New Platz, NY to Newton, NJ
New Paltz Landing, p-v.. New Paltz t., Ulster co., N. Y., 73 s. by w. Albany, 300 W. Situated on the w. bank of Hudson r., opposite Poughkeepsie v., and contains 1 church, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 1 tannery, and about 40 dwellings.
New Paris, p-v., Jefferson t., Preble co., O., 106 w. by s. Columbus, 499 W. Situated on the w. bank of Whitewater r., which affords good water power. It contains 1 church, 4 stores, 2 grist m., 4 saw m., in the vicinity, 60 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.
New Petersburgh, p-v., Paint t., Highland co., O., 79 s. w. Columbus, 434 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 4 stores, 4 warehouses, 35 dwellings, and about 350 inhabitants.
New Philadelphia, p-v., Goshen t., capital of Tuscarawas co., O., 115 e. n. e. Columbus, 313 W. Situated on the e. bank of Tuscarawas r., on a beautiful plain, opposite to the mouth of Sugar cr. It contains a court house, jail, several stores, a printing office, 80 dwellings and about 500 inhabitants.
New Philadelphia, p-v., Washington co., Ia., 96 s. Indianapolis, 596 W.
New Pittsburg, p-v., Chester t., Wayne co., O., 92 n. e. Columbus, 355 W. It contains 2 stores, about 25 dwellings, and 150 inhabitants.
New Plain, p-v., Murray co., Ga.
Newport, county, R. I. It consists of several islands in Narraganset bay, and a portion of the main land, and contains 136 sq. ms. The most important portion of the co. is Rhode Island, 15 ms. long, and 2½ broad. The surface is gently uneven; soil, fertile, adapted to grain and to grass. Fossil coal is found. Canonicut, Prudence, and Block islands constitute the chief remaining insular portions of the co. The advantages for navigation are very great, and many of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries. Capital, Newport. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,633, sheep 29,230, swine 5,679; wheat 408 bush.
produced, rye 3,500, Ind. corn 96,058, buckwheat 135, barley 33,005, oats 62,607, potatoes 142,218; 7 houses in foreign trade, cap. $140,700; 133 stores, cap. $397,990; 5 lumber yards, cap. $30,300; cap. invested in fisheries, $301,557; 2 fulling m., 5 woolen fac., 10 cotton fac. 21,890 sp., 1 dyeing and printing establishment, 4 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 3 rope fac., 24 grist m., 4 saw m., 3 printing offices, 2 binderies, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $877,408. 3 acad. 1O0 students, 62 sch. 2,471 scholars. Pop. 16,874.
Newport, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 54 n. e. Augusta, 649 W. It contains a large and beautiful pond, into which several streams empty, and the outlet of which forms the source of Sebasticook r. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Its streams afford water power. It has 4 stores, cap. $4,800; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,330. 8 sch. 471 scholars.
Newport, p-t., capital of Sullivan co., N. H., 39 w. by n. Concord, 474 W. The surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile, especially on the streams. Watered by Sugar r., the three branches of which unite near the centre, affording good water power, and where is a pleasant v. Chartered in 1761. It has 7 stores, cap. $31,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 2 tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2 grist m., 10 saw m., 19 sch. 650 scholars. Pop. 1,958.
Newport, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 64 n. Montpelier, 580 W. It has Lake Memphremagog on its n. e. border, and extends to the Canada line on the n. Watered by head branches of Missisque r. Chartered in 1802. It contains considerable tracts that are low and swampy. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,900. 8 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 591.
