American History and Genealogy Project

Hereford MD to Hillsboro, MO

Page 276

Hereford, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 52 Annapolis, 62 W.

Hereford's, p-o., Mason co., Va., 3S6 w. N. w. Richmond, 376 W.

Herkimer, County, N. Y. Situated centrally toward the n. e. part of the state, and contains 1,370 sq. ms. Organized in 1791, but since enlarged. The Adirondack Mountains pass through its s. w. part, being broken through by the Mohawk, at Little Falls. The surface is diversified, being generally broken, hilly or mountainous, excepting s. of the Mohawk, where it is level and very fertile. Iron ore is extensively found, and some gypsum and lead. Beautiful rock crystals are abundant in the neighborhood of Little Falls. In the n. part are numerous lakes and ponds. The Erie Canal, and the Utica and Schenectady railroad, pass through the co. Capital, Herkimer. There were in 1840, neat cattle 55,437, sheep 80,182, swine 33,957; wheat 84,723 bush, produced, rye 15,935, Ind. corn 160,920, buckwheat 29,035, barley 126,900, oats 580,733, potatoes 850,865, sugar 311,138 pounds; 142 stores, cap. $427,790; 25 lumber yards, cap. $12,500; 7 furnaces, 7 forges, 24 fulling m., 9 woolen fac, 5 cotton fac. 5,064 sp., 38 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 1 brewery, 3 flouring m., 35 grist m., 133 saw m., 1 oil m., 4 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 1 periodical, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac $921,633. 1 college, 105 students, 2 acad. 280 students, 191 sch. 8,522 scholars. Pop. 55,869.

Herkimer, p-t., capital of Herkimer co., N. Y., 78 w. n. w. Albany, 397 W. The surface is level, with hills on the n. The soil, on the alluvial flats of the Mohawk, which flows on its s. border, is very productive. Watered by West Canada cr. The v. is pleasantly situated on the N. side of the Mohawk r. It contains a brick court house, a stone jail, and fire proof clerk's office, 1 academy, 1 bank, 1 German Reformed and 1 Methodist church, 10 stores, 1 large flouring m., 1 printing office, 120 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. There are in the t. 10 stores, cap, S33,000; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $41,950. 1 acad. 65 students, 12 sch. 442 scholars. Pop. 2,369.

Herman, p-v., capital of Gasconade co., Mo., 77 e. Jefferson city, 899 W. Situated on the s. bank of the Missouri r. It is a new place, commenced within the year 1841, and bids fair to become a commercial point of importance.

Hermitage, p-o., Wethersfield t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 255 w. Albany, 360 W.

Hermitage, p-o., Mercer co., Pa., 243 Harrisburg, 2S6 W.

Hermitage, p-o., Augusta co., Va.

Hermitage, p-o., Coles co., Ill., 77 Springfield, 702 W.

Hermitage, p-o., Floyd co., Ga., 167 Milledgeville, 673 W.

Hermon, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 7 w. Bangor, 60 n. e. Augusta, 655 W. The soil is fertile, producing good wheat. Watered on the s. w. by Sawodabscook r., and on the n. w. by a branch of Kenduskeag r. Incorporated in 1814. It has 1 pottery, 507 scholars in schools. Pop. 1,042.

Hermon, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 201 n. N. w. Albany, 470 W. The surface is rolling; soil, clay loam, adapted to grass. Watered by small branches of Grass and Oswegatchie rivers. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac, $7,465. 9 schools, 413 scholars. Population 1,271.

Hernando, p-v., capital of De Soto co., Miss., 202 Jackson, 925 W. Situated 18 ms. e. of the Mississippi r., in a fertile region. It contains a court house, several stores, and 400 inhabitants.

Herrick, p-t., Bradford co., Pa. It has 1 store, 1 tannery, 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,950. 6 sch. 172 scholars. Pop. 632.

Herrick, t., Susquehanna co., Pa., 20 s. e. Montrose. Elk mountain, a low part of the Alleghany, is in its s. w. part. The surface is hilly; soil, gravel and clay. Watered by head branches of Lackawannock r. It has 1 grist m, 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,630. 6 sch. 180 scholars. Pop. 629.

Herriottsville, p-o., Alleghany co., Pa 211 Harrisburg, 236 W.

