Katskill Mountains to Kennebec River ME
Kaatsberg, or Katskill, mts. (See
Kaaterskill, N. Y., a stream which rises from 2 ponds, each half
a mile in circumference, and each half a mile in the rear of the
Mountain House., on Catskill mountain. 2 ms. w. of the house,
the stream has remarkable falls, first of '175 feet
perpendicularly, then 85 feet more, making the whole descent of
the cataract 260 feet. It then plunges into a dark and dreary
chasm, and pursuing its way to the valley below, enters Catskill
cr. near Catskill v.
Kalamazoo, r., Mich., rises in Hillsdale co., and after a
course, generally w. n. w., with many windings, of 200 ms., with
a direct course of not lover 90 ms., enters Lake Michigan, 41
ms. n. of St. Joseph r., and 29 ms. s. of Grand r. Its average
depth for 8 ms. from its mouth is 12 feet. It waters the
counties of Hillsdale, Calhoun, Kalamazoo, and Allegan. The bar
at its mouth has 6 or 7 feet at low water. It is navigable at
all times, ms., to Allegan, for boats of 50 tons. It affords,
with its tributaries, extensive water power.
Kalamazoo, County, Mich. Situated toward the s.
w. part of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Organized in
1830. Watered by Kalamazoo and Portage rivers, and Four Mile,
Gull, and Bear creeks. The surface is level, or gently
undulating. The soil is a very fertile black loam. Capital,
Kalamazoo. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,061, sheep 3,694,
swine 13,665; wheat 161,163 bush, produced, Ind. corn 125,023,
buckwheat 1,415, barley 5,979, oats 157,866, potatoes 71,355,
sugar 44,439 pounds; 20 stores, capital $78,300; 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 6 grist m., 22 saw m., 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. 19,440. 1
college, 70 students, 1 acad. 20 students, 50 schools, 1,739
scholars. Pop. 7,380.
Kalamazoo, p-t., capital of Kalamazoo co., Mich., 141 w.
Detroit, 605 W. The v. is situated on the w. bank of Kalamazoo
r. It has a court house, jail, the Huron Literary Institute, and
a branch of the University of Michigan, a branch of Michigan
bank, 1 Presbyterian Church, 8 stores, 1 flouring m. There are
in the t., 13 stores, cap. $38,300; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2
distilleries, 2 grist m., 5 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $12,900. 2 sch. 110 scholars. Pop.
Kalamo, t., Eaton co., Mich. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$500. Pop. 139.
Kalida, p-v., capital of Putnam co., O., 114 n. w. Columbus, 479
W. Situated on the e. bank of Ottowa r., 1½ m. from its junction
with Auglaize r. It contains a court house, jail, 3 stores, 25
dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Kanakanic, t., Milwaukee co., Wis. It has 1 sch. 9 scholars.
Kanawha, river, Va., rises in North Carolina, and, running n.
and n. w., falls into the Ohio, at Point Pleasant, 252 ms. below
Pittsburg. About 100 ms. from its mouth are the Great Falls,
where the r. descends perpendicularly 50 feet. On its banks, 66
ms. from its mouth, are Kanawha salt works, where the r. is 150
yards wide. The salt region extends 15 miles on the river, and
the salt now manufactured amounts to 1,500,000 bushels annually,
and may be indefinitely increased. The salt water is obtained by
boring through a formation of rock, from 300 to 500 feet deep,
and the water rises in copper or tin tubes, which exclude the
fresh water to the level of the surface of the r. along its
margin. It is then raised 40 feet, to the top of the bank, by
forcing pumps, moved by steam engines. The bituminous coal which
abounds in the vicinity is used for evaporating the water. These
works employ, in various ways, about 1,000 men, and the salt is
afforded at from 30 to 35 cents a bushel. Green Brier r. enters
the Kanawha 40 or 50 miles above the falls, just before it
passes the Iron Mountain. Its other principal branches are Elk
r. on the n., and Coal r. on the s.
Kanawha, County, Va. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 2,000 sq. ms. Watered by Kanawha river
and its tributaries, Elk r. and Coal r., and various creeks. It
contains coal in abundance, and valuable salt springs. Capital,
Charleston. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,690, sheep 3,810,
swine 7,944; wheat 14,539 bushels produced, Ind. corn 203,075,
oats 22,657, potatoes 7,686, sugar 7,490 pounds, salt 1,000,000
bush., bituminous coal 6,325,000; 29 stores, cap. $117,000; 2
flouring m., 13 grist m., 27 saw m., 9 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$49,600. 19 sch. 408 scholars. Pop. whites 10,910, slaves 2,560,
free col'd 97; total, 13,567.
