New Bridge, PA to New Fairfield, CT
New Bridgeville, p-o., York co., Pa., 39 s. Harrisburg, 101 W.
New Brighton, v., Castleton t., Richmond co., N. Y. Delightfully situated on the n. end of Staten Island, 6 ms. from New York, with which it is connected by a steam ferry. It contains a number of elegant dwellings, on ascending ground, and 2 large hotels, much resorted to in the summer, a young ladies' seminary, and the Sailor's Snug Harbor, 1 m. w. The view of this
place from New York, and the view from this place of the city and harbor is beautiful.
New Brighton, b., Beaver co., Pa. Situated on the e. bank of Beaver river, 3 miles above its mouth, which affords water power. It contains 6 churches--1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Associate Reformed, 1 Unionist, and 2 Friends--1 female seminary, an insurance office, the New Brighton Institute, for the promotion of literature and science, and 9 stores. The v. is regularly laid out, with broad streets, crossing each other at right angles, and has many beautiful residences. 2 bridges cross the Beaver, 1 at each end of the v., one to Brighton t., and the other to Fallston b. The Pennsylvania and Ohio canal passes through it. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $13,000; 1 furnace, 2 fulling m., 2 woollen fac., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2 flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $91,350. 2 acad. 85 students, 3 sch. 92 scholars. Pop. 981.
New Britain, p-v., Berlin t, Hartford co., Ct., 10 s. w. Hartford, 326 W. It contains 3 churches--1 Congregational, 1 Methodist, and 1 Baptist--45 factories, chiefly of brass, employing 700 persons, and a cap. of $650,000; and about 1,500 inhabitants.
New Britain, p-o., New Lebanon t., Columbia co., N. Y., 24 s. e. Albany,
New Britain, p-t., Bucks co., Pa., 25 n. w. Philadelphia, 96 e. Harrisburg, 165 W. The surface is rolling; soil, sandy loam. Drained by branches of Neshaminy cr., which affords water power. It has 3 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $9,510. 2 sch. 48 scholars. Pop. 1,304.
New Brunswick, city, capital of Middlesex co., N. J., 29 s. w. New York, 27 n. e. Trenton, 193 W. Situated on the w. bank of Raritan r., 14 ms. from its entrance into Raritan bay at Amboy. It is the capital of Middlesex co., though it lies partly in Somerset co., Albany-street forming the dividing line. The streets immediately on the r. are narrow, and the ground is low.
The streets on the upper bank are wide, and contain many fine buildings. A toll-bridge here crosses the Raritan, rebuilt in 1811, and cost $86,687. A railroad bridge crosses the r., a little above. Incorporated as a city in 1784. It contains a court house, jail, 7 churches--1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 colored Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic--2 banks, 120 stores, 800 dwellings, and 8,693 inhabitants. It is the seat of Rutgers College, founded in 1770, which has a president, 10
professors or other instructors, 370 alumni, of whom 77 have been ministers of the gospel, 82 students, and 1,200 vols. in its libraries. The commencement is on the third Wednesday in July. The Delaware and Raritan canal commences here, extending 43 ms. to Trenton, is 75 feet wide and 7 feet deep, admitting the passage of sloops of from 75 to 100 tons burden. The New Jersey railroad passes through the city, forming a part of the chain of railroads from New York to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington.
New Buffalo, p-o., Buffalo t., Perry co., Pa., 19 n. by w. Harrisburg, 129 W. Situated on the Susquehanna r., 5 ms. above the entrance of the Juniata, where is a ferry across the former.
New Buffalo, p-t., Berrien co., Mich., 225 w. by s. Detroit, 678 W. The v. is situated on a point of land between Galien r. and Lake Michigan, and contains 4 stores, a forwarding and commission house, about 60 dwellings, and 400
inhabitants. It forms the termination of a projected railroad from Monroe across the s. part of the peninsula. It has 1 sch. 10 scholars. Pop. 123.
Newburg, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 51 n. e. Augusta, 646 W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Incorporated in 1819. Drained by a branch of Sowadabscook r. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,000; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 9 sch. 427 scholars. Pop. 963.
