Mississippi County, AR to Monohan, PA
Mississippi, County, Ark.
Situated in the n. e. part of the state, and contains 1,000 sq.
ms. It lies between Mississippi r. on the e., and St. Francis r.
on the w. Drained by Whitewater r. Capital, Osceola. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 3,042, sheep 76, swine 5,022; Ind. corn
107,615 bush, produced, Potatoes 3,908, cotton 22,500; 1 store,
cap. $14,000; 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. whites 900, slaves 510;
Mississippi City, p-v., capital of Harrison co., Miss., 265 s.
s. e. Jackson, 1,143 W. Situated on the Gulf coast. It contains
a court house, several stores and dwellings.
Mississippi, t., Scott co., Mo. Pop. 615.
Missouri River, a large river in the United
States, rises in the Rocky mountains, and takes this name after
the union of three branches, denominated Jefferson, Gallatin,
and Madison, in 45° 10' N. lat., and 110 w. Ion. The spring
sources of the Missouri and those of the Columbia, which flows
w. to the Pacific, are not more than a mile apart. At the
distance of 411 miles from the extreme point of navigation of
its head branches, the Missouri passes through the Rocky
Mountains by what is denominated the Gates, the view of which is
exceedingly grand. For a distance of 6 miles, the rocks rise
perpendicularly from the water's edge to the height of nearly
1,200 feet. The river is compressed to the width of 150 yards,
and rushes impetuously through this great mountain passage, 110
miles below this and 521 from its source, are the great falls,
2,575 ms. above its entrance into the Mississippi. The river
descends 357 feet in 18 miles, by a succession of falls. The
greatest fall is 87 feet perpendicular, and the next is 47. The
width of the river is here about 350 yards, and these falls,
next to Niagara, are probably the grandest in the world. The
Yellowstone r., 800 yards wide at its mouth, enters the Missouri
from the s. w., 521 miles from its source, and 1,8S0 miles from
its mouth. The Chienne, 400 yards at its mouth, enters it on the
s. w., 1,310 miles from its mouth. The White River, 300 yards
wide, enter it on the s. w., 1,130 miles from its mouth. The
James and the Big Sioux enter it from the n. The Platte, 600
yards wide, enters it from the s. w. 2,496 miles from its
source, and 600 from mouth, in lat. 41° 4' n. The Kansas, 233
yards wide, enters it from the s. w., 340 miles from mouth, in
lat. 39° 5', 2,756 miles from its source. Grand River enters it
from the n. e., 240 mi from its mouth, and is 190 yards wide. La
Mine River enters it from the s. w. Osage River, 397 yards wide,
enters it from the s. w., 200 mi from its mouth, 2,963 miles
from its source, lat. 38° 45'. The Gasconade also enters it from
the s. w. The Missouri enters the Mississippi 3,096 miles from
its source, which added to 1,395 mil the distance to the Gulf of
Mexico, makes whole length 4,491 miles. Through this vast length
there is no substantial obstruction to navigation, excepting the
great falls Its principal tributaries are each navigable from
100 to 800 miles. Through the greater part of course the
Missouri is a rapid and turbid stream. The fertile land on its
margin, and on those its tributaries, is not very broad, and
back of this are prairies of vast extent. The country which it
waters, is much of it not as inviting for settlement as that of
some of the other tributaries the Mississippi. The river is half
a mile wide to its entrance into the Mississippi, but through
the greater part of its course it is much wider.
State of Missouri
Missouri, t., Boone co, Mo. It has 8
sch. 260 scholars. Pop. 2,964.
Missouri, t, Scott co., Mo. Pop. 504.
Missouri, p-v., Pike co., Ala., 165 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 873 W.
Missouri, t., Pike co., Ark. Pop. 205.
Missouri, t. Hempstead co., Ark. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1
sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 672.
Missouriton, p-v., St. Charles co., Mo., 92 e. by n. Jefferson
City, 854 W. Situated on the n. side of the Missouri r.
Mitchell's Mills, p-o., Indiana co., Pa., 166 w. by n.
Harrisburg, 219 W.
Mitchell's Store, p-o., Goochland co., Va., 41 w. n. w.
Richmond, 156 W.
Mitchell's Store, p-o., Tishemingo co., Miss., 213 e. n. e.
Jackson, 840 W.
Mitchell, t., Poinsett co., Ark. It has 1 distillery, 1 grist m.
Cap. in manufac. $250. 1 sch. 17 scholars. Pop. 414.
Mitchellsville, p-v., Robertson co., Tenn., 34 n. Nashville, 6S6
Mixenburgh, p-v., Greene co., Ala.
Mixville, p-v., Hume t., Alleghany co., N. V., 267 w. by s.
Albany, 349 W. Situated on West Koy cr., which has a succession
of falls of 73 feet, affording extensive water power. It
contains 1 grist m., 2 saw m., and 15 or 20 dwellings.