Newport, p-t., capital of Newport co., and semi-capital of the state of Rhode Island, 30 s. by e. Providence, 408 W. Situated on the s. w. side of Rhode Island, 5 miles from the ocean. The harbor, which is of a semi-circular form,
spreads westward before the town. It is one of the finest in the United States, being safe, easy of access, and capacious, and sufficiently deep for vessels of the largest class. The harbor is defended by Fort Adams, situated on Brenton's Pt., Island of Rhode Island, 1½ miles w. s. w. of the town, and is garrisoned by 4 companies of U. S. Artillery. Fort Greene, built during the late war, has gone to decay; it was at the northern extremity of the town. The site of the town is a beautiful and gentle acclivity, which rises gradually from the harbor, exhibiting it to great advantage, as it is approached from the water. The pleasantness of its situation, and the
healthfulness of its climate, its fine views, and its cooling ocean breezes, have rendered it a favorite summer resort to the inhabitants of the cities, and of the southern states. It contains a state house, market house, theatre, almshouse, a library, containing over 3,000 volumes, 3 acad. with over 100
students, 7 banks, 12 churches--4 Baptist, 2 Congregational, 2 Episcopal, 1 Friends, 1 Moravian, 1 Methodist, and a Jews' Synagogue--1,200 dwellings, and 8,333 inhabitants. The commerce of Newport is considerable, with Europe, the East and West Indies, in the coasting trade and the fisheries. It has 5 commer. and 2 commis. houses, cap. $126,700; 104 stores, cap. $346,515; 3 lumber yards, cap. $26,800; 1 fulling m., 2 woollen fac., 4 cotton fac., 20,290 sp., 3 tanneries, 1 dist., 1 brewery, 3 printing offices, 2 binderies, 3 weekly newspapers, 7 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $726,983. 8 sch. 265 scholars. Tonnage in 1840 10,924
Newport, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 86 n. w. Albany, 405 W. The surface is hilly, with fertile valleys; soil, sandy and calcareous loam, adapted to grass. Drained by West Canada cr. The v. is situated on the cr., and contains 1 Episcopal and 1 Baptist church, 3 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 distillery, 60 dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $26,700; 2 lumber yards, 1 furnace, 2 fulling m., 2 cotton fac. 1,636 sp., 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $99,925. 10 sch. 482 scholars. Pop. 2,020.
Newport, p-v., Dover t, Cumberland co., N. J., 79 s. by w. Trenton, 190 W. It is called also "Autuxet." Situated on Nautuxet cr., 5 ms. above its mouth. It contains 1 store and about 30 dwellings.
Newport, p-v., Juniata t., Perry co., Pa., 28 n. w. Harrisburg, 132 W. Situated on the w. bank of Juniata r., above the mouth of Little Buffalo cr. It contains 3 stores, 1 sch. 75 scholars, and 423 inhabitants. It is on the bank of the canal, and has considerable business. There is a ferry here across the r.
Newport, t., Luzerne co., Pa., 8 s. w. Wilkesbarre. Watered by Nanticoke r., which has falls, affording great water power. At the falls a dam is constructed, for feeding the N. Branch canal. Anthracite coal and bog iron ore are abundant. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 3 flouring m., 4 saw m. Cap in manufac. $6,400. 5 sch. 225 scholars. Pop. 1,099.
Newport, p-v., New Castle co., Del., 49 n. Dover, 108 W.
Newport, p-v., Charles co., Md., 83 s. w. Annapolis, 44 W.
Newport, p-o., Giles co., Va., 222 w. Richmond, 268 W.
Newport, p-v., capital of Cocke co., Tenn., 232 e. by s. Nashville, 465 W. Situated on the s. w. side of French Broad r., and contains a court house, 2 churches--1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian--1 academy, and 150 inhabitants.
Newport, p-v., capital of Campbell co., Ky., 86 n. n. e. Frankfort, 493 W. Situated on Ohio r., immediately above the entrance of Licking r., and directly opposite to Cincinnati. It contains a court house, jail, market house, an academy, endowed by the state with 6,000 acres of land, and a United States arsenal. It is situated on an elevated plain, commanding a fine view of Cincinnati.
Newport, p-t., Washington co., O., 118 e. s. e. Columbus, 293 W. It has many fine farms with handsome brick dwellings along the Ohio r. The v. is situated on the n. bank of Ohio r., 14 ms. above Marietta. It contains 1 church, 2 stores. There are in the t. 10 sch. 484 scholars. Pop. 1,228.
Newport, p-v., capital of Vermilion co., Ia., 78 w. Indianapolis, 650 W. Situated on the s. side of Vermilion r., 2 ms. above its junction with the Wabash r. It contains a brick court house, jail, and 3 stores. It is surrounded by a very fertile country. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $19,000; 2 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $4,800. 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 192.
