Jackson, TN to Jay, VT
Jackson, p-v., capital of Madison co., Tenn., 134 w. s. W.
Nashville, 819 W. Situated on the n. side of Forked Deer r. It
contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 10 stores, and about
Jackson, p-v., capital of Cape Girardeau co., Mo., 196 s. e.
Jefferson City, 866 W. Situated on a branch of Whitewater r., 10
ms. w. of the Mississippi r. It contains a court house, jail, a
U. S. land office, several stores, and about 800 inhabitants.
Jackson, t., Johnson co., Mo. It has 3 sch. 105 scholars. Pop.
Jackson, t., Livingston co., Mo. Pop. 593.
Jackson, t., Macon co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 28 scholars. Pop. 373.
Jackson, t., Monroe co., Mo. It has 3 acad. 125 students, 5 sch.
132 scholars. Pop. 2,905.
Jackson, t., Polk co., Mo. Pop. 1,035.
Jackson, t., St. Genevieve co., Mo. It has 2 sch. 42 scholars.
Jackson, t., Taney co., Mo. Pop. 687.
Jackson, t., Clarke co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop.
Jackson, p-v., Lawrence co., Ark., 140 n. e., Little Rock, 997
W. Situated 3 ms. n. of Spring r. It contains about 150
Jackson, t., Carroll co., Ark. It has 1 distillery, 1 grist m.,
1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 281.
Jackson, t., Sevier co., Ark. It has 1 store, cap. $4,100; 1
distillery, 2 grist m., 1 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 383.
Jackson, t., Monroe co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 16 scholars. Pop.
Jackson, t., Union co., Ark. Pop. 520.
Jacksonborough, p-v., Maryland t., Otsego co., N. Y., 62 w.
Albany, 366 W. It contains 2 churches, 4 stores. 1 grist m., 2
saw m., 2 clothiers' works, 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 gun fac,
50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Jacksonborough, p-v., Wayne t, Butler co., O., 91 w. s. w.
Columbus, 484 W.,
Jacksonborough, p-v., capital of Scriven co., Ga., 116 e. s. e.
Milledgeville, 637 W. Situated on the w. side of Brier cr. It
has a court house, jail, Methodist church, and about 15
Jackson Brook, p-o., Washington co., Me., 241 e. n. e. Augusta,
Jacksonburg, p-o., Herkimer co., N. Y., 73 n. W. Albany, 390 W.
Jacksonburg, p-v., Wayne co., Ia., 57 E. Indianapolis, 516 W.
Pop. about 100.
Jackson Corners, p-o., Milan t., Dutchess bo., N. Y., 49 s.
Albany, 327 W.
Jackson, C. H., p-v., capital of Jackson co., Va., 336 w. n. w.
Richmond, 335 W. It contains a court house, a store, and a few
Jackson, C. H., p-v., capital of Jackson co., Miss., 235 s. e.
from the capital of the state, and 1,053 W. It contains a court
house, 1 store, and a few dwellings.
Jackson's Cross Roads, p-o., Erie co., Pa., 264 n. w. Hamburg,
Jackson Grove, p-o., Fulton co., Ill-, 61 n. w. Springfield, 827
Jackson Hall, p-o., Franklin co., Pa., 51 w. s. w. Harrisburg,
Jacksonham, p-v., Lancaster dist., S. C. 80 n. n. e. Columbia,
Jackson Hill, p-o., Davidson co., N. C, 132 w. Raleigh, 378 W.
Jackson Creek, p-o., Fairfield dist., S. C, 31 N. Columbia, 497
Jackson's Ferry, p-o., Wythe co., Va., 244 w by s. Richmond, 312
Jackson's Mills, p-o., Monmouth co., N. J., 31 E. Trenton, 497
Jackson's Prairie, p-o., Steuben co., Ia., 182 N. n. e.
Indianapolis, 557 W.
Jackson, r., Va., rises in Warm Spring Mountains, and flowing s.
w., is joined by Cowpasture r., which together form James r.
Falling Springs, one of its head branches, has a perpendicular
fall of 200 feet.
Jacksontown, p-v., Licking t., Licking co., O., 31 n. e.
