Oakey Hill, FL to Ohio River
Oakey Hill, p-o., Jackson co., Flor.
Oak Field, p-o., Genesee co., N. Y., 257 w. Albany, 332 W.
Oak Flat, p-o., Pendleton co., Va., 161 n. w. Richmond, 161 W.
Oak Forest, p-o., Cumberland co., Va., 57 w. Richmond, 137 W.
Oak Forest, p-o., Iredell co., N. C., 152 w. Raleigh, 370 W.
Oakfuskie, p-o., Randolph co., Ala., 152 e. Tuscaloosa, 747 W.
Oak Grove, p-o., Westmoreland co., Va., 82 Richmond, 93 W.
Situated 1 mile from Mattox cr., and contains 1 Methodist
church, 5 stores and has considerable trade.
Oak Grove, p-o., Livingston co., Mich., 57 n. w., Detroit, 560
Oak Grove, p-o., Edgecombe co., N. C., 77 e. Raleigh, 284 W.
Oak Grove, p-o., Union dist., S. C., 90 n. w. Columbia, 448 W.
Oak Grove, p-o., Washington par., La., 80 n. Orleans, 1,117 W.
Oak Grove, p-o., Jefferson co., Tenn., 222 e. Nashville, 475 W.
Oak Grove, p-o., Christian co., Ky., 218 s. w. Frankfort, 742 W.
Oak Grove, p-o., Jackson co., Mo., 128 s. e. Jefferson City,
Oak Grove, p-o., Montgomery co., Ia., 55 n. w. Indianapolis, 626
Oak Grove Furnace, p-o., Perry co., Pa., 25 n. w. Harrisburg,
Oakham, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 64 w. Boston, 416 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, not very fertile, excepting on the
streams. Watered by Five Mile r., a branch of Chickapee r., and
Ware r. Chartered in 1762, before which it belonged to Rutland.
It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $17,350. 9 sch. 404 scholars. Pop. 1,038.
Oak Hill, p-o., Cumberland co., Me., 56 s. w. Augusta, 539 W.
Oak Hill, p-o., Durham t., Greene co., N. Y., 34 s. w. Albany,
Oak Hill, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 64 s. e. Harrisburg, 94 W.
Oak Hill, p-v., Madison t., Jackson co., O., 80 s. s. e.
Columbus, 391 W. It contains 2 stores and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Oak Hill, p-o., Fauquier co., Va., 119 n. by w. Richmond, 62 W.
Oak Hill, p-o., Granville co., N. C, 71 n. Raleigh, 256 W.
Oak Hill, p-o., Newton co., Ga., 72 n. w. Milledgeville, 659 W.
Oak Hill, p-o., Overton co., Tenn., 104 e. by n. Nashville, 616
Oakland, County, Mich. Situated in the e. part
of the peninsula, and contains 900 sq. ms. Drained by Clinton r.
and its branches, and by the head branches of Huron, Flint,
Rouge, and Shiawassee rivers. The surface is rolling; soil,
fertile. Capital, Pontiac. There were in 1840, neat cattle
20,561, sheep 19,656, swine 39,213; wheat 264,965 bush,
produced, rye 6,157, Ind. corn 254,902, buckwheat 23,740, barley
4,514, oats 238,005, potatoes 329,807, sugar 90,614 pounds; 62
stores, capital $166,645; 1 furnace, 6 fulling m., 1 woolen fac,
3 tanneries, 6 distilleries. 24 flouring m., 14 grist m., 41 saw
m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$288,345. 117 sch. 4,800 scholars. Pop. 23,646.
Oakland, p-v., Hartford co., Ct., 9. w. Hartford, 345 W.
Oakland, p-v., Portage t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 254 w. by s.
Albany, 357 W. Situated on Cashaqua cr., and contains 1
Methodist church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, 1
clothier's works, 35 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Oakland, p-o., Armstrong co., Pa.
Oakland, p-o., Morgan co., Va., 170 n. by w. Richmond, 93 W.
Oakland, p-o., Clinton co., O., 77 s. w. Columbus, 450 W.
Oakland, p-v., Fayette co., Tenn., 195 s. w. Nashville, 880 W.
