Lebanon, VA to Leominster, MA
Lebanon, p-v., capital of Russell co., Va., 325 w. by s.
Richmond, 384 W. Situated on a branch of Clinch r.
Lebanon, t., Meigs co., O. Situated on Ohio r. It has 3 stores,
cap. $1,100; 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,150. 4
sch. 122 scholars. Pop. 621.
Lebanon, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C.
Lebanon, p-v., Cobb co., Ga., 106 n. w. Milledgeville, 662 W.
Situated on the n. side of Chattahoochee r.
Lebanon, p-v., capital of Marion co., Ky., 59 s. w. by s.
Frankfort, 581 W. Situated on a small branch of Salt r. It
contains a court house, several stores, and 546 inhabitants.
Lebanon, p-v., capital of Wilson co., Tenn., 32 e. Nashville,
652 W. It is situated on a branch of Cumberland r., and contains
a court house, jail, 2 academies, 1 male and 1 female, 3
churches, 1 Cumberland Presbyterian. 1 Methodist, and 1 Baptist,
12 stores, 80 dwellings, and about 1,500 inhabitants. There is a
large steam cotton fee. in the vicinity, and a college is
chartered, denominated "The Southern University."
Lebanon, p-v., capital of Boone co., Ia., 25 n. w. Indianapolis,
599 W. It contains a court house, and several stores and
Lebanon, p-v., St. Clair co., Ill., 71 s. Springfield, 797 W. It
has 8 stores, 2 Methodist and 1 Episcopal churches, 1 steam
flouring m., and about 50 dwellings. It contains McKendree
College, founded in 1834, which has a president, 3 professors or
other instructors, and 47 students. Commencement is on the
second Wednesday in October.
Lebanon, p-v., capital of Searcy co., Ark., 95 N. by w. Little
Rock. It is situated on the s. side of the Buffalo fork of White
r., and has but 2 or 3 dwellings.
Lebanon, p-v., capital of De Kalb co., Ala., 112 n. E.
Tuscaloosa, 675 W. Situated on n. side of Big Wills cr. It
contains a court house and several dwellings.
Lebanon, p-v., Boone co., Mo., 46 n. Jefferson City, 935 W.
Lebanon, t., Cooper co., Mo. It has 2 sch. 82 scholars. Pop.
Ledlies, p-o., Meigs co., O., 91 s. e. Columbus, 352 W.
Ledyard, p-t., New London co., Ct., 47 s. e. Hartford, 365 W.
Organized from Groton in 1836. The v. is on the e. side of
Thames r., at Gales ferry, and contains about 30 dwellings.
There are in the t., 3 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 tannery, 4 grist
m., 3 saw m. Capital in manufac. $12,430. 14 schools, 523
scholars. Pop. 1,871.
Ledyard, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 171 w. Albany, 317 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, clay, loam, and marl, and very
productive. Cayuga Lake bounds it on the w., into which its
streams flow. It has 4 stores, cap. $43,400; 1 fulling m. 1
tannery, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$28,550. 2 acad. 91 students, 17 sch. 570 scholars. Pop. 2,143.
Lee, County, Va. Situated in the s. w. part of
the state, and contains 512 sq. ms. It occupies a valley between
Cumberland and Powell's mountains. Drained by Powell's r. and
its branches. Capital, Jonesville. There were in 1810, neat
cattle 10,400, sheep 10,493, swine 34,205; wheat 36,766 bushels
produced, rye 6,493, Indian corn 446,111, oats 102,812, potatoes
23,249, tobacco 23,433 pounds, sugar 33,849; 12 stores, capital
$16,552; 5 bloomeries, 7 tanneries, 18 distilleries, 24 flouring
m., 31 grist m., 14 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $30,745. 7
sch. 138 scholars. Pop. whites 7,829, slaves 580, free col'd 32;
Lee, County, Ga. Situated toward the s. w. part
of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Watered by Flint river
and its branches. Capital, Starkville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 10,467, sheep 730, swine 12,072; wheat 2,153 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 105,805, oats 2,072, potatoes 7,336, cotton
1,067,140 pounds; 7 stores, cap. $25,100; 8 grist m., 5 saw m.
Cap in manufac. $6,100. 1 acad. 28 students, 7 sch. 146
scholars. Pop. whites 2,469, slaves 2,046, free col'd 5; total,
Lee, county, Ill. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Drained by Rock and Green
rivers. Capital, Dixon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,900,
sheep 318, swine 4,469; wheat 27,415 bush, produced, Ind. com
45,500, oats 23,685, potatoes 18,715; 8 stores, cap. $23,100; 1
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 12,705. 7 sch. 192 scholars.
