Indian Town, NC to Izard, AR
Indian Town, p-v., Currituck co., N. C, 232 K. N. e. Raleigh,
280 W. Situated at the head of North r.
Indian Town, p-v., Williamsburg dist., S. C, 118 E. s. e.
Columbia, 480 W. Situated on Cedar cr.
Industry, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 34 n. w. Augusta, 627 W.
Sandy r. runs across its s. E. part. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grain, with excellent meadow on the r. Incorporated
in 1803. It has 4 stores, cap. $5,200; 2 tanneries, 3 grist m.,
3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,260. 9 sch. 304 scholars. Pop.
Industry, p-v., Beaver co., Pa., 234 w. by n. Harrisburg.
Ineabar, t., Lafayette co. Mo. It has 1 sch. 19 scholars. Pop.
Ingham, County, Mich. Centrally situated toward
the s. part of the state, and contains 560 sq. ms. Organized in
1833. It. contains Pine, Portage, and Swampy lakes, and Red
Cedar, Willow, Mud, and Sycamore creeks. The surface is
generally level, and the soil fertile. The principal timber is
sugar maple and beech. Capital, Vevay. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 2,516, sheep 172, swine 4,353; wheat 23,127 bush,
produced, Indian corn 18,923, oats 10,947, potatoes 24,951,
sugar 37,782 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $4,800; 1 tannery, 1 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,700. 13 sch. 267 scholars.
Ingham, p-t., Ingham co., Mich., 77 w. Detroit, 563 W.
Ingles Ferry, p-v., Montgomery co., Va.,215 W. by s. Richmond,
283 W. It has 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 273.
Inland, p-o., Starke co., O., 126 n. e. Columbus, 326 W.
Inlet, p-o., Jo Daviess co., Ill., 174 n. by w. Springfield, 808
Intercourse, p-v., Leacock t., Lancaster co., Pa., 48 e. by s.
Harrisburg, 123 W. It contains 10 or 12 dwellings.
Intercourse, p-o., Sumter co., Ala., 83 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 901 W.
Inverness, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 146 n. e. Columbus, 278 W.
Iola, p-v., Calhoun co., Flor., 58 s. s. w. Tallahassee.
Situated on the w. side of the Appalachicola r. A railroad
connects it with St. Joseph on the Gulf coast, distant 30 ms.
Ionia, County, Mich. Centrally situated toward
the w. part of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. The surface
is gently undulating; soil, very fertile. Drained by Grand r.
and its branches. Capital, Ionia. There w ere in 1840, neat
cattle 1,866, sheep 270, swine 3,202; wheat 32,382 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 14,784, oats 16,965, potatoes 23,500, sugar
35,635 pounds; 6 stores, cap. $26,000; 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $38,350. 8 schools, 290 scholars. Population, 1,923.
Ionia, p-t., capital of Ionia co., Mich., 136 w, N. w. Detroit,
623 W. The t. is on both sides of Grand r., by which and its
tributaries it is watered. The v. is situated on the n. side of
Grand r., which is navigable for boats to this place. The county
buildings are about being erected. It contains 1 Episcopal and 1
Baptist church, a U. S land office, several stores, 60
dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. The t. has 3 stores, cap.
$18,200; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $25,150. 2
schools, 140 scholars. Population. 486.
Ionia, v., Morgan co., Mo. Situated on the w. side of Moreau cr.
Iosco, t., Livingston co., Mich. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,200. 5 sch. 103 scholars. Pop. 395.
Iowa, County, Wis.
Situated in the s. w. part of the ter., and contains 1,300 sq.
ms. In the n., several small streams flow into the Wisconsin r.,
which bounds it on the n. Drained in the s. part by Pekatonokee
and Feve rs. It has some fine prairies, and lead and copper ore
are abundant. Capital, Mineral Point. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 4,567, sheep 583, swine 7,618; wheat 12,945 bush,
produced, Indian corn 76,885, barley 2,424, oats 147,782,
potatoes 49,382; 21 stores, capital $32,100; 30 smelting houses,
producing 8,909,000 pounds of lead, and employing 128 persons,
with a capital of $106,500; 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 4 grist
m., 7 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $24,350. 15 sch. 278 scholars. Pop. 3,978.
