Lincoln County, ME to Little Falls, NY
Lincoln, County, Me. Situated in the s. part of
the state, and contains 950 sq. ms. Watered by Kennebec,
Sheepscot, Damariscotta, Muscongus, and St. George rs. The
Atlantic bounds it on the s., having many inlets, forming many
fine harbors. The soil is productive, but the principal
attention is directed to commerce, the coasting mule, and the
fisheries. Capitals, Wiscasset, Topsham, and Warren. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 39,904, sheep 71, 473, swine 12,066; wheat.
27,813 bush, produced, rye 10,534, Indian corn 104,868, barley
83,265, oats 42,320, potatoes 1,143,407; 14 commercial houses in
foreign trade, cap. $422,926; 385 stores, cap. $695,230; 13
lumber yards, cap. $71,050; cap. invested in fisheries,
$187,906; 27 fulling m., 3 furnaces, 47 tanneries, 2 potteries,
2 flouring m., 66 grist m., 178 saw m., 1 paper fac, 4 printing
offices, 1 bindery, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$1,251,323. 1 college, 17 students, 12 acad. 586 students, 360
sch. 18,986 scholars. Pop. 63,517.
Lincoln, County, N. C. Situated toward the w.
part of the state, and contains 1,200 sq. miles. Great Catawba
r. runs on its e. border. Watered by Little Catawba r. and its
branches, and Dutchman's and Buffalo crs., the last of which
flows into Broad r. Capital, Lincolnton. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 26,573, sheep 18,099, swine 45,838; wheat 185,373
bush, produced, rye 6,810, oats 84,324, potatoes 42,860, tobacco
25,000 pounds, cotton 1,479,396; 30 stores, cap. $175,500; 1
fulling m., 1 cotton fac. 1,284 sp., 20 tanneries, 356
distilleries, 3 potteries, 56 flouring m., 90 grist m., 75 saw
m., 7 oil m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $89,760. 5 acad. 162 students, 80
sch. 1,925 scholars. Pop. whites 19,658, slaves 5,386, free
col'd 116; total, 25,160.
Lincoln, County, Ga. Situated toward the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 220 sq. ms. Savannah r. runs on
its n. e. border, and Little r. on its s. border. Watered by
Fishing and Soap crs., which flow into the Savannah. Capital,
Lincolnton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,039, sheep 2,130,
swine 19,951; wheat 14,148 bush, prod., Ind. corn 97,187, oats
23,484, potatoes 3,633, cotton 3,206,799 pounds; 7 stores, cap.
$19,300; 3 acad. 125 students, 12 sch. 362 schol's. Pop. whites
2,527, slaves 3,339, free colored 29; total, 5,895.
Lincoln, County, Tenn. Situated in the s. part
of the state, and contains 650 sq. ms. Drained by Elk r. and its
branches. Capital, Fayetteville. There were in 1840, neat cattle
20,718, sheep 22,058, swine 98,665; wheat 104,557 bush,
produced, rye 8,805, Indian corn 1,436,575, oats 239,896,
potatoes 29,029, tobacco 24,182 pounds, cotton 484,518, sugar
19,381; 21 stores, capital $111,000; 1 cotton fac. 126 sp., 14
tanneries, 87 distilleries, 12 flouring m., 40 grist m., 22 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$92,324. 4 acad. 135 students, 41 sch. 11,244 scholars. Pop.
whites 17,217, slaves 4,221, free col'd 55; total, 21,493.
Lincoln, County, Ky. Situated a little e. of
the centre of the state, and contains 432 sq. miles. Drained by
Dick's r. and its branches, tributary of Kentucky r., and by
head branches of Green r. The surface is an elevated table land.
Capital, Stanford. There were in 1840, neat cattle 14,445, sheep
17,514, swine 23,525; wheat 38,835 bush. produced, rye 21,981,
Indian corn 455,230, oats 95,927, potatoes 11,017, sugar 9,834
pounds; 8 stores, cap. $60,200; 7 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 5
flouring m., 5 grist m., 3 saw m., 3 oil m. Cap. n manufac.
$45,476. 3 acad. 150 students, 5 sch. 153 scholars. Pop. whites
6,532, slaves 3,450, free col'd 155; total, 9,924,
Lincoln, County, Mo. Situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Drained by Cuivre r. and its
branches. Capital, Troy. There were in 1810, neat cattle 10,066.
sheep 8,198, swine 22,800; wheat 27,321 bush, prod., Ind. corn
347,225, oats 48,382, potatoes 12,566, tobacco 549,659 pounds,
sugar 18,063; 23 stores, cap. $120,440; 5 tanneries, 10
distilleries, 5 flouring m., 22 grist m., 13 saw m., 1 oil m.
