Leon County, FL to Lexington City, KY
Leon, County. Flor. Situated in the centre of
the N. part of the ter., and contains 1,824 sq. ms. Appalachee
bay of the Gulf of Mexico lies on its s. border. The seacoast is
marshy; back is pine land, much of which is fertile. Ocklockony
River runs on its w. border. Wakully r. is in its e. part.
Capital, Tallahassee. There were in 1810, neat cattle 11,890,
sheep 1,798, swine 18,339; Ind. corn 236,951 bush, prod., oats
5,315, potatoes 43,780, tobacco 3,300 pounds, cotton 5,530,614,
sugar 29,150; 2 commercial and 10 commission houses, cap. SI
18,500; 44 stores, cap. $436,000; 1 tannery, 6 grist m., 9 saw
m., 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, and 2 weekly newspapers.
Capital in manufac. $129,500. 1 acad. 41 students, 4 sch. 100
scholars. Pop. whites 3,461, slaves 7,231, free colored 21;
Leon, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 311 w. by s. Albany, 313 W.
The surface is elevated, but generally level; soil, a fertile
clay and sandy 10am. Drained by Conewango cr. and its
tributaries. It has 13 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $18,700. 11
sch. 473 scholars. Pop. 1,326.
Leon, p-v., Madison co., Va., 165 n. w. Richmond, 89 W. Situated
on Crooked run.
Leon, p-o., Richmond t., Ashtabula co., O., 208 n. e. Columbus,
Leonardstown, p-v., capital of St. Mary's co., Md., 87 s.
Annapolis, 64 W. Situated on Britton's a small branch of Potomac
r. It contains a court house, jail, several stores and
Leonardsville, p-v., Brookfield t., Madison :o., N. Y., 86 w. by
n. Albany, 364 W. Situated in Unadilla r., and contains 1
church, 4 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 40 dwellings, and
about 50 inhabitants.
Leoni, p-t., Jackson co., Mich., 71 w. Detroit, 46 W. The soil
is fertile, adapted to grain. It contains 4 stores, cap.
$24,000; 2 distilleries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$17,000. sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 1,067.
Leonidas, t., St. Joseph co., Mich. It has 4 sch. 132 scholars.
Leon Mills, p-o., Leon t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 315 w. by s.
Albany, 341 W.
Le Ray, t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 8 n. e. Watertown, 158 n. w.
Albany. The surface is undulating: soil, a fertile clay and
sandy loam. Watered by Black and Indian rs. It has 10 stores, p.
$23,100; 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 flouring. 2 grist m., 4
saw m. Capital in manufactures $19,600. 1 acad. 95 students, 25
sch. 1,194 scholars. Pop. 3,721.
Le Raysville, p-v., Le Ray t., Jefferson co., N. Y. 162 n. w.
Albany, 428 W. It contains 1 church, 1 store, 1 saw m., 30
dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Le Raysville, p-v., Pike t., Bradford co., Pa., 152 n. by e.
Harrisburg, 262 W. It contains an academy.
Le Boeuf, t., Erie co., Pa. It has 1 fulling m., grist m., 3 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $5,800. 6 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 876.
Le Roy, p-t., Genesee co., N. Y., 236 w. by Albany, 370 W. The
surface is generally level; sod, a productive sandy and gravelly
in, adapted to grain. Drained by Allen's cr. It has 17 stores,
cap. $70,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 flouring m., 2 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $34,450. 1 acad. 116 students, 12
sch. 486 scholars. Pop. 4,323.
Le Roy, v., Exeter t., Otsego co., N. Y. Situated at the outlet
of Canandaigua Lake and contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1 grist
m., 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Le Roy, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 143 N. by E. Harrisburg, 253 W.
It has 2 stores, cap. $1,975; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,420. 4 sch. 178 scholars.
Le Roy, t., Lake co., O., 4 n. k. Chardon, 185 N. E. Columbus.
It has 1 saw m., 10 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 898.
Le Roy, p-o., Westfield t., Medina co., O., 113 n. e. by n.
Columbus, 356 W.
Le Roy, p-o., McLean co., Ill, 94 n. e. Springfield, 729 W.
Le Roy, t., Calhoun co., Mich. It has 2 saw m., 2 sch. 100
scholars. Pop. 326.
Leslie, p-t., Ingham co., Mich., 89 w. by n. Detroit, 575 W.
Lesser Cross Roads, p-o., Somerset co., N. J., 42 n. Trenton,
Letart, t., Meigs co., O. Situated on a bend of Ohio r.,
opposite to Letart's Rapids, surrounded on 3 sides by the r. It
has 3 stores, cap. $2,900; 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,350. 4 sch. 128 scholars. Pop. 642.
