New Jerusalem, PA to
New Paltz, NY
New Jerusalem, p-o., Bucks co., Pa., 66 e. Harrisburg, 159 W.
New Kent, County, Va. Situated toward the e. port of the state, and contains 225 sq. ms. Pamunky r. bounds it on the n. e., and Chickahominy r. on the s. and s. w. Capital, New Kent C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,193, sheep 2,518, swine 9,379; wheat 22,131 bush. produced, Ind. corn 139,784, oats 51,207, potatoes 8,496, cotton 4,138; 10 stores, cap. $20,685; 1 tannery, 16 distilleries, 12 grist m., 12 sch. 287 scholars. Pop. whites 2,472, slaves 3,335, free col'd 373; total, 6,230.
New Kent, C. H., p-v., capital of New Kent co., Va., 30 e. Richmond, 147 W. It contains a court house, jail, 6 stores, and about 15 dwellings. It is 3 ms. s. of Pamunky r., and has a healthy situation.
New Kingston, p-o., Delaware co., N. Y.
Newkirk's Mills, p-o., Bleecker t., Fulton co., N. Y., 59 n. w. Albany,
New Lancaster, p-v., Warren co., Ill., 102 n. w. Springfield, 848 W.
Newland, p-o., Richland co., Ill.
New Lebanon, p-t., Columbia co., N. Y., 23 s. e. Albany, 368 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous, having Taghkannic mountain w., and the Peterborough hills e., and a fertile valley between them. It contains New Lebanon Springs, and a large Shaker Settlement. It has 11 stores, cap. $39,200; 3 fulling m., 5 woollen fac., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. §61,565. 1 acad. 75 students, 16 sch. 812 scholars. Pop. 2,536.
New Lebanon Shaker Settlement, v., New Lebanon t., Columbia co., N. Y. Situated 2 ms. s. New Lebanon Springs. It contains 1 church, 10 large dwellings, occupied by the society in common, 1 woollen fac., 1 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 iron foundry, 3 machine shops, 20 or 30 shops for various manufactures, and about 600 inhabitants. They have 3 extensive dairies, and
nearly 3,000 acres of land, highly cultivated. Their manufactures are neat, useful, and in high esteem.
New Lebanon Springs, p-v., New Lebanon t., Columbia co., N. Y., 25 s. e. Albany. Situated near the Massachusetts line, and contains 1 Baptist church, 4 stores, 2 woollen fac., 25 dwellings, including 5 hotels and boarding houses, and about 200 inhabitants. Here are warm springs, which have a temperature of 73° of Fahrenheit, useful in rheumatisms, salt-rheums, and cutaneous affections. Two quarts of water contain muriate of lime, 1 grain; muriate of soda, 1¾; sulphate of lime, 1½; carbonate of lime, ¾; total, 5 grains. Of gases, nitrogen gas, 13 cubic inches; atmospheric air, 8; total, 21 cubic inches. The place and vicinity are celebrated for pure air and
delightful scenery. The Albany and West Stockbridge, and the Hudson and Berkshire railroads run within a few miles of the springs, connected in the summer months by a line of stages.
New Lebanon, p-v., Pasquotank co., N. C., 237 e. n. e. Raleigh, 271 W. Situated on the head waters of Pasquotank r., at the s. extremity of the Dismal Swamp canal.
New Lebanon, p-v., Sullivan co., Ia., 103 s. w. by w. Indianapolis, 670 W.
New Lexington, p-v., Pike t., Perry co., O., 52 e. Columbus, 351 W. Situated on the s. e. bank of Big Rush cr. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 30 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
New Lexington, p-v., Tuscaloosa co., Ala., 24 n. Tuscaloosa, 826 W. Situated on w. side of North r.
New Liberty, p-v., capital of Owen co., Ky., 36 n. Frankfort, 543 W. Situated about 3 ms. e. of Eagle cr. It contains a court house, several stores, and 227 inhabitants.
New Light, p-o., Wake co., N. C, 25 Raleigh, 279 W.
New Limerick, t., Aroostook co., Me. It has 3 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 123.
Newlin, t., Chester co., Pa., 28 s. w. Philadelphia. The surface is hilly; soil, calcareous loam. Watered by the w. branch of Brandywine cr., which affords water power. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac., 1 tannery, 1 brewery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,050. 3 sch. 171 scholars. Pop. 728.