Oakland, p-o., Coles co., Ill., 97 e. s. e. Springfield, 682 W.
Oakland, p-o., Yallabusha co., Miss., 139 n. by e. Jackson, 984
Oakland, t., Oakland co., Mich., 53 Detroit. Watered by Paint
cr. and a branch of stony cr. It has 1 flouring m., 1 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,010. 7 sch. 300 scholars. Pop.
Oakland, p-o., Pulaski co., Mo. Situated on the w. bank of Osage
Fork of Gasconade r.
Oakland College, p-v., Claiborne co., Miss., 87 s. w. Jackson,
1,097 W. The college is situated near Rodney, 25 n. n. e.
Natchez, was founded under the patronage of the Presbyterians in
1831; has a president and 5 professors or other instructors,
about 100 students, including a primary department, and 1,522
vols, in its libraries.
Oakland Mills, p-o., Juniata co., Pa., 50 n. w. Harrisburg, 144
Oak Lawn, p-o., Baker co., Ga., 138 s. s. w. Milledgeville, 795
Oak Level, p-o., Henry co., Va., 196 w. s. w. Richmond, 271 W.
Oakley, p-o., Mecklenburg co., Va., 120 s. w. Richmond, 218 W.
Oakley, p-o., Madison co., Ala., 178 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 728 W.
Oak Orchard, p-v., Ridgeway t., Orleans co., N. Y., 259 w. by n.
Albany, 403 W.
Oak Point, p-o., St. Lawrence co., N. Y.
Oak Ridge, p-o., Guilford co., N. C, 104 w. JN. w. Raleigh, 289
Oak Ridge, p-o., Marshall co., Miss.
Oak's Corners, p-o., Phelps t., Ontario co., N. Y., 181 w.
Albany, 346 W.
Oaksville, p-v., Otsego t., Otsego co., N. Y., 73 w. Albany, 362
W. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, and 1 cotton fac, situated on
Oakville, p-v., Buckingham co., Va., 102 w. Richmond, 188 W. It
contains a store and 2 or 3 dwellings. Oakville, p-v.,
Mecklenburg co., N. C., 183 w. s. w. Raleigh, 420 W.
Oakville, p-v., Lexington dist., S. C., 13 s. w. Columbia, 519
Oakville, p-v., Lawrence co., Ala., 112 n. Tuscaloosa, 759 W.
Oakville, p-v., London t., Monroe co., Mich.
Oakville, p-v., St. Louis co., Mo.
Oatland Mills, p-o., Loudon co., Va., 148 n. Richmond, 41 W. It
contains a flouring m. capable of producing 40 barrels of flour
daily; 1 plaster m., 2 carding machines, an oil m., a saw m.,
all on Goose cr., a branch of the Potomac. A bridge crosses the
cr. of 120 feet span.
Obanionville, p-v., Miami t., Clermont co O., 102 s. w.
Columbus, 475 W.
Oberlin, p-v., Russia t., Lorain co., O., 110 n. n. e. Columbus,
379 W. It is the seat of Oberlin Collegiate Institute, which
embraces a male and a female department, both on the manual
labor system. It was founded in 1832, and has a president and 10
professors or other instructors, and about 498 students. It has
a theological depart ment. A religious periodical, called the
Oberlin Evangelist, is published here.
Obies, r., Tenn., rises in Morgan co., Tenn in Cumberland
Mountains, and flowing n. and w and receiving Wolf r. from Ky.,
it enters Cumberland r. in the w. part of Overton co.
Obion, County, Tenn. Situated in the n. w part
of the state, and contains 700 sq. ms. The Mississippi r. flows
on its w. border. Drained by Obion and Reelfoot rivers and their
branches. Along the Mississippi it is liable to be overflowes.
Capital, Troy. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,569, sheep
1,490, swine 23,409; wheat 10:24 bush, produced, Ind. corn
235,715, oats 14,137, potatoes 13,577, tobacco 243,120 pounds,
cotton 42,446, sugar 1,897; 8 stores, cap. $13,550; 2 tanneries,
3 distilleries, 6 grist m., 1 saw in. Cap in manufac. $6,675. 6
acad. 160 students, 10 sch. 222 scholars. Pop. whites 4,219,
slaves 587, free col'd 8; total, 4,814.