Letart's Falls, p-v., Letart t., Meigs co., O., 108 s. w.
Columbus, 343 W. The rapid in Ohio r., 25 ms. below Shade r., is
caused by the projection of a steep hill into the r., which
occasions a rapid current.
Letcher, County, Ky. Situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 200 sq. miles. It was erected in 1842,
principally from Perry co. Drained by the head branch of
Kentucky r. Capital, Letcher C. H.
Letcher, p-o., capital of Letcher co., Ky., 147 s. e. Frankfort,
Letter B, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 77 n. w. Augusta, 628 W.
Situated on Umbagog lake, which bounds it n. and w. It has 1
grist m., 1 saw r m. Pop. 111.
Letterkenny, t., Franklin co., Pa., 7 n. w. Chambersburg.
Drained by Conedogwinit and Racoon crs. The surface is mostly
level; soil, slaty. Blue Mountain covers its w. part. It has 6
stores, cap. $12,600; 1 fulling m., 6 tanneries, 1 flouring m.,
3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,120. 11 sch. 523
scholars. Pop. 1,918.
Letimberville, p-v., Scott t., Marion co., O., 56 n. Columbus,
412 W. It contains 1 store and a number of dwellings.
Levanna, p-v., Ledyard t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 172 w. Albany, 325
W. Situated on the E. side of Cayuga lake, and contains 1
church, 1 store, 2 warehouses, 1 steam flouring m., 30
dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Levant, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 80 n. n. e. Augusta, 675 W.
Drained by Kenduskeag stream and its branches. The soil is
productive. It has 3 stores, cap. $1,200; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,300. 404
scholars in schools. Pop. 1,061.
Levant, p-o., Chautauque co., N. Y., 326 w. by s. Albany, 323 W.
Level, p-o., Warren co., O., 81 w. s. w. Columbus, 464 W
Level Corner, p-o., Lycoming co., Pa., 102 N. Harrisburg, 210 W.
Level Farm, p-o., New Kent co., Va.
Level Green, p-o., Giles co., Va., 221 w. Richmond, 261 W.
Leverett, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 83 w. by N. Boston, 393 W.
The surface is elevated; soil, adapted to grazing. It contains 2
Congregational churches. Watered by 2 small branches of
Connecticut r. Incorporated in 1774. It has 3 stores, cap.
$3,400; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 8
saw m. Capital in manufac. $15,023. 5 sch. 327 scholars. Pop.
Leverington, p-o., Philadelphia co., Pa., 98 e. by s.
Harrisburg, 147 W.
Lewis, County, N. Y. Situated in the N. part of
the state, and contains 1,122 sq. ms. The surface is mostly
hilly and broken; soil, various. Along Black r. it is fertile.
Watered by Black r. and its tributaries, Beaver, Independence,
and Moose rivers, and by Salmon, Indian, and Oswegatchie rs.
Capital, Martinsburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle 31,130,
sheep 36,665, swine 18,076; wheat 85,191 bush, produced, rye
2,473, Ind. corn 48,984, buckwheat 8,498, barley 20,271 oats
144,880, potatoes 634,316, hops 5,460 pounds, sugar 257,476; 33
stores, capital $93,300; 2 furnaces, 5 fulling m., 2 woolen fac,
16 tanneries, 1 distillery, 3 flouring m., 11 grist m., 80 saw
m., 2 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $65,280. 1 acad. 120 students, 151 sch. 5,259 scholars.
Lewis, County, Va. Situated in the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 1,600 sq. ms. Drained by Little
Kanawha r. and its branches, and by the w. fork of Monongahela
r. and its branches, and the head waters of E. fork. The surface
is uneven and rough. Capital, Weston. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 12,257, sheep 14,971, swine 19,622; wheat 47,091 bush,
produced, rye 4,867, Ind. corn 253,110, oats 80,161, potatoes
24,376, tobacco 11,683 pounds, sugar 93,784; 16 stores, cap.
$59,300; 1 fulling m., 5 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 24 grist m.,
17 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $30,700. 9 sch. 219
scholars. Pop. whites 7,989, slaves 124, free col'd 38; total,
Lewis, County, Ky. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 375 sq. ms. Ohio r. runs on its n.
border. Drained by Salt Lick and Kinniconick creeks, which flow
into the Ohio. Capital, Clarksburg. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 3,424, sheep 4,762, swine 8,957; wheat 18,752 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 150,158, oats 40,492, potatoes 3,792, sugar
19,976 pounds; 12 stores, cap. $28,800; 4 tanneries, 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $24,110. 10 sch. 264 scholars. Pop. whites
5,873, slaves 406, free col'd 27; total, 6,306.
