Helderbergs, NY to Hereford, PA
Helderbergs, hills or mountains, N. Y., extend through the w.
part of Albany co. into Schoharie co., and unite with the
Catskill range. They are 400 or 500 feet high, precipitous, and
consist of limestone, on a basis of graywacke. The rocks contain
fossil remains and curious caverns.
Helena, p-v., Brasher t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 236 n. by w.
Albany, 535 W. Situated on St. Regis r., and contains 1 store, 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 20 dwellings, and about 100 inhabitants.
Helena, p-v., Mason co., Ky., 87 n. e. Frankfort, 475 W.
Helena, p-v., capital, Philips co., Ark., 122 e. Little Rock,
1,011 W. Situated on the w. bank of Mississippi r. It contains a
court house, jail, a U. S. land office, 10 stores, cap. $77,000;
1 tannery, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, and about
Helena, p-v., Iowa co., Wis., 53 n. w. Madison, 906 W.
Hellam, pt, York co., Pa., 29 s. Harrisburg, 95 W. The surface
is level; soil underlaid with limestone, and fertile. Codorus
cr. forms its n. w. boundary. Grist cr. flows through it into
the Susquehanna r., which runs on its n. e. boundary. A bridge
here crosses the Susquehanna, 5,690 feet in length. It has 8
stores, cap. $36,850; 2 lumber yards, cap. $15,500; 1 furnace, 1
forge, 2 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 5 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $30,160. 9 sch. 225 scholars. Pop. 1,421.
Hellen, p-v., Clearfield co., Pa., 176 n. w. Harrisburg, 268 W.
Hellerstown, p-v., Northampton co., Pa., 97 e. n. e. Harrisburg,
183 W. It contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., and 15 or 20 dwellings.
Hell Gate, or Helle Gatt, N. Y., a dangerous pass in the strait
called East river, between Great Barn Island and Long Island, 7
ms. n. e. of New York. It is formed by projecting rocks, which
confine the water to a narrow and crooked channel, occasioning
strong eddy currents, dangerous to vessels at certain times of
the tide. The largest vessels pass it readily at high water.
Steamboats pass it at all times, and also small vessels, with a
Helvitia, p-o., Madison co., Ill., 104 s. Springfield, 788 W.
Helt, t., Vermilion co., Ia. It has 1 distillery. Cap. in
manufac. $500. 1 sch. 26 scholars. Pop. 2,125.
Hemlock, t., Columbia co., Pa. The surface is diversified; soil,
loam and clay. Drained by Mahoning, Great and Little Fishing,
and Hemlock creeks. The state canal follows the Susquehanna r.
along its s. boundary. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,500; 1 fulling
m., 1 flouring m., 2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $2,970. 4 sch.
140 scholars. Pop. 957.
Hemlock Lake, p-o., Livonia t., Livingston co., N. Y.
Hemlock, lake, N. Y., lies on the e. border Livingston co.,
extending into Ontario co., 6 ms. long, and 1 wide. Its waters
flow into the outlet of Honeoye Lake.
Hemlock Mills, p-o., Alleghany co., Pa.
Hempfield, p-v., East Hempfield t., Lancaster co., Pa., 40 s. e.
Harrisburg, 114 W.
Hempfield, t., Westmoreland co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil,
loam and gravel. Drained by Bush and Big and Little Sewickly crs.
It has 2 stores, cap. $2,800; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 7
distilleries, 3 flouring m., 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,200. 1 acad. 40 students, 12 sch. 312 scholars. Pop.
Hemphill's Store, p-o., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 170 w. by s.
Raleigh, 409 W.
Hempstead, County, Ark. Situated in the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 1,150 sq. miles. Red r. runs on
its s. w. border, and Little Missouri on its n. E. border. The
soil is generally thin and sterile. Capital, Washington. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 8,736, sheep 2,020, swine 21,529;
wheat 1,777 bush, produced, Ind. corn 321,285, oats 15,209,
potatoes 18,072, cotton 185,261 pounds; 14 stores, cap.
$147,700; 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 8 grist m., 7 saw m., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $9,600. 4
acad. 148 students, 4 sch. 118 scholars. Pop. whites 2,923,
slaves 1,936, free col'd 62; total, 4,921.