Cap. in manufac. $114,795. 1 acad. 72 students, 11 sch. 277
scholars. Pop. whites 5,873, slaves 1,572, free col'd 4; total,
Lincoln, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 117 n. n. e. Augusta, 712 W.
Penobscot r. bounds it on the n. w. Watered by Matanaucook r.
The soil is very fertile. It has 6 stores, cap. $7,500; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $900. 11 sch.
401 scholars. Pop. 1.121.
Lincoln, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 62 n. by w. Concord, 543 W.
The surface is mountainous. Drained by Pemigewasset r and its
branch, Merrimac r. It has 3 schools, 34 scholars. Pop. 76.
Lincoln, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 55 s. w. Montpelier, 495 W.
Chartered in 1780, but not settled until 1790. The surface is
uneven. Watered by New Haven r. and a branch of Mud r. Settled
originally by Friends, who have a church. It has 1 store, cap.
$3,000; 3 forges, 7 saw m. Capital in manufac. $3,500. 8 sch.
310 scholars. Pop. 770.
Lincoln, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 16 w. by n. Boston, 434 W.
The surface is uneven and rough; soil, various, from the poorest
to the best. Bounded w. by Sudbury r., a branch of Concord r.
Drained by a branch of Charles r., issuing from a pond near its
centre. It contains 1 Congregational church, 2 stores, 2 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 4 sch. 200 scholars. Pop.
Lincoln, p-t., Delaware co., O., 44 n. Columbus, 405 W. It has 6
sch. 106 scholars. Pop. 549.
Lincoln, p-v., Macoupin co., Ill., 59 s. by w. Springfield, 799
W. Situated near the head of Wood r.
Lincoln, p-v., Yazoo co., Miss., 40 n. w. Jackson, 1,029 W.
Situated on the e. side of Yazoo r.
Lincoln Centre, p-o., Lincoln t., Penobscot co., Me., 119 n. e.
Augusta. 714 W.
Lincolnton, p-v., capital of Lincoln co., N. C, 172 w. by s.
Raleigh. 409 W. Situated on the e. side of Little Catawba r. It
contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Lutheran, and 1
Methodist, 2 academies, 9 stores, 85 dwellings, and 836
inhabitants. There are several important mills and manufactures
of cotton, iron, and paper, in the vicinity.
Lincolnton, p-v., capital of Lincoln co., Ga., 98 n. E.
Milledgeville, 566 W. It contains a court house, jail, a Baptist
church, several stores, and about 15 dwellings.
Lincolnville, p-t., Waldo co., Me., 10 s. Belfast, 49 e. by s.
Augusta, 633 W. Penobscot r. is on its e. border. There is a
large pond on its s. w. border, from which flows Megunticook r.
It has a fine harbor in its n. part, called Duck Trap, where
ducks were formerly found and killed in great numbers. It has
considerable coasting trade. The t. contains 10 stores, cap.
$4,300; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $12,167. acad. 30 students, 15 sch. 723 scholars. Pop.
Linden, p-o., Genesee co., N. Y., 250 w. by n. Albany, 368 W.
Linden, p-v., capital of Marengo co., Ala., 80 s. by w.
Tuscaloosa, 892 W. Situated on the s. side of Chickasaw bogue
cr., and 8 ms. E. of Tombigbee r. It contains a court house, and
several stores and dwellings.
Linden, p-o., Clark co., Miss., 155 e. by s. Jackson, 966 W.
Lindley's p-o., Ohio co., Ky., 166 w. s. w. Frankfort, 708 W.
Lindley's Mills, p-o., Washington co., Pa., 233 w. Harrisburg,
Lindley's Store, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 47 N. vv. Raleigh, 305
Lindley, t., Steuben co., N. Y., 25 s. e. Bath, 221 e. s. e.
Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, clay and sandy loam. Drained
by Tioga r. The Corning and Blossburg railroad passes through
the t. It has 2 stores, cap. $18,000; 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $19,855. 3 sch. 135 scholars. Pop. 63S.
Lindley town, p-o., Lindley t., Steuben co., N. Y, 229 w. by s.
Albany, 270 W.
Lindsey, t., Benton co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop.
Lindsayville, p-o., Wilson co., Tenn., 23 e. Nashville, 669 W.
Lindsayville, p-v., Oswego CO., N. Y., 174 w. n. w. Albany, 400
Line Creek, p-o., Greenville dist., S. C, 100 n. w. by w.
Columbia, 525 W.