Kanawha, C. H., p-v., capital of Kanawha co., Va., 313 w. n. w.
Richmond, 350 W. This place is also called Charleston. Situated
on the N. bank of Great Kanawha r., 60 miles above its mouth, in
the Ohio, at the junction of Elk r. Its main street extends a
mile on the Kanawha, and reaches to Elk r. It contains a court
house, jail, a branch of the bank of Virginia, a Masonic hall, 2
churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, a female academy, 13
stores, 2 steam saw m., 1 steam flouring m., 1 tannery, and
about 130 dwellings. The Kanawha is here 300 yds. wide and 20
feet deep, at low water, and is navigable by steamboats.
Kanawha Saline, p-v., Kanawha co., Va., 307 w. n. w. Richmond,
314 W. Situated on the N. w. side of Kanawha r., and contains a
Methodist and a Presbyterian church, 3 stores and about 25
dwellings. It is connected with the salt trade in the vicinity.
Kane, County, Ill. Situated in the n. e. part,
of the state, and contains 1,296 sq. ms. Watered by Fox river
and its branches, which afford water power. Formed from La Salle
County, in 1836. It is well timbered. Capital, Geneva. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 7,858, sheep 1,262, swine 17,279;
wheat 150,110 bushels produced, rye 1,363, Indian corn 151,310,
barley 5,980, oats 167,463, potatoes 77,372, sugar 1,400 pounds;
16 stores, cap. $60,746; 2 distilleries, 6 grist m., 22 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $113,910. 39 sch. 1,153 scholars. Pop. 6,501.
Kane, p-o., Greene co., Ill., 76 s. w. Springfield, 826 W.
Kankakee, r., Ill., one of the principal streams which form
Illinois River. Its source is in the n. part of la., and after
entering Illinois, it receives the Iroquois cr. from the s., and
it unites with the Des Plaines, at Dresden, below which the
united streams become the Illinois river.
Kankakee, p-o., La Salle co., Ill., 152 n. e. by n. Springfield,
755 W. Situated at the junction of Kankakee and Des Plaines rs.
It has 1 store, several saw m., and 4 or 5 houses. The situation
is low, and a part of it liable to be overflowed.
Kanotin, County, Mich. Situated on Lake Huron, n. of Saginaw
bay, and contains 570 sq. miles. Unorganized.
Kansas, r., Indian ter., rises between the Platte and the
Arkansas rivers, near the Rocky Mountains, and receiving several
large tributaries on the n. side, it passes through the Indian
ter. and enters the Missouri at the w. boundary of the state of
Mo. Its whole course is about 1,200 miles, for 900 of which it
is navigable. It is 340 yards wide at its mouth.
Kaposia, p-o., St. Croix co., Wis.
Karthaus, p-v., Covington t., Clearfield co., Pa., 114 n. w.
Harrisburg, 206 W. Situated on the n. bank of the West branch of
Susquehanna r. There are coal and iron works near the village,
and salt springs in the vicinity.
Kaseys, p-o., Bedford co., Va., 154 w. by s. Richmond, 229 W.
Kaskaskia, r., Ill., rises in Champaign County, and after a
course s. s. w. of 300 miles, enters the Mississippi, 7 miles
below Kaskaskia v. It is navigable, in high water, to Vandalia,
150 miles from its mouth.
Kaskaskia, p-v., capital of Randolph co., Ill, 142 s.
Springfield, 834 W. It is situated on the w. side of Kaskaskia
r., 7 miles from its junction with the Mississippi. It was
settled by the French about 1683, and, in 1763, when ceded to
Great Britain, it contained 100 families; it has now about 800
inhabitants, most of whom are of French descent. It has a brick
court house, a jail, a U. S. land office, a Roman Catholic
Church, a nunnery and female boarding school, 4 stores and 300
Katahdin, mt., Me., situated between the f. and w. branches of
Penobscot r., is 5,300 feet above tidewater. It is isolated and
steep, and can be seen from Bangor, 70 miles, in n. n. w.
direction. The view from the top is vastly extensive, and at
once beautiful and grand.
Kaukalin, p-v., Brown co., Wis., 148 n. n. I. Madison, 953 W.
Situated on the w. side of Fox or Neenah r., at the rapids of
the same name.
Kautawaubet, County, Mich., a northern county, and contains 576
sq. ms. Watered by Manistee r. and branches. Unorganized.
