American History and Genealogy Project

Jay, NY to Jefferson City, MO

Page 310

Jay, p-t., Essex co., N. Y., 18 n. Elizabeth, 148 N. Albany, 523 W. The surface is mountainous. Watered by a branch of Au Sable r., along which are fertile flats. The v. is situated on the e. branch of Au Sable r., and contains 1 Methodist and 1 Baptist church, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 forge, 1 clothier's works, 50 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. The t. has 5 stores, cap. $26,000; 2 fulling m., 5 forges, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,050. 13 sch. 582 scholars. Pop. 2,258.

Jay C. H., p-v., capital of Jay co., Ia., 100 n. e. Indianapolis, 523 W. Situated on the n. side of Salamanie r. It has a court house, and a few dwellings.

Jaynesville, p-o., Covington co., Miss., 69 s. E. Jackson, 1,033 W. Situated on the w. side of a small branch of Leaf r.

Jeaneretts, p-o., St. Mary's par., La., 162 w. by s. New Orleans, 1,297 W.

Jefferson, County, N. Y. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 1,125 square miles. Bounded w. by Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence r. The surface is level, or gently uneven; soil, a rich sandy loam. Watered by Black r. through the centre, Indian, Chaumont and Perch rs. on the n., and Stony and Sandy crs. in the s. w. Capital, Watertown. There were in 1840, neat cattle 78,694, sheep 165,390, swine 60,518; wheat 406,721 bush, produced, rye 18,396, Indian corn 445,973, buckwheat 36,641, barley 74,540, oats 447,936, potatoes 1,345,818, hops 2,905 pounds, sugar 512,254; 2 commission houses, cap. $5,000; 166 stores, cap. $549,400; 18 lumber yards, cap. $189,250; 6 furnaces, 1 forge, 1 smelting house produced 300,000 pounds of lead, 22 fulling m., 11 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,000 sp., 31 tanneries, 9 distilleries, 8 breweries, 1 rope fac, 8 flouring m., 34 grist m., 109 saw m., 4 oil m., 1 paper factory, 4 printing offices, 5 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $721,249. 1 college 200 students, 2 acad. 125 students, 292 sch. 11,548 scholars. Pop. 60,984.

Jefferson, County, Pa. Situated toward the N. w. part of the state, and contains 1,200 sq. ms. The surface is hilly, and the soil, in the valleys, generally fertile. Watered by Mahoning cr., and Little and Big Sandy Lick crs., and Clarion and Toby's rivers. Iron ore and coal are abundant. Capital, Brookville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,773, sheep 7,342, swine 8,898; wheat 43,598 bush, produced, rye 24,467, Indian corn 23,369, buckwheat 14,501, oats 77,077, potatoes 64,110, sugar 27,067 pounds; 19 stores, capital $49,080 ; fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 6 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 14 grist m., 68 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $141,840. 1 acad. 25 students, 8 sch. 236 scholars. Pop. 7,253.

Jefferson, County, Va. Situated in the n. e. part of the state, and contains 225 sq. ms. Bounded n. e. by Potomac r. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, various. Watered by Shenandoah r. and Opequan cr. Capital, Charleston. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,915, sheep 67,289, swine 72,467; wheat 516,969 bush, produced, rye 41,975, Indian corn 938,552, barley 4,230, oats 71,999, potatoes 151,443 ; 57 stores, cap. $320,000 ; 2 furnaces, 3 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 6 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 1 brewery, 2 potteries, 18 flouring m., 17 grist m., 40 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufactures, $344,300. 8 acad. 262 students, 19 sch. 475 scholars. Pop. whites 9,323, slaves 4,157, free colored 602 ; total, 14,082.

Jefferson, County, Ga. Situated toward the e. part of the state, and contains 660 sq. miles. Ogeechee r. runs through its s. w. part, and Brier cr. runs on its n. e. border. Watered by Reedy and Mill crs. and branches of Ogeechee River. Capital, Louisville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,023, sheep 3,369, swine 16,537; wheat 10,301 bush, produced, rye 1,198, Indian corn 273,416, oats 4,391, potatoes 8,770, cotton 6,443,120 pounds ; 13 stores, cap. $39,660; 9 grist m., 9 saw m. 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop. whites 2,878, slaves 4,342, free col'd 35 ; total, 7,254.