Lee, County, Iowa. Situated in the s. part of
the ter., and contains 600 sq. ms. Organized in 1837. Des Moines
r. runs on its s. w., and Skunk r. on its n. e. border. Watered
by Sugar, Halfbreed, and Lost creeks. The surface is undulating;
soil, fertile. Capital, Fort Madison. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 5,654, sheep 2,124, swine 13,890; wheat 21,395 bush,
produced, Ind. com 213,714, oats 30,473, potatoes 9,641, sugar
4,363 pounds; 7 stores, cap. $3,980; 12 sch. 346 scholars. Pop.
Lee, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., about 125 n. e. Augusta. Watered
by a branch of Mattawamkeag r. It has a considerable pond near
the centre of the t. It contains 8 stores, 8 sch. 284 scholars.
Lee, p-t., Strafford co., N. IL, 38 e. by s. Concord, 485 W.
Watered by Lamprey, Little, North, and Oyster rivers. It has 3
stores, cap. $2,090; 1 grist m. 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$7,575. 7 sch. 314 scholars. Pop. 926.
Lee, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 128 w. Boston, 368 W. Situated
on the Housatonic r. Soil, fertile, and well adapted to
agriculture. The surface is uneven, excepting on the streams.
Marble and iron ore are found here. Incorporated in 1777. It has
11 stores, cap. $36,650; 2 forges, 1 cotton fac. 888 sp., 1
tannery, 13 paper fac, 1 printing office, 1 grist m., 7 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $267,525. 1 acad. 42 students, 10 sch. 603
scholars. Pop. 2,428.
Lee, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 114 w. n. w. Albany, 393 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, clay and sandy loam. Drained by
Canada and Fish creeks. The v. contains 1 church, 1 store, 25
dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. There are in the t., 5
stores, cap. $16,000; 2 furnaces, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4
tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 14 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $48,062. 25 sch. 896 scholars. Pop. 2,936.
Lee, p-t., Athens co., O., 81 s. e. Columbus, 348 W. It has 2
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,750. 2 sch. 56 scholars.
Lee, t., Calhoun co., Mich. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
Leechburg, p-o., Armstrong co., Pa., 19 w. Harrisburg, 223 W.
Leechville, p-v., Beaufort dist., S. C, 165 s. Columbia, 351 W.
Leeds, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 21 w. by SAugusta, 587 W. The
soil is fertile, adapted to I grain. The Androscoggin r. runs on
its w. border. A large pond lies in its n. e. part, the outlet
of which flows into Androscoggin r. Incorporated in 1302. It has
4 stores, cap. $850; 1 fulling m, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $6,H25. 1 acad. 9 students, 12 sch. 604
scholars. Pop. 1,736.
Leeds, p-v., Catskill t., Greene co., IN. Y., 38 s. s. w.
Albany, 310 W. Situated on Catskill cr., and contains 1 church,
2 flouring m., 1 furnace, 30 dwellings, and about 200
Leeds Manor, p-o., Fauquier co., Va., 127 n. by w. Richmond, 70
Leeds Point, p-v., Galloway t., Atlantic co., N. J., 86 s. s. e.
Trenton, 196 W. It contains a store and 5 or 6 dwellings.
Leedsville, p-o., Amenia t., Dutchess co., N. Y, 68 s. Albany,
Leedsville, p-v., Monmouth co., N. J., 48 e. Trenton, 214 W.
Leedsville, p-v., Randolph co., Va., 213 N. w. by w. Richmond,
Leelanau, County, Mich. Situated on the e.
shore of Lake Michigan, and w. of Grand Travverse Bay. Principal
stream Betsy's r. It has several large ponds, and on the lake
coast, high sand bluffs, the most prominent of which is the
Sleeping Bear, so called from a fancied resemblance to that
Leesburg, p-v., Maurice River t., Cumberland co., N. J., 78 s.
by w. Trenton, 189 W. Situated on the e. bank of Maurice r. It
contains 1 Methodist church, 1 store, and about 20 dwellings.
There is considerable ship building here.
Leesburg, p-v., capital of Loudon co., Va., 153 N. Richmond, 34
W. Situated H m. n. of Potomac r., on an elevated plain, at the
foot of Kittoctan mountains, is regularly laid out, the streets
are paved, and it is supplied with fine water, by an aqueduct,
from a spring in the vicinity. It contains a neat court house, a
jail, a market house, a bank, 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, an academy, a female seminary, 24
stores, 2 printing offices, each issuing a weekly newspaper, and
500 dwellings. The country around is fertile.
