New Fane, VT to New Ipswich, NH
New Fane, t., capital of Windham co., Vt., 12 n. w. Brattleboro, 100 s. Montpelier. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile. Chartered in 1772.
Watered by West r. and its branches, which afford water power. The v., at the centre, contains a court house, jail, a Congregational church, and an academy. The situation is elevated, and commands one of the most extensive and picturesque prospects in the state, embracing a part at least of 50 towns in Vt., N. H., and Mass. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $15,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 12 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $4,550. 11 sch. 434 scholars. Pop. 1,403.
New Fane, p-t., Niagara co., N. Y., 279 w. by n. Albany, 416 W. The surface gently inclines toward Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the N.; soil, sandy and argillaceous loam. Drained by Eighteen Mill cr. It has 5 stores, cap. $10,800; 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $27,500. 13 sch. 549 scholars. Pop. 2,372.
Newfield, p-t., York co., Me., 80 s. w. by w. Augusta, 531 W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain and to grazing. Incorporated in 1794. Drained by Little Ossipee r. It has 1 furnace, 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,542. 566 scholars in schools. Pop. 1,351.
Newfield, p-t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 283 w. Albany, 410 W. The surface is hilly, and in the centre broken; soil, a fertile, gravelly loam. Drained by Cayuta cr., and the inlet of Cayuga lake. The v. contains 1 Presbyterian church, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $12,600; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 26 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $52,450. 27 sch. 1,088 scholars. Pop. 3,567.
Newfound Lake, Grafton co., N. H., is 6 ms. long and 2¼ broad--lies in Hebron, Alexandria, Bridgewater, and Bristol, and in the latter t. has its outlet, which flows into the Pemigewasset r.
Newfoundland, p-o., Morris co., N. J., 93 n. Trenton, 259 W. Here is a Presbyterian church.
New Frankfort, p-v., Scott co., Ia., 81 s. by e. Indianapolis, 585 W.
New Franklin, p-v., Paris t., Stark co., O., 140 n. e. Columbus, 298 W. It contains 2 stores, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. It is on the line of the Sandy and Beaver canal.
New Franklin, p-v., Carroll co., Ia., 75 n. n. w. Indianapolis, 637 W.
New Garden, p-t., Chester co., Pa., 32 s. w. Philadelphia, 74 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 104 W. The surface is level; soil, calcareous loam. Drained
by Red Clay and While Clay creeks. In the centre is a church. It has 5 stores, cap. $13,000; 2 cotton fac. 3,466 sp., 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 3
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $48,050. 6 sch. 150 scholars. Pop. 1,411.
New Garden, p-o., Russell co., Va.
New Garden, p-v., Guilford co., N. C, 98 w. n. w. Raleigh, 319 W.
New Garden, p-v., Hanover t., Columbiana co., O., 150 n. e. by e. Columbus, 238 W.
New Garden, p-t., Wayne co., Ia., 78 e. Indianapolis, 507 W. Pop. 1,890.
New Geneva, p-v., Springfield t., Fayette co., Pa., 196 w. by s. Harrisburg, 212 W. Situated on Monongahela r., at the junction of George cr. It contains 1 church, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 65 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.
New Germantown, p-v., Tewkesbury t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 44 n. by w. Trenton, 219 W. It contains 3 churches--1 Presbyterian, 1 Lutheran, and 1 Methodist--an academy, 3 stores, about 40 dwellings, and 250 inhabitants.
New Germantown, p-v., Toboyne t., Perry co., Pa., 46 w. Harrisburg, 134 W. It contains 2 German churches, 2 stores, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
New Gilead, p-v., Moose co., N. C, 101 s. w. Raleigh, 388 W.
New Glasgow, p-v., Amherst co., Va., 119 w. Richmond, 171 W. It has an elevated situation, and contains 1 free church, an academy, 4 stores, 1 tannery, and about 25 dwellings.
New Glocester, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 41 s. w. Augusta, 567 W. Watered by Royal's r,, which affords water power. The soil is fertile, particularly on the streams, where are extensive intervales. It contains 5 stores, capital
$4,800; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,825. 12 sch. 729 scholars. Pop. 1,946.
New Grayson, p-o., Grayson co., Va., 260 w. s. w. Richmond, 345 W.
New Guilford, p-v., Perry t., Coshocton co., O., 67 n. e. Columbus, 356 W.
New Hackensack, p-o., Fishkill t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 79 s. Albany, 306 W.
New Hagerstown, p-v., Orange t., Carroll co., O., 114 e. n. e. Columbus, 300 W. It contains 1 church, 3 stores, 1 warehouse, 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
New Hamburg, p-v., Poughkeepsie t., Dutchess co., N. Y. Situated on Hudson r., near the mouth of Wappinger's cr. A ferry here crosses to Hampton.