Jefferson, County, Flor. Situated in the central part of the ter., extending from Georgia to the Gulf of Mexico. It contains 702 sq. ms. Mickasuky lake lies on its w. part. The outlet of the lake and several other streams unite, and 2 miles s. e. of the lake, where they constitute a considerable mill stream, they suddenly sink into the earth and disappear. The soil, in many parts, is fertile. Oscilla r. runs on its e. boundary. Capital, Monticello. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,112, sheep 752, swine 9,680; Ind. corn 125,540 bush produced, oats 2,015, potatoes 25,904, rice 7,300 pounds, tobacco 5,500, cotton 1,855,715, sugar 46,850; 9 stores, cap. $41,000; 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. 1 acad. 90 students, 5 sch. 94 scholars. Pop. whites 2,162, slaves 3,549, free col'd 2; total, 5,713.

Jefferson, County, Ala. Situated a little n. of the centre of the state, and contains 1,040 sq. ms. Watered by Locust Fork of Tuscaloosa or Black Warrior r. and its branches. Capital, Ely-ton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,032, sheep 2,331, swine 22,163; wheat 34,157 bush, produced, Ind. corn 353,721, oats 22,790, potatoes 9,314, tobacco 4,003 pounds, cotton 790,867; 5 stores, cap. $13,000; 4 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 25 grist m., 11 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $2,950. 33 sch. 464 scholars. Pop. whites 5,486, slaves 4,636, free col'd 9 ; total, 7,131.

Jefferson, County, Miss. Situated in the s. w. part of the state, and contains 630 sq. miles. Mississippi r. runs on its w. border. Drained by Fairchild's and Coles' crs. and branches, Bayou Pierre and Homochitto rs. Toward the w., and particularly on the Mississippi, the soil is fertile; toward the e. it is light, and covered with pines. Capital, Fayette. There were in 1840, neat cattle 15,156, sheep 7,595, swine 21,823; Ind. corn 364,972 bush, produced, potatoes 30,881, rice 6,818 pounds, cotton 14,033,479; 11 stores, cap. $112,000; 2 tanneries, 153 grist m., 8 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $88,300. 1 acad. 40 students, 15 sch. 318 scholars. Pop. whites 2,339, slaves 9,176, free col'd 85; total, 11,650.

Jefferson, Parrish, La. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. The Mississippi bounds it on the n., and Barrataria Bay of the Gulf of Mexico on the s. The land, excepting on the margin of the streams, is generally too low for cultivation. Capital, La Fayette. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,891, sheep 6,781, swine 2,878 ; Ind. corn 198,813 bush, produced, potatoes 82,250, rice 104,260 pounds, sugar 5,134,500; 143 stores, capital $64,749; 81 lumber yards, capital $110,745; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 6 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 daily newspapers, 1 weekly paper, 3 periodicals. Cap. in manufactures, $786,000. 1 acad. 55 students, 2 sch. 29 scholars. Pop. whites 4,866, slaves 4,986, free col'd 618; total, 10,470.

Jefferson, County, Tenn. Situated toward the e. part of the state, and contains 356 sq. ms. Holston r. runs on its n. w. border, and French Broad r. waters it in the s. part. The surface is uneven and rough, but it has some fertile soil. Capital, Dandridge. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,780, sheep 9,998, swine 27,717; wheat 80,449 bush, prod., rye 1,619, Ind. corn 336,644, oats 77.967, potatoes 12,631, tobacco 10,107 pounds, cotton 10,809, sugar 4,883; 17 stores, cap. $36,500; 2 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 500 sp., 49 tanneries, 18 distilleries, 1 powder m., 1 pottery, 12 flouring m., 33 grist m., 30 saw m., 3 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $62,272. 1 college, 80 students, 1 acad. 45 students, 13 sch. 320 scholars. Pop. whites 10,662, slaves 1,282, free col'd 132; total, 12,076.

