Mercer County, IL to Middleburg, OH
Mercer, County, Ill. Situated toward the n. w.
part of the state, on the Mississippi r., and contains 550 sq.
ms. Drained by Edwards and Pope rivers, and the n. fork of
Henderson's r. In the middle and e. parts are extensive
prairies. There are large tracts of timber along the Mississippi
r. The surface is undulating, and the soil very fertile.
Capital, Millersburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,072,
sheep 1,688, swine 9,339; wheat 27,103 bush, produced, rye
1,701, Ind. corn 111,430, oats 20,506, Potatoes 11,852, sugar
1,735 pounds; 10 stores, cap. $23,850; 2 woolen fac, 1
distillery, 2 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,525. 15
sch. 320 scholars. Pop. 2,352.
Mercer, pt., Somerset co., Me., 34 n. n. w. Augusta, 627 W.
Sandy r. runs through its n. w. comer. It has 2 large ponds
connected together, on its s. border, on the margin of one of
which is a pleasant village. Incorporated in 1804. The soil is
fertile, adapted to grain. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,400; 2 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,451. 11 sch. 616 scholars. Pop.
Mercer, p-b., Springfield t., capital of Mercer co., Pa., 57 n.
by w. Pittsburg, 234 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 277 W. Situated near
Neohannock cr. Incorporated in 1814. It contains a court house,
jail, an academy, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Union, 1
Methodist, and 1 Associate Reformed, a manufactory of copperas;
18 stores, cap. $43,220; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $15,086. 1 acad.
100 students, 4 sch. 133 scholars. Pop. 781.
Mercer, t., Butler co., Pa. It has 6 stores, cap. $20,000; 1
woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 pottery, 4 grist m.,
2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,815. 8 sch. 496 scholars. Pop.
Mercer, p-o., Mercer co., O., 119 w. N. w. Columbus, 499 W.
Mercersburg, p-b., Montgomery t., Franklin co., Pa., 15 s. w.
Chambersburg, 62 s. w. Harrisburg, 85 W. Situated on a branch of
Conecocheague cr. It contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
combined Lutheran and German Reformed, 1 Associate Reformed, and
1 Methodist, 6 stores and about 160 dwellings. Incorporated in
1831. It contains Marshall college, founded in 1836, has 4
professors or other instructors, and 54 students. Commencement
is on the last Wednesday in August. 1 acad. 54 students, 7 sch.
307 scholars. Pop. 1,143.
Merchant Mills, p-o., Nelson co., Va., 117 w. by n. Richmond,
Meredith, t., Belknap co., N. H., 29 n. Concord. Winnipiseogee
lake bounds it on the e., and in the n. part is a large pond
connected with it, 2 ms. long and 1 wide, where is a village.
Great bay projects into its s. part. Over the outlet of
Winnipiseogee lake is a bridge. Here is a neat village, mostly
in Guilford, which contains a court house, an academy, a
Congregational church, a bank, several mills and manufactories,
and about 50 dwellings. The t. has 20 stores, cap. $49,200; 3
tanneries, 1 grist m., 3 saw m., 20 sch. 787 scholars. Pop.
Meredith, pt., Delaware co., N. Y., 6 n. Delhi, 79 w. s. w.
Albany, 345 W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, well
adapted to grazing. Drained by Oleout cr., which flows w. into
the Susquehanna r., and small streams which flow E. into the w.
branch of Delaware r. The v. is situated on elevated ground, and
contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, 2 stores, 20
dwellings, and about 100 inhabitants. There are in the t. 3
stores, cap. $12,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $6,500. 14 sch. 530 scholars. Pop. 1,640.
Meredith Centre, p-o., Meredith t., Belknap co., N. H., 34 n.
Concord, 515 W.
Meredith Village, p-v., Meredith t., Belknap co., N. H., 37 n.
Concord, 518 W. Situated at the outlet of Winnipiseogee lake.