Hertford, County, N. C. Situated toward the n. e. part of the state, and contains 356 sq. ms. Watered by branches of Chowan r. Capital, Winton. It has 3 acad. 68 students, 6 sch. 105 scholars. Pop. 7,484.

Hertford, p-v., capital, Perquiman's co., N. C, 50 s. by w. Norfolk, Va., 194 n. e. by e. Raleigh, 236 W. It is pleasantly situated on the s. side of Perquimans r., near its entrance into Perquimans bay, a branch of Albemarle Sound. It contains a court house, and several dwellings.

Hetricks, p-o., York co., Pa., 42 s. w. Harrisburg, 78 W.

Heuvelton, p-v., Oswegatchie t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 203 N. w. Albany, 472 W. Situated on the Oswegatchie r., 7 ms. from Ogdensburg, and contains 1 church, 4 stores, 1 clothier's works, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and 1 tannery.

Hibernia, p-o., Clarke co., Ia., 102 s. Indianapolis, 533 W.

Hibernia, p-v., Callaway co., Mo., 1 n. Jefferson city, 937 W. Situated on the n. side of the Missouri r., opposite Jefferson city.

Hickman, County, Tenn. Situated centrally, toward the w. part of the state, and contains sq. ms. Watered by Duck r., which flows through the centre, and its various branches. Capital, Centreville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,150, sheep 8,015, swine 36,350; wheat 32,036 bush, produced, rye 3,179, Ind. com 471,100, oats 59,580, potatoes 12,742, tobacco 117,004 pounds, cotton 90,225; 8 stores, cap. $15,000; 1 furnace, 2 forges, 2 cotton fac 143 sp., 5 tanneries, 13 distilleries, 1 pottery, 22 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $34,795. 1? sch. 325 scholars. Pop. whites 7,220, slaves 1,379, free col'd 19; total, 8,618.

Hickman, County, Ky. Situated in the s. w. part of the state, and contains 350 sq. ms. Drained by Little Obion r. and its branches, and Bayou Desha cr. Capital, Clinton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,349, sheep 12,861, swine 37,767; wheat 76,853 bush, produced, rye 4,028, Ind. corn 593,703, oats 161,092, potatoes 15,867, tobacco 1,410,438 pounds, cotton 57,624, sugar 11,929; 3 com. houses, cap. $13,800; 18 stores, cap. $105,600; 1 fulling m., 6 woolen fac, 19 cot ton fac. 431 sp., 25 tanneries, 18 distilleries, 2 potteries, 9 flouring m., 41 grist m., 16 saw m., 1 oil m. 1 paper fac, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper Cap. in manufac $116,970. 11 sch. 248 scholars Pop. whites 7,345, slaves 1,615, free col'd 8 total, 8,963.

Hickory, t., Mercer co., Pa. It has 6 stores cap. $12,000; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 8 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,000. 12 sch. 476 scholars. Pop. 1,331.

Page 277

Hickory, p-v., Washington co., Pa., 219 w. Harrisburg, 246 W.

Hickory, p-v., Carroll co., O., 121 e. n. e. Columbus, 292 W.

Hickory Corners, p-o., Lockport t., Niagara co., N. Y., 280 w. Albany, 403 W.

Hickory Creek, p-o., Warren co., Tenn., 85 8. E. Nashville, 637 W.

Hickory Creek, p-o., Audrain co., Mo., 67 n. E. Jefferson City, 902 W.

Hickory Flat, p-o., Cherokee co., Ga., 117 N. w. Milledgeville, 662 W.

Hickory Flat, p-o., Simpson co., Ky., 165 s. w. Frankfort, 688 W.

Hickory Flat, p-o., Tippah co., Miss., 191 n. n. e. Jackson, 880 W.

Hickory Fork, p-o., Gloucester co., Va., 78 E. Richmond, 177 W.

Hickory Ground, p-o., Norfolk co., Va., 124 s. E. Richmond, 249 W.

Hickory Grove, p-o., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 153 w. s. w. Raleigh, 390 W.

Hickory Grove, p-o., York dist., S. C, 91 n. Columbia, 44 W.

Hickory Grove, Crawford co., Ga., 65 s. w. Milledgeville, 722 W.

Hickory Grove, p-o., Montgomery co., Ala., 131 s. E. Tuscaloosa, 862 W.

Hickory Grove, p-o., Bond co., Ill., 83 s. Springfield, 767 W.