Newport, p-v., Franklin co., Mo., 70 e. Jefferson City, 877 W. Situated on high bluffs 1 m. from the Missouri r., and contains 2 stores and a landing and warehouse, a little above, on the r. opposite to Pinckney. It was formerly the capital of the co.
Newport, rivers, Ga. The n. r. is 25 ms. long, navigable to Riceboro, near its sources; the s. r. is a smaller stream, emptying into St. Catharines sound.
New Portage, p-v., Norton t., Medina co., O., 119 n. e. by n. Columbus,
New Portland, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 56 n. n. w. Augusta, 650 W. The soil is very fertile, adapted to grain. Watered by Seven Mile Brook and its branches, which afford water power. Incorporated in 1808. It has 7 stores, cap. $13,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,125. 17 sch. 597 scholars. Pop. 1,620.
Newportville, p-v., Bristol t., Bucks co., Pa., 116 e. Harrisburg, 158 W. Situated at the head of navigation, on Neshaminy cr., which affords water power. It contains a store, about 15 dwellings, and a bridge across the cr. on stone piers.
New Preston, p-v., Washington t., Litchfield co., Ct., 43 w. by s. Hartford, 320 W. Situated on w. side of e. Aspetuck r. It has 2 churches--1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal--a factory, and several neat dwellings.
New Prospect, p-v., Franklin t., Bergen co., N. J., 87 n. e. Trenton, 253 W. It is pleasantly situated on elevated ground, on Hohokus cr., and contains 1 store, 2 paper m., 2 grist m., a chair fac., with lathes moved by water power, and a number of dwellings.
New Prospect, p-v., Spartanburg dist., S. C., 117 n. w. Columbia, 483 W.
New Prospect, p-v., Greene co., Ala., 57 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 874 W.
New Prospect, p-o., Milton t., Wayne co., O., 110 n. e. Columbus, 341 W.
New Providence, p-t., Essex co., N. J., 13 s. w. Newark, 56 n. e. by n. Trenton; 222 W. The surface is hilly, and mountainous on the w.; soil, clay loam and red shale. It has 4 stores, cap. $9,500; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 paper fac., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,700. 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 832.
New Providence, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 46 e. by s. Harrisburg, 121 W.
New Providence, p-v., Montgomery county, Tenn., 47 n. w. Nashville, 732 W.
New Providence, p-v., Clarke co., Ia., 107 s. by e. Indianapolis, 618 W.
New Richmond, p-o., Crawford co., Pa., 246 n. w. by w. Harrisburg.
New Richmond, p-v., Ohio t., Clermont co., O., 116 s. w. Columbus, 487 W. Situated on Ohio r., just above the mouth of Muddy cr. It contains 2 churches--1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist--10 stores, 1 steam grist m., 1 steam saw m., 2 carding machines, 130 dwellings, and about 900 inhabitants.
New, r., Va., rises in N. C., and flowing into Va., after passing through Peters mt., it is called the Great Kanawha r.
New, r., N. C., runs into New River inlet, in the Atlantic, 45 w. s. w. Cape Lookout.
New, r., Beaufort dist., S. C., runs nearly parallel with Savannah r., and, by several mouths, enters Tybee sound.
New, r., La., rises near the Mississippi r., and flowing between that and Amite r., enters Lake Maurepas.
New River, p-o., Ascension par., La., 83 w. n. w. New Orleans, 1,200 W.
New Road, p-o., Sidney t., Delaware co., N.Y., 102 s. w. Albany, 329 W.
New Rochelle, p-t., Westchester co., N. Y., 18 n. e. New York, 145 s. Albany, 244 W. The surface is undulating or level; soil, clay loam, adapted to grass. Long Island sound bounds it on the s. The v. is pleasantly situated at the head of a small bay of Long Island sound, and has a good steamboat landing, from which 2 sloops owned here, trade to New York, and steamboats pass daily. It contains a town house, 3 churches--1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist--1 male and 2 female boarding schools, 9 stores, 1 grist m., 1 bone button fac., 1 printers' ink fac., 1 carriage fac., 125 dwellings, and about
800 inhabitants. It has a fine view of Long Island sound. It was early settled by Huguenots, from Rochelle in France. It has 2 acad. 38 students, 1 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 1,816.