Hempstead, p-t., Queens co., N. Y., 170 s. by e. Albany, 21 New
York, 250 W. The surface is level; soil, sand and sandy loam,
productive when well cultivated. Between Hempstead and North
Hempstead are Hempstead Plains, an immense heath of 15,000
acres, lying in a state of nature, and constituting a common
pasturage for the t., on which several thousand cattle and sheep
are fed annually. It might be made fertile by cultivation. The
v. is pleasantly situated on the s. margin of these plains, and
contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Methodist, a seminary for males and females, an insurance
company, 16 stores of various kinds, 1 tannery, 1 pruning
office, 200 dwellings, and about 1,400 inhabitants. Several
islands belong to the t., and Rockaway beach, on the Atlantic, a
place of great resort, where is a splendid hotel for visitors.
There are in the t. 20 stores, cap. $88,250; 2 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 2 paper fac, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper,
17 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $62,750. 1 acad. 119
students, 24 sch. 1,279 scholars. Pop. 7,609.
Hempstead Bay, Hempstead t., Queens co., N. Y., is included
between Long Beach and Long Island, and is 6 ms. long, and from
1 to 2 broad, abounding with shell and scale fish, and water
Hempstead Harbor, p-v., North Hempstead t., Queens co., N. Y,
170 s. by e. Albany, 250 W. Situated at the head of Hempstead
harbor, on the n. shore of Long Island. It contains 1 Methodist
church, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 paper m., 1 carding
and fulling m., 1 glass cutting fac, 45 dwellings, and about 300
inhabitants. Sloops continually ply between this place and New
Henderson, County, N. C. Situated in the w.
part of the state. The surface is mountainous; soil w r ell
adapted for farming, and particularly for grazing. Drained by
French Broad r. and branches. Capital, Hendersonville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 3,278, sheep 3,037, swine 5,438; wheat
1,268 bushels produced, rye 5,293, Ind. com 59,340, oats 9,677,
potatoes 4,712, tobacco 1,229 pounds; 3 stores, cap. $11,000; 2
forges, 2 tanneries, 14 distilleries, 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $1,800. 1 sch. 21 scholars. Pop. whites 4,628,
slaves 466, free col'd 35; total, 5,129.
Henderson, County, Tenn. Situated in the w.
part of the state, and contains 780 square ms. The surface is
tolerably level; soil, well adapted to grain and to grass, and
the growth of the vine. Drained by the head waters of Beech r.,
Big Sandy r., and of the s. fork of Forked Deer r. Capital,
Lexington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,400, sheep 10,538,
swine 61,399; wheat 61,502 bush, produced, Indian corn 495,870,
oats 67,917, potatoes 5,602, tobacco 12,000 pounds, cotton
564.576; 14 stores, cap. $41,000; 6 tanneries, 15 distilleries,
4 potteries, 1 flouring m., 15 grist m., 5 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $23,300. 11 sch. 265 scholars. Pop. whites 9,911,
slaves 1,954, free col'd 10; total, 11,875.
Henderson, County, Ky. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 725 square ms. Ohio r. runs on
its N. boundary, Green r. passes through its n. e. part, Canoe
r. through its central part, and Highland creek washes its s. w.
border. Capital, Henderson. There were in 1840, neat cattle
9,206, sheep 6,569, swine 31,333; wheat 37,006 bush, produced,
rye 2,146, Indian corn 503,670, oats 46,776, potatoes 11,608,
tobacco 2,977,810 pounds; 5 commission houses, capital §199,000;
28 stores, cap. 8120,900; 2 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 28 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. §29,235. 3 acad. 106 students, 17
sch. 401 scholars. Pop. whites 6,181, slaves 3,319, free col'd
48; total, 9,548.
Henderson, p-t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 181 n. w. Albany, 412 W.
The surface is level; soil, a fertile sandy loam. Drained by
Stony and Little Stony creeks, that flow into Lake Ontario,
which lies on its w. and n. border. Several considerable islands
in the lake belong to it. The v., called Henderson Harbor,
situated at the head of Hungry bay, of Lake Ontario, is a port
of entry, has a good harbor, and contains at the landing 1
store, and about 15 dwellings. The v. is three quarters of a
mile from the landing, on Stony cr., and contains 1 Baptist and
1 Universalist church, 3 stores, 1 grist in., 2 saw m., 25
dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. There are in the t. 1
store, cap. $3,000; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 3 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $10,600. 15 sch. 531 scholars. Pop. 2,480.