Leesburg, p-v., Washington co., Tenn., 278 e. Nashville, 417 W.
Situated on the e. side of a small stream falling into the
Nolichucky r. It contains 1 church and about 200 inhabitants.
Leesburg, p-v., Harrison co., Ky., 27 n. e. Frankfort, 515 W.
Situated on w. side of a small stream falling into Licking r.
Leesburg, p-v., Fairfield t, Highland co., O., 64 s. w. by s.
Columbus, 436 W. It contains 6 stores and about 350 inhabitants.
Leesburg, p-v., Kosciusko co., Ia., 133 n. by e. Indianapolis,
603 W. Situated 2 ms. n. w. of Tippecanoe r., on the margin of a
Leesburg, p-v., Winnebago co., Ill., 220 n. by e. Springfield,
Leesburg, p-v., Cherokee co., Ala., 140 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 6S9 W.
Lee's Cross Roads, p-o., Cumberland co., Pa., 30 s. w.
Harrisburg, 105 W.
Leesville, p-v., Sharon t., Schoharie co., N. Y. It contains 1
Universalist church, 3 stores, and about 25 dwellings.
Leesville, p-v., Campbell co., Va., 147 w. by s. Richmond, 222
W. Situated at the junction of Stanton r. and Goose cr., and
contains 2 stores, a tobacco fee, 1 flouring m., 1 carding
machine, 1 cotton gin, 2 tanneries, 20 dwellings, and about 75
Leesville, p-v., Robeson co., N. C, 102 s. s. w. Raleigh, 390 W.
Leesville, p-v., Lexington dist., S. C, 30 w. by s. Columbia,
Leesville, p-v., Orange t., Carroll co., O., 115 e. n. e.
Leesville, p-v., Hart co., Ky., 101 s. w. Frankfort, 643 W.
Leesville, p-v., Lawrence co., Ia., 78 s. by w. Indianapolis,
609 W. Situated on w. side of Guthrie's cr. It contains 3
stores, 1 grist m., and about 200 inhabitants.
Leesville, p-v., Choctaw co., Miss., 125 n. n. w. Jackson, 960
Leesville Cross Roads, p-v., Sandusky t., Richland co., O., 74
n. by e. Columbus, 412 W.
Leetown, p-v., Jefferson co., Va., 177 n. by w. Richmond, 70 W.
It contains 1 store, 1 flouring m., several dwellings, and 75
inhabitants. Named after Gen. Lee, of revolutionary memory, who
Lee Valley, p-v., Hawkins co., Tenn., 256 e. by n. Nashville,
Lehigh, r., Pa., rises in Luzerne co., near Wilkesbarre, and
flows 100 miles, to its entrance into the Delaware r., at
Easton. Along this r., by means of dams, locks, and canals, a
navigation is opened from Easton to Whitehaven, in Northampton
co., 84£ ms., of which 30 consist of pools, 39y of canals, 2i of
locks, and the remainder of sluices. This forms a most important
opening to the coal region, to which railroads are continued.
The r., in its upper parts, is a rapid mountain stream, width
Lehigh, County, Pa. Situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 389 sq. ms. It mostly occupies a valley
between South and Blue or Kittatinny mountains. The surface and
soil are various; but the latter, in many parts, is excellent.
Lehigh r. runs on its n. e. border, by which, and its
tributaries, the co. is watered. Capital, Allentown. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 18,126, sheep 13,448, swine 32,625, wheat
176,468 bush, produced, rye 301,830, lnd. corn 207,098, barley
3,018, oats 202,015, potatoes 116,061, tobacco 4,000 pounds; 76
stores, cap. $435,200; 6 lumber yards, cap. $20,000; 1 furnace,
1 forge, 2 fulling m., 6 woolen fac, 29 tanneries, 119
distilleries, 3 powder m., 1 pottery, 1 paper fac, 4 printing
offices, 4 weekly newspapers, 4 flouring m., 62 grist m., 48 saw
m., 7 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $292,190; 1 acad. 30 students, 56
sch. 2,293 scholars. Pop. 25,787.
Lehigh, t., Northampton co., Pa. It is bounded w. by Lehigh r.
