Houston, PA to Huntingdon, PA
Houston, t., Clearfield co., Pa. Pop. 129.
Houston, p-o., Alleghany co., Pa., 211 w. Harrisburg, 237 W.
Houston, p-o., Shelby co., O., 82 w. n. w. Columbus, 476 W.
Houston, p-v., Wayne co., Tenn., Ill s. w. Nashville, 788 W.
Houston, p-o., Heard co., Ga.
Houston, p-o., Marion co., Mo.
Houston, p-v., capital of Chickasaw co., Miss., 145 n. e.
Jackson, 910 W. Situated on the head waters of Oktibbeha cr.,
and contains a court house and a few dwellings.
Houston, p-o., Adams co., Ill., 100 w. Springfield, 877 W.
Houston's Store, p-o., Rowan co., N. C, 133 w. Raleigh, 370 W.
Houston's Store, p-o., 3Iorgan co. Ala., 117 n. n. e.
Tuscaloosa, 754 W.
Houstonville, p-v., Iredell co., N. C, 154 w. Raleigh, 365 W.
Howard, County, Mo. Situated a little n. w. of
the centre of the state, bounded s. and w. by Missouri River.
Watered by Great Manitou and Bonne Ferame Rivers, and Salt cr.,
tributaries of the Missouri. Capital, Fayette. There were in
1840, neat cattle 10,947, sheep 11,371, swine 29,502; wheat
33,040 bushels produced, Indian corn 561,795, oats 62,870,
potatoes 12,354, tobacco 98,101 pounds; 17 stores, cap.
$195,465; 7 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 19 flouring m., 20 grist
m., 6 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $46,280. 1 acad. 22 students, 22 sch. 657
scholars. Pop. whites 9,331, slaves 3.683, free col'd 44; total,
Howard's Gore, Oxford co., Me. It has 3 sch. 47 scholars. Pop.
Howard, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 231 w. Albany. 311 W. The
surface is undulating: soil, a fertile clay loam. Drained by
branches of Canisteo cr. and Conhocton r. The v. contains 1
Methodist church, a high school, 3 stores, 40 dwellings, and 250
inhabitants. The t. has 3 stores, cap. $10,300; 2 fulling m., 3
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,450. 28 sch. 1,190
scholars. Pop. 3,247.
Howard, p-t., Centre co., Pa., 97 n. w. Harrisburg, 189 W. The
surface is mountainous, the main ridge of the Alleghany passing
through it. Drained by Bald Eagle cr. and its tributaries, and
Marsh and Beach cr. The soil, in the valleys, is a calcareous
loam. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 1. furnace, 1 tannery. 5 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 6 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 1,409.
Howard, t., Knox co., O. The soil is fertile. 1 Watered by
Vernon and Jelloway rivers. It has 6 sch. 333 scholars. Pop. 99.
Howard, t., Cass co., Mich. Watered by Putnam's cr. and another
branch of Dowagiake r. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $250. 2
sch. 60 scholars. Pop. 370.
Howard's Point, p-o., Fayette co., Ill., 94 s.. K. Springfield,
Howard s Valley, p-o., Windham co., Ct., 38 e. by n. Hartford,
Howardsville, p-o., Albemarle co., Va., 85 t w. n. w. Richmond,
Howardsville, p-o., Davies co., Ky. Howell, t., Monmouth county,
N. J. The surface is level; soil, sand, sandy loam, and clay.
Drained by Shark. Manasquan, and Mettecunk Rivers, which flow E.
to the Atlantic. It contains 16 stores, cap. $23,600; 2
tanneries, 10 grist m.. 8 saw m., 4 furnaces. Cap. in manufac.
$5,000. 15 sch. 475 scholars. Pop. 4,699.
Howell, p-o., Logan co., O., 82 n. w. Columbus, 453 W.
Howell, p-v., Howell t., capital of Livingston co., Mich., 51 w.
by n. Detroit, 554 W. It contains a court house, jail, an
academy, 1 store, i 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., and 50 or 60
dwellings. There are in the t., 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1
flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,000. 3 sch. 78
scholars. Pop. 321.
Howell, p-v., Cobb co., Ga., 112 n. w. Milledgeville, 689 W.