New Lisbon, p-t., Otsego co., N. Y., 90 w. Albany, 345 W. The surface is hilly, with broad valleys on the e. and w.; soil, sandy loam. Drained by Butternut and Otego creeks. It has 4 stores, cap. $14,500; 2 fulling m., 1 woollen fac., 1 cotton fac. 110 sp., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,150. 14 sch. 515 scholars. Pop. 1,909.
New Lisbon, p-v., Centre t., capital of Columbiana co., O., 150 e. n. e. Columbus, 230 W. Situated on the n. side of the Middle fork of Little Beaver r., and on the Sandy and Beaver canal. It contains a court house, jail, a bank, 6 churches, 10 stores, 3 printing offices, 300 dwellings, mostly of brick, and about 2,000 inhabitants. A number of the streets are paved or macadamized, and the side-walks are laid with brick. It has an extensive water power, and contains in the immediate vicinity, 1 furnace, 4 flouring m
4 saw m., 1 paper m., 1 woollen fac., and 1 fulling m. and carding machine.
New Lisbon, p-v., Henry co., Ia., 55 e. Indianapoiis, 526 W.
New Lodge, p-o., Mercer co., Pa., 241 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 277 W.
New London, County, Ct. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. The surface is hilly; soil, fertile, adapted to grazing, and to some kinds of grain. Long Island sound bounds it on the s., on which are a number of excellent harbors. Watered by Thames r., formed by the junction of Shetucket and Yantic rivers, which afford excellent water power. Quinnebaug r. is a principal branch of Shetucket r. Pawcatuck r. bounds it on the s. e., and Connecticut r. on the s. w. Capitals, New London and Norwich. There were in 1840, neat cattle 27,441, sheep 62,395, swine 14,256; wheat 10,138 bush. produced, rye 37,633, Ind. corn 186,587, buckwheat 16,966, barley 21,875, oats 122,355, potatoes 394,301; 1 commission house in foreign trade, cap. $20,000; 247 stores, cap. $770,450; 11 lumber yards, cap. $76,500; cap. invested in fisheries $1,190,000; 24 fulling m., 23 woollen fac., 16 cotton fac. 29,013 sp., 20 tanneries, 2 potteries, 7 rope fac., 57 grist m., 64 saw m., 3 oil m., 5 paper fac., 4 printing offices, 3 binderies, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $1,661,725. 17 acad. 747 students, 231 sch. 10,790 scholars. Pop. 44,463.
New London, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 30 n. w. Concord, 484 W. Sunapee lake lies on its s. w. border. A large pond in its w. part discharges its waters into Sunapee lake. Two other ponds form the sources of Blackwater r. and
Warner r. The surface is rolling, and the soil fertile. Incorporated in 1779. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,675. 1 acad. 132 students, 8 sch. 322 scholars.
New London, city, port of entry, and semi-capital of New London co., Ct. It is situated on the Thames, 3 miles from its entrance into Long Island sound, and is in 41° 24' n. lat. and 72° 30' w. lon. from Greenwich, and 4° 0' 48" e. lon., from W. It is 44 s. e. from Hartford, 52 e. from New Haven, 55 s. w. from Providence, and 353 from W. The population in 1810 was 3,238; in 1820, 3,330; in 1830, 4,356; in 1840, 5,519.
It is built on a declivity, which descends to the e. and s. Back of the city the ground rises to a considerable height, and from its summit presents a fine view of the harbor and the surrounding country. The ground being rough, and overspread with granite rocks, rendered it difficult to lay it out with much regularity; and it was not attempted. It is not in general very well built; but there are some houses, recently erected, which are neat and elegant.
The county courts are held alternately at this city and at Norwich. It has the usual county buildings. There are 5 places of public worship--2 congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist. There are 3 banks, and 2 insurance offices. A daily line of steamboats connects this place with New York, which extends to Norwich, and connects with the railroad to Worcester. There are also several lines of packets.
