La Moine, IL to Laurel Grove, VA
La Moine, p-o., McDonough co., Ill., 97 n. w. Springfield, 873
Lampeter, t., Lancaster co., Pa. Pecquea cr. flows on its s. E.,
and Conestoga r. on its n. w. boundary. Drained by Mill creek, a
branch of Conestoga r. It has 9 stores, cap. $22,400; 3
commission houses, cap. $4,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3
tanneries, 8 distilleries, 7 saw ra. Cap. in manufac. $49,647.
13 sch. 669 scholars. Pop. 3,269.
Lampeter Square, p-v., Lampeter t., Lancaster co., Pa., 43 s. e.
Harrisburg, 117 W. It contains a store and 12 dwellings.
Lamprey, r., N. H., flows through Great bay into the Piscataqua
Lancaster, County, Pa. Situated toward the s.
E. part of the state, and contains 928 sq. miles. It was the 4th
co. established in the state, and is perhaps the richest.
Susquehanna River washes its s. w. border for more than 40
miles. Watered by Conestoga, Pecquea, Conewango, and other
creeks, which flow into the Susquehanna, and afford excellent
water power. Iron ore and sulphate of magnesia, or epsom salts,
are found. Capital, Lancaster. There were in 1840, neat cattle
61,164, sheep 41,967, swine 75,026; wheat 1,129,277 bushels
produced, Indian corn 1,307,000, buckwheat 12,073, oats
1,376,673, rye 448,710, potatoes, 223,860, tobacco 48,860
pounds; 66 stores, cap. $1,146,085; 2 lumber yards, cap.
$207,000; 12 lulling m., 10 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 2,000 sp.,
57 tanneries, 102 distilleries, 8 breweries, 8 potteries, 9
printing offices, 9 weekly newspapers, 128 flouring m., 135
grist m., 106 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $1,213,484. 4
acad. 218 students, 206 sch. 6,745 scholars. Pop. 84,203.
Lancaster, County, Va. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 161 square miles. Chesapeake Bay and
Potomac r. lie on its e. and n. e. border. Capital, Heathville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,084, sheep 2,099, swine 7,594;
wheat 25,750 bush, produced, oats 43,866, potatoes 7,172, cotton
10,272 lbs.; 10 stores, cap. $30,500; 1 tannery, 7 grist m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. 7 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. whites
1,903, slaves 2,478, free col'd 247; total, 4,628.
Lancaster, District, S. C. Situated in the n.
part of the state, and contains 524 square miles. Lynche's cr.
runs on its e., and Catawba r. on its w. border, by branches of
which it is watered. Capital, Lancaster. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 10,943, sheep 6,165, swine 15,915; wheat 23,910
bushels produced, Ind. corn 308,832, oats 26,371, potatoes
13,793, cotton 2,647,676 pounds; 18 stores, cap. $60,000; 2
flouring m., 9 grist m., 8 saw m., 19 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$10,970. 1 acad. 6 students, 17 sch. 446 scholars. Pop. whites
5,565, slaves 4,235, free col'd 107; total, 9,907.
Lancaster, p-t., capital of Coos co., N. H., 101 N. by w.
Concord, 562 W. Connecticut r. runs on its n. w. border. Watered
by Israel's river and its branches, which afford water power.
The surface is hilly, but not mountainous; soil, fertile,
particularly on the streams. The v. is situated on Israel's r.,
1 ra. from its entrance into Connecticut r., and contains a
court house, jail, a Congregational church, and an acad. A
bridge here crosses the r., and another bridge crosses
Connecticut r. to Guildhall. It has 6 stores, cap. $14,000; 1
fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,200. 1 acad. 120
students, 11 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,316.
Lancaster, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 36 w. by n. Boston, 416
W. Situated on both sides of Nashua r., along which is a fertile
alluvial soil. The village is situated on Nashua r., where its 2
branches meet, and contains a Unitarian church, an academy, a
bank, and about 75 dwellings. Incorporated in 1653. The t. has 4
stores, cap $13,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac.
256 sp., 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 bindery, 4 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $17,830. 1 acad. 6 students, 12
sch. 525 scholars Pop. 2,019.
Lancaster, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 280 w. Albany, 397 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, clay, and calcareous loam. Drained
by Ellicott's, Cayuga, and Seneca creeks. The v. is on Cayuga
cr., and contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1
Lutheran, and 1 Roman Catholic, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m.,
1 clothier's works, 90 dwellings, and about. 600 inhabitants.
