Kennebec County, ME to Killingly, CT
Kennebec, County, Me. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 1,050 sq. miles. Kennebec r.
runs through the center of the co. It has many small lakes and
ponds, the outlets of which, with the Kennebec, afford extensive
water power. It possesses great facilities for commerce. The
surface is undulating, and the soil fertile. Capital, Augusta.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 35,595, sheep 82,759, swine
11,825; wheat 86,514 bush. produced, rye 9,830, Ind. corn
154,049, buckwheat 3,510, barley 57,057, oats 132,583, potatoes
1,165,399, sugar 18,915 lbs.; 235 stores, cap. $486,450; 3
lumber yards, cap. $8,000. 1 furnace, 19 fulling m., 3 woolen
fac, 43 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 55 grist m., 131 saw
m., 4 oil m., 3 paper fac, 7 printing offices, 4 binderies, 1
periodical, 6 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $616,886. 2
colleges, 5 students, 12 acad. 1,311 students, 334 schools
17,163 scholars. Pop. 55,823.
Kennebunk, p-t., and port of entry, York
co.. Me., 75 s. s. w. Augusta, 517 W. Situated on the s. w. side
of Kennebunk r., at its entrance into the Atlantic, which
affords a good harbor. It has considerable shipping employed in
the coasting trade and the fisheries. It has 17 stores, cap.
$31,150; 1 cotton fac. 1,064 sp., 3 tanneries, 1 printing
office, 1 weekly paper, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$92,495. 2 acad. 175 students, 11 sch. 835 scholars. Pop. 2,323.
Kennebunkport, p-t., York co., Me., 78 s. s. w. Augusta, 520 W.
Situated on the n. e. side of Kennebunk r., opposite to
Kennebunk, with which its trade is united. It has 11 stores,
cap. $25,000; 2 furnaces, 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 4 grist m.,
4 saw m. Cap. in manufac v $l 1,500. 1 acad. 30 students, 13
sch. 1,150 scholars. Pop. 2,768.
Kennedy's, p-o., Brunswick co., Va., 91 s. by w. Augusta, 207 W.
Kennedysville, p-v., Bath t., Steuben co., N. Y., 223 w. by s.
Albany, 303 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Christian
church, 2 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 saw m., 30 dwellings, and
about 200 inhabitants.
Kennet, t., Chester co., Pa., 28 s. w. Philadelphia. The surface
is hilly; soil, a fertile calcareous loam, well cultivated.
Drained by Red Clay cr. It has 4 stores, cap. $15,500; 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Capital in manufac. $12,550. 6
sch. 238 scholars. Pop. 1,220.
Kennet Square, p-v., Kennet t., Chester co., Pa., 74 E. s. e.
Harrisburg, 105 W. Situated in the n. w. corner of Kennet t.,
and contains 1 Friends church, 1 store, and 15 or 20 dwellings.
Kennonsville, p-v., Lewis co., Mo., 128 n. by E. Jefferson city,
Kensington, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 41 s. E. Concord, 478
W. The surface is nearly level. Formed from Hampton in 1837. It
has 2 stores, cap. $1,600; 2 grist m., 1 saw m., 3 sch. 160
scholars. Pop. 665.
Kensington, p-v., Berlin t., Hartford co., Ct., 13 s. s. w.
Hartford, 323 W.
Kensington, p-t., Philadelphia co., Pa., 100 e. by s.
Harrisburg, 140 W. It constitutes a suburb of Philadelphia, in
the n. e. part, along the Delaware r.; and though it has a
separate government, under 15 commissioners, should be regarded
as a part of the city. It contains various manufacturing
establishments of cotton, woolen, iron, and glass, and
considerable ship building. There were in 1840, 1 commission
house, and 152 stores, capital $107,900; 7 lumber yards, capital
$116,500; 9 woolen fac, 15 cotton fac 700 sp., 3 tanneries, 1
brewery, 1 glass fac, 4 rope fac. Cap. in manufac. $721,600. 6
acad. 676 students, 5 sch. 674 scholars. Pop. 22,314. (See
Kensington, p-v., Lyon t., Oakland co., Mich., 35 w. by n.