Howell's Springs, p-o., Hardin co., Ky., 90 s. w. Frankfort, 632
Howellsville, p-v., Delaware co., Pa., 90 E. s. e. Harrisburg,
Howellsville, p-v., Warren co., Va., 146 N. n. w. Richmond, 77
W. Situated on the Shenandoah river, and contains a church, free
to all denominations, 1 store, 2 flouring m., 8 or 10 dwellings,
and about 50 inhabitants. The river is navigable, for boats, 150
miles above this place.
Howell Works, p-o., Monmouth co., N. J., 47 e. s. e. Trenton,
213 W. Situated on Manasquan r., and contains a store, extensive
iron works, and 50 or 60 dwellings.
Howland, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 106 n. n. e. Augusta, 701 W.
Watered by Piscataquis r. Incorporated in 1826. The soil is
fertile. It has 5 saw m., 5 sch. 151 scholars. Pop. 322.
Howlet Hill, p-o., Onondaga t., Onondaga co, N. Y.
Hoylesville, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 186 w. by s. Raleigh, 423
Hoysburg, p-o., Alleghany co., Md.
Hoysville, p-v., Loudon co., Va., 166 n. Richmond, 43 W.
Situated near Kittoctan cr., 2 miles s. of the Potomac. It
contains several flouring mills.
Hubbard, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 183 n. e. Columbus, 296 W. A
flourishing t., situated on the Pennsylvania line, 18 s. e. of
Warren. It has 8 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,242.
Hubbard's, p-o., Benton co., Ark., 190 n. w. Little Rock, 1,171
Hubbardston, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 54 w. by n. Boston, 412
W. Incorporated in 1767. Watered by branches of Ware r., which
afford water power. The v. contains 1 Congregational and 1
Unitarian church, and about 50 dwellings. The town has 4 stores,
cap. $9,000; 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 17 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$13,375. 12 sch. 575 scholars. Pop. 1,784.
Hubbardton, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 81 s. s. w. 3Iontpelier, 459
W. The surface is uneven and rough, and in some parts
mountainous. Watered by Hubbardton r., which flows into Lake
Champlain. It has 2 fulling m., 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 4 saw
Huberta, p-o., Washington co., Ala.
Hublersburg, p-v., Walker t., Centre co., Pa., 58 n. w.
Harrisburg, 180 W. A small v. containing 6 or 8 dwellings.
Huddleston's Cross Roads, p-o., Wilson co., Tenn., 22 e.
Nashville, 659 W.
Hudgion's, p-o., Jefferson co., Ark., 63 s. e. Little Rock,
Hudson, a river of the state of New York, though less in its
length and in the amount of water which it discharges than many
others, is one of the most important in the United States. The
Hudson, proper, rises by two branches in the mountainous regions
of Hamilton and Essex counties. The eastern branch from the n.
passes through Schroon Lake, and is sometimes called Schroon
branch; and the western has a circuitous course from the n. w.,
and is considered as the main branch, or Hudson. About 40 miles
from the source of each, they unite in Warren co. Alter a course
of 15 miles s. the Hudson receives the Sacandaga, on the line
between Montgomery and Saratoga counties. The Sacandaga rises in
Hamilton co., and first runs s. e., and then n. w. and w., to
its junction below Jessup's falls. The Hudson then runs to the
east of s. 15 miles to Hadley falls; it then turns to the N. E.
20 miles to Glen's falls. Its direction is then nearly s. to its
entrance into New York Bay. 40 miles below Glen's falls it
receives from the vv. the Mohawk, its greatest tributary. From
the junction of the Mohawk to its mouth, is about 170 miles. The
whole length of the Hudson, from its source to its entrance into
New York Bay, is a little over 300 miles. So straight is this
river between Albany and New York, that the distance is less by
water than by land. The tide flows to a little above Albany. It
is navigable for the largest ships 118 miles, to Hudson, and for
sloops and large steamboats 145 miles above New York, to Albany.
Small sloops also proceed to Troy and through the dam and lock
to Waterford, about 8 miles farther. Through a considerable part
of its course the banks are elevated, and in some parts high,
rocky, and precipitous; particularly in its passage through the
Highlands, 53 miles above the city of New York. The scenery on
the banks of the Hudson is highly picturesque. The city of New
York owes much of its prosperity, and its preeminent advantages,
to this noble river, connected as it is with the Erie and the
Champlain canals. By no other route can an equally favorable
water communication be had with the great West. There are many
large and flourishing towns on the Hudson. The principal on the
E. side are Troy, Hudson, and Poughkeepsie; and on the w. side
Albany, Cattskill, and Newburgh; besides many others on both
sides. Its waters were the theatre of the first successful
attempt to apply steam to the propelling of vessels by Fulton
and Livingston in 1808.