The harbor is the best in the state, and one of the best in the United States. It has a depth of 30 feet, and is spacious and safe. It is defended
by two forts. Fort Trumbull is situated on a projecting point, about a mile below the city, and is generally garrisoned by soldiers of the U. States army. The other fortification is Fort Griswold, on an eminence on the opposite side of the river, in Groton. There is a light-house on a projecting point of land which divides the harbor from Long Island sound, 3 miles below the city. The harbor is rarely obstructed at all by ice.
New London has not an extensive back country, the trade of which naturally flows to it; but it serves in some measure as a port to Connecticut river, which is not generally navigable to vessels of the largest class, nor at all, a portion of the year. The foreign trade of New London is chiefly with the West Indies, and its coasting trade with the Southern States. The fisheries,
and particularly the whale fishery, have extensively engaged the attention and employed the capital and enterprise of its inhabitants. About $1,000,000 is devoted to the prosecution of this business. The tonnage of the port in 1840, was 44,822. There were in 1840, 40 retail stores, cap. $220,000; 3 lumber yards, cap. $30,000; capital employed in the fisheries, $830,000; machinery produced, $20,000; hardware and cutlery $61,000; 1 tannery, capital, $3,000; 3 rope walks, capital $10,000; 1 printing office, 1 bindery, 1 weekly paper. Total cap. in manufac. $91,300. 4 acad. 131 students, 14 sch. 787 scholars.
New London was first settled in 1646. The township is the smallest in the state, being only four miles in length, with an average breadth of three fourths of a mile. In September, 1781, a large portion of the place was burned by the British, under the traitor Benedict Arnold, and Fort Griswold, in Groton, was captured, and a large part of the garrison were put to the sword. A granite monument erected on the spot, 150 feet high, commemorates the event, and on it are inscribed the names of those who fell.
New London, p-v., Verona t., Oneida co., N. Y., 117 w. n. w. Albany, 388 W. Situated on the Erie canal, and contains 6 stores, an extensive boat yard, 25 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
New London, t., Chester co., Pa., 36 s. w. Philadelphia. The surface is a gentle declivity; soil, sandy loam. Elk cr. flows on its w. border. Watered by Clay cr. It contains 2 churches. It has 7 stores, cap. $22,000; 2 woollen fac., 1 tannery, 1 forge, 6 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,030. 1 acad. 80 students, 5 sch. 131 scholars. Pop. 1,553.
New London, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 70 n. w. Annapolis, 52 W.
New London, p-v., Campbell co., Va., 127 w. by s. Richmond, 202 W. Situated on a branch of Staunton r., and contains 1 Methodist church, an academy, and about 25 or 30 dwellings. It is one of the oldest towns in the state. The United States armory, now at Harpers Ferry, was originally located here.
New London, p-t., Huron co., O., 96 n. Columbus, 385 W. It has 7 sch. 193 scholars. Pop. 1,218.
New London, p-v., Henry co., Iowa.
New London, p-v., capital of Ralls co., Mo., 98 n. n. e. Jefferson City, 902 W. Situated on the s. side of Salt r. It contains a court house, jail, 1 acad. 38 students, 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 263.
New London Cross Roads, p-v., New London t., Chester co., Pa., 72 s. e. Harrisburg, 95 W. It is a small v. in the n. w. corner of the t.
New Lyme, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 195 n. e. Columbus, 329 W. Organized in 1813, by the name of Lebanon; received its present name in 1825, in remembrance of Lyme, Ct., whence many of its original inhabitants came. It has 5 sch. 236 scholars. Pop. 527.
New Madison, p-v., Harrison t., Darke co., O., 100 w. Columbus, 494 W.
New Madrid, County, Mo. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and contains 1,625 sq. ms. The surface is level, and in parts liable to be annually
overflowed. The soil in that part which is sufficiently elevated for cultivation, is very fertile. Capital, New Madrid. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 6,655, sheep 1,043, swine 21,408; wheat 9,503 bush. produced, Ind. corn 461,110, oats 11,055, potatoes 9,527, cotton 1,164 pounds; 15 stores, cap. $53,000; 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,900. 2 acad. 25 students, 4 sch. 99 scholars. Pop. whites 3,748,
slaves 801, free col'd 5; total, 4,554.
New Madrid, p-v., capital of New Madrid co., Mo., 271 s. e. Jefferson City, 911 W. Situated on the n. side of the Mississippi r., at a considerable bend in the r. The bank of the r. is somewhat elevated, but has been undermined. The place was visited by earthquakes in 1811 and 1812. It contains a court house, 10 stores, and about 500 inhabitants. Pop. of t. 1,668.
