Hillsborough Bridge, NH to Homer, NY
Hillsborough Bridge, p-v., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 21 s. w. by w.
Concord, 461 W.
Hillsborough Centre, p-v., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 24 s. w. by w.
Concord, 464 W.
Hill's Bridge, p-o., Halifax co., N. C, 89 s. E. Raleigh, 235 W.
Hill's Corners, p-o., Penobscot co., Me.
Hillsdale, County, Mich. Situated in the s.
part of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Drained by St.
Joseph r. of Lake Michigan, St. Joseph of the Maumee r., Little
St. Joseph, Goose, and Tiffin's creeks, Hog r., Sandy r., and
Kalamazoo s. branch. Organized in 1835. The surface is
undulating. It is some of the most elevated land in the
peninsula. Soil, a rich, black, sandy loam. Iron ore, and
sandstone suitable for grindstones, are found. Capital,
Jonesville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,926, sheep 1,804,
swine 10,630; wheat 80,256 bush, produced, Ind. corn 82,757,
buckwheat 1,598, barley 4,837, oats 71,741, potatoes 75,230,
sugar 52,935 pounds; 12 stores, cap. $61,400; 3 grist m., 16 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$48,700. 32 sch. 1,003 scholars. Pop. 7,240.
Hillsdale, pt, Columbia co., N. Y., 45 s. Albany, 357 W. The
surface is hilly and mountainous, containing Taghkannic
mountain; soil, gravelly loam and clay. Drained by Ancram and
Copake creeks. The v. contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1 tannery,
and 15 or 20 dwellings. There are in the t., 7 stores, cap.
$12,500; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $17,450. 18 sch. 466 scholars. Pop. 2,470.
Hillsdale, p-o., Guilford co., N. C, 95 vv. n. w. Raleigh, 290
Hillsdale, p-v., Fayette t, Hillsdale co., Mich., 98 w. s. w.
Detroit, 534 W. Situated on the outlet of St. Joseph or Baubese
lake, near the entrance of French cr. It has an extensive water
power, and contains 1 saw m. and 1 flouring m.
Hill's Grove, p-o., Lycoming co., Pa., 100 n. e. Harrisburg, 211
Hill's Grove, p-o., McDonough co., Ill., 98 N. w. Springfield,
Hill's Point, p-o., Platte co., Mo.
Hill's Store, p-o., Randolph co., N. C, 84 w. Raleigh, 390 VV.
Hillsview, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa., 154 w. Harrisburg, 180
Hillsville, p-o., Grayson co., Va., 245 w. s. w. Richmond, 320
Hillsville, p-v., Mercer co., Pa., 245 w. N. w. Harrisburg, 233
Hill Top, p-o., Wayne County, Pa., 181 N. E. Harrisburg, 278 W.
Hilltown, p-t., Bucks co., Pa., 100 e. Harrisburg, 169 W.
Drained by branches of Nishaminy cr. It has 6 stores, cap.
$14,300; 1 lumber yard, cap. $6,000; 2 tanneries, 1 distillery,
2 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $8,289. 3 sch.
92 scholars. Pop. 1,910.
Hiltons, p-o., Sullivan co., Tenn., 295 e. Nashville, 401 W.
Hinckley, pt, Medina co., O., 132 n. n. e. Columbus, 352 W. The
surface is elevated and broken, and the soil is fertile, and
adapted to grazing and to grain. Watered by a branch of Rocky
r., which affords water power. Red sandstone, iron ore, and coal
are found. It has 1 Methodist church, 1 store, 1 fulling m., 1
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,625. 6 sch. 253 scholars.
Hinds, County, Miss. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 875 sq. ms. Drained by small
streams entering Pearl r. on the e. and others entering Big
Black r. on the w. Surface, level; soil, generally fertile.
Capital, Raymond. Jackson, the capital of the state, is situated
in this county, on the w. side of Pearl River. There were in
1840, neat cattle 17,595, sheep 3,439, swine 40,290; Ind. corn
650,500 bush, produced, oats 2,466, potatoes 72,725, rice 50,000
pounds, cotton 9,91 1,800; 26 stores, cap. $154,000; 1 tannery,
54 grist m., 8 saw m., 5 printing offices, 6 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufactures, $35,900. 1 college, 45 students, 3 acad.
90 students, 18 sch. 391 scholars. Pop. whites 6,773, slaves
12,275, free col'd 43; total, 19,093.