Line Creek, p-o., Montgomery co., Ala., 138 s. E. Tuscaloosa,
Line Lexington, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., 93 e. Harrisburg, 162 W.
It lies partly in 3 towns and 2 counties, and contains 12 or 14
Line Mills, p-o., Crawford co., Pa., 249 n. w. by w. Harrisburg,
Line Store, p-o., Hinds co., Miss., 22 s. by w. Jackson, 1,032
Linglestown, p-v., Lower Paxton t., Dauphin Co., Pa., 8 n. n. e.
Harrisburg, 118 W. It contains a Lutheran church, 2 stores, and
about 25 dwellings.
Linklaen, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y., 122 w. Albany, 336 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, argillaceous loam. Drained by
branches of Ostelic r. It has 1 store, cap. $1,400; 1 fulling
m., 2 tanneries, 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,150. 9 sch. 354
scholars. Pop. 1,249.
Linn, County, Iowa. Situated in the w. part of
the ter., and contains 720 sq. ms. Organized in 1837. Drained by
Wabesipinica r. and Buffalo cr., and Cedar fork of Iowa r. The
surface is gently undulating; soil, very fertile. Capital,
Marion. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,491, sheep 259, swine
2,523; wheat 5,908 bush, produced, Ind. corn 24,654, oats 2,993,
potatoes 5,669, sugar 4,804 pounds; 6 stores, cap. $15,300; 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,005. 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop. 2,373.
Linn, County, Mo. Situated toward the N. part
of the state, and contains 588 sq. ms. Drain by Locust and
Yellow creeks. Capital, Linneus. There were in 1840, neat cattle
2,434, sheep 1,219, swine 6,076; wheat 2,834 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 47,175, oats 4,534, potatoes 1,600, tobacco 7,012
pounds; 4 stores, cap. 1,806. Pop. whites 2,102, slaves 143;
Linneus, p-t., Aroostook co., Me., 8 s. w. Houlton, 190 n. n. e.
Augusta, 785 W. Drained by a branch of Matawamkeag r.
Incorporated in 1837. The soil is fertile. It has 1 grist m., 1
saw m., 2 sch. 134 scholars. Pop. 311.
Linneus, p-v., capital of Linn co., Mo., 136 n. w. by n.
Jefferson city, 1,030 W.
Linnville, p-v., Bowling Green t., Licking co., O., 35 E.
Columbus, 358 W. Situated on the national road, and contains 1
church, 2 stores, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Linnville, p-v., Jefferson co., Mo., 112 e Jefferson city, 851
Linnville Creek, p-o., Rockingham co., Va. t 136 n. w. Richmond,
Linnville River, p-o., Burke co., N. C, 209 w. Raleigh, 439 W.
Linton, t., Coshocton co., O. Organized in 1811, and contains
the v. of Plainfield. There are 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 flouring
m., 1 saw m. Pop. 1,196.
Linton, p-o., Greene co., Ia., 87 s. w. Indianapolis, 654 W.
Lionville, p-v., Chester co., Pa., 71 e. by s. Harrisburg, 127
Lipona, p-o., Jefferson co., Flor., 15 e. Tallahassee, 911 W.
Lippit, p-o., Kent co., R. I., 11 Providence, 401 W.
Liscomb's, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 36 n. w. Raleigh, 278 W.
Lisbon, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 33 s. s. w. Augusta, 572 W.
Androscoggin r. runs on its s. w. border, and has here
considerable falls. A bridge crosses the r. to Durham. It has 2
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $3,600. 11 sch. 439 scholars. Pop. 1,532.
Lisbon, p-t., Grafton co., N. H, 89 n. n. w Concord, 534 W.
Watered by Great Ammonoosuc r. and its branches. The soil on the
streams is fertile, but in other parts various. Iron ore and
limestone are found. It has 4 stores, cap. $18,000; 1 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $16,7.00. 13 sch. 687 scholars. Pop. 1,682.
Lisbon, p-t., New London co., Ct, 7 n. Norwich, 43 s. e.
Hartford, 361 W. The surface is uneven and hilly; soil, gravelly
loam, with some alluvial soil on the rs. Watered by Quinnebaug
and Shetucket rivers, which unite at its s. part, taking the
name of the latter. It has 2 parishes, with each a
Congregational church. It has 3 stores, cap. $2,600; 1 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,036 sp., 1 tannery, 2 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,400. 9 sch. 345 scholars. Pop.
Lisbon, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 10 w. Canton, 218 n. n.
w. Albany, 485 W. The surface is undulating; soil, fertile loam.
Drained by Grass r. St. Lawrence r. bounds it on the n. w. It
has 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,360. 23 sch. 796 scholars. Pop.
