Loudonville, OH to Lower Salem, OH
Loudonville, p-v., Hanover t., Richland co., O., 73 n. n. e.
Columbus, 363 W. Situated on the Black fork of Mohiccan cr., and
contains 4 stores, and about 150 inhabitants.
Loudsville, p-v., Habersham co., Ga., 159 n. Milledgeville, 615
W. Situated near the source of Chestatee r., in the gold region.
Louisa, County, Va. Situated centrally in the
E. part of the state, and contains 570 sq. miles. Watered by
North and South Anna rs. and their branches. Capital, Louisa C.
H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,726, sheep 12,711, swine
20,133; wheat 220,748 bush, produced, rye 899, buckwheat 43,
oats 158,131, potatoes 15,325, tobacco 2,430,764 pounds, cotton
19,129; value of gold produced, $3,000; 30 stores, cap.
$111,152; 11 tanneries, 3 flouring m., 25 grist m., 16 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $69,610. 39 sch. 591 scholars. Pop. whites
6,047, slaves 9,010, free colored 376; total, 15,433.
Louisa, County, Iowa. Situated toward the s. e.
part of the ter., and contains 442 sq. ms. Mississippi r. runs
on its e. border. Drained by Iowa r. and its tributaries, which
afford water power. The soil is very fertile, particularly on
the rivers. Capital, Wappello. There were in 1840, neat cattle
2,060, sheep 620, swine 6,813; wheat 10,553 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 82,625, oats 15,725, potatoes 6,135; 3 saw m. Pop. 1,927.
Louisa, p-v., capital of Lawrence co., Ky., 158 e. Frankfort,
436 W. Situated on the w. side of Big Sandy River, and contains
a court house and several dwellings.
Louisa, C. H., p-v., capital of Louisa co., Va., 60 n. w.
Richmond, 103 W. It contains a court house, and a few dwellings.
Louisburg, p-v., capital of Franklin co, N. C, 36 n. e. Raleigh,
262 W. Situated on n. side of Tar r. It contains a court house,
jail, 2 churches, 10 stores, and about 500 inhabitants.
State of Louisiana
Louisiana, p-v., Pike co., Mo., 83 n. e.
Jefferson City, 868 W. Situated on the w. bank of Mississippi
r., 2 ms. below the entrance of Salt r.
Louisville, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 253 n. n. w. Albany,
523 W. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile calcareous
loam. Watered by Grass r., and the St. Lawrence r., which bounds
it on the n. w. Several islands in the St. Lawrence belong to
it. It has 2 stores, cap. $12,000; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $15,000. 11 sch. 391 scholars. Pop. 1,693.
Louisville, p-v., Westmoreland co., Va., 6 N. E. Richmond, 111
Louisville, p-v., capital of Jefferson co., Ga 53 e.
Milledgeville, 634 W. Situated on Rock Comfort cr., just above
its entrance into the Ogechee r. It contains a court house,
jail, a church an academy, 9 stores, and 27 dwellings. The state
legislature met here from 1835 to 1837; and here the famous
Yazoo Acts were hurried by sunglass, Feb. 13th, 1796. The state
house has been converted into a court house.
Louisville, p-v., Barbour co., Ala., 187 s. e. , Tuscaloosa 836
W. It contains a few dwellings.
Louisville, p-v., capital of Winston co., Miss., 92 n. e.
Jackson, 918 W. Situated on the head waters of Pearl r. It
contains 2 churches, a court house, 2 academies, and 175
Louisville, p.v., Blount co., Tenn., 153 e. by s. Nashville, 436
W. Situated on the s. e. side f Tennessee r.
Louisville, city, port of entry, and capital of Jefferson co.,
Ky., 54 w. Frankfort, 596 W. Skated on the s. side of Ohio r.,
at the head of the rapids, 38° 8' N. lat., and 85° 26' w. Ion.,
120 ms. below Cincinnati. Pop. in 1783, 30; in 1800, 600; 1
1810, 1,357; in 1820, 4,012; in 1830, 10,336; in 340, 21,210.
The Ohio r. is here 1 mile and 25 rods wide, and the ground
rises by a gentle slope from the water's edge to an elevation of
70 feet, here is a beautiful plain. Bear-grass cr. enters its n.
part, and forms a good harbor. Incorporated as a city in 1828.
