Oriskany, NY to Otisco, NY
Oriskany, p-o., Whitestown t., Oneida co., N. Y., 99 n. w.
Albany, 397 W.
Oriskany Falls, p-v., Augusta t., Oneida co., N. Y. Situated on
both sides of Oriskany cr., which here has a fall of about 30
feet, affording extensive water power. It is on the line of the
Chenango canal, and contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 woolen fac, 2
grist m., 2 saw m., 1 distillery, 1 carding machine, 1 chair and
turning fac, 90 dwellings, and about 600 inhabitants.
Orland, p-t., Hancock co., Me., 61 e. by n. Augusta, 657 W.
Situated on the E. side of Penobscot r., opposite to Wetmore's
island. It contains several large ponds. The soil is fertile,
and it possesses great facilities for navigation. Incorporated
in 1800. It has 15 sch. 622 scholars. Pop. 1,381.
Orland, p-t., Steuben co., Ia., 190 n. n. e. Indianapolis, 562
Orleans, p-o., Fauquier co., Va., 114 n. by w. Richmond, 63 W.
Orleans, County, Vt. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 675 sq. ms. Lake Memphremagog lies
partly in its n. part. Drained by Barton, Black and Clyde
rivers, which flow into Lake Memphremagog and by the head
branches of Missisque and Onion rivers. The surface is level or
moderately uneven; soil, fertile and easily tilled. In its E.
part are many ponds. It lies between the e. and w. range of the
Green Mountains. Capital, Irasburg. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 18,299, sheep 46,669, swine 9,750; wheat 33,315 bush,
produced, rye 2,400, Ind. corn 20,886, buckwheat 20,067, barley
10.997, oats 133,301, potatoes 596,855, sugar 507,446 pounds :
32 stores, cap. $106,400; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 13 fulling m., 4
woolen fac, 11 tanneries, 1 distillery, 19 grist m., 53 saw m.,
1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $141,575. 2 acad. 111 students, 122
sch. 3,916 scholars. Pop. 13,634.
Orleans, County, N. Y. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 372 sq. ms. It is bounded n. by
Lake Ontario. The surface is level or gently undulating, with
the exception of the Mountain Ridge, which extends across it
from e. to w. The soil is loam or gravel, with an intermixture
of clay and sand, and is fertile. Drained by Oak Orchard,
Johnson's and other creeks, flowing into Lake Ontario. It
contains some sulphur and brine springs, and a small quantity of
bog iron ore. The Erie Canal passes centrally through it from E.
to w. Capital, Albion. There were in 1840, neat cattle 18,123,
sheep 69,563, swine 27,933; wheat 701,212 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 198,998, buckwheat 10,047, barley 30,723, oats 180,581,
potatoes 303,314, hops 1,533 pounds, sugar 150,786; 77 stores,
cap. $339,144; 5 furnaces, 12 fulling m., 4 woolen fac, 10
tanneries, 1 brewery, 5 flouring m., 15 grist m., 53 saw m., 4
printing offices, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac $398,940.
7 acad. 750 students, 163 sch. 8,2-17 scholars. Pop. 25,127.
Orleans, Parish, La. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 160 sq. ms. The surface is level and
marshy, and too low for profitable cultivation, excepting on the
margins of the streams. Sugar, cotton, rice and Indian corn,
together with an abundance of garden vegetables, and oranges,
figs, and peaches, are its chief productions. Capital, N.
Orleans. There were in 1840. neat cattle 2,639, sheep 1,807,
swine 1,824; Ind. corn 3,100 bush, produced, cotton 10,000
pounds, sugar 10,000; 8 commercial and 375 commission houses,
cap. $16,490,000; 1,881 stores, cap. $11,018,225; 32
lumberyards, cap. $67,800; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 3 saw m.,
18 printing offices, 9 daily, 6 weekly and 2 semi-weekly
newspapers. Capital in manufactures, $1,774,200. 2 colleges 165
students, 10 acad. 440 students, 25 sch. 975 scholars. Pop.
whites 59,519, slaves 23,450, free col'd 19,226; total 102,193.
