Onslow Bay, NC to Oriskany Creek, NY
Onslow Bay, N. C, a name given to a portion of the Atlantic,
between Cape Fear and Cap Lookout, where the shore has a
considerable curve inward, along which, at a distance from it of
from 1 to 2 ms., stretches a chain of narrow, long and low
islands, with shallow inlets between them.
Onslow, County, N. C. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. The surface is low
and level. Drained by New r. and its branches. Capital, Onslow
C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,003, sheep 5,161, swine
23,128; wheat 2,117 bush, produced, rye 1,556, Ind. corn
228,759, oats 8,126, potatoes 74,924, rice 4,411 pounds, cotton
218,104; 4 stores, cap. $35,000; 3 flouring m., 18 grist m., 10
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,825. 3 sch. 71 scholars. Pop. whites
4,675, slaves 2,739, free col'd 113; total, 7,527.
Onslow, C. H., p-v., capital of Onslow co., N. C, 145 s. E.
Raleigh, 372 W. Situated on the E. side of New r. It contains a
court house and a few dwellings.
Ontario Lake, N. Y. The easternmost of the great chain of lakes
of North America. It receives the waters of the upper lakes
through Niagara r., and discharges its waters through the St.
Lawrence r. into the Atlantic, which is nearly 1,000 ms. distant
from it. It is about 190 ms. long, 55 wide and 480 ms. in
circumference. The middle of it forms the boundary between the
United States and Canada. It is navigable throughout its whole
extent for vessels of the largest class, and is in some places
more than 600 feet deep. The surface is 334 feet lower than Lake
Erie, with which it is connected by the Welland canal in Canada,
and the Niagara r. Many vessels and steamboats are employed upon
it, and so great is its depth that it rarely freezes in the
winter, excepting in shallow places near the shore. It has
several important places on its shores, as Kingston, Toronto,
Niagara and Coburg, in Canada; and Oswego, Sackett's Harbor, and
Port Genesee or Charlotte, in the United States. The Oswego and
Erie canals, and Hudson r., connect it with the Atlantic Much of
the trade of New York with the west passes through it, by the
Oswego and Welland canals.
Ontario, County, N. Y. Situated centrally in
the w. part of the state, and contains 617 sq. ms. The surface
is various; the soil is generally a fertile loam. It has
Canandaigua Lake in the centre, Seneca Lake on the e., and
Candia, Honeoye, and Hemlock lakes on the w. The outlet of
Canandaigua Lake flows into Seneca r. The lakes further w.
discharge their waters into Genesee r. Iron ore, gypsum, and
marl, are found abundantly. It contains a spring, which emits
carbureted hydrogen, or inflammable gas, and some sulphur
springs. The Erie Canal touches its n. border, and the Auburn
and Rochester railroad passes through it. Capital, Canandaigua.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 34,300, sheep 172,190, swine
46,837; wheat 770,235 bush, produced, rye 6,162, Indian corn
246,018, buckwheat 16,961, barley 117,060, oats 462,266,
potatoes 395,844, sugar 183,273 pounds; 136 stores, cap.
$535,500; 5 lumber yards, cap. $5,300; 27 fulling m., 10 woolen
fac, 20 tanneries, 14 distilleries, 3 breweries, 3 potteries, 23
flouring m., 35 grist m., 92 saw ra., 1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 6
print-ing offices, 3 binderies, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $1,043,535. 1 college, 146 students, 18 acad. 1,372
students, 242 sch. 12427 scholars. Pop. 43,500.
Ontario, p-t, Wayne co., N. Y., 22 w. Lyons 205 w. by n. Albany,
362 W. The surface is level; sod, gravelly and sandy loam.
Drained by small streams flowing into Lake Ontario which bounds
it on the n. It has 1 store, cap $2,000; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1
grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,600. 10 sch. 423
scholars Pop. 1,889.