It is regularly laid out, ith 8 broad and straight streets,
parallel with the r., crossed by 18 others at right angles,
making the city 3 miles long, and about 1 mile wide, is
generally built of brick, with many large ores and warehouses,
and many fine dwellings, contains a court house, jail, 2 market
houses, museum, a marine hospital, an asylum, and several other
humane and benevolent institutions, 4 banks, including a bank
for savings, 12 churches 4 Presbyterian, 3 Methodist, 2 Baptist,
1 Episcopal, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 African and several other
places of worship, 375 stores and groceries, several printing
offices, issuing 3 daily newspapers, about 2,500 dwellings. It
has convenient landings, and many steamboats are continually in
port, or arriving and departing. It has flouring m., producing
400 barrels of flour daily, several large iron foundries, and
woolen and other manufactories. The goods and manufactured
articles sold annually, amount to about 29,000,000. Around the
rapids at this place, which are not navigable at low water for
large boats, a canal has been constructed, 2½ ms. long, with 4
locks, which cost $730,000, overcoming a fall of 22 feet. At the
lower end of the canal is the villages of Shipping Port, and
Portland. The city government consists of a mayor and 10
aldermen, 2 from each of the 5 wards. The Ohio Bridge Company is
constructing a bridge across Ohio, over the shoals above Corn
Island. There were in 1840, 1 commercial and 11 common houses in
for trade, cap. $191,800; 270 retail drygoods and other stores,
cap. $2,128,400; lumber yards, cap. $52,000; 2 tanneries, 2
breweries, 1 glass cutting estab., 1 pottery, 2 rope fac, 2
flouring m., 3 saw m., 1 paper fac, 7 printing offices, 2
binderies, 5 daily, 7 weekly, and 3semi-weekly newspapers, and 1
periodical, 200 brick and stone and 60 wooden houses built,
employing 269 persons, at a cost of $260,250. Total capital
employed in manufactures, $713,675. 1 college, 80 students, 10
acad. 269 students, 14 sch. 21 scholars.
Louisville, p-v., Stark co., O., 131 n. e. Columbus, 313 W.
Louisville, p-v., capital of Clay co., Ill., 112 Springfield,
Louisville, p-v., Lincoln co., Mo., 74 n. e. Jefferson City, 832
Loutre Island, p-o., Montgomery co., Mo., 4 5. n. e. Jefferson
City, 903 W.
Loutre, t., Audrain co., Mo. Pop. 169.
Lovelaceville, p-o., McCracken co., Ky., 296 w. s. w. Frankfort.
Lovelady, p-o., Caldwell co., N. C, 182 w. Raleigh, 419 W.
Lovell, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 63 w. s. w. Augusta, 578 W. It
contains a large pond, the outlet of which unites with the
outlet of another pond on its n. w. border, and enters the Saco
r. Incorporated in 1800. 8 small ponds on the borders of the t.,
connected together, have an outlet, which has a curious fall of
40 feet. It has 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $150. 10 sch. 410 scholars. Pop. 941.
Love's Mills, p-o., Washington co., Va., 285 w. by s. Richmond.
Lovettsville, p-v., Loudon co., Va., 166 n Richmond, 46 W.
Loveville, p-v., New Castle co., Del., 54 N. Dover, 103 W.
Lovingston, p-v., capital of Nelson co., Va., 105 w. by N.
Richmond, 157 W. It contains a court house, jail, and several
stores and dwellings.
Lovington, p-o., Macon co., Ill., 61 e. Springfield, 718 W.
Lowell, p-t., Penobscot co., Me. Incorporated in 1833. It was
formerly called Huntressville. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1
grist m.. 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,500. 2 sch. 70 scholars.
Lowell, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 45 n. Montpelier, 568 W.
Formerly called Kellyvale. Chartered in 1791. Missisque r. rises
in a pond on the s. border of the t., by which, and its
branches, it is drained, and which afford water power. The
surface is uneven, and the soil productive. It has 2 stores,
cap. $1,200; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,600. 6
sch. 149 scholars. Pop. 431.
Lowell City, MA
Lowell, p-o., Washington co., O., 96 e.
s. e. Columbus, 312 W.
Lowellville, p-v., Trumbull co., O., 184 n. e. Columbus, 297 W.
Lower, t., Cape May co., N. J. It is the most southern t. in the
state, bounded s. by the Atlantic, and w. by Delaware Bay. More
than half of it is covered with sea-beach and salt marsh; soil
of the remainder, clay. Drained by Pond, New England, and Cox
Hall creeks. Cape May, island and lighthouse, are in the t. It
has 6 stores, cap. $9,100; 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $200. 6
sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,133.
Lower Bartlett, p-o., Coos co., N. H., 74 N. n. e. Concord, 560
Lower Alloways Creek, t., Salem co., N. J., 9 s. Salem. The
surface is level, more than half of which is marsh meadow,
extensively embanked; soil on the e. a deep clay and loam, well
cultivated. Drained by Hope, Deep, and Muddy creeks, which flow
into the Delaware. It contains a Methodist and a Friends church.
It has 4 stores, cap. $4,800; 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,047. Pop. 1,252.
Lower Berne, p-o., Berne t., Berks co., Pa., 60 e. Harrisburg,
Lower Blue Lick, p-o., Nicholas co., Ky., 68 e. by n. Frankfort,
Lower Chanceford, p-t., York co., Pa., 51 s. s. e. Harrisburg,
91 W. Susquehanna r. bounds it on the e., and Muddy cr., a
branch of the Susquehanna, on the s. w. and s. Watered by Tom's
cr. and Orson's run. McCall's ferry here crosses the
Susquehanna. It has 4 stores, cap. $8,500; 1 woolen fac, 1
furnace, 1 forge, 1 tannery, 1 paper fac, 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $21,770. 5 sch. 125 scholars. Population 1,291.
