American History and Genealogy Project

Lower Salford, PA to Lysander, NY

Page 362

Lower Salford, t., Montgomery co., Pa., 25 N. w. Philadelphia. Drained by branches of Perkiomen and Shippack creeks. The surface is rolling; soil, red shale and loam. It has 4 stores, cap. $10,500; 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. §3,350. 5 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 1,141.

Lower Sandusky, p-v., Sandusky t., capital of Sandusky co., O., 105 n. Columbus, 423 VV. Situated on the w. bank of Sandusky r., which is navigable to this place for small steamboats. It contains a court house, 2 churches, 10 stores, 2 warehouses, 1 grist m and 1 saw m. Fort Stevenson was situated here, where Col. Croghan made a gallant defense, in the last war, against the British and Indians. The remains of it are still seen.

Lower Saucon, pt, Northampton co., Pa., 99 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 192 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravel and calcareous loam. Watered by Lehigh r. and Saucon cr. and its tributaries. Two bridges here cross the Lehigh. It contains the v. of Hellerstown. It has 5 stores, cap. $18,000; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 paper fac, 2 flouring m., 7 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $70,200. 7 sch. 350 scholars. Pop. 2,710.

Lower St. Clair, t., Alleghany co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. Monongahela and Ohio Rivers bound it on the N. Drained by Charter's cr. and Saw Mill run. Coal abounds on the bank of the r. It contains the v. of Birmingham, opposite to, and 1 mile below Pittsburg. It has 5 stores, cap. $13,800; 3 furnaces, 1 lumber yard, cap. $5,000; 1 tannery, 2 glass fac, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $72,200. 1 acad. 12 students, 12 sch. 600 scholars. Pop. 4,373.

Lower Swatara, t., Dauphin co., Pa., 5 s. e. Harrisburg. Susquehanna r. bounds it on the s. w. The surface is hilly; soil, calcareous loam and slate. Watered by Spring and other creeks. Harrisburg lies partly in this t. It has 3 stores, cap. $5,900; 4 lumber yards, cap. $31,000; 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,900. 2 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 1,253.

Lower Smithfield, t, Monroe co., Pa. It has 6 stores, cap. $11,000; 4 tanneries, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,500. Pop. 1,192.

Lower Three Runs, p-o., Barnwell dist., S. C, 128 s. Columbia, 621 W.

Lower Waterford, p-o., Caledonia co., Vt., 53 e. n. e. Montpelier, 543 W.

Lower Windsor, t., York co., Pa. It has 5 stores, cap. $11,100; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $35,015. 7 sch. 150 scholars. Pop. 1,687.

Lowe's, p-o., Robertson co., Tenn., 22 s. w. Nashville, 706 W.

Low Hill, p-t., Lehigh co., Pa., 88 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 181 W. Tlie surface is hilly; soil, white gravel. It contains a Lutheran church in its s. w. part. It has 4 stores, cap. $7,500; 1 tannery, 5 distilleries, 5 grist m., 4 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 4 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 851.

Low's Ferry, p-o., Natchitoches parish, La., 417 n. v,\ by w. New Orleans, 1,346 W.

Loweville, p-v., Madison co., Ala., 163 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 705 W. Situated on the e. side of Flint r.

Low Hampton, p-o., Hampton t., Washington CO., N. Y., 78 n. w. e. Albany, 448 W.

Lowman, p-o., Lewis co., Va., 307 w. n. w. Richmond, 2/6 W. Situated on Hughes' r., a branch of Little Kanawha, which is navigable for small vessels. Great quantities of lumber pass down the r.

Lowndes, County, Ga. Situated in the s. part of the state, and contains 2,080 sq. ms. Watered by Suwannee and Withlacooch.ee rivers. Capital, Troupsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 41,003, sheep 2,458, swine 20,349; wheat 2,333 bush, produced, Ind. corn 130,198, buckwheat 56,285, oats 1,172, potatoes 25,512, cotton 275,696 pounds; 5 stores, cap. $40,000; 1 distillery, 9 grist m., 5 saw m. 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop. whites 4,394, slaves 1,177, free col'd 3; total, 5,574.

