Middlebury, VT to Midway, TN
Middlebury, pt., capital of Addison co., Vt., 33 s. s. k.
Burlington, 59 s. w. Montpelier, 481 W. The surface is
moderately uneven; soil, a fertile clay loam. Watered by Otter
Creek r., which affords extensive water power. Chartered in
1761. The v. is situated at the falls on both sides of Otter
cr., is irregularly laid out, but handsomely built, and contains
a court house, jail, 5 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal,
1 Methodist, 1 Baptist, and 1 Roman Catholic, a bank, and is one
of the most extensive manufacturing places in the state. Here is
a marble quarry, on the bank of the creek, which affords some of
the finest statuary marble, and is extensively wrought for
various purposes. It is the seat of Middlebury College, which
was founded in 1800, has a president and 7 professors, or other
instructors; has had 758 alumni, of whom 245 have been ministers
of the gospel; has 53 students, (in 1842,) and 7,054 vols, in
its libraries. The commencement is on the third Wednesday in
August. The college edifices are 2, one of them of stone, 106
feet long, 40 feet wide, and 4 stories high, containing 48 rooms
for students. There are in the t. 16 stores, cap. $55,700; 6
fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 3,860 sp., 2 tanneries,
1 furnace, 1 forge, 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 weekly
newspapers, and 1 periodical, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $172,700. 1 college, 62 students, 2 acad. 70 students,
12 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 3,162.
Middlebury, pt., New Haven co., Ct., 52 w. s. w. Hartford, 310
W. The surface is hilly and rough; soil, a coarse gravelly loam.
Watered by branches of Naugatuck r., and by Quassepaug pond, the
outlet of which affords water power, and flows into Housatonic
River. Incorporated in 1807. It has 1 Congregationalist and 1
Methodist church. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,725; 1 tannery, 3
distilleries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,615. 1
academy 22 students, 6 sch. 138 scholars. Pop. 761.
Middlebury, pt., Wyoming co., N. Y., 247 w. Albany, 365 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, a fertile sandy and clay loam. Drained
by Allen's cr., and a tributary of Tonawanda cr. It has 5
stores, cap. $1,800; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,000. 1 acad. 300 students, 23 sch.
1,154 scholars. Pop. 2,445.
Middlebury, t., Tioga co., Pa. It has 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 7
saw m. Cap. in manufactures $10,550. 7 sch. 158 scholars. Pop.
Middlebury, p-v., Talmadge t., Summit co., O., 125 n. E.
Columbus, 320 W. Situated on both sides of Little Cuyahoga r.,
which affords good water power. It contains 1 Presbyterian
Church, an academy, 7 stores, 2 flouring m., 1 machine shop, 2
wool carding and cloth dressing fac, 1 sash fac, 1 cabinet and
chair fac, and various other mechanic shops.
Middlebury, t., Knox co., O. It is fertile and well settled. It
has 8 sch. 233 scholars. Pop. 1,004.
Middlebury, p-v., Elkhart co., Ia., 162 n. Indianapolis, 593 W.
Middle Creek, pt., Union co., Pa. It has 1 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $4,000. Pop. 562.
Middle Creek, p-o., Monroe co., O., 113 e. Columbus, 302 W.
Middle Fabius, p-o., Adair co., Mo.
Middlefield, pt., Hampshire co., Mass., 124 w. Boston, 338 W.
The surface is elevated; soil, well adapted to grazing. Watered
by a branch of Westfield River. Incorporated in 1783. There are
in the t. 4 stores, cap. $7,500; 6 fulling m., 2 woolen
factories, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$31,600. 9 sch. 246 scholars. Pop. 1,717.
Middlefield, pt., Otsego co., N. Y., 64 w. Albany, 387 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, sandy calcareous loam. Bounded on the w.
by Otsego Lake and outlet; on the E. by Cherry Valley cr. It has
7 stores, cap. $15,300; 3 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 5 grist m., 18 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$121,340. 2 acad. 58 students, 17 sch. 820 scholars. Pop. 3,319.
Middlefield, p-o., Batavia t., Geauga co., O., 169 n. e.
Columbus, 328 W.
Middlefield Centre, p-o., Middlefield t., Otsego co., N. Y., 62
w. Albany, 373 W.
Middleford, p-v., Sussex co., Del., 43 s. Dover, 120 W.