There are in the t., 4 stores, cap. $5,700; 2 fulling m., 1
tannery, 3 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac $11,500. 9 sch.
390 scholars. Pop. 2,083.
Lancaster, city, and capital of Lancaster co., Pa., and formerly
capital of the state, is situated H w. of Conestoga cr., which
falls into the Susquehanna, 9 s. s. w. of the city. It is in 44°
2' 36" n. lat., and 76° 20' 33" w. Ion.; 37 e. s. e. Harrisburg,
62 w. Philadelphia, 111 w. Pop. 1820, 6,663; 1830, 7,704; 1840,
8,417. It is regularly laid out with wide streets, crossing each
other at right angles. The streets are well paved and kept in a
neat condition. Some of the buildings are low, having only one
story, built by the early German settlers, but the houses more
recently built are spacious and commodious, and many of them
elegant. Franklin College was established here in 1787, chiefly
by Germans, and was liberally endowed, but it has declined to t
mere grammar school. The Lancaster County Academy was
incorporated in 1827, and received a grant of $3,000. There are
in the city, a Lancasterian school, 2 public libraries, a
reading room, and several other institutions of a literary
character. It has a court house and 11 churches, 2 Lutheran, 1
German Reformed, 1 Episcopal, 1 Moravian, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Methodist, 1 Independent Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1
African. It is surrounded by a very fertile, highly cultivated,
and populous country. The great western turnpike from
Philadelphia to Pittsburg, and the Philadelphia and Columbia
railroad, pass through the city. Its commerce and manufactures
are considerable. There were in 1840, 2 commission houses
engaged in foreign trade, cap. $33,000; 32 stores, cap.
$242,750; 3 lumber yards, cap. $16,000; 3furnac.es; machinery
manufactured, value $12,500; 2 tanneries, 13 distilleries, 4
breweries, 4 potteries, 2 ropewalks, 5 printing offices, 3
binderies, 6 weekly newspapers. Capital in manufac. $223,439. 2
acad. 64 students, 12 sch. 1,715 scholars. Pop. 8,417. In
addition, in the t., are 1 cotton fac. 2,000 sp., 5
distilleries, 3 flouring m., 3 grist m., and 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $90,000. 3 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 809.
Lancaster, p-v., Hocking t., capital of Fairfield co., O., 30 s.
E. Columbus, 375 W. Situated near the source of Hockhocking r.
The streets are wide, crossing each other at right angles. It
contains a court house, jail, a bank, town hall, market, 7
churches, 16 stores, 2 flouring m., 1 woolen fac, 1 foundry, 2
breweries, numerous mechanics, 2 printing offices, 400
dwellings, many of them elegant, and 3,272 inhabitants. A
lateral canal, 12 ms. long, connects I this place with the Ohio
Lancaster, p-v., capital of Garrard co., Ky., 57 s. by B.
Frankfort, 5o5 W. Situated a few ms. E. of Dick's r. It contains
a court house, jail, several stores and dwellings.
Lancaster, p-v., Smith co., Tenn., 61 s. e. Nashville, 644 VV.
Situated on the vv. side of the Cany fork of Cumberland r.
Lancaster, p-v., Jefferson co., Ia., 74 s. s. e. Indianapolis,
Lancaster, p-v., Morgan co., Ill., 24 s. w. Springfield, 804 W.
Lancaster, p-v., capital of Grant co., Wis., 96 w. s. w.
Madison, 923 W. It has a court house and several dwellings.
Lancaster, C. H., p-v., capital of Lancaster co., Va., 83 E. by
n. Richmond, 144 W. It contains a court house, jail, 3 stores,
30 dwellings, land about 100 inhabitants.
Lancaster, C. H., p-v., capital of Lancaster co., S. C, 72 n. n.
e. Columbia, 434 W. Situated on a small branch of the Catawba
r., and contains a court house, several stores and dwellings.
Landaff, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 84 n. w. Concord, 532 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, fertile. Chartered in 1764. Watered by
Great Ammonoosuck r., Wild Ammonoosuck r., and their branches.
It has 3 saw m. Capital in manufac. $1,400. 9 sch. 440 scholars.
Landgrove, p-t., Bennington co., Vt., 98 s. by w. Montpelier,
442 W. Chartered in 1780. Watered by branches of West r. The
surface is elevated and rough. A stage road across the Green
mountains, from Manchester to Chester, passes through the place.
