Huntingdon, PA to Hyndsville, NY
Huntingdon, t., Luzerne co., Pa. It has North Mountain in its n.
part and Knob Mountain on its s. e. part. The surface is
rolling, and the soil adapted to cultivation. It contains the v.
of New Columbus near its w. border. It has 7 stores, cap.
$28,000; 1 fulling m, 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $24,630. 8 sch. 325 scholars. Pop. 1,242.
Huntingdon, t., Adams co., Pa., 12 n. e. Gettysburg. The surface
is level; soil, calcareous loam and gravel. Bermudian cr. runs
on its w. border. It has 2 churches, 5 ms. apart, in its w.
part, and the v. of Middleton in its n. w. part. It contains 4
stores, cap. $30,500; 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. 812,790. 8 sch. 295 scholars. Pop.
Huntingdon, p-v., capital of Carroll co., Term., 98 w.
Nashville, 783 W. Situated on the s. fork of Obion r. It
contains a court house, and several stores and dwellings.
Hungtington, County, la. Situated toward the n. E. part of the
state, and contains 384 sq. ms. Organized in 1832. The surface
on the rivers is level; back of them, undulating. Watered by
Wabash r. and its tributaries, Salmania and Little rivers. The
Wabash and Erie Canal passes through the co. Capital,
Huntington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,307, sheep 529,
swine 1,332; wheat 6,427 bush, produced, Indian corn 46,702,
oats 9,435, potatoes 6,58'J, sugar 8,518; 11 stores, cap.
818,000; 4 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,070. 1 sch.
15 scholars. Pop. 1,579.
Huntington, t, Chittenden co., Vt., 20 w. Montpelier, 15 s. e.
Burlington. Chartered in 1763, but not settled until 1786. The
surface is very uneven, lying on the Green mountains, and
containing Camel's Rump, one of its highest peaks, in its e.
part. Watered by Huntington r., a branch of Onion r., which
affords water power. The soil is sterile. It has 2 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $2,500. 7
sch. 229 scholars. Pop. 914.
Huntington, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 17 w. New Haven, 49 s. w.
Hartford, 293 W. Incorporated in 1789. The surface is uneven,
and the soil fertile, adapted to grain. The v. contains 1
Congregational and 1 Episcopal church. The t. contains 6
churches, 2 Congregational, 2 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist. Housatonic r. runs on the e. border of the t., and is
here crossed by 2 bridges. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,000; 2
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 paper fac, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $16,700. 5 sch. 103 scholars. Pop. 1,326.
Huntington, p-t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 189 s. by E. Albany, 269
W. It extends across Long Island, in its widest part. The
surface is hilly on the n., level on the s. The soil is various.
It has several bays setting up from Long Island sound, and is
drained by small streams, flowing into Great South Bay on the s.
The v., situated at the head of Huntington harbor, a branch of
Huntington bay, contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Universalist, an academy, several stores, a
wind m., 50 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. It has a fine
harbor. There are in the t. 30 stores, cap. $110,200; 7 lumber
yards, cap. $10,200; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 1
pottery, printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 9
grist in., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $120,440. 1 acad. 83
students, 31 sch. 1,354 scholars. Pop. 6,562.
Huntington, p-t., Lorain co., O., 20 s. w. Elyria, 95 n. n. e.
Columbus, 376 W. Watered by the w. branch of Black r. It has 2
sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 743.
Huntington, t., Brown co., O. Ohio r. runs on its s. border, and
it contains the v. of Aberdeen. The first settlement in the co.
was made in this t. in 1795. It has 1 sch. 50 scholars. Pop.
Huntington, t., Gallia co., O. Watered by Racoon cr., and
contains the v. of Vinton. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,500. Pop. 971.
Huntington, t., Ross co., O. The soil is fertile, and well
cultivated. Pop. 1,169.
Huntington, p-v., Laurens dist., S. C, 82 jt. w. Columbia, 484
Huntington, p-v., capital, Huntington co., la., 105 n. N. E.
Indianapolis, 570 W. It is situated on the n. side of the Wabash
r., and contains a court house, jail, and several dwellings.
Huntington Bay, Hempstead t., Suffolk co., N. Y., sets up from
Long Island sound, between Eaton's and Lloyd's Neck. It is a
safe harbor, and abounds with shell and other fish, and wild
Huntingtown, p-v., Calvert co., Md., 42 g. w. Annapolis, 72 W.
Huntsburg, p-t., Geauga co., O., 175 n. e. Columbus, 334 W. It
has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$400. 1 sch. 24 scholars. Pop. 911.