Lowndes, County, Ala. Situated a little s. of the centre of the state, and contains 1,600 sq. ms. Alabama r. bounds it on the n., by branches of which it is watered. Capital, Haynesville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,750, sheep 801. swine 97,365; wheat 1,421 bush, produced, rye 1,736, Ind. corn 162,510, oats 11,113, potatoes 10,353, rice 4,743 pounds, cotton 803,932; 30 stores, cap. $129,300; 3 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $4,750. 4 acad. 247 students, 3 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. whites 6,956, slaves 12,569, free col'd 14; total, 19,539.

Lowndes, County, Miss. Situated in the e. part of the state, and contains 324 sq. ms. Drained by Tombigbee r. and its branches. Surface undulating; soil, fertile. Capital, Columbus. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,960, sheep 3,669, swine 29,463; wheat 13,663 bush, produced, Ind. corn 575,140, oats 39,915, potatoes 3,100, cotton 7,153,056 pounds; 20 stores, cap. $190,000; 10 tanneries, 9 grist m., 8 saw m., 17 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $36,600; 1 college, 54 students, 2 acad. 75 students, 8 sch. 221 scholars. Pop. whites 5,730, slaves 8,771, free col'd 12; total, 14,513.

Lowndes, p-o., Wayne co., Mo., 209 s. f. Jefferson City, 920 W.

Lowndesborough, p-v., Lowndes co., Ala., 118 s. e. by s. Tuscaloosa, 853 W.

Lowndesville, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C, 113 w. Columbia, 550 W.

Lowrance's Mill, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 166 w. Raleigh, 403 W.

Lowther's Run, p-o., Lewis co., Va., 299 w. n. w. Richmond, 267 W.

Lowville, p-t., Lewis co., N. Y., 137 n. w. Albany, 436 W. The surface is rolling; soil very fertile, particularly on Black r., which bounds it on the e. The v. contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, an academy, a bank, 7 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 100 dwellings, and about 650 inhabitants. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $1 1,800; 1 fulling ni , 8 saw m., 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 3 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $23,465. 16 sch. 601 scholars. Pop. 2,047.

Lloyd's, p-o., Essex co., Va., 54 n. e. Richmond, 93 W.

Loyalhannah, t., Westmoreland co., Pa. It has 8 sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,130.

Loyalsock, t., Lycoming co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $39,500. 5 sch. 145 scholars. Pop. 1,107.

Loyalsock, r., Pa., rises in Bradford co., and falls into the w. branch of Susquehanna r., 4 ms. below Williamsport.

Loydsville, p-v., Belmont co., O., 109 e. Columbus, 284 W.

Loysburg, p-o., Bedford co., Pa., 109 w. by 8. Harrisburg, 135 W.

Loy's Cross Roads, p-o., Anderson co., Tenn, 191 e. Nashville, 500 W.

Page 363

Lubec, p-t., and port of entry, Washington co., Me., 180 e. n. e. Augusta, 766 W. Situated at the w. entrance of Passamaquoddy bay, where is a lighthouse, on a point of land. It has a good harbor, protected by Grand Menan Island. It has a number of bays and entrances, and some islands. The soil is fertile. It has 13 stores, cap. $38,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $91,517. 12 sch. 847 scholars. Pop. 2,307.

Lucas, County, O. Situated in the N. w. part of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Maumee r. runs on its s. e. border. Watered by St. Joseph's r. and Bear cr. The surface is level; soil, fertile. Capital, Toledo. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,597, sheep 3,103, swine 18,331; wheat 103,838 bush, produced, rye 5,245, Ind. corn 154,017, buckwheat 13,968, barley 59,922, oats 62,444, potatoes 122,904, sugar 14,061 pounds; 6 commission houses, cap. $26,350; 41 stores, cap. $37,115; 1 brewery, 5 grist m., 19 saw m., 3 printing offices. Cap. in manufac. $74,365 . 43 sch. 1,151 scholars. Population, 9,332.