Kayaderosseras, mts., N. Y., extend about 60 miles, in Warren,
Saratoga, and Fulton counties, between Schroon branch of Hudson
r. and Lake George, generally from 8 to 1,200 feet high, but
subsiding toward the s. A creek of the same name flows from
these mountains s. E. into Saratoga lake, affording valuable
water power. .
Kaykakee, County, Mich., a central county, and contains 576 sq.
ms. Watered by Maskegon r. and a branch of Tittibawassee river.
Keasearge, mt., Salisbury t., Merrimac co., N. H., is 2,461 feet
above the level of the sea. It is 25 n. w. Concord.
Keating, t., McKean co., Pa. The surface is hilly and broken,
with extensive and rich alluvial bottoms. The Alleghany r. flows
through it, and receives Potatoe cr., nearly as large as itself.
It has 1 acad. 30 students, 4 sch. 135 scholars. Pop. 893.
Kearsly, p-t., Genesee co., Mich. Pop. 115.
Keelersville, p-v., Van Buren co. Mich., 175 w. Detroit, 636 W.
It has 1 store and several mechanics.
Keene, p-t., with Charlestown the capital of Cheshire County, N.
H., 80 w. N. w. Boston, 48 w. s. w. Concord, 424 W. The v. is
pleasantly situated on a plain, on the e. side of Ashuelot r.,
at a little distance from it. The principal street is a mile
long, with ample width, and ornamented with trees. The houses
are neat, and some of them elegant. It contains a court house,
jail, a bank, a Congregational church, a printing office. About
a mile from the v., a canal from the Ashuelot r. affords good
water power, on which are several mills and manufactories. There
are in the t., 25 stores, cap. $132,300; 1 furnace, 1 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 glass fac, 2 printing offices,
1 bindery, 2 weekly newspapers, 3 periodicals, 3 grist m., 7 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $98,262. 2 acad. 261 students, 13
sch. 695 scholars. Pop. 2,610.
Keene, p-t., Essex co., N. Y., 133 n. Albany, 1513 W. The
surface is mountainous, containing Mount Marcy, the highest peak
of the Adirondack range, 5,467 feet above tidewater in Hudson r.
Drained by branches of Ausable r., which afford very extensive
water power. It has several small lakes, celebrated for their
large trout. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 fulling m., 1 forge,
2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,620. 4 sch. 185 scholars. Pop. 730.
Keene, p-v., Jessamine County, Ky., 33 s. e. Frankfort, 531 W.
Keene, p-t., Coshocton co., O., 99 n. e. by e. Columbus, 344 W.
The v. was organized in 1820, and contains 2 churches, 3 stores,
and about 200 inhabitants. It has 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $900. 1 sch. 56 scholars. Pop. 1,043.
Keene, p-o., Hillsdale co., Mich.
Keeney's Settlement, p-o., Cortland co., N. Y., 134 w. Albany,
Keesville, p-v., Ausable and Chesterfield t., Clinton and Essex
cos., N. Y. Situated 4 w. Lake Champlain, on both sides of
Ausable river, which affords extensive water power. It contains
4 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist and 1 Roman
Catholic, an academy, bank, 18 stores, 1 forge, 1 rolling m., 1
nail fac, which produces 100 tons of nails annually, 1 woolen
fac, 2 flouring m., 4 saw m., 1 furnace and machine shop, 1
plaster m., 1 tannery, a printing office, 300 dwellings, and
about 2,000 inhabitants. Its growth has been exceedingly rapid.
Keepatau, p-o., Cook co., Ill., 178 n. e. by n. Springfield, 745
Keiths, p-o., Morgan co., O., 88 e. by s. Columbus, 318 W.
Keith's Mills, p-o., Franklin co., Me., 30 n. v. Augusta, 616 W.
Kellertown, p-v., Wilkinson co., Miss., 118 M. w. by s. Jackson,
Kelley's Mills, p-o., Lawrence co., O., 109 s. e. Columbus, 405
Kellogg's Store, p-o., Jackson co., Ga., 104 . by vv.
Milledgeville, 639 W.
Kelloggsville, p-v., Niles t., Cayuga co., N. Y. 153 w. Albany,
329 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian church, 2 stores, 40
dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Kelloggville, p-o., Monroe t., Ashtabula co., 222 n. E.
Columbus, 337 W.
Kelly, t., Union co., Pa., 9 n. New Berlin, the surface is
undulating; soil, calcareous loam. Drained by Buffalo cr. and
its branches. It has store, cap. $9,000; 1 flouring m., 1 saw m.