The surface is partly hilly, partly level; soil, gravel and
calcareous loam. Blue Mountain lies on its n. boundary. Watered
by Indian cr. The Lehigh Water gap is in the n. w. corner of the
t., where is a v. containing a store, and a mill for preparing
hydraulic cement, from limestone here found, and about 20
dwellings. Here is a tollbridge over the r. It has 8 stores,
cap. $22,000; 1 fulling m., 2 distilleries, 6 grist m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $46,000. 9 sch. 510 scholars. Pop. 2,049.
Lehigh Gap, p-o., Lehigh t., Northampton co., Pa., 104 e. n. e.
Harrisburg, 198 W. Here the Lehigh r. passes a gap in Blue
Mountain. On each side of the pass the mountain rises to the
height of 1,200 feet above the bed of the river. The scenery is
wildly grand. Here is the v. described above.
Lehighton, p-v., Penn t, Northampton co., Pa., 36 w. N. w.
Easton, 96 n. e. by e. Harrisburg, 196 W. Situated on the w.
bank of Lehigh r., half a mile above Mahoning cr. On the
Mahoning, 100 rods from its mouth, stood the old Moravian v. of
Gnadenhutten, where an old church is still standing. A bridge
214 feet long here crosses the Lehigh. The v. is situated on an
elevated table land, regularly laid out, and with a limited but
Lehman, p-t., Luzerne co., Pa., 121 s. n. w. Harrisburg, 232 W.
The surface is very uneven, but much of it may be cultivated. It
contains Lehman's lake, and its outlet, Lehman's cr. Harvey's,
Bowman's, and Mahoopeny creeks afford extensive water power. It
has 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,500. 4 sch. 164 scholars. Pop.
Leicester, pt.., Addison co., Vt., 73 s. s. w. Montpelier, 477
W. The surface is uneven, and on the e. mountainous; the soil,
excepting on the mountains, is a fertile sandy loam, with some
flats of clay. Watered by Otter creek and Leicester River. Lake
Dunmore, 4 ms. long, and from hall to three fourths of a mile
wide, lies between this t. and Salisbury. Chartered in 1763,
first settled in 1773. It has 3 sch. 63 scholars. Pop. 603.
Leicester, pt.. Worcester co., Mass., 48 w. Boston, 400 W. The
situation is elevated. Watered by branches of French and
Blackstone rivers, which afford extensive water power. The
surface is uneven; soil, a fertile clay loam. It contains 5
churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Unitarian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist,
and 1 Friends. At the central v. is a Congregationalist and a
Unitarian church, and one of the oldest and most respectable
academies in the state, founded in 1784. The t. has 7 stores,
cap. $9,000; 6 tanneries, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$90,870. 1 acad. 319 students, 10 sch. 544 scholars. Pop. 1,707.
Leicester, t., Livingston co., N. Y., 5 w. Geneseo, 232 w.
Albany. The surface is in terraces, descending toward Genesee
r., which bounds it on the e. The soil is fertile. It has 3
stores, cap. $18,700; 1 woolen fee, 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 2
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,365. 1 acad. 20
students, 16 sch. 758 scholars. Pop. 2,415.
Leigh Read, County, (formerly Musquito,) Flor.
Situated on the e. side of the peninsula, and contains a great
extent of territory, with a diversity of soil and climate. It
has many swamps, easily drained, and very fertile. Watered by
St. John's r., Halifax r., Spruce cr., Hillsborough r., Indian
r., St. Sebastians cr., Jupiter cr., and St. Lucia r. Capital,
New Smyrna. Pop. 1840, 72.
Leiguton, p-o., Lawrence co., Ala., 132 rt. Tuscaloosa, 772 W.
Situated on the Tuscumbia and Decatur railroad.
Leigh ton's Corners, p-o., Carroll co., N. H., 55 n. by e.
Concord, 536 W.
Leiper's Fork, p-o., Williamson co., Tenn., 26 s. Nashville, 703
Leipersville, p-v., Ridley t., Delaware co., Pa.. 97 e. s. e.
Harrisburg, 124 W. It contains a church, 1 store, 1 saw m., 1
tannery, and about 25 dwellings. The Leiper canal extends 2 ms.
from Delaware r., through the t., to stone quarries on Ridley
Leipsic, p-v., Kent co., Del.
Leitersburg, p-v., Washington co., Md., 107 N. w. Annapolis, 75
Lumen, p-o., De Witt co., Ill., 74 n. e. Springfield, 729 W.
Lemington, p-t., Essex co., Vt., 94 n. e. Montpelier, 591 W. The
surface is uneven and mountainous, with some good intervale on
the streams. Connecticut r. bounds it on the s. e., by small
tributaries of which it is watered. One of them has a cascade of
50 feet. Chartered in 1762. It has 2 saw m., 2 sch. 40 scholars.
