Knox County, KY to Kyserick, NY
Knox, County. Ky. Situated in the s. E. part of
the state, and contains 495 sq. ms. Watered by Cumberland r.,
which passes through the centre, and its branches. Capital.
Barbourville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,384, sheep
5,718, swine 17,911; wheat 7,873 bush, produced, rye 2,530, Ind.
corn 263,141, oats 56,231, potatoes 11,176, tobacco 9,355
pounds, cotton 3,618, sugar 10,056; 9 stores, cap. $22,900; 1
tannery, 26 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 7 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $22,526. 3 sch. 76 scholars. Pop. whites 5,022,
slaves 536, free col'd 164; total, 5,722.
Knox, County, O. Situated near the centre of
the state, and contains 618 sq. ms. It is uneven on the E.,
level on the w. The soil in the e. is moderately good; in the w.
a rich vegetable mold. Watered by Vernon r. and its tributaries,
which afford abundant water power. Capital. Mount Vernon. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 27,772, sheep 56,799, swine 44,421;
wheat 521,217 bush, produced, rye 14,895, Ind. corn 518.295,
buckwheat 23,576, barley 1,052, oats 439,069, potatoes 80,027,
tobacco 1 19,459 pounds, sugar 233,284; 56 stores, cap.
$117,450; 3 fulling m., 20 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 1 brewery,
1 pottery, 4 flouring m., 33 grist m., 57 saw m., 29 oil m., 3
printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$232,925. 1 college, 130 students, 2 acad. 57 students, 162 sch.
6,097 scholars. Pop. 29,579.
Knox, County, la. Situated toward the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 540 sq. ms. Organized in 1802.
Wabash r. runs on its w. border, White r. on its s. border, and
the w. fork of White r. on its e. border. The surface is covered
with timber and prairie, mostly with the former. The soil is
very productive. Capital, Vincennes. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 11,806, sheep 10,106, swine 35,295; wheat 51,679 bush,
produced, rye 601, Ind. corn 668,283, oats 124,216, potatoes
16,654, tobacco 22,113 pounds, sugar 37,601; 49 stores, cap.
$228,800; 1 cotton fac. 1,056 sp., 6 tanneries, 2 distilleries,
1 brewery, 2 potteries, 2 flouring m., 10 grist m., 16 saw m., 1
oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $92,748. 3 acad. 108 students, 28 sch. 829 scholars.
Knox, County, Ill. Situated toward the w. w.
part of the state, and contains 792 sq. ms. Organized in 1830,
but formed in 1825. Watered by Henderson and Spoon Rivers, and
their tributaries. There are extensive prairies, with timber on
the streams; soil, fertile. Capital, Knoxville. There were in
1840, neat cattle 7,5S6, sheep 6,907, swine 28,854; wheat 65,078
bush, produced, Ind. corn 386,797, oats 123,910, potatoes
29,762; 16 stores, cap. $78,000; 4 distilleries, 2 flouring m.,
4 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $38,400. 1 college, 1
acad. 75 students, 18 sch. 489 scholars. Pop. 7,060.
Knox, p-t., Waldo co., Me., 35 n. e. by e. Augusta, 630 W. The
soil is fertile and well cultivated. Incorporated in 1819. Cap.
in manufac. $1,250. Pop. 897.
Knox, p-t., Albany co., N. Y., 21 w. Albany, 391 W. The surface
is hilly and rough; soil, generally fertile. Drained by Bozra
kill and a tributary of Foxes cr. The v., called Knoxville,
contains 1 Presbyterian Church, an academy, 2 stores, 1 tannery,
25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. There are in the t., 6
stores, capital $10,800; 4 tanneries, 1 grist m., 18 saw ra.
Cap. in manufac. $8,575. 1 acad. 21 students, 13 sen. 686
scholars. Pop. 2,143.
Knox, p-o., Middlebury t., Knox co., O., 62 n. n. E. Columbus,
Knox, t., Columbiana co., O. Watered by the head branches of
Knox, t., Guernsey co., O. Pop. 538.
Knox, t., Holmes co., O. It has 9 stores, cap. $71,630: 2
fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,075. 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 1,180.
Knox, t., Jefferson co., O. Pop. 1,529.
