American History and Genealogy Project

Macon County, IL to Madison Cross Roads, AL

Page 369

Macon, County, Ill. Situated near the center of the state, and contains 1,400 sq. ms. Watered by Kaskaskia r. and the n. fork of Sangamon r., and by Salt cr. The surface is level, or slightly undulating; soil, generally fertile. Capital, Decatur. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,264, sheep 3,546, swine 13,285; wheat 21,344 bush, produced, rye 1,741, Ind. corn 173,187, oats 44,366, Potatoes 5,354; 5 stores, cap. $23,500; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 6 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,000. 8 sch. 234 scholars. Pop. 3,039.

Macon, County, Mo. Situated toward the n. part of the state, and contains 846 sq. ms. Drained by Chariton and E. Chariton rivers, and the branches of Salt r. Capital, Bloomington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,539, sheep 7,050, swine 30,973; wheat 9,105 bush, produced, Ind. corn 552,996, oats 15,517, Potatoes 9,581, tobacco 57,871 pounds; 11 stores, cap. $69,300; 2 lumber yards, cap. $1,400; 3 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 6 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,300. 7 sch. 180 scholars. Pop. whites 5,808, slaves 225, free col'd 1; total, 6,034.

Macon, p-o., Powhatan co., Va., 40 w. Richmond, 157 W.

Macon, city, and capital of Bibb co., Ga., 30 s. w. Milledgeville, 686 W. It is situated chiefly on the w. bank of the Ocmulgee r., at the head of steamboat navigation. It has a court house, jail, an elegant market house, and 5 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist. There is a bridge over the Ocmulgee 389 feet in length. A great amount of cotton is shipped from this place. 8 or 10 steamboats are employed on the Ocmulgee, besides towboats, and pole boats. In 1822, a single cabin occupied the site of the city. There were in 1840, 9 foreign com. houses, cap. $75,000; 82 retail stores, cap. $385,000; 9 lumber yards, cap. $7,500; 1 grist m., 3 printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers, 1 periodical. Cap. in manufac. $67,750. 1 college, 150 students, 3 acad. 200 students, 2 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 3,927.

Macon, p-v., Marengo co., Ala., 56 s. Tuscaloosa, 868 W.

Macon, p-v., and capital of Noxubee co., Miss., 25 n. e. Jackson, 885 W. Situated on the N. E. side of Noxubee r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.

Macon, pt., Lenawee co., Mich., 66 s. w. Detroit, 520 W. Watered by the s. branch of Raisin r. It has a fertile soil, well adapted to rain. It contains 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,000. 7 sch. 311 scholars. Pop. 1,146.

Macon, p-v., Fayette co., Tenn., 196 w. s. w. Nashville, 881 W. It contains 3 stores, a female academy, and about 75 inhabitants.

Macon Depot, p-o., Warren co., N. C, 67 n. e. Raleigh, 221 W.

Macksville, p-v., Vigo co., Ia., 74 w. Indianapolis, 615 W. Situated on the national road, 1½ ms. w. of the Wabash r.

Macungy, pt., Lehigh co., Pa., 83 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 176 W. Watered by Jordan and Little Lehigh creeks. The surface is level; soil, calcareous loam, productive and well cultivated. It contains 2 churches.

Madawaska, t., Aroostook co., Me. Situated on the s. side of St. Johns r. It contains 5 stores, 4 grist m., 1 saw m., 3 sch. 56 scholars. Pop. 1,584. The settlement is along the road following the course of the river. The part on the n. side of the river, and which, according to the late treaty, is now in Canada, contains a population of 1,876.