Hindsburg, p-o., Murray t., Orleans co,, N. Y.. 245 w. N. w.
Albany, 394. W.
Hindsville, p-o., Jefferson co., Ia., 82 s. Indianapolis, 583 W.
Hiner's Run, p-o., Lycoming co., Pa., 130 n. Harrisburg, 222 W.
Hinesburg, p-t., Chittenden co., Vt., 42 w, Montpelier, 506 W.
Chartered in 1762. Watered by Platte r. and Lewis cr. The
surface is uneven, and the soil fertile, well adapted to
grazing. It has 1 Congregational and 1 Baptist church. The v. is
pleasantly situated on Platte r., on one street, and contains a
handsome church, 2 stores, and 1 woolen fac. There are in the
t., 7 stores, cap. $25,500; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$35,170. 1 acad. 102 students, 16 sch. 495 scholars. Pop. 1,682.
Hinesville, p-v., capital of Liberty co., Ga., 196 s. E.
Milledgeville, 700 W. It is situated on the pine lands, 14 ms.
n. e. Riceboro'. It contains 3 or 4 dwellings.
Hingham, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 15 s. E. Boston, 455 W.
Incorporated in 1635. Situated on the s. side of Boston bay. The
surface is broken, and the soil, in many parts, fertile. It
contains several churches, 1 of which was erected in 1680, and
is still a substantial building, a bank, an insurance office, a
savings bank, and 2 academies. It has about 80 vessels employed
in the fisheries and the coasting trade. Several packets
communicate regularly with Boston, and a steamboat daily, in the
summer season. It has 32 stores, cap. $46,600; 2 lumber yards,
capital $6,000; 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 1 printing office, 1
weekly newspaper, 2 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $105,800; 1 acad. 88 students, 12 sch. 859 scholars.
Hinkletown, p-v., Lancaster co., Pa., 42 e. s. e. Harrisburg,
130 W. Situated on the n. side of Conestoga creek, and contains
10 or 12 dwellings.
Hinsdale, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 71 s. w, by w. Concord, 419
W. Connecticut r. bounds it on the w. Watered by Ashuelot r. and
its branches, and small streams which enter Connecticut r. A
mountain range, 8 or 900 feet high, crosses the t. from E. to w.
Much of the soil is 1 fertile and well cultivated. Iron ore is
found. I Incorporated in 1753. It has 2 stores, capital $5,500;
1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufactures, I $28,200. 8 sch. 307 scholars.
Hinsdale, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 121 w. Boston, 385 W. The
surface is elevated, and the soil adapted to grazing. A large
amount of wool is produced, and it has considerable
manufactures. The v. contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1
Baptist, and 1 Methodist. There are in the t., 2 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 5 saw mills. Cap. in manufac $89,200. 6
sch. 227 scholars. Pop. 955.
Hinsdale, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 287 w. s. w. Albany, 313
W. Situated on the Genesee Valley canal, and on the line of the
New York and Erie railroad. The v. contains 2 churches, an
academy, 6 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., and 1 tannery. The
stale is here constructing a large basin, and the place is well
situated for trade. There are in the t., 6 stores, cap. $25,500;
2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $17,550. 16 sch. 563 scholars. Pop. 1,937.
Hinton's Grove, p-o., Greene co., Ala.
Hiram, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 79 w. s. w. Augusta, 555 W.
Situated on both sides of Saco r. Incorporated in 1807. The soil
is fertile and adapted to grain and to grazing. It has 3 stores,
cap. $1,400; 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 1 saw mill. Cap. in
manufac. $1,000. 15 sch. 535 scholars. Pop. 1,233.
Hiram, p-t., Portage co., O., 154 N. K. Columbus, 323 W. The
soil is fertile and well cultivated. It has 7 sch. 330 scholars.
Hiramsburg, p-o., Morgan co., O., 99 e. s. e. Columbus, 308 W.
Hitchcockville, p-v., Barkhamstead t., Litchfield co., Ct., 26
n. w. Hartford, 350 W. Situated on the w. branch of Farmington
r., which affords good water power, near the ft. w. corner of
the t., and contains 1 Episcopal church, 2 stores, and about 25
Hitesville, p-v., Coles co., Ill., 108 E. s. E. Springfield, 681
Hiwassee, p-o., Macon co., N. C.
Hiwassee, r., Ga., rises in Union co., and flows into Tennessee,
and enters the Tennessee r. 12 ms. s. w. of Washington.
