Neshanock, PA to New Bridge, GA
Neshanock, t., Mercer co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $7,000; 2 commission houses, cap. $4,300; 1 furnace, 1 fulling m., 3 woollen fac., 1 tannery, 3 distilleries, 7 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,810. 13 sch. 555 scholars. Pop. 2,068.
Nether Providence, p-t., Delaware co., Pa., 12 w. Philadelphia, 90 Harrisburg, 124 W. The surface is level; soil, productive clay, and well cultivated. Drained by Ridley cr. on its w., and
Crum cr. on its e. boundary, both flowing into the Delaware r. It has 7 stores, cap. $22,900; 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 5 saw. Cap. in manufac. $6,740. 1 sch. 144 scholars. Pop. 1,025.
Nettle Creek, t., Randolph co., Ia. It has 3 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 596.
Nettle Hill, p-o., Westbury t., Chautauque co., N. Y.
Nesaquake, r., Suffolk co., N. Y., rises in the t. of Smithtown, and flows w. 4 ms., whence it forms 3 ponds in succession, affording excellent water power. Thence it flows n. 5 ms. into
Long Island sound, being navigable that distance for small craft, at high tide.
Nesaquake, v., Smithtown t., Suffolk co., N. Y. Situated on the e. side of a stream of the same name, and contains a school house, and 10 or 12 dwellings. Here was the residence of
"Richard Smith," and the first settlement made on this part of Long Island.
Neshoba, county, Miss. Situated toward the e. part of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Drained by Pearl r., and its head branches. Capital, Philadelphia. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,003, sheep 677, swine 8,663; wheat 7,163 bush. produced, Ind. corn 83,230, oats 1,810, potatoes 14,506, rice 1,563 pounds, tobacco 2,918, cotton 1,032,947; 3 stores, cap. $19,000; 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $800. 4 sch. 65 scholars. Pop. whites 1,693, slaves 744; total, 2,437.
Neuse, r., N. C, rises in Person and Orange counties, and after a course of about 300 ms., flows into a large estuary, connected with Pamlico sound. It is navigable for sea vessels 12 ms. above Newbern, and for boats about 200 ms.
Neversink, p-t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 99 s. w. Albany, 312 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous. Drained by Neversink r. on the s., and by Rondout cr. on the e. It has 4 stores, cap. $9,800; 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 16 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $158,850. 14 sch. 520 scholars. Pop. 1,681.
Neversink, Highlands of, extend across the N. part of Monmouth co., N. J. Adjacent to the ocean they are 300 or 400 feet high, consisting of sandy earth, colored by oxide of iron, and imbedding reddish brown sand and pudding-stone, cemented by iron, resting on banks of oyster shells and other marine relics, blended with clay and sea mud. A small portion of them only is cultivated, but they are generally covered with wood.
Neville, p-v., Washington t., Clermont co., O., 126 e. s. e. Columbus, 486 W. Situated on the Ohio r.
Nevin, p-o., Highland co., O., 82 s. w. Columbus, 449 W.
New Albany, p-v., Albany t., Bradford co., Pa., 136 n. Harrisburg, 247 W.
New Albany, city, and capital of Floyd co., Ia., 121 s. by e. Indianapolis, 600 W. Situated on the n. bank of the Ohio r., 2 ms. below the foot of the falls, where the Ohio descends 32 feet
in one mile. It is the largest place in the state, and contains a court house, jail, 9 churches--2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 2 Baptist, 2 Methodist, 1 Campbellite, and 1 Roman Catholic--a bank, an insurance co., 1 male and 1 female seminary, a lyceum, 4 schools, a theological college, 40 or 50 stores of different kinds, 1 iron foundry and steam engine fac., 1 rope fac., 1 steam grist m., 1 steam saw m., 1 hemp bagging fac., and 4,226
inhabitants. It is regularly laid out with six streets running parallel with the r. the whole length of the city, intersected by 11 others crossing them at right angles. The streets are generally from 60 to 80 or 100 feet wide. From 10 to 15 steam-boats are built here annually, besides sloops and schooners, to be sold at New Orleans, and there are several extensive ship yards. The place was laid off in 1813. A macadamized road is finished 50 ms., being part of an overland communication with St. Louis, Mo. A railroad is also partly finished toward Crawfordsville, Ia. There are in the t., exclusive of the city, 1,308 inhabitants.
