Johnstown, PA to Jykill Island, GA
Johnstown, p-b., Connemaugh t., Cambria co., Pa., 150 w.
Harrisburg, 176 W. Situated at the junction of Stony cr. with
Little Connemaugh r. It contains 200 acres of ground, is
regularly laid out with streets crossing each other at right
angles, and has 6 stores, 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 6 sch. 120
scholars. Pop. 1,213. The western division of the Pennsylvania
canal has a large basin in the centre of the v., where the
Portage railroad across the Alleghany mountain to Hollidaysburg
Johnstown, p-v., Monroe t, Licking co., O., 36 n. e. Columbus,
334 W. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 2 warehouses, 40
dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Johnstown, p-t., Barry co., Mich., 128 w. Detroit, 593 W. It has
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $500. 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 227.
Johnstown, p-o., Rock co., Wis., 53 s. e. Madison, 818 W.
Johnsville, p-o., Fishkill t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 86 s.
Albany, 290 W.
Johnsville, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 74 n. w. Annapolis, 59 W.
Johnsville, p-v., Dyer co., Tenn., 174 w. Nashville, 864 W.
Jolly, t., Washington co., O. It has 2 sch. 75 scholars. Pop.
Jonesburg, p-v., capital of Camden co., N. C. (See Camden C. H.)
Jones's Bluff, p-o., Sumter co., Ala., 59 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 877
Jones, County, N. C. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 330 sq. ms. The surface is level, and
much of it marshy. Watered by Trent r., with its branches, which
flows into Neuse r. Capital, Trenton. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 4,739, sheep 4,089, swine 15,951; wheat 5,204 bushels
produced, rye 1,184, Indian corn 223,520, oats 8,705, potatoes
36,529, rice 30,490 pounds, cotton 1,150,208; 2 stores, cap.
$8,000; 2 distilleries, 15 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$10,555. 4 sch. 81 scholars. Pop. whites 1,947, slaves 2,818,
free col'd 180; total, 4,945.
Jones, County, Ga. Situated in the central part
of the state, and contains 360 sq. miles. Ocmulgee r. runs on
its w. border. Cedar cr., with its branches, in the n., flows
into Oconee r. Falling cr., and Walnut cr., with their
tributaries, flow into the Ocmulgee river. Capital, Clinton.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,248, sheep 4,219, swine
19,853; wheat 23,778 bushels produced, Ind. corn 274,933, oats
18,755, potatoes 10,581, tobacco 18 pounds, cotton 2,754,565 ; 7
stores, cap. $33,336 ; 5 furnaces, 29 forges, 2 tanneries, 11
distilleries, 3 flouring m., 8 grist m., 9 saw m., 3 oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $8,340. 4 acad. 155 students, 7 sch. 211 scholars.
Pop. whites 4,417, slaves 5,619, free colored 29 ; total,
Jones, County, Miss. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 672 sq. ms. Drained by branches of
Leaf r. Capital, Ellisville. There were in 1340, neat cattle
7,329, sheep 623, swine 6,234; Ind. corn 24,880 bush, produced,
potatoes 9,080, rice 8,878 pounds, cotton 23,129. Pop. whites
1,194, slaves 164; total, 1,258.
Jones, County, Iowa. Situated a little n. of
the centre of the ter. and contains 576 sq. miles. Watered by
Wapsipinecon r., and Makoqueta r., and their branches. The
surface is gently undulating, having extensive prairies, and the
soil is fertile. Capital, Edinburg. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 609, sheep 65, swine 1,502; wheat 3,537 bush, produced,
Indian corn 14,856, oats 2,286, potatoes 7,333; 2 grist m., 2
saw in. Cap. in manufac. $4,300. Pop. 471.
Jones, t., Hancock co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $150; 1 grist
m. Cap. in manufac. $500. Pop. 460.
Jonesborough, p-t., Washington co., Me., 143 e. n. e. Augusta,
725 W. Situated at the head of Englishman's bay. Watered by
Chandler's r. Incorporated in 1809. It has 3 stores, cap.
$2,500; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. 4 sch. 176 scholars. Pop. 392.
Jonesborough, p-o., Brunswick co., Va., 99 s. by w. Richmond,
Jonesborough, p-v., Jefferson co., Ala., 43 n. e. Tuscaloosa,
Jonesborough, p-v., capital of Washington co., Tenn., 283 e.
Nashville, 412 W. Situated on Little Limestone cr., 1 mile from
its source, 19 ms. s. of the Holston r. It contains a court
house, jail, 1 Methodist and 1 Presbyterian church, 2 academies,
and about 900 inhabitants.
Jonesborough, p-o., Spencer co., Ia., 146 s. 8. w. Indianapolis,
Jonesborough, p-v., capital of Union co., Ill. It has a court
house, a brick jail, 2 places of worship, 7 stores, 1 carding
machine, and about 25 dwellings.
Jones's Creek, p-o., Liberty co., Ga.
Jones's Creek, p-o., Randolph co., Ill., 157 s. Springfield, 849
Jones's Cross Roads, p-o., Dickson co., Tenn., 40 w. Nashville,
Jonesport, p-t., Washington co., Me., 147 e. by n. Augusta, 730
W. It has Englishman's bay on the e., and Addison bay, with a
small r. entering it, on the w. It has a good harbor. It
contains 4 stores, cap. $3,500; 1 saw m., 4 sch. 250 scholars.