Middle Fork, p-o., Clinton co., Ia., 48 n. n. w. Indianapolis,
Middle Fork, p-o., Vermilion co., Ill.
Middle Fork, pt., Macon co., Mo., 92 n. by w. Jefferson City. It
has 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 535.
Middle Granville, p-v., Granville t., Washington co., N. Y., 65
n. n. e. Albany, 435 W. It contains 2 Presbyterian churches, 3
stores, 1 cotton factory, 1 grist m., 1 tannery, and about 50
Middle Grove, p-o., Fulton co., Ill., 53 n. w. Springfield, 813
Middle Grove, p-o., Monroe co., Mo., 84 n. Jefferson City, 947
Middle Haddam, p-v., Chatham t., Middlesex co., Ct., 21 s. s. E.
Hartford, 333 W. Situated on the e. side of Connecticut r.
Middle Hope, p-o., Newburgh t., Orange co., N. Y., 88 s. by w.
Albany, 290 W.
Middle Island, p-v., Brookhaven t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 211 s.
s. e. Albany, 285 W. It has a Methodist church and 12 or 15
Middle Mountain, p-o., Botetourt co., Va., 192 w. Richmond, 242
Middleport, p-v., Royalton t., Niagara co., N. Y., 285 w. by N.
Albany, 400 W. Situated on the Erie canal, and contains 2
churches, 9 stores, 3 warehouses, 2 flouring m., 1 furnace, 2
tanneries, 1 clothier's works, 65 dwellings, and about 400
Middleport, p-v., Schuylkill co., Pa., 71 N. E. Harrisburg, 181
W. It contains 2 stores, and 20 or 30 dwellings, inhabited
chiefly by persons connected with the coal mines in the
Middleport, p-v., Elkhart co., Ia., 157 N Indianapolis, 608 W.
Middleport, p-v., Iroquois co., HI., 192 n. e Springfield, 694
Middle River, p-o., Franklin co., Ga., 120 w. Milledgeville, 606
Middlesex, County, Mass. Situated in the e part
of the state, and contains 800 sq. ms. The surface is uneven;
soil, various. Watered by Merrimac, Charles, Mystic, Sudbury,
Concord, and Nashua rivers. The Middlesex canal passes through
the n. e. part. Capitals, Concord, Cambridge, and Lowell. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 33,706, sheep 8,351, swine 20,591;
wheat 9,502 bush, produced, rye 61,105, Ind. corn 230,473,
buckwheat 5,974, barley 28,539, oats 86,021, Potatoes 741,851;
13 houses in foreign trade, capital $165,000; 553 stores, cap.
$1,383,400; 23 lumber yards, cap. $230,000; 2 furnaces, 36
forges, 7 fulling m., 18 woolen fac, 35 cotton fac. 189,664 sp.
34 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 1 brewery, 4 powder m., 5
potteries. 2 flouring m., 98 grist m., 141 saw m., 2 oil m., 13
paper fac, 13 printing offices, 12 binderies, 6 periodicals, 8
weekly, 2 semiweekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $12,215,055. 1
college, 341 students, 44 acad. 4,014 students, 389 sch. 24,876
scholars. Pop. 106,611.
Middlesex, County, Ct. Centrally situated
toward the s. part of the state, and contains 342 sq. ms.
Watered by Connecticut r., which runs centrally through it, and
small tributaries which enter it. The river affords great
facilities for navigation, and the small tributaries furnish
water power. The surface is uneven; soil, generally good,
particularly on the r. Capitals, Middletown and Haddam. There
were in 1840, neat rattle 15,667, sheep 14,758, swine 8,494;
wheat 3,463 bushels produced, rye 54,224, Indian corn 103,920,
buckwheat 9,169, barley 941, oats 40,028, Potatoes 181,673; 105
stores, cap. $508,846; 7 umber yards, cap. $62,000; 8 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 8 cotton fac. 7,646 sp., 1 dyeing and printing
estab., 15 tanneries, 1 powder m., 23 grist m., 12 saw m., 4
printing offices, 1 bindery, 1 periodical, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $871,354. 1 college, 147 students, 7 acad. 328;
students, 123 sch. 5,225 scholars. Pop. 24,879.