New Rochester, p-v., Freedom t., Wood co., O., 108 n. w. Columbus, 453 W.
New Ross, p-v., Montgomery co., Ia., 35 w. n. w. Indianapolis, 606 W.
New Rumley, p-v., Rumley t., Harrison co., O., 116 e. by n. Columbus, 290 W. It contains 1 church, 3 stores, 1 tannery, 2 carding machines, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Newry, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 64 w. Augusta, 611 W. Watered by Bear river, and another branch of Androscoggin r., which afford good water power. Incorporated in 1805. It has 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$304. 4 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 463.
Newry, p-v., Frankstown t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 122 w. Harrisburg, 157 W. Situated on Poplar run, a tributary of the Frankstown branch of Juniata r. It contains 1 German Reformed and 1 Roman Catholic church, 3 stores, 1 distillery, and about 50 dwellings and 300 inhabitants.
New Salem, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 73 w. n. w. Boston, 403 W. Miller's r. flows on its n. border. Watered by a branch of this river, and by a branch of Middle r. The surface is elevated; soil, well adapted to grazing.
Incorporated in 1753. There is an academy which was incorporated in 1795. It contains 3 churches--2 Congregational and 1 Baptist It has 4 stores, cap. $4,300; 1 fulling m, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,150. 1 acad. 103 students, 12 sch. 360 scholars. Pop. 1,305.
New Salem, p-v., New Scotland t., Albany co., N. Y., 12 w. Albany, 382 W. It contains 1 Dutch Reformed church, 2 stores, 1 tannery, and about 15 dwellings.
New Salem, p-v., Salem t., Fayette co., Pa., 187 w. by s. Harrisburg, 203 W. It contains 2 stores, and about 25 dwellings.
New Salem, p-o., Harrison co., Va., 267 n. w. Richmond, 235 W.
New Salem, p-v., Randolph co., N. C., 81 w. Raleigh, 319 W.
New Salem, p-v., Walnut t., Fairfield co., O., 40 s. e. Columbus, 371 W.
New Salem, p-v., Rush co., Ia., 47 e. s. e. Indianapolis, 541 W.
New Salisbury, p-v., Harrison co., Ia., 124 s. Indianapolis, 616 W.
New Scotland, p-t., Albany co., N. Y., 9 w. Albany, 379 W. The surface is hilly; soil, sand, loam, and clay. Drained by Coeyman's cr. and a branch of the Normanskill r. The village contains 1 Presbyterian church, 2 stores, 20
dwellings, and about 125 inhabitants. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $12,000; 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,800. Pop. 2,912.
New Sewickly, t., Beaver co., Pa., 5 e. Beaver. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. Watered by Big Beaver r., which has falls in this t. affording great water power. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,200. 4 sch. 133 scholars.
New Sharon, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 28 n. w. Augusta, 621 W. It has a fertile soil, adapted to wheat. Drained by Sandy r., which flows into
Kennebec r. Incorporated in 1794. It has 4 stores, cap. $10,000; 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,300. 17 sch. 729 scholars.
New Shoreham, p-t., Newport co., R. I., 15 s. s. w. Point Judith, 13 n. e. Montauk Point, Long Island. The t. comprises Block Island, 8 miles long, and from 2 to 4 broad. The surface is uneven; soil, a sandy and gravelly loam, and productive. About one seventh of the surface is covered with ponds. There are no forests, and peat is the only fuel. There are 1 Baptist church, 4 stores, and 2 wind m. There is no harbor for vessels. The inhabitants are mostly fishermen, employed in taking cod and mackerel. It has 4 stores, cap. $2,500; 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. 61,000. 4 sch. 374 scholars. Pop. 1,069.
Newson's Depot, p-o., Southampton co., Va., 78 s. s. e. Richmond, 197 W. Situated on the Portsmouth and Roanoke railroad.
New Springfield, p-v., Columbiana co., O., 167 n. e. by e. Columbus, 289 W.
New Stanton, p-v., Westmoreland co., Pa.
Newstead, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 20 n. e. Buffalo, 266 w. Albany, 386 W. The surface is undulating; soil, clay, and gravelly and calcareous loam. Drained by Ellicott's cr., and tributaries of Tonawanda cr. It has 4 stores, cap. $12,000; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,495. 15 sch. 702 scholars. Pop. 2,653.