Lisbon, p-v., Anne Arundel co., Md., 56 n. w. Annapolis, 60 W.
Lisbon, p-o., Clermont co., O., 109 s. w. Columbus, 480 W.
Lisbon, p-v., Bedford co., Va., 150 w. by s. Richmond, 225 W.
Lisbon, p-v., La Salle co., HI., 154 n. It e. Springfield, 772
Lisbon, v., capital of Calcasieu par., La. Situated on the e.
side of Calcasieu r. It contains 1 store.
Lisburn, p-v., Cumberland co., Pa., 9 s. w. Harrisburg, 107 W.
Situated on Yellow Breeches cr.
Lisburn, p-v., Sampson co., N. C, 113 s. s. e Raleigh, 343 W.
Lisle, pt.. Broome co., N. Y., 133 w s. w Albany, 310 W. The
surface is undulating; soil clay and sandy loam. Drained by
Toughnioga r. and its tributaries. It has 6 stores, cap $17,000;
2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,150. 11 sch. 542 scholars. Pop. 1,560.
Lisle, p-v., Gasconade co., Mo., 10 s. E. Jefferson city, 926 W.
Liston, p-o., Wabash co., Ia.
Litchfield, county, Ct. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 835 sq. ms. The surface is
elevated, and in some parts mountainous; soil, generally
gravelly loam, and fertile. Watered by Housatonic r. and its
branches, and branches of Naugatuck and Farmington rivers, which
afford extensive water power. Iron ore is found in Salisbury and
Kent, and extensively manufactured. Capital, Litchfield. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 52,749, sheep 119,990, swine 30,421;
wheat 23,574 bush, produced, rye 128,143, Ind. corn 219,278,
buckwheat 59,625, oats 316,687, potatoes 568,880, silk cocoons
755 pounds, sugar 42,354; 131 stores, cap. $576,930; 14
furnaces, 36 forges, cap. employed $413,500; 34 fulling m., 18
woolen fac, 5 cotton fac. 6,334 sp., 49 tanneries, 6
distilleries, 49 grist m., 139 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 paper fac, 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$994,247. 12 acad. 480 students, 282 sch. 9,667 scholars. Pop.
Litchfield, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 11 s. s. w. Augusta, 534 W.
Watered by branches of, Cobbeseconte r., which runs on its n. e.
border, proceeding from a large pond in the n. w. part of the t.
The soil is fertile. It has 6 stores, cap. $6,600; 3 grist m.,
2sawm. Cap. in manufac. $3,558. 17 sch. 952 scholars. Pop.
Litchfield, t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 30 s. by e. Concord.
Situated on the e. side of Merrimac r., across which are 2
ferries. The soil is fertile. Organized in 1734. It has 2
stores, cap. $15,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,495. 5 sch. 161 scholars. Pop. 480.
Litchfield, p-t., capital of Litchfield co., Ct., 100 n. N. e.
New York, 32 w. Hartford, 326 W. The surface is uneven; soil, a
strong gravelly loam, well adapted to grazing. Incorporated in
1724. Watered by head branches of Shepaug and Naugatuck rivers,
which afford water power. In its s. w. part is the largest pond
in the state, containing 900 acres. The v. is pleasantly
situated on the summit of a hill, principally built on streets,
crossing each other at right angles, at the intersection of
which is a handsome square, it contains a neat court house,
jail, 1 Congregational and 1 Episcopal church, a female academy,
one of the oldest, and long the most celebrated in the state, a
branch of the Phoenix Bank of Hartford, 2 printing offices, 80
dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants. A law school was
established here in 1784, by Hon. Tapping Reeve, with whom was
afterwards associated the Hon. James Gould, which was long the
most celebrated in the United States, and which has been
discontinued since the death of its distinguished conductors.
Many of the principal civilians in the United States have been
educated at this school, The v. was incorporated in 1718. There
are several other parishes in the t., with villages and
churches. South Farms, in the s. part of the t., contains a
Congregational church and an academy. There are in the t., 21
stores, cap. $67,000; fulling m., 5 woolen fac, 6 tanneries, 1
forge, 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 6
grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $57,550. 3 acad.
65 students, 31 sch. 940 scholars. Pop. 4,038.
Litchfield, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 83 w. w. Albany, 337 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, calcareous loam. Watered by head
branch of Unadilla r., and other streams, flowing into Mohawk r.
It has 4 stores, cap. $11,000; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2
grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $69,275. 11 sch. 455
scholars. Pop. 672.
Litchfield, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 156 n. Harrisburg, 266 VV.
