Narrows, MD to
Neshaminy River, PA
Narrows, p-o., Alleghany co., Md.
Nash, county, N. C. Situated a little n. e. of the centre of the state, and contains 640 sq. ms. Tar r. runs on its s. border, by branches of which it is drained. Capital, Nashville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 753, sheep 635, swine 2,257; wheat 833 bush. produced, Ind. corn 32,325, oats 5,882, potatoes 7,591, cotton 50,728 pounds; 9 sch. 138 scholars. Pop. whites 4,941, slaves 3,697, free col'd 409; total, 9,047.
Nashawn, island, Mass. One of the Elizabeth islands, on the s. e. side of Buzzard's bay, 9 ms. long and 2 broad.
Nashawenna, island, Mass. One of the Elizabeth islands. It is inhabited.
Nashport, p-v., Licking t., Muskingum co., O., 54 Columbus, 351 W. Situated on the Ohio and Erie canal. It contains 2 stores, 3 warehouses, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Nash's Stream, N. H., a branch of Upper Ammonoosuc r., which it enters from the n.
Nashua, r., Hillsborough co., N. H., runs partly in Mass., and flows into the Merrimac at Dunstable, N. H.
Nashua, p-t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 12 n. w. Lowell, 36 s. by e. Concord, 447 W. It is situated on the w. side of Merrimac r. It is level on the e., and uneven on the w. The soil is fertile.
Watered by Nashua r. The v. is situated on the n. side of Nashua r., near its entrance into the Merrimac, and contains 8 churches, 50 stores, and many elegant dwellings. The r. falls 65
feet in 2 ms., and produces an extensive water power, and here are large cotton factories. There are in the t. 50 stores, cap. $129,706; 5 cotton fac. 34,348 sp., 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,294,500. 1 acad. 214 students, 36 sch. 1,476 scholars. Pop. 6,054.
Nashville, p-o., Hanover t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 310 w. Albany, 358 W.
Nashville, p-v., Washington t., Holmes co., O., 82 n. e. Columbus, 354 W. It contains 1 Dutch Reformed and 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Nashville, p-v., capital of Nash co., N. C., 44 e. by n. Raleigh, 254 W. Situated on the s. side of Peach Tree cr., a branch of Tar r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.
Nashville, city, capital of Davidson co., Tenn., and of the state, is situated on the s. side of Cumberland r., in 36° 9' 33" n. lat., and 86° 49' 3" w. lon., 110 n. Huntsville, 183 w. Knoxville, 250 s. w. Lexington, Ky., 909 s. w. N. York, 684 W. Pop. 1830, 5,566; 1840, 6,929. It is pleasantly situated, and regularly laid out; the ground rises by a gentle inclination, and furnishes many pleasant situations for residences. It has
a court house, jail, and market house, 11 churches, 2 Baptist, 1 Christian, 1 Cumberland Presbyterian, 1 Presbyterian, 4 Methodist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Roman Catholic, 3 banks, the halls of the Nashville University, a lunatic asylum, and a state
penitentiary, 310 feet long, 350 deep and 2 stories high, containing 200 cells for convicts. The Nashville University was founded in 1806, has a president and 5 professors, or other instructors, 236 alumni, 292 students, and 10,000 vols. in its
libraries. The commencement is on the first Wednesday in October. Cumberland r. is here navigable for vessels of from 30 to 40 tons, and at high water for ships of 400 tons. 15 steam
boats are employed on the river, besides a great number of keel-boats and flat-boats. There were in 1840, 3 for. commercial and 8 commission houses, cap. $235,000; 75 retail stores, cap.
$1,606,400; 1 forge, 1 tannery, 1 paper fac., 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 1 daily, 5 weekly and 3 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $151,000. 3 acad. 320 students, 2 sch. 123 scholars. Tonnage, 4,733.
Nashville, p-v., Lowndes co., Miss., 155 n. e. Jackson, 871 W. Situated on the n. e. side of the Tombigbee r.
Nashville, p-v., capital of Brown co., Ia., 54 s. Indianapolis, 599 W. Situated on the n. side of Salt cr. It contains a court house and several dwellings.
