Hartwood, VA to Heidelberg, PA
Hartwood, p-o., Stafford co., Va., 72 n. Richmond, 63 W.
Harvard, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 32 n. w. Boston, 472 VV.
Organized in 1732. Nashua r. runs on its w. border. Watered by
Stony r., which proceeds from a large pond, near the centre of
the t. The v. at the centre, near the outlet of the pond,
contains 1 Congregational and 1 Unitarian church. In the n. e.
part of the t. is a society of Shakers. There are in the t., 3
stores, cap. $15,500; 3 paper fac, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $23,900. 9 sch. 434 scholars. Pop. 1,571.
Harveys, p-o., Greene co., Pa., 223 s. w. Harrisburg, 239 W.
Harveysburgh, p-v., Wayne t., Warren co., O., 81 n. E. Columbus.
455 W. It contains about 40 dwellings, and 300 inhabitants.
Harvey's Store, p-o., Charlotte co., Va., 110 s. vv. Richmond,
Harveysville, p-v., Luzerne co., Pa., 108 n. e. Harrisburg, 219
Harwich, p-t., Barnstable co., Mass., 89 s. E. Boston, 490 W. It
has the Atlantic on the s. Incorporated in 1694. Watered by Long
pond and Herring r. its outlet, which affords water power. 2,310
bush, salt were manufactured in 1840. The cod and mackerel
fisheries employ most of the inhabitants. It has 12 stores, cap.
$21,850; 8 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $6,000. 13 sch. 1,127
scholars. Pop. 2,930.
Harwinton, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 24 w. Hartford, 334 W. The
surface is elevated and uneven, and the soil adapted to grazing.
Incorporated in 1737. Watered by Naugatuc r., which runs on its
w. border, and Lead Mine r. its tributary. The v. contains 1
Congregational and 1 Episcopal church, and 20 or 30 dwellings.
There are in the t., 1 cotton fac, 4 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,900. 12 sch. 312 scholars. Pop. 1,201.
Haskellville, p-o., Lawrence co., O.
Haskinsville, p-v., Greene co., Ky., 97 s. s. w. Frankfort, 620
Hastings, p-t., Oswego co., N. Y., 150 w. n. w. Albany, 371 W.
The surface is level; soil, sandy loam, adapted to grass.
Drained by Salmon cr. on the n., and the outlet of Oneida Lake
on its s. border. It has 6 stores, cap. $9,950; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $9,350. 1
acad. 48 students, 22 sch. 519 scholars. Population 1,983.
Hastings, v., Yonkers t., Westchester co., N. Y., 20 n. New
York. Situated on the e. side of Hudson r., and has a convenient
landing. It contains a store, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Hastings, p-o., Richland co., O., 70 if. by E. Columbus, 376 W.
Hastings, p-t., capital of Barry co., Mich., 144 w. by n.
Detroit, 609 W. The v. is situated on Thornapple r., which
affords extensive water power. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufactures $800. 3 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 279.
Hat, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 50 s. E. Harrisburg, 125 W.
Hat Creek, p-o., Campbell co., Va.
Hatborough, p-v., Moreland t., Montgomery co., Pa., 17 n.
Philadelphia, 112 e. Harrisburg, 153 W. It is pleasantly
situated near Pennypack cr., and contains a well endowed
academy, a public library, 2 stores, 1 grist m., and over 40
Hatchersville, p-o., Chesterfield co., Va.
Hatchy, p-o., Hayward co., Tenn., 164 w. Nashville, 849 W.
Hatchy, r., Tenn., rises in McNairy co., and, flowing n. w., w.,
and s. w., over 100 ms., falls into the Mississippi, at
Hatfield, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 97 w. Boston, 334 W.
Situated on the w. side of Connecticut r. The soil is generally
fertile. Watered by Mill r. It contains a pleasant v., which has
a congregational church. A bridge across Connecticut r. connects
it with Hadley. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000: 1 grist in., 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $7,700. 6 sch. 235 scholars. Pop. 933.
Hatfield, t., Montgomery co., Pa., 24 n. w. Philadelphia. The
surface is rolling; soil, sandy loam. Watered by Neshaminy and
Towamensing creeks. It contains the v. of Lexington. It has 3
stores, cap. $7,000. Pop. 895.