Meredosia, p-v., Morgan co., Ill., 53 w. Springfield, 833 W.
Situated on the E. side of Illinois r., 6 ms. above Naples. It
is on elevated ground, with a good landing. It contains several
stores, 2 steam mills, and about 50 dwellings. It constitutes
the port of Jacksonville.
Meriden, p-v., Cheshire co., N. H., 57 a. w. Concord, 478 W.
Meriden, pt., New Haven co., Ct., 16 e. by w. Hartford, 321 W.
The surface is hilly or mountainous; soil, generally fertile.
Watered by Quinnipiac r. Incorporated in 1806. The v contains 1
Congregational, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Baptist church, and about 40
dwellings. The t, has a great variety and amount of manufactures
The Hartford and New Haven railroad passes through the place.
There are in the t. 8 stores cap. $28,500; 2 fulling m., 2
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 2 paper fac, 2 grist m., 9
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $111,337. 2 acad. 50 students, 12 sch.
397 scholars. Pop. 1,880.
Meridian, p-o., Ingham co., Mich.
Meridian, p-v., Mercer co., Ill., 130 n. w. by n. Springfield,
Meridian Springs, p-v., Hinds co., Miss., 9 N. by w. Jackson,
1,019 W. Situated at one of the sources of Bogue Chitto cr., a
branch of Big Black r.
Meridianville, p-v., Madison co., Ala., 16 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa,
716 W. Situated on the r. side of Flint r. The Meridian line of
the U. S surveys of Northern Alabama, passes through this place.
Mermentau, r., La., drains the extensive prairies of
southwestern Louisiana. After a southerly course of 200 ms., it
falls into the Gulf of Mexico, 200 ms. w. of the Mississippi r.
The country through which it flows is covered with grass
excepting narrow lines of wood on the r. Live oak is found on
its borders. The r. passes through a lake of the same name. It
has but 3 feet of water on the bar at its mouth.
Merom, p-v., capital of Sullivan co., Ia., 103 w. by w.
Indianapolis. Situated on the e. side of Wabash r. It contains a
court house, jail several stores and dwellings.
Merrillsville, p-o., Franklin t., Franklin co N. Y., 174 n. by
w. Albany, 549 W.
Merrimac, r., N. H., is one of the large rivers of New England.
It is formed by the union of Pemigewasset r., which rises near
the Notch in the White Mountains, with Winnipiseogee which
proceeds from Winnipiseogee Lake. The junction takes place at
Sanbornton, 70 ms. belt the source of the former, which is the
main streets. Its general course is s. by e. until it enters the
state of Mass., where it curves to a general course nearly n. e.
and e., until it falls into the Atlantic a little below
Newburyport. It is navigable vessels of 200 tons to Haverhill.
By means the Middlesex canal from Chelmsford to Boston harbor
and canals and locks around the falls boat navigation is opened
to Concord, n. Bow canal, a few miles below Concord, completed
in 1812, cost $20,000; 6 miles further down, Hookset canal cost
$15,000, overcome fall of 17 feet; 8 miles below, Amoskeag canal
cost $50,000, overcoming a fall of 45 feet; below Amoskeag
canal, the r., for 9 miles, is converted into the Union canal,
overcoming 6 distinct falls; 5 ms. below are Cromwell's falls,
made passable, by a canal. The Union canal, including that of
Cromwell's, cost $50,000. 15 ms. below, in Mass., Wicasee canal
cost $14,000; 3 ms. below is the entrance of the Middlesex
canal. There is a number of bridges over the Merrimac.
Merrimac, County, N. H. Centrally situated
toward the s. part of the state, and contains 816 sq. ms.
