American History and Genealogy Project

Little Falls, NJ to Locust Mount, TN

Page 350

Little Falls, p-v., Passaic co., N. J., 79 n. e. by n. Trenton, 245 W. The Passaic r. here has a fall of 33 feet, affording a great water power. It contains 4 stores, 2 cotton fac. with 2,400 sp., 1 grist m., 3 saw mills, and about 50 dwellings. The Morris canal here crosses the r. by an aqueduct.

Little Fort, p-v., capital of Lake co., Ill. It is situated on the w. shore of Lake Michigan.

Little Genesee, p-o., Genesee t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 288 vv. by s. Albany, 309 W.

Little Gunpowder, p-o., Baltimore co., Md., 46 n. by e. Annapolis, 56 W.

Little Hockhocking, p-o., Decatur t., Washington co, O., 107 e. s. e. Columbus, 314 W.

Little Level, p-o., Pocahontas co., Va., 217 w. n. w. Richmond, 252 W.

Little Mahanoy, t., Northumberland co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $1,700; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,300. 1 sch. 38 scholars. Pop. 213.

Little Marsh, p-o., Tioga co., Pa., 160 n. by w. Harrisburg, 274 W.

Little Meadows, p-o., Susquehanna co , Pa., 199 n. n. e. Harrisburg, 289 W.

Little Mill Creek, p-o., Delaware co., O., 36 N. Columbus, 420 W.

Little Muddy, p-o., Franklin co., Ill., 154 s. s. E. Springfield, 826 W.

Little Osage, p-o., Bates co., Mo., 158 w. s. w. Jefferson City, 1,094 W. Situated at the junction of Little Osage and Marmetou rivers.

Little Piney, p-o., Pulaski co., Mo., 90 s. Jefferson City, 965 W. Situated at the junction of Little Piney with Gasconade r.

Little Plymouth, p-v., King and Queen co., Va., 60 e. by n. Richmond, 148 W. It contains 2 stores, a female seminary, 2 coach fac, 8 dwellings, and about 60 inhabitants.

Little Prairie, p-o., Crawford co., Mo., 73 s. e. Jefferson City, 945 W.

Little Prairie, t., New Madrid co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 436.

Little Prairie Ronde, p-o., Cass co., Mich., 166 w. by s. Detroit, 623 W. Little, r., forms part of the boundary between N. C. and S. C, and runs into the Pedee.

Little, r., Ga., flows into the Savannah, 30 ms. above Augusta.

Little, r., Ky. runs into the e. side of Cumberland r.

Little, r., Ia., flows into the Wabash above Vincennes.

Little River, p-o., Caldwell co., N. C, 172 w. Raleigh, 410 W.

Little River, p-o., Horry dist., S. C, 224 e Columbia, 440 W.

Little River, p-o., Columbia co., Florida.

Little River Village, p-o., Lincoln co., Me., 25 s. Augusta, 570 W.

Little Rock, city, and capital of Pulaski co., and of the state of Arkansas, 1,065 Washington City. Situated on the s. bank of Arkansas r., 300 ms. above its mouth, by the course of the r. It is situated on a high rocky bluff, from 150 U) 200 feet above the r., and is the first place in which rocks occur above its mouth. It is regularly laid out, and contains a state house, court house, jail, 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, 2 banking houses, a theatre, an academy, a U. S. arsenal, a U. S. land office, a penitentiary, 21 stores, 2 steam saw and grist ra., 2 printing offices, 500 dwellings, and 2,500 inhabitants. First settled in 1820.

Little Rock, p-o., Kane co., Ill., 192 n. n. e Springfield, 769 W.

Little Sandusky, p-v., Pitt t., Crawford co., O., 56 n. Columbus, 419 W. Situated on Little Sandusky cr., one mile above its entrance into Sandusky r. It contains 3 stores, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.

Little Sodus, p-o., Sterling t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 181 w. by n. Albany, 364 W.