Hix's Ferry, p-o., Randolph co., Ark., 170 n. e. Little Rock,
967 W. Situated at the crossing of Current r.
Hoadlin, t., Van Wert co., O. Pop. 40.
Hoag's Corners, p-o., Nassau t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 22 e.
Albany, 378 W.
Hobart, p-v., Stamford t., Delaware co., N. Y., 65 w. s. w.
Albany, 353 VV. Situated on the head waters of Delaware r., and
contains 1 Episcopal church, 6 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1
furnace, 1 clothier's works, 50 dwellings and 300 inhabitants.
Hobbieville, p-o., Alleghany co., N. Y., 267 w. by s. Albany,
Hobbieville, p-o., Greene co., Ia., 88 s. w. Indianapolis, '538
Hoboken, p-v., Bergen t., Hudson co., N. J., 60 n. e. Trenton,
226 W. Situated on the w. bank of Hudson r., opposite to New
York, with which it is connected by 3 steam ferries. It contains
an Episcopal church, 50 dwellings, several public houses, and
fine grounds, called the Elysian Fields, beautifully laid out,
and is much frequented from the city in the summer season.
Hockhocking, r., O., rises in Fairfield co., and meanders
through a hilly country 80 ms. in a s. e. direction to Ohio r.,
in the town of Troy, 25 ms. below Marietta. Excepting the lower
falls and some mill dams, it is boatable 70 ms. It affords
excellent mill sites, having a fall near its source of 40 feet
Hocking, County, O. Situated centrally toward
the s. part of the state, and contains 432 sq. ms. The surface
is generally hilly and broken, and contains much fertile land.
Watered by Hockhocking r. and the head waters of Racoon and Salt
creeks. Capital, Logan. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,921,
sheep 12,^53, swine 13,043; wheat 109,120 bush, produced, rye
4,302, Ind. corn 181,284, buckwheat 9,578, oats 37,374, potatoes
24.212, tobacco 317,630 pounds, sugar 155,332; 13 stores, cap.
$18,400; 1 falling m., 4 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 flouring m.,
6 grist m., 9 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $238,275. 15 sch. 418 scholars. Pop. 9,741.
Hocking, t., Fairfield co., O. It contains the villages of
Lancaster and Hamburg. Pop. 2,137.
Hocking, city, p-v., Athens co., O., 101 s. e. Columbus, 320 W.
Hockingport, p-v., Athens co., O., 104 s. e. Columbus, 323 W.
Hodgdon, p-t., Aroostook co., 3Ie., 202 n. n. e. Augusta, 797 W.
Incorporated in 1832. The soil is fertile, producing wheat. It
has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $3,200. 6 sch. 296 scholars. Pop. 665.
Hodgdon's Mills, p-o., Lincoln co., Me., 43 Augusta, 604 W.
Hodgensville, p-v., Hardin co., Ky., 89 s. w. Frankfort, 631 W.
Hoffman's Ferry, p-o., Glennville t., Schenectady co., N. Y., 26
n. w. Albany, 394 W.
Hoffman's Gate, p-o., Claverack t., Columbia co., N. Y., 41 s.
Albany, 353 W.
Hoffsville, p-v., Harrison co., Va., 249 n. w. Richmond, 243 W.
Hogansburg, p-v., Bombay t., Franklin co., N. Y., 234 n. Albany,
538 W. Situated on St. Regis r., which is navigable from the St.
Lawrence to this place by steamboats. It contains 2 churches, 6
stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 fulling m., 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 40
dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Hogestown, p-v., Cumberland co., Pa., 9 s. w. Harrisburg, 108 W.
It contains 1 store and about 12 dwellings.
Hogg Creek, p-o., Allen co., O.
Hogg's Store, po. Newberry dist., S. C, 40 n. w. Columbia, 493
Hokesville, p-v., Lincoln co., N. C, 159 w. s. w. Raleigh, 396
Holcomb, po. and depot, Burke co., Ga., 58 E. s. e.
Milledgeville, 647 W. Situated on the Central Railroad, 100 ms.
n. w. Savannah.
Holden, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 48 w. Boston, 405 W. Watered
by branches of Blackstone and Nashua rivers. Incorporated in
1740. It has 3 stores, cap. $10,000; 4 cotton fac. 5,700 sp., 3
grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $55,000. 12 sch. 527
scholars. Pop. 1,874.