Page 311

Jefferson, County, Ky. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 504 sq. ms. The Ohio r. runs on its n. w. border. Drained by Floyd's fork and Pond cr., branches of Salt r. The rapids of the Ohio lie opposite to this co., around which is a canal. Capital, Louisville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,716, sheep; 14,971, swine 42,266; wheat 115,175 bush, prod., rye 16,969, Ind. corn 665,899, barley 1,750, oats 156,092, potatoes 60,604, tobacco 75,360 pounds, sugar 3,944; 1 commercial and 11 com. houses, cap. $191,800 ; 270 stores, cap. $2,182,980; 3 lumber yards, cap. $52,000; 9 tanneries, 9 distilleries, 2 breweries, 1 glass fac, 2 potteries, 11 flouring m., 17 grist m., 17 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 7 printing offices, 2 binderies, 1 periodical, 5 daily, 7 weekly, 3 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in. manufac $861,006. 1 college, 80 students, 15 acad. 452 students, 37 sch. 814 scholars. Pop. whites 26,937, slaves 8,596, free col'd 763 ; total, 36,316.

Jefferson, County, O. Situated in the e. part of the state, and contains 396 sq. ms. Ohio r. runs on its e. border. Drained by Cross, Short and Yellow creeks, which afford water power. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile. Capital, Steubenville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 18,566, sheep 18,814, swine 11,279; wheat 287,486 bush, produced, rye 2,001, Ind. corn 177,459, barley 2,963, oats 215,378, potatoes 50,189, sugar 1,000 pounds; 3 com. houses, cap. $3,200 ; 62 stores, cap. $120,800; 5 lumber yards, cap. $23,000; 1 furnace, 1 fulling m., 7 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 10,224 sp., 10 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 2 breweries, 24 flouring m., 3 grist m., 22 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly news-papers. Cap. in manufac. $330,980. 1 college, 208 students, 2 acad. 170 students, 44 sch. 2,906 scholars. Pop. 25,030.

Jefferson, County, Ia. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and contains 360 sq. ms. Ohio r. bounds it on the s. e. Drained by branches of Muscatatack r., by Indian Kentucky cr., and Big and Lewis creeks. The surface is various, and the soil productive. Organized in 1809. Capital, Madison. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,000, sheep 13,477, swine 15,135; wheat 85,483; bush, produced, rye 2,126, Ind. corn 250,007, oats 84,264, potatoes 14,597, tobacco 13,180 pounds, sugar 6,603; 11 commercial and 5 com. houses, cap. $960,000; 35 stores, cap. $227,529 ; 1 furnace, 1 cotton fac. 800 sp., 12 tanneries, 1 brewery, 10 flouring m., 21 grist m., 31 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 4 weekly news-papers. Cap. in manufac. $233,693. 1 college, 72 students, 1 acad. 22 students, 16 sch. 1,050 scholars. Pop. 16,614.

Jefferson, county, Ill. Situated centrally, in the s. part of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Drained by branches of Big Muddy and Little Wabash rivers. The surface is one-third prairie, and the soil moderately fertile. Capital, Mount Vernon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,370, sheep 6,001, swine 17,955; wheat 11,503 bush, produced, Ind. corn 271,800, oats 27,797, potatoes 6,802, tobacco 29,272 pounds, cotton 13,862; 10 stores, cap. $23,900 ; 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 14 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $9,118. 1 acad. 125 students, 8 sch. 375 scholars. Pop. 5,762.

Jefferson, County, Mo. Situated in the e. part of the state, and contains 500 sq, ms. Drained by Big r. and Joachim cr. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, various. Minerals and mineral springs abound. Capital, Hillsboro. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,753, sheep 4,202, swine 13,533; wheat 13,350 bush, produced, Ind.com 182,125, oats 20,195, potatoes 4,836, tobacco 3,000 pounds; 6 stores, cap. $18,000 ; 1 smelting house, prod. 775,000 pounds of lead, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 3 flouring m., 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,900. 5 sch. 83 scholars. Pop. 4,296.

Jefferson, County, Ark. Situated a little s. e. of the center of the state, and contains 1,180 sq. ms. Watered by Arkansas r., which runs through its center. Capital, Pine Bluffs. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,443, sheep 439, swine 8,879; Ind. corn 157,560 bush, produced, potatoes 6,730, cotton 659,750 lbs; 7 stores, cap. $49,100; 1 tannery, 17 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $34,100. Pop. whites 1,551, slaves 1,010, free col'd 5 ; total, 2,566.

Jefferson, County, Wis. Situated toward the s. part of the territory, and contains 576 sq. ms. It is well timbered, and has some swamps. Drained by Rock r., passing through its Centre. Capital, Jefferson. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,045, sheep 32, swine 1,763; wheat 6,647 bush, produced, rye 186, Ind. corn 15,192, oats 4,465, potatoes 14,410, sugar 13,050 pounds; 1 store, cap. $2,500; 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,000. 6 sch. 133 scholars. Pop. 914.