Newburg, p-t., semi-capital of Orange co., N. Y., 60 n. New York, 84 s. by w. Albany, 286 W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, clay and sandy loam. Hudson r. bounds it on the e. The v. is pleasantly situated on the w. bank of Hudson r., on rising ground. Incorporated in 1800. It contains a court house, jail, 11 churches--2 Presbyterians, 2 Associate Reformed, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Reformed Presbyterian, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 African--3 banking houses, 1 academy, 1 high school, a theological seminary of the Associate Reformed church, 150 stores, 9 storehouses, 5 freighting establishments, 3 flouring m., 3 plaster m., 1 brewery, and numerous mechanical and manufacturing establishments, 1,000 dwellings, and about 6,000 inhabitants. It has 4 steamboats and 2 freight barges, which run between it and New York city, and I steamboat running to Albany, besides a number of sloops, trading to different places on the r. There is a steam ferry between this place and Fishkill, on the opposite side of the r. Washington had his head-quarters here, for a time, during the revolutionary war, and the house is standing in which he and his family resided; and here the American army was disbanded, June 23d, 1783. There are in the t. 2 acad. 142 students, 23 sch. 1,283 scholars. Pop. 8,933.
Newburg, p-v., Hopewell t., Cumberland co., Pa., 41 w. by s. Harrisburg, 109 W. It contains 1 store, and 10 or 12 dwellings.
Newburg, p-t., Cuyahoga co., O., 150 n. e. by n. Columbus, 353 W. The soil is fertile. The v. is situated on Mill cr., where is a beautiful water fall, affording extensive water power. It contains 3 churches, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 cloth dressing works, and a number of dwellings. The stage road from Cleveland to Pittsburg passes through it. The t. has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 8 sch. 457 scholars. Pop. 1,342.
Newburg, t., Geauga co., O. It has 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 5 saw m., 11 sch. 474 scholars. Pop. 1,209.
Newburg, t., Miami co., O. It has 7 stores, cap. $38,000; 2 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 5 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $41,000. Pop. 1,302.
Newburg, p-v., Jefferson co., Ky., 63 w. Frankfort, 605 W. It contains 1 church and about 80 inhabitants.
Newburg, p-v., Warrick co., Ia., 183 s. s. w. Indianapolis, 717 W. Situated on the n. bank of the Ohio r.
Newburg, p-v., Franklin co., Ala., 121 n. by w. Tuscaloosa, 786 W.
Newburgh, p-v., Pittsylvania co., Va., 138 w. s. w. Richmond, 225 W.
Newburgh, p-v., Pike co., Ill., 65 w. Springfield, 845 W.
New Burlington, p-v., Clinton co., O., 69 s. w. Columbus, 458 W.
New Burlington, p-v., Delaware co., Ia., 66 n. e. Indianapolis, 536 W.
Newbury, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 30 w. n. w. Concord, 477 W. Sunapee lake lies on its n. w. border. The surface is mountainous and rough; soil, hard. Drained by a branch of Warner r., flowing from a pond. Incorporated in 1778, by the name of Fishersfield; received its present name in 1837. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,600. 6 sch. 216 scholars. Pop. 816.
Newbury, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 36 s. e. Montpelier, 518 W. Situated on the w. side of Connecticut r., opposite to Haverhill, N. H. Chartered in 1763. It contains fine alluvial land on the r., and particularly a tract of 450 acres included within the Great Oxbow, a remarkable curve in the r. Watered by Wells r. in its n. part, which affords good water power, near the mouth of which is a v. with considerable manufactures. Just below this a bridge crosses Connecticut r., and another in the lower part of the t. leading to Haverhill Corners. There is a v. between these bridges, near the Great Oxbow,
which contains a Congregational church, several stores, and a number of handsome dwellings. Connecticut r. is boatable to the mouth of Wells r. It has 7 stores, cap. $32,000; 3 fulling m., 1 paper fac., 1 printing office, 1 bindery, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,400; 1 acad. 389 students, 21 sch. 865 scholars. Pop. 2,578.
Newbury, t, Essex co., Mass., 31 n. by e. Boston, 17 n. Salem. Situated on the s. side of Merrimac r., opposite to Salisbury, N. H. The soil is fertile, and well cultivated. Watered by Parker r., which has a fall of nearly 50 feet, affording good water power, and by Artichoke r. Plum island on the Atlantic shore is partly in this t., and is about 9 ms. long and 1 broad.