It has 1 store, cap. §2,000; 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $700. 3
sch. 115 scholars. Pop. 344.
Landing p-o., Boone co., Ky., 65 n. Frankfort, 30 W.
Landisburg, p-v., Perry county, Pa., 29 w. Harrisburg, 117 W. It
contains 1 Presbyterian Church, 4 stores, and about 400
Landisville, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 31 e. by s. Harrisburg,
Lanefield. p-o., Haywood co., Tenn., 160 w.. w. Nashville, 843
Lanesborough, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 135 w. by n. Boston,
382 W. It is situated on 2 gently swelling hills, with a fertile
intervening alley. The soil is fertile, and adapted to grazing.
Drained by head branches of Hoosick and Housatonic Rivers.
Incorporated in 1765. The t. lies principally on 1 extended
street, and contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist,
and 1 Episcopal. There are in the t., 2 stores, Cap. $4,000; 1
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 86,900. 2 acad. 45 students,
6 sch. 160 scholars. Pop. 1,140.
Lanesborough, p-o., Susquehanna co., Pa., 30 n. n. e.
Harrisburg, 290 W.
Lanesborough, p-v., Anson co., N. C, 155 s.. Raleigh, 424 W.
Land's Creek, p-o., Anson co., N. C, 158 s., Raleigh, 427 W.
Lanesville, p-v., Harrison co., Ia., 135 s. Indianapolis, 614 W.
It contains a Methodist lurch, 2 stores, and about 75
Lanesville, p-v., Randolph co., N. C, 60 w. Raleigh, 341 W.
Langdon, pt,, Sullivan co., N. H., 59 w. by s. Concord, 456 W.
Watered through the centre a branch of Cold r., which runs on
its s. border. Incorporated in 1787. It has 1 store, p. $3,000;
1 tannery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,298. 12 sch.
215 scholars. Pop. 615.
Langhorne's Tavern, p-o., Cumberland co., Va., 57 w. Richmond,
Langsbury, p-o., Shiawassee co., Mich., 93 N. w. Detroit, 596 W.
Langsbury, p-o., Camden co., Ga., 257 s. E. by s. Milledgeville,
Langston, p-o., Jackson co., Ala., 165 n. e. by n. Tuscaloosa,
Languille, p-o., St. Francis co., Ark., 132 E. by n. Little
Rock, 977 W. Situated on the e. side of Languille r.
Lanier, p-v., capital of Macon co., Ga., 76 s. w. Milledgeville,
732 W. Situated on the w. side of Flint r. It contains a court
house and several dwellings.
Lannahassie, p-o., Stewart co., Ga., 118 s. w. Milledgeville,
Lansford, p-v., Chester dist., S. C, 64 n Columbia, 443 W.
Situated on the w. side of Catawba r.
Lansing, t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 175 w. Albany, 300 W. The
surface is hilly: soil, a fertile gravelly loam. Drained by
Salmon cr. and its tributaries. It has 8 stores, cap. $48,750; 1
furnace, 3 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 3 flouring m.,
3 grist m., 11 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $51,300. 24
sch. 1,307 scholars. Pop. 3,672.
Lansingburg, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 10 N. E. Albany, 380
W. The surface is level on Hudson r., which bounds it on the w.,
and hilly on the E.; soil, gravelly and clay loam. The v. is
situated on the E. side of Hudson r., at the head of sloop
navigation, and is regularly laid out on a plain, 2 miles long
and half a mile wide. Incorporated in 1787. It contains 7
churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 2 Methodist,
and 1 Universalist, 9 drygoods, 8 produce, and 20 grocery
stores, 1 copper and iron foundry, 2 oil floorcloth fac, 3 brush
fac, 1 plaster m., 1 flouring m., 2 gun and rifle fac, 6 malt
houses, 2 printing offices, an academy, 450 dwellings, and 3,000
inhabitants. Several sloops and towboats are employed in the
river trade. The state dam, 1,100 feet long and 9 feet high,
with a lock between this and Troy, enables sloops to come to
this place, and forms a spacious basin. A bridge across the
Hudson connects it with Waterford. There are in the t. 47
stores, cap. $240,100; 1 tannery, 1 brewery, 2 printing offices,
1 weekly newspaper, 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $204,700; 1
acad. 100 students, 9 sch. 547 scholars. Pop. 3,330.