Lucasville, p-t., Jefferson t., Scioto co., O., 78 s. Columbus, 412 W.

Lucerne, p-o., Washtenaw co., Mich., 33 w. Detroit. 542 W.

Lucksville, p-o., Hall co., Ga., 124 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 627 W.

Lucy's Creek, p-o., Gasconade co., Mo., 22 E. Jefferson City, 914 W.

Ludlow, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 80 s. Montpelier, 472 W. Chartered in 1761. The surface is mountainous; soil adapted to grazing. Watered by Black r., on which is a pleasant v., containing a church, several stores, and 30 or 40 dwellings. The Congregationalists, Baptists, and Methodists have churches in the t. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. 810,500; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,260. 1 acad. 130 students, 16 sch. 488 scholars. Pop. 1,363.

Ludlow, p-t., Hampden co., Mass., 82 w. by s. Boston, 373 W. Watered by Chickapee r., which affords water power. Incorporated in 1774. It has 1 store, cap. 82,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,000. 10 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 1,263.

Ludlowville, p-v., Lansing t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 172 w. by s. Albany, 305 W. Situated on Salmon cr., where is a fall of nearly 100 feet. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 4 stores, 2 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 clothier's works, 1 tannery, 90 dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants.

Lumber City, p-v., Telfair co., Ga., 133 s. by E. Milledgeville, 750 W.

Lumber, t., Clinton co., Pa. It has 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. Pop. 105.

Lumberland, p-t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 129 s. w. Albany, 287 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam, timbered with oak and pine. Drained by Mongoup r. and other branches of Delaware r., which runs on its s. w. border. It has 9 stores, cap. $4,510; 3 grist m., 39 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $69,200. 4 sch. 272 scholars. Pop. 1,205.

Lumberport, p-v., Harrison co., Va., 261 n. w. Richmond, 221 W.

Lumber, r., N. C. and S. C., a n. e. branch of Little Pedee r., which it enters on the boundary between Marion and Horry districts.

Lumberton, p-v., Clinton co., O., 74 s. w. Columbus, 453 W.

Lumberton, p-v., capital of Robeson co., N.J C., 91 s. by w. Raleigh 379 W. Situated on the e. bank of Lumber r. It contains a court house, jail, and several stores and dwellings.

Lumberville, p-v., Solebury t., Bucks co. Pa., 117 e. Harrisburg, 179 W. Situated on the w. bank of Delaware r., and contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., and 15 or 16 dwellings. It has considerable trade in lumber.

Lumpkin, County, Ga. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 700 sq. ms. Drained by Etowah and Chestatee rivers, and their branches. Surface, hilly; soil on the streams, very fertile. It contains the richest gold mines in the country. Capital, Dahlonega. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,602, sheep 2,116, swine 14,383; wheat 10,061 bush, produced, rye 777, Ind. com 214,754, oats 9,924, potatoes 7,813, tobacco 4,217 pounds, cotton 17,812; 36 stores, cap. $91,500; 91 smelting houses produced gold to the value of $74,460; 1 tannery, 27 distilleries, 1 pottery, 29 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 82,920. 14 sch. 352 scholars. Pop. whites 5,143, slaves 516, free col'd 12; total 5,671.

Lumpkin, p-v., capital of Stewart co., Ga., 137 s. w. Milledgeville, 793 W. Situated on the s. side of Hannahatchee cr., 16 ms. E. from its entrance into Chattahoochee r. It contains a court house, jail, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, 14 stores, and 36 dwellings.