Lemon, t., Butler co., O. It is a large, populous, and wealthy
t., containing several villages. 5 sch. 110 scholars. Pop.
Lempster, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 40 w. Concord, 466 W. The
surface is uneven, and on the E. mountainous; soil, adapted to
grazing. Watered by branches of Sugar and Cold rivers. Chartered
in 1761. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,300; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $745. 21 sch. 319
scholars Pop. 941.
Lenawee, County, Mich. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 735 sq. ms. Watered by Raisin
and Ottawa rivers. The surface is gently undulating; soil, sandy
and argillaceous loam, and fertile. Iron ore is found. Capital,
Adrian. There were in 1840, neat cattle 14,917, sheep 6,034,
swine 22,973; wheat 167,891 bush, produced, rye 3,468, Ind. corn
199,533, buckwheat 8,183, barley 5,989, oats 151,111, potatoes
112,534, sugar 33,945 pounds; 6 commission houses, cap. $15,000;
43 stores, cap. $195,350; 1 tannery, 3 distilleries, 3 flouring
m., 9 grist m., 44 saw m., 3 printing offices, 3 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $266,350. 1 college, 20 students, 1
acad. 27 students, M4 sch. 4,394 scholars. Pop. 17,889.
Lenoir, County, N. C. Situated toward the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 390 sq. ins. Watered by Neuse r.
and its branches. Ca Kingston. There were in 1840, neat cattle
7,060. sheep 4.530, swine 27,420; wheat 9,960 bush, produced,
rye 4,800, Ind. corn 1,734,000, oats 8,870, potatoes 61,950,
rice 15,000 pounds, cotton 244,300; 11 stores, cap. $41,000; 1
cotton fac., 12 distilleries, 11 flouring m., 17 grist m., 11
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $27,375. 2 acad. 80 students, 6 sch. 167
scholars. Pop. whites 3,687, slaves 3,683, free col'd 235;
Lenoir, p-v., capital of Caldwell co., N. C. Situated on the s.
side of Yadkin r., near its source, and contains a court house,
1 store, and several dwellings.
Lenoir's, p-o., Roane co., Tenn., 171 e. by s. Nashville, 522 W.
Lens Creek, p-o., Kanawha co., Va.
Lenox, p-t., capital of Berkshire co., Mass , 13? w. Boston, 370
W. The surface is uneven, and the soil productive. Watered by
Housatonic r. Incorporated in 1767. The v. is pleasantly
situated on elevated ground, and is neatly built, and contains a
court house, jail, 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal,
and 1 Methodist, a flourishing academy, founded in 1803, a
printing office, and about 40 dwellings. The t. has I furnace, 1
fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1
grist m., 6 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $10,600. 1 acad.
60 students, 7 sch. 341 sch. Pop. 1,313.
Lenox, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 121 w. n. w. Albany, 358 W. The
surface is undulating or level; soil, generally productive,
adapted to wheat. Drained by Cowasalon and Oneida crs., flowing
into Oneida lake, which bounds it on the n. The v., called Lenox
Basin, is on the Erie Canal, and contains 5 stores, and about 20
dwellings. The t. has 15 stores, cap. $44,000 : 3 fulling m., 4
tanneries, 3 grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $31,000. 1
acad. 36 students, 24 sch. 1,493 scholars. Pop. 5,440.
Lenox, p-t., Susquehanna co., Pa., 170 n. n. w. Harrisburg, 274
W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay and gravel. Watered by
Tunkhannock cr. and its branches. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,500;
2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,075. 8 sch. 240
scholars. Pop. 800.
Lenox, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 15 s. Ashtabula, 201 n. e.
Columbus, 335 W. It contains 1 store, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. 5
sch. 166 scholars. Pop. 550.
Lenox, t, Macomb co., Mich. The soil is fertile, adapted to
grain. It has 9 sch. 149 scholars. Pop. 284.
Leominster, p-t., Worcester co., Mass. 44 w n. w. Boston, 417 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, very fertile, particularly on
the river. Watered by a branch of Nashua r., which affords
extensive water power. Incorporated in 1740. It contains 4
churches, 1 Congregationalist, 1 Unitarian, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist. The v., at the centre, contains 2 churches, and about
30 dwellings. The t. has 12 stores, cap. $12,300; 1 fulling m.,
2 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $13,825. 1 acad. 25 students, 12 sch. 633 scholars.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!