Hunt's Cross Roads, p-o., Randolph co., Ia. t 84 E. n. e.
Indianapolis, 515 W.
Hunt's Fork, p-o., Davidson co., N. C.
Hunt's Hollow, p-v., Portage t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 258 w.
Albany, 353 W. It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, 1 store, and 30 or 35 dwellings.
Hunt's Store, p-o., Guilford co., N. C, 98 w. n. w. Raleigh, 319
Huntsville, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 126 n. e. Harrisburg, 237 W.
Huntsville, p-v., Liberty t., Butler co., O., 95 w. s. w.
Columbus, 479 W.
Huntsville, p-v., Surry co., N. C, 138 w. n. w. Raleigh, 339 W.
Situated on the w. side of Yadkin r.
Huntsville, p-v., Laurens dist., S. C, 56 n. w. Columbia, 510 W.
Huntsville, p-v., capital of Madison co., Ala., 153 n. n. e.
Tuscaloosa, 708 W. Situated 10 ms. n. of Tennessee river. It
contains a fine court house, bank, market house, U. S. land
office, 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Cumberland
Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 1 academy, 1 seminary,
18 stores, and 2.496 inhabitants. The court house is of Grecian
architecture, and cost $45,000. The bank is of hewn stone, with
an Ionic portico, and cost $30,000. The houses are neat, and
many of them elegant. There is a macadamized road to Tennessee
Huntsville, p-v., Schuyler co., Ill., 80 w. s. n. Springfield,
Huntsville, p-v., capital of Randolph co., Mo., 78 n. N. w.
Jefferson city, 961 W. It is situated on the e. side of E.
Huntsville, p-v.. Paulding co., Ga., 136 w. n. w. Milledgeville,
Huntsville, p-v., capital of Madison co., Ark., 175 n. w. Little
Rock, 1,183 W. It is situated on the s. side of the War Eagle
branch of White r.
Hurley, p-t., Ulster co., N. Y., 60 s. s. w Albany, 319 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, a fertile calcareous loam. Drained by
Esopus creek. The v., on Esopus cr., contains 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, 1 store, and 30 or 35
dwellings. The t. has 5 stores, cap. $15,000; 1 woolen fac, 3
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $41,650. 6 sch. 447
scholars. Pop. 2,201.
Hurl Gate. (See Hell Gate.)
Huron Lake, one of the 5 great lakes of North America, lies on
the boundary between the United States and Canada, and may be
regarded as 218 miles long, and 180 broad, though its irregular
form renders it difficult to determine this with much precision.
It receives the waters of Lake Superior through the Straits of
St. Mary, and of Lake Michigan through the Straits of
Michilimackinac, and discharges its waters into Lake Erie
through St. Clair r. and lake and Detroit r. The Manitoulin
Islands stretch across its n. part, from e. to w., and one of
them, the Grand Manitou, is 80 ms. long. Tins Lake, though very
deep, is generally shallow near its shores. It has some fine
Huron, r., O., rises in Richland co., and flows through Huron
and Erie counties into Lake Erie, at Huron. It is navigable, by
a crooked channel, 6 or 7 miles from its mouth. A canal is
constructed along this r., from Milan to the head of navigation.
Huron, r., Mich., rises in Oakland and Livingston counties, and
enters Lake Erie a few ms. below the mouth of Detroit r. This r.
and its branches afford extensive water power. Its length is
about 90 ms.
Huron, County, O. Situated in the n. part of the state, and
contains 800 sq. ms. Watered by Huron and Vermilion Rivers, and
their branches. The soil is fertile, and well cultivated.
Capital, Norwalk. There were in 1840, neat cattle 23,595, sheep
28,182, swine 31,333; wheat 164,056 bush, produced, rye 2,501,
Indian corn 163,293, buckwheat 5.446, oats 148,669, potatoes
147,328, silk cocoons 1,039 pounds; 5 commission houses, cap.
$23,000; 36 stores, cap. $235,300; 6 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 6
tanneries, 3 distilleries, 2 potteries, 3 flouring m., 11 grist
m., 41 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $207,400. 146 sch. 5,119 scholars. Pop. 23,933.
Huron, County, Mich. Situated on the point of land between Lake
Huron and Saginaw bay. Surface low, and in many places swampy.
Huron, p-t., Wayne co., N. Y., 183 w. by n. Albany, 363 W. The
surface is level; soil, gravelly and sandy loam. Lake Ontario
bounds it on the n., from which East bay, Port bay, and Sodus
bay, set up. It contains the villages of Huron and Port Glasgow.