Lunenburg, County, Va. Situated in the s. part of the state, and contains 410 sq. ms. Drained by Meherrin r. and its branches. Capital, Lewistown. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,470, sheep 9,004, swine 15,805; wheat 26,324 bush, produced, Ind. corn 274,547, oats 138,245, potatoes 10,136, tobacco 2,640,000 pounds, cotton 8,590; 30 stores, cap. $111,152; 3 tanneries, 22 grist m., 6 saw T m., 12 sch. 230 scholars. Pop. whites 4,132, slaves 6,707, free col'd 216; total, 11,055.

Lunenburg, p-t., Essex co., Vt., 58 e. n. e. Montpelier, 567 W. Situated on the w. side of Connecticut r., which runs on its s. e. border. Fifteen Mile falls, on that r., commence in the s. E. part of the t. Watered by Neal's pond and Neal's branch, which passes through it, and Catbow branch, which afford good water power. It has a Congregational and a Baptist church. Chartered in 1763. It contains 2 stores, cap. $4,500; 1 fulling m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,300. 11 sch. 377 scholars. Pop. 1,130.

Lunenburg, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 46 N. w. Boston, 428 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile. Watered by branches of Nashau r. Incorporated in 1723. It contains 1 store, cap. $5,000; 2 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $29,161. 10 sch. 424 scholars. Pop. 1,272.

Lunenburg, C. H., p-v., and capital of Lunenburg co., Va., 78 s. w. Richmond, 197 W. It contains a handsome brick court house, with a portico of 4 columns in front, jail, clerk's office, 2 stores, 20 dwellings, and about 100 inhabitants. (See Lewistown.)

Luney's Creek, p-o., Hardy co., Va., 190 n. w. Richmond, 142 W.

Luray, p-v., capital of Page co., Va., 130 n. w. Richmond, 96 W. Situated on Hawksbill cr. Organized in 1814, when the first house was built. It contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist, 4 stores, 1 tannery, 50 dwellings, and 400 inhabitants.

Luray, p-v., Union t., Licking co., O., 25 e. Columbus, 368 W. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, and 109 inhabitants. It is surrounded by a rich and fertile country.

Luray, p-v., Henry co., Ia., 57 e. Indianapolis, 538 W.

Page 364

Lurgan, t., Franklin co., Pa., 13 n. Chambersburg. The surface is a level valley; soil, slate. Drained by the n. and s. branch of Conedogwinnit cr. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,500; 2 tanneries, 5 grist m., 6 saw m., 2 oil ra. Cap. in manufac. $10,000. 7 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 1,143.

Lusk's Mills, p-o., Parke co., Ia., 74 w. Indianapolis, 645 W.

Luthersburg, p-v., Clearfield co., Pa., 145 n. w. Harrisburg, 237 W.

Lutherville, p-v., Meriwether co., Ga., 108 w. Milledgeville, 727 W.

Luzerne, County, Pa. Situated toward the n. E. part of the state, and contains 1,340 sq. ms. Watered by Susquehanna r. The surface is greatly diversified. The valleys are fertile. Much of it is incapable of cultivation. Anthracite coal is extensively found. Capital, Wilkesbarre. There were in 1840, neat cattle 30,241, sheep 52,415, swine 37,007; wheat 244,389 bush, produced, rye 97,504, Indian corn 252,235, buckwheat 131,923, oats 349,094, potatoes 384,217, anthracite coal 207,878; 132 stores, capital $537,400; 6 furnaces, 1 forge, 12 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 24 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 2 breweries, 4 powder m., 1 pottery, 1 rope fac, 30 flouring m., 45 grist m., 212 saw m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $860,390. 5 acad. 140 students, 182 sch. 7,418 scholars. Pop. 44,006.

Luzerne, t., Fayette co., Pa., 12 n. w. Uniontown. The surface is level; soil, calcareous loam. It lies on the great bend of Monongahela r., which bounds it n. and w. Drained by Dunlap's cr., across which is a bridge, connecting it with Brownsville. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,000 : 2 tanneries, 4 flouring m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,330. 4 schools, 95 scholars. Pop. 1,715.