New Albany, p-v., Pontotoc co., Miss.
New Albany, v., Green t., Columbiana co., O. It has 1 sch. and 52 inhabitants.
New Albion, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 307 w. by s. Albany, 347 W. The surface is elevated and broken; soil, fertile, adapted to grain and to grazing. Drained by Cattaraugus cr. and
Alleghany r. It has 1 store, cap. $2,500; 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 6 sch. 254 scholars. Pop. 1,016.
New Alexander, p-v., West t., Columbiana co., O., 146 n. e. by e. Columbus, 292 W. It has 2 stores, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
New Alexandria, p-v., Westmoreland co., Pa., 171 w. Harrisburg, 197 W. Situated on the e. side of Loyalhanna r., and contains 3 stores, and about 30 dwellings.
New Alstead, p-v., Alstead t., Cheshire co., N. H, 54 s. w. Concord, 458 W. Situated on s. side of Cold r.
New Amsterdam, p-v., Harrison co., Ia., 140 s. Indianapolis, 637 W. Situated on the e. side of the Ohio r., immediately above the entrance of Indian cr.
Newark, p-t., Caledonia co., Vt., 57 n. e. Montpelier, 567 W. The surface is moderately uneven; soil, cold and wet, and unproductive. Drained by the head waters of Pasumsic r. It has
2 saw m., 4 sch. 133 scholars. Pop. 360.
Newark, t., Tioga co., N. Y., 8 n. Owego, 161 w. s. w. Albany. The surface is hilly, with fertile valleys; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by E. and W. Owego creeks. It has 5 stores, cap. $13,000; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 5 grist m., 20 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,840. 511 scholars in schools. Pop. 1,616.
Newark, p-v., Arcadia t., Wayne co., N. Y., 186 w. by n. Albany, 357 W. Situated on the Erie canal, and contains 3 churches--1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 Universalist--12 stores, 2 warehouses, 1 steam flouring m. and distillery, 2 steam
furnaces, 2 carriage fac., 200 dwellings, and about 1,200 inhabitants.
Newark, city, port of entry, and capital of Essex co., N. J., 9 w. New York, 49 n. e. Trenton, 215 W. It is situated on the w. side of Passaic river, 3 ms. from its entrance into Newark bay,
and is the most populous and flourishing place in the state. It is in 40° 44' n. lat., and 2° 44' e. lon. from W. The population in 1830, was 10,950; in 1840, 17,290. Of these, 206 were employed in commerce; 2,424 in manufactures and trades; 59 navigating the ocean, rivers, &c.; 101 in the learned professions.
The river is navigable to this place for vessels of 100 tons burden, and the Morris canal passes through it. There is a communication, a large
part of the year, twice a day by steamboat to New York, and several times a day by railroad. The place is regularly laid out, the streets are generally broad and straight, and many of the houses are neat and elegant. Two large public grounds, bordered by lofty trees and bounded by the principal avenues, add much to the beauty of the place. The city is abundantly supplied with pure water brought by a company from a fine spring, 2 miles distant, and distributed in the city in iron pipes of a total length of 7 miles. Several of the churches are handsome buildings. The court house is built of brown freestone, in a commanding position in the w. part of the city, and is a large and elegant building of the Egyptian architecture.
There are 17 churches--5 Presbyterian, 1 Associate Reformed, 2 Baptist, 3 Methodist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 African Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, 1 Bethel, and 1 Universalist. There are 3 banks, with an aggregate capital of $1,450,000, of which not more than two thirds have been paid in. There is an apprentices' library; a circulating library; a mechanics' association for scientific and literary improvement, who have a valuable library and philosophical apparatus, and who support public lectures; and a young men's literary association.