Columbus, 362 W. Situated on the national road, and contains 1
church, 3 stores, 40 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Jacksonville, p-v., Windham co., Vt., 142 s. Montpelier, 423 W.
Jacksonville, p-v., Ulysses t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 170 w. by
s. Albany, 303 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, 1 store, 25
dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Jacksonville, p-o., Burlington co., N. J., 15 s. Trenton, 160 W.
Jacksonville, p-v., Lehigh co., Pa., 89 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 183
Jacksonville, p-o., in the village of Elizabethtown, Wood co.,
Va., 325 w. n. w. Richmond, 304 W. (See Elizabethtown.)
Jacksonville, p-v., Sumpter dist., S. C, 91 E. Columbia, 529 W.
Jacksonville, p-v., capital of Telfair co., Ga., 115 s.
Milledgeville, 762 W. Situated on the N. bank of Ocmulgee r. It
contains a court house, jail, several stores, and about 30
Jacksonville, p-v., Duvall co., Flor., 252 e. Tallahassee, 801
W. Situated on the n. w. side of St. John's r. It contains a
court house, jail, a church, an academy, and several dwellings.
Jacksonville, p-v., capital of Benton co., Ala., 139 e. n. e.
Tuscaloosa, 717 W. Situated 2 ms. e. Tallasseehatchee cr. If
contains a court house, and a few dwellings.
Jacksonville, p-v., Wayne t., Darke co., O., 94 w. Columbus, 485
Jacksonville, p-v., Switzerland co., Ia., Ill s. E.
Indianapolis, 550 W.
Jacksonville, p-v., capital of Morgan co., Ill., 33 w.
Springfield, 813 W. It is one of the largest inland towns of the
state, situated in the midst of a fine prairie, which is rich,
and well cultivated. It has 24 stores, numerous mechanic shops,
1 steam flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 cotton yarn fac, 1 distillery,
2 oil m., 2 carding machines, and 1 tannery. The public
buildings and institutions are a brick court house, jail, 4
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Episcopal, 1
Congregationalist, a lyceum, a mechanics' association, a male
and female academy, and a brick market house. Here is situated
Illinois College, founded in 1829. It has a president, 4
professors or instructors, 42 students, and 2,000 vols, in its
libraries. The commencement is on the third Wednesday in
Jacks Reef, p-o., Elbridge t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 150 w. by n.
Albany, 354 W.
Jacobsburg, p-v., Bushkill t., Northampton co., Pa., 106 e. n.
e. Harrisburg, 119 W. It contains 1 store, a furnace, a grist
m., and 6 or 8 dwellings.
Jacobsburg, p-v., Smith t., Belmont co., O., 126 e. by n.
Columbus, 237 W. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, 35 dwellings,
and about 175 inhabitants.
Jacob's Creek, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa., 175 w. Harrisburg,
201 W. The cr. is a tributary of the Youghiogheny r., and forms
the s. boundary of the co.
Jaffrey, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 48 s. w. by 6. Concord, 449
W. Grand Monadnock lies partly in the n. w. part of the t. The
surface is uneven; soil, fertile, well adapted to grazing.
Drained on the E. by branches of the Contoocook r., which flows
into the Merrimac; and on the w. by branches of Ashuelot r.,
which flows into the Connecticut r. It has a mineral spring.
Incorporated in 1773. It has 3 stores, cap. $12,500; 1 woolen
fac, 1 cotton fac, 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$16,100. 1 acad. 40 students, 11 sch. 464 scholars. Pop. 1,411.
Jakes Prairie, p-o., Gasconade co., Mo., 61 s. E. Jefferson
city, 9'25 W.
Jamaica, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 127 s. Montpelier, 449 VV. The
surface is uneven; soil, fertile. Watered by West r., and its
tributary, Bald Mountain brook, which afford water power. The v.
contains 2 churches, 1 store, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 2 fulling
m., 2 carding machines, and 1 trip-hammer shop, on Bald Mountain
brook. Good limestone is found in the t. It has 2 stores, cap.
$6,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $3,100. 13 sch. 542 scholars. Pop. 1,586.