Lewis, County, Mo. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 500 sq. ms. The Mississippi r. runs
on its e. boundary. Drained by Fabius and Wyaconda rivers. The
surface is undulating; soil, very fertile. It contains timber
and prairie. Capital, Waterloo. There were in 1810, neat cattle
4,479, sheep 4,934, swine 26,248; wheat 45.583 bush, produced,
rye 9,718, Indian corn 376,452, oats 27,9S1, potatoes 16,199,
tobacco 17,886 lbs., sugar 3,762; 22 stores, cap. $195,865 , 1
tannery, 3 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 9 grist m., 9 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $14,500. 17 sch. 368 scholars. Pop. whites
4,966, slaves 1,065, free col'd 9; total, 6,040.
Lewis, p-t., Essex co., N. Y., 131 n. Albany, 506 W. The surface
is hilly and mountainous, with some level tracts, and a
moderately good soil. Drained by Boquet r. and its tributaries.
It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 2 fulling m., 5 forges, 1 tannery,
1 grist m., 33 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,950. 11 sch. 339
scholars. Pop. 1,505.
Lewis, t.. Lycoming co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,400; 1
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,700. 2 sch. 60 scholars.
Lewis, p-v., Sussex co., Del., 45 s. by e Dover, 153 W.
Lewis and Rehoboth, Hundred, Sussex co., Del. It has 8 stores,
cap. $14,400; 1 tannery! Cap. in manufac. $500. 1 acad. 40
students, 3 sch. 36 scholars. Pop. 1,834.
Lewis, p-t., Brown co., O., 121 s. w. by s. Columbus, 483 W. The
surface is slightly uneven, and the soil adapted to the
production of grain and tobacco. Drained by Whiteoak, Eagle,
Bull skin, and other creeks, that flow into the Ohio' which
bounds it on the s. It has 2 sch. 56 scholars. Pop. 2,437.
Lewis, t., Clay co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 2 grist
m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac $450. Pop. 472.
Lewis, p-o., Barren co., Ky., 135 s. w. Frankfort, 658 W.
Lewis, p-o., Vigo co., Ia., 78 w. s. w. Indianapolis, 649 W.
Lewisberry, p-v., York co., Pa., 17 s. Harrisburg, 109 W.
Lewisborough, p-t., Westchester co., N. Y., 130 s. by E. Albany,
286 W. The surface is somewhat broken; soil, clay and sandy
loam. Drained on the w. by Croton r. It has 4 sch. 85 scholars.
Lewisburg, p-b., Buffalo t., Union co., Pa., 67 n. Harrisburg,
177 W. Situated on the w. bank of Susquehanna r., a little below
the mouth of Buffalo cr. A lateral canal, half a mile long
connects with the West Branch canal. It contains 2 churches, 13
stores, cap. $79,500; 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap
in manufac. $36,355. 1 acad. 20 students, 4 sch. 250 scholars.
Lewisburg, p-v., capital of Greenbrier co Va., 214 w. Richmond,
251 W. It contains court house, jail, 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, Baptist, and 1 Methodist, a lyceum, an academy, 6
stores, a printing office, 200 dwellings, an about 900
inhabitants. It is 9 ms. e. of the celebrated White Sulphur
Lewisburg, p-v., Harrison t., Preble co., 97 w. by s. Columbus,
Lewisburg, p-v., Mecklenburg co., Ky., 173 w. s. w. Frankfort,
714 W. Situated on the bank of Green r., at the s. extremity of
a bend the r.
Lewisburg, p-v., capital of Marshall Co. Tenn., 54 s. Nashville,
703 W. It contains court house, and several stores and
Lewisburg, p-v., Cass co., Ia., 81 n. Indianapolis, 601 W.
Situated on the n. bank of t Wabash r., and on the Wabash and
Lewisburg, p-v., capital of Conway co., Ark., 45 n. w. Little
Rock, 1,110 W. Situated on the n. bank of Arkansas r. It has a
court house and several stores and dwellings.
Lewis's Grove, p-o., Shelby co., Mo., Ill Jefferson City, 968 W.
Lewisport, p-v., Harrison co., Va.. 283 n. by w. Richmond, 251
Lewis's Store, p-o., Spottsylvania co., 99 n. Richmond, 90 W.
Lewiston, p-t., Niagara co., N. Y., 297 w. by n. Albany, 410 W.