The commerce of Newark is considerable and increasing. The coasting trade employs 65 vessels of 100 tons each. A whaling and sealing company was incorporated in 1833, which is
prosecuting the business. The tonnage of this port in 1840, was 6,687. There were in 1840, 2 for. commercial and 2 commission stores, cap. $15,000; 114 retail stores, cap. $321,250; 6 lumber
yards, cap. $38,000; fisheries, cap. $60,000; precious metals, value produced $154,312; manufactures of leather, cap. $285,951; 2 breweries, cap. $13,000; carriages, cap. $218,700; 5 printing
offices, 2 binderies, 1 daily, and 3 weekly newspapers, and 3 periodicals, cap. $32,300. Total cap. in manufac. $1,511,339. 6 acad. 319 students, 30 sch. 1,955 scholars.
This town was first settled in 1666, by a company from Guilford, Branford, Milford, and New Haven, Conn. They purchased the territory, including several neighboring towns, of the Indians
for £130, New England currency, 12 Indian blankets, and 12 guns. They formed a government, and administered it, often disputing the claims of the proprietaries, by holding to an original and superior right.
Newark, p-v., New Castle co., Del., 59 n. by w. Dover, 99 W. Situated in the w. part of the county.
Newark, p-v., Worcester co., Md., 123 s. e. Annapolis, 163 W. Situated in the e. part of the county.
Newark, p-v., capital of Licking co., O., 39 e. n. e. Columbus, 366 W. Situated at the confluence of 3 principal branches of Licking r., and on the Ohio and Erie canal, which passes along
one of its streets. The streets are from 6 to 8 rods wide, crossing each other at right angles, with a large public square in the centre, on which is an elegant brick court house. It has also a jail, several churches, 2 academies, a market house, 15 stores, several large warehouses, 2 print. offices, 350 dwellings, and 2,705 inhabitants.
Newark, t., Allegan co., Mich., 180 w. Detroit. The v. is situated on Kalamazoo r., 2 ms. from its mouth, in lake Michigan. It has a commodious harbor, and contains several stores, a warehouse, a steam saw m., and about 20 dwellings.
The t. has 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $102,500.
Newark, p-v., Warrick co., Ia. Situated on the e. side of Big Pigeon cr.
Newark, p-v., La Salle co., Ill., 153 n. n. e. Springfield,
Newark, p-v., Scotland co., Mo., 44 n. Jefferson City, 958 W. Situated on the n. e. side of the S. Fabius r.
Newark Valley, p-v., Newark t., Tioga co., N. Y., 154 w. s. w. Albany, 285 W. Situated on East Owego cr., and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, a high school, 5 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 60 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.
New Ashford, t., Berkshire co., Mass., 18 n. Lenox, 130 w. by n. Boston. Incorporated in 1801. The surface is mountainous; soil, adapted to grazing. Drained by head branches of Green r. and of Housatonic r. Marble is found here. It contains a Methodist church. It has 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,200. 2 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 227.
New Athens, p-v., Athens t., Harrison co., O., 115 e. by n. Columbus, 291 W. It contains a church, 4 stores, and about 300 inhabitants, exclusive of students. It is the seat of Franklin college, which was founded in 1825, has a president, and 6 professors or other instructors, 84 alumni, of whom 7 have been ministers of the gospel, 51 students, and 1,900 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is on the last Wednesday in September.
New Baltimore, p-t., Greene co., N. Y., 15 s. Albany, 354 W. The surface is broken and hilly; soil, a fertile clay and sandy loam, well cultivated. Drained by Dieppe and Haivrakraus creeks, flowing into Hudson r., which bounds it on the e. The v. is situated on the w. side of Hudson river, and contains 1 Dutch Reformed church, 4 stores, 2 warehouses, 2 ship-yards for
repairing vessels. It has a convenient steamboat landing, and 6 sloops which trade to New York. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $13,700; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 1 paper fac., 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 7 saw. Cap. in manufac. $31,650. 16 sch. 637 scholars. Pop. 2,306.
New Baltimore, p-v., Fauquier co., Va., 108 n. by w.. Richmond, 45 W. It contains 1 Baptist church in the vicinity, an academy, 2 stores, 1 tannery, about 20 dwellings, and 120 inhabitants.
New Baltimore, p-v., Marlboro t., Stark co., O., 133 n. e. Columbus, 315 W.