Madison, County, N. Y. Situated a little E. of the center of the state, and contains 582 sq. ms. The middle and southern parts are uneven and hilly; in the n. part it is more level. Drained by the head branches of Chenango, Unadilla, Ostelic, and Toughnioga rivers. Water lime and gypsum are abundant, and marl and bog iron ore are found. Two sulphur springs exist, near the village of Chittenango. The Erie Canal and Utica and Syracuse railroad, pass through the co. Capital, Morrisville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 42,191, sheep 204,616, swine 30,757; wheat 200,142 bush, produced, rye 3,255, Indian corn 171,204, buckwheat 5,996, barley 135,635, oats 343,207, Potatoes 676,649, hops 107,280 pounds, sugar 215,619; 109 stores, cap. $391,715; 3 furnaces, 26 fulling m., 10 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 744 sp., 1 rope fac, 40 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 1 brewery, 4 flouring m., 39 grist m., 167 saw m., 3 oil m., 1 paper fac, 9 printing offices, 3 binderies, 2 periodicals, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $719,280. 8 acad. 968 students, 253 sch. 12,297 scholars. Pop. 40,003.

Madbury, t., Strafford co., N. H. The soil is generally productive. Drained by Bellamy r. Bog iron ore is found. Incorporated in 1755. It has 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac $1,900. 5 sch. 215 scholars. Pop. 489.

Madison, County, Va. Situated a Utile n. e. of the center of the state, and contains 330 sq. ms. The surface is moderately uneven, and the soil tolerably fertile. Drained by Robertson's r. and other branches of Rapid Ann r. Capital, Madison. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,006, sheep 8,964, swine 12,851; wheat 100,680 bush, produced, rye 23,627, Ind. corn 271,880, oats 33,005, Potatoes 12,796, tobacco 148,700 pounds; 12 stores, cap. $48,000; 7 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 10 flouring m., 23 grist m., 17 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $133,300. 2 acad. 41 students, 17 sch. 356 scholars. Pop. whites 3,729, slaves 4,308, free col'd 70; total 8,107.

Madison, County, Ga. Situated in the n. e. part of the state, and contains 250 sq. ms. Drained by branches of Broad r. It has some mineral springs. Capital, Danielsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,956, sheep 1,571, swine 3,927; wheat 8,239 bush, produced, Ind. corn 53,130, oats 6,657, Potatoes 3,350, cotton 727,118 pounds; 9 stores, cap. $15,700; 3 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 acad. 20 students, 3 sch. 79 scholars. Pop. whites 3,125, slaves 1,332, free col'd 3; total, 4,510.

Madison, County, Flor. Situated in the central part of the ter., extending from Ga. on the n., to the Gulf of Mexico on the s. The surface is rolling, and the water is excellent. The soil in the n. and w. parts is fertile; in the middle it is poor; and in the s. E. there is considerable superior sugar land. Suwanee r. runs on its e. border, and Oscilla r. on its w. border. A great number of small lakes are scattered over it. Capital, Madison. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,690, sheep 223, swine 3,969; Indian corn 37,985 bush, produced, oats 2,305, Potatoes 13,213, rice 1,150 pounds, cotton 702,400, sugar 1,200; 3 stores, cap. $5,000; 2 grist m., 1 saw ra., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $5,300. 4 sch. 74 scholars. Pop. whites 1,442, slaves 1,202; total, 2,614.

Page 370

Madison, County, Ala. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 760 sq. ms. The surface is moderately hilly, and the soil very fertile. Tennessee r. runs on its s. border. Watered by branches of Flint r. and other branches of Tennessee r. Capital, Huntsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 23,074, sheep 12,308, swine 79,970; wheat 85,099 bush, produced, Ind. corn 1,357,808, oats 152,816, Potatoes 46,371, tobacco 15,655 pounds, cotton 10,358,897; 40 stores, cap. $482,450; 11 tanneries, 11 distilleries, 22 grist m., 17 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $121,972. 2 acad. 125 students, 33 sch. 1,167 scholars. Pop. whiles 12,297, slaves 13,265, free col'd 144; total, 25,706.

Madison, County, Miss. Situated a little s. w. of the center of the state, and contains 548 sq. ms. Big Black r. runs on its n. w. border, and Pearl r. on its s. E. border. Capital, Canton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 21,045, sheep 4,906, swine 46,028; wheat 1,198 bush, produced, Ind. corn 877,893, oats 79,895, Potatoes 152,981, cotton 14,842,153 pounds; 19 stores, cap. $79,600; 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $7,700. 1 college, 100 students, 2 acad. 170 students, 2 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. whites 3,986, slaves 11,533, free col'd 11; total, 15,530.