Detroit, 544 W. It has 2 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., and
about 30 dwellings, some of which are neat and elegant.
Kent, County, R. I. Situated in the center of
the state, and contains 186 sq. ms. The surface is uneven and
rough; soil, gravelly and sandy loam, adapted to grazing.
Drained by Pawtuxet and Flat rs., which afford water power. It
has flourishing manufactures, and some commerce. Capital, East
Greenwich. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,398, sheep 10,408,
swine 4,221; wheat 494 bush, produced, rye 6,066, Ind. corn
64,112, barley 3,805, oats 11,915, potatoes 136,644; 103 stores,
capital $179,610; 5 lumber yards, capital $11,200; 9 fulling m.,
5 woolen fac, 45 cotton fac. 100,010 sp., 2 tanneries, 2 rope
fac, 27 grist m., 25 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,661,500. 6 acad.
250 students, 64 sch. 1,974 scholars. Pop. 13,083.
Kent, County, Del. Situated in the center of
the state, and contains 640 sq. ms. Delaware bay bounds it on
the e. Drained by Jones, Little Duck, and Mother Kill crs. The
surface is gently uneven, and the soil fertile. Capital, Dover
There were in 1840, neat cattle 17,477, sheep 13,780, swine
27,080; wheat 85,342 bush, produced, rye 21,745, lnd. corn
626,835, buckwheat 3,680, oats 294,231, potatoes 68,375; 66
stores, cap. $207,640; 9 lumber yards, cap. $10,500; 1 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 20 grist m.. 16 saw m., 1 pruning
office, 1 periodical. Cap. in manufac $106,000. 2 acad. 65
students, 46 sch. 2,997 scholars. Pop. whites 13,618, slaves
427, free col'd 5,827; total, 19,872.
Kent, Comity, Md. Situated toward the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 240 sq ms. Drained by Chester r.
The surface is moderately uneven; soil, various. Capital,
Chester. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,498. sheep 9,109,
swine 14,921; wheat 133,147 bush, produced, rye 3,250, Ind. corn
502,439, buckwheat 1,118, oats 277,393, potatoes 33,563; 270
stores, cap. $62,040; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 7 flouring m.,
13 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $28,370. 3 colleges, 80
students, 1 acad. 18 students, 14 sch. 474 scholars. Pop. whites
5.616, slaves 2,735, free col'd 2,491; total, 10,842.
Kent, County, Mich. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Drained by Grand r. and its
tributaries, which afford good water power. The surface is
undulating or hilly; soil, deep vegetable loam, and fertile.
Limestone and salt springs are found. Capital, Kent, or Grand
Rapids. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,271, sheep 222, swine
2,460; wheat 18,750 bush, produced, Ind. corn 13,320, oats
17,320, potatoes 16,700, sugar 5,080 pounds; 2 com. houses, cap.
$13,000; 12 stores, cap. $35,000: 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 2
flouring m., 1 grist m., 18 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper Cap. in manufac $140,600. 9 sch. 303 scholars Pop.
Kent, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 51 w. Hartford, 323 W. Situated
on both sides of Housatonic r., by which, and its branches, it
is watered, and which afford good water power. The surface is
mountainous, and the soil, in the mountains, gravelly and hard;
in the valleys, a calcareous loam, and fertile. An extensive bed
of iron ore is here found. Incorporated in 1739. It contains 3
churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist. The v.
is on the e. side of the Housatonic, which is here crossed by a
bridge. The Housatonic railroad passes through the t. on the E.
side of the r. It has 6 stores, cap. $14,500; 3 furnaces, 2
forges, 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $5,550. 12 sch. 475 scholars. Pop. 1,759.
Kent, p-t., Putnam co., N. Y. 99 s. Albany, 292 W. The surface
is hilly and mountainous; soil, well adapted to grazing. Drained
by the head waters of Croton r. It has 6 stores, cap. $9,850; 2
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m.,
4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 830,200; 10 sch. 480 scholars. Pop.