Iowa, p-o., Perry co., Ill., 149 s. Springfield, 824 W.
Iowa City, p-v., capital of Johnson co. and of the ter. of Iowa,
33 w. n. w. Bloomington, 86 s. s. w. Du Buque, 75 n. by w.
Burlington. Situated on the e. bank of Iowa r., which is
navigable for boats to this place at all stages of the water.
The water of the r. is clear and pure, the banks are high and
dry, and the neighborhood furnishes fine building stone and
excellent timber. This place was the hunting ground of the
Indian until 1839. The first plateau from the r., half a mile
long and 100 yards wide, is devoted to a public promenade. The
second elevation is about 12, and the third about 30 feet, above
the promenade. Upon the brow of the last runs Capitol Street,
120 feet wide, and is met at right angles by Iowa avenue, of
equal width. The Capitol, on Capitol-st., fronting Iowa avenue,
is of Grecian Doric architecture, 120 feet long by 60 feet wide,
and 2 stories high above the basement. It is surmounted by a
dome resting on 22 Corinthian columns. Its situation is
commanding. The v. has a church, 11 stores of different kinds,
150 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants.
Iowaville, p-o., Van Buren co., Iowa.
Ipswich, p-t., port of entry, and one of the capitals of Essex
co., Mass., 26 n. e. by N. Boston, 466 W. The surface is uneven,
and the soil fertile. Incorporated in 1634. Watered by Ipswich
r. The v. is pleasantly situated on both sides of Ipswich r., 12
ms. from its mouth, over which is a stone bridge. It contains a
courthouse, jail, a bank with $100,000 capital, 4 churches, 2
Congregational, 1 Unitarian, and 1 Methodist, and a female
seminary, incorporated in 1828, which has been long celebrated,
particularly for the preparation of teachers. The r. is
navigable to this place, and a number of vessels are engaged in
the coasting trade and the fisheries. The falls, immediately
above tidewater, afford extensive water power. Tonnage 1840,
3,739. It has 7 stores, cap. $75,000; 1 lumber yard, cap.
$4,000; 1 fulling m., 2 cotton fac. 2,640 sp., 4 tanneries. Cap.
in manufac. $110,800. 2 acad. 90 students, 9 sch. 966 scholars.
Ira, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 70 s. s. w. Montpelier, 448 W.
Organized in 1779. The surface is mountainous; soil well adapted
to grazing. Watered by Castleton r., Ira brook, and Furnace
brook, which afford good water power. It has a Baptist church, 2
saw m., 5 sch. 152 scholars. Pop. 431.
Ira, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 169 w. Albany, 355 W. The surface
is undulating; soil, sandy loam, and generally fertile. The v.
contains 1 Presbyterian Church, 2 stores, 25 dwellings, and
about 150 inhabitants. The t. has 5 stores, cap. $16,000; 1
furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,800. 16 sch. 795 scholars. Pop. 2,283.
Ira, t., St. Clair co., Mich. Pop. 204.
Irasburg, p-t., capital of Orleans co., Vt., 45 n. by E.
Montpelier, 561 W. The surface is undulating; soil, generally
fertile. Watered by Black and Barton rs. Named from Gen. Ira
Allen, its original proprietor, and incorporated in 1781. The v.
contains a court house, jail, 1 or 2 stores, and several
mechanic shops. The t. has 2 stores, cap. $9,000; 1 fulling m.,
1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,600. 10
sch. 371 scholars. Pop. 971.
Irbyville, p-o., De Kalb co., Ga.
Iredell, County, N. C. Situated toward the w.
part of the state, and contains 800 sq. miles. Catawba r. runs
on its s. w. border. Drained by branches of South Yadkin r.
Capital, Statesville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 15,770,
sheep 14,654, swine 39,025; wheat 109,444 bush, produced, rye
6,419, Ind. corn 677,811, oats 93,362, potatoes 22,539, tobacco
30,454 pounds, cotton 1,511,719; 17 stores, cap. $63,850; 14
tanneries, 150 distilleries, 26 flouring m., 34 grist m., 19 saw
m., 3 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $146,025. 2 acad. 120 students, 1
sch. 25 scholars. Pop. whites 11,930, slaves 3,716, free colored
39; total, 15,685.