Mobile, Bay, Ala. The bay sets up from the Gulf of Mexico, and
is 30 ms. long, and, on an average, 12 miles broad. It
communicates with the gulf by 2 straits, one on each side of
Dauphin Island. The strait on the w. side, will not admit of
vessels drawing more than 5 feet water; that on the e. side,
between the island and Mobile Point, has 18 feet water, and the
channel passes within a few yards of the point. There is a bar
across the bay, near its upper end, which has only 11 feet
Mobile, r., Ala., is formed by the junction of the Alabama and
Tombigbee Rivers, 40 ms. above Mobile city. A few miles below
the junction, it divides into several channels. The main western
channel is called the Mobile; the main eastern channel, which is
the deepest and widest, is called the Tensaw. It is navigable
for vessels drawing 5 or 6 feet of water by the Tombigbee branch
to St. Stephens, and by the Alabama branch to Claiborne. The two
branches unite in 31° 06' n. lat., and 11° 05' w. Ion. from W.
In times of flood it sometimes rises 50 or 60 feet.
Mobile, County, Ala. Situated in the s. w. part
of the state, and contains 2,250 square miles. Tombigbee and
Mobile rivers run on its e. border, by small branches of which
it is drained on the e.; on the w. it is drained by branches of
Pascagoula r. Pascagoula Bay lies on its s. border. The surface
is undulating near the gulf and hilly toward the n.; and the
soil is sterile, covered chiefly with pine forest. Capital,
Mobile. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,280, sheep 934, swine
8,969; Ind. corn 31,991 bush, produced, Potatoes 32,800; 21
commercial and 93 commission houses, cap. $3,129,612; 248
stores, capital $1,861,695; 22 grist m., 20 saw m., 5 printing
offices, 1 bindery, 3 daily, 4 weekly, 1 semiweekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $475,600. 1 college, 62 students, 11 acad. 297
students, 11 sch. 170 scholars. Pop. whites 11,763, slaves
6,191, free col'd 787; total, 18,741.
Mobile, city, port of entry, and capital of Mobile co., Ala.,
217 s. by w. Tuscaloosa, 1,013 W. Situated on the w. side of a
river of the same name, at its entrance into Mobile Bay, 30 n.
Mobile Point, at the mouth of the bay, 55 w. by n. Pensacola, 10
w. by s. Blakeley, 90 by land, and 120 by water s. St. Stephens,
160 e. n. e. New Orleans, in 30° 40' n, lat., 88° 21' w. Ion.
Pop. 1830, 3,194; 1840, 12,672, of whom 3,869 were slaves. It
contains a court house, jail, market, custom house, city
hospital, a United States naval hospital, 3 banks, Barton
Academy, 7 churches, I Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 2
Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 African. It is situated on a
beautiful and extended plain, elevated 15 feet above the highest
tides, open to refreshing breezes from the bay, and commanding a
beautiful prospect. Vessels drawing more than 8 feet water pass
up Spanish r., 6 miles, around a marshy island into Mobile r.,
and then drop down to the city. It has 46 wharves and next to
New Orleans, it is the greatest cotton mart of the south;
329,000 bales have been exported in a year. The exports amount
to from 12 to 16 millions of dollars annually. Tonnage of the
port, 1840, 17,243. It is defended by Fort Morgan, formerly Fort
Bowyer, situated on a long, low, sandy point, at the mouth of
the bay, 30 ms. below the city, opposite to Dauphin Island. It
was surrendered to the Americans by Spain in 1813, chartered as
a town in 1814, incorporated as a city in 1819. It has suffered
severely by fire; 170 buildings were burned in 1827, and 600 in
1839. But it has been rebuilt, with additional beauty and
convenience. Excellent water is brought in iron pipes, a
distance of 2 ms., and distributed over the city.
Mocksville, p-v., capital of Davie co., N. C, 141 w. Raleigh,
Modena, p-o., Plattekill t., Ulster co., N. Y., 80 s. s. w.
Albany, 300 W.
Modest Town, p-v., Accomac co., Va., 228 E. Richmond, 192 W.
Situated 2 ms. from tidewater. It contains 1 Baptist and 1
Methodist church, 2 stores, various mechanics, 1 tannery, and
about 50 inhabitants.
Moffett's Store, p-o., New Lebanon t., Columbia co., N. Y., 19
s. Albany, 372 W.
Moffettsville, p-v., Anderson dist., S. C, 117 w. n. w.
Columbia, 549 W.
Moffitt's Mills, p-o., Randolph co., N. C, 67 w. Raleigh, 341 W.
Mohawk, r., N. Y., rises in Oneida co., and after a course first
s. and then e. by s., 135 miles, it enters the Hudson r. by
several mouths, at Waterford, 8 or 10 ms. above Albany. It has 2
principal falls, Little Falls of 40 feet, and the Cahoos, of 70
feet perpendicular, 2 ms. from its mouth. Both these falls
afford extensive water power. Below the Cahoos is a bridge
across the r., from which the view of the falls is sublime and
beautiful. The Erie Canal passes along its banks, as far as
Rome. The lands on the borders of the r. are very fertile.
Mohawk, p-v., German Flats t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 79 w. n. w.
Albany. Situated on the s. side of Mohawk r., on the Erie Canal
and contains a church, a bank, 10 stores, 120 dwellings, and
about 700 inhabitants.