Nashville, p-v., capital of Washington co., Ill., 118 s. by e. Springfield, 793 W. Situated on an elevated and beautiful prairie, at the head of Little Crooked cr., and contains a court house, 3 stores, a steam saw m., and about 20 dwellings.
Nashville, p-v., Boone co., Mo., 24 n. w. Jefferson City, 953 W. Situated on the n. side of the Missouri r.
Nassau, r., Flor., runs e. on the s. border of Nassau co., and enters by Nassau inlet into the Atlantic.
Nassau, county, Flor. Situated in the n. e. part of the ter., and contains 576 sq. ms. The surface is level, and in some parts marshy. Amelia Island occupies the whole front of its Atlantic coast. St. Mary's r. runs on its n. border, and Nassau r. on its s. border, by which, and their branches, it is drained. Capital, Nassau C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,686, sheep 436, swine 5,011, Indian corn 17,400 bushels produced, potatoes 16,000, rice 31,500 pounds, cotton 66,425; 2 stores, cap. $15,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $25,000; 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 5 sch. 60 scholars. Pop. whites 954, slaves 908, free col'd 30; total, 1,892.
Nassau, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 12 s. e. Albany, 365 W. The surface is uneven; soil, gravel and warm loam, and productive. Drained by Kinderkook cr. and its tributaries. The v. is pleasantly situated on a plain, and contains 3 churches--2 Presbyterian, and 1 Methodist--an academy, 5 stores, 1 grist m., 1 carriage fac., 50 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. There
are in the t. 10 stores, cap. $2,300; 3 fulling m., 6 woollen fac., 2 cotton fac. 3,158 sp., 3 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 6 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $74,780. 15 sch. 879 scholars. Pop. 3,236.
Natchez, city, and capital of Adams co., Miss., 100 s. w. Jackson, 1,110 W. It is situated on the e. bank of the Mississippi r., mostly on a bluff, elevated 150 feet above the level of the river, 155 ms. from New Orleans by land, and 292 by
the course of the river. A part of the place is built on the margin of the r. It is laid out in the form of a parallelogram, with streets intersecting each other at right angles, but the site is very uneven. Some of the houses are elegant, but they are mostly of wood, and only one story high. Almost every house has a piazza and a balcony, and many of them have gardens finely
ornamented with shrubbery, and stored with fruit. It has a court house, jail, 4 churches--1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Bethel for boatmen--3 banks, 1 academy, 1 female seminary, an hopsital, orphan asylum, masonic hall, theatre, 2 steam oil mills for manufacturing oil from cotton seed, and 4,800 inhabitants. Three miles from the city is a race-course. The country around contains excellent cotton lands,
and this place is a great cotton mart, and has an extensive and an increasing trade.
Natchaug, r., Ct., rises in Union and Woodstock, and enters Shetucket r., of which it is the
largest branch, on the line of Chaplin and Mansfield.
Natchitoches, parish, La. Situated in the n. w. part of the state, and contains 4,000 sq. ms. A greater portion of the par. consists of sterile land, covered with pine and some oak; but along the Red r., which drains it, the soil is fertile, and well adapted to cotton. The Sabine r. runs on its s. w. border. Capital, Natchitoches. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,217, sheep 1,938, swine 15,849, Indian corn 362,806 bushels produced,
oats 10,080, potatoes 26,563, tobacco 114,350 pounds, cotton 10,638,709; 49 stores, cap. $494,500; 4 tanneries, 10 grist m., 12 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $74,500. 2 acad. 128 students, 5 sch. 58 scholars. Pop. whites 4,042, slaves 6,651, free col'd 657; total, 14,350.
Natchitoches, (pronounced Nakitosh,) p-v., capital of Natchitoches par., La., 368 n. w. by w. New Orleans, 1,287 W. It is situated on the w. side of Red r., 200 ms. above its junction with the Mississippi r., at the foot of a bluff, and is built chiefly on one street. It contains a court house, jail, a Roman Catholic church, and a United States military post, 2 printing offices, issuing 2 weekly newspapers, and about 2,000 inhabitants. It has considerable trade. It was settled by the French in 1717, and half the present inhabitants are of French descent.