Ireland, p-o., Hampden co., Mass., 101 w. s. w. Boston, 371 W.
Irish Ripple, p-o., Beaver co., Pa., 241 w. Harrisburg, 267 W.
Iron Creek, p-o., Washtenaw co., Mich., 57 w. Detroit, 521 W.
Irondequoit, p-t., Monroe co., N. Y., 5 n. Rochester, 223 w. by
n. Albany, 373 W. The surface is generally level; soil, sandy
and gravelly loam. Genesee r. bounds it on the w., and
Irondequoit bay of Lake Ontario on the e. It has Lake Ontario on
its n. border. It has 2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $1,200. 3 sch.
186 scholars. Pop. 1,252.
Irondequoit, cr. and bay, N. Y. The bay sets up from Lake
Ontario, 6 miles long and 1 wide. The cr. enters the head of the
bay, and affords water power.
Iron Furnace, p-o., Scioto co., O., 105 s. Columbus.
Iron Works, p-o., Cass co., Ga.
Iroquois, County, Ill. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 1,428 sq. ms. Drained by Iroquois r.,
and its branches, Sugar and spring creeks, and Kankakee r. A
large proportion of the land is prairie, and much of it is
fertile. Capital, Montgomery. There were in 1840, neat cattle
2,892, sheep 2,453, swine 7,805; wheat 15,684 bush, produced,
Indian corn 116,790, oats 41,428, potatoes 8,281, sugar 17,464
pounds: 7 stores, cap. $19,800; 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 2 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,700. 7 sch. 110 scholars. Pop.
Iroquois, p-v., Iroquois county, Ill., 180 n. e. Springfield,
682 W. Situated on the s. side of Iroquois r. It contains 5
stores, and 25 or 30 dwellings.
Irville, p-v., Licking t., Muskingum co., O., 56 e. Columbus,
349 W. It contains 1 store, 22 dwellings, and about 125
Irvine, no., Broken Straw t., Warren co., Pa., 215 n. w.
Harrisburg, 307 W. Irvine, p-v., capital of Estill co., Ky., 68
s. E. I Frankfort, 534 W. Situated on the n. side of Kentucky
r., and contains a court house and 200 inhabitants.
Irving's Store, p-o., Weakly co., Tenn., 114 j w. Nashville, 800
Irving, p-v., and port of entry, Hanover t., Chautauque co., N.
Y. Situated on Cattaraugus cr., at its entrance into Lake Erie.
It has a good landing, 1 store, 1 warehouse, and 8 or 10
dwellings. The United States have commenced improving the
Irving, v., Greenburgh t., Westchester co., N. Y., 26 n. New
York. Situated on the e. side of Hudson r. It has a good
landing, and about 20 dwellings. Tappan Bay, the Palisades, and
the Highlands, present a various and picturesque prospect.
Irvingsville, p-v., Franklin co., Mass., 76 w. n. w. Boston, 414
Irwin, County, Ga. Situated in the s. part of
the state, and contains 2,079 sq. ms. Drained by branches of
Alapahaw, Suwannee, Withlacoochee, and Ocklockony rivers.
Capital, Irwinville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 14,529,
sheep 1,223, swine 9,374; wheat 2,992 bush, produced, Indian
corn 33,543, potatoes 11,172, rice 1,782 pounds, cotton 21,100,
sugar 29,770; 4 stores, cap. $9,139; 1 flouring m., 4 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 1 sch. 23 scholars. Pop.
whites, 1,772, slaves 266; total, !2,038.
Irwin, t., Venango co., Pa., 12 s. w. Franklin b. The surface is
level; soil, loam. Drained by Scrub Grass cr. It has 1 store,
cap. $1,500; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $14,700. 4 sch. 141 scholars. Pop. 1,111.
Irwinton, p-v., capital, Wilkinson co., Ga., 20 s.