Littlestown, p-v., Adams co., Pa., 42 s. n Harrisburg, 77 W.

Littleton, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 83 n. n w. Concord, 544 W. Situated on the e. side of Connecticut r., which, opposite to the t., passes down the rapids, denominated Fifteen Mile fells extending to Bath. These rapids are impassable by boats. There are 3 bridges over the Connecticut here. Ammonoosuck r. passes through the s. e. part of the t. Incorporated in 1784. The v. is situated at the falls on this r. The t has 4 stores, cap. $19,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m. 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,100.

Littleton, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 26 w n. w. Boston, 426 W. Stony r., a branch of Merrimac r., runs on its n. w. border, and in the part are 2 considerable ponds. Watered by Beaver branch of Concord r. Incorporated in 1715. The soil is tolerably fertile. It has stores, cap. $6,500; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,800. 6 sch. 303 scholars. Pop. 927.

Littleton, p-o., Sussex co., Va., 53 s. by l Richmond, 172 W.

Littleton, p-v., Halifax co., N. C, 78 n. by e. Raleigh, 210 W.

Little Valley, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y. 300 w. by s. Albany, 342 W. The surface hilly and broken; soil, various. Watered b Alleghany r. and its branches. It has 3 store cap. $7,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 7 saw r. Cap. in manufac. $20,502. 4 sch. 205 scholar Pop. 700.

Littleville, v., Avon t, Livingston co., N. Y. It contains 1 Congregational church, 1 store, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 20 dwellings, and about 100 inhabitants.

Little Yadkin, p-o., Stokes co., N. C, 137 w. n. w. Raleigh, 330 W.

Little Yadkin, r. (See Yadkin r.)

Little York, p-o., Homer t., Cortland co., Y., 134 w. Albany, 321 W.

Little York, p-o., Hunterdon co., N. J.

Page 351

Little York, p-o., Butler t, Montgomery co., O., 75 w. by s. Columbus, 468 W.

Little York, p-o., Washington co., Ia., 89 s. Indianapolis, 594 W.

Little York, p-o., Warren co., Ill., 131 n. w. Springfield, 861 W.

Litwalton, p-o., Lancaster co., Va.

Lively, p-o., St. Clair co., Ill., 113 s. Springfield, 822 W.

Livermore, pt, Oxford co., Me., 30 w. Augusta, 596 W. Situated on both sides of Androscoggin r., which affords water power. Incorporated in 1715. It has villages on the r. It contains 9 stores, cap. $13,000; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 15,050. 22 sch. 1,146 scholars. Pop. 2,745.

Livermore, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa., 176 w. Harrisburg, 204 W.

Livermore, p-o., Ohio co., Ky., 169 w. s. w. Frankfort, 711 W.

Livermore Centre, p-o., Livermore t., Oxford co., Me., 24 w. Augusta, 600 W.

Livermore Falls, p-o., Livermore t., Oxford o., Me., 26 w. Augusta, 604 W.

Liverpool, p-v., Salina t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 136 w. by N. Albany, 353 W. Situated on Onondaga lake, and contains 1 church, 10 stores, 50 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants. It has saline springs belonging to the state, which reduced in 1840, 802,954 bushels of fine salt. The Oswego canal passes through the place.

Liverpool, p-b., and t., Perry co., Pa., 29 n. by w. Harrisburg, 139 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravel and slate on the hills, and calcareous loam in the valleys. Susquehanna r. bounds it on the e. The v. is situated at the mouth of a r., on the w. bank of the Susquehanna r., where are extensive iron works, and contains 4 stores, sch. 103 scholars, and 451 inhabitants. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $9,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 6 flouring., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,188. 5 sch. 198 scholars. Pop. 763.

Liverpool, t., Columbiana co., O. It has 5 sch. 151 scholars. Pop. 1,096.

Liverpool, p-t., Medina co., O., 125 n. e. by Columbus, 356 W. It has a fertile soil. Watered by Rocky r. and its branches. It contains several churches. It has a sulphur spring, a rich petroleum spring, salt springs, and iron ore. There are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $3,500; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 3 saw. Cap. in manufac. $4,900. 3 sch. 126 scholars Pop. 1,500.