It has 4 stores, cap. $1,200; 1 fulling m., 13 saw m., 8 sch.
574 scholars. Pop. 1,943.
Huron, p-t., capital of Erie co., O., Ill n. by E. Columbus, 399
W. The v. is situated at the mouth of Huron r., on Lake Erie,
where is a good harbor. It contains 15 stores, 8 or 10
warehouses, and about 250 dwellings, and 1,000 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 5 commission houses, cap. $35,000; 12
stores, cap. $15,000; 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 2 sch. 64 scholars. Pop. 1,488.
Huron, p-t., Wayne co., Mich., 29 s. w. Detroit, 509 W. It has 2
sch. Ill scholars. Pop. 317.
Hurricane, p-o., Spartanburg dist., S. C., 105 N. w. Columbia,
Hurricane, p-o., Humphreys co., Tenn., 82 w.bys. Nashville 766 W
Hurricane, p-o., Montgomery co., III., 69 s. Springfield, 753 W.
Hurricane, p-o., Grant co., Wis., 127 w. Madison, 917 W.
Hurricane Shoals, p-o., Jackson co., Ga., 97 w. n. w.
Milledgeville, 628 W.
Hurts Cross Roads, p-o., Maury co., Tenn., 34 s. by w.
Nashville, 711 W.
Huston, t., Centre co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 2
furnaces, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 2 sch.
80 scholars. Pop. 557.
Hustonville, p-v., Lincoln co., Ky., 53 s. s. E. Frankfort, 567
Hutsonville, p-v., Crawford co., Ill., 147s. E. Springfield, 681
Huttonville, p-o., Randolph co. Va., 195 n. w. Richmond, 222 W.
Hyannis, p-v., Barnstable t., Barnstable co., Mass., 77 s. e.
Boston, 478 W. Situated 5 s. e. Barnstable court house, and
contains 1 Baptist and 1 Universalist church.
Hyannis Port, p-o., Barnstable t., Barnstable co., Mass., 79 s.
e. Boston, 480 W. Here is a good harbor, with a breakwater,
constructed by the United States.
Hyattstown, p-v., Montgomery, co., Md., 72 w. by n. Annapolis,
Hyattsville, p-v., Monroe t., Miami co., O., 82 w. Columbus, 475
W. Situated near the Miami canal, and contains 2 stores, and
about 100 inhabitants.
Hyco, p-o., Halifax co., Va.
Hyde, County, N. C. Situated in the e. part of the state, and
contains 800 sq. ms. It has Pamlico sound on the s. e. Surface
low, with extensive marshes. Capital, Lake Landing. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 6,411, sheep 4,835, swine 1,629; wheat
21,055 bush, produced, Ind. corn 234,837, oats 18,737, potatoes
56,506, cotton 45,830 pounds; 17 stores, cap. $63,000; 7
flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,500. 5
sch. 133 scholars. Pop. whites 4,009, slaves 2,193, free col'd
251; total, 6,453.
Hyde Park, p-t., capital of Lamoille co., Vt., 31 n. Montpelier,
545 W. Chartered in 1781. Watered by Lamoille r. and its
branches, which afford good water power. The soil is fertile,
and easily cultivated. The v. contains a court house, jail, and
a number of dwellings. It has 2 stores, cap. $9,000; 7 saw m.
Cap. in manufactures, $3,560. 11 sch. 280 scholars. Pop. 1,080.
Hyde Park, p-t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 66 s. Albany, 305 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, gravelly loam and clay. Hudson r.
bounds it on the w., and the soil along the r. is fertile.
Drained by Crum Elbow cr. There are some delightful residences
along the borders of the Hudson. The v. is on the e. side of
Hudson r., and contains 3 churches, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1
Episcopal, 1 Methodist, 5 stores, 1 warehouse, 1 grist m., 1
plaster m. It has 2 commodious steamboat landings, from which
boats and barges ply to N. York, and a horse ferryboat, which
plies across the r. There are in the t., 2 stores, cap. $5,800;
1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$27,200. 2 sch. 57 scholars Pop. 2,364.
Hyde Park, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 144 n. e. Harrisburg, 248 W.
Hydesburg, p-v., Ralls co., Mo., 108 n. n. e. Jefferson city,
Hyde Settlement, p-o., Barker t., Broome co., N. Y., 134 w. s.
w. Albany, 310 W.
Hydraulic Mills, p-o., Albemarle CO. j v U., 90 w. n. w.
Richmond, 126 W.
Hyndsville, p-o., Seward t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 44 w. Albany,
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!