Nathansville, p-v., Conecuh co., Ala., 189 s. by w. Tuscaloosa, 950 W.
Natick, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 17 w. s. w. Boston, 423 W. Incorporated in 1781. Watered by Charles r., and contains numerous fish ponds. It has 2 villages. The n. village contains
1 Congregational and 1 Methodist church, and about 30 dwellings. The s. village is the oldest, and contains a Unitarian church and 20 dwellings. The Boston and Worcester railroad passes through it. The first Indian church in New England was formed here, by the Rev. Mr. Elliott, the apostle of the Indians, in 1660, and an Indian village was formed, consisting of 2 long
streets, on the Boston side of the r., and 1 on the other, with a foot bridge across the r., and the place flourished under a succession of native and English teachers. It is now nearly extinct. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $5,500; 2 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $38,800. 1 acad. 30 students, 6 schools, 309 scholars. Population 1,285.
Natick, p-v., Warwick t., Kent co., R. I., 9 s. s. e. Providence, 399 W. Situated on the n. side of Patuxet river. It has several cotton factories.
Nation Ford, p-o., York dist., S. C, 81 n. Columbia, 426 W.
Natural Bridge, p-v., Wilna t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 153 n. w. Albany, 452 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 1 store, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., and about 20 dwellings. Here is a natural bridge over Indian r., 15 feet wide, and 6 feet above the water, which is a curiosity.
Natural Bridge, p-o., Rockbridge co., Va., 156 w. Richmond. Situated in the s. w. part of the county, near the Natural Bridge, one of the greatest curiosities in the United States. This bridge consists of a stupendous arch of limestone rock, over a chasm 50 feet wide at its base, and 90 feet at top. The height of the bridge above the stream to the top, is 215 feet; its average width is 80 feet; its extreme length at top is 93
feet, and its thickness, from its under to its upper side, is 55 feet. It is covered to the depth of from 4 to 6 feet with clayey earth, with a natural parapet, of rocks on the sides, rendered firm by trees and shrubbery. The view from above, to those who dare to take it, is awfully grand; but the best view is obtained from beneath, where the astonished spectator has a full view of this sublime work of nature. Cedar cr., which flows under the bridge, is a small and unimportant stream. This bridge is of important use, as it constitutes a safe and convenient passage across this great chasm, not otherwise possible for some miles above or below.
Natural Canal, N. Y., connects the waters of Oswegatchie and Grass rivers. It is 6 miles long, and from 10 to 20 rods wide, very straight, and navigable, at high water, for boats of 10 tons burden.
Natural Dam, p-o., Crawford co., Ark., 174 w. n. w. Little Rock, 1,230 W.
Naugatuck, r., Ct., rises in Norfolk and Winchester, in the n. w. part of the state, and enters the Housatonic, in Derby.
Naugatuck, p-v., Waterbury t., New Haven co., Ct., 53 s. w. Hartford, 317 W. Situated principally on the w. side of Naugatuck r. It contains 4 churches--1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist--1 sattinet fac., 1
clock fac., 1 button fac., and several other factories, 150 dwellings, and about 1,500 inhabitants. The amount of articles manufactured exceeds $1,000,000 annually.
Nauvoo, city, Hancock co., Ill., 124 n. w. Springfield, 891 W. It is situated on the e. bank of the Mississippi r., which is here about 2 miles wide, and where is a good steamboat landing.
In consequence of a curve in the r., it bounds the place on the n. w. and s. It is 181 ms. above the mouth of Illinois r., and the city limits include a space 4 miles long, and 3 wide, at its greatest width, covered with streest of ample width, and crossing each other at right angles. Its buildings, at the end of three years from the time of its establishment, amount to 1,000, consisting chiefly of whitewashed log cabins, with some frame and brick houses. Its public buildings are the "Nauvoo House," a spacious hotel, fronting on 2 streets, 120 feet on each, 40 feet wide, and 3 stories high above the basement. In this building Joe Smith, the pretended prophet and leader of these "Latter-day Saints," is provided with a suite of rooms. The Nauvoo Temple, not yet entirely completed, will be 130 feet long, and 100 feet wide. In the basement is a baptistry or brazen sea, supported on 12 gilded oxen, the model of which is derived from the brazen sea of Solomon. Their property is held as private; but a large farm, without the city, is occupied and cultivated in common. The Nauvoo Legion consists of from 2 to 3,000 men, armed and disciplined. They have a University, which contains a president, a professor of mathematics and English literature, a professor of the learned languages, and a professor of church history. The population
amounts to 7,000, within the city limits, a large number of whom are from England, besides about 3,000 who belong to the fraternity, in the vicinity. The city is divided into 4 wards, and has a mayor, and, from each of the wards, 2 aldermen, 4 common councilmen, and a constable.