Liverpool, p-v., Lake co., Ia., 162 n. n. w. Indianapolis, 706 W. Situated on the s. side of Deep r., a branch of Calumic r.

Livingston, county, N. Y. Situated central toward the w. part of the state, and contains 9 sq. ms. Drained by Genesee r. and Canaseraga cr. The soil is fertile, particularly on the streams. Gypsum and bog iron ore are found, and salt and sulphur springs. The latter, at Avon, are particularly celebrated. Capital, Geneseo. There were in 1840, neat cattle 29,849, sheep 163,335, swine 37,856; wheat 823,050 bush, produced, rye 3,624, Ind. corn 184,730, buckwheat 26,488, barley 84,276, oats 305,619, potatoes 348,369, sugar 119,433 pounds; 121 stores, cap. 446,120; 12 furnaces, 14 fulling m., 4 woolen 2 rope fac, 13 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 2 breweries, 1 pottery, 6 flouring m., 26 grist m., 66 saw m., 1 oil m., 4 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac $515,051. 6 acad. 782 students, 178 sch. t scholars. Pop. 35,140.

Livingston, Parish, La. Situated toward the s. e. part of the state, and contains 730 sq. ms Amite r. runs on its w. and s. border into Lake Maurepas, which lies on its s. border. Lake Pontchartrain lies on its s. e. border. Watered by small rivers, which enter those lakes. Capital, Springfield. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,361, sheep 823, swine 10,373; Ind. corn 36,712 bush, produced, oats 1,500, potatoes 20,497, rice 83,930 pounds, cotton 250,445; 4 stores, cap. $12,000; 1 tannery, 12 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,520. 1 acad. 60 students, 1 sch. 71 scholars. Pop. whites 1,533, slaves 739, free col'd 43; total, 2,315.

Livingston, County, Ky. Situated in the N. part of the state, and contains 330 sq. ms. Ohio r. runs on its w. border, Tennessee r. on its s. w. border, where it enters the Ohio. Cumberland r. passes through it, and here enters the Ohio. The surface is level or moderately uneven; soil, fertile. Capital, Smithland. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,284, sheep 7,623, swine 29,035; wheat 27,748 bush, produced, Ind. corn 421,415, oats 50,140, potatoes 10,695, tobacco 1,222,500 pounds; 1 forge; 19 stores, cap. $103,600; 3 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 9 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,650. 2 acad. 63 students, 10 sch. 261 scholars. Pop. whites 7,338, slaves 1,588, free col'd 99; total, 9,025.

Livingston, County, Mich. Situated centrally toward the e. part of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Drained by Shiawassee r. on the n., Cedar r. on the w., and Huron r. s. Surface, gently undulating; soil, very fertile. Iron ore is found in the s. e. part, and salines near the centre. Capital, Howell. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,931, sheep 1,903, swine 10,952; wheat 84,943 bush, produced, Ind. corn 82,081, buckwheat 7,757, barley 3,623, oats 77,943, potatoes 93,647; 12 stores, cap. $62,500; 3 flouring m., 5 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $36,200. 69 sch. 1,777 scholars. Pop. 7,430.

Livingston, County, Ill. Situated n. e. of the centre of the state, and contains 1,026 sq. ms. Drained by Vermilion r. and its branches. The surface is gently undulating; soil, fertile. Capital, Pontiac. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,015, sheep 1,112, swine 4,238; wheat 13,014 bush, produced, Ind. corn 55,865, oats 14,920, potatoes 3,576, sugar 10,591 pounds; 1 store, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,900. 3 sch. 44 scholars. Population, 759.