Middlesex, County, N. J. Situated near the
center of the state, and contains 339 sq. ms. The surface on the
s. e. is level, on the n. and n. e. it is undulating. The soil
is various, from a light and to a strong clay, and in some parts
highly cultivated. Watered by Raritan River and its branches.
Millstone r. and Railway r. Raritan ay forms an excellent
harbor, communicating directly with the ocean, and with New
York, through Staten Island sound. Capital, New Brunswick. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 2,932, sheep 8,310, swine 11,658;
wheat 35,933 bush. produced, rye 60,726, Ind. corn 194,474,
buckwheat 42,234, barley 1,519, oats 185,730, potatoes 86,965;
136 stores, cap. $412,500; 5 lumber yards, cap. $32,000; 1
cotton fac, 6 tanneries, 15 distilleries, 3 potteries, 1
flouring m., 21 grist m., 20 saw m., 2 paper fac, 4 printing
offices, binderies, 1 daily, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac $441,900. 3 acad. 113 students. 70; sch. 2,340 scholars.
Middlesex, County, Va. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 170 sq. ms. It lies between the
Rappahannock and Piankatank Rivers, with Chesapeake Bay on the
e. Capital, Urbanna. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,633,
sheep 2,603, swine 6,801; wheat 17,027 bushels produced, rye
1,143, Indian corn 122,145, oats 1,073, Potatoes 7,527, tobacco
1,350 pounds, cotton 2,620; 14 stores, cap. $25,600; 1 tannery,
1 flouring in., 11 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,925.
10 sch. 202 scholars. Pop. whites 2,620, slaves 2,209, free
col'd 142; total, 4,392.
Middlesex, pt., Washington co., Vt., 6 n. e. Montpelier. It is
bounded on the s. w. by Onion River, by the n. branch of which
it is watered, The surface is uneven, and the soil, particularly
along the streams, is fertile. Between the t. and Moretown,
Onion r. passes through a rocky chasm, with perpendicular walls,
30 feet deep, 60 feet wide, and 80 rods long, across which a
bridge is thrown. It is a curiosity. The v. is on the s. line of
the t., on Onion r. and contains a church, store, and several
mills and manufactories. The t. has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1
grist m., 3 saw m., 1. m. Cap. in manufac. $4,900. 12 sch. 487
scholars. Pop. 1,270.
Middlesex, pt., Yates co., N. Y., 194 w. Albany, 323 W. The
surface is slightly hilly; soil, fertile gravelly loam, well
adapted to grain, rained by West cr., flowing into Canandaigua
Lake, which bounds it on the w. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $2,550. 12 sch. 610 scholars. Pop. 1,439.
Middlesex, t., Butler co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1
fulling m., 5 grist m., 3 saw mills. Cap. in manufac. $11,825. 9
sch. 345 scholars. Pop. 1,692.
Middlesex, p-o., Ashtabula co., O., 206 n. e. Columbus, 343 W.
Middlesex Village, p-v., Middlesex co., Mass., 23 Boston, 441 W.
Middle Smithfield, t., Monroe co., Pa. It has 1 tannery, 2 grist
m., 2 saw m. Pop. 1,144.
Middle Spring, p-o., Marion co., O., 54 n. Columbus, 428 W.
Middle Swamp, p-o., Gates co., N. C, 133 e. n. e. Raleigh, 234
Middleton, pt., Strafford co., N. H., 38 n. n. e. Concord, 519
W. The surface is level, but rough. Incorporated in 1778. It has
1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 4 sch.
155 scholars. Pop. 482.
Middleton, pt., Essex co., Mass., 22 n. Boston, 462 W. Situated
on both sides of Ipswich r., which affords water power.
Incorporated in 1728. It has a paper m., which has manufactured
100 tons of stock in a year, producing to the amount of $35,000.
It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac. Cap.
in manufac. $10,000. 4 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 657.
Middleton, t., Wood co., O. It has 1 sch. 54 scholars. Pop. 193.
Middleton, p-v., Carroll co., Miss., 102 n. Jackson, 987 W.
Middleton, p-v., White co., Ark., 62 N. E. Little Rock, 1,083 W.
Middletown, pt., Rutland co., Vt., 77 s. s. w. Montpelier, 441
W. Situated between 2 mountains. Watered by Poultney r., which
affords water power. The soil is adapted to grazing. The v. at
the centre contains a Congregational and a Baptist church,
several stores, and a number of neat dwellings. The t. has 9 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $9,075. 9 sch. 333 scholars. Pop. 1,077.