Navarino, p-o., Onondaga t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 148 w. by n Albany.
Navarino, Wis. (See Green bay.)
Nave's Store, p-o., Livingston co., Mo., 175 n. w. Jefferson City, 1,069 W.
Naylor's Store, p-o., St. Charles county, Mo.
Nazareth, p-o., Northampton co., Va.
Neale's Creek, p-o., Union dist., S. C., 71 n. w. Columbia,
Neatsville, p-v., Adair co., Ky., 84 s. by w Frankfort, 598 W.
Neaves, t., Darke co., O. It has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 645.
Nebo, p-o., Hopkins co., Ky., 206 w. s. w. Frankfort, 748 W.
Neddock, cape, York co., Me., is a rocky barren bluff on the Atlantic coast, inhabited by a few fishermen.
Needham, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 12 s. w. Boston, 427 W. Charles r. runs on its s. e. and n. border, which has here a fall of 20 feet, and another fall affording a good water power. At each of the falls is a village, with extensive manufactures of paper, cotton, shoes, &c. The t. contains 5 churches--2 Congregational, 2 Methodist, and 1 Baptist. The Boston and Worcester railroad passes through it. Incorporated in 1711. It has 4 stores, cap. $1,500; 1 cotton fac. 1,200 sp., 3 paper fac., 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $67,900. 3 acad. 65 students, 6 sch. 360 scholars. Pop. 1,488.
Neeley's Creek, p-o., York dist., S. C., 72 n. Columbia, 451 W.
Neersville, p-o., Loudon co., Va., 168 n. Richmond, 52 W.
Neewaygon, county, Mich. Situated in the w. part of the southern peninsula, and contains 864 square miles. Drained by Notipekago and White rivers. Maskegon r. passes across the southern part of the co. It is unorganized.
Neffsville, p-v., Manheim t., Lancaster co., Pa., 41 s. e. Harrisburg, 115 W. It contains 15 or 20 dwellings.
Negreet, p-o., Natchitoches par., La., 407 n. w. by w. New Orleans, 1,326 W.
Negro Foot, p-o., Hanover co., Va.
Negwegon, county, Mich. Situated in the n. e. part of the state, and contains 660 sq. miles. Drained by Au Sable r. and branches, on the s., and branches of Thunder Bay river on the n. It is unorganized.
Neil's Creek, p-o., Steuben co., N. Y., 229 w. by n. Albany,
Neil's Mills, p-o., Nicholas co., Va., 300 w. by n. Richmond.
Nelson, county, Va. Situated in the central part of the state, and contains 490 sq. ms. It is bounded by James r. on the s. e., and by the Blue Ridge on the n. w. Drained by Rockfish, Rock, and Tye rivers. Capital, Lovingston. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,139, sheep 7,754, swine 20,341; wheat 128,478 bushels produced, rye 35,820, Ind. corn 327,253, oats 90,777, potatoes 18,814, tobacco 2,228,817 pounds, cotton 994; 19 stores, cap. $258,400; 1 furnace, 6 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 22 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $50,050. 1 acad. 70
students, 13 sch. 265 scholars. Pop. whites 6,168, slaves 5,967, free colored, 152; total, 12,287.