Madison, Parish, La. Situated in the N. e. part of the state, and contains 800 sq. ms. Mississippi r. runs on its e. border. Drained by Roundaway and Macon bayous, and Tensas r. Capital, Richmond. There were in 1810, neat cattle 6,239, sheep 767, swine 8,641; Ind. corn 190,745 bush, produced, Potatoes 13,188, cotton 5,378,610 pounds; 8 stores, cap. $47,200; 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,000. Pop. whites 1,210, slaves 3,923, free col'd 9; total, 5,142.

Madison, County, Tenn. Situated in the w. part of the state, and contains 670 sq. ms. Watered by the s. fork of Forked Deer r. and its branches. Capital, Jackson. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,747, sheep 17,563, swine 64,503; wheat 65,178 bush, produced, rye 8,530, Ind. corn 793,215, oats 226,604, Potatoes 65,238, tobacco 136,632 pounds, cotton 2,233,039; 19 stores, cap. $353,200; 1 furnace, 3 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 1,200 sp., 7 tanneries, 10 distilleries, 15 flouring m., 21 grist m., 13 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $108,295. 4 acad. 103 students, 23 sch. 512 scholars. Pop. whites 10,420, slaves 6,073, free col'd 37; total, 16,530.

Madison, County, Ky. Situated centrally, toward the e. part of the state, and contains 520 sq. ms. Kentucky r. runs on its n. border, by branches of which it is drained. Capital, Richmond. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,381, sheep 16,206, swine 49,104; wheat 41,502 bush, produced, rye 90,902, Ind. corn 564,884, barley 6,430, oats 88,247, Potatoes 16.952, tobacco 125,283 pounds, sugar 27,171; 10 stores, cap. $46,350; 2 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 12 distilleries, 23 grist m., 3 saw. m. Cap. in manufac. $19,275. 8 sch. 234 scholars. Pop. whites 10,860, slaves 5,413, free col'd 82; total, 16,355.

Madison, County, O. Situated a little s. w. of the center of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. Watered by Darby and Deer creeks. The soil is well adapted to grazing, and much butter and cheese are produced. Capital, London. There were in 1810, neat cattle 16,177, sheep 15,632, swine 19,135; wheat 47,616 bush, produced, rye 1,918, Ind. corn 419,066, buckwheat 1,287, oats 71,173, Potatoes 12,566, sugar 1,150 pounds; 22 stores, cap. $90,250; 1 fulling m. 5 tanneries, 2 potteries, 9 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,450. 94 sch. 2,917 scholars. Pop. 9,025.

Madison, County, la. Situated a little n. e. of the center of the state, and contains 390 sq. ms. Drained by White r. and its branches, which afford water power. The surface is level, and the soil fertile. It has some wet prairies. Capital, Andersontown. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,798, sheep 6,436, swine 21,579; wheat 46,991 bush, produced, rye 1,558, Indian corn 375,715, oats 60,867, Potatoes 17,624, sugar 47,887 pounds; 2 stores, cap. $60,350; 3 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 2 potteries, 1 flouring m., 7 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $28,465. 35 sch. 1,120 scholars. Pop. 8,874.

Madison, County, Ill. Situated toward the s. w. part of the state, and contains 760 sq. miles. The Mississippi r. runs on it s w. border. Drained by Cahokia, Silver, and Wood creeks, and their branches. Capital, Edwardsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 22,039, sheep 13,876, swine 53,484; wheat 160,910 bushels produced, rye 18,735, Indian corn 1,370,735, buckwheat 12,355, barley 12,980, oats 209,800, Potatoes 121,305, tobacco 11,280 pounds; 4 commission houses, cap. $22,000; 2 lumber yards, capital $8,500; 67 stores, cap. $338,750; 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 brewery, 7 flouring m., 8 grist m., 16 saw m., 1 oil m., 4 printing offices, 3 weekly and 1 periodical newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $210,410. 1 college, 101 students, 2 acad. 144 students, 52 sch. 1,445 scholars. Pop. 7,826. '

Madison, County, Mo. Situated toward the s. e. part of the state, and contains 780 sq. ms. Drained by St. Francis and Whitewater rivers, and their branches. Capital, Fredericktown. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,453, sheep 2,295, swine 12,415; wheat 9,746 bushels produced, Indian corn 153,510, oats 36,331, Potatoes 3,031, tobacco 9,850 pounds; 8 smelting houses , produced 1,263,455 pounds of lead; 2 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,306. 11 sch. 244 scholars. Pop. whites 2,762, slaves 611, free col'd 22; total, 3,395.