Occoquan, p-v., Prince William co., Va.,9 n. Richmond, 23 W.
Oceana, County, Mich. Situated in the n. w.
part of the settled portion of the peninsula, an contains 730
sq. ms. Drained by Maskegon an Rouge rivers. It is unorganized.
There were in 1840, 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 496.
Oceola, t., Livingston co., Mich. It has saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,000. 8 sch. 15 scholars. Pop. 504.
Oceola, p-o., Perry co., Tenn.
Oceola, p-o., Crawford co., O., 68 N. Columbus, 412 W.
Oceola, p-v., capital of Mississippi co., Ark. 130 e. n. e.
Little Rock. Situated on the west side of the Mississippi r.,
and contains a court house and a few dwellings.
Oceola Centre, p-v., Livingston co., Mich. 57 w. n. w. Detroit,
Ochesse, p-o., Jackson co., Flor. Ocmulgee, r., Ga. It
constitutes the w. and main branch of Altamaha r., rises in
Gwinnett and De Kalb counties, and flows in a s. s. e. direction
200 ms. to its junction with Oconee r. on the s. border of
Montgomery co., where they together form the Altamaha. It is
navigable for steamboats to Macon.
Ocmulgeeville, p-v., Telfair co., Ga., 148 Milledgeville, 759 W.
Situated 3 ms. s of Ocmulgee r., and 14 above the junction of
the Oconee and Ocmulgee.
Oconee, r., Ga., rises n. e. of the Ocmulgee r. and flows in a
s. s. e. direction until it unites with the Ocmulgee, 280 ms.
below Milledgeville Steamboats navigate it to Milledgeville.
Ocracoke Inlet, N. C., is the pass from the Atlantic Ocean into
Pamlico sound. On each side of the passage are dangerous shoals,
and the bar is 14 feet water, at low tide.
Ocracoke. p-v., Carteret co., N. C. Situated on the s. w. side
of the beach at Ocracoke inlet. It contains about 20 dwellings.
O'Connellsville, p-o., Chili t., Monroe co. N. Y., 225 w by n.
Albany, 378 W.
Ofahoma, p-o., Madison co., Miss., 47 n. by e. Jackson, 985 W.
Office Tavern, p-o., Amelia co., Va., 41 s. w Richmond, 153 W.
It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, and a plough
Ogden, t., Monroe co., N. Y., 10 w. Rochester, 227 w. by n.
Albany. The surface is generally level; soil, sandy and gravelly
loam. Drained by branches of Salmon and Rush creeks. The Erie
Canal passes through it, on which are Adams basin, and
Spencerport. It has 4 stores, cap. $18,800; 1 furnace, 2 grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,000. 14 sch. 882 scholars. Pop.
Ogden, p-v., Henry co., Ia., 36 e. by n. Indianapolis, 535 W.
Ogden, t., Lenawee co., Mich. It has 1 grist n., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $5,500. 2 sch. 11 scholars. Pop. 236.
Ogden, p-o., New Madrid co., Mo., 248 s. e. Jefferson City, 888
Ogdensburg, p-v. and port of entry, Oswegatchie t., St. Lawrence
co., N. Y., 210 n. n. w. Albany, 477 W. Situated on the e. side
of St. Lawrence r., at the mouth of Oswegatchie r. incorporated
in 1817, and contains 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist and 1 Roman Catholic, an academy, 2 banks,
stores and groceries, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., saw m., 1
clothier's works, 1 tannery, 2 iron foundries, 1 brewery, 1
distillery, 2 machine sops, about 450 dwellings, and 2,526
inhabitants, it is at the lower termination of sloop navigation,
just steamboats go to the rapids, 40 ms. below, and thence pass
by Ogdensburg to the various places on Lake Ontario. A
steam-ferry-boat crosses from this place to Prescott, in Canada,
a distance of 1½ m.
Ogechee, r., Ga., rises 7 ms. n. w. of Greensboro, in Greene
co., and after a course of over 200 ms., flows into Ossabaw
sound, 17 ms. s. of Savannah. It is navigable for boats of 30
tons to Louisville, in Jefferson co., and for sloops, 30 or 40
ms. from its mouth.