Kent, p-o., Indiana co., Pa., 165 w. by n. Harrisburg, 218 W.
Kent, p-t., Kent co., Mich., 168 w. n. w. Detroit, 649 W.
Kent's Hill, p-o., Kennebec co., 3Ie., 14 Augusta, 604 W.
Kenton, County, Ky. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 150 sq. ms. It is bounded n. by the Ohio
r., and e. by Licking r. Surface undulating, soil fertile.
Capital, Independence. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,529,
sheep 7,523, swine 13,774; wheat, 53,987 bush, produced, rye
4,738, Ind. com 294,635, oats 28,989, potatoes 10,823, tobacco
601,774 pounds, sugar 5,589; 33 stores, cap. §76,825; 2 lumber
yards, cap. $15,000; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 cotton fac. 2,332
sp., 2 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 14 grist m., 4 saw m., 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$176,050. 15 sch. 354 scholars. Pop. whites 7,033, slaves 751,
free col'd 34; total, 7,816.
Kenton, p-t., capital of Hardin co.. O., 71 N. w. Columbus, 442
W. The v. is situated on the n. side of Scioto r. It contains 6
churches, 1 Lutheran, 1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Seceder, 1
Associate Reformed, 1 of Disciples, 4 stores and 75 dwellings, 3
sch. 109 scholars. Pop. 299.
Kentontown, p-v., Harrison co., Ky., 53 N. E. Frankfort, 489 W.
Situated in the n. e. corner of the county.
Kentucky, State of
Kentucky, r., Ky., from which the state
derives its name, rises by 3 principal branches in the
Cumberland mountains, denominated the North, Middle and South
Forks, which unite in Estill co. From this point is pursues a
circuitous course, in its lower parts, generally n. n. w., until
it enters Ohio r. at Carrollton. The distance from the mouth to
the forks, is 260 ms. by the course of the r.; but is only 112
ms. in a direct line. Steamboats of 300 tons formerly navigated
this r. to Frankfort, in time of high water. But the navigation
from the mouth to the forks of the r. has been improved by the
construction of 17 dams, creating pools, and 17 locks,
connecting them. The dams are from 350 to 500 feet long, and
from 20 to 25 feet high, and the locks are 178 feet long, and 33
feet wide, and the least depth through the whole course is 6
feet, so that boats of a less draft than this, can navigate it
at all times. The difference of level overcome by the locks is
210 feet. The estimated cost of the whole is $2,297,409.
Kentuckyville, p-v., Susquehannah co.,
Pa., 174 N. e. by N. Harrisburg, 278 W.
Keokuck, p-v., Lee co., Iowa. Situated on the w. side of
Mississippi r., at the foot of the lower rapids. It is laid out
on a mile square, and has about 150 or 200 inhabitants.
Kepner's, p-o., Schuylkill co., Pa., 73 n. e. Harrisburg, 183 W.
Kernersville, p-o., Stokes co., N. C, 98 w. N. w. Raleigh, 309
Kern's Mills, p-o., Lehigh co., Pa., 88 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 181
Kernsville, p-v., Moore t., Northampton co., Pa., 105 e. n. e.
Harrisburg, 198 W. It has 1store, a grist m., a tannery, and 4
or 5 dwellings.
Kersey's, p-o., Clearfield co., Pa Harrisburg, 242 W.
Kershaw, District, S. C. Situated a little n.
e. of the centre of the state, and contains 792 sq. ms. Drained
by Wateree r. and its branches, and by Lynch and Little Lynch
creeks and branches. The river lands are remarkable for their
fertility; the uplands are sandy, but fertile when cultivated.
Capital, Camden. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,194, sheep
15,984, swine 2,004: wheat 4,714 bush, produced, Ind. corn
160,300, oats 11,525, potatoes 10,080, cotton 14,475 pounds; 29
stores, cap. $21,600; 1 cotton fac. 120 sp., 4 tanneries, 8
flouring m., 34 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $123,700. 3 acad. 127 students, 13
sch. 304 scholars. Pop. whites 3,988, slaves 8,043, free col'd
250; total, 12,281.