Madison, County, Ark. Situated in the N. W. part of the state, and contains 1,050 square miles. Drained by White r. and its branches. Capital, Sevierville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,341, sheep 2,675, swine 11,634; wheat 4,132 bushels produced, Ind. corn 146,755, oats 4,518, Potatoes 7,249, tobacco 14,280 pounds, cotton 2,690, sugar 1,027; 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 5 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,560. 2 sch. 53 scholars. Pop. whites 2,692, slaves 83; total, 2,775.

Madison, pt., Somerset co., Me., 40 n. Augusta, 635 W. Situated on the e. side of Kennebec r. The soil is fertile. Incorporated in 1804. It has 4 stores, cap. $4,300; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,250. 16 "ch. 697 scholars. Pop. 1,701.

Madison, pt., New Haven co., Ct., 56 s. Hartford, 320 W. It is situated on Long Island sound. Incorporated in 1826. The soil is stony and rough, but is made fertile by the use of white fish, as a manure, which are taken off the coast in great numbers, for 3 or 4 months in the year. Ship building is a considerable business here. The v. is situated on one street, running parallel to the coast, and at a short distance from it, and contains a Congregational church, and Lee's Academy, a flourishing institution, named in honor of a benefactor. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap. $11.700; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $3,500. 1 acad. 60 students. 13 sch. 488 scholars. Pop. 1,788.

Page 371

Madison, pt., Madison co., N. Y., 95 w. by n. Albany, 365 W. The surface is elevated and rolling; soil, clay and gravelly loam. Drained by the head waters of Chenango r. and Oriskany cr. It occupies the summit level of the Chenango canal, which passes through the t. The v. is on the Cherry Valley turnpike, and contains 1 Baptist and 1 Universalist; church, 2 stores, 90 dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants. Incorporated in 1816. The t. has 4 stores, cap. $15,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,900. 16 sch. 398 scholars. Pop. 3,344.

Madison, p-v., Morris co., J., 58 n. Trenton, 223 W. It contains about 40 dwellings, many of them neat, and is surrounded by a well cultivated country.

Madison, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa., 179 w. Harrisburg, 205 W.

Madison, t., Columbia co., Pa., 10 N. Danville. The surface is mostly uneven; soil, loam and clay. Drained by Little Fishing and Mahoning creeks. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 3 tanneries, 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,340. 6 sch. 212 scholars. Pop. 1,700.

Madison, t., Armstrong co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,902. 3 sch. 64 scholars. Pop. 1,365.

Madison, t., Perry co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $9,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 distilleries. 6 flouring m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,188. 7 sch. 315 scholars. Pop. 1,299.

Madison, p-t, Lake co., O., 190 n. e. by n. Columbus, 349 W. Situated on both sides of Grand River. It contains the v. of Unionville. Large quantities of iron are manufactured into hollowware, mill irons, &c, and exported. It has 9 stores, cap. $11,800; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery. 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,950. 20 sch. 1,250 scholars. Pop. 2,800.

Madison, t., Clark co., O. It contains the v. of South Charleston. It has 11 sch. 309 scholars. Pop. 1,115.

Madison, t., Columbiana co., O. It has 3 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 1,474.

Madison, t., Sutler co., O. It has 4 sch. Ill scholars. Pop. 1,935.

Madison, t., Fayette co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $11,000; 4 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 765.

Madison, t., Franklin co., O. Watered by Alum, Big Walnut, and Black Lick creeks. The surface is rolling, and the soil well cultivated.

Madison, t.. Fairfield co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $200; 6 grist m., 8 saw m. Pop. 1,102.