State of New Hampshire
New Hampton, p-t., Belknap co., N. H., 29 n. w. Concord, 510 VV. Pemigewasset r. washes its w. boundary, and across it is a bridge to Bristol. The surface is uneven and broken; soil, very fertile. Incorporated in 1777. It contains a flourishing academy. It has 4 stores, cap. $8,200; 2 fulling m., 2 woollen fac., 5 cotton fac. 22,699 sp., 4 tanneries, 3 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 acad. 363 students, 16 sch. 717 scholars. Pop. 1,809.
New Hampton, p-v., Lebanon t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 47 n. Trenton, 204 W. Situated on the s. side of Musconetcong cr. It contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and about 25 dwellings.
New Hanover, County, N. C. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, bounded s. e. by the Atlantic, and contains 995 sq. ms. Drained by the n. e. branch of Cape Fear r. and its tributaries. A large swamp lies in its e. part. Along
the Atlantic shore are long, low, and narrow islands, with occasional inlets. Capital, Wilmington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,605, sheep 4,789, swine 24,859; wheat 469 bush. produced, Ind. corn 200,423, buckwheat 18, potatoes 114,014, rice 1,467,600 pounds, cotton 28,566; 2 commercial and 11 commission houses, capital $100,000; 58 stores, cap. $322,140; 1 tannery, 2
distilleries, 49 grist m., 22 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $305,535. 6 acad. 216 students, 10 sch. 223 scholars. Pop. whites 6,371, slaves 6,376, free col'd 565; total, 13,312.
New Hanover, p-t., Montgomery co., Pa., 74 e. Harrisburg, 150 W. The surface is hilly; soil, loam and red shale, tolerably productive. Drained by Swamp creek, on which is a small v., with 2 churches. The population is chiefly German. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 4 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufactures $6,575. Pop. 1,419.
New Harmony, p-v., Monroe co., Ky., 143 s. s. w. Frankfort, 656 W.
New Harmony, p-v., Posey co., Ia., 172 s. w. Indianapolis, 742 W. It was founded in 1814 by a society of Germans, from Swabia, called "Harmonists," who removed from Butler co., Pa., under George Rapp. Their society was founded on a community of goods; but the climate proving unfavorable, they returned to Pa., and settled at Economy, Ohio t., Beaver co., 18 miles below
Pittsburgh, on the Ohio r. (See Economy.)
New Harrisburg, p-v., Carroll co., O., 130 e. n. e. Columbus, 301 W.
New Hartford, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 20 w. by n. Hartford, 344 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, a gravelly loam, or a coarse gravel, abounding with stones, adapted to grazing. Watered by Farmington r. It has 2 villages, and contains 3 churches--2 Congregational and 1 Baptist. The villages are on Farmington r., and each contains about 30 dwellings, and several mills and manufactories. It has 6 stores, capital $18,000; 2 furnaces, 4 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 1 tannery, 2 paper m., 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $361,350. 2 acad. 61 students, 11 sch. 424 scholars. Pop. 1,703.
New Hartford, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 4 w. Utica, 95 w. n. w. Albany, 384 W. The surface is diversified with gently rising hills, and beautiful valleys, productive and well cultivated. The soil is a rich calcareous loam. Drained by Sadaquada cr,, & fine mill stream. The v. is situated on this cr., and contains 4 churches--1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Universalist--a female seminary, 6 stores, 3 cotton fac., 1 grist m., 1 trip-hammer works, 1 bleaching and dyeing establishment, 100 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. There are in the t. 13 stores, cap. $30,850; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 5 cotton fac. 14,164 sp., 1 tannery, 1 paper fac., 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $361,732. 18 sch. 960 scholars. Pop. 3,819.
New Hartford, p-v., Pike co., Ill., 76 w. by s. Springfield, 856 W.
New Hartford Centre, p-v., New Hartford t., Litchfield co., Ct., 18 w. by n. Hartford, 341 W. It contains a Baptist church and several factories.
New Haven, County, Ct. Situated in the s. part of the state, and contains 540 sq. ms. Long Island sound bounds it on the s. Housatonic r. runs on its s. w. border, and separates it from Fairfield co. The surface is generally uneven.
Two mountain ranges terminate at East Rock and West Rock, near New Haven. The soil is various, much of it a light sandy loam, but some of it strong and fertile. Drained by Naugatuck, Quinnipiac, Pomperaug, West, Mill, and Menunkatuck rivers. Capital, New Haven. There were in 1840, neat cattle 31,627, sheep 41,392, swine 17,234; wheat 7,032 bush. produced, rye 129,391, Ind. corn 234,548, buckwheat 30,031, barley 2,731, oats 167,640, potatoes 481,941, sugar 1,261 pounds; 6 commercial and 2 com. houses in for. trade, cap. $132,000; 342 stores, cap. $1,223,745; 14 lumberyards, cap. $149,000;
3 rope fac., 26 fulling m., 14 woolen fac., 4 cotton fac. 3,358 sp., 27 tanneries, 22 distilleries, 1 pottery, 2 flouring m., 48 grist m., 93 saw m., 3 paper fac., 9 printing offices, 5 binderies, 4 periodicals, 2 daily, 5 weekly, 2 tri-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $2,545,679. 1 college,
561 students, 32 acad. 1,030 students, 242 sch. 9,339 scholars. Pop. 48,619.