Jamaica, p-t., Queens co., N. Y., 12 e. New York, 158 s. Albany,
23S W. The surface is level, except the range of hills on the
n., which pass through Long Island. The soil is a productive
sandy loam. On the s. are extensive salt meadows. The Union
race-course is in the t. The v., situated on the Long Island
railroad, was incorporated in 1814, and contains the county
clerk's and surrogate's offices, 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Methodist, and 1 African, Union
Hall academy, a female seminary, 12 stores, 1 wind m., 1 piano
forte fac, 3 carriage fac, 1 lock fac, and 2 printing offices,
and an extensive establishment for the purposes of the railroad.
There are in the t. 9 stores, cap. $39,250; 1 lumber yard, cap.
$4,000; 1 woolen fac, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly news-papers,
5 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,350. 1 acad. 60
students, 7 sch. 394 scholars. Pop. 3,781.
Jamaica, p-o., Middlesex co., Va., 74 e. Richmond, 136 W.
Jamaica Plains, p-v., Roxbury t., Norfolk co., Mass., 6 s. w.
Boston, 438 W. It is situated in the w. part of the t., and
contains a Unitarian church and many elegant country seats. From
a pond here, the Boston aqueduct is supplied. The whole
aggregate length of the pipes is 40 miles.
James, r., Va., is formed by the union of Jackson's and
Cowpasture rivers, in the Alleghany mountains. At the point
where it begins to break through the Blue Ridge, it is joined by
North r. It is afterwards joined by the Rivanna, from the n.,
and at City Point by the Appomattox, from the s., its largest
branch, which is 120 ms. long, and navigable through a great
part of its course. James r. is over 500 ms. long, and enters
Hampton Road near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. The principal
places on this r. are Lynchburg, on the s. side, and Richmond,
on the n. side. A 40 gun ship may go up to Jamestown, and by
lightening, to Harrison's bar, where there is 15 feet of water.
Vessels of 250 tons go up to Warwick, and those of 120 tons to
Rockets, just below Richmond, 110 miles from its mouth. The
falls at Richmond have been obviated by a canal; and above that,
the r. is navigable for batteaux 220 miles. This r. forms the
outlet of a country abounding in tobacco, wheat, corn, hemp,
James, r., Mo., runs s. s. w. through Greene and Taney counties,
and enters White r.
James, t., Taney co., Mo. Pop. 164.
James' Bayou, t., Scott co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop.
James' Bayou, p-o., New Madrid co., Mo., 284 s. e. Jefferson
city, 924 W.
James City, County, Va. Situated toward the e. part of the
slate, and contains 150 square ms. James r. runs on its s.
border, and York r. on its n. e., and Chickahominy r. on its w.
border. The surface is undulating. Capital Williams-burg. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 2,713, sheep 914, swine 4,712; wheat
17,241 bush, produced, Indian corn 86,500, oats 34,765, potatoes
2,904, tobacco 8,000 pounds, cotton 6,307 pounds; 5 stores, cap.
$21,500; 1 tannery, 2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $6,500. 1
college 140 students, 1 acad. 36 students, 4 sch. 93 scholars.
Pop. whites 1,325, slaves 1,947, free col'd 507 ; total, 3,779.
James' Creek, p-o., Huntingdon co., Pa., 106 w. Harrisburg, 152
James' Cross Roads, p-o., Iredell co., N. C, 162 w. Raleigh, 400
James' Mills, p-o., Monroe co., Ill., 122 s. by w. Springfield,
James' River, p-o., Bottetourt co., Va., 181 w. Richmond, 228 W.
Jamestown, t., Newport co., R. I., 3 w. Newport. It comprises
Canonicut, a beautiful island in Narragansett Bay, 8 miles long,
and 1 wide. The soil is a rich loam, adapted to grazing. The
inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. Two ferries
connect it, one with Newport, and the other with South Kingston.
Incorporated in 1743. There are in the t. 1 store, cap. $1,200;
1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $1,300. 1 sch. 58 scholars. Pop.
Jamestown, p-v., Ellicott t., Chautauque co. N. Y., 331 w. by s.
Albany, 318 W. Situated on the N. side of the outlet of
Chautauque lake, which affords good water power. Incorporated in
1826. It contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Congregationalist, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, a bank, an
academy, 15 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 flouring m., 3 saw m., 1
sash and lath fac, 1 pail fac, 1 chair fac, 1 cabinet fac, 1
leather fac, 1 iron foundry and plough fac, and 1 carding and
cloth dressing works. A steamboat plies daily through Chautauque
Lake from this place to Mayville, 21 ms.