Hatteras, cape, N. C, a stormy and dangerous low promontory on
the s. w. end of an island, composed of sand and rock, which
encloses Pamlico sound. It is the dread of navigators, and has
been the occasion of many shipwrecks. Situated in 35° 15' n.
lat., and 75° 30' w. Ion.
Havanna, p-v., Catherines t., Chemung co., N. Y., 194 w. s. w.
Albany, 299 W. Situated on the inlet of Seneca lake, 3 miles
from its mouth, and on the line of the Chemung canal.
Incorporated in 1836. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist
church, 9 stores, 1 warehouse, 1 cotton fac, 2 flouring m., 1
saw m., 1 oil m., 1 plaster m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 2 boat
yards, 100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants.
Havanna, v., Licking co., O. Pop. 54.
Havanna, p-v., Greene co., Ala., 25 s. Tuscaloosa, 844 W.
Havanna, p-v., capital, Mason co., Ill., 45 n. n. w.
Springfield, 825 W. Situated on the E. side of Illinois r.,
directly opposite to the mouth of Spoon r. It is on a high sandy
ridge, 5 J feet above the highest flood of the r. It has a
Havensville, p-o., Bradford co., Pa., 157 n. Harrisburg, 264 W.
Haverford, p-t., Delaware co., Pa., 95 s. e. Harrisburg, 8
Philadelphia, 137 W. The surface is hilly; soil, a fertile sandy
loam, well cultivated. Darby cr. runs on its w. boundary. Cobb's
cr. runs through the E. part. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,000; 1
lumber yard, cap. $4,500; 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 cotton
fac 150 sp., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$55,000. 1 college, 78 students, 3 sch. 2J5 scholars. Pop.
Haverhill, p-t., semi-capital of Grafton co., N. H, 70 n. n. w.
Concord, 515 W. Situated on the E. side of Connecticut r.
Incorporated in 1764. Watered by Hazen's and Oliverian brooks,
which flow into Connecticut r. The principal v., called
Haverhill Corner, is pleasantly situated on the s. side of
Oliverian brook, near its entrance into Connecticut r. It
contains a court house, jail, banking house, an academy, a
Congregational church, a printing office, and about 60
dwellings, many of them handsome. There are in the t. 6 stores,
cap. $2,300; 2 tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly paper, 4
grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac $40,075. 9 sch. 532 scholars.
Haverhill, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 32 n. by w. Boston, 462 W.
Situated on the n. side of Merrimac r., at the head of
navigation, opposite to Bradford, with which it is connected by
an elegant bridge, 800 feet long. There is another bridge in the
e. part of the t., 1,000 feet long, where is another v.,
containing a Baptist church. The principal v. contains 4
churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Unitarian, and 1
Universalist, a bank, 2 printing offices, and various
manufacturing establishments. Vessels of 100 tons come to this
place. There are in the t. 31 stores, cap. 365,000; 2 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers, 5 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $345,450. 1
acad. 70 students, 25 sch. 1,027 scholars. Pop. 4,336.
Haverstraw, p-t, Rockland co., N.Y., 115 s. Albany, 271 W. The
surface is mountainous, with some fertile valleys. Soil, clay
loam. Hudson r. bounds it on the e. It has convenient landings.
The v., on Hudson r., contains 2 churches, an academy, 6 stores,
1 ship yard, 60 dwellings, and 400 inhabitants. A steamboat and
several sloops ply between this place and New York. Stony Point,
famous in the revolutionary war, lies in this t. There are in
the t. 9 stores, cap. $25,500; 1 lumber yard, cap. $5,000; 1
furnace, 2 forges, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1
paper fac, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $221,000. 6
sch. 212 scholars. Pop. 3,449.
Haviland's Hollow, p-o., Patterson t., Putnam co., N. Y., 95 s.
Albany, 298 W.
Havre de Grace, p-v., seaport, Harford co., Md.. 64 n. e.
Annapolis, 74 W. Situated on the w. bank of Susquehanna r., at
its entrance into Chesapeake Bay. The Wilmington and Baltimore
railroad passes through the place, and crosses the Susquehanna
r. by a steam ferry. The Susquehanna canal terminates here, and
connects the Chesapeake with the canals of Pa. It contains 1
Episcopal Church, several stores, a printing office, and 1,200
inhabitants. It has valuable shad and herring fisheries. It was
burned in 1813 by the British, under Admiral Cockburn.
Hawesville, p-v., capital of Hancock co., Ky., 135 w. by s.