A ridge e. and w. divide into 2 plains. The soil is a calcareous
and sandy loam, and fertile. Niagara r. bounds it on w. The
Tuscarora Indians have a settlement in the t. The v. is situated
on the e. side of Niagara r., at the head of steamboat
navigation, 7 ms. from Lake Ontario. Incorporated in 1822 It
contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and
1 Universalist, an academy, 10 stores, 1 grist m., 1 distillery,
100 dwellings, and about 900 inhabitants. It has a convenient
steamboat landing, from which boats regularly ply to Oswego, and
other places on Lake Ontario. It has a communication by railroad
to Buffalo by Niagara Falls, which connects with the Lockport
and Niagara Falls railroad. There are in the t. 4 com. houses,
cap. $500; 18 stores, cap. $29,600; 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 7
saw. m. Cap. in manufac. $30,600. 1 acad. 122 students, 12 sch.
793 scholars. Pop. 2,533.
Lewistown, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 31 s. w. Augusta, 577 W. The
soil is fertile. Incorporated in 1795. Androscoggin r. runs on
its w. border, and has here a fall 47 feet, in a distance if 12
or 15 rods, affording great water power. Abridge, 1,000 feet
long, here crosses the Androscoggin, at the foot of the falls.
It has 6 stores, cap. $580; 4 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $75,800. 14
sch. 742 scholars. Pop. 1,801.
Lewistown, p-b., capital of Mifflin co., Pa., 57 n. w.
Harrisburg, 148 W. Situated on the n. side of Juniata r., at the
junction of Kishcoquillas,r. The Pennsylvania canal runs through
the place. It has 8 streets crossing each other at right angles,
a large court house and public offices of brick, in the middle
of an open square at the centre, 4 churches, an academy, about
400 dwellings. There is a mineral spring in the vicinity. It has
5 com. houses, cap. $900; 17 stores, cap. $106,700; 1 furnace, 3
tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 pottery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $51,450. 1
acad. 27 students, 7 sch. 231 Molars. Pop. 2,058.
Lewistown, p-v., Bloomfield t., Logan co., O., 7 n. w. by s.
Columbus, 464 W. It is situated on the e. side of the Miami r.
Lewistown, Va. (See Lunenburgh C. H.)
Lewistown, p-v., capital of Fulton co., Ill., 55 n. w.
Springfield, 833 W. It contains a neat court house, a jail, 3
stores, and about 40 dwellings. It is 4 ms. e. of Spoon r. and
12 ms. w. of Illinois r.
Lewisville, p-v., Indiana co., Pa., 171 w. n., Harrisburg, 219
Lewisville, p-v., Brunswick co., Va., 82 s. w. Richmond, 193 W.
Lewisville, p-v., Chester dist., S. C, 64 n. Columbia, 450 W.
Lewisville, p-v., capital of La Fayette co., Ark., 162 s. w.
Little Rock, 1,237 W.
Lewisville, p-v., Monroe co., O.
Lewisville, p-v., Henry co., Ia., 42 E. Indianapolis, 529 W. It
is situated on the e. side Flat Rock cr., on the national road.
Lexington, District, S. C. Situated a little of
the center of the state, and contains 900 sq. ms. Watered by
Saluda r., which joins Broad r. on the border of this dist. to
form the Congaree r. Capital, Lexington C. H. There were in
1840, neat cattle 15,619, sheep 6,144, swine 27,198; wheat
28,849 bush, produced, oats 24,084, potato 27,733, rice 24,000
pounds, cotton 454,191; Stores, cap. $38,800; 1 cotton fac, 3
distillers, 46 grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,900. 3
acad. 105 students, 9 sch. 146 scholars. Pop. whites 7,401,
slaves 4,685, free col'd total, 12,111.
Lexington, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 63 n. by w. Augusta, 657 W.
It has a pond on its n. and another on its s. border, connected
by a stream which flows into Kennebec r. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grain. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $800. 8 sch.
215 scholars. Pop. 564.
Lexington, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 11 n. w. Boston, 451 W.
The surface is uneven and rough, and the soil not very fertile,
excepting on the streams. Watered by branches of Shawsheen r. It
has some manufactures. The v. contains a Unitarian and a Baptist
church, and about 40 dwellings. Here the first blood was shed in
the revolutionary war, April 19th, 1775. A monument, with an
appropriate inscription, has been erected at the expense of the
legislature of Mass., on the spot near which 8 men were killed
by the British. This event roused the country to arms. Major
Pitcairn, the British commander, was afterwards killed at the
battle of Bunker Hill. It has 7 stores, cap. $13,000; 2 grist
m., 1 acad. 25 students, 6 sch. 411 scholars. Pop. 1,642.
Lexington, p-t., Greene co., N. Y., 28 w. Catskill, 55 s. w.