Organized in 1823. The surface is uneven, and in the N. parts
mountainous; the soil is generally fertile. Drained by Merrimac
r. and its branches. Capital, Concord. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 35,911, sheep 80,506, swine 12,285; wheat 80,612 bush,
produced, rye 46,706, Ind. corn 183,284, buckwheat 8,688, barley
5,251, oats 173,232, Potatoes 685,370, sugar 62,940 pounds; 113
stores, cap. $333,950; 12 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 3 cotton
fac. 11,768 sp., 35 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 glass fac, 3
potteries, 42 grist m., 105 saw m., 1 oil m., 5 paper fac, 10
printing offices, 6 binderies, 1 periodical, 6 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $840,908. 10 acad. 1,094 students,
273 sch. 10,380 scholars. Pop. 36,253.
Merrimac, pt., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 29 s. Concord, 452 W.
Merrimac r. bounds it on the E. Drained by Souhegan r. and its
branches, which afford extensive water power. The surface is
generally level; soil, in many places, particularly on the
Merrimac, fertile. Incorporated in 1746. It has 4 stores, cap.
$12,400; 6 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac $1,060. 9 sch. 351
scholars. Pop. 1,114.
Merrimac, t., Franklin co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop.
Merrimac, t., Jefferson co., Mo. It has 2 ch. 40 scholars. Pop.
Merrimac, t, St. Louis co., Mo. It has 1 ch. 22 scholars. Pop.
Merriman, t., Crawford co., Mo. It has 3 ch. 50 scholars. Pop.
Merrymeeting Bay, N. H., a s. e. branch of Vinnipiseogee lake,
1,600 rods long.
Merrymeeting Bay, Me., an expansion of Kennebec r., at a
junction of Androscoggin river, bove Bath.
Merritt's Mills, p-o., Cobb co., Ga., 114. w. Milledgeville, 670
Merrittstown, p-v., Luzerne t., Fayette co., a., 191 w. by s.
Harrisburg, 207 W. It is situated on Dunlap's cr., and contains
1 church, 2 ores, 1 grist m., 1 saw 7 m., and about 40
Merrittsville, p-v., Greenville dist., S. C., 130 n. w.
Columbia, 523 W.
Meriwether, County, Ga. Situated in the part of
the state, and contains 400 sq. miles, lint r. runs on its e.
border. Drained on the e. by branches of Flint r., and on the w.
by branches of the Chattahoochee r. Capital, Greenville. There
were in 1810, neat cattle 18,593, sheep 9,121, swine 41,844;
wheat 86,480 bushels produced, rye 1,040, Indian corn 256,115,
oats 58,779, potatoes 20,370, cotton 5,660,222 pounds; 11
stores, cap. $55,000; 3 tanneries, 9 grist m., 5 saw m., 4 acad.
155 students, 9 sch. 265 scholars. Pop. whites, 8,725, slaves
5,391, free col'd 16; total, 14,132
Merry Hill, p-o., Bertie co., N. C, 173 e. by Raleigh, 264 W.
Merryman's Shop, p-o., Prince Edward co., Va., 92 w. s. w.
Richmond, 182 W.
Merry Oaks, p-o., Barren co., Ky., 135 s. w. Frankfort, 656 W.
Merry Point, p-o., Lancaster co., Va., 88 e. Richmond, 149 W.
Mershon's Cross Roads, p-o., Laurel co., Ky., 86 s. s. e.
Frankfort, 555 W.
Mesopotamia, pt., Trumbull co., O., 171 n. e. Columbus, 322 W.
It has 7 sch. 276 scholars. Pop. 832.
Messersville, p-o., Gallia co., O., 116 s. e. Columbus, 374 W.
Messongo, p-o., Accomack co., Va., 213 e. Richmond, 182 W.
Metal, t., Franklin co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $8,000; 1
furnace, 1 forge, 4 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 8 grist m., 11
saw m. Cap. in manufac $15,250. 6 sch. 277 scholars. Pop. 1,113.
Metamora, p-o., Lucas co., O., 160 n. n. w Columbus, 491 W.
Metamora, p-o., Franklin co., Ia., 62 e. s. e. Indianapolis, 526
Metamora, t., Lapeer co., Mich. It has 3 sch. 77 scholars. Pop.