Frankfort, 677 W. Situated on the s. bank of the Ohio r., at the
mouth of Lead cr. It has a court house. 1 Baptist and 1
Methodist church, and 420 inhabitants.
Hawfield, p-v., Orange co., N. C, 48 n. w. Raleigh, 232 W.
Hawkins, County, Tenn. Situated in the N. E.
part of the state, and contains 753 sq ms. The surface is
mountainous. Drained by Holston and Clinch rivers, and their
tributaries. Capital, Rogersville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 13,198, sheep 18,837, swine 54,320; wheat 100,777 bush,
produced, rye 3.992, Ind. corn 697,966, oats 206.612. potatoes
51,754, tobacco 53,140 pounds, cotton 929, sugar 51,030; 13
stores, cap. $112,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac.
1,149 sp., 12 tanneries, 53 distilleries, 1 pottery, 7 flouring
m., 46 grist m., 32 saw m., 3 oil m., 1 printing office, 1
weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $139,744. 1 acad. 20
students, 50 sch. 1,037 scholars. Pop. whites 13,403, slaves
1,499, free col'd 128; total. 15,035.
Hawkinsville, p-o., Sussex co., Va., 43 s. Richmond, 162 W.
Hawkinsville, p-v., capital of Pulaski co., Ga., 71 s.
Milledgeville, 718 W. Situated on the w. bank of the Ocmulgee r.
It has a court house, jail, and bank.
Hawley, pt.. Franklin co., Mass., 111 w. by: N. Boston, 405 W.
The surface is elevated and uneven, and the soil adapted to
grazing. Watered by branches of Deerfield r. Incorporated in,
1792. Iron ore is found here. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,200; 2
tanneries, 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,550. 10 sch. 264
scholars. Pop. 977
Haw Patch, p-o., La Grange co., Ia., 157 n. e. Indianapolis, 596
Haw, r., N. C, rises in Rockingham and Guilford counties, and in
Chatham co. unites with Deep r., to form the n. w. branch of
Cape Fear r.
Haw Creek, t., Morgan co., Mo. Pop. 603.
Haw River, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 59 n. w. Raleigh, 292 W.
Hawsburg, p-v., Rappahannock co., Va., 130 n. n. w. Richmond, 87
Hawsertown, p-o., Owen co., Ia., 70 s. w. Indianapolis, 641 W.
Haycock, t., Bucks co., Pa., 12 Doylestown. The surface is
hilly; soil, gravel. Watered by Tohickon creek and its
tributaries. It has 1 tannery, 4 potteries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $5,200. 3 sch. 65 scholars. Pop. 1,021.
Hayfield, p-t., Crawford co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1
distillery, 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,200. Pop. 1,401.
Haydensville, p-o., Hampshire co., Mass., 93 w. Boston, 386 W.
Haydon's, p-o., Owen co., Ky., 37 n. Frankfort, 548 W.
Haysville, p-v., Vermilion t., Richland co., O., 78 n. n. e.
Columbus, 363 W. It is a small v., containing 2 stores.
Hay Market, p-v., Prince William co., Va., 114 n. Richmond, 46
Haymeadow, p-o., Wilkes co., N. C, 184 w. by n. Raleigh, 338 W.
Haynes, p-o., Grainger co., Tenn., 220 e. Nashville, 485 W.
Haynesville, p-o., Aroostook co., Me., 159 n. e. Augusta, 754 W.
Haynesville, p-v., Ohio co., Ky., 141 s. w. Frankfort, 633 W.
Haynesville, p-v., York dist., S. C, 86 n. Columbia, 437 W.
Haynesville, p-v., Houston co., Ga., 69 s. w. Milledgeville, 725
Haynesville, p-v., capital of Lowndes co., Ala., 116 s. E.
Tuscaloosa, 859 W. Situated on the n. side of Big Swamp cr., and
contains a court house, and several dwellings.
Haystack, p-o., Surry co., N. C, 160 w. by n. Raleigh, 341 W.
Haywood, County, N. C. Situated in the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 1,890 sq. ms. The Blue Ridge
lies on the s. side. The Smoky mountains are on its n. w.
border. Drained by the head branches of Tennessee r., the chief
of which are Cowee and Tuckaseegee crs. The surface is elevated,
being in its lower parts 1,503 ft. above the level of the ocean.