Middletown, t., Newport co., R. I., 23 s. by e. Providence. It
is the middle of the 3 townships into which Rhode Island is
divided. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile loam, and
highly cultivated. Incorporated in 1743. It has 2 grist m. Cap.
in manufac. $1,800. 5 sch. 148 scholars. Pop. 891.
Middletown, city, pt., port of entry, and semi-capital of
Middlesex co., Ct., is pleasantly situated on the w. bank of
Connecticut r., 34 ms. above its mouth, in 41° 33' 8" n. lat.,
and 72° 39' w. Ion., 14 s. Hartford, 24 n. e. New Haven, 35 n.
w. New London, 326 W. Pop. 1820, 2,618, including the t. 6,479;
1830, 2,965, including the t. 6,892; 1840, 3,511, including the
t. 7,010. The ground rises gradually from the river, and the
principal streets run parallel with it, and are crossed by
others running at right angles with them. Main street, the
principal street, is broad, and has many fine houses and stores.
The city is well built, chiefly of brick, and in the back parts
are many elevated and fine situations, with a commanding view of
the river and surrounding country. It is at the head of ship
navigation, and any vessels which can cross the bar at the mouth
of the river, can come up to its wharves, which have 10 feet
water. It has a daily communication with Hartford and the city
of New York by steamboats. A ferry boat connects the city with
Chatham. Its public buildings are a handsome court house of
Grecian architecture, a fine stone custom house, 2 banks,
besides one for savings, a jail, an almshouse, and 7 churches, 2
Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1
Universalist, and 1 African. It is the seat of the Wesleyan
University, under the direction of the Methodists, founded in
1831. It has a president and 8 professors or tutors, 110 alumni,
80 students, and 6,500 vols, in its libraries. The commencement
is on the first Thursday in August. The college buildings occupy
an elevated position, and command an extensive prospect. The
institution has a valuable philosophical apparatus, and is
The t. extends 9 ms. from n. to s., and is from 4 to 10 broad.
It was settled in 1636. It rests chiefly on secondary red
sandstone. A range of granite crosses Connecticut r. a little
below, and forms the basis of a range of high hills. To the
north of the city is a village called Middletown Upper Houses.
Middletown has considerable commerce and manufactures. There
were in 1840, 37 stores, cap. $269,500; 3 lumber yards, cap.
$40,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 11,000 sp., 1
dyeing and printing estab., 2 tanneries, 1 powder m., 2 grist
m., 5 saw m., 1 rope walk, 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2
weekly newspapers, 1 periodical. Capital in manufac. $379,600. 3
acad. 115 students, 33 sch. 1,268 scholars. Tonnage of the port,
Middletown, pt., Delaware co., N. Y., 79 w. s. w. Albany, 335 W.
The surface is mountainous; soil, a sandy loam, and productive.
Drained by Papacton branch of Delaware r. It has 8 stores, cap.
$16,300; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 7 grist m., 19 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $38,260. 20 sch. 754 scholars. Pop. 2,608.
Middletown, v.. Orange county, N .Y. (See South Middletown.)
Middletown, pt., Monmouth co., N. J., 51 e. n. e. Trenton, 220
W. The surface on the e., and in the centre, is hilly, elsewhere
level. The soil is loam, sand, and clay, made productive by the
use of marl. Sandy Hook bay runs s. into the t., and is bounded
s. w. by the highlands of Nevisink, and on the e. by the sand
beach forming Sandy Hook, extending 6 ms. N. from Shrewsbury
inlet. Drained by Swimming and Nevisink Rivers. The v. contains
3 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Dutch Reformed, and 1 Baptist, 2
stores, and 30 dwellings, some of them very neat. There are in
the t. 33 stores, cap. $48,825; 3 lumber yards, cap. $2,900; 2
fulling m., 3 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 11 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. s65,250. 1 acad. 60 students, 19 sch. 1,239
scholars. Pop. 6,063.
Middletown, p-b., Swatara t., Dauphin co., Pa., 10 s. e.
