American History and Genealogy Project

Harrison, NY to Hartwood, NY

Page 267

Harrison, t., Westchester co., N. Y., 3 e. White Plains, 134 s. Albany. The surface is generally level; soil, a fertile loam, and well cultivated. Drained by Blind brook, and Mamaroneck cr., which flow into Long Island sound. It has 7 sch. 180 scholars. Pop. 1,139.

Harrison, t., Hudson co., N. J. Situated between the Hackensack and Passaic rivers. Surface level, mostly salt marsh. It has 1 pottery, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,550. 4 sch. 127 scholars. Pop. 1,156.

Harrison, t., Potter co., Pa. It has 1 saw m., 4 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 497.

Harrison, p-v., Crosby t., Hamilton co., O., 126 w. s. w. Columbus, 21 n. w. Cincinnati, 510 W. Situated on the n. side of Whitewater r. It contains 3 churches, 6 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 carding machine, 100 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. The main street runs on the line between Ohio and Indiana, so that about one third of the inhabitants are in Indiana.

Harrison, t., Carroll co., O. It contains the V. of Harrisburg. It has 1 school. Pop. 1,308.

Harrison, t., Champaign co., O. Watered by Stony cr. The line of the Mad River and Lake Erie railroad passes through it. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 2 saw m. Pop. 790.

Harrison, t., Darke co., O., contains New Madison and Braffitsville villages. It has 2 sch. 63 scholars. Pop. 1,667.

Harrison, t., Gallia co., O. Drained by Racoon cr. Pop. 688.

Harrison, t., Jackson co., O. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,050! Pop. 378.

Harrison, t., Knox co., O. Watered by Vernon r. It has 7 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 833.

Harrison, t., Van Wert co., O. Pop. 163.

Harrison, t., Licking co., O. Watered by the s. fork of Licking r. The surface is level; soil, fertile. It contains the reservoir of the Licking summit of the Ohio canal. It has 9 sch. 292 scholars. Pop. 870.

Harrison, t., Logan co., O. It has 3 sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 658.

Harrison, t., Preble co., O. The soil is fertile, and tolerably well cultivated. Pop. 1,706.

Harrison, t., Scioto co., O. The surface is hilly; soil, fertile. It contains 4 grist in., 3 saw m. Pop. 636. 1 Harrison, t., Pickaway co., O. Situated on the e. side of Scioto r. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,000;, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,810. 6 sch. 133 scholars. Pop. 1,149.

Harrison, t, Blackford co., Ia. Pop. 387.

Harrison, t., Clay co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 grist m., 1 school. Pop. 674.

Harrison, t., Hancock co., Ia. It has 2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. Pop. 399.

Harrison, t, Harrison co., Ia. It has 3 tanneries, 9 distilleries, 1 powder m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 3 flouring m., 6 grist m., 6 saw m. 2 sch. 56 scholars. Pop. 3,253.

Harrison, t., Henry co., Ia. Pop. 788.

Harrison, t., Owen co., Ia. It has 2 sch. 175 scholars. Pop. 401.

Harrison, t., Perry co., O. It has 1 pottery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,565. 5 sch. 122 scholars. Pop. 1,034.

Harrison, t., Macomb co., Mich. The soil is fertile. It has 9 sch. 181 scholars. Pop. 395.

Harrison, p-v., Union co., Ark., 98 s. Little Rock, 1,163 W.

Harrison, p-o., Louisa co., Iowa.

Harrison, p-v., Hamilton co., Tenn.

Harrisonburg, p-v., capital of Rockingham co., Va., 131 n. w. Richmond, 131 W. It contains a court house, jail, market house, 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, a printing office, with a weekly newspaper, 150 dwellings, and about 1,100 inhabitants.

Harrisonburg, p-v., capital of Catahoola par., La., 236 n. w. New Orleans, 1,150 W. Situated on the w. side of Ouchitta r. It contains a court house and a few dwellings.