Lansingviele, p-v., Lansing t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 175 w.
Albany, 308 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian Church, 1 store, 25
dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Lapeer, County, Mich. Situated toward the n. E.
part of the settled portion of the state, and contains 823 sq.
ms. Drained by Flint r. and branches, Belle r., and Mill cr. The
surface is undulating; soil, fertile. Capital, Lapeer. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 3,813, sheep 1,197, swine 6,207; wheat
35,472 bush, produced, Ind. corn 19,801, buckwheat 2,065, barley
3,922, oats 26,009, potatoes 36,351, sugar 66,535 pounds; 6
stores, cap. $10,300; 4 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers, 4 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $45,800. 1
acad. 20 students, 23 sch. 570 scholars. Pop. 4,265.
Lapeer, p-t., capital of Lapeer co., Mich., 61 N. Detroit, 584
W. Situated at the confluence of Flint r. and Farmer's cr. It
contains a court house, jail, 6 stores, 2 flouring m., and 1 saw
m. It has good water power in the vicinity. There are in the t.
2 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $10,600. 5 sch. 108 scholars. Pop. 746.
Lapland, p-v., Buncombe co., N. C, 275 w. Raleigh, 478 W.
La Porte, County, Ia. Situated toward the N. w.
part of the state, and contains 460 sq. ms. Lake Michigan lies
on its n. w. border, on which is situated Michigan city. The
surface is undulating, abounding with prairies, interspersed
with groves of timber, and the soil productive. Drained by
Kankakee, Little Kankakee, and Gallien rivers, and Trail cr.
Capital, La Porte. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,065, sheep
4,849, swine 19,104; wheat 221,461 bush, produced, Indian corn
270,742, buckwheat 6,439, barley 7,545, oats 166,994, potatoes
77,594, sugar 56,964 pounds; 6 commission houses, cap. $180,000;
34 stores, cap. $115,700; 2 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 1
pottery, 2 flouring m., 11 grist m., 25 saw m., 3 printing
offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $133,763. 2 acad.
195 students, 26 sch. 642 scholars. Pop. 8,184.
La Porte, p-o., Lorain co., O., 119 n. n. e. Columbus, 371 W.
La Porte, p-v., capital of La Porte co., Ia., 145 n. by w.
Indianapolis, 660 W. Situated in the vicinity of several
beautiful lakes. It contains the court house and several
Laputa, p-v., Shelby co., Ky., 10 w. Frankfort, 552 W. Situated
on a small branch of Kentucky r.
Larkin's Fork, p-o., Jackson co., Ala., 187 n. e. by N.
Tuscaloosa, 688 W.
Larkinsville, p-v., Jackson co., Ala., 175 n. e. by N.
Tuscaloosa, 700 W. Situated at the Blue Springs, near the
sources of the Santa cr.
Larned's Corners, p-o., Hopewell t., Ontario co., N. Y., 200 w.
Albany, 346 W.
La Salle, County, Ill. Situated toward the N.
E. part of the state, and contains 1,864 sq. ms. Watered by
Illinois, Fox, and Vermilion rivers and their branches, which
afford good water power. Organized in 1831. The surface is
extensively an undulating dry prairie, and the soil is fertile.
The Illinois and Michigan canal passes through the co. Capital,
Ottawa. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,506, sheep 2,316,
swine 11,950; wheat 112,843 bush, produced, Ind. corn 151,165,
oats 141,595, potatoes 49,284; 43 stores, cap. $103,550; 1
tannery, 1 pottery, 6 grist m., 24 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $67,125. 27 sch. 118
scholars. Pop. 9,348.
La Salle, p-t., Monroe co., Mich., 42 s. s. w. Detroit, 431 W.
The soil is fertile, and well adapted to grain. It has 3 sch.
107 scholars. Pop. 905.
La Salle, p-v., La Salle co., HI., 133 n. n. e. Springfield, 788
W. Situated in a prairie adjoining Peoria lake, and contains
over 100 dwellings.
Las Casas, p-o., Rutherford co., Tenn., 43 s. e. Nashville, 662
Lassellville, p-o., Euphrata t., Fulton co., N. Y., 53 n. w.
Albany, 408 VV.
Latimer's Store, p-o., De Kalb co., Ga., 80 N. w. by w.
Milledgeville, 667 W.