Luzerne, pt, Warren co., N. Y. Situated on the e. side of Hudson r. The surface is hilly, excepting near the Hudson. The v., situated on the e. side of the r., contains 1 church, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 21 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 11 sch. 435 scholars. Pop. 1,284.

Lycoming, County, Pa. Situated a little n. of the centre of the state, and contains 1,600 square miles. Drained by the w. branch of Susquehanna r. and its tributaries. The surface is broken and mountainous; the soil, in the valleys and on the streams, is fertile. A canal passes along the w. branch of Susquehanna r., through the co., connecting with the Pennsylvania canal, at the mouth of the Juniata. Capital, Williamsport. There were in 1840, neat cattle 16,713, sheep 24,548, swine 26,030; wheat 231,757 bushels produced, rye 116,939, Indian corn 177,082, buckwheat 63,209, oats 208,715, potatoes 194,113, sugar 36,242 pounds; 67 stores, cap. $252,400; 9 lumber yards, cap. $2,600; 1 fulling m., 9 woolen fac, 20 tanneries, 11 distilleries, 1 pottery, 3 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 1 flouring m., 43 grist m., 55 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $374,683. 3 acad. 52 students, 118 sch. 4,094 scholars. Pop. 22,649.

Lycoming, t., Lycoming co., Pa. The surface is mountainous, excepting on the streams, where, and in the valleys, is fertile land. Soil, calcareous loam. Drained by Lycoming creek, which flows into the Susquehanna r. It has 4 stores, cap. $16,000; 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,250. 1 acad. 8 students, 6 sch. 183 scholars. Pop. 1,917.

Lykens, t., Dauphin co., Pa., 26 n. Harrisburg. The surface is mountainous; soil, red shale. Watered by Wiconisco, Little, and Mahantango creeks. It contains coal, very easy of access. It has 3 stores, cap. $8,500; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,400. 8 sch. 295 scholars. Pop. 1,409.

Lykins, t., Crawford co., O., 8 n. by w. Bucyrus. It has 8 sch. 246 scholars. Pop. 742.

Lyman, p-t., York co., Me., 72 s. w. Augusta, 523 W. Watered by branches of the Saco and Kennebunk rivers, the latter of which rises in a pond near its centre. It has 3 stores, capital $1,200; 1 grist m., 5 saw m., 13 sch. 545 scholars. Pop. 1,478.

Lyman, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 107 n. n. w. Concord, 533 W. Watered by Burnham's r., a branch of Ammonoosuc r. Connecticut r. runs on its w. boundary, and here is a part of the Fifteen Mile falls, which terminate a little below. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,000; 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $2,350. 9 sch. 580 scholars. Pop. 1,480.

Lyman Centre, p-o., Lyman t., York co., Me., 74 s. w. Augusta, 522 W.

Lymansville, p-v., Potter co., Pa., 167 n. n. w. Harrisburg, 277 W.

Lyme, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 53 n. w. Concord, 498 W. Connecticut r. runs on its w. border, by small branches of which it is watered. The surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile. Chartered in 1764. It has 3 stores, cap. $19,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 gri6t m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac $22,100. 1 acad. 100 students, 16 sch. 531 scholars. Pop. 1,785.

Lyme, p-t., New London co., Ct., 45 s. by e. Hartford, 338 W. Incorporated in 1667. Situated on the e. side of Connecticut River, at its mouth, where is a ferry to Saybrook. Near the sound, the surface is level, or moderately hilly, with considerable salt marsh. Toward the K. the surface is stony and mountainous, where the soil is chiefly adapted to grazing. There are 6 churches in the t. 4 Congregational, and 2 Baptist. The v. is on a plain, and on one street, half a mile E. of the river. There are in the t. 8 stores, cap. $35,050; 1 lumber yard, capital $3,000; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 6 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,900. 18 sch. 847 scholars. Pop. 2,856.