Ontario, p-o., Richland co., O., 60 n. by e Columbus, 385 W.
Ontwa, t., Cass co., Mich. It has 6 stores cap. $37,000; 1
flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac $3,857. 1 sch. 63
scholars. Pop 543
Onward, p-o., Stewart co., Tenn., 88 w. n. w Nashville, 769 W.
Oostenaula, r., Tenn. and Ga., rises in Tennessee, and, flowing
s., it unites with the Etowah r. to form the Coosa r. It is the
northern most stream e. of the Mississippi which flows into the
Gulf of Mexico.
Oostenaula, p-o., Hamilton co., Tenn., 140 s e. Nashville, 596
Opellikau, p-o., Russell co., Ala., 171 e. s. e Tuscaloosa, 784
Opelousas, p-v., capital of St. Landry par La., 217 w. n. w. New
Orleans, 1,242 W. Situated on a branch of Teche r. It is
surrounds by a level and pleasant country. It contains Franklin
College, founded in 1839. It has president, 3 professors, or
other instructors, and 70 students. The commencement is on the
1st of November. It contains a court house, a U. S. land office,
3 stores, and about 500 inhabitants.
Oporta, p-o., St. Joseph co., Mich., 13: m. w. Detroit, 583 W.
Oppenheim, p-t., Fulton co., N. Y., 64 n. w. Albany, 402 W. The
surface is partly hilly soil, various. East Canada cr. bounds it
on the w. Drained by several streams, which flow into Mohawk r.
It has 1 store, cap. $1,300; 3 tanneries, 17 saw m., 1 oil m.
Cap. in manufac $16,100; 13 sch. 601 scholars. Pop. 2,169.
Oquawka, p-v., capital of Henderson co., 11138 n. w.
Springfield, 868 W. Situated on the e. bank of the Mississippi
r., and contains a few stores and dwellings.
Or an, p-v., Pompey t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 119 w. by n.
Albany, 348 W. It contains 1 church, 1 store, 20 dwellings, and
about 125 inhabitants.
Orange, County, Vt. Situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 650 sq. ms. Organized in 1781. The n. w.
part is mountainous, lying on the e. range of the Green
mountains. The rocks in the n. and central part are chiefly
granite. A range of argillaceous slate extends through the w.
part. Large quantities of sulphuret iron are found in Strafford,
and some lead ore in Thetford. Connecticut r. bounds it on the
Drained by Ompompanoosuc and Wait's river and by branches of
White r. Capital Chelsea. There were in 1840, neat cattle
36,853. sheep 156,053, swine 22,516; wheat 69,565 bush produced,
rye 11,933, Indian corn 120,543, buckwheat 30,144, barley 5,265,
oats 245,878, potatoes 1,055,379, sugar 420,639 pounds; 60
stores, cap. $208,200; 22 fulling m., 5 woolen fac, 26
tanneries, 33 grist m., 109 saw m., 2 oil m., 2 pa; fac, 1
printing office. Cap. in manufac. $294,360 acad. 994 students,
267 schools 9,622 scholars Pop. 27,873.
Orange, County, N. Y. Situated in the s part of
the state, and contains 760 sq. miles, part of it is
mountainous, having Shawangunk mountains in the w. part, and the
Highland in the s. k. The remainder consists of gentle hills,
and pleasant and fertile valleys. The soil is productive, and
particularly adapted to grazing. It is celebrated for its fine
dairies, and Orange County butter is universally known and
highly valued in the New York market. Drained by Delaware r. and
its tributaries in the w., Wallkill in the centre and Hudson r.
bounds it on the e. The Delaware and Hudson canal crosses its w.
part, and the New York and Erie railroad is finished and in
operation, 45 ms., from Piermont, on Hudson r., to Goshen.