Lower Chichester, t., Delaware co., Pa., 20 s. w. Philadelphia.
Watered by Hook cr., a. branch of Naaman's cr. The surface is
level; soil, loam. It has excellent apple orchards. It has 2
stores, cap. $2,600; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac.
14,056 sp., 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $90,700. 1 sch.
88 scholars. Pop. 666.
Lower Dublin, t., Philadelphia co., Pa. Surface, gentle
declivities; soil, sandy loam. Drained by Pennypack cr. and Saw
Mill run, which afford water power. It contains 3 Baptist, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Methodist church. It has 12 stores, cap.
$23,100; 1 lumber yard, cap. $5,000; 5 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $231,825.;5 acad. 235 students, 3 sch. 73 scholars.
Pop. J 3,298.
Lower Gilmanton, p-o., Gilmanton t., Belknap co., N. H., 18 n.
by e. Concord, 499 W. 1 Lower Kinzua, p-o., Warren co., Pa., 217
n. w. Harrisburg, 309.
Lower Macungy, t., Lehigh co., Pa. The surface is level; soil,
calcareous loam. It has 5 stores, cap. $24,000; 1 woolen fac, 1
tannery, 2 distilleries, 6 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $40,030. Pop. 2,156.
Lower Mahanoy, t., Northumberland co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap.
$1,200; 2 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 2 potteries, 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $7,325. 4 sch. 107 scholars. Pop. 1,199.
Lower Mahantango, p-t., Schuylkill co., Pa., 55 n. E.
Harrisburg, 165 W. Crossed by Broad and Sharp's mountains. Its
valleys are fertile; soil, red shale. Watered by Deep and
Swatara creeks. Anthracite coal is found. It has 4 stores, cap.
$10,000; 2 tanneries, 5 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$700. 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 1,465.
Lower Makefield, t., Bucks co., Pa., 24 n. e. Philadelphia. The
surface is rolling; soil, clay and sandy loam. Delaware canal
runs along its e. boundary. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,000; 1
lumber yard, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $16,750. 4 sch. 232 scholars. Pop. 1,550.
Lower Loutre, t., Montgomery co., Mo. Pop. 1,307.
Lower Marlborough, p-v., Calvert co.. Md., 41 s. w. Annapolis.
Lower Merion, pt, Montgomery co., Pa., 93 e. Harrisburg, 150 W.
Watered by Schuylkill r. and Mill and Cobb's creeks. The surface
is rolling; soil, a fertile loam. It has 9 stores, cap. $13,950;
2 lumber yards, cap. $6,500; 2 woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 1,532
sp., 7 paper fac, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$117,170. 6 sch. 734 scholars. Pop. 2,827.
Lower Middleton, b., Swatara t., Dauphin, co., Pa. Situated near
the junction of Swatara and Susquehanna rivers, and at the union
of the Pennsylvania and Union canals. It was incorporated in
1829, and contains 2 churches, 7 stores, and about 200
dwellings. 4 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 756.
Lower Mt. Bethel, t., Northampton co., Pa. It has 7 stores, cap.
$15,500; 5 tanneries, 1 powder m., 1 flouring m., 8 grist m., 8
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $45,360. 5 sch. 185 scholars. Pop.
Lower Nazareth, t., Northampton co., Pa. The surface is level;
soil, calcareous loam. Drained by Manookisy cr. It has 2 stores,
cap. $5,000; 2 lumber yards, cap. $2,000; 2 sch. 116 scholars.
Lower Oxford, t., Chester co., Pa., 41 s. w. Philadelphia. The
surface is gently uneven; soil, loam. Watered by branches of
Octarara and Elk creeks. The v., called Oxford, contains 1
Presbyterian church, 2 stores, and 15 or 20 dwellings. There are
in the t. 4 stores, cap. $9,000; 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 3
cotton fac. 2,500 sp., 1 tannery, 2 paper fac, 4 grist m., 6 saw
m., I oil m. Cap. in manufac. $53,125. 3 sch. 75 scholars. Pop.
Lower Peach Tree, p-o., Wilcox co., Ala., 115 s. Tuscaloosa, 907
Lower Paxton, t., Dauphin co., Pa., 6 n. e. Harrisburg. Watered
by Beaver and Paxton's creeks. Blue mountain runs on its n.
border. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $5,150. 1 sch. 45
scholars. Pop. 1,337.
Lower Penns Neck, N. J. (See Penns Neck, Lower.)
Lower Providence, t, Montgomery co., Pa. The surface is hilly;
soil, red shale. Drained by Perkiomen and Shippack creeks. Lead
ore is found on the former. It has 5 stores, cap. $21,500; 1
tannery, 1 flouring m., 7 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,646. 4 sch. 268 scholars. Pop. 1,413.
Lower Rock Island, p-o., Rock Island co., Ill., 165 n. n. w.
Springfield, 894 W.
Lower Salem, p-o., Salem t, Washington co., O., 114 E. 8. e.
Columbus, 302 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!