Livingston, County, Mo. Situated toward the n. w. part of the state, and contains 510 sq. ms. The surface is level; soil, very fertile. Watered by Grand r. and its branches. Capital, Chilicothe. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,639, sheep 1,833, swine 17,925; wheat 1,768 bush, produced, Ind. corn 135,598, oats 4,699, potatoes 3,587; 13 stores, cap. $29,000; 5 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. whites 4,082, slaves 241, free col'd 2; total, 4,325.

Livingston, p-t., Columbia co., N. Y., 37 s. Albany, 334 W. The surface is diversified; soil, clay, loam, and gravel. Drained by Ancram or Roeliff Jansen's cr., flowing into the Hudson, which bounds it on the w. It has 6 stores, cap. $6,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 furnaces, 4 flouring m., 4 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $37,100. 10 sch. 447 scholars. Pop. 2,190.

Livingston, p-t., Essex co., N. J., 9 n. w. Newark, 53 n. e. Trenton, 224 W. The surface is mountainous or rolling, excepting on the Passaic r., which flows on its w. border, where it is level. Watered by small branches of the Passaic. The village contains 1 store, and 10 or 12 dwellings. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $1,450; 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,515. 5 sch. 158 scholars. Pop. 1,081.

Page 352

Livingston, p-v., Livingston co., Mich., 46 w. n. w. Detroit, 539 W. Situated on Woodruff cr., a branch of Huron r., which affords extensive water power. It contains 2 stores, and a large flouring m. It has a fine healthy location, in the midst of a fertile country.

Livingston, p-v., capital of Sumpter co., Ala., 68 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 886 W. Situated on the N. side of Sucarnochee r. It has a court house, and several dwellings.

Livingston, p-v., Madison co., Ark.

Livingston, p-v., Madison co., Miss., 22 n. Jackson, 1,026 W.

Livingston, p-v., Overton co., Tenn., 96 e. by n. Nashville, 608 W.

Livingston, p-v., Clarke co., Ill., 127 e. s. e. Springfield, 657 W.

Livingstonville, p-v., Broome t., Schoharie co., N, Y., 42 w. Albany, 369 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 3 stores, 1 saw m., and 20 dwellings.

Livonia, p-t., Livingston co., N. Y., 8 e. Geneseo, 224 w. Albany, 353 W. The surface is rolling; soil, fertile. Drained by the outlet of Hemlock lake, which flows into Conesus Lake. It has 9 stores, cap. $21,800; 4 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $57,274. 1 acad. 140 students, 15 sch. 881 scholars. Pop. 2,719.

Livonia, p-t., Wayne co., Mich., 16 s. w. Detroit, 540 W. It has 1 store, cap. $5,000; 1 tannery, 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,485. 9 sch. 266 scholars. Pop. 1,169.

Livonia, p-v., Washington co., Ia., 104 s. Indianapolis, 615 W. It contains about 100 inhabitants.

Loag, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 62 e. by s. Harrisburg, 136 W.

Lobachsville, p-o., Berks co., Pa., 66 e. Harrisburg, 159 W.

Lobdell's Store, p-o., West Baton Rouge parish, La.

Location, p-o., Coweta co., Ga., 97 w. by n. Milledgeville, 719 W.

Lock, p-o., Knox co., O., 56 n. e. Columbus, 395 W.

Lockbourne, p-v., Hamilton t., Franklin co., O., 11 s. Columbus, 404 W.

Locke, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 20 s. Auburn, 155 w. Albany, 319 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by Owasco inlet. It has 4 stores, cap. $18,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,704; 12 sch. 516 scholars. Pop. 1,654.

Lock Berlin, p-o., Galen t., Wayne co., N. Y., 180 w. by n. Albany.

Locke's Mills, p-o., Oxford co., Me., 60 w. Augusta, 604 W.

Lockhart's Store, p-o., Holmes co., Miss., 71 N. Jackson, 938 W.

Lock Haven, p-v., capital of Clinton co., Pa., 107 n. w. by n. Harrisburg, 199 W. Situated on the s. side of the Susquehanna r. It contains a court house, four stores, and about 150 inhabitants.