Metea, p-v., Cass co., Ia., 84 n. Indianapolis, 622 W.
Meteteconck, p-o., Monmouth co., N. J., 48 e. by s. Trenton, 209
Methuen, pt., Essex co., Mass., 26 n. by w. Boston, 454 W.
Situated on the n. side of Merrimac r. Chartered in 1725. The
surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile. Watered by Spicket
r., which has a fall of 30 feet, 2 miles above its entrance into
the Merrimac, affording extensive water power. The v. at the
falls contains 3 churches, 1 Congregationalist, 1 Baptist, and 1
Universalist, several mills and manufactories, and about 1,000
inhabitants. The t. contains 4 stores, cap. $15,000; 2 cotton
fac. 4,588 spindles, 1 tannery, 2 paper fac, 2 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $260,500. 10 sch. 650 scholars. Pop. 2,251.
Metropolis City, p-v., Johnson co., Ill., 225 s. s. e.
Springfield, 830 W.
Metuchin, p-v., Middlesex co., N. J., 32 n. e. Trenton, 198 W.
Mexico, Gulf of. A great inland sea, between n. and s. America,
1,000 ms. long and 600 broad, containing 660,000 sq. ms. That
part of it which lies within the United States, laves the s.
coast of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, and the w. coast
Mexico, pt., Oxford co., Me., 42 w. n. w. Augusta, 614 W.
Situated on the N. side of Androscoggin r., by tributaries of
which it is watered, affording good water power. Incorporated in
1818. The soil is fertile, adapted to wheat. It has 2 stores,
cap. $400; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufactures $600. 5 sch. 191
scholars. Pop. 477.
Mexico, pt., Oswego co., N. Y., 156 w. n. w. Albany, 381 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, a fertile clay, and gravelly loam.
Drained by Salmon cr., flowing into Lake Ontario, which bounds
it on the n. The v. is situated on Salmon cr., and contains 3
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, an
academy, 5 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 tanneries,
1 clothier's works, 60 dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 8 stores, cap. $33,900; 2 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 furnace, 4 tanneries, 5 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 oil
m. Cap. in manufac. $45,950. 1 acad. 164 students, 40 sch. 1,020
scholars. Pop. 3,729.
Mexico, p-v., Juniata co., Pa., 42 n. w. Harrisburg, 139 W.
Mexico, p-o., Tymochtee t., Crawford co., O., 79 n. Columbus,
Mexico, p-v., capital of Audrain co., Mo., 47 n. Jefferson City,
922 W. Situated on the e. side of Salt r. It contains a court
house and a few dwellings.
Meyer's Mill, p-o., Somerset co., Pa., 151 w. Harrisburg, 163 W.
Meyerstown, p-v., Jackson t., Lebanon co., Pa., 31 e.
Harrisburg, 144 W. It contains 1 Lutheran church, 4 stores, and
about 130 dwellings.
Miami, r., O., rises in Hardin co., and after a s. w. course of
100 ms., enters the Ohio in the s. w. corner of the state. It is
200 yds. wide at its mouth. Its current is rapid, but it is
navigated to a limited extent for 75 ms. Its waters are
connected with those of the Auglaize, a s. branch of Maumee r.,
by a portage of only 5 ms. It receives many important branches,
and affords extensive water power.
Miami, County, O. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 410 sq. ms. Watered by Miami r. and its
branches. The soil is fertile and well cultivated. Organized in
1807. The Miami canal passes along the w. bank of Miami r.
through the co. Capital, Troy. There were in 1840, neat cattle
14,957, sheep 20,659, swine 24,254; wheat 136,159 bush,
produced, rye 16,926, Ind. corn 531,132, buckwheat 2,169, barley
3,383, oats 163,281, Potatoes 22,453, sugar 153,232 pounds; 54
stores, cap. $273,000; 3 commission houses, cap. $3,500; 3
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 11 distilleries, 3
breweries, 1 pottery, 18 flouring m., 21 grist m., 45 saw m., 2
oil m., 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 3 weekly and 1 periodical
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $183,400. 67 sch. 3,625 scholars.