Hudson, County, N. J. Situated toward the N. e.
part of the state, and contains 75 sq. ms. Hudson r. bounds it
on the E., and the Passaic on the w. Drained by Hackensack
river. Capital, North Bergen. There were in 1840, neat cattle
2,951, sheep 824, swine 1,781; wheat 2.360 bush, produced, rye
5,335, Ind. corn 10,875, buckwheat 3,508, oats 9,141, potatoes
14,478; 23 stores, cap. $27,000; 1 furnace, 1 glass fac, 2
potteries, 1 saw m., 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. §411,850. 29 sch. 1,136 scholars.
Hudson, p-t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 68 s. by e. Concord, '263
W. Incorporated in 1746. The surface is level and fertile on the
streams, but otherwise, hilly and broken. Merrimac r. flows on
its w. border, across which is a bridge to Dunstable. It has 3
stores, cap. $2,600; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,625. 10 sch. 341 scholars. Pop.
Hudson, city, port of entry, and capital of Columbia co., N. Y.,
is situated on the e. side of Hudson r., at the head of ship
navigation, 116 N. New York, 29 s. Albany, 335 W., in 42° 14' n.
lat., 73° 46' w. Ion. Pop. 1820, 2,900; 1830, 5,392; 1840,
5,672. Its front consists of a bold promontory, rising 60 feet
above the level of the river, which has been formed into a
pleasant promenade, commanding a fine view r of the river and of
the surrounding country. On either side of this promontory is a
spacious bay, with a sufficient depth of water for the largest
vessels. The city is regularly laid out, with streets crossing
each other at right angles; with the exception of two streets
near the river, which follow the direction of the shore. The
main street extends s. e. more than a mile to Prospect hill, 200
feet high, to which the ground gradually rises. On the n. side
of this street, toward its upper end, is a public square. There
is another square in the s. part of the city, on which the court
house is situated. It is 116 feet long, the central part 40 by
60 feet, and 60 feet high, surmounted by a dome, and entered by
a portico of 6 Ionic columns. The wings are 34 feet front and 40
feet deep and 2 stories high. There are 8 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, J Methodist, 2 Friends, 2
Universalist, the Hudson Academy, Hudson Female Seminary, the
Franklin Literary Association, with a respectable library and
philosophical apparatus, the Hudson Lunatic Asylum, and a number
of select schools. The city is supplied with pure water, brought
2 miles in iron pipes from a spring at the foot of Becraft's
Mountain. This city was formerly much engaged in the West India
trade, which has, latterly, chiefly given place to the whale
fishery. It has 7 or 8 whale ships, 4 steamboats, with freight
barges, and a number of sloops. A steam ferryboat plies between
this city and Athens, on the opposite side of the river. The
Hudson and Berkshire Railroad connects this city with West
Stockbridge, Mass., and thence with Boston. Several streams in
the immediate vicinity afford considerable water power, which is
improved in manufacturing. There were in 1840, 116 stores, cap.
$410,450; 4 lumber yards, cap. $29,000; cap. employed in the
fisheries, $330,000; 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1
brewery, 3 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 weekly newspapers, 2
periodicals. Cap. in manufac. $135,650. 2 acad. 80 students,
sch. 590 scholars. Hudson was settled in 1784 by emigrants from
R. Island and Massachusetts. It was incorporated a city in 1785.
Hudson, p-t., Portage co., O., 137 n. e. Columbus, 335 W. The
surface is level or rolling, and the soil a fertile clay loam,
adapted to grazing and to grain. The v. is pleasantly situated
on a plain, from which the ground rises to the n. It contains 2
churches, 6 stores, and 75 or 80 dwellings. The Western Reserve
College is located here, on elevated ground in the n. e. part of
the village, and its buildings consist of 2 spacious college
edifices, an elegant chapel 3 stories high, containing
recitation rooms, the library and philosophical hall, a
theological college, a president's house, and a neat and
convenient astronomical observatory. The grounds around the
colleges are extensive, and ornamented with trees. In the rear
is a large building, devoted to manual labor. This institution
was founded in 1826, has a president and 9 professors, or other
instructors, 51 alumni, of whom 13 have been ministers of the
gospel, 63 students, and 4,200 vols, in its libraries. It has an
elegant and extensive philosophical apparatus. The commencement
is on the fourth Wednesday in August. Its funds are respectable,
and its prospects promising.