Jones's Tan Yard, p-o., Calloway co., Mo., 30 n. e. Jefferson
City, 909 W.
Jonestown, p-v., Lebanon co., Pa., 29 e. Harrisburg, 139 W.
Situated near the confluence of Great and Little Swatara creeks,
and contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Lutheran, and 1
German Reformed, several stores, and about 100 dwellings.
Jonesville, p-o., Clifton Park t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 21 n.
Albany, 391 W.
Jonesville, p-v., capital of Lee co., Va., 334 w. by s.
Richmond, 452 W. Situated on a branch of Powell's river. It
contains a handsome court house, jail, 1 church, free to all
denominations, 4 stores, and 200 inhabitants. The scenery around
is romantic and beautiful.
Jonesville, p-v., Surry co., N. C, 160 w. n. w. Raleigh, 364 W.
Jonesville, p-v., Union dist., S. C, 81 n. w. Columbia, 475 W.
Jonesville, p-v., Salem t., Monroe co., O., 129 e. Columbus, 285
Jonesville, p-V., Capital of Hillsdale co., Mich., 92 w. s. w.
Detroit, 540 W. Situated on the k. bank of St. Joseph r. of
Michigan Lake, and contains a court house, jail, 1 Presbyterian
Church, 8 stores, and 2 flouring m.
Jordan, p-v., Elbridge t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 152 w. by N.
Albany, 350 W. Situated on the Erie canal. Incorporated in 1835.
It contains 3 churches, 10 stores, 3 flouring m., 1 pump fac, 1
wooden ware fac, 1 sash fac, 1 clothier's works, I tannery, 175
dwellings, and about 1,200 inhabitants.
Jordan's Mills, p-o., Orangeburg dist., S. C, 113 s. Columbia,
Jordan's Prairie, p-o., Jefferson co., 111., 122 s. s. E.
Springfield, 784 W.
Josco, p-o., Livingston co., Mich., 61 w. by N. Detroit, 564 W.
Josephine, p-o., McLean county, Ill., 93 n. e. Springfield, 762
Joslin's Corners, p-o., Sullivan t., Madison co., N. Y., 125 w.
by n. Albany, 370 W.
Judsville, p-v., Surry co., N. C, 163 w. N. w. Raleigh, 369 W.
Juliet, p-v., capital of Will co., El., 165 n. e. by e.
Springfield, 742 W. Situated on both sides of Des Plaines r.,
affording good water power, at the crossing place of the
Illinois and Michigan canal. It contains 1 Episcopal and 1
Methodist church, 1 saw m., 1 grist m., and 6 or 700
inhabitants. The precinct contains 2 acad. 50 students, 7 sch.
210 scholars. Pop. 2,553.
Juliustown, p-v., Springfield t., Burlington co., N. J., 24 s.
Trenton, 164 W. It contains 2 stores, and about 30 dwellings,
Junction, p-o., Schagticoke t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 16 e.
Albany, 336 W.
Junction, p-o., Hanover co., Va., 24 n. Richmond, 93 W.
Juniata, County, Pa. Situated a little s. of
the centre of the state, and contains 360 sq. ms. Organized in
1831. Watered by Juniata r., and Licking and Tuscarora creeks.
The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, fertile in the
valleys. Capital, Mifflin. There were in 1840, neat cattle
11,080, sheep 12,023, swine 18,604; wheat 219,859 bush,
produced, rye 69,219, Indian corn 162,659, buckwheat 17,726,
barley 3,035, oats 156,072, potatoes 58,320; 33 stores, cap.
$112,600; 9 fulling m., 21 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 11
flouring m., 17 grist m., 52 saw m., 3 printing offices, 3
weekly newspapers. Capital in manufactures, $ 185,690. 2 acad.
33 students, 63 sch. 2,375 scholars. Pop. 11,080.
Juniata, r., Pa., one of the principal tributaries of the
Susquehanna River, is formed by the Raystown and Frankstown
branches, which rise at the foot of the Alleghany Mountains. It
unites with the Susquehanna r. 15 ms. above Harrisburg. The
Pennsylvania canal passes along the Juniata and its Frankstown
branch, to Hollidaysburg.
Juniata, p-t., Perry co., Pa., 39 w. N. w. Harrisburg, 131 W. It
contains Bloomfield v., the capital of the co. The surface
consists of mountain ridges and valleys. The soil is gravel,
slate, and calcareous loam, in the valleys. Watered by Racoon,
Buffalo, and Little Buffalo creeks. It has 3 stores, cap.
$4,800; 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 5 flouring m., 15 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $25,227. 11 sch. 440 scholars. Population,
Junius, p-t., Seneca co., N. Y., 8 n. Waterloo, 182 w. Albany,
352 W. The surface is various; soil, in some parts, fertile. It
has 1 store, cap. $5,000; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. 6
sch. 213 scholars. Pop. 1,594.
Junto, p-o., Orange co., N. C.,54 n. w. Raleigh, 278 W.
Jupiter, p-o., Madison co., Ark., 146 n. w. Little Rock, 1,211
Jykill, island and sound, Ga. Situated in the s. e. part of
Glynn co., at the mouth of Turtle and Scilla rivers.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!