Jamestown, p-v., Mercer co., Pa., 251 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 298
Jamestown, p-v., Prince Edward co., Va., 69 w. s. w. Richmond,
167 W. Situated on Appomattox r. It contains 1 church, free to
all denominations, 2 stores, and several dwellings.
Jamestown, James City co., Va., 8 s. w. Williamsburg, 65 e. s.
e. Richmond. This was the first English settlement made in the
United States, having been founded in 1608. It was situated near
the n. side of James r., on a point of land projecting into
James r., 32 ms. above its mouth. It is now in ruins, containing
2 or 3 old houses, the ruins of an old church steeple and grave
yard, and of ancient fortifications.
Jamestown, p-v., Guilford co., N. C, 93 w. by N. Raleigh, 314 W.
Situated on the w. side of Deep r.
Jamestown, p-v., Sumter co., Ala., 57 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 875 W.
Situated on the w side of Tombigbee r.
Jamestown, p-v., capital of Fentress Co., Tenn., 124 e. by n.
Nashville, 580 W. Situated on the side of Cumberland mountain,
between the waters of s. fork of Cumberland and Obid's rivers.
It contains a court house and several dwellings.
Jamestown, p-v., capital of Russell co., Ky., 99 s. Frankfort,
613 W. Situated 4 ms. n. of the Cumberland r. It has a brick
court house, and 180 inhabitants.
Jamestown, p-v., Silver Creek t., Greene Co., O., 64 w. s. w.
Columbus, 449 W. It contains 3 brick churches, a steam grist and
saw m., a carding machine, moved by horse power, a saw m., by
water power, 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Jamestown, p-v., Boone co., Ia., 23 n. w. Indianapolis, 599 W.
It contains 1 store, and about 150 inhabitants.
Jamestown, p-v., Sangamon co., HI., 15 Spring-field, 765 W.
Jamestown, p-v., Grant co., Wis., 103 w. Madison, 898 W.
Jamestown, p-v., Andrew co., Mo. Situated 4 ms. n. of Missouri
r. It has about 50 inhabitants.
Jamesville, p-v., De Witt t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 127 w. by n.
Albany, 348 W. It contains 4 churches, 3 stores, 2 flouring m.,
1 saw m., 2 plaster m., 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 50 dwellings,
and 300 inhabitants.
Jamesville, p-v., Southampton co., Va.
Jamesville, p-v., Cherokee co., N. C, 351 w. by s. Raleigh, 581
W. Situated on the s. side of Valley r.
Janesville, p-v., Rock co., Wis., 41 e. s. e. Madison, 806 W.
Jarrett's-, p-o., Sussex co., Va., 52 s. by e. Richmond, 171 W.
Jarrett's Ford, p-o., Kanawha co., Va., 323 w. n. w. Richmond,
Jarrettsville, p-o., Harford co., Md., 63 n. Annapolis, 73 W.
Jarvis Gore, t., Penobscot co., Me. It has 1 saw mill. Cap. in
manufac. $500. 90 scholars in schools. Pop. 185.
Jasper, County, Ga. Situated near the center of
the state, and contains 480 sq. miles. Watered by branches of
Oconee r. Capital, Monticello. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,986, sheep 3,173, swine 18,283; wheat 35,436 bushels produced,
Ind. corn 443,903, oats 20,362, potatoes 5,270, cotton 5,058,6S0
pounds; 13 stores, cap. $39,660 ; 2 tanneries, 12 distilleries,
19 breweries, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $6,528. 5 acad. 257 students. 8 sch. 233 scholars. Pop.
whites 4,921, slaves 6,155, free col'd 35; total, 11,111.
Jasper, County, Miss. Situated s. E. of the
center of the state, and contains 650 square ms. Watered by
branches of Leaf r. Capital, Paulding. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 16,824, sheep 1,848, swine 14,029; wheat 2,550 bushels
produced, Ind. corn 160,245, oats 1,514, potatoes 23,377, rice
5,612 pounds, cotton 1,180,185; 7 stores, cap. $50,500 ; 1
tannery, 2 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 4 grist m., 4 saw m., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $15,200. 1
acad. 4 students, 3 sch. 83 scholars. Pop. whites 2,701, slaves
255, free colored 2; total, 3,958.