Dummer Academy, founded in 1756, is in the parish of Byfield, and is richly endowed. The most compact part joins Newburyport, and contains about 1,100 inhabitants. In the t. are 4 churches. It has 15 stores, 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 5 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $236,640. 4 acad. 115 students, 14 sch. 757 scholars. Pop. 3,789.
Newbury, t., York co.. Pa., 12 n. York. The surface is undulating; soil, calcareous loam and gravel. Conewago cr. forms the s. boundary, and Stony run and Beaver cr. the w. Fishing cr. flows through the n. e. corner. It has 3 villages. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $21,900; 2 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 3 potteries, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $26,400. 13 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,850.
Newbury, t., La Grange co., Ia. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,800. 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 145.
Newburyport, p-t., port of entry and one of the 3 capitals of Essex co., Mass., 38 n. by e. Boston, 478 W. It is beautifully situated on a gentle acclivity, on the s. bank of the Merrimac r., at its entrance into the Atlantic. It contains a territory of 1 m. square of excellent land. The
streets are wide, intersecting each other at right angles, and it has a brick court house, a stone jail, a custom house of rough granite, with a fine
wrought Grecian Doric portico and pilasters on the sides, which cost $25,000; 8 churches--2 Presbyterian, 1 Congregational, 1 Independent, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist--an academy, 3 banks, with a cap. of $700,000; besides a bank for savings, 3 insurance companies, an almshouse, a lyceum, and numerous vessels employed in the cod, mackerel, and whale fisheries, in which 1,000 persons are employed. The harbor is safe and spacious, but difficult of entrance. Pop. in 1830, 6,388; 1840, 7,161. A fire in 1811
consumed 250 buildings, mostly dwellings and stores, with 1 church,--covering 16½ acres of the most valuable part of the place with ruins. Mr. Whitefield, the celebrated preacher, died here, Sept. 30, 1770. A monument in one of the
churches, where his remains repose, records, that "in a ministry of 34 years, he crossed the Atlantic 13 times, and preached more than 18,000 sermons." It has 12 commercial and 3 commission houses, cap. $781,000; 116 stores, cap.
$225,200; 4 lumber yards, cap. $35,000; 4 cotton fac. 17,736 sp., 2 distilleries, 3 printing offices, 1 daily, 1 weekly, and 1 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $647,800. 15 acad. 699 students, 39 sch. 1,332 scholars. Tonnage 23,965.
Newby's Bridge, p-o., Perquimans co., N. C., 199 e. by n. Raleigh, 291 W.
Newby's Cross Roads, p-o., Rappahannock co., Va., 113 n. n. w. Richmond,
New Canaan, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 74 s. w. Hartford, 273 W. The surface is mountainous and rough; soil, gravelly loam, but generally productive. Incorporated in 1801. It has extensive manufactures of shoes and leather. The v. is on elevated ground, overlooking Long Island sound, and contains 1 Congregational and 1 Episcopal church, and a respectable academy. Half a mile s. is a Methodist church. Some interesting aboriginal remains have been found in the vicinity. It has 8 stores, cap. $39,700; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $81,700. 2 acad. 63 students, 9 sch. 561 scholars. Pop. 2,217.
New Canandaigua, p-o., Calhoun co., Mich.
New Canton, p-v., Buckingham co., Va., 64 w. Richmond, 138 W. Situated on an elevated bank of Slate cr., one fourth of a mile from James r., of which it commands a beautiful view. It contains 1 Free church, 3 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 tannery, and 36 dwellings. Four miles w. are the Virginia mills, where large quantities of flour are manufactured. Excepting on the r., the country around is sterile.
New Canton, p-v., Hawkins co., Term., 264 e. by n. Nashville, 418 W.
New Carthage, p-v., Madison parish, La., 284 n. w. New Orleans, 1,075 W.
New Carlisle, p-v., Bethel t., Clark co., O., 102 w. Columbus, 496 W. It contains 3 churches, 8 stores, 75 dwellings, and about 475 inhabitants.