Hickory Grove, p-o., Warren co., Mo., 81 e. n. e. Jefferson city, 857 W. Pop. 828.

Hickory Grove, p-o., Oktibbeha co., Miss., 149 n. E. Jackson, 906 W.

Hickory Grove, p-o., McKinn co., Tenn.

Hickory Grove, p-o., Jackson co., Mich., 96 w. Detroit, 566 W.

Hickory Grove, p-o., Scott co., Iowa.

Hickory Grove, t., Washington co., Mo.

Hickory Hill, p-o., Beaufort dist., S. C.

Hickory Hill, p-o., Cole co., Mo., 20 w. Jefferson city, 956 W.

Hickory Level, p-o., Talladega co., Ala., 133 e. Tuscaloosa, 761 W.

Hickory Level, p-o., Carroll co., Ga., 130 w. N. w. Milledgeville, 710 W.

Hickory Mountain, p-o., Chatham co., N. C, 56 w. Raleigh, 318 W.

Hickory Tavern, p-o., Hartford co., Md., 58 N. Annapolis, 68 W.

Hickory Town, p-o., Plymouth t., Montgomery co., Pa., 101 e. Harrisburg, 154 W. It contains 1 store, and 10 dwellings.

Hickory Valley, p-o., Hamilton co., Tenn., 143 s. e. Nashville, 603 W.

Hicksburg, p-v., Dorchester co., Md.

Hicksford, p-v., capital of Greenville co., Va., 62 s. Richmond, 181 W. Situated on the s. w. side of Meherrin r., a branch of Chowan r. It contains a court house, jail, clerk's office, 3 stores, 12 or 14 dwellings, and 70 inhabitants. The Petersburg railroad passes near the v., and crosses the Meherrin r. on a bridge, 100 yards long, supported by 200 stone piers.

Hicks' Mills, p-o., De Kalb co., Ill., 221 n. n. E. Springfield, 794 W.

Hicksville, v., Oyster Bay t., Queens co., N. Y. It is on the line of the Long Island railroad, and contains 1 store, and a few dwellings.

Hicksville, p-v., Williams co., O., 177 n. w. Columbus, 529 W. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,100. 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop. 67.

Hicksville, p-o., Oakland co., Mich., 29 n. w. Detroit, 550 W.

Hico, p-o., Carroll co., Tenn., 106 w. Nashville, 791 W.

Higganum, p-v., Haddam t., Middlesex co.. Ct., 21 s. Hartford, 331 VV. Situated on Connecticut r., where is a convenient landing, and several dwellings.

Higginsport, p-v., Lewis t., Brown co., O., 124 s. s. w. Columbus, 483 W. Situated on the n. bank of Ohio r., immediately below the mouth of White Oak cr.

Highsville, p-v., Twiggs co., Ga., 50 Milledgeville, 698 W.

High Falls, p-v., Marbletown t., Ulster co., N. Y.,69 s. Albany, 318 W. Situated on Rondout cr., which here affords by its falls a good water power. Along the creek passes the Delaware and Hudson canal. It contains 4 stores, 2 extensive flouring m., 1 hydraulic cement m., and about 40 dwellings.

High Falls, p-o., Lumpkin co., Ga., 154 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 634 W.

Highgate, p-t., Franklin co., Vt., 71 n. w. Montpelier, 545 W. Situated on the E. side of Lake Champlain. Watered by Missisque r., which affords good water power and Rock r. The soil is sandy. Bog iron ore is found. It has 5 stores, cap. ,$8,000; 1 woolen fac, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $51,000. 16 sch. 846 scholars. Pop. 2,292.

High Grove, p-o., Nelson co., Ky., 53 s. w. Frankfort, 595 W.

High Hill, p-o., Montgomery co., Ala.

Highland, County, O. Situated toward the s. E. part of the state, and contains 555 sq. miles. It occupies the height of land between Scioto and Miami rivers. Watered by branches of Paint cr., Brush cr., and of the e. fork of Miami r. The surface is elevated, and finely rolling, and the soil is fertile. Capital, Hillsboro'. There were in 1840, neat cattle 19,605, sheep 40,613, swine 42,546; wheat 373,974 bushels produced, rye 5,008, Ind. corn 824,129, oats 252,525, potatoes 30,109, sugar 147,816 pounds; 88 stores, cap. $150,000; 7 fulling m., 28 tanneries, 1 distillery, 3 potteries, 7 flouring m., 25 grist m., 24 saw m., 3 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $45,337. 2 acad. 150 students, 88 sch. 5,102 scholars. Pop. 22,269.