Holderness, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 38 n. Concord, 519 W.
Squam lake lies on the e. part of the t., and affords by its
outlet, which flows into Pemigewasset r., excellent water power.
Chartered in 1751. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 1 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 paper fac, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $31,608. 17 sch. 665 scholars. Pop. 1,528.
Holderness Centre, p-v., Holderness t., Grafton co., N. H., 42
n. Concord, 523 W.
Holland, p-t., Hampden co., Mass., 67 s. w. by w. Boston, 373 W.
Watered by Quinnebaug r. It has 1 store, 1 cotton fac. 1,150 sp.
Cap. in manufac. $25,000. 4 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 423.
Holland, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 284 w. Albany, 351 W. The
surface is elevated and rolling; soil, moist clay and sandy
loam. Drained by Seneca and Cazenove creeks. The v. contains 15
or 20 dwellings. The t. contains 1 store, cap. $4,500; 1 fulling
m.. 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,600.
Holland, t., Orleans co., Vt., 56 n. n. e. Montpelier. Bounded
on the N. by Lower Canada, and has a fertile soil. It has 4 sch.
123 scholar. Pop. 605.
Holland, p-o., Venango co., Pa., 220 w. N. w. Harrisburg, 309 W.
Holland Patent, p-v., Trenton t., Oneida co., N, Y., 12 n.
Utica, 100 w. N. w. Albany, 402 W. It contains 2 churches, an
academy, 40 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Holland's, p-o., Laurens dist., S. C, 61 n. w. Columbia, 505 W.
Holley, p-v., Murray t., Orleans co., N. Y., 210 w. n. w.
Albany, 389 W. Situated on the Erie canal, which here passes
over Sandy cr. by an embankment 75 feet above the bed of the
stream. It contains 2 churches, 8 stores, 3 warehouses, 1
flouring m., 1 carding machine, 2 saw m., 60 dwellings, and
about 300 inhabitants.
Hollidaysburg, p-b., Frankstown t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 118 w.
n. w. Harrisburg, 161 W. Situated on Beaver Dam cr. It contains
5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Lutheran, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist,
and 1 African. From a basin near this place, a railroad passes
over the Alleghany mountains to Johnstown. The vertical ascent
is 1,400 feet in a little over 10 miles, and the descent 1,151
feet in about 26½ miles, by a number of inclined planes, over
which the cars are drawn by machinery. It has 7 commission
houses, cap. $62,000; 27 stores, cap. $105,800; 1 furnace, 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $11,750.
5 sch. 225 scholars. Pop. 1,896.
Holliday's Cove, p-o., Brooke co., Va., 354 N. w. Richmond, 265
Hollings worth, p-o., Habersham co., Ga., 132 n. Milledgeville,
Hollis, p-t., York co., Me., 66 s. w. Augusta, 531 W. Situated
on the w. side of Saco r. Incorporated in 1812. It contains 11
stores, cap. $10,625; 1 tannery, 2 potteries, 7 grist m., 16
saw; m. Cap. in manufac. $30,050. 20 sch. 961 scholars. Pop.
Hollis, p-t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 44 s. Concord. 439 W.
Watered by Nashua r. Incorporated in 1746. It has a pleasant v.
near the centre. It contains 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 tannery, 3
grist m. 12 sch. 533 scholars. Pop. 1,333.
Holliston, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 24 s. w. by w. Boston,
415 W. Watered by a branch of Charles r. Incorporated in 1724.
The v. at the centre contains 1 Congregational and 1 Methodist
church. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $14,500; 1 woolen
fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $66,200. 1
acad. 140 students, 9 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,782.
Hollis Plains, p-o., Robertson co., Tenn., 21 I N. Nashville,
Holly, t., Oakland co., Mich. It has 1 sch. 32 scholars. Pop.
Holly Creek, p-o., Wayne co., Tenn., 119 s. w. Nashville, 776 W.
Holly Grove, p-o., Tishamingo co., Miss., 223: N. N. e. Jackson,
Holly Springs, p-o., Wake co., N. C, 16 Raleigh, 304 W.
Holly Springs, p-v., capital of Marshall co., Miss., 193 n. by
e. Jackson, 893 W. Situated on a high ridge. It contains a court
house, jail, several stores and dwellings.
Hollow Creek, p-o., Lexington dist., S. C, 26 w. Columbia, 532
Holmdel, p-v., Middletown t., Monmouth co., N. J., 45 e.