New Haven, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 60 w. Montpelier, 489 W. The surface is moderately uneven; soil, marl, clay, and loam, and fertile. Watered by Otter creek, Middlebury r., and Little Otter cr., which afford good water power. It
contains a small v. in which is a Congregational church. Chartered in 1761. It has 3 stores, cap. $19,000 ; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,800. 12 sch. 630 scholars. Pop. 1,503.
New Haven, p-t., Oswego co., N. Y., 10 e. Oswego, 161 w. n. w. Albany, 383 W. The surface is undulating; soil, sandy loam, adapted to grass, and very productive. Drained by Catfish cr., flowing into Lake Ontario, which bounds
it on the n. The v. is situated on the cr., and contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, and about 200 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 1 store, cap. $3,350; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,300. 10 sch. 605 scholars. Population, 1,738.
New Haven, p-v., Nelson co., Ky., 68 s. w. Frankfort, 610 W.
New Haven, p-t, Huron co., O., 82 n. Columbus, 394 W. The v. contains 6 stores, and several manufacturing establishments. There are in the t. 6 sch. 282 scholars. Pop. 1,270.
New Haven, p-o., Macomb co., Mich., 25 n. e. Detroit, 549 W.
New Haven, p-v., Gallatin co., Ill., 197 s. s. E. Springfield, 765 W. Situated on Little Wabash r., 2 ms. from its mouth, and contains several stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., and about 20 dwellings.
New Haven Mills, p-v., New Haven t, Addison co., Vt, 54 w. s. w. Montpelier, 486 W.
New Holland, p-v., Earl t, Lancaster co., Pa., 49 e. by s. Harrisburg, 123 W. It contains 1 church, 1 store, and about 30 dwellings.
New Holland, p-v., Perry t, Pickaway co., O., 43 s. Columbus, 413 W.
New Hope, p-b., Solebury t, Bucks co., Pa., 110 e. by n. Harrisburg. Situated on Delaware r., opposite to Lambertsville, N. J. It contains 6 stores, cap. $41,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $15,000; 2 cotton fac. 7,000 sp., 2 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,800. 1 acad. 50 students, 2 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 820. Here is a fine covered bridge across the Delaware, supported on 9 piers, built by a company with a cap. of $160,000, who have, by their charter, banking privileges.
New Hope, p-v., Augusta co., Va., 130 w. n. w. Richmond, 149 W. It contains 1 church, free to all denominations, 3 stores, and about 50 inhabitants.
New Hope, p-v., Iredell co., N. C, 163 w. Raleigh, 374 W. It contains a Methodist church, and about 30 inhabitants.
New Hope, p-v., Spartanburg dist, S. C, 110 n. w. Columbia, 483 W.
New Hope, p-v., Madison co., Ala., 146 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 713 W.
New Hope, p-v., Scott t, Brown co., O., 99 s. w. Columbus, 466 W. Situated on the E. bank of White Oak cr., and contains 3 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. in the vicinity, and about 80 inhabitants.
New Hope, p-v., Lincoln co., Mo.
New Hudson, t, Alleghany co., N. Y., 14 w. Angelica, 270 w. s. w. Albany. The surface is elevated and undulating; soil, well adapted to grass. Drained by Black cr. It has 3 stores, cap. $1,700; 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,700.
2 sch. 44 scholars. Pop. 1,502.
New Hurly, p-v., Shawangunk t, Ulster co., N. Y., 83 s. w. Albany, 300 W. It contains I church, 2 stores, and about 20 dwellings, not very compact.
New Iberia, p-v., St. Martin's par., La., 170 w. New Orleans, 1,289 W. Situated on the w. side of Teche r., slightly elevated, and contains about 250 inhabitants.
Newington, p-t, Rockingham co., N. H., 40 e. s. e. Concord, 496 W. The soil is sandy and unproductive, excepting on the streams. A bridge 2,600 feet long connects it with Durham. Chartered in 1764. It has 1 tannery, 1 sch. 140
scholars. Pop. 543.
Newington, p-v., Wethersfield t, Hartford co., Ct, 6 s. Hartford, 330 W. It is a fine agricultural parish. The v. contains 1 Congregational and 1 Methodist church, an academy, and about 650 inhabitants.
New Ipswich, p-t, Hillsboro' co., N. H., 47 s. s. w. Concord, 447 W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grass, and some kinds of grain. Watered by Souhegan r. and its branches. Over one of these branches is a fine stone bridge of a
single arch, 156 feet long, and 42 feet above the water. It has 4 stores, cap. $12,200; 3 cotton fac. 3,600 sp., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 6 saw mills.
Cap. in manufac. $61,800. 1 acad. 186 students, 11 sch. 423 scholars.
State of New Jersey
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!