Highland, p-o., Bradford co., Pa., 139 n. Harrisburg, 249 W.

Highland, p-o., Chesterfield t., Essex co., N. Y., 151 n. Albany.

Highland, p-o., Jackson co., Tenn., 69 e. n. e. Nashville, 638 W. Situated on the w. side of Cumberland r.

Highland, p-v., Fairfield t., Highland co., O., 50 s. w. Columbus. Situated on Lee's cr. It contains 2 churches, 2 stores, 2 tanneries, and 50 dwellings.

Highland, t., Muskingum co., O. It contains 2 churches, 2 saw m., and 2 flouring m.

Highland, p-o., Pike co., Ill., 74 w Springfield, 854 W.

Highland, p-t., Oakland co., Mich., 45 n. w. Detroit, 569 W. It has 3 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 566.

Highland, p-o., Vermilion co., Ia., 72 w. Indianapolis, 644 W. The t. has 1 distillery. Cap. in manufac. $6,075. 4 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 1,653.

Highland Mills, p-v., Monroe t., Orange co., N. Y., 97 s. s. w. Albany, 231 W. Here are 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, and about 25 dwellings.

Highlands, N. Y. Sometimes called Matteawan Mountains, or Fishkill mountains. These mountains extend in a direction n. e. and s. w., through the counties of Rockland and Orange, crossing Hudson r. into Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess, occupying a breadth of from 15 to 20 miles. They are a branch of the Alleghany Mountains, and their rocks consist of granite and gneiss. Their altitude is from 1,000 to 1,685 feet above tide water; and the passage through them, on the Hudson, presents grand and picturesque scenery.

Page 278

High Rock, p-o., Rockingham co., N. C, 103 N. w. Raleigh, 232 W.

High Shoals, p-o., Rutherford co., N. C, 214 W. s. w. Raleigh, 451 W.

High Shoals, p-o., Walton co., Ga., 70 n. w. Milledgeville, 624 W. Situated near a rapid of the same name, in the Appalachee r.

High Spire, p-o., Dauphin co., Pa., 6 Harrisburg, 116 W.

High Tower, p-o., Forsyth co., Ga., 119 n. w. Milledgeville, 650 W.

High towers, p-o., Caswell co., N. C., 72 n. w. Raleigh, 268 W.

Hightstown, p-v., East Windsor t, Mercer co., N. J., 19 E. Trenton, 185 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and 50 or 60 dwellings. The Camden and Amboy railroad passes through it.

High Vicco, p-o., Frederick co., Va., 162 n. by w. Richmond, 90 W.

Hilabee, p-o., Talladega co., Ala., 140 e. Tuscaloosa, 781 W.

Hillham, p-o., Overton co., Tenn., 88 e. Nashville, 616 W.

Hildreth's, p-o., Knox co., O., 50 n. E. Columbus, 382 W.

Hill Gore, t., Washington co., Me. Pop. 30.

Hill, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 24 n. n. w. Concord. Pemigewasset r. runs on its e. border. Watered by Smith's r. Ragged mountain lies on its s. border. The surface is uneven, and the soil generally fertile. Chartered in 1788. The v. is on an extended street, in the s. E. part of the t., and from it a bridge crosses the Pemigewasset to Sandbornton. It has 3 stores, cap. $400; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,700. 10 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 999.

Hillegas, p-o., Montgomery co., Pa., 81 E. Harrisburg, 174 W.

Hill Grove, p-o., Darke co., O., 100 w. Columbus, 494 W.

Hill House, p-o., Leroy t., Lake co., O., 185 N. E. Columbus, 344 W.

Hillian's Store, p-o., Marshall co., Ala.

Hilliar, t., Knox co., O. Situated in the s. w. part of the county, and contains the village of Centreburg. It has 8 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 1,012.

Hilliardston, p-v., Nash co., N. C, 59 n. n. E. Raleigh, 239 W.