Nelson, county, Ky. Situated a little n. of the centre of the state, and contains 469 sq. ms. Drained by Beech Fork and Rolling Fork of Salt r., and their branches. Capital, Bardstown.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 18,503, sheep 20,353, swine 46,667; wheat 121,244 bush. prod., rye 56,078, Ind. corn 473,374, buckwheat 3,610, oats 155,179, potatoes 12,521, sugar 14,711 pounds; 6 lumber yards, cap. $200; 27 stores, capital,
$139,130; 1 furnace, 1 woollen fac., 65 tanneries, 41 distilleries, 7 flouring m., 40 grist m., 25 Saw m., 1 oil m., 3 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $129,370. 1 college, 108 students, 3 acad. 341 students, 1 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. whites 8,878, slaves 4,643, free col'd 116; total, 13,637.
Nelson, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 44 s. w. Concord, 444 W. It occupies the height of land between Connecticut and Merrimac rivers. The surface is hilly; soil, adapted to grazing. It has
several ponds, the outlets of which flow into Ashuelot and Contoocook rivers, and afford good water power. Chartered by the name of Packersfield, in 1774. There are in the t. 1 store, cap. $6,000; 1 cotton fac. 640 sp., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,000. 1 acad. 37 students, 9 sch. 336 scholars. Pop. 835.
Nelson, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 109 w. by n. Albany. The surface is elevated and undulating; soil, clay and calcareous loam. Drained n. by Chittenango cr., and s. by head branches of
Chenango r. The v. contains 2 churches, 1 store, 35 dwellings, and about 225 inhabitants. The t. has 3 stores, cap. $6,500; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $10,325. 10 sch. 713 scholars. Pop. 2,100.
Nelson, p-o., Tioga co., Pa., 165 n. Harrisburg, 275 W.
Nelson, p-t., Portage co., O., 164 n. e. Columbus, 320 W. The soil is fertile, and adapted to grass and to grain. It has 9 sch. 291 scholars. Pop. 1,398.
Nelson Factory, p-v., Nelson t., Cheshire co., N. H., 38 s. w. Concord, 444 W. Situated on Souhegan r. It has a cotton fac. with 640 sp., and several neat dwellings.
Nelsonville, p-v., York t., Athens co., O., 59 s. e. Columbus, 353 W. Situated on the n. side of Hockhocking r. It contains 2 stores, and about 100 inhabitants.
Neosho, r., Indian ter., rises in the dividing ridge between the Arkansas and Kansas rivers, runs 240 ms. s. e. and s. through the Osage and Cherokee lands, and enters the Arkansas 3 or 4 ms. s. of Fort Gibson.
Neosho, p-v., capital of Newton co., Mo., 175 n. w. Jefferson City. Situated on Spring cr., a branch of Neosho r.
Neponset, r., Mass., flows into Boston harbor, and is navigable for vessels of 150 tons, 4 ms., to Milton.
Neponset Village, p-v., Dorchester t., Norfolk co., Mass., 5 s. Boston, 445 W. Situated on the n. side of Neponset r., and contains some mills and manufactories.
Neptune, p-o., Mercer co., O., 112 w. n. w. Columbus, 505 W.
Nescopeck, mt., Luzerne co., Pa. Situated on the n. side of Nescopeck cr., runs 20 ms. parallel to Wyoming mt., and is about 850 feet high. It is nearly destitute of timber on its summit.
Nescopeck, cr., rises in Hanover t, Luzerne co., Pa., and flows over 30 ms. w. and n. w., into the Susquehanna r., at
Nescopeck, p-t., Luzerne co., Pa., 98 n. e. Harrisburg, 208 W. The surface is uneven, with some good bottom land on the streams. Watered by Big and Little Wapwallopen and Nescopeck creeks. The v. is situated at the entrance of Nescopeck cr. into the Susquehanna r. It contains several stores, and about 30 dwellings. A bridge 1,256 feet long, and roofed, which cost $31,000, here crosses the Susquehanna. There are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $9,200; 1 forge, 2 flouring m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,100. 6 sch. 265 scholars. Pop. 1,370.
Neshaminy, r., Pa., rises in Hilltown t., Bucks co., and by a winding course of
35 ms., flows into Delaware r., 3 ms. below Bristol. It is
crossed by several fine bridges, and the one nearest its mouth
on the road to New York, is a toll and a draw bridge.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!