Capitals, Goshen and Newburgh. There were in 1840, neat cattle
54,799, sheep 50,218, swine 47,034; wheat. 94,774 bushels
produced, rye 326,668, Ind. corn 410,194. buckwheat 112,833,
barley 1,879, oats 417,701, potatoes 359,563, hops 1,845 pounds;
value of the products of the dairy, $669,866; 471 stores, cap.
$l,191,295; 21 lumber yards, cap. $85,000; 3 furnaces, 14
fulling m., 13 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 3.520 sp., 28
tanneries, 41 distilleries, 1 brewery, 3 potteries, 4 flouring
m., 53 grist m., 100 saw m., 4 paper fac, 6 printing offices, 1
bindery, 2 periodicals, 5 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$1,515,415. 21 acad. 1,409 students, 170 sch. 8,727 scholars.
Orange, County, Va. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 380 square miles, Rapidan r.
runs on its n. border. Drained by tranches of North Anna and
Rivanna rivers. The surface is hilly; soil, fertile. Capital,
Orange C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,399, sheep
10,708, swine 15,026; wheat 97,747 bush. produced, rye 8,420,
Indian corn 394,784, buckwheat 114, oats 91,671, potatoes
20,897, tobacco 416,335 pounds, cotton 2,061; 15 stores, Cap.
$95,300; 8 smelting houses, producing gold to the amount of
$84,000; 7 tanneries, 6 flouring m., 24 grist m., 20 saw m. Cap.
in manufactures $115,600. 5 acad. 41 students, 26 sch. 347
scholars. Pop. whites 3,575, slaves 5,364, free col'd 86; total,
Orange, County, N. C. Centrally situated toward
the n. part of the state, and contains 1,300 q. ms. Drained by
branches of Neuse and Haw Rivers. Capital, Hillsboro'. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 9,507, sheep 46,340, swine 23,131;
wheat 87,579 bush, produced, rye 2,643, Indian corn 383,426,
oats 81,613, potatoes 14,847, tobacco 262,882 pounds, cotton
253,437; 12 stores, cap. 72,000; 3 cotton fac. 2,360 sp., 11
tanneries, 11 distilleries, 1 pottery, 18 flouring m., 27 grist
m., 5 saw m., 3 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $102,880. acad. 209
students, 7 sch. 157 scholars. Pop. whites 16,771, slaves 6,954,
free col'd 613; total, 4,356.
Orange, County, la. Centrally situated toward
the s. part of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. Drained by
Lost r., and Lick and Patoka creeks, which afford good water
power. The surface is hilly and broken. The macadamized road
from New Albany to Vincennes is located through the co. Capital,
Paoli. There were in 340, neat cattle 7,508, sheep 15,678, swine
J.280; wheat 140,864 bush, produced, rye 1,991, Ind. corn
529,927, oats 149,796, tobacco 268,527 pounds, sugar 22,968; 27
stores, cap. $33,925; 5 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 3 potteries,
14 grist m., 5 saw m., 2 oil m., 1 printing office, 1
periodical, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $51,082. 40
sch. 974 scholars. Pop. 9,602.
Orange, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 14 s. e. Montpelier, 527 W. The
soil is cold and wet, but adapted to grazing; the surface is
uneven. The rocks are chiefly granite, in which are found
beautiful nail plates of white mica, several inches square.
Drained by Jail branch, which flows into the s. branch of Onion
r., and by head branches of Wait's r., which flow into
Connecticut r. It has 12 stores, cap. $3,000; 3 tanneries, 2
potteries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 5 grist m., 7
saw in., 1 oil m. Capital in manufac. $92,700. 12 sch. 323
scholars. Pop. 984.
Orange, t., Grafton co., N. H., 40 n. w. Concord. The surface is
uneven; soil, generally productive. It has a pond in the s. w.
part, the outlet of which flows into Smith's r. On the borders
of this pond is found a yellow paint. Ochre is also found, and
exported in large quantities. Chartered in 1769, by the name of
Cardigan, which is now the name of a mountain in its s. e. part.