Cap. k manufac. $10,000. 5 sch. 200 scholars. Pop.
Kelly, t., Ottawa co., O., comprehends Cunningham's island in
Lake Erie. Pop. 68.
Kelly's Creek, p-o., St. Clair co., Ala., 101 N. e. by E.
Tuscaloosa, 753 W.
Kelly's Ferry, p-o., Meigs co., Tenn., 137 e. s. e. Nashville,
569 W. The ferry crosses the Tennessee r.
Kelly's Spring, p-o., Talladega co., Ala., 122 e. Tuscaloosa,
Kelso, p-o., Dearborn co., Ia., 84 s. e. Indianapolis, 531 W.
Kelso, t, Scott co., Mo. Pop. 476.
Kelvin Grove, p-o., Wake co., N. C, 10 n. Raleigh, 294 W.
Kemblesville, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 76 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 99
Kemper, County, Miss. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 750 sq. ms. Watered by Sookanitchie
r. and a branch of Oktibbeha r. Capital, De Kalb. There were in
1840, neat cattle 12,251, sheep 1,999, swine 20,814; wheat 7,855
bush, produced, Indian com 233,017, oats 10,441, potatoes
22,997, tobacco 1,646 pounds, cotton 3,926,565; 18 stores, cap.
$99,958; 8 cotton fac. 48 sp., 1 tannery, 3 flouring m., 13
grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $83,265. 4 acad. 133
students, 11 sch. 235 scholars. Pop. whites 4,612, slaves 3,040,
free col'd 11; total, 7,663.
Kemp's Creek, p-o., Benton co., Ala., 170 e. n. e. Tuscaloosa,
Kempsville, p-v., Princess Ann co., Va., 116 s. e. by e.
Richmond, 240 W. Situated on the e. branch of Elizabeth r., at
the head of tidewater. It contains 1 Baptist church, several
stores, 1 tannery, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Kenansville, p-v., capital of Duplin co., N.C., 89 s. e.
Raleigh, 319 W. Situated on the s. side of Grove cr., a branch
of Cape Fear r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.
Kendall, County, Ill. Situated in the n. e. part of the state,
and contains 324 sq. ms. Watered by Fox r. Surface undulating;
soil, fertile. Capital, Yorkville.
Kendall, p-t., Orleans co., N. Y., 249 w. by n. Albany, 398 W.
It is bounded n. by Lake Ontario. The surface is nearly level,
rising gently from the lake; soil, sandy and gravelly loam. It
has 2 stores, cap. $6,150; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$5,150. 14 sch. 664 scholars. Pop. 1,692.
Kendall, p-o., Logan co., O., 79 n. w. by w. Columbus, 466 W.
Kendall, p-v., Van Buren co., Mich., 167 w. Detroit, 613 W.
Kendall, p-o., Beaver co., Pa., 238 w. by n. Harrisburg, 260 W.
Kendall, p-o., Marshall co., Va.
Kendall, p-o., Alien co., Ia., 137 n. e. by n. Indianapolis, 549
Kendall, p-o., Clay co., Mo., 164 w. n. w. Jefferson City, 1,069
Kendall Creek, p-o., McKean co., Pa.
Kendall's Mills, p-o., Somerset co., Me.
Kendall's Store, p-o., Montgomery co., N. C, 143 w. s. w.
Raleigh, 330 W.
Kendallville, p-v., Noble co., Ia., 159 n. n. e. Indianapolis,
Kennebec, r., Me., next to the Penobscot the most important
river in the state, has its principal source in the outlet of
Moosehead lake; but' 20 ms. below it receives Dead r., which is
a longer branch, and rises within 5 ms. of the Chaudiere, which
flows into the St. Lawrence. Its general course is s. by e.,
with several considerable curves. Its course from its remotest
source is about 200 ms. Its largest tributary is the
Androscoggin, which enters it from the w. 18 ms. from the ocean.
It is navigable for large ships 12 ms. to Bath, for sloops of
150 tons 40 ms. to Hallowell, and for sloops 2 ms. further to
Augusta, the head of tidewater, and for boats to Waterville, 18
ms. above Augusta. It has important falls at Waterville, and at
3 other places above, affording great water power. There are
bridges at Augusta, at Canaan, and at Norridgewock. It is
generally closed with ice 4 months in the year at Hallowell, but
usually open at all seasons below Bath. The most important towns
on the river are Bath, Hallowell, Augusta, Waterville, and
Norridgewock. It flows through a fertile country, and is the
medium of an extensive trade.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!