Harrison's Mills, p-o., Crawford co., Mo., 88 s. e. Jefferson city, 902 W. Situated on the e. side of Maramec r.

Harrison's Tan Yard, p-o., Christian co., Ky., 206 s. w. Frankfort, 742 W.

Harrison Valley, p-o., Potter co., Pa., 174 n. w. Harrisburg, 288 W.

Harrisonville, p-o., Gloucester, co., N. J.

Harrisonville, p-v., Shelby co., Ky., 39 w. Frankfort, 557 W.

Harrisonville, p-o., Bedford co., Pa.

Harrisonville, p-v., Monroe co., Ill., 127 s. s. w. Springfield, 840 W. Situated on the e. bank of the Mississippi r. Contains a store and several dwellings.

Harrisonville, p-v., Meigs co., O.

Harrisonville, p-v., capital of Van Buren co., Mo., 174 w. Jefferson city, 1,073 W. Situated on the n. side of Grand r., a branch of Osage r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.

Harrisville, p-v., Butler co., Pa., 224 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 264 W. It contains 2 stores, and 10 or 12 dwellings.

Harrisville, p-v., Short Creek t., Harrison co., O., 123 e. n. e. Columbus, 278 W. It contains 3 stores.

Harrisville, p-v., Dinwiddie co., Va., 53 s. Richmond, 172 W.

Harrisville, p-o., Montgomery co., N. C. 126 w. s. w. Raleigh, 400 W.

Harrodsburg, p-v., capital of Mercer co., Ky., 31 s. Frankfort, 553 W. Situated 8 ms. s. of Kentucky r., on a small branch of Salt river. It was early settled. It contains a Presbyterian and a Methodist church, a bank, an academy, 2 sch. 55 scholars. Pop. 1,254. It has a mineral spring much resorted to. Here is located Bacon College, founded in 1836, and contains a president and 8 professors, or other instructors, 203 students, and 1,200 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is on the last Friday in September.

Hart, County, Ky. Situated a little s. w. of the centre of the state, and contains 432 sq. ms. Watered by Green r. and Bacon cr. The surface is level; soil, very fertile. Capital, Murafordsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,599, sheep 6,816, swine 9,933; wheat 21,869 bushels produced, rye 1,950, Ind. corn 144,772, oats 64,209, potatoes 4,909, tobacco 346,624 pounds, cotton 2,471; 8 stores, cap. $35,500; 2 cotton fac. 588 sp., 3 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 13 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $69,855. 9 sch. 241 scholars. Pop. whites 5,978, slaves 1,009, free col'd 44; total, 7,031.

Hart, t, Warwick co., Ia. It has 20 stores, cap. $20,000; 3 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 888.

Hartfield, v., Chautauque t., Chautauque co., N. Y. Situated on a stream 1 m. n. Chautauque Lake, and contains 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, 30 dwellings, and 180 inhabitants.

Hartford, County, Ct. Situated n. of the centre of the state, and contains 727 sq. miles. Organized in 1666, when it contained several other counties. Connecticut r. runs through the middle of the county. Farmington r. and Mill r. enter the Connecticut on the w., and Podunk, Scantic, and other small tributaries on the e. Its streams afford good water power. Capital, Hartford. There were in 1840, neat cattle 35,632, sheep 48,414, swine 19,562; wheat 13,449 bushels produced, rye 177,516, Ind. corn 278,863, buckwheat 66,571, barley 1,394, oats 219,084, potatoes 278,863, tobacco 471,380 pounds, elk cocoons 2,826, sugar 5,600; 13 houses in foreign trade, cap. $383,000; 371 stores, cap. $2,316,345; 8 lumber yards, can. $83,000; cap. invested in fisheries, $3,540; value of hardware and cutlery manufactured, $325,900; 28 fulling m., 20 woolen fac, 12 cotton fac. 12,930 sp., 4 dyeing and print, estab., 26 tanneries, 32 distilleries, 7 powder m., 7 potteries, 2 rope fac, 1 flouring m., 51 grist m., 81 saw m., 19 paper fac, 11 printing offices, 7 binderies, 6 periodicals, 1 daily, 10 weekly, 3 semiweekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $3,161,365; 2 colleges, 118 students, 18 acad. 1,043 students, 240 sch. 10,983 scholars. Pop. 55,629.