New Carlisle, p-v., St. Josephs co., Ia., 166 n. Indianapolis, 652 W.
New Castine, p-v., Butler t., Darke co., O., 102 w. Columbus, 496 W.
New Castle, county, Del. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 456 sq. ms. The surface toward the Delaware r., which bounds it on the e., is low and marshy. Toward the w. and n., it is moderately hilly. The soil is fertile. Drained by Naamans, Brandywine, Red Clay, Christiana, St. George's, Appoquinnimink,
Blackbird, and Duck creeks. The last runs on its s. border. The
railroad from Philadelphia to Baltimore passes through it.
Another railroad from New Castle, on the Delaware, extends to
Frenchtown on the Chesapeake. A ship canal connects the Delaware
with the Chesapeake, about 13½ ms. long, 66 feet wide at top,
and 10 feet deep, which cost $2,750,000. Capital, New Castle.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 17,450, sheep 7,471, swine
14,094; wheat 191,724 bush. produced, rye 3,157, Ind. corn 599,707, buckwheat 7,528, oats 564,015, potatoes 84,166, barley 5,260; 150 stores, cap. $507,550; 13 lumber yards, cap. $72,780; 2 fulling m., 1 woollen fac., 11 cotton fac. 24,492 sp., 4 tanneries, 3 breweries, 27 powder m., 2 potteries, 1 paper fac., 3 printing offices, 3 weekly and 3 semi-weekly newspapers, 27 flouring m., 30 grist m., 29 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,384,760. 1 college 23 students, 12 acad. 479 students, 60 sch. 2,618 scholars. Pop. 33,120.
New Castle, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 35 s. e. Augusta, 603 W. Situated between Damariscotta and Sheepscot rivers. Incorporated in 1735. It contains a Congregational church and the Lincoln Academy. Damariscotta r. is navigable for large vessels 15 ms. from the ocean to Damariscotta bridge, where is a v. There are in the t. 5 stores, cap. $10,000; 2 commercial houses, cap. $220,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 2 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,600. 1 acad. 70 students, 10 sch. 662
scholars. Pop. 1,712.
New Castle, p-t., Westchester co., N. Y., 128 s. Albany, 270 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravel, clay, and sandy loam. Drained by Croton and Sawmill rivers. It has 4 sch. 105 scholars. Pop. 1,529.
New Castle, t., Rockingham co., N. H. It consists of an island in Portsmouth harbor, containing 458 acres. The surface is rough and rocky, but the soil, where it is accessible, is fertile. Incorporated in 1693. It is connected with Portsmouth by a handsome bridge, and on the N. E. point are a light-house and Fort Constitution. It contains an ancient Congregational church. It
has 1 grist m., 2 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. 742.
New Castle, p-b., Neshannock t., Mercer co., Pa., 234 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 275 W. Situated at the confluence of Shenango and Neshannock creeks. Incorporated in 1825. It contains 4 churches, 1 female seminary; 12 stores, cap. $41,933; 1 flouring m., 13 saw m., 1 rolling m., 1 nail fac., 2 tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, and about 100 dwellings. It is connected with the Pennsylvania and Ohio canal by the Erie extension canal, which passes by it. Iron ore is found in the vicinity. Cap. in manufac. $11,285. 1 acad. 50 students, 3 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 611.
New Castle, p-v., capital of New Castle co., Del., 5 s. s. w. Wilmington, 42 n. Dover, 115 W. Situated on the w. bank of Delaware r., 32 s. w. Philadelphia. It contains a court house, jail, town house, market house, arsenal, 5 churches--1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 2 Methodist, one of which is colored, and 1 Roman Catholic--a public library of 4,000 vols., 10 stores, 195 dwelling, and 1,200 inhabitants. The New Castle and Frenchtown railroad have a large establishment here for the manufacture of steam engines, locomotives, and other things connected with railroads, including an iron and brass foundry, &c., with a capital of $110,000. There are in the h. 1 acad. 13 students, 8 sch. 354 scholars. Pop. 2,737. Tonnage in 1840, 3,661.
New Castle, p-v., Bottetourt co., Va., 192 w. by s. Richmond, 232 W. Situated in the fork of Craig's cr. It contains 1 Methodist church, an academy, 3 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 powder and oil m., 1 carding machine, 20 dwellings, and about 110 inhabitants.