Knox Centre, p-o., Knox t., Waldo county, Me,
Knoxville, p-o., Tioga co., Pa., 162 x. Harrisburg, 276 W.
Knoxville, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 91 n. w Annapolis, 59 W.
Knoxville, p-v., Knox t., Jefferson co., 0., 141 e. by n.
Columbus, 275 W. Situated 4 m. from Ohio r., and contains 1
church, 4 stores. 1 stone flouring m., 40 dwellings, and 200
Knoxville, p-v., capital of Crawford co., Ga., 55 s. w. by w.
Milledgeville, 711 W. Situated 4 ms. e. Flint r. It has a court
house, jail, an academy, and 20 dwellings.
Knoxville, p-o., Greene co., Ala., 26 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 844 W.
Knoxville, p-v., city, and capital of Knox co., Tenn., 183 e. by
s. Nashville, 498 W. Situated on the n. bank of Holston r., 4
ms. below the junction of French Broad r., at the head of
steamboat navigation. It contains a fine court house, a jail, 3
churches, 2 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, 2 academies, 1 male
and 1 female, 5 wholesale and 9 retail stores, about 200
dwellings, and 1,500 inhabitants. The place is regularly laid
out, and handsomely built. Much of the Hiwassee railroad,
extending from this place through Athens and Augusta to
Charleston, S. C, is graded. East Tennessee College is located
here was founded in 1807, has a president and 4 professors or
other instructors, 56 students, and 3,307 vols, in its
libraries. Including a primary department, it has generally from
130 to 150 students. The commencement is on the first Wednesday
Knoxville, p-v., Knox co., Ia., 138 s. w. Indianapolis, 708 W.
Knoxville, p-v., capital of Knox co., Ill., 106 w. n. w.
Springfield, 829 W. Situated on an elevated and rich prairie,
near Haw cr. Organized in 1832, and contains a courthouse, 40
dwellings and 250 inhabitants.
Knoxville, p-v., Ray co., Mo., 156 w. W. w Jefferson city, 1,059
Kortright, p-t., Delaware co., N. Y., 15 n Delhi, 69 w. s. w.
Albany. 365 W. The surface is hilly or mountainous; soil,
fertile loam, adapted to grass. Drained by Delaware r. and its
tributaries. It has 3 stores, cap. $15,000; 2 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 3 grist in., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,500. 17
sch. 695 scholars. Pop. 2,441.
Kosciusko, County, Ia. Situated toward the N.
part of the state, and contains 567 sq. ms. The surface is
undulating; soil, fertile. Watered by Tippecanoe r. and other
streams, which afford water power. Capital, Warsaw. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 5,037, sheep 2,923, swine 11,830; wheat
30,600 bush, produced, Ind. corn 146,161, oats 38,445, potatoes
21,955, tobacco 1,569 pounds, sugar 68,945; 13 stores, capital
$26,100; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 4 grist m., 10 saw ni. Cap. in
manufac. $17,781. 6 sch. 216 scholars. Pop. 4,170.
Kosciusko, p-v., capital of Attala co., Miss., 67 n. e. Jackson,
958 W. Situated on the w. side of the Yockonockony River. It
contains a Baptist church, an academy, and several dwellings.
Koskonong, p-o., Jefferson co., Wis., 48 e. by s. Madison, 822
Kreidersville, p-v., Northampton co., Pa., 103 e. n. e.
Harrisburg, 196 W. Situated on Hockendocque cr., and has 1
store, a grist m., several dwellings, and a Lutheran church in
Kuler, t., Van Buren co., Mich. It has 2 sch. 12 scholars. Pop.
Kulpsville, p-o., Montgomery co., Pa., 95 e. Harrisburg, 165 W.
Kutztown, p-b., Maxatawny t., Berks co., Pa., 69 e. Harrisburg,
161 W. Situated on a branch of Maiden cr., and has 1 church,
common to Lutherans and German Reformed, several stores, and 125
dwellings. Pop. 693.
Kyger, p-o., Gallia co., O., 98 s. s. e. Columbus, 353 W.
Kyserick, p-o., Rochester t., Ulster co., N. Y., 71 s. s. e.
Albany, 311 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!