Page 268

Hartford, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 34 w. Augusta, 600 W. It is a good agricultural t. The surface is uneven, and the soil adapted to grain and grazing. It has 1 store, 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. hi manufac. $1,300. 528 scholars in schools. Pop. 1,472.

Hartford, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 52 s. s. e. Montpelier, 487 W. The surface is uneven, and the soil fertile. Watered by White and Waterqueechy rivers. Connecticut r. bounds it on the E. The principal v. is situated on Connecticut r. at the mouth of White r. There are in the t., 6 stores, cap. $44,000; 3 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac $155,780. 21 sch. 683 scholars. Pop. 2,194.

Hartford, Connecticut

Hartford, t., Susquehanna co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $11,000; 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,850. 1 acad. 150 students, 10 sch. 230 scholars. Pop. 1,179.

Page 269

Hartford, p-t., Washington co., N. Y., 14 n. Salem, 57 n. n. e. Albany. The surface is hilly, and the soil a sandy and clay loam. Drained by branches of Wood cr. The v. is situated on the northern post road, and contains 1 Baptist and 1 Universalist church, 3 stores, 25 dwellings, and 150 inhabitants. The t. contains 5 stores, cap. $14,500; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 acad. 10 students, 7 sch. 185 scholars. Pop. about 2,164.

Hartford, p-v., capital of Ohio co., Ky., 154 w. s. w. Frankfort, 696 W. Situated on the s. side of Rough cr., a main branch of Kentucky r., and near the junction of Mead cr. It contains a court house, jail, and 309 inhabitants.

Hartford, pt, Trumbull co., O., 187 n. e. Columbus, 299 W. The soil is fertile and well cultivated. It contains good quarries of building stone. It has 2 churches, 11 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,123.

Hartford, t., Licking co., O. Situated near the centre of the state. The village contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 30 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. There are in the t., 6 sch. 350 scholars. Pop. 1,355.

Hartford, v., Pulaski co., Ga. Situated on the E. side of Ocmulgee r., and contains 12 stores, and about 40 dwellings. Sea shells are found here in great, abundance, on the banks of the r., which is 130 miles distant from the ocean.

Hartford, p-v., Delaware co., Ia., 93 n. e. Indianapolis, 525 W.

Hartford, p-v., capital of Blackford co., Ia., 81 n. E. Indianapolis, 552 W.

Hartford, t., Van Buren co., Mich. Pop. 76.

Hartford, t., Pike co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 21 scholars. Pop. 776.

Hartford, p-v., Knox co., Ill., 93 n. n. w. Springfield, 525 W.

Hartford, p-v., Des Moines co., Iowa.

Hartland, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 47 n. by e. Augusta, 642 W. The soil is fertile, adapted to gram and to grazing. A large pond lies in its n. part, from which flows a main branch of Sebasticook r. Incorporated in 1820. It has 1 saw m., 8 sch. 432 scholars. Pop. 1,023.

Hartland, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 62 s. s. e. Montpelier, 477 W. Situated on the w. bank of Connecticut r. The surface is diversified, and the soil is fertile. Drained by Waterqueechy r. and Lull's brook, which afford water power. Chartered in 1761 by N. H., and in 1766 by N. Y. First settled in 1763. It has 6 stores, cap. $24,000; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $49,500. 1 acad. 30 students, 20 sch. 791 scholars. Pop. 2,341.

Hartland, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 24 n. n. e. Hartford, 360 W. The surface is mountainous, and the soil adapted to grazing. Watered by the e. branch of Farmington r. Incorporated in 1761. It has 4 stores, cap. $6,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $44,000. 9 sch. 179 scholars. Pop. 1,060.