Hudson, p-t., Lenawee co., Mich., 84 s. w. Detroit, 516 W. The
soil is fertile, adapted to grain and to grazing. The v. is
situated on Bean or Tiffin cr., which affords extensive water
power, it has 1 store, cap $500; 3 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. $599.
Hudson, p-v., La Porte co., Ia., 158 n. Indianapolis, 650 W.
Hudson, p-v., McLean co., Ill., 94 n. e. Springfield, 754 W.
Hudsonville, p-v., Breckenridge co., Ky., 121 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 663 W.
Hudsonville, p-v., Marshall co., Miss., 231 n. by E. Jackson,
Hughesville, p-v., Muncy Creek t., Lycoming co., Pa., 90 n.
Harrisburg, 200 W. It contains 2 stores, 2 mills, and 30 or 40
Hughesville, p-o., Loudon co., Va., 149 n. Richmond, 40 W.
Hughsonville, v., Fishkill t., Dutchess co., N. Y. It contains 1
church, 3 stores, and about 30 dwellings.
Huguenot, p-o., Deer Park t., Orange co., N. Y., 113 w. s. w.
Albany, 268 W.
Hulburton, p-v., Murray t., Orleans co., N. Y. Situated on the
Erie canal, and contains 1 church, 2 stores, 40 dwellings, and
about 300 inhabitants.
Hull, t., Plymouth co., Mass., 9 e. s. e. Boston, by water.
Situated on a peninsula on the s. e. side of Boston harbor.
Incorporated in 1614. It has a beach 4 ms. long. The v. is on
Nantasket Head. Salt is manufactured here. It has 1 store, 1
sch. 42 scholars. Pop. 231.
Hull's Corners, p-o., Hannibal t., Oswego co., N. Y.
Hull's Mills, p-o., Stanford t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 63 s.
Albany, 322 W.
Hulmeville, p-v., Middletown t., Bucks co., Pa., 118 e.
Harrisburg, 160 W. It contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1
woolen fee, and about 40 dwellings.
Humansville, p-o., Polk co., Mo., 147 s. w., Jefferson City,
Hume, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 263 w. by s. Albany, 315 W.
The surface is undulating: soil, a fertile clay loam. Drained by
Genesee r. and tributaries. It has 10 stores, cap. $26,000; 1
furnace, 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $22,070; 11 sch. 487 scholars. Pop. 2,303.
Hummelstown, p-b., Derry t, Dauphin co., Pa., 9 e. Harrisburg,
119 W. It contains 1 Lutheran church, 4 stores, and about 160
dwellings. It has 2 sch. 60 scholars. Pop. 480.
Humphrey, t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 8 s. E. Ellicottville, 300
w. by s. Albany. The surface is undulating; soil, adapted to
grass. Drained by Five Mile run and Great Valley cr. It has 2
saw m., 2 sch. 53 scholars. Pop. 444.
Humphrey's Creek, p-o., McCracken co., Ky., 310 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 842 W.
Humphrey's Store, p-o., Monroe co., Tenn., 195 e. s. e.
Nashville, 546 W.
Humphrey's Villa, p-o., Holmes co., O., 72. N. e. Columbus, 353
Humphreysville, p-v., Derby t., New Haven I co., Ct., 51 s. w.
Hartford, 305 W. Situated on I Naugatuc r., 4 miles from its
entrance into the, Housatonic, at Derby landing. It contains 3
churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, 4
stores, 1 large cotton fee, 100 feet long and 4 stories high,
and about 60 dwellings.
Humphreysville, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 62 e. by s. E.
Harrisburg, 122 W.
Humphreys, County, Tenn. Situated toward the N.
w. part of the state, and contains 475 sq. ms. Tennessee r.
passes through the middle of the co. from s. to n. Capital,
Reynoldsburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,340, sheep
6,031, swine 21,461; wheat 18,290 bush, produced, Ind. corn
269,003, oats 36,681, potatoes 4,408, tobacco 1 4,285 pounds,
cotton 9,143, sugar 3,853; 8 stores, 1 cap. $33,600; 1 furnace,
4 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 3 flouring m., 15 grist m., 6 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $6,303. 10 sch. 217 scholars. Pop. whites
4,448, slaves 739, free col'd 8; total, 5,195.