Madison, t., Guernsey co., O. It contains Winchester and Antrim villages. It has 1 college, 16 students, 4 sch. 171 scholars. Pop. 1,222.

Madison, t., Jackson co., O. Watered by Symmes' cr. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,900; 1 grist n., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $800. 1 sch. 23 scholars. Pop. 724.

Madison, t., Licking co., O. Situated on both sides of Licking r., and of the Ohio canal. It has 3 schools, 74 scholars. Pop. 1,119.

Madison, t., Highland co., O. It has 9 sch. 707 scholars. Pop. 1,916.

Madison, t., Pickaway co., O. It has 3 saw p., 5 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. 850.

Madison, t., Perry co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $800; 1 woolen fac, 2 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 4 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,630. 6 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. 1,167.

Madison, p-v., Rockingham co., N. C, 116 n. ft. Raleigh, 296 W.

Madison, p-v., capital of Morgan co., Ga., 41 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 625 W. It contains a court house, jail, Masonic hall, 2 academies, I male and 1 female, to which a library is attached, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, a number of stores, and 60 or 70 dwellings.

Madison, p-v., city, and capital of Jefferson County, la., 88 s. s. e. Indianapolis, 560 W. Situated on the n. shore of the Ohio r., at an elevation which secures it from the highest floods. It is regularly laid out with broad streets, paved or macadamized. The houses are mostly of brick, neat and elegant. It contains a court house, jail, market house, 6 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 Methodist Reformed, 2 Presbyterian, 1 branch of the state bank with a handsome edifice, 1 savings bank, 1 insurance office, 50 stores, 2 iron foundries, a steam engine fac, 1 cotton fac, 1 steam flouring m., 1 oil m., 1 m., and 1 saw m., 1 boat yard, and 3,798 inhabitants. 15,000 hogs have been slaughtered here in a year. In the rear of the v. are hills, 250 feet high, which afford a beautiful prospect.

Madison, t., Montgomery co., la. It has 2 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 463.

Madison, t., Putnam co., Ia. It has 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,300. Pop. 1,071.

Madison, t., Sevier co., Ark. It has 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac $6,200. 1 sch. 26 scholars. Pop. 266.

Madison, p-v., Madison co., Ill.

Madison, p-v., and capital of Dane co., and of the ter. of Wisconsin, 90 n. e. Galena, 90 w. Milwaukie, 847 W. It is beautifully situated on a peninsula, between the 3d and 4th lake of the chain called the Four Lakes, on a gentle swell of ground, from which there is a regular descent each way to the water. It is regularly laid out, w ith a central square of 914 feet on a side, in the center of which is the state house, erected by the general government. It is a spacious stone edifice, 2 stories high above the basement, with a handsome dome; and can be seen from the distance of 10 miles in every direction. The square is surrounded by a fence, with 16 gates, for which congress has appropriated $1,000. It contains a jail, several places of worship, 2 printing offices, each of which issues a weekly newspaper, 10 or 12 stores, 60 dwellings, and, in 1840, 376 inhabitants. In June, 1837, the contractor with 40 men and 5 females arrived here, having, in 11 days, cut their way through the wilderness, from Milwaukie, and commenced the building of the capital. This distance is now travelled in 2 days. The growth of the place has been rapid, having chiefly been since the spring of 1841, and its prosperity is substantial.

Madison, t., Clarke co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 528.

Madison, t., Polk co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 13 scholars. Pop. 1,000.

Madison, t., Livingston co., Mo. Pop. 353.

Madison, t., Johnson co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 28 scholars. Pop. 153.

Madison, p-v., Monroe co., Mo., 83 n. Jefferson City, 943 W.

Madison, C. H., p-v., and capital of Madison co., Va., 97 n. w. Richmond, 98 W. It contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 free to all denominations, 6 stores, 5 flouring m., 2 tanneries, 40 dwellings, and 300 inhabitants.

Madison, C. H., p-v., capital of Madison co., Flor. It contains a court house and a few dwellings.

Madison Centre, p-o., Madison t., Somerset co., Me., 43 n. Augusta, 638 W.

Madison Cross Roads, p-o., Madison co., Ala., 172 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 723 W.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work