Henderson, p-o., Mercer co., Pa., 222 n. w. Harrisburg, 279 W.
Henderson, t., Huntingdon co., Pa., is bounded s. w. and w. by
Juniata r. It contains 4 stores, cap. $31,000; 1 furnace, 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 818,850. 2 sch.
70 scholars. Pop. 1,555.
Henderson, p-v., Houston co., Ga., 68 s. w. Mil ledge vdle, 725
Henderson, p-v., capital of Henderson co., Ky., 197 Frankfort,
724 VV. Pleasantly situated on the s. bank of Ohio r., 44 miles
above the mouth of the Wabash. It contains a court house, and
several stores and dwellings.
Henderson, p-v., Granville co., N. C, 44 n. Raleigh, 244 W.
Henderson, p-v., Knox co., Ill., 110 n. n. w. Springfield, 829
W. Situated on Henderson r. Around it is a fine body of timber,
surrounded by dry and fertile prairies. Pop. 271.
Henderson's Mills, p-o., Greene co., Tenn., 264 e. Nashville,
Hendersonville, Nottaway co., Va. (See Nottaway C. H.)
Hendersonville, p-v., capital of Henderson co., N. C. Situated
on French Broad river, and contains a court house, and several
stores and dwellings.
Hendersonville, p-v., Sumner co., Tenn., 16 N. E. Nashville, 677
W. Situated 1 mile n. of Cumberland r. It has 10 inhabitants.
Hendersonville, p-v., Henry co., Ky., 33 n. w. Frankfort, 575 W.
Hendricks, County, la. Situated a little w. of
the centre of the state, and contains 380 sq. ms. The surface is
rolling; soil, productive. Drained by White Lick cr., Eel r.,
and Mud cr., which afford water power. Capital, Danville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 11,272, sheen 15,030, swine 32,123;
wheat 61,370 bushels produced, Indian corn 540,000, oats
113,654, potatoes 23,448, tobacco 20,700 pounds, sugar 124,765;
11 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 18 grist m., 22 saw m., 2 oil m.
Cap. in manufac. 862,100. 55 sch. 1,450 scholars. Pop. 1840,
Hendricks, t., Shelby co., Ia. It has 1 tannery, 2 distilleries,
1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $850. 1 sch. 40 scholars.
Hendrick's Store, p-o., Bedford co., Va 158 w. Richmond, 233 W.
Hendrysburg, p-v., Kirkwood t., Belmont co O., 99 e. Columbus,
294 W. Situated on the national road, 15 w. St. Clairsville.
Hennepin, p-v., capital of Putnam co., Ill., 118 N. Springfield,
803 W. Situated in the great bend, on the e. bank of Illinois
r., on the border of De Pru prairie. It has an elevated
situation, the ground gently ascending from the r. It contains a
court house, jail, 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist,
14 stores, and about 500 inhabitants. Steamboats ascend to this
place at a moderate stage of water.
Henlopen, cape, Del., is the s. w. point at the entrance of
Delaware bay, 18 ms. s. w. from Cape May, the opposite point, in
36° 47' n. lat. and 75° 6' w. long. Here is a light house.
Henniker, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H, 15 w. by s. Concord, 467 W.
Incorporated in 1763. Watered by Contoocook r., which affords
good water power. The surface is hilly; soil, fertile. Long pond
in the n. part of the t. discharges its waters into Contoocook
r., where is a v. containing 2 churches. It has 4 stores, cap.
$11,000; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $12,400. 1 acad. 50 students, 12 sch. 663 scholars.
Henrico, County, Va. Situated centrally in the
e. part of the state, and contains 291 sq. ms. The surface is
undulating, and the soil diversified. Chickahominy r. runs on
its N. E. boundary. Capital, Richmond. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 5,098, sheep 2,454, swine 11,975: wheat 39,095 bush,
produced, rye 3,079, Ind. corn 247,671, oats 137,543, potatoes
12,189, tobacco 33,300 pounds, cotton 1,234, bituminous coal
1,012,200 bush.; 17 commercial and 29 commission houses, cap.
$3,632,000; 269 stores, cap. $1,658,150; 3 lumber yards, cap.
$24,000; 4 furnaces, 8 forges, 1 cotton fac. 5,810 sp., 6
distilleries, 4 potteries, 21 flouring m., 19 grist m., 15 saw
m., 1 paper fac, 8 printing offices, 2 daily, 6 weekly, 2
semiweekly newspapers, 1 periodical. Cap. in manufac.