Hunterdon, County, N. J. Situated in the w.
part of the state, bounded s. w. by Delaware r. The surface in
the s. part is level, in the N. mountainous. Soil, generally
very fertile. Watered on the e. by the s. branch of Raritan r.
and its tributaries; on the w. by several creeks which flow into
the Delaware. Capital, Flemington. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 20,722, sheep 27,102, swine 26,165; wheat 76,332 bush,
prod., rye 190,169, Ind. corn 347,276, buckwheat 107,093, barley
1,332, oats 490,650, potatoes 121,569; 86 stores, cap. $269,150;
2 fulling m., 1 woolen fee, 23 tanneries, 31 distilleries, 1
brewery, 2 potteries, 1 rope fac, 7 flouring m., 57 grist m., 60
saw m., 11oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap.
in manufac. $250,515. 86 sch. 2,587 scholars. Pop. 24,789.
Hunter, p-t., Greene co., N. Y., 18 w. Catskill, 54 s. w.
Albany, 356 W. The surface is mountainous, lying on the
principal range of Catskill Mountains, and containing the peak
called Round Top, 3,804 feet above the Hudson. The soil is
sterile, except on some of the streams. Wood, timber, and bark
for the tanneries, are exported. Drained by head branches of
Schoharie creek. The v. is situated on Schoharie kill, and
contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1 cotton fee, 1 grist m., 5 saw
m., 2 tanneries, 50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. There
are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $4,600; 1 cotton fac. 368 sp., 5
tanneries, 16 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $66,500. 11 sch. Ill
scholars. Pop 2,019.
Huntersland, p-o., Middleburg t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 31 w.
Albany, 377 W.
Hunterstown, p-v., Strabane t., Adams co., Pa., 35 s. w.
Harrisburg, 85 W. It contains a Lutheran church, 2 stores, and
20 or 30 dwellings.
Huntersville, p-v., capital of Pocahontas co., Va., 190 w. n. w.
Richmond, 235 W. The situation is elevated 1,800 feet above the
Atlantic, on Kapp's cr., 6 ms. above its entrance into
Greenbrier r. It contains a court house, jail, 3 stores, 25
dwellings, and 130 inhabitants. Near the v. are 2 sulphur
Huntersville, p-v., Hardin co., O., 81 n. w. Columbus, 452 W.
Hunting Creek, p-o., Accomack co., Va., 199 e. Richmond, 196 W.
Huntingdon, County, Pa. Situated a little s. w.
of the centre of the state, and contains 1,276 sq. ms. Watered
by Juniata r. and its tributary, Raystown branch. Organized in
1787. A part of it is fertile and well cultivated, and a part
mountainous and covered with timber. Iron, in abundance, lead,
bituminous coal, salt, and alum, are found. The Pennsylvania
canal passes through the co., along the Juniata r. The railroad
across the Alleghany mountains commences at Hollidaysburg, in
the w. part of this co. Capital, Huntingdon. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 24,747, sheep 26,598, swine 32,003; wheat 521,816
bush, produced, rye 175,457, Ind. corn 345,795, buckwheat
79,952, barley 4,937, oats 518,959, potatoes 141,046; 28
commission houses, cap. $144,600; 119 stores, cap. $581,600; 20
furnaces, 27 forges, 6 fulling m., 9 woolen fee, 34 tanneries,
15 distilleries, 2 breweries, 7 potteries, 4 printing offices, 4
weekly newspapers, 4 flouring m., 65 grist m., 182 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $331,427. 1 acad. 20 students, 35 sch. 949 scholars.
Huntingdon, p-b., capital of Huntingdon co., Pa., 92 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 151 W. Situated on the w. side of Frankstown branch
of Juniata r., at its entrance into the latter, 50 ms. from its
mouth. It contains a brick court house, a stone jail, 6
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Associate
Reformed, 1 Methodist, 1 j Roman Catholic, and 1 colored
Methodist, an academy, 13 stores, cap. $83,200; 2 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 1 brewery, 1 pottery, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $13,950. 5 sch. 187 scholars. Pop.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!