Lyme, t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 12 w. Watertown, 172 n. w. Albany. The surface is gently undulating; soil, a fertile, sandy, and marly loam. Watered by Chaumont r.; bounded by St. Lawrence r. on the w. and by Lake Ontario on the s., in which are several islands belonging to the t. It has 9 stores, cap. $23,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist, m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,851; 14 sch. 466 scholars. Pop. 5,472.

Lyme, p-t., Huron co., O., 99 n. by e. Columbus, 402 W. The v. is situated on the border of a beautiful prairie, and contains 1 church, a store, and a number of dwellings. The t. has 1 store, cap. $500; 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac $1,000. 7 sch. 313 scholars. Pop. 1,320.

Lynchburg, p-v., Campbell co., Va., 116 w. by s. Richmond, 191 W. Situated on the s. bank of James r., 20 ms. below its passage through the Blue Ridge. In 1793 it contained but 5 houses. Incorporated in 1805. It contains 7 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 2 Methodist, I Baptist, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Roman Catholic. There is a Friends church in the vicinity. It has 6 warehouses in which from 15 to 20,000,000 lbs. of tobacco are annually inspected. It has 123 stores and groceries, 22 tobacco fac, which manufacture from 35 to 40,000 boxes of tobacco annually, 1 large cotton fac, 1 iron foundry, 3 large flouring m., 15 classical schools, 1,000 houses, and 6,395 inhabitants. The James r. and Kanawha canal connects this place with Richmond. On it are 5 handsome packet boats for passengers, and about 40 freight boats, of from 60 to 100 tons burden. The back country and trade of this place are very extensive.

Page 365

Lynchburg, p-v., Lincoln co., Tenn., 78 s. Nashville, 701 W. Situated on one of the head branches of Elk r.

Lynchburg, p-v., Dodson t., Highland co., O., 89 s. w. Columbus, 451 W. Situated on the e. fork of Little Miami r., and contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 carding machine, 2 tanneries, 30 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.

Lynch's Creek, p-o., Williamsburg dist., S. C, 151 e. by s. Columbia, 448 W. The stream rises in N. C., and after a course of 120 ms., flows into Great Pedee r., in Williamsburg dist., S. C. it is navigable for more than 60 miles.

Lynchwood, p-v., Kershaw dist., S. C, 51 n. e. Columbia, 365 W.

Lyndeborough, p-t., Hillsboro' county, N. H., 33 s. s. w. Concord, 461 W. The surface is mostly uneven and rough; soil, well adapted to grazing. Incorporated in 1764. Drained by branches of Souhegan r. It has 1 store, capital $1,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,265. 12 sch. 334 scholars. Pop. 1,032.

Lyndon, p-t., Caledonia co., Vt., 44 n. e. Montpelier. 554 W. The surface is undulating; soil, very productive. Watered by Pasumsic river, which has 2 considerable falls, and affords extensive water power. The v. is pleasant, and has considerable trade. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $12,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $18,210. 1 acad. 131 students, 16 sch. 607 scholars. Pop. 1,753.

Lyndon, t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 18 e. Ellicottville, 274 W. Albany. The surface is undulating soil; sandy and gravelly loam. Drained by Ischua and Oil creeks. It has 7 sch. 225 scholars. Pop. 623.

Lyndon, v., Yates t., Orleans co., N. Y. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 60 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.

Lyndon, p-v., Whitesides County, Ill., 180 n. Springfield, 855 W.

Lyndon Centre, p-o., Lyndon t., Caledonia co., Vt., 46 n. e. Montpelier, 556 W.

Lynesville, p-v., Granville co., N. C, 51 n. Raleigh, 241 W.