Lockport, p-t., capital of Niagara co., N. Y., 277 w. by n. Albany, 402 W. The surface is equally divided by a terrace or range of hills, from which the streams flow n. to Lake Ontario, and s. into Tonawanda cr. The soil is a calcareous and sandy loam. The v., incorporated in 1827, is situated on the Erie canal, and contains a court house, jail, clerk's office, 12 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Congregational, 2 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Lutheran, 2 Friends, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 African, 2 banks, 2 female seminaries, 80 stores and groceries, 4 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 cotton fac. with 2,100 sp., 2 woolen fac, 9 saw m., 2 plough fac, 2 plaster m., 1 sash fac, 2 furnaces, 1 machine shop, 2 carriage fac, 2 tanneries, and 1 fanning m. and threshing machine fac, 800 dwellings, and about 6,500 inhabitants. An immense water power is here created by the surplus water of the Erie Canal, which here rises 60 feet, by 5 double locks. A railroad proceeds from this place to Niagara Falls and Buffalo. There are in the t. 1 commission house, cap. $500; 65 stores, Cap. $209,830; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 1 pottery, 1 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 5 flouring m., 9 grist m., 45 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac $268,010; 3 acad. 203 students, 29 sch. 2,579 scholars. Pop. 9,125.

Lockport, p-v., Erie co., Pa., 260 n. w. by w. Harrisburg, 333 W.

Lockport, p-v., Williams co., O., 170 n. w. Columbus, 501 W. Situated on the w. side of Tiffins r.

Lockport, p-v., Wilson co., Term., 40 e. by n. Nashville, 655 W. Situated on the s. bank of Cumberland r.

Lockport, p-v., Carroll co., Ia., 80 n. n w. Indianapolis, 622 W. Situated on the n. side of Wabash r.

Lockport, p-v., Will co., Ill., 170 n. e. by n. Springfield, 747 W. Situated on the Illinois and Michigan canal, at the termination of the lake level, 34½ ms. from Chicago, where the canal has a fall, by 2 locks of 10 feet each, affording an extensive water power, by the surplus water of the canal from Lake Michigan. The Des Plaines r. has a fall in the vicinity of 15 feet. The facilities for manufacturing are very great.

Lockride, p-o., Jefferson co., Iowa.

Lock's Village, p-v., Franklin co., Mass., 79 w. by n. Boston, 402 W.

Lockwood, p-v., Byram t., Sussex co., N. J., 62 n. Trenton, 232 W. Situated on Lubber run.

Locust Creek, p-o., Louisa co., Va., 33 n. w. Richmond, 97 W.

Locust Creek, I., Linn co., Mo. Pop. 694.

Locust Dale, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa.. 205 w. Harrisburg, 225 W.

Locust Dale, p-o., Madison co., Va., 92 n. W. Richmond, 94 W.

Locust Forest, p-o., Butler co., Ky., 151 s. w. Frankfort, 683 W.

Locust Fork, p-o., Blount co., Ala., 85 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 749 W.

Locust Grove, p-o., Orange co., Va., 82 n. w. Richmond, 76 W.

Locust Grove, p-o., Burke co., N. C, 217 w. Raleigh, 447 W.

Locust Grove, p-o., Henry co., Ga., 65 w. n. w. Milledgeville, 670 W.

Locust Grove, p-o., Calloway co., Ky.

Locust Grove, p-o., Weakly co., Tenn., 132 w. Nashville, 818 W.

Locust Grove, p-o., Adams co., O.. 90 s. by w. Columbus, 427 W.

Locust Lane, p-o., Fayette co., Va., 253 w Richmond, 290 W.

Locust Hill, p-o., Washington co., Pa., 21 w. Harrisburg, 241 W.

Locust Mills, p-o., Bracken co.. Ky. 79 n. e. Frankfort, 493 W.

Locust Mount, p-o., Accomack co., Va.

Locust Mount, p-o., Washington co., Tenn 279 e. Nashville, 419 W.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work