The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Watered by branches
of Wepassining creek. It has 1 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $7,420. 5 sch. 215 scholars. Pop. 817.
Litchfield, p-t., Medina co., O., 113 n. e. by N. Columbus, 360
W. It has 2 stores, capital $3,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac $8,300. 6 sch. 245 scholars. Pop. 787.
Litchfield, p-t., Hillsdale co., Mich. The soil is fertile, well
adapted to grain. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 3
sch. 112 scholars. Pop. 691.
Litchfield, p-v., capital of Grayson co., Ky., 109 s. w. by w.
Frankfort, 651 W. It contains a courthouse and several
Litchfield Corners, p-o., Kennebec co., Me., 15 s. by w.
Augusta, 530 W.
Lithgow, p-o., Washington t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 75 s. Albany,
Lithopolis, p-v., Bloom t., Fairfield co., O., 17 s. E.
Columbus, 388 W. Situated on elevated ground, and contains 1
church, 6 stores, 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Litiz, p-v., Warwick t., Lancaster co., Pa., 45 e. by s.
Harrisburg, 119 W. Settled by Moravians, and contains 1 church,
several stores, a seminary for young ladies, and about 80
Little Beaver, t., Beaver co., Pa. The surface is rolling; soil,
a fertile calcareous loam. Drained by a branch of Little Beaver
cr. It has 6 stores, cap. $23,720; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4
tanneries, 1 pottery, 4 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$38,550. 7 sch. 244 scholars. Pop. 1,254.
Little Beaver Bridge, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 161 n. e. by e.
Columbus, 268 W.
Little Blue River, p-o., Shelby co., Ia., 36 s. e. Indianapolis,
Little Britain, p-o., Hamptonburg t., Orange co., N. Y., 98 s.
by w. Albany, 236 W.
Little Britain, t., Lancaster co., Pa., 20 s. e. Lancaster. The
surface is undulating; soil, clay. Watered by Octarara cr. and
its branches, and Conewango cr. It has 10 stores, cap. $24,500;
1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 5 tanneries, 8 flouring m., 9 grist
m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac $39,400. 9 sch. 360 scholars. Pop.
Little Cahaba, p-o., Jefferson co., Ala., 75 n. e. Tuscaloosa,
Little Compton, p-t., Newport co., R. I., 38 s. s. e.
Providence. Situated at the e. entrance of Narraganset bay,
having the Atlantic on the s. The surface is diversified; soil,
a fertile loam. Settled in 1674. It has a Congregationalist and
a Friends church, 6 stores, cap. $21,700; 1 tannery. Cap. in
manufac. $1,500. 7 sch. 144 scholars. Pop. 1,327.
Little Creek, h., Kent co., Del. It has 6 stores, cap. $11,800;
1 lumber yard, cap. $300; Cap. in manufac. $2,750. 3 sch. 224
scholars. Pop. 2,050.
Little Creek, h., Sussex co., Del. It has 13 stores, cap.
$25,700; 1 forge, 4 tanneries, 11 grist m., 23 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $23,925. 1 acad. 53 students, 10 sch. 274 scholars.
Little Chucky, p-o., Greene co., Tenn.
Little Crossings, p-o., Alleghany co., Md., 189 w. n. w.
Annapolis, 157 W.
Little Falls, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 91 w. n. w. Albany, 390
W. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, sandy and
argillaceous loam. Fine quartz crystals are found here. Watered
by Mohawk r., on the s. side of which runs the Erie Canal, and
on the n. side, the Utica and Schenectady railroad. The v. is
situated on both sides of the Mohawk r., in a most romantic
situation, and contains 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal,
1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, an academy, 2
printing offices, 1 bank, 30 stores and groceries, 1 woolen fac,
3 paper m., 3 flouring m., 2 plaster m., 1 trip hammer works, 4
furnaces, 1 machine shop, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 1 fulling m.,
and 1 sash fac. The river here has a fall of 42 feet in half a
mile, affording great water power. The Erie Canal has a feeder,
which crosses the r. in a fine aqueduct, 214 feet long and 16
wide, with walls 14 feet high, upheld by one arch of 70 feet
span, and two others of 50 feet each. The canal passed the brow
of a mountain here, which reached to the border of the r., by
expensive digging and embankment. In widening the canal, more
ample room is obtained by occupying a part of the bed of the r.,
between an island and the s. bank. There are in the t., 34
stores, cap. $88,500; 3 furnaces, 2 forges, 1 fulling m., 4
tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 3 paper fac, 2 printing
offices, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 periodical, 1 flouring m., 2
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $166,850. 8 sch. 810
scholars. Pop. 3,881.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!