Harrisburg, 120 W. Situated near the junction of Swatara and
Susquehanna rivers, where the Pennsylvania and Union canals
unite. Incorporated in 1829. It contains 2 churches, 7 stores,
and 200 dwellings. It has several neat dwellings, and fine
stores. Its trade is considerable in grain, flour, lumber, coal,
Middletown, t., Bucks co., Pa., 20 n. n. e. Philadelphia. The
surface is rolling: soil, clay. Watered by Neshaminy cr., which
forms its w. boundary, a tributary of which passes through the
t., and Bristol creek. It has 4 stores, capital $15,001); 1
acad. 27 students, 2 sch. 17 scholars. Pop. 2,124.
Middletown, t., Delaware co., Pa., 20 w. Philadelphia. The
surface is level; soil, clay and loam. Chester cr. runs on its
w. boundary, and Ridley cr. on its e. border. It has 3 stores,
cap. $9,300; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 cotton fac. 4,800
sp., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $95,500. 5 sch. 126
scholars. Pop. 1,451.
Middletown, t., Susquehanna co., Pa. Drained by Wyalusing cr.
and its branches. The surface is hilly; soil, gravel and clay.
It has 1 tannery, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,850. 7 sch. 140
scholars. Pop. 539.
Middletown, p-v., New Castle co., Del., 47 n. Dover, 121 W.
Situated upon Appoquinimink creek.
Middletown, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 8 n. w. by w. Frederick,
83 n. w. Annapolis, 51 W. Situated on Middle cr., a branch of
Middletown, p-v., Frederick co., Va., 158 n. n. w. Richmond, 87
W. Situated on Meadow run, upon which are several mills. It
contains 2 churches, 5 stores, an academy, and about 400
inhabitants, many of whom are employed in the manufacture of
Middletown, p-v., Hyde co., N. C.,219 e. by s. Raleigh, 404 W.
Middletown, p-v., Butler co., Ala., 162, s. s e. Tuscaloosa, 904
Middletown, p-v., Lemon t., Butler co. O., 30 n. Cincinnati, 90
w. s. w. Columbus, 430 W. Situated on the E. side of Miami r.
The Miami canal passes through the place. It contains, 3
churches, 11 stores, 2 pork houses, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 1
academy, 150 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants. There is
here a toll bridge across the r.
Middletown v., Butler t., Columbiana co., O. Pop. 27.
Middletown, t., Columbiana co., O. It has 7 sch. 147 scholars.
Middletown, p-v., Jefferson co., Ky., 42 w Frankfort, 584 W. It
contains 1 church, am about 200 inhabitants.
Middletown, p-v., Henry co., Ia., 44 e. by n Indianapolis, 546
W. Situated on the w. side of Fall cr.
Middletown, t., Shelby co., Ia. It has 2 stores, cap. $400. Cap.
in manufac $710. Pop. 70
Middletown, p-v., Logan co., Ill., 20 n. e. Springfield, 792 W.
Middletown, p-v., Montgomery co., Mo., 5 N. E. Jefferson City,
Middletown Point, p-v., port of deliver Middletown t., Monmouth
co., N. J., 43 e. by n Trenton, 209 W. Situated on Middletown
cr., miles from Raritan Bay, on an elevated bank, 5 feet above
the stream. It contains a Presbyterian Church, a bank, 10
stores, and about 1C dwellings, many of them neat. It has
Middleville, p-v., Fairfield t., Herkimer cc N. Y., 82 w. n. w.
Albany, 401 W. Situated on both sides of West Canada cr. It
contains church, 3 stores, 2 cotton fac, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1
cabinet and chair fac, 50 dwellings, at about 300 inhabitants.
Middleville, p-o., Barry co., Mich., 154 w. by N. Detroit, 619
Middleway, p-v., Jefferson co., Va., 162 n. by w. Richmond, 72
Midland, County, Mich. Situated in the n. e. part of the settled
portion of the peninsula, on Saginaw Bay, and contains 560 sq.
ms. Watered by Tittibawassee r., and Chippewa r., its tributary,
which receives Fine r. from the s. Capital Midland.
Mid River, p-o., Caroline co., Va., 57 s. Richmond, 76 W.
Midway, p-o., Davidson co., N. C, 119 Raleigh, 330 W.
Midway, p-v., Barnwell dist., S. C., 72 s. s. w. Columbia, 578
Midway, p-v., Jones co., Ga., 22 w. Milledgeville, 657 W.
Midway, p-v., Monroe co., Tenn., 164 e. s. e. Nashville, 544 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!