Jefferson, County, Iowa. Situated in the s. w. part of the territory, and contains 330 sq. ms. Organized in 1839. Drained by Checauque or Skunk r. and its branches. It has a fertile soil. Limestone and stone coal are found. Capital, Fairfield. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,075, sheep 2,118, swine 7,172 ; wheat 4,223 bush, produced, Ind. corn 89,675, oats 10,795; 7 stores, cap. $16,500; 5 saw m., 7 sch. 151 scholars. Pop. 2,773.

Jefferson, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 21 s. e. Augusta, 613 W. It lies around Damariscotta pond, the outlet of which forms Damariscotta r. It has other ponds, from one of which flows Dyer's r., a branch of the Sheepscut r. Incorporated in 1807. It has 11 stores, cap. $3,650; 2 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 4 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,496. 15 sch. 345 scholars. Pop. 2,214.

Jefferson, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 108 n. Concord, 569 W. Watered by Israel's r. A pond in the t. gives rise to John's r. The surface is un-even and mountainous, and it has some good land, adapted chiefly to grazing. It has 1 store, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,100. 5 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 575.

Jefferson, p-t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 56 w. Albany, 375 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous ; soil, generally a poor sandy loam, excepting in the valleys. Drained by head branches of Delaware r. and branches of Schoharie cr., forming the height of land between Delaware and Hudson rivers. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,200; 3 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,600. 2 acad. 157 students, 18 sch. 609 scholars. Pop. 2,033.

Jefferson, v., Dix t., Chemung co., N. Y. Situated at the s. end of Seneca Lake, and at the termination of the Chemung canal. It has a convenient steamboat landing, and contains 1 Episcopal church, 3 stores, 3 warehouses, 1 flouring m., 1 steam saw m., 1 plaster m., 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. A steamboat runs daily, 40 miles, to Geneva.

Page 312

Jefferson, t., Morris co., N. J., 15 n. w. Morristown. The surface is covered with mountains, except one deep and narrow valley. Drained by Rockaway r., which affords good water power. Hurd's pond, 1½ m. long and 1 wide, enters Hopatcong Lake, from 3 to 4 ms. long and 1 wide, covering 3,000 acres, which forms a feeder to the summit level of the Morris canal. Iron is extensively found in the mountains. It contains 2 stores, cap. $35,000; 11 bloomeries, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,100. 5 sch. 175 scholars. Pop. 1,412.

Jefferson, p-t., Greene co., Pa., 204 w. by s. Harrisburg, 220 W. Monongahela r. bounds it on the e. The surface is rolling; soil, loam. The v. is situated on Ten Mile cr., 4 miles from its mouth, is surrounded by beautiful scenery, and contains 5 stores, 100 dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants. Incorporated in 1827. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $20,150; 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 85,950. 5 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. 1,295.

Jefferson, t., Alleghany co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $10,300; 1 tannery, 7 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 5 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 836,175. 10 sch. 450 scholars. Pop. 1,779.

Jefferson, t., Fayette co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,200; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 glass house, 1 paper fac, 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,485. 3 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 1,316.

Jefferson, t., Luzerne co., Pa. It has 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,100. Pop. 282.

Jefferson, p-t., capital of Ashtabula co., O., 204 n. e. Columbus, 338 W. Situated on Mills' cr., 10 miles from its entrance into Lake Erie. It contains a brick court house, 40 by 50 feet, an academy, 3 stores, and a printing office, issuing a weekly newspaper. The t. contains 5 sch. 110 scholars. Pop. 710.

Jefferson, t., Adams co., O. It contains the v. of Brush Creek Furnace, 11 e. of West Union. It has 5 stores, cap. $1,200; 1 flouring m. Cap. in manufac. $3,650. 1 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 1,498. P

Jefferson, t, Clinton co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $100 ; 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $235. 3 sch. 216 scholars. Pop. 474.

Jefferson, t., Coshocton co., O. Pop. 771.

Jefferson, t., Franklin co., O., 12 e. by n. Columbus. Watered by Black Lick and Rocky fork of Big Walnut creeks. The surface is level; soil, moderately fertile. It has 12 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 1,949.