Newmansville, p-o., Greene co., Tenn., 268 E. Nashville, 430 W.
New Marion, p-v., Ripley co., Ia., 73 s. e. Indianapolis, 553 W.
New Market, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 38 s. e. Concord, 488 W. Lamprey r. runs on its n. e. boundary, and Exeter r. on its s. w. border. Drained by a branch of Lamprey r. The soil is fertile. Incorporated in 1727. It has 1
Congregational and 1 Methodist church, and a Wesleyan academy. On Lamprey r. is a v., with considerable manufactures, to which vessels of from 80 to 100 tons can come. There are in the t. 30 stores, cap. $30,000; 3 cotton fac.
14,000 sp., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 acad. 46 students, 13 sch. 764 scholars. Pop. 2,730.
New Market, p-v., Piscataway t., Middlesex co , N. J., 36 n. e. Trenton, 203 W. Situated on the e. bank of Cedar cr., and contains a store, a grist m., and about 25 dwellings.
New Market, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 67 n. w. Annapolis, 49 W. Situated on the n. branch of Bush cr. It is surrounded with a beautiful country.
New Market, p-v., Shenandoah co., Va., 139 n. w. Richmond, 112 W. Situated one mile e. of the n. fork of Shenandoah r., near the s. w. border of the co. It contains 3 churches--1 Lutheran, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist--an academy,
5 stores, 120 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. It has numerous manufactures, and 2 forges, and several mills in the vicinity. The country around abounds with iron ore. On Massanutten mountain, e. of the v., is a beautiful cascade, where the stream, a few yards wide, descends in an unbroken sheet, 50 feet perpendicularly.
New Market, p-v., Randolph co., N. C, 85 w. Raleigh, 324 W.
New Market, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C, 90 w. Columbia, 528 W.
New Market, p-v., Madison co., Ala., 170 n. Tuscaloosa, 691 W.
New Market, p-v., Jefferson co., Tenn., 208 e. Nashville, 476 W. Situated on the head waters of Loss cr.
New Market, p-v., Marion co., Ky., 65 s. s. w. Frankfort, 587 W. Situated on the n. side of the Rolling Fork of Salt r.
New Market, p-t., Highland co., O., 81 s. w. Columbus, 448 W. It has 4 sch. 147 scholars. Pop. 1,302.
New Market, p-v., Vigo co., Ia., 82 w. by s. Indianapolis, 654 W.
New Market, p-v., Platte co., Mo.
New Marlboro', p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 131 s. w. by w. Boston, 364 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile, adapted to grazing. Drained by Konkapot r. and its branches. A pond in the s. part discharges its waters into Blackberry
r. in Canaan. Incorporated in 1736. It has 4 stores, cap. $11,500; 1 fulling m., 1 forge, 1 tannery, 1 powder m., 3 paper fac., 4 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,000. 11 sch. 430 scholars. Pop. 1,682.
New Maysville, p-v., Putnam co., Ia., 32 w. Indianapolis, 603 W.
New Middleton, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 120 n. e. Harrisburg, 228 W.
New Middleton, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 185 n. e. by e. Columbus. Pop. 118.
New Milford, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 51 w. s. w. Hartford, 308 W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, generally fertile, being a sandy, gravelly, and clay loam. Watered by Housatonic r. and its branches. This large t. has 9 churches--2 Congregational, 2 Episcopal, 2 Baptist, 2 Methodist, and 1 Friends. The v. contains 2 churches, 5 stores, and about 69 dwellings. A bridge here crosses the Housatonic r., erected in 1737, and the first bridge across it ever erected in its whole course. Two other bridges cross the r. in this t. Marble is found here. It has 7 stores, cap. $29,300; 1 cotton fac. 1,500 sp., 5 tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,900. 23 sch. 879 scholars. Pop. 3,974.
New Milford, p-o., Warwick t.. Orange co., N. Y., 120 s. by w. Albany, 264 W.
New Milford, p-t., Susquehanna co., Pa., 185 n. Harrisburg, 289 W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay and gravel. Drained by Mitchell's and Salt Lick creeks. The v., in the n. e. part of the t., contains an Episcopal church, 3 stores, and about 25 dwellings. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $27,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $12,600. 8 sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,148.