Ogemaw, County, Mich. Situated in the n. e. part of the state,
and contains 576 square miles, rained principally by Rifle r. It
Ogle, County, Ill. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 625 sq. ms. Drained by Rock r. and its
branches. Capital, Oregon City, here were in 1840, neat cattle
3,333, sheep 597, swine 10,329; wheat 69,250 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 106,868, oats 41,850, potatoes 46,130, tobacco, 300
pounds, sugar 370; 10 stores, cap. $18,000; distilleries, 1
flouring m., 3 grist m., 12 saw m., acad., 7 sch. 215 scholars.
Oglethorpe, County, Ga. Situated toward e n. e.
part of the state, and contains 490 sq. ms. Drained by branches
of Broad r., which runs on its n. e. border. Capital, Lexington,
here were in 1840, neat cattle 11,812, sheep 7,479, swine
27,461; wheat 33,919 bush, produced, rye 1,180, Ind. corn
490,516, barley 521, oats 66,229, potatoes 19,496, tobacco 1,002
pounds, cotton 2,639,655; 19 stores, cap. $78,000; 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 5 flouring m., 23 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $29,715. 3 acad. 107 students, 10 sch. 278 scholars.
Pop. whites 4,506, slaves 6,331, free col'd 31; total, 10,868.
Ogunquit, p-o., York co., Me., 82 s. w. Augusta, 510 W.
Ohatchie, p-o., Benton co., Ala., 119 e. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 737
Ohio River, a large
river of the United States. This r., if we take into view its
length, the richness and populousness, present and prospective,
of the vast country which it drains, and the extent of its
navigation, is second only to the Mississippi. It is formed by
the confluence of the Alleghany from the n. and the Monongahela
from the s. at Pittsburg, in the w. part of Pennsylvania, lat.
40° 28' n. and Ion. 80° 8' w., at the height of 1,138 feet above
tidewater in the Atlantic. It proceeds in a direction w. s. w.,
dividing the states of Virginia and Kentucky on the s. from
Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois on the n., and enters the
Mississippi, in lat. 37° n. and Ion. 88° 58' w. Its length from
Pittsburg to its mouth, by the course of the river, is 948
miles; but the distance in a direct course, is only 614 miles.
It has a descent, in its whole course, of 395 feet, making an
average descent of not quite 5 inches in a mile. The width of
the Ohio varies from 400 to 1,400 yards; its average width is
about 800 yards, which is its width opposite to Cincinnati. Its
widest place is at Louisville, Ky. At its mouth, it is about 900
yards wide. The great valley drained by this river contains over
200,000 sq. miles, and a population of over 3,000,000, which is
rapidly increasing. There are no considerable falls in this
river excepting at Louisville, Ky., where it descends 22½ feet
in 2 miles. These falls have been obviated by a canal around
them, which admits of the passage of the largest steam-boats;
but boats ascend and descend these rapids, when the water is
high. The current of the Ohio is very gentle, being, at the mean
height of the river, about 3 miles an hour; at high water it is
more, and at low water not more than 2 miles. The highest water
occurs in December, March, May, and June; and the lowest, in
August, September, and October. The average difference between
high and low water is 50 feet. During 8 or 10 weeks in the
winter, the navigation is obstructed by floating ice. Of the 2
confluents which form the Ohio, the Alleghany is the most
important, being navigable for boats 260 miles to Olean, N. Y.,
and will hereafter, by means of the Genesee Valley canal,
terminating at this place, and extending to the Erie canal, form
an important communication between the city of New York and the
west. The principal tributaries of the Ohio on the n. are the
Beaver, Muskingum, Scioto, the 2 Miamis, Whitewater, and Wabash;
those on the s. are the Kanawha, Sandy, Licking, Kentucky,
Green, Cumberland, and Tennessee. Some of these are navigable at
high water to a great extent, by boats and steam-boats. The
Tennessee is navigable by boats for 1,000 miles; the Cumberland
is navigable for steamboats to Nashville, and for keel-boats 300
miles further; the Wabash is navigable for 200 miles; Green
river 200 miles; Kentucky, 150; Great Kanawha 64 miles, to the
salt works. The Ohio, with its tributaries, has 5,000 miles of
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!