Orleans, p-t., Barnstable co., Mass., 95 s. e. Boston, 496 W. It
extends across the narrow part of Cape Cod. The surface is
moderately uneven; soil, generally sandy and barren. Pleasant
bay sets up from the ocean on the e. side of the cape, and
contains several islands belonging to this t. It contains 4
churches, Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1
Universalist. The inhabitants are extensively employed in the
fisheries, and the manufacture of salt. It has 10 stores, cap.
$16,400; 4 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $5,800. 10 sch. 765
scholars. Pop. 1,974.
Orleans, t.., Jefferson co., N. Y., 12 n. Watertown, 172 n. n.
w. Albany. The surface is gently undulating; soil, a fertile
clay and loam, under-laid by limestone. Drained by Chaumont and
Perch rivers. It has 5 stores, cap. $13,100: 2 grist m., 3 saw
m. Cap. in manufac $3,100. 11 sch. 271 scholars. Pop. 3,001.
Orleans, p-v., Phelps t., Ontario co., N. Y., 190 w. Albany, 355
W. Situated on Flint cr., and contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1
flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 plaster m., 1 distillery, 1 tannery, 1
clothier's works, 40 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Orleans, p-o., Alleghany co., Md.
Orleans, p-o., Greenville dist., S. C.
Orleans, p-v., Orange co., Ia., 86 s. by w. Indianapolis, 625 W.
It contains 3 stores, 1carding machine, 2 tanneries, 40
dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Orne's Store, p-o., Bledsoe co., Tenn., 125 e. s. e. Nashville,
Orono, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 75 n. e. Augusta, 670 W.
Situated on the w. side of Penobscot r., opposite to the great
falls. The soil is fertile, adapted to wheat. Watered by Pushaw
r., which issues from Pushaw pond, a large body of water in its
w. part. Marsh island m Penobscot r., containing 5,000 acres,
belongs in part to this t. It possesses great water power, and
has numerous saw m. Incorporated in 1806 A railroad, 12 ms.
long, extends from Bangor to the village of Stillwater in this
t., and to Oldtown v. in Oldtown t,., which cost $350,000. It
has 6 stores, cap. $6,500; 2 lumber yards, cap. $1,600; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 36 saw m. Cap. manufac. $10,780. 4 sch. 350
scholars. Pop. 1,521.
Oronoko, t., Berrien co., Mich. It has 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $4,100. Pop. 335.
Orrington, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 70 n. e. Augusta, 666 W.
Penobscot r. bounds it on the w. The soil is fertile, adapted to
wheat. The v. is pleasantly situated on Penobscot r., which
affords facilities for navigation. A small stream flows across
it into the Penobscot, Bill affords water power. It has 2
stores, cap $5,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 6
saw m. Cap in manufac $32,700. 10 sch. 64. scholars. Pop. 1,580.
Orrstown, p-o., Franklin co., Pa., 39 w. s w. Harrisburg, 106 W.
Orrsville, p-v., Pine t., Armstrong co., Pa. 192 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 246 W.
Orrsville, p-o., Mecklenburg co., N. C,. 170 w. s. w. Raleigh,
Orrville, p-o., Gwinnett co., Ga., 101 n. w. Milledgeville, 649
Orwell, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 79 s. w. Montpelier, 463 W. It
is bounded w. by Lake Champlain, and lies opposite to
Ticonderoga, N. Y., and contains Mount Independence, both
celebrated in the revolutionary war. The width of the lake
between them, is about 80 rods. At Sholes landing, 1 m. s., it
is only 40 rods wide, though its general width opposite the t.
is 1 m. Drained by East cr. and Lenonfair r., which afford water
power. The surface in a portion of the s. part is broken and
hilly, but generally level, and very fertile. It is one of the
best farming towns in the state. Chartered in 1763, but not
settled until 1783. It contains 1 Congregational, and 1 Baptist
church. It has 3 stores, 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,400. 10 sell. 473 scholars. Pop.