Miami, County, la. Situated toward the n. part
of the state, and contains 330 sq. ms. The Wabash and Eel rivers
pass through the co. from e. to w., and Mississinewa r. enters
the Wabash from the s. They are all navigable for light boats.
The surface is covered with forest and prairie, and the soil is
very fertile. The Wabash and Erie Canal passes through it.
Capital, Peru. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,910, sheep
2,097, swine 7,534; wheat 8,127 bush, produced, Ind. corn
179,143, oats 12,487, Potatoes 19,735, tobacco 1,490 pounds,
sugar 20,548; 14 stores,cap.$126,900. 3 tanneries, 2 flouring
m., 3 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly and 1
semiweekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $8,500. 15 sch. 356
scholars. Pop. 3,048.
Miami, p-v., Whitewater t., Hamilton co., O., 119 w. s. w.
Columbus, 562 W. Situated on the w. bank of Miami r., 15 ms.
from its mouth. It contains three stores, 1 flouring m. and saw
m., 1 distillery, 40 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. There
is a bridge here across the Miami, and a macadamized turnpike to
Miami, t., Hamilton co., O. Situated at the n. bend of the Ohio
r., having the Ohio r. on its s. border, and the Wabash on the
n. w. Pod. 2,189.
Miami, t., Clermont co., O. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1
tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 flouring in., 1 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $48,750 8 sch. 527 scholars. Pop. 2,063.
Miami, t., Greene co., O. Drained by Little Miami r. and its
branches. It has 5 stores, cap. $42,500; 1 distillery, 2
flouring m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $46,200. Pop. 1,238.
Miami, t., Logan co., O. It has 4 sch. 145 scholars. Pop. 1,423.
Miami, t., Montgomery co., O. It has 13 sch. 1,369 scholars.
Miami, p-o., Saline co., Mo., 99 n. w. Jefferson City, 1,004 W.
The t. has 2 sch. 34 scholars. Pop. 601.
Miamisburgh, p-v., Miami t., Montgomery co., O., 78 w. by s.
Columbus, 473 W. Situated on the e. bank of Miami r., and on the
Miami canal. It contains 2 churches, 17 stores, 3 warehouses, a
market house, 1 cotton fac, 1 iron foundry, 1 brass foundry, 2
grist m., 1 steam saw m., 1 brewery, 1 tannery, and about 150
dwellings. A mile s. e. of the v. is one of the largest ancient
mounds in the state.
Micosukee, p-o., Leon co., Flor.
Michaelsville, p-v., Harford co., Md., 68 n, by e. Annapolis, 70
Michigan, lake, Mich. This is the largest lake which lies wholly
in the United States, being about 330 miles long and 60 broad,
containing about 16,981 sq. ms. or 10,868,000 acres. Its E coast
is generally sandy, but little indented with bays or inlets. The
principal bays are Green bay, in the n. w., and Great and Little
Traverse bays, on the E. It is connected with Lake Huron by the
Straits of Mackinac. Its waters are deep, and it affords
excellent fish. It contain; several islands in its n. part.
State of Michigan
Michigan Centre, p-v., Jackson co.,
Mich., 72 w. Detroit, 540 W.
Michigan City, p-v., Laporte co., Ia., 157 n. n. w.
Indianapolis, 666 W. Situated on the s. shore of Lake Michigan,
at the mouth of Trail cr., and was laid out in 1835. It is the
only harbor in this state. The location is generally healthy,
and well situated for trade. It contains 3 churches, 10 stores,
5 large warehouses, 1 flouring m., 1 foundry, a branch of the
State Bank of Indiana, and about 700 inhabitants. It is the n.
terminus of the great Michigan road, and also the proposed one
of several railroads and canals.
Michigantown, p-v., Clinton co., Ia., 42 n. by w. Indianapolis,
600 W. Situated on the Michigan road.
Michilimackinac, county and strait. (See Mackinaw.)