New Store, p-o., Buckingham co., Va., 75 w. Richmond, 165 W.
New Sweden, p-v., Au Sable t., Clinton co., N. Y., 155 n. Albany, 530 W. Situated on the n. side of Au Sable r., and contains 2 stores, 1 forge, 5 saw m., 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Newton, County, Ga. Situated in the central part of the state, and contains 460 square miles. Drained by Yellow and Alcopahatchee rivers, branches of Ocmulgee r., which flows on its s. w. border. Capital, Covington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,031, sheep 4,212, swine 17,283; wheat 46,222 bushels produced, rye 901, Indian corn 465,329, oats 26,373, potatoes 13,990, tobacco 747 pounds, cotton 4,115,635; 26 stores, cap. $62,000; 7 lumber yards, cap. $9,230; 1 cotton fac. 396 sp., 2 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 12 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $58,641. 1 acad. 25 students, 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. whites 7,890, slaves 3,720, free col'd 18; total, 11,628.
Newton, County, Miss. Situated a little s. e. of the centre of the state, and contains 540 sq. miles. Drained by head branches of Chickasawha r. Capital, Decatur. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,316, sheep 1,387, swine 14,120;
wheat 1,924 bushels produced, Ind. corn 95,751, potatoes 10,312, rice 1,670 pounds, cotton 273,892; 1 tannery, 6 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 college, 2 sch.
48 scholars. Pop. whites 1,980, slaves 546, free col'd 1; total, 2,527.
Newton, County, Mo. Situated in the s. w. corner of the state, and contains 1,150 sq. miles. Drained by branches of Neosho river. Capital, Neosho. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,824, sheep 3,721, swine 17,290; wheat 6,151 bushels produced, Ind. corn 264,116, oats 5,918, potatoes 9,561, tobacco 9,170 pounds, cotton 1,583, sugar 1,752; 12 stores, cap. $23,440; 4 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 6 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,950. 6 sch. 114 scholars. Pop. whites 3,616, slaves 169, free col'd 5; total, 3,790.
Newton, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 7 w. Boston, 433 W. It lies on a bend of Charles river, which bounds it on 3 sides, and furnishes extensive water power, having 2 falls, at each of which is a v. Incorporated in 1691. The v.
at the Upper Falls contains 2 churches--1 Baptist and 1 Methodist--a nail fac., rolling m. and machine shop, and about 70 dwellings. The r. descends 35 feet in half a mile, and, in one place, falls over a ledge of rocks 20 feet high. The v. at the Lower Falls is 2 ms. n. w., lies partly in Needham, and contains 1 Episcopal church, 5 paper m., and about 50 dwellings. The Boston and Worcester railroad passes through it. The Newton Theological Seminary, under the direction of the Baptists, was founded in this town in 1825, and has a brick edifice 85 feet long, 49 wide, and 3 stories high, which cost about $10,000; 3 houses for professors, and a mansion house for boarding the students. It has 3 professors, 33 students, 137 graduates, and 4,000 vols., in its libraries. There are in the t. 15 stores, cap. $29,600; 1 cotton fac. 5,712 sp., 3 paper fac., 2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $318,000. 4 acad. 114 students, 11 schools, 509 scholars. Pop. 3,351.
Newton, p-t., capital of Sussex co., N. J., 70 n. Trenton, 238 W. The surface is hilly on the n. w. and on the s. e., and level in the centre. Watered by Paulinskill. The borough or p-v. is situated on the Paulinskill, has several streets, with a large public square in the centre, on which stands the court house, jail, and county offices. It contains 3 churches--1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Methodist--1 academy and 1 high school, a bank, a lyceum, a public library, 8 stores, 2 printing offices, each issuing a weekly newspaper, about 150 dwellings, and 900 inhabitants.
The court house was built in 1765. The
Episcopal church has a valuable glebe farm of 100 acres near the
v. There are in the t. 15 stores, cap. $58,000; 1 furnace, 1
fulling m., 2 woolen fac., 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 5 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $91,325. 3 acad. 91 students, 15 sch. 537 scholars.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!