It has 1 pottery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 4 sch. 207 scholars.
Orange, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 74 w. Boston, 415 W. The
surface is uneven and rough; soil, adapted to grazing. Drained
by Miller's r., which affords good water power. Incorporated in
1783. It has 6 stores, cap. $15,100; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 7
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,250. 12 sch. 424 scholars. Pop.
Orange, t., New Haven co., Ct., 4 s. w. New Haven. Organized in
1822, from New Haven and Milford. The v., formerly called West
Haven, is a neat and quiet place, and contains a Congregational
and an Episcopal church. There is a Congregational church in the
parish formerly called North Milford. Some silver and copper ore
have been obtained here. Drained by Wopewaug r. There are in the
t. 3 stores, capital $1,830; 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $10,800. 8 sch. 423 scholars. Pop. 1,329.
Orange, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 201 w. by s. Albany, 313 W.
The surface is elevated and rolling; soil, adapted to grass and
to grain. Drained by Mead's cr. It has 2 stores, capital $5,000;
1 tannery, 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $250. 10 sch. 525 scholars.
Orange, p-t., Essex co., N. J., 4½ n. w. Newark, 53 n. E.
Trenton, 219 W. The surface is mountainous or rolling; soil, red
shale, generally well cultivated. Drained by Second River and
branches of Rahway r. The v. extends 2 or 3 miles along the
turnpike road, and contains 4 churches, 1 Episcopal, 2
Presbyterian, and 1 Methodist, 10 stores, 2 saw m., and about
220 dwellings. Near it is a chalybeate spring, much resorted to.
The v. of South Orange is 5 ms. w. Newark, and contains 1
Presbyterian Church, 1 store, 1 paper factory, and about 30
dwellings. There are in the t. 10 stores, cap. $27,800; 1
tannery. Cap. in manufac. $76,750. 8 schools 330 scholars. Pop.
Orange, t., Cuyahoga co., O. The e. branch of Chagrin r. crosses
its s. e. corner, where is Chagrin falls, where the water falls
over a rock 28 feet perpendicularly, affording good water power,
where is a thriving v. It has 4 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $3,050. 8 sch. 380 scholars. Pop. 1,113.
Orange, t., Hancock co., O. It has 3 sch. 101 scholars. Pop.
Orange, t., Meigs co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $200; 2 grist m.,
3 saw m. Capital in manufac $2,200. 6 sch. 220 scholars. Pop.
Orange, t., Shelby co., O. It has 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac. 2
flouring m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. In manufac $3,730. 2
sch.55 scholars. Pop. 783.
Orange, p-o., Austintown t., Trumbull co., O., 169 n. e.
Columbus, 298 W.
Orange, t., Noble co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 saw
m., 1 sch. 18 scholars. Pop. 242
Orange, p-o., Branch co., Mich., 116 w. s. w Detroit, 567 W.
Orange, t., Macomb co., Mich. The soil is fertile, adapted to
grain and grass. Pop. 193.
Orange, p-v., Cherokee co., Ga., 129 n. w. Milledgeville, 660 W.
Orange, p-t, Fayette co., Ia., 49 e. by s. Indianapolis, 535 W.
Orangeburg, p-v., Marion co., Miss., 102 s. s. e. Jackson, 1,052
Orangeburg, dist., S. C. Situated a little s. of the centre of
the state, and contains 1,824 sq. ms. Congaree r. runs on its e.
border, and South Edisto r. on its s. border. Watered by North
Edisto r. and its branches. Capital, Orangeburg. There were in
1840, neat cattle 22,507, sheep 3,523, swine 33,383; wheat
12,490 bush, produced, rye 577, Ind. corn 477,011, oats 12,357,
potatoes 74,240, rice 510,670 pounds, cotton 878,370; 18 stores,
cap. $42,100; 67 grist m., 78 saw m. 1 acad. 40 students, 11
sch. 236 scholars. Pop. whites 6,321, slaves 11,934, free col'd
264; total, 18,519.