Latimore, t., Adams co., Pa., 15 n. e. Gettysburg. The surface
is level; soil, red shale. Watered by Bermudian cr. and its
tributaries. York Sulphur Springs lie 2 ms. s. of the v. It has
1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 distillery,
1 pottery, 4 grist m., 6 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$7,750. 6 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 1,013.
Latta's, p-o., Ross co., O., 63 s. Columbia. 418 W.
Lauderdale, County, Ala. Situated in the N. w.
part of the state, and contains 672 sq. ms. Tennessee r. runs on
its s. border, and receives Blackwater, Shoal, Cypress, Second,
and other creeks. The surface is broken; soil, very fertile. A
canal extends around the Muscle Shoals, in Tennessee r., in this
co. Capital, Florence. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,515,
sheep 10,486, swine 44,281; wheat 46,303 bush, produced, rye
2,613, Ind. corn 741,073, oats 107,345, potatoes 18,524, tobacco
16,467 pounds, cotton 3,051,192, sugar 1,367; 35 stores, cap.
$232,700; 1 commercial and 2 com. houses, cap. $28,000; 1 cotton
fac. 288 sp., 6 tanneries, 15 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 43
grist m., 21 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $99,295. 2 acad. 85 students, 17 sch. 456
scholars. Pop. whites 9,447, slaves 4,969, free col'd 69; total,
Lauderdale, County, Miss. Situated in the E.
part of the state, and contains 700 sq. ms. Drained by Oktibbeha
r. and its branches. Capital, Marion. There were in 1840, cotton
20,000 pounds produced; 1 tannery, 10 grist m., 12 m. Pop.
whites 3,992, slaves 1,353, free col'd 13; total, 5,358.
Lauderdale, County, Tenn. Situated in the w.
part of the state, and contains 375 sq. ms. Mississippi r. runs
on its w. border. Watered by Forked Deer r. in the n. part, and
Big Hatchee r. on the s. and Coal cr. The soil is very fertile.
Capital, Ripley. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,687, sheep
802, swine 13,670; wheat 5,755 bush, produced, Ind. corn
170,985, oats 8,779, potatoes 15,545, rice 2,127 pounds, tobacco
45,353, cotton 253,595; 3 stores, cap. $9,000; 1 tannery, 3
distilleries, 14 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,832. 7
sch. 124 scholars. Pop. whites 2,423, slaves 1,010, free col'd
2; total, 3,435.
Laughery, t., Dearborn co., Ia. It has 9 stores, cap. $14,820; 1
flouring m., 1 saw in. Cap. in manufac. $7,495. 1 acad. 30
students, 4 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. 1,501.
Laughery, p-v., Ripley co., Ia., 69 s. E. Indianapolis, 532 W.
It is situated on the w. side of a creek of the same name.
Laughlintown, p-v., Ligonier t., Westmoreland co., Pa., 140 w.
Harrisburg, 172 W. It contains 3 stores and about 50 dwellings.
Laurel, County, Ky. Situated toward the s e.
part of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. Rockcastle cr., a
branch of Cumberland r., runs on its w. border. Watered by South
Fork, Little Rockcastle, and Laurel creeks. Capital. London.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,061, sheep 3,623, swine
11,174; wheat 1,084 bush produced, Ind. corn 90,900, oats
23,335, potatoes 5,600, tobacco 4,106 pounds; 7 stores, cap.
$7,200, 2 tanneries, 13 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,600. 7 sch. 188 scholars. Pop. whites 2,694, slaves 109, free
col'd 6; total, 3,079.
Laurel, p-v., Sussex co., Del., 52 s. Dover 129 W.
Laurel, p-o., Washington co., Va., 296 w. by s. Richmond.
Laurel, p-v., Franklin co., Ia., 57 e. s. e. Indianapolis, 531
W. Situated on the w. side on the w. branch of Whitewater r. The
Whitewater canal passes through it.
Laurel Creek, p-o., Fayette co., Tenn., 19 w. s. w. Nashville,
Laurel Factory, p-o., Prince George's co Md.
Laurel Gap, p-o., Greene co., Tenn., 255 f Nashville, 431 W.
Laurel Grove, p-o., Pittsylvania co., Va., 14 w. s. w. Richmond,
Laurel Mountains, w. of the main Alleghany range, extend from
Pa. across Va. to Ky., an then, under the name of Cumberland
mountain divide Va. and Ky., and cross Tenn., terminating near
its s. border
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!