Newman's Mills, p-o., Indiana co., Pa.
New Mount Pleasant, p-v., Jay co., Ia., 97 n. e. Indianapolis, 520 W.
Newnan, p-v., capital of Coweta co., Ga., 106 w. by n. Milledgeville, 710 W. It contains a court house, jail, and about 15 or 20 dwellings.
Newnansville, p-v., capital of Alachua co., Flor., 120 e. s. e. Tallahassee, 72 w. St. Augustine.
New Ohio, p-o., Colesville t., Broome co., N. Y., 127 w. s. w. Albany, 310 W.
New Orleans, city, port of entry, and capital of Louisiana, in the parish of Orleans, is the fourth city in population, and the third in commerce, in the United States. It is on the left bank of Mississippi r., which has here a singular curve which places the city on its n. w. side, and facing to the s. e. It is 105 ms. from its mouth, by the course of the river, but only 90 in a direct line--1,132 from St. Louis, 1,397 from New York, 1,612 from Boston, and 1,172 from Washington--in 29° 57' n. lat., 90° 6' w. lon. from Greenwich, and 13° 5' w. lon. from W. The population in 1810, was 17,242; in 1820, 27,176; in 1830, 46,310; in 1840, 102,193--of whom 23,448 were slaves. Employed in agriculture, 1,430; in commerce, 7,392; in manufactures and trades, 4,593; navigating the ocean, 1,315; do. rivers and canals, 285; learned professions, 438.
The old city proper is in the form of a parallelogram, of which the longer sides are 1,320 yds. long, and the shorter, toward the swamp in the rear, 700 yds. Above the city are the suburbs of St. Mary and Annunciation, and below are the suburbs of Marigny, Franklin, and Washington. These are called Fauxbourgs. Between the city and the bayou St. Johns, are the villages of St. Claude and St. Johnsburg. The old city
proper was laid out by the French, and now forms not more than one eighth of the city limits, and not more than one third of its thickly settled parts. In 1836, the legislature passed an act, dividing the city into 3 municipalities, ranking them according to their population. The 1st includes the city proper, extending with that width from the river back to Lake Pontchartrain, and occupying the centre; the 2d adjoining it above, and the 3d below, both extending from the river to the lake. Each municipality has a distinct council for the management of its internal affairs, which do not encroach on the general government.
The situation of New Orleans for commerce is very commanding. The length of the Mississippi r., and its connected waters, which are navigated by steam, is not less than 20,000 miles, and the country which they drain is not surpassed in fertility by any on the globe. Its advantages for communication with the country in its immediate vicinity are also great. By a canal, 4½ ms. long, it communicates with Lake Pontchartrain, and its connected ports. This canal cost $1,000,000. There is also a canal, 1¼ m. long, which communicates with Lake Pontchartrain through bayou St. John. A railroad, 4½ ms. long, connects it with Carrollton. A railroad, 4¼ ms. long, connects the city with Lake Pontchartrain, 1 m. e. of bayou St. John. The Mexican Gulf railroad extends 24 ms., to Lake Borgne, and is to be continued to the gulf, at the South Pass. The Mississippi, opposite to the city, is half a mile wide and from 100 to 160 feet deep, and continues of this depth to near its entrance into the ocean, where are bars, with from 13½ to 16 feet of water. The level of the city is from 3 to 9 feet below the level of the river, at the highest water. To protect it from inundation, an embankment, called the Levee, is raised on its border, from 4 to 10 feet high, and generally from 20 to 40 feet broad; but in front of the 2d municipality, by the annual deposits made by the river, and the filling up by the corporation, it is extended to 500 or 600 feet broad. This forms a splendid promenade, and a very convenient place for depositing the cotton and other produce from the upper country, which can be rolled directly from the decks of the steamers to the bank of the r. The levee extends from 43 ms. below the city to 120 above it. The harbor presents an area of many acres, covered with flat-boats, and keel-boats, in its upper parts. Sloops, schooners, and brigs, are arranged along its wharves, and present a forest of masts; and steamboats are continually arriving or departing. The amount of domestic articles exported exceeds $12,000,000 annually, being greater than those of any other city in the Union, excepting New York. The houses of the city proper have a French and Spanish aspect, are generally stuccoed, and are of a white or yellow color. A basement story, about 6 feet high, forms the only cellar, as none are sunk beneath the surface of the ground. The city proper and the Fauxbourg St. Mary, are compactly and substantially built. The buildings in the Fauxbourg St. Mary and many other parts of the city, are mostly of brick, and resemble those of other cities of the United States. The city proper contains 66 complete squares; each square having a front of 319 feet in length. Few of the streets, excepting Canal-street, are more than 40 feet wide. Many of the seats in the suburbs are surrounded with spacious gardens, splendidly