Lynn, p-t., Essex county, Mass., 9 n. e. Boston, 149 W. The ocean washes its s. border, and in the s. e. is excellent salt marsh. Watered by Saugus r. The surface is level, with rocky hills to the n. The t. contains 8 churches, 3 Methodist, 2 Congregational, 1 Friends, 1 Baptist, and Universalist, 2 banks, besides 1 for savings, and an academy. The peninsula of Nahant is a rocky promontory in the ocean, connected with a mailer peninsula, called Little Nahant, by a beach, and both are connected with the shore by beach a mile and a half long, barely sufficient elevated not to be overflowed. A splendid hotel, at the e. end of the peninsula, receives numerous visitors in the summer season. Lynn has long been celebrated for the manufacture of ladies' shoes, and produces over 2,500,000 pairs annually. It has 36 stores, cap. $131,000 , 1 rope fac, 3 grist m., 1 saw m., 2 printing offices, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufactures, $408,700. 6 acad. 133 students, 10 sch. 1,035 scholars. Pop. 9,367.

Lynn, p-o., Susquehanna co., Pa., 169 N. N. E. Harrisburg, 276 W.

Lynn, t., Lehigh co., Pa. It has 7 stores, cap. $19,100; 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 50 distilleries, 1 powder m., 10 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,500. 7 sch. 312 scholars. Pop. 1,895.

Lynn, t., Posey co., Ia. It has 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,000. Pop. 845.

Lynn Camp, p-o., Knox co., Ky., 107 s. e. by s. Frankfort, 531 W.

Lynnfield, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 20 n. Boston, 460 W. The surface is uneven; soil, not very productive. Watered by Ipswich r. Incorporated in 1782. It has cap. in manufactures $8,000. 3 sch. 190 scholars. Pop. 707.

Lynnville, p-v., Lynn t., Lehigh co., Pa., 83 E. N. E. Harrisburg, 175 W.

Lynnville, p-v., Warwick co., Ia., 162 s. w. by s. Indianapolis, 700 W. Situated on the head waters of Great Pigeon cr.

Lynnville, p-v., Giles co., Tenn., 60 s. Nashville, 724 W. Situated on Richland cr.

Lynnville, p-v.. Morgan co., Ill., 41 w. Springfield, 821 W.

Lyons, p-t., capital of Wayne co., N. Y., 180 w. by N. Albany, 357 W. The surface is hilly; soil, a fertile sandy and calcareous loam. Drained by Clyde r., formed by the junction of Mud cr. with Canandaigua outlet. The v. is situated on the Erie Canal, and contains a court house, jail, clerk's office, 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, 1 Baptist, and 1 Lutheran, a bank, 20 stores, 2 warehouses, 2 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 steam furnace and saw m., 2 tanneries, 2 carriage fac, 300 dwellings, and about 1,800 inhabitants. There are in the t. 20 stores, capital $165,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $200; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 pottery, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 5 flouring m., 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $92,005. 8 sch. 972 scholars. Pop. 4,302.

Lyons, p-o., Lucas co., O., 165 n. w. Columbus, 496 W.

Lyons, p-t., Ionia co., Mich., 134 w. N. w. Detroit, 628 W. Situated on both sides of Grand r., at the head of steamboat navigation, 100 ms. from its mouth. The r. here has a fall, creating a good water power. The v. has 2 stores, 30 dwellings, and 150 inhabitants. The r. is boatable above for flat bottomed boats. There are in the t. I store, cap. $4,000; 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,900. 4 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 497.

Lyon, t., Oakland co., Mich. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500. 10 sch. 290 scholars. Pop. 1,206.

Lyons, p-o., Clinton co., Iowa.

Lyonsdale, p-o., Greig t., Lewis co., N. Y., 122 n. w. Albany, 426 W.

Lyon's Store, p-o., Hawkins co., Tenn., 257 e. Nashville, 425 W.

Lysander, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 144 w. by n. Albany, 364 W. The surface is generally level; soil, fertile. Watered by Seneca r., which bounds it on the s. It has 7 stores, cap. $32,600; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 1 grist m., 16 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $80,130. 18 sch. 930 scholars. Pop. 4,306.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work