Capital, Waynesville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,478,
sheep 5,293, swine 9,135; wheat 19,559 bushels I produced, rye
7,735, Ind. corn 183,554, buckwheat 2,044, oats 36,263, potatoes
15,916, tobacco 10,628 pounds; 7 stores, cap. $52,000; 5
tanneries, 17 distilleries, 3 flouring m., 9 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $11,308. 1 sch. 64 scholars. Pop. whites 4,650,
slaves 304, free col'd 21; total, 4,975.
Haywood, County, Tenn. Situated in the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 600 sq. miles. Watered on the s.
by the Hatchy River and its branches; and in the n. by the s.
fork of Forked Deer r. and branches. Capital, Brownsville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 15,348, sheep 5,182, swine 53,850;
wheat 54,100 bush, produced, rye 4,700, Ind. corn 710,500, oats
80,600, potatoes 75,000, rice 4,500 pounds, tobacco 193,500,;
cotton 3,175,000; 21 stores, cap. $177,000; 5 tanneries, 6
distilleries, 2 flouring m., 9 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $45,200. 4 acad.
182 students, 23 sch. 493 scholars. Pop. whites 7,575, slaves
6,257, free col'd 33; total, 13,870.
Haywood, p-v., Chatham co., N. C, 31 w. Raleigh, 319 W. Situated
at the confluence of Haw and Deep rivers to form Cape Fear r.
Hazard Forge, p-o., Hardy co., Va., 188 n. w. Richmond, 150 W.
Hazle Green, p-v., Madison co., Ala., 171 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa,
Hazle Green, p-o., Morgan co., Ky., 100
e. by s. Frankfort, 511 W.
Hazle Green, p-o., Grant co., Wis., 83 w. Madison, 891 W.
Hazleton, p-v., Hazle t., Luzerne co., Pa., 106 n. e.
Harrisburg, 214 W.
Hazle, t., Luzerne co., Pa. It has 4 stores, cap. $ 15,000; 1
furnace, 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,200. 3 sch. 125 scholars.
Hazlewood, p-o., Chester dist., S. C., 49 n. Columbia, 456 W.
Head of Harbor, v., Smithtown t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 50 e. New
York city. Pleasantly situated around the head of Stony Brook
harbor. It has about 25 dwellings.
Head of Paint, p-o., Morgan co., Ky., 125 w. Frankfort, 469 W.
Head of Sassafras, p-o., Kent co., Md., 70 N. E. Annapolis, 110
Headley's Mills, p-o., Fountain co., Ia., 85 w. N. w.
Indianapolis, 656 \V.
Healing Springs, p-o., Davidson co., N. C, 136 w. Raleigh, 373
Heard, County, Ga. Situated on the w. line of
the state. It contains about 175 sq. ms. The Chattahoochee r.
enters its n. e. corner and passes through it. The surface is
level; soil, moderately fertile. Capital, Franklin. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 5,329, sheep 1,686, swine 12,019; wheat
19,741 bush, produced, Ind. com 165,597, oats 8,806, potatoes
5,144, cotton 1,846,593 pounds; 14 stores, cap. $33,000; 2
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 11 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $24,110. 2 acad. 78 students, 5 sch., 161
scholars. Pop. whites 3,749, slaves 1,577, free col'd 3; total,
Heards Ridge, p-o., Penobscot co., Me., 120 N. e. Augusta, 713
Heart Prairie, p-o., Walworth co., Wis.
Heath, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 109 w. n. w. Boston, 457 W.
The surface is mountainous; soil, adapted to grazing.
Incorporated in 1785. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m.,
2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $3,600.
9 sch. 266 scholars. Pop. 895.
Heath, t., Harrison co., Ia. It has 4 distilleries, 4 grist m.
Heathsville, p-v., capital of Northumberland co., Va., 98 e. by
n. Richmond, 157 W. Beautifully situated near the head of Coan
r. It contains a court house, jail, Methodist church, an
academy, 1 flouring m., 1 tannery, and about 60 dwellings.
Heathsville, p-v., Halifax co., N. C, 82 n. e. Raleigh, 228 W.
Heaton's Furnace, p-o., Trumbull co., O., 169 n. e. Columbus,
Hebardsville, p-v., Alexander t., Athens co., O., 6 s. Athens,
78 s. s. e. Columbus, 345 W.
Hebberdsville, p-v., Henderson co., Ky., 183 w. by s. Frankfort,
Hebron, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 45 w. s. w. Augusta, 586 W.