Jefferson, t., Guernsey co., O. It has 3 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 941.

Jefferson, t., Jackson co., O., 6 or 8 ms. e. Jackson C. H. It has 1 sch. 26 scholars. Pop. 752.

Jefferson, t, La Fayette co., O. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,000; 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,450. 12 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 1,949.

Jefferson, t., Logan co., O. It has 5 sch. 135 scholars. Pop. 1,527.

Jefferson, t., Knox co., O. It has 5 sch. 180 scholars. Pop. 988.

Jefferson, t., Montgomery co., O. It contains the village of Liberty, and has 3 grist m., 3 saw m., and 8 distilleries, 5 sch. 260 scholars. Pop. 1,895.

Jefferson, t., Madison co., O., 14 w. Columbus. The national road passes through it. Watered by Little Darby cr. The v. contains 295 inhabitants. The t. has 5 stores, cap. $63,000; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,650. 12 sch. 370 scholars. Pop. 607.
Jefferson, t., Mercer co., O. It has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 368.

Jefferson, t., Muskingum co., O. It contains the v. of Dresden, and has 2 flouring m., 3 saw m., 6 sch. 376 scholars. Pop. 1,369.

Jefferson, t., Preble co., O. The national road passes through it. Pop. 2,164.

Jefferson, t., Ross co., O. The Scioto r. runs on its s. w. border. Drained by Walnut and Salt creeks and their tributaries, the latter of which affords water power. Pop. 871.

Jefferson, t., Richland co., O. It has 9 sch. 950 scholars. Pop. 2,325.

Jefferson, t., Scioto co., O. It borders on Scioto r., on which the bottom land is very fertile. It has 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 578.

Jefferson, t., Tuscarawas co., O. It has 2 saw m., 5 sch. 336 scholars. Pop. 992.

Jefferson, t., Williams co., O. It has 1 gnat m. Cap in manufac. $4,000. 1 sch. 25 scholars Pop. 353.

Jefferson, p-v., Clinton co., Ia., 46 n. by w. Indianapolis, 604 W. Situated on the borders of a beautiful prairie, 4 ms. w. of Frankfort, and contains 2 or 3 stores, and about 75 inhabitants.

Jefferson, t, Miami co., Ia. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 2 flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,400. 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 481.

Jefferson, t., Noble co., Ia. Pop. 68.

Jefferson, t., Putnam co., Ia. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,700; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,010. 8 sch. 489 scholars. Pop. 1,129.

Jefferson, t., Saline co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 8 scholars. Pop. 765.

Jefferson, t., Wayne co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 18 scholars. Pop. 326.

Jefferson, t., Jefferson co., Wis. It has 1 sch. 42 scholars. Pop. 250.

Jefferson, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 83 n. w. Annapolis, 51 W.

Jefferson, p-o., Powhatan co., Va., 34 w. Richmond, 136 W.

Jefferson, p-v., capital of Ashe co., N. C, 202 w. n. w. Raleigh, 366 W. Situated on the w. side of New river. It contains a court house, jail, several stores and dwellings.

Jefferson, p-v., capital of Jackson co., Ga., 95 n. Milledgeville, 630 W. Situated on w. side of Oconee r. It contains a court house, jail, an academy, several stores, and about 25 dwellings.

Jefferson, p-v., capital of Cherokee co., Ala., 152 n. E. Tuscaloosa, 677 W. Situated on the n. side of Coosa r. It has a court house, and several dwellings.

Jefferson, p-v., Rutherford co., Tenn., 22 s. e. Nashville, 677 W. Situated on w. side of Stone's r., a branch of Cumberland r., at the junction of the West Fork.

Jefferson, t., Cass co., Mich. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,700. 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 471.

Jefferson, p-t., capital of Jefferson co., Wis., 36 e. Madison, 834 W. It has 1 sch. 42 scholars. Pop. 250.

Jefferson Barracks, p-v., and U. S. Military Station, St. Louis co., Mo., 142 E. Jefferson City, 822 W.

Jefferson City, p-v., capital of Cole co., and of the state of Missouri, 936 w. Washington City. Situated on the s. bank of the Missouri r., on elevated and uneven ground, and contains a state house, a governor's house, which is large and elegant, a state penitentiary, an academy, several large mercantile establishments, and a fine steam saw m., 200 dwellings, and 1,174 inhabitants.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work