New Castle, p-v., Wilkes co., N. C, 157 w. by n. Raleigh, 364 W.
New Castle, p-v., Fayette co., Tenn., 174 w. s. w. Nashville, 859 W.
New Castle, p-v., capital of Henry co., Ky., 25 n. w. Frankfort, 567 W.
New Castle, p-t., Coshocton co., O., 71 e. n. e. Columbus, 360 W. It has 6 stores, cap. $16,300; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $700.
New Castle, p-v., and capital of Henry co., Ia., 47 e. by n. Indianapolis, 534 W. Situated on Blue r., and contains a court house, jail, an academy, a public library, 3 stores, and about 40 dwellings. 10 sch. 359 scholars.
New Chester, p-v., Strabane t, Adams co., Pa., 31 s. w. Harrisburg. It contains 1 store, and about 30 dwellings.
New Church, p-o., Accomac co., Va., 219 e. by n. Richmond, 176 W.
New Columbia, p-v., Union co., Pa., 72 n. Harrisburg, 182 W. Situated on the w. bank of the w. branch of the Susquehanna r. It contains 2 stores, and about 35 dwellings.
New Comerstown, p-v., Oxford t., Tuscarawas co., O., 93 e. n. e. Columbus, 324 W. It is situated on the n. bank of Tuscarawas r., and on the Ohio and Erie canal.
Newcomb, t., Essex co., N. Y., 32 s. w. Elizabeth, 92 n. by w. Albany. The surface is mountainous, embracing some of the high peaks of the Adirondack mountains. It contains several beautiful lakes, from which flow the head waters of the Hudson, some of which have fine falls. The whole scenery is wild, romantic, and grand. The mountains abound with iron ore of the best quality. It has 2 forges, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $600. 1 sch. 16 scholars. Pop. 74.
New Concord, p-o., Chatham t., Columbia co., N. Y., 21 s. Albany, 359 W.
New Concord, p-v., Union t., Muskingum co., O., 68 e. Columbus, 325 W. It contains an academy, 3 stores, about 50 dwellings, and 300 inhabitants. In the vicinity are 3 churches, a fulling m. and carding machine, and a grist m.
New Concord, p-o, Callaway, Ky.
New Cumberland, p-b., Allen t., Cumberland co., Pa., 4 s. w. Harrisburg, 111 W. Situated on Susquehanna r., at the confluence of Yellow Breeches cr. Incorporated in 1831, and contains 2 stores, cap. $10,000; 3 lumber yards, cap. $20,000; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $2,670. Pop. 284.
New Cumberland, p-v., Warren t., Tuscarawas co., O., 123 e. n. e. Columbus, 309 W. Situated on the Ohio canal, and on the E. bank of Conoten cr., and contains 3 stores, 20 dwellings, and about 125 inhabitants.
New Derry, p-v., Westmoreland co., Va.
New Durham, p-t., Strafford co., N. H, 33 n. e. Concord, 514 W. The surface is uneven and rough; soil, moist, and well adapted to grazing. It has several ponds, the largest of which, 10 ms. in circumference, has an outlet that flows into Merrymeeting bay, in Winnipiseogee lake. Incorporated in 1762. There are in the t. ] store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,100. 14 sch. Pop. 1,032.
New Durham, v., Bergen co., N. J. It contains an academy, 2 stores, and 25 dwellings.
New Echota, p-v., Cass co., Ga., 166 n. w. Milledgeville, 623 W. Situated on the s. side of Oostanaula r., immediately below the junction of the Coosawattee and Conasauga rivers.
New Egypt, p-v., Upper Freehold t., Monmouth co., N. J., 18 s. e. Trenton, 179 W. Situated on Crosswick's cr. It contains a Methodist church in the vicinity, 3 stores, and valuable grist and saw m.
New England Village, p-v.. Worcester t., Worcester co., Mass., 33 w. Boston, 404 W.
New Fairfield, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 74 s. w. Hartford, 298 W. It has 4 stores, cap. $6,800;
1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw in. Cap. in manufac. $6,300. 6 sch. 164 scholars. Pop. 956.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!