Milledgeville, 663 W. Situated on a gravelly ridge, between
Commissioner's and Big Sandy creeks, 4 ms. w. of the Oconee r.
It contains a court house, an academy, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist
church, several stores, and 30 dwellings.
Irwinton, p-v., Barbour co., Ala., 201 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 809 W.
Irwinville, v., capital of Irwin co., Ga., 105 s Milledgeville.
Situated on the e. side of Alapahaw r. It has a court house,
jail, and a few dwellings.
Isabella, County, Mich. Situated in the n.
portion of the settled part of the peninsula, and contains 576
sq. ms. Watered by Chippewa and Salt rivers. It is unorganized,
and attached to Ionia for judicial purposes.
Island Creek, p-t., Jefferson co., O., 145 e. by n. Columbus,
Island Ford, p-o., Rutherford co., N. C, 231 w. by s. Raleigh,
Island Town, p-o., Chattooga co., Ga., 185 n. w. Milledgeville,
Isleborough, p-t., Waldo co., Me., 54 e. Augusta, 643 W. It
consists of a large, and several mailer islands, in Penobscot
r., opposite to Northport and Lincolnville. It has a fertile
soil, and good harbors. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 5 sch. 87
scholars. Pop. 777.
Isle au Haut, p-o., Hancock co., Me., 73 e. s. e. Augusta, 663
W. Situated on an island in the Atlantic, s. of Deer island.
Isle la Mott, Grand Isle co., Vt. Incorporated in 1779. Received
the name of Vineyard in 1802. It is 13 w. of St. Albans, in Lake
Champlain. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500. Pop. 435
Isle of Shoals, N. H. and Me. They consist of 8 small islands.
Star island, containing 350 acres, constitutes the t. of Gosport,
and belongs to Rockingham co., N. H. The line between N. H. and
Me. passes between them. There is but little arable soil upon
them, and they are inhabited chiefly by fishermen.
Isle of Wight, County, Va. Situated in the s.
e. part of the state, and contains 400 sq. miles. Blackwater r.
bounds it on the w., and James r. on the n. e. Capital, Isle of
Wight C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,351, sheep 480,
swine 22,990; wheat 4,136 bush, produced, Indian corn 291,155,
oats 29,193, potatoes 77,092, cotton 30,834 pounds; 31 stores,
cap. $67,225; 1 tannery, 295 distilleries, 19 grist m., 9 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $35,890. 1 acad. 31 students, 28 sch. 369
scholars. Pop. whites 4,918, slaves 3,786, free col'd 1,263;
Islip, p-t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 191 s. by e. Albany, 271 W. The
surface is level; soil, light and sandy. The Atlantic Ocean
bounds it on the s., and along its shores are fish and wild game
of different kinds. The v. contains 2 churches and a number of
Scattered dwellings. There are in the t. 5 stores, cap. $13,400;
1 lumber yard, cap. $1,000; 2 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 1 grist m.
Cap. in manufac. $20,000. 10 sch. 577 scholars. Pop. 1,909.
Isney, p-o., Washington co., Ala., 157 s. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 971
Isone's Store, p-o., Maury co., Tenn., 50 s. by w. Nashville,
Israel's Mills, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 58 e. by s. Harrisburg,
Israel, t., Preble co., O. Organized in 1818. The soil is
fertile, well watered, and well cultivated. Pop. 1,547.
Israel's, r., N. H., a small stream which rises in the White
Mountains, and flows into Connecticut r., at Lancaster.
Italy, t., Yates co., N. H., 15 w. Penn Yan, 198 w. by s.
Albany. The surface is uneven; soil, clay loam. Canandaigua Lake
lies on its n. w. part. Drained by Flint cr. It has 1 store,
cap. $2,300; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $16,885. 9 sch. 496 scholars. Pop. 1,634.