Trenton, 211 W. It contains 1 Baptist church, an academy, 2
stores, and 10 or 12, dwellings.
Holmes, County, O. Situated n. e. of the centre
of the state, and contains 422 sq. ms. The surface in some parts
is rough, but the soil is generally fertile. Watered by Kilbuck
and Mohiccan creeks. Capital, Millersburg. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 16,385, sheep 32,117, swine 25,588; wheat 299,188
bush, produced, rye 33,231, Ind. corn 217,563, buckwheat 17,843,
oats 228,712, potatoes 72,078, sugar 74,930 pounds; 20 stores,
cap. $82,355; 6 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 9 tanneries, 3
distilleries, 2 potteries, 7 flouring m., 16 grist m., 26 saw
m., 4 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $75,946. 11 sch. 484 scholars. Pop. 18,088.
Holmes, County, Miss. Situated a little jr. w.
of the centre of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Yazoo r.
runs on its w. border, and Big Black r. on the e. border.
Capital, Lexington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 20,137,
sheep 2,396, swine 29,542; wheat 3,707 bush, produced, Ind. corn
480,740, oats 39,460, potatoes 75,714, rice 5,161 pounds,
tobacco 4,518, cotton 8,085,973; 28 stores, cap. $187,100; 39
cotton fac. 234 sp., 15 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $9,302. 1
academy, 13 sch. 301 scholars. Pop. whites 3,852, slaves 5,566,
free col'd 34; total, 9,452.
Holmes, t., Crawford co., O. It has 6 sch. 304 scholars. Pop.
Holmesburg, p-v., Lower Dublin t., Philadelphia co., Pa., 9 w.
Bristol, 107 e. by s. Harrisburg, 147 W. Situated on Pennypack
cr., which is navigable for sloops to Lewis' Mills, in the
vicinity. It contains 4 stores, and about 80 dwellings. The mill
was erected, of stone, in 1697.
Holmes Hole, p-v., Tisbury t., Dukes co., Mass., 89 s. s. e.
Boston, 471 W. This is an important harbor, on the n. side of
Martha's Vineyard, and is spacious and safe, with a depth of
water sufficient for vessels of the largest class. It is much
resorted to by navigators, when the wind will not allow of
doubling Cape Cod. It has a number of vessels, chiefly employed
in the fisheries. It contains 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church,
and about 100 dwellings.
Holmesville, p-v., Holmes co., O., 93 n. e. Columbus, 349 W.
Holmesville, p-v., capital of Appling co., Ga., 177 s. s. E.
Milledgeville, 788 W. It contains a court house, jail, and
Holmesville, p-v., capital of Pike co., Miss., 87 s. Jackson,
1,095 W. Situated on the w. side of Bogue Chitto r., and
contains a court house and several dwellings.
Holmesville, p-v., Avoyelles parish, La.
Holston, r., Tenn., unites with Clinch r. at Kingston to form
the Tennessee r. It is deep, and navigable 70 ms., with the
interruption of a fall of 7 feet. Near its source, 7 ms. n. w.
Lancaster, is a fall of 40 feet. Valuable salt works exist near
Holston, p-o., Washington co., Va., 312 w. s. w. Richmond, 380
Holston, p-o., Knox co., Tenn.
Holt's Store, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 64 n. w. Raleigh, 307 W.
Holyoke Place, p-o., Hampshire co., Mass., 91 w. Boston, 330 W.
Home, p-o., Indiana co., Ia., 165 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 218 W.
Home, p-v., Jefferson co., Pa., 98 s. e. Indianapolis, 550 W.
Homer, p-t., Cortland co., N. Y., 141 w. Albany, 317 W. The
surface is level; soil, a productive sandy and clay loam.
Drained by Toughnioga cr. and its tributaries. The v. is
situated on the w. bank of the cr. Incorporated in 1835. It
contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and
1 Universalist, a flourishing academy, 10 stores, 1 woolen fac,
2 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil fac, 1 nail fac, 1 tannery, 225
dwellings, and 1,300 inhabitants. There are in the t. 7 stores,
cap. $161,000; 3 lumber yards, cap. $2,200; 1 furnace, 2 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,916 spindles, 4 tanneries, 1
brewery, 1 pottery, 4 grist m., 11 saw ra., 1 oil na. Cap. in
manufac. $113,400. 1 acad. 350 students, 19 sch. 861 scholars.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!