$1,334,750. 1 college, 63 students, 17 acad. 934 students, 37
sch. 928 scholars. Pop. whites 16,900, slaves 13,237, free col'd
2,939; total, 33,076.
Henrietta, p-t., Monroe co., N. Y., 223 w. by N. Albany, 363 W.
The surface is rolling; soil, very fertile. Watered by Genesee
r. The v. contains 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist, a
high school, 1 store, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
There are in t. 2 stores, cap. $30,000. Cap. in manufac. $4,500.
1 acad. 116 students, 17 sch. 677 scholars. Pop. 2,085.
Henrietta, p-t., Lorain co., O., 118 n. n. b. Columbus, 335 W.
Situated on the great mail road, 11 w. Elyria, 35 w. Cleaveland.
It has 3 sch. 134 scholars. Pop. 743.
Henrietta, p-t., Jackson co., Mich. It has 2 sch. 53 scholars.
Henry, cape, Va. Situated on s. side of the entrance into
Chesapeake bay, 12 ms. s. Cape Charles, in 36° 53' n. lat. and
76° 21' w. Ion.
Henry, County, Va. Situated in the s. toward
the w. part of the state, and contains 358 sq ms Watered by
Smith's and Mary's rivers, branches of Dan r. Capital,
Martinsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,124, sheep
4,6f>3, swine 15,712; wheat 39,696 bush, produced, Ind. corn
206,155, oats 73,916, potatoes 11,824, tobacco 1,623,500 pounds,
cotton 2,654; 7 stores, cap. $33,200; 2 tanneries, 2 flouring
m., 26 grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,729. 2 acad. 54
students, 15 sch. 412 scholars. Pop. whites 4,243, slaves 2,852,
free col'd 240; total, 7,335.
Henry, County, Ga. Situated a little n. w. of
the centre of the state, and contains 594 sq. ms. Ocmulgee r.
runs on its n. e. boundary, by branches of which, and of Flint
r., it is watered. Capital, McDonough. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 8,671, sheep 2,764, swine 19,557; wheat 55,998 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 301,350, oats 44,393, potatoes 4,888, cotton
567,300 pounds; 21 stores, cap. $60,300; 1 cotton fac. 384 sp.,
2 tanneries, 16 distilleries, 11 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $11,750. 1 acad. 30 students, 31 sell. 684 scholars.
Pop. whites 8,424, slaves 3,316, free col'd 16; total, 11,756.
Henry, County, Ala. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 975 sq. ms. Chattahoochee r. runs on
its e. border. Drained by branches of Choctawhatchee r. The soil
is sterile, and covered with pine. Capital, Abbeville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 9,419, sheep 1,204, swine 15,143;
wheat 1,715 bush, produced. Ind. corn 99,789, oats 2,974,
potatoes 5,534. cotton 664,311 pounds; 1 cotton fac. 72 sp., 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 24 grist m., 72 saw m. Cap. In manufac.
$3,100. 1 acad. 122 students, 11 sch. 329 scholars. Pop. whites
4,701, slaves 1,034, free col'd 2; total, 5,787.
Henry, County, Tenn. Situated in the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Tennessee r. runs on its
e. border. Drained by Big and Little Sandy rivers, which flow E.
into the Tennessee r., and by the North and Middle forks of
Obion r., which flows w. into the Mississippi. Capital, Paris.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 15,551, sheep 12,146, swine
49,302; wheat 107,992 bush, produced, rye 3,240, Ind. corn
116.440, oats 119,114, potatoes 21,509, tobacco 9,479,065
pounds, cotton 172,527; 5 stores, cap. $3,700; 5 tanneries, 13
distilleries, 2 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $123,040. 3 acad. 77 students,,22
sch. 531 scholars. Pop. whites 11,214, slaves 3,677, free col'd
15; total, 14,906.
Henry, County, Ky. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 260 sq. ms. Kentucky runs on its e.
boundary, by branches of which, and by Little Kentucky r., its
surface is drained. Capital. New Castle. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 9,761, sheep 15,999, swine 35,109; wheat 96,399
rash, produced, rye, 15,250, Ind. corn 590,962, ms 81,041,
potatoes 11,783, tobacco 1,596,305 bounds, sugar 14,642; 18
stores, cap. $116,694; 6 tanneries, 12 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $23,951. 1 acad., 18 sch. 725 scholars. Pop. whites
7,637, slaves 2,349, free col'd 29; total,,0,015.