Hartland, p-t., Niagara co., N. Y., 270 w. by N. Albany, 410 W. The surface is level; soil, sandy and calcareous loam. Watered by Johnson's and Eighteen Mile creeks, which flow into Lake Ontario. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,500; 2 fulling m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,550. I 1 acad. 19 students, 8 sch. 452 scholars. Pop., 2,350.

Hartland, p-t., Huron co., O., 9 s. e. Norwalk, 106 n. by e. Columbus, 384 W. It has 5 sch. 155 scholars. Pop. 925.

Hartland, p-t., Livingston co., Mich., 52 w. by n. Detroit, 571 W. It has 4 sch. 103 scholars. Pop. 570.

Hartland, p-v., McHenry co., Ill., 226 n. n. e. Springfield, 778 W.

Hartley, t., Union co., Pa. It has 3 stores, 2 fulling m., 1 forge, 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 3 flouring m., 2 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $23,750. 7 sch. 280 scholars. Pop 1,866.

Hartleyton, p-v., Hartley t., Union co., Pa., 81 n. Harrisburg, 191 W. It contains a Lutheran church, 3 stores, and 30 or 40 dwellings.

Hart's Cross Roads, p-o., Crawford co., Pa., 243 n. w. Harrisburg, 306 W.

Hart's Grove, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 181 n. e. Columbus, 332 W. Organized in 1820. It has 1 store, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Pop 553.

Hartshorn, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 61 n. w. Raleigh, 304 W.

Hart's Location, p-o., Coos co., N. H., 88 n. Concord, 574 W.

Hart's Mills, p-o., Ripley co., Ia., 78 s. e. Indianapolis, 540 W.

Hart's Village, p-o., Washington t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 80 s. Albany, 314 W.

Hartsville, p-v., Tyringham t., Berkshire co., Mass., 134 w. by s. Boston, 361 W.

Hartsville, p-v., Manlius t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 128 n. by w. Albany, 354 W. It contains 1 store, 1 cotton fac, 1 woolen fac, and about 30 dwellings.

Hartsville, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., 108 E. Harrisburg, 157 W. Situated on the line between Warminster and Warwick townships, and contains a store, and 12 or 15 dwellings.

Hartsville, p-v., Sumner co., Tenn., 45 n. e. Nashville, 643 W. Situated on the n. side of Cumberland r., and contains 1 church, 1 female seminary, and 300 inhabitants.

Hartsville, p-v., Bartholomew co., Ia., 54 s. Indianapolis, 566 W.

Hartsville, p-o., Darlington Dist., S. C, 105 E. by n. Columbus, 477 W.

Hartsville, p-o., Stark co., O., 136 n. e. Columbus, 321 W.

Hartsville, p-o., Shiawassee co., Mich., 83 N. w. Detroit, 586 W.

Hartville, v., capital of Wright co., Mo. Situated on the N. side of Wood's Fork of Gasconade r.

Hartwick, p-t., Otsego co., N. Y., 74 w. Albany, 367 W. The surface is hilly; soil, a fertile sandy loam. Drained by Otego cr. and Susquehanna r. The v. is situated in the valley of the Otego cr., in the n. w. part of the t., and contains 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist church, 7 stores, 1 iron foundry, 1 grist to., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 70 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. There are in the t., 7 stores, cap. $19,200; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac 2,616 sp., 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $79,200. 2 acad. 75 students, 17 sch. 1,006 scholars. Pop. 2,490.

Hartwick Seminary, p-v., Hartwick t., Otsego co., N. Y., 73 w. Albany, 369 W. Situated on Susquehanna r., in the e. part of the t. Here is situated the "Hartwick Seminary," under the direction of the Lutherans, for a literary and theological education. Founded in 1816, by a donation of $80,000, by John Christopher Hartwick. The number of students is small. It has a library of 1,000 vols. Here are also a Lutheran church, and about 20 dwellings.

Hart wood, p-o., Sullivan co., N. Y., 118 s. w. Albany, 276 W.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work