Albany, 365 W. The surface is mountainous. Drained by Schoharie
creek. The v. contains 2 churches, 3 stores, I tannery, and
about 20 dwellings. There are in the t., 6 stores, cap. $11,500;
1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $45,300. 13 sch. 282 scholars. Pop. 2,813.
Lexington, p-v., capital of Rockbridge co., Va., 146 w.
Richmond, 188 W. Situated on an elevated bank, on the w. side of
North river, a branch of James River. It contains a neat court
house, a jail, 4 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist, a military institute, Andrew Smith's Female Seminary,
11 stores, 170 dwellings, and 1,200 inhabitants. Washington
College is situated here, originally endowed by the father of
his country, and additionally by others. It was founded in 1812.
It has a president and 5 professors, 126 alumni, 94 students,
and 2,700 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is on the
last Thursday in June. 100 shares of stock of the James River
Company, left by Washington to found this college, yield
annually about $2,500. The Virginia Military Institute is
located here, and has 3 professors, and 60 cadets. It is on the
plan of the U. S. Military Institution, at West Point, N. Y.
Lexington, p-v., capital of Davidson co., N. C, 117 w. Raleigh,
338 W. Situated on the w. side of Abbott's creek, a branch of
Yadkin r. It contains a court house, jail, several stores and
Lexington, p-v., capital of Oglethorpe co., Ga., 70 n.
Milledgeville, 594 W. It contains a court house, jail, 2
churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, 2 academies, one of
which has a building which cost $4,000, and has a fund of
$4,000, and is called, from its founder, "Mason Academy," 15
stores, a public library, and about 45 dwellings.
Lexington, p-v., Lauderdale co., Ala., 158 n. Tuscaloosa, 761 W.
Lexington, p-v., capital of Holmes co., Miss., 62 n. Jackson,
997 W. Situated on the n. side of a branch of Yazoo r., and
contains a court house and several dwellings.
Lexington, p-v., capital of Henderson co., Tenn., 117 w. s. w.
Nashville, 801 W. Situated on Beech r., a branch of Tennessee
r., and contains 1 Cumberland Presbyterian and 1 Methodist
church, 1 academy, 7 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 2
tanneries, 32 dwellings, and 228 inhabitants.
Lexington, city, and capital of Fayette co., Ky., is situated on
a branch of the Elkhorn r., in 38° 6' n. lat., and 48° 18' w.
Ion., 24 e. s. e. Frankfort, 85 s. Cincinnati, 74 e. Louisville,
522 W. Pop. 1820, 5,279; 1830, 6,404; 1840, 6,997 It is the
oldest town in the state., was formerly the capital, and is one
of the neatest and best built places in the western states. It
is regularly laid out, and some of the streets are paved. The
main street is 80 feet wide, and H m. in length, and the
principal roads leading to the city are macadamized, for some
distance from it. Many of the streets are bordered with fine
shade trees, and its environs are beautiful, and ornamented with
elegant residences. There is a public square near the center of
the place, surrounded by fine brick buildings. The city contains
about 1,200 dwellings, and has 10 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1
Campbellite, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Unitarian, 1
Roman Catholic, and 2 African, 1 of them Methodist, and the
other Baptist. Among the public buildings are a court house and
jail, a splendid Masonic hall, one of the finest buildings in
the state, the State Lunatic Asylum, and the Halls of
Transylvania University. This university was founded in 1798,
and has a classical, medical, and law department. It has a
president and 14 professors, or other instructors. The classical
department has about 100 students, the law 78, and the medical
260, making 438 in the whole. The medical graduates of this
institution are more numerous than those of any similar
institution in the United States, excepting that of
Philadelphia. The libraries of the university amount to 12,242
vols. The commencement is on the second Thursday in September.
There are in the city, 2 academies, and 3 male and 2 female
schools, of a high order. This city is more celebrated for its
intelligent and polished society, and as an elegant place of
residence, than for the bustle of business. It had in 1840, 2
for. commission houses, cap. $35,500; 72 retail stores, cap.
$392,285; value of machinery produced, $12,800; hardware,
cutlery, &c, $10,000; 1 woolen fac, 9 ropewalks, cap. $186,860;
3 tanneries, 1 brewery, 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 3 weekly
and 2 semiweekly newspapers, and 7 periodicals. Cap. in manufac.
$428,340. 1 college, 389 students, 2 acad. 65 students, 12 sch.
686 scholars. It is said that the name was given to this place
by the surveyors, who, while laying it out, received
intelligence of the battle of Lexington. In 1797 it contained
only 50 houses. The country around the city is one of the most
fertile districts in the United States.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!