Henry, County, O. Situated in the N. w. art of
the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Maunee r. runs through the
co., by which and its tributaries, it is drained. The Wabash and
Erie canal passes along the n. side of this r., through the co.
The surface is level, and the soil fertile, capital, Napoleon.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,897, sheep 478, swine 2,941;
wheat,333 bush, produced, Ind. corn 36,060, oats 2,514, potatoes
25,839, sugar 19,453 pounds; 9 ores, cap. $12,600; 3 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1 1,800. 13 sch. 326 scholars. Pop.
Henry, County, In. Situated toward the e. part
of the state, and contains 380 sq. ms. The surface is generally
level, in some parts a little broken, mostly woodland, with some
prairies. Watered by Flat Rock and Blue rivers, and Fall cr. The
country is well supplied with pure water, and some mill sites.
Capital, New Castle. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,272,
sheep 15,030, swine 32,123; wheat 61,370 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 540,000, oats 113,654, potatoes 23,448, tobacco 20,700
pounds, sugar 124,765; 17 stores, cap. $30,250; 1 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 1 distillery, 9 grist m., 14 saw m., 3 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $62,600. 25 sch. 661 scholars. Pop. 15,128.
Henry, County, Ill. Situated toward the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 840 sq. ms. Watered by Edwards,
Rock, and Green rivers. The soil is in some parts fertile, in
the n. wet and swampy. Capital, Morriston. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 1,729, sheep 363, swine 5,537; wheat 15,432 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 52,410, oats 11,335, potatoes 10,802; 3
stores, cap. $4,000; 1 flouring m., 2 saw m., 4 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $14,900. 2 sch. 71 scholars. Pop. 1,260.
Henry, County, Iowa. Situated centrally, toward
the s. part of the ter., and contains 432 sq. ms. The soil is
very fertile. Watered by Checauque or Skunk r. and its
tributaries, and Big, Brush, and Little Cedar creeks. The
surface is elevated and rolling; the soil, a rich black mold.
Capital, Mount Pleasant. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,634,
sheep 2,538, swine 12,714; wheat 11,375 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 283,200, oats 22,500, potatoes 16,224, sugar 5,450 pounds;
13 stores, cap. $34,700; 5 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$16,745. 7 sch. 222 scholars. Pop. 3,772.
Henry, County, Mo. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 750 sq. ms. Drained by Grand r. of Osage
r. Capital, Clinton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,936,
sheep 3,876, swine 17,835; wheat 5,283 bush, produced, Ind. corn
229,691, oats 21,933, potatoes 5,944, tobacco 10,151 pounds; 15
stores, cap. $46,045; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,100. 15 sch. 299 scholars. Pop. whites 4,036, slaves 636,
free col'd 4; total, 4,726.
Hepburn, p-t., Lycoming co., Pa., 9 n. Williamsport. The surface
is hilly and mountainous; soil, slate and gravel. Plunket's,
Loyalsock, and Lycoming creeks run on its boundaries. It has 1
store, cap. $2,000; 2 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 11 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $24,050. 8 sch. 240 scholars. Pop.
Henry Clay, t., Fayette co., Pa. The surface is mountainous;
soil, gravelly. Drained by Youghiogeny r. and its branches. It
has 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 7
saw m., 5 sch. 113 scholars. Pop. 891.
Henry's Cross Roads, p-o., Sevier co., Tenn., 210 e. by s.
Nashville, 508 W.
Herbert, p-o., Neshoba co., Miss., 86 Jackson, 931 W.
Herculaneum, p-v., Jefferson co., Mo., 160 Jefferson city, 840
W. Situated on the w. side of Mississippi r., 30 ms. below St.
Louis. It has a good landing, and it is the great mart of the
lead region, in the surrounding country. There are several shot
factories in the vicinity. It contains about 200 inhabitants.
Hereford, p-t., Berks co., Pa., 80 e. Harrisburg, 173 W. Watered
by the main and w. branches of Perkiomen cr. Shoub's mountain is
on the n. E. boundary. It contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Lutheran, 1 Schwenkfelders, and 1 Roman Catholic. It has 6
stores, cap. $18,750; 3 forges, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 2
tanneries, 5 grist m., 6 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,000. Pop. 1,235.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!