Orangeburg, C. H., p-v., capital of Orangeburg dist., S. C, 43
s. by e. Columbia. Situated on the e. bank of North Edisto r. It
contains a court house, jail, an academy, and several stores and
about 500 inhabitants.
Orange, C. H., p-v., capital of Orange co., Va., 84 n. w.
Richmond, 94 W. Situated at the foot of S. W. mountain. It
contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist a female academy, 9 stores, 1 printing office issuing
a weekly newspaper, and about 60 dwellings, mostly of brick, and
Orange Springs, p-v., Orange co., Va., 76 n w. Richmond, 98 W.
Orangetown, t., Rockland co., N. Y., 123 p. Albany. The surface
is hilly; soil, clay, blended with red shale. Hudson r. flows on
its e. border. Drained by Hackensack r. It contains the v. of
Piermont, where the New York and Erie railroad terminates, on
Hudson r. There are in the t. 30 stores, cap. $51,100; 4 lumber
yards, cap. $45,000; 1 cotton fac. 576 sp., 2 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 7 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,674 8
sch. 312 scholars. Pop. 2,771.
Orangeville, p-t., Genesee co., N. Y., 257 w. Albany, 369 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, clay loam, well adapted to grass.
Drained by Tonawanda cr. and its tributaries. It has 2 stores,
cap. $5,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,750. 16 sch. 659 scholars. Pop. 1,949.
Orangeville, p-v., Bloom t., Columbia co., Pa., 5 n. Bloomsburg,
81 n. by e. Harrisburg, 191 W. Situated on Fishing cr., and
contains 2 stores, and about 40 dwellings.
Orangeville, p-o., Trumbull co., O., 194 n. e. Columbus, 300 W.
Orbisonia, p-o., Huntingdon co., Pa., 81 w. Hamburg, 125 W.
Oregon, County, Mo.
Situated on the s. border of the state, and contains 1,600 sq.
ms. Drained principally by Eleven Points r.
Oregon, p-o., Stocton t., Chautauque co., N. Y, 333 w. by s.
Albany, 334 W.
Oregon, v., and capital of Holt co., Mo. Situated on the n. e.
side of the Missouri r.
Oregon City, p-v., Ogle co., Ill., 176 n. Springfield, 818 W.
Situated on the n. side of Rock r., on an elevated alluvial
bottom, 10 ms. above Grand Detour. It has 2 stores and 12 or 15
Orford, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 60 n. n. w. Concord, 505 W. It
lies on the e. side of Connecticut r. The extensive intervals on
Connecticut r. are very fertile. It has several ponds. Watered
by small streams which flow into Connecticut r., and by the head
waters of Baker's r., which flows into Merrimac r. It furnishes
extensively a good limestone, and especially a fine kind t
soapstone, which is wrought and exported. The v. is on an
extended street. A bridge across Connecticut r. connects the t.
with Fairlee, Vt. It has 4 stores, cap. $31,000; 2 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,350. 17 sch. 580 scholars. Pop. 1,707.
Orfordville, p-v., Orford t., Grafton co., N. H., 62 n. n. w.
Concord, 507 W.
Orient, p-t., Aroostook co., Me., 222 n. e. Augusta, 817 W. Pop.
Orient, p-v., Southold t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 252 s. s. e.
Albany, 332 W. Delightfully situated at the head of Oyster Pond
harbor, and contains 2 churches, several stores, and about 50
dwellings. This place was, until very recently, called "Oyster
Orion, p-t., Oakland co., Mich., 35 n. by w. Detroit, 558 W. It
contains several small lakes. Watered by Paint cr. It has 3
stores, cap. $6,500; 2 flouring m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
27,800. Pop. 769.
Oriskany Creek, N. Y., rises in Madison County, and enters the
Mohawk River at Oriskany village, Oneida co. It is a valuable
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!