New Barbadoes, t., Bergen co., N. J. The surface is mostly level; soil, sandy loam and red shale, and well cultivated. Drained by Hackensack r. It contains the v. of Hackensack, the
capital of the co. It has 7 stores, cap. $1,500; 3 lumber yards, cap. $16,000; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 6 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $9,100. 1 acad. 25 students, 6 sch. 218 scholars. Pop. 2,104.
New Bedford, p-t., port of entry, and semi-capital of Bristol co., Mass., 20 s. s. e. Taunton, 58 s. Boston, to which it is connected by railroad, 431 W., in 41° 38' 7" n. lat., and 70° 55' 49" w. lon. Pop. in 1820, 3,947; 1830, 7,592; 1840, 12,087; New Bedford is on an arm of the sea, which sets up from Buzzard's bay. The ground rises rapidly from the water, and gives the upper part of the town, which contains many splendid dwellings, a commanding situation. A bridge, near the centre of the place, connects it with Fairhaven. It contains a court house; 4 banks, capital $1,300,000; 3 insurance offices, capital
$350,000; and a savings institution; 14 churches--1 Baptist,
3 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 2 Christian, 1 Friends, 2 Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, 1 Unitarian, 1 Universalist, 1 Bethel, and 1African. There are 17 candle houses and oil manufactories. The harbor is safe and spacious The surrounding country affords few exports, and the inhabitants and capital of the place are chiefly devoted to the whale fishery. Its tonnage in 1840 was 89,089, being the second district in this respect in the state. There were in 1840, 174 stores, cap. §482,350; 6 lumber yards, cap. $34,800; capital employed in the fisheries, $4,512,000; salt produced, 13,100 bush.; 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 rope walk, 1 paper fac., 3 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 daily and 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $527,800. 2 acad. 118 students, 53 sch. 3,455 scholars.
New Bedford, p-v., Mahoning t., Mercer co., Pa., 244 w. n. w. Columbus, 285 W. It contains a Presbyterian church, 2 stores, and about 30 dwellings.
New Bedford, p v., Crawford t., Coshocton co., O., 99 n. e. Columbus, 333 W. It has 1 store and about 30 dwellings.
New Benton, v., Smith t, Columbiana co., O. It has 74 inhabitants.
Newberg, p-t., Cass co., Mich., 157 w. by s. Detroit, 605 W. It has 1 saw m., 2 sch. 46 scholars. Pop. 175.
New Berlin, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y., 8 n. e. Norwich, 88 w. Albany, 347 W. The surface is undulating; soil, moist clay loam, adapted to grass, and some of it to grain. Drained by Unadilla
r. The v. is situated on the w. bank of Unadilla r., and contains 4 churches--1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist--8 stores, 1 cotton fac., 1 grist m., 1 tannery, 1 rope walk, 1 oil m., 1 carding machine, 1 trip-hammer works, 1 brewery, 100 dwellings, and about 600 inhabitants. There are in the t. 13 stores, cap. $53,200; 1 fulling m., 1 cotton fac. 4,400 sp., 4 tanneries, 1 paper fac., 1 bindery, 1 weekly newspaper, 5 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $192,700. 23 sch. 765 scholars. Pop. 3,086.
New Berlin, p-b., capital of Union co., Pa., 69 n. Harrisburg, 179 W. Situated on the n. side of Penn's cr., which affords water power. It contains a handsome court house, containing the public offices, of brick, 80 feet long, a stone jail, 2 neat churches--1 common to Lutherans and German Presbyterians, the other Methodist; 3 stores, capital $18,000; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 grist m.
Cap. in manufac. $11,000. Pop. 679.
New Berlin, p-v., Blair t., Stark co., O., 129 n. e. Columbus, 318 W.
New Berlin, p-v., Milwaukee co., Wis., 91 e. Madison, 818 W.
New Berlin Centre, p-o., New Berlin t., Chenango co., N. Y., 102 w. Albany, 343 W.
Newbern, p-v., Greene co., Ala.
Newbern, p-v., Bartholomew co., Ia., 50 s. by e. Indianapolis, 570 W. Situated on the s. side of Clifty cr.
Newbern, p-v., Greene co., Ill., 83 s. w. Springfield, 820 W.