Middle, t, Cape May co., N. J. Bounded w. by Delaware bay, and
e. by the Atlantic. The surface is level; soil, sand and marsh.
Hereford inlet admits the Atlantic into the marshes and lagunes
for 4 ms. w. Watered by Goshen, Dyer's, Green, and Fishing crs.,
which flow into Delaware bay. It has 12 stores, cap. $19,000; 2
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 5 sch. 32S
.scholars. Pop. 1,624.
Middle Paxton, t., Dauphin co., Pa., 9 n. e. Harrisburg. The
surface is very mountainous; soil, gravelly. Drained by Fishing,
Stony, and Clark's crs. It contains 1 church. Anthracite coal is
found. It has 4 stores, cap. $11,500; 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 3 grist m., 6 saw on. Cap. in manufac. $39,800. 1
sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 1,560.
Middleborough, pt., Plymouth co., Mass., 40 3. by E. Boston, 433
W. It has several ponds, the outlets of which afford extensive
water power, and flow into Taunton r. Incorporated in 1660. It
contains 8 churches, 4 Baptist, 3 Congregational, and 1
Methodist. It is 15 ms. long and 9 wide, being one of the
largest townships in the state. It has extensive manufactures.
The v. contains 1 church, an academy, and about 50 dwellings. It
has 8 stores, cap. $51,000; 1 fulling m., 2 cotton fac. 2,500
sp., 1 furnace, 2 forges, 4 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$122,000. 1 acad. 172stud'ts, 40sch. 1,562 scho'ls. Pop. 5,085.
Middlebourne, p-o., Oxford t., Guernsey co., O., 92 e. Columbus,
Middlebourne, p-v., capital of Tyler co., Va., 307 n. w.
Richmond, 275 W. Situated on the e. side of Middle Island creek.
It contains a court house and a few dwellings.
Middlebrook, p-v., Augusta co., Va., 129 w. n. w. Richmond, 170
Middlebrook Mills, p-o., Montgomery co., Maryland.
Middleburg, pt., Schoharie co., N. Y., 37 w. Albany, 378 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, in the valleys, calcareous loam and
alluvion, and very fertile. A pond, or marsh, called The Vly,
discharges to the n. a mill stream, which flows into Schoharie
kill. From the s. E. flows a branch of Catskill cr. The v. is
situated on the e. side of Schoharie creek, and contains 1 Dutch
Reformed and 1 Lutheran church, 5 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m.,
2 tanneries, 1 furnace, 1 clothier's works, 50 dwellings, and
about 300 inhabitants. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap.
$16,300; 4 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 6 grist m., 23 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $14,600. 20 sch. 888 scholars. Pop. 3,813.
Middleburg, p-v., Centre t, Union co.. Pa., 77 n. Harrisburg,
Middleburg, p-v., Carroll co., Md., 78 n. w. Annapolis, 61 W.
Middleburg, p-v., Loudon co., Va., J 34 n. Richmond, 47 W.
Middleburg, p-v., Hardiman co., Term., 169 s. w. by w.
Nashville, 854 W. It contains 1 church and several dwellings.
Middleburg, p-v., Casey co., Ky., 61 s. Frankfort, 575 W.
Middleburg, t., Cuyahoga co., O. Watered by the e. branch of
Rocky r., which affords water power, by Baldwin's cr., and the
outlet of a pond called Lake Abraham, near the centre of the t.
It contains the v. of Berea, where is a manual labor literary
institution. It has 1 furnace, 1 flouring m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,000. 4 sch. 83 scholars. Pop. 399.
Middleburg, p-v., Zane t., Logan co., O. Situated between 2 head
streams of Big Darby cr., and contains 4 churches, 1 Episcopal,
1 Methodist, 1 Protestant Methodist, and 1 Christian, 3 stores,
a steam saw m., 1 printing office, issuing a weekly newspaper,
50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!