Incorporated in 1792. The soil is fertile. Drained by a branch
of Androscoggin r. It has 3 saw m., 1 acad. 20 students, 8 sch.
396 scholars. Pop. 945.
Hebron, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 40 n. w. Concord, 512 W.
Incorporated in 1792. About half of Newfound lake occupies its
s. part. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 tannery, 2 saw m., 1
acad. 40 students, 6 sch. 192 scholars. Pop. 508.
Hebron, p-t., Tolland co., Ct., 25 s. e. Hartford, 343 W.
Incorporated in 1707. Hop r., a branch of Willimantic r., forms
the n. e. boundary. North pond, in the s. part, affords by its
outlet, water power. The surface is uneven and hilly; soil,
considerably fertile. The t. contains 4 churches, 2
Congregational, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist. The principal v.
contains a handsome Episcopal church, of Gothic architecture, a
Congregational church, and a number of neat houses. There are in
the t., 7 stores, cap. $13,900; 3 cotton fac. 1,400 sp., 2
furnaces, 2 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 1 paper fac, 6 grist m.,
11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $51,000. 10 sch. 344 scholars. Pop.
Hebron, p-t., Washington co., N. Y., 54 n. Albany, 424 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, sandy loam. Drained by Black cr. It has
9 stores, cap. $24,050; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries,
3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,888. 18 sch. 813
scholars. Pop. 2,498.
Hebron, t., Potter co., Pa. Pop. 162.
Hebron, p-t., Licking co., O., 27 n. e. Columbus, 366 W. It has
1 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 473.
Hebron, p-v., Washington co., Ga., 16 s. e. Milledgeville, 664
Hebron, p-v., McHenry co., Ill., 230 n. n. e. Springfield, 765
Hecktown, p-v., Lower Nazareth t., Northampton co., Pa., 99 e.
n. e. Harrisburg, 192 W. It contains a Lutheran church, 1 store,
and about 12 or 15 dwellings.
Hector, p-t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 14 w. Ithaca, 184 w. s. w.
Albany, 311 W. The surface is elevated and undulating; soil,
fertile, and adapted to grass. Seneca Lake bounds it on the w.,
and receives some of its streams, while others flow e. into
Cayuga Lake. It contains 2 stores, cap. $17,000; 2 fulling m., 4
tanneries, 1 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,475. 39
sch. 1,932 scholars. Pop. 5,652.
Hector, p-t., Potter co., Pa. It has 1 grist m. Pop. 119.
Hedgesville, p-o., Berkeley co., Va., 176 n by w. Richmond, 84
Heildersburg, p-v., Tyrone t., Adams co. Pa., 25 s. e.
Harrisburg, 85 W.
Heidelberg, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is level or hilly;
soil, calcareous loam and gravel, and very fertile, adapted to
grain and to grass. Watered by Tulpehocken, Spring and Cacoosing
creeks. It has a Moravian church, and one common to Lutherans
and Presbyterians. It contains 5 stores, cap. $17,000; 1
furnace, 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 1 distillery,
1 paper fac, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,625. Pop.
Heidelberg, t., Lebanon co., Pa. The surface is level; soil,
calcareous. Drained on the n. e. by Mill cr., a tributary of
Tulpehocken cr., on the s. w. by Hammer cr., a branch of
Conestoga r., both of which afford water power. The v. is 8 ms.
s. e. of Lebanon. It has 6 stores, cap. $32,500; 1 fulling m., 4
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 5 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$14,141. 4 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 2,827.
Heidelberg, t., Lehigh co., Pa. The surface is uneven, the Blue
Ridge crossing the N. part. The soil is a white gravel. The
Lehigh Water Gap, where the r. passes the mountain, is in its n.
e. point. Drained by Lehigh r., which runs on its e. boundary,
and by Trout and Jordan's creeks. It contains 1 Lutheran church,
4 stores, cap. $9,500; 1 furnace, 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 29 distilleries, 1 gun and rifle fac, 9 grist m., 7
saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $4,300. 5 sch. 140 scholars. Pop.
Heidelberg, t., York co., Pa., 15 s. w. York. The surface is
level; soil, a fertile calcareous loam. Watered by Codorus and
Hammer creeks. It contains 2 stores, cap. $3,600; 1 woolen fac,
4 tanneries, 16 distilleries, 9 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $46,720. 6 sen. 157 scholars. Pop. 1,528.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!