Italy Hill, p-o., Italy t., Yates co., N. Y., 204 w. Albany, 320
Italy Hollow, p-o., Italy t., Yates co., N. Y., 207 w. Albany,
Itawamba, County, Miss. Situated in the N. K.
part of the state, and contains 900 sq. miles. Drained by the
head branches of Tombigbee r. Surface, undulating; soil,
fertile. Capital, Fulton. There were in 1840, neat cattle
12,301, sheep 1,909, swine 16,142; wheat 8,101 bushels produced,
Ind. corn 203,252, oats 5,590, potatoes 10,318, tobacco 8,719
pounds, cotton 270,970; 6 stores, cap. $24,660; 1 tannery, 2
distilleries, 10 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,430. 7
sch. 124 scholars. Pop. whites 4,652, slaves 720, free col'd 3;
Ithaca, p-t., and capital of Tompkins co., N. Y., 162 w. by s.
Albany, 40 s. E. Geneva, 295 W. The v. is situated on a plain H
m. s. of the head of Cayuga Lake. Cayuga inlet, a small cr.,
passes through the v., and is navigable for large canal boats
from the lake. The plain on which the v. chiefly stands is
surrounded on 3 sides by an amphitheatre of hills, which rise by
a gentle ascent to the height of 500 feet, and a part of the v.
lies on the hill, commanding an extensive view of Cayuga Lake,
and the surrounding country. The v. is regularly laid out, with
streets crossing each other at right angles. It contains about
700 houses, a court house and jail in the same building, a
county clerk's office, 6 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Dutch
Reformed, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 African, a
flourishing academy, and a lyceum. Clinton hotel is one of the
largest and most splendid establishments of the kind in the
state. Fall cr., Cascadilla cr., and Six Mile cr., in descending
from the hills, have falls that furnish a very extensive water
power, which is employed in manufacturing establishments. Fall
cr. descends 438 feet in the course of a mile, having 3
successive falls, one of 70 feet, another of 50 feet, and a
third, which is peculiarly grand, of 116 feet, in an unbroken
sheet. Other falls in the vicinity are little less surprising.
Its commercial advantages are very great. Through Cayuga Lake
and Seneca canal it communicates with the Erie canal on the n.,
and by the Ithaca and Owego railroad, 30 miles long, it
communicates with Owego and the Susquehanna, where it will unite
with the Erie railroad, which will afford it a winter
communication with the seaboard. Its trade with Pennsylvania is
already considerable, receiving iron and coal in exchange for
plaster, salt, lime, flour, and merchandise. A fine steamboat
for passengers plies daily between Ithaca and Cayuga Bridge, 42
ms. It was founded about 1800; chartered as a village 1821.
There were in the t. in 1840, 24 stores, cap. $141,300; 2 lumber
yards, cap. $81,000; value of machinery produced, $20,000; 2
woolen fac, cap. $30,550; 1 cotton fac. 1,572 sp., cap. $25,000;
3 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 paper fac, cap. $16,000; 2 flouring
m., 1 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 oil m., 4 printing offices, 2
binderies, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $279,250. 1
acad. 152 students, 15 sch. 1,852 scholars. Pop. 1830, 3,324;
Ithaca, p-v., Darke co., O., 104 w. Columbus, 497 W.
Ive's, p-o., Huron co., 86 N. Columbus, 390 W.
Ives Grove, p-o., Racine co., Wis., 101 e. s. e. Madison, 791 W.
Ive's Store, p-o., Princess Ann co., Va., 133 s. e. Richmond,
Ivy, p-o., Yancy co., N. C, 262 w. Raleigh, 492 W.
Ivy Mills, p-v., Delaware co., Pa., 88 e. by s. Harrisburg, 119
Izard, County, Ark. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 1,600 sq. ms. Watered by White river and
its branches, and by branches of Big Black r. Capital, Athens.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,115, sheep 1,128, swine 7,704;
wheat 7,764 bushels produced, Ind. corn 131,170, oats 6,771,
potatoes 4,307, tobacco 16,100 lbs., cotton 9,848; 8 stores,
cap. $19,500; 3 distilleries, 6 flouring m., 2 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $12,985. 6 sch. 151 scholars. Pop. whites 2,099, slaves
141; total, 2,240.
Izard, C. H., p-v., capital of Izard co., Ark., 150 n. Little
Rock, 1,076 W. Situated on the n. side of White r., and contains
a court house, and several stores and some dwellings. (See
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!