Hillsborough, County, N. H. Situated in the s. part of the state, and contains 1,245 sq. ms. The surface is uneven, and, to a degree, mountainous; the soil various. Watered by Merrimac, Contoocook, Nashua, Souhegan, and Piscataquoag rivers. Capital, Amherst. There were in 1840, neat cattle 38,381, sheep 53,864, swine 16,188; wheat 39,027 bushels produced, rye 67,836, Indian corn 179,390; buckwheat 10,023, barley 23,687, oats 160,295, potatoes 628,315, sugar 41,198 pounds; 165 stores, cap. $428,901; 3 lumber yards, cap. $18,000; 2 furnaces, 22 fulling m., 12 woolen fac, 25 cotton fac. 65,100 sp., 42 tanneries, 1 brewery, 6 powder m., 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 75 grist m., 137 saw m., 2 paper fac, 5 printing offices, 2 binderies, 6 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $2,755,438. 7 acad. 761 students, 329 sch. 12,798 scholars Pop. 42,494.

Hillsborough, County, Florida. Situated in the w. part of the peninsula. It is bounded w. by the Gulf of Mexico, and includes Tampa bay. Watered by Hillsboro', Alafia, and Asterual rivers. The soil is various. It has some live oak hammock, interspersed with cane, and tall palmettoes. Some of the land is very fertile. Capital, Tampa. Pop. 452.

Hillsborough, p-t., Hillsborough co., N. H., 24 s. w. by w. Concord, 464 W. Incorporated in 1772. The surface is uneven, and the soil fertile. Watered by Contoocook r., which affords good water power, and Hillsborough r. The v. is pleasantly situated, containing a number of stores, dwellings, mills, and manufactories. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $16,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 2,132 sp., 5 tanneries, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $51,032. 17 schools, 553 scholars. Pop. 1,807.

Hillsborough, t., Somerset co., N. J. The surface on the w. is hilly, on the e. level. Soil, on the w., clay loam, on the F.., red shale. The s. branch of Raritan r. runs on its n. boundary, and Millstone r. on the E. Watered by Roy's brook, a branch of Millstone r. It has a Dutch Reformed church. It contains 9 stores, cap. $27,600; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 6 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $22,100. 10 sch. 256 scholars. Pop. 2,863.

Hillsborough, p-v., Bethlehem t., Washington co., Pa., 203 w. Harrisburg, 219 W. It is built on a single street, on the national road, and contains 4 stores, 30 dwellings, and about 180 inhabitants. It is elevated 1,002 feet above the Ohio r., at Wheeling.

Hillsborough, p-v., Caroline co., Md., 59 e. Annapolis, 99 W. Situated on Tuckahoe creek, 46 s. e. Baltimore.

Hillsborough, p-v., Loudon co., Va., 166 n. Richmond, 47 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, an academy, 3 stores, 2 flouring m., 30 dwellings, and 175 inhabitants.

Hillsborough, p-v., capital of Orange co., N. C, 40 n. w. Raleigh, 274 W. It is situated on Eno r., a branch of Neuse r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.

Hillsborough, p-v., Jasper co., Ga., 28 n. w. Milledgeville, 651 W. It contains an academy, 4 stores, and 10 or 15 dwellings.

Hillsborough, p-v., Lawrence County, Ala., 127 n. Tuscaloosa, 751 W.

Hillsborough, p-v., capital of Scott co., Miss.. 48 e. Jackson, 968 W. Situated on a small branch of Pearl River. It contains a court house.

Hillsborough, p-v., Coffee co., Tenn., 76 s. E. Nashville, 646 W.

Hillsborough, p-v., Fleming co., Ky., 91 E. Frankfort, 498 W. It contains 1 Methodist church and 200 inhabitants.

Hillsborough, p-t., capital of Highland co., O., 75 s. w. Columbus, 442 W. Situated near the source of Rocky fork of Paint creek. It contains an elegant court house, 2 churches, 2 academies, 8 stores, and about 1,200 inhabitants.

Hillsborough, p-v., Fountain co., Ia., 61 w. n. w. Indianapolis, 632 W.

Hillsborough, p-v., capital of Montgomery co., Ill., 64 s. Springfield, 768 W. It contains a court house, jail, 6 stores, 2 tanneries, 80 dwellings, and 400 inhabitants.

Hillsboro', p-v., capital of Jefferson co., Mo., 132 E. Jefferson city, 852 W. Situated on the e. side of Big r., and contains a court house and several dwellings.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work