Keskkauko, county, Mich., in the n. part of the state, and e.
side of Lake Michigan, and Little Traverse bay.
Ketcham's Corners, p-o., Stillwater t., Saratoga co., N. Y.
Ketch's Mills, p-o., Hartford co., Ct., 14 Hartford, 350 W.
Kewaunee, p-v., Milwaukee co., Wis., 72 E. Madison, 813 W.
Keyport, p-v., Middletown t., Monmouth co., N. J. 46 e. by n.
Trenton, 813 W.
Keysburg, p-v., Logan co., Ky., 194 s. w. Frankfort, 721 W.
Keysburg, p-v., Pike co., Ill., 77 w. by Springfield, 857 W.
Keyserville, p-o., Livingston co., N. Y.
Keysville, p-v., Charlotte co., Va., 93 s. w. by w. Richmond,
Keytesville, p-v., capital of Chariton co., Mo., 91 n. w.
Jefferson city, 985 W. Situated 2 ms. w. of the Grand Chariton
r., and 15 ms. n. from its entrance into the Missouri r. It has
a court house, jail, and 200 inhabitants.
Key West, p-v., capital of Monroe co., Flor. Situated on the n.
w. end of an island of the same name, otherwise called
Thompson's island, 4 ms. long and 1 wide, one of the Florida
Keys. It has a fine harbor, admitting vessels requiring 27 feet
of water, and capable of being well fortified. It may become the
key to the Gulf of Mexico, as the passage here is safer and 90
ms. nearer than round the Tortugas, and has 9 feet of water. It
was incorporated in 1829, and contains a court house, jail, 1
Episcopal Church, 22 stores and groceries, 2 large warehouses,
110 dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants. It is finely situated
for a naval station. It has a light house. Sixteen or 17,000
bushels of salt are manufactured annually by solar evaporation.
The thermometer ranges from 50° to 90° of Fahrenheit. The whole
island lies on a bed of limestone, about 1 foot beneath the
surface. Wells are dug into the rock, to the level of the sea,
which afford fresh water, but rain water is chiefly used. The
inhabitants are principally employed as "wreckers.'' About 15
vessels are wrecked annually, on the Florida reef, and these
persons are employed in saving the property, and receive, on an
average, about $77,000 annually.
Kezar Falls, p-o., York co., Me., 80 s. w. Augusta, 547 W.
Kiamishi, r., Indian ter., rises in Arkansas, and enters Red r.
6 ms. below Fort Towson.
Kidron, p-v., Coweta co., Ga., 96 w. by w. Milledgeville, 700 W.
Kidron, p-v., Cherokee nation, Indian ter. (See Dwight.)
Kilbourn, p-o., Delaware co., O., 29 n. Columbus, 413 W.
Kilgore, p-o., Carroll co., O., 118 e. n. e. Columbus, 289 W.
Kilkenny, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 106 n. Concord, 575 W.
Chartered in 1744, but being a mountainous region, with little
land that invites cultivation, it has been little settled. The
wild animals of the forest hold the chief possession. It has 1
sch. 10 scholars. Pop. 19.
Killbuck, p-o., Great Valley t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y.
Killbuck, p-t., Holmes co., O., 80 n. e. Columbus, 350 W.
Situated on Killbuck cr. It has 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,235. Pop. 910.
Killiam's Mills, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 177 w. by s. Raleigh,
Killingly, p-t., Windham co., Ct., 47 E. Harford, 378 W. The
surface is uneven and much, but the soil on the streams is
fertile, and otherwise adapted to grazing. Watered by Quinnebang
r. and its branches, which afford extensive water power. It has
3 fine villages all in sight of each other. The t. was chartered
in 1709. It has 22 stores, cap. $56,100; 1 furnace, 1 woolen
fac., 16 cotton fac. 21,998 sp., 1 tannery, 8 grist m., 11 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $404,950. 1 acad. 100 students, 20 sch. 996
scholars. Pop. 3,685.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!