Mohawk, t., Montgomery co., N. Y. It contains the v. of Fonda,
the capital of the county. The surface is hilly n.; level and
very fertile in the valley of the Mohawk, which r. bounds it on
the s. It has 7 stores, cap. $21,000; 2 fulling m., 1 flouring
m., 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,000. 9 sch. 288
scholars. Pop. 3,112.
Mohican, pt., Wayne co., O., 88 n. e. Columbus, 359 W. Pop.
Mohrsville, p-o., Berks co., Pa., 62 e. Harrisburg, 155 W.
Moira, pt., Franklin co., N. Y., 227 n. by w. Albany, 518 W. The
surface is level; soil, sandy loam. Drained by Little Salmon r.
The v. contains 1 free church, 1 store, and 15 or 20 dwellings.
Molltown, p-v., Berks co., Pa., 64 e. Harrisburg, 156 W.
Monadnock Mountain, N. H., commonly called Grand Monadnock, is
situated in Cheshire co., 22 e. Connecticut r., between Jaffrey
and Dublin. It extends about 5 ms. from n. to s., and 3 ms. from
e. to w. It rises 3,254 feet above the level of the sea, and may
be seen at the distance of 60 ms. in every direction. The summit
consists of bald rock, and the prospect from it is extensive and
grand. Plumbago or blacklead is found, in large quantities on
its e. side. There is a mineral spring near its base in Jaffrey.
Monday Creek, t., Perry co., O. It has 5 sch. 150 scholars. Pop.
Monegan, t., Rives co., Mo. It has 3 sch. 55 scholars. Pop.
Mongoquinong, p-v., La Grange co., Ia., 176 n. by e.
Indianapolis, 564 W.
Monguagon, t., Wayne co., Mich. Surface gently undulating. It is
partly comprised of an island of the same name in the Detroit
strait. Pop. 307.
Monhegan, Island, Lincoln co., Me. It has 1 sch. 42 scholars.
Moniteau, pt., Cole co., Mo., 20 n. w. Jefferson City, 956 W. It
has 2 sch. 51 scholars. Pop 1,533.
Moniteau, t., Cooper co., Mo. It has 1 acad. 24 students, 4 sch.
120 scholars. Pop. 1,514.
Moniteau, t., Howard co., Mo. It has 7 sch. 163 scholars. Pop.
Monk's Corners, p-o., Charleston dist., S.C., 149 s. e.
Columbia, 956 W.
Monkton, pt., Addison co., Vt., 50 w. by s. Montpelier, 500 W.
The surface is uneven; soil well adapted to grazing. Watered by
branch of Lewis cr. On the s. border of the t. is a pond a mile
long and half a mile wide, the outlet of which flows into Lewis
cr. Iron ore is found in large quantities in the s. part, of a
superior quality A mile n. of the ore bed is found an extensive
bed of kaolin, or porcelain clay. The t. contains 3 churches. It
has 3 stores, cap. $15,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufacture: $10,500. 12 sch. 555 scholars. Pop. 1,310.
Monmouth, County, N. J. Situated in the e part
of the state, and contains 1,030 sq. ms. The surface is
generally level. The whole belong to the alluvial formation, and
consists of clay mingled with sand, gravel, and in low places
vegetable mold. In many parts marl is found which is extensively
and successfully used as a manure. Drained by Manasquan, Cedar,
Oyster, Manahocking, and Westecunk creeks, and Nevisink,
Shrewsbury, Tom's, and Forked rivers. From the n., Millstone and
South rivers flow to the Raritan, and the w. sends forth the
Assanpink, the Crosswick's, and the Rancocus to the Delaware.
Capital, Freehold. There were in 1840, neat cattle 19,592, sheep
18,694, swine 23,241; wheat 39,368 bush, prod., rye 166,01 Ind.
corn 493,554, buckwheat 39,256, bade 3,411, oats 144,066,
Potatoes 273,280, silk cocoons 1,234 pounds; 147 stores, cap.
$269,007; 8 lumber yards, cap. $9,200; 7 furnaces, 2 forges,
fulling m., 15 tanneries, 29 distilleries, 1 rope fac, 54 grist
m., 56 saw m., 2 printing offices, daily newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $245,36 2 acad. 111 students, 94 sch. 4,995 scholars.
Monmouth, pt., Kennebec co., Me., 16 s. w. Augusta, 592 W.
Watered by sources of Cobbeseconte r. Incorporated in 1792. It
has pleasant v., in which is an academy. It contains 7 stores,
cap. $3,700; 1 fulling m., 4 tanneries, flouring m., 4 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in man fac. $9,694. 1 acad. 164 students. Populate
Monmouth, p-v., Adams co., Ia., 135 n. e. Indianapolis, 525 W.
Situated on the n. e. side St. Mary's r.
Monmouth, p-v., capital of Warren co., 1 120 n. w. Springfield,
850 W. Situated in a prairie, a little s. of Henderson r., and
contain court house, 6 stores and groceries, and about 50
Monohan, t., York co., Pa. The surface undulating; soil,
gravelly, and calcareous loam. It has 2 distilleries, 2 flouring
m., 1 grist m 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $26,400, 4 sch. 160,
scholars. Pop. 770.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!