ornamented with orange, lemon, magnolia, and other trees. No city in the United States has so great a variety of inhabitants, with such an astonishing contrast of manners, language, and complexion. The French population probably
still predominates over the American, though the latter is continually gaining ground. The water generally used in the city is rain water, contained
in cisterns holding from 20 to 50 hogsheads each. The Commercial Bank water works, which cost $455,000, raise the water 20 or 30 feet above the city, and distribute it by pipes, having an aggregate length of 12 ms. The city water works have a pipe 1 m. long, to furnish running water, in hot weather, through the gutters of the city, which cost $110,000. A draining company, with a capital of $640,000, has 2 steam engines for draining the marshes between the city and Lake Pontchartrain, of 35 sq. ms. in extent. The land is thus made valuable, and the health of the city improved--although it is still unhealthy, from July to the middle of October. The city contains a state house, custom house, 2 exchanges, a U. S. mint, a U. S. land office; 5 banks, with a capital of more than $10,000,000; a large and splendid Roman Catholic cathedral, 90 by 120 feet, with 4 towers; the Ursuline convent, 3 theatres, the College of Orleans, a charity hospital, which has received 900 patients in a year; 3 other hospitals, an orphan asylum, and various other charitable
institutions. There are 2 large, and several smaller cotton presses, of great importance to the business of the city. There are fewer churches than in any other city in the Union in proportion to its size. The Roman Catholics have 3, the Episcopalians 2, the Presbyterians, Baptists, and Methodists, 1 each, and there is a mariners' church.
There were in 1810, 8 commercial and 375 commission houses, with a cap. of $16,490,000; 1,881 retail stores, cap. $11,018,225; 32 lumber yards, cap. $67,800; 6 furnaces, cap. $355,000; hardware manufactured to the amount of $30.000; 1 cotton fac. 700 sp., cap. $20,000; tobacco manufactures, cap. $60,000; 1 tannery, cap. $50,000; 2 distilleries, cap. $56,000; 3 sugar refineries, value produced $700,000; 3 steam saw m., cap. $175,000; 18 printing offices, 5 binderies, 9 daily, 6 weekly, and 2 semi-weekly newspapers, with a cap. of $162,200; 201 brick and stone, and 210 wooden houses built, cost $2,234,300. Cap. in manufac. $1,774,200. 2 colleges, 105 students, 10 acad. 440 students, 25 sch. 975 scholars.
The city was founded by the French in 1717. In 1762 it was conveyed to the Spanish, who in 1800 reconveyed it to the French; and in 1803 it was purchased by the United States, in the purchase of Louisiana. On January 8th, 1815, the British, under Gen. Packenham, made an attack on the city, approaching it through Lake Borgne; but they were signally defeated by the
Americans, under Gen. Jackson. The British loss, in killed and wounded, was 3,000 men, and Gen. Packenham was killed; the Americans lost only 7 men killed and 6 wounded.
New Oxford, p-v., Berwick t., Adams co., Pa., 33 s. by w. Harrisburg, 85 W. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, and about 45 dwellings.
New Paltz, p-t., Ulster co., N. Y.,74 s. by w. Albany, 306 W. The surface is hilly on the w., covered in part by Shawangunk mountain; soil, mostly calcareous loam, and generally productive. Bounded on the e. by Hudson r. Watered by Wallkill r. The inhabitants are mostly of Dutch descent. The v. is situated on the Wallkill, 9 ms. w. of the landing, on the Hudson, and contains 2 churches, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 1 tannery, 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $19,000; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,900; 1 acad. 35 students, 26 sch. 1,109 scholars. Pop. 5,408.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!