Newbern, p-v., port of entry, and capital of Craven co., N. C, is situated on the s. w. bank of the Neuse r., at the junction of the Trent, 30 ms. above Pamlico sound, 120 e. s. e. Raleigh,
100 n. n. e. Wilmington, 348 W. Pop. 1830, 3,776; 1840, 3,690. It was long the capital of the state. The Neuse is here a mile and a half, and the Trent three fourths of a mile wide. It has a court house, jail, a theatre, a masonic hall, 2 banks, and 3 churches--1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist. It is pleasantly situated and handsomely built, and more healthy than most places in the state so near the seaboard. It has considerable trade, and exports grain, pork, lumber, and naval stores. A steamboat plies to Elizabeth City, and this connects with the line from Norfolk, Va., to Charleston, S. C. There were
in 1840, 53 stores, cap. $379,410; 83,000 barrels of tar, pitch, or turpentine, 2 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $151,650. 4 acad. 151 students, 3 sch. 92 scholars.
Newberry, district, S. C. Situated a little n. w. of the centre of the state, and contains 540 sq. ms. Broad r. runs on its e. border, and Saluda r. on its s. border, by branches of which it is watered. Much of the soil is fertile. Capital, Newberry. There were in 1840, neat cattle 19,600, sheep 7,183, swine 35,666; wheat 57,350 bush. produced, rye 708, Ind. corn 635,634, barley 1,129, oats 73,185, potatoes 33,460, cotton 3,105,107
pounds; 34 stores, cap. $95,350; 4 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 15 flouring m., 18 grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $90,350. 3 acad. 134 students, 29 sch. 757 scholars. Pop. whites 8,208, slaves 9,904, free col'd 238; total, 18,350.
Newberry, t., York co., Pa. It has 7 stores, cap. $21,900; 2 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 3 potteries, 6 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $33,160. 13 sch. 400 scholars.
Newberry, p-v., Lycoming co., Pa., 95 n. Harrisburg, 205 W.
Newberry, p-t, Geauga co., O., 159 n. w. Columbus, 333 W.
Newberry, p-v., Wayne county, Ky., 119 s. Frankfort, 608 W. Situated on the w. side of Otter creek.
Newberry, C. H., p-v., capital of Newberry dist., S. C, 40 w. n. w. Columbia, 504 W.
Newberrytown, p-v., York co., Pa., 19 s. Harrisburg, 105 W.
New Bethel, p-v., Marion co., Ia., 8 s. e. Indianapolis, 579 W.
New Bloomfield, p-b., Juniata t., capital of Perry co., Pa., 34 w. by n. Harrisburg, 126 W. It contains a court house and public offices of brick, a stone jail, 5 stores, 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church, a printing office, issuing a weekly newspaper, about 60 dwellings and 400 inhabitants. Incorporated as a borough in 1831. (See Bloomfield.)
New Bloomfield, p-v., Callaway co., Mo., 11 n. by e. Jefferson City, 928 W.
Newborn, p-v., Newton co., Ga., 55 n. w. Milledgeville, 654 W.
New Boston, p-t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 22 s. by w. Concord, 467 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile. It has several ponds. Watered by a branch of Piscataquoag river. Incorporated in 1763. It has 3 stores, cap. $14,000; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 19 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $34,630. 18 sch. 558 scholars. Pop. 1,569.
New Boston, p-v., Sandisfield t., Berkshire co., Mass., 122 w. by s. Boston, 360 W.
New Boston, p-v., Thompson t., Windham co., Ct., 48 n. e. by e. Hartford, 384 W. Situated on both sides of the Quinnebaug r.
New Braintree, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 66 w. Boston, 399 W. The surface is moderately uneven; soil, fertile, adapted to grazing. Drained by Ware r., which runs on its n. w. border. It is finely watered by springs and brooks, on one of which, flowing into Ware r., is a fertile meadow of several hundred acres. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,375. 7 sch. 233 scholars. Pop. 752.
New Bremen, p-v., German t., Mercer co., O , 97 w. n. w. Columbus, 491 W.
New Bridge, p-v., Lumpkin co., Ga., 136 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 630 W. Situated on the n. side of Chestatee r.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!