Jasper, County, la. Situated toward the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 980 sq. miles. It consists
mostly of prairie, interspersed with some timber. Watered by the
Iroquois r., which is navigable in high water, and by Pine and
Sugar crs. Capital, Rensselaer. There were in 1840, neat cattle
2,711, sheep 1,541, swine 4,247; wheat 5,076 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 47,070, oats 9,505, potatoes 3,278, tobacco 210
pounds, sugar 1,440; 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., I saw m., 2 oil
m. Cap. in manufac. $2,301. Pop. 1,267.
Jasper, county, Ill. Situated near the e. part
of the state, and contains 475 sq. miles. The surface is level,
two thirds prairie, and rather wet. Watered by Embarrass River.
Capital, Newton. There were in 1810, neat cattle 1,549, sheep
693, swine 4,350; wheat 2,620 bush, produced, Ind. corn 39,487,
oats 3,490, potatoes 3,079, tobacco 1,700 pounds, sugar 5,470; 2
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,854. Pop. 1,472.
Jasper, County, Mo. Situated in the s. w. part
of the state, and contains 980 sq. ms. Drained by a branch of
Neosho r. Surface undulating; soil fertile. Capital, Jasper.
Jasper, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 18 s. w. Bath, 239 w. by s.
Albany, 289 W. The surface is undulating; soil, clay and
gravelly loam, adapted to grazing. Drained by Bennett's and
Tuscarora crs. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 grist m., 15 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $2,320. 12 sch. 369 scholars. Pop. 1,187.
Jasper, p-v., capital of Walker co., Ala. (See Walker C. H.)
Jasper, p-v., Sunfish t, Pike co., O., 66 s. Columbus, 401 W.
Situated on the Ohio canal, 3 ms. w. Piketon.
Jasper, p-v., capital of Marion co., Tenn., 114 s. e. Nashville,
634 W. Situated on the w. side of Sequatchy r., and contains a
court house and several dwellings.
Jasper, p-v., capital of Hamilton co., Flor., 90 E. Tallahassee.
Situated 8 ms. n. of Suwannee r. It contains a court house and a
Jasper, t., Polk co., Mo. Pop. 556.
Jasper, p-v., capital of Dubois co., Ia., 124 s. s. w.
Indianapolis, 655 W. Situated on the n. w. side of the Patoka
cr. It contains a court house, 3 stores, and about 75
Jasper, p-v., capital of Jasper co., Mo., 163 s. w. Jefferson
city, 1,109 W. Situated on a branch of Neosho r.
Jasper, t., Ralls co., Mo. It has 3 schools, 81 scholars. Pop.
Jasper, t., Newton co., Mo. Pop. 185.
Java, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 267 vv. Albany, 352 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, clay loam, adapted to grazing. Watered
by Seneca cr. and head waters of Cattaraugus cr. The v. is
situated on Seneca cr., and contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, and 20 dwellings. The t.
contains 3 stores, cap. $8,000; 2 fulling m., 1 grist m., 1 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $10,400. 23 sch. 823 scholars. Pop. 2,331.
Java Village, p-o., Java t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 271 w. Albany,
Jay, County, Ia. Situated in the e. part of the
state, and contains 370 sq. ms. The sod is generally fertile.
Watered by Salamanie r. Capital, Portland. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 2,938, sheep 646, swine 7,42; wheat 9,703 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 62,842, oats 5,773, potatoes 9,135, sugar
16,018 pounds; 8 stores, cap. $11,500; 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $8,100. 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 3,863.
Jay, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 29 w. n. w. Augusta, 607 W.
Situated on Androscoggin r., which bounds it on the s. The soil
is fertile, and well cultivated. Incorporated in 1795. It has 3
stores, cap. $1,500; 2 saw m., 18 sch. 760 scholars. Pop. 1,750.
Jay, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 58 n. Montpelier, 574 W. Situated
on the Canada line. It is mountainous in the s. w. part, and
contains considerable good land. Watered by branches of
Missisque r. It has 2 saw m., 3 sch. 122 scholars. Pop. 308.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!