Orwell, p-t., Oswego co., N. Y., 148 w. n. w. Albany, 333 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by Salmon r. and
its tributaries. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,400; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,850. 9 sch.
205 scholars. Pop. 808.
Orwell, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 146 n. Harrisburg, 256 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Watered by Wysox cr. and
its tributaries. It has 1 store, cap. $7,000; 1 woolen fee, 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,880. 8 sch.
325 scholars. Pop. 1,037.
Orwell, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 185 n. e. Columbus, 325 W.
Organized in 1826. It has 4 sch. 112 scholars. Pop. 459.
Orwigsburg, p-b., capital of Schuylkill co., Pa., 62 n. E.
Harrisburg, 172 W. Situated near a small cr. which flows into
the Schuylkill r. It stands on a rising ground, in a valley
surrounded by lofty hills, capable of cultivation to the top. It
contains a court house and public offices if brick, a jail, an
academy, and a Lutheran church. Incorporated in 1813. It has 7
stores, ap. $26,000; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,500. 2 acad. 87
students, 2 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 779
Osage, r., Mo., rises in the Indian territory, and flows into
the state of Mo., and after a winding course, falls into the
Missouri r., 133 ms. above the Mississippi. It is 397 yards wide
at ts mouth, and navigable for steamboats 200 ms. t has much
fertile land on its borders.
Osage, County, Mo. Situated a little s. e. of the centre of the
state, and contains 860 sq. ms. Drained by Gasconade r., flowing
into the Missouri r., which bounds it on the n. Osage r. bounds
it on the n. w. Capital, Alexander.
Osage, p-v., capital of Benton co., Ark.. 200 n, w. by w. Little
Rock, 1,161 W. Situated on the n. side of the Arkansas r. It
contains a court house, and several stores and 25 dwellings.
Osage, p-o., Crawford co., Mo., 87 s. e. Jefferson City, 911 W.
Osage, t., Carroll co., Ark. It has 4 stores, cap. $9,400; 2
grist m., 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 660
Osborn's Bridge, p-o., Northampton t., Fulton co , N. Y., 58 n.
w. Albany, 421 W.
Osborn's Ford, p-o., Scott co., Va., 350 w. by Richmond, 410 W.
Osborn's Hollow, p-o., Chenango t., Broome N. Y., 130 w. s. w.
Albany, 306 W.
Osceola, p-v., capital of St. Clair co., Mo., 132 w. Jefferson
City, 1,068 W. Situated on the s. side of Osage r. It contains a
court house and a few dwellings.
Oscoda, County, Mich. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 576 square miles. Drained by Au
Sable r. (It is unorganized.)
Osh Kosh, p-o., Fond du Lac co., Wis., 118 n. e. Madison, 965 W.
Osnaburgh, p-t., Stark co., O., 129 n. e. Columbus, 308 W. The
surface is rolling and hilly, with a growth of oak timber. The
v. contains 1 church, 3 stores, 2 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 70
dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. Pop. 2,333.
Ossabaw Island and Sound, Bryan co., Ga. Situated at the mouth
of Ogechee r. The island is low and sandy, and 10 ms. long; and
the sound is an inlet between this island and Warren Island,
constituting a broad estuary.
Ossian, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 244 w. by s. Albany, 334 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile argillaceous loam.
Drained by Canaseraga cr. and its branches. The v. contains 1
church, 2 stores, 1 saw m., 1 tannery, 30 dwellings, and about
250 inhabitants. There are in the t. 1 fulling m., 11 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $5,000; 8 sch. 311 scholars. Pop. 938.
Ossipee, lake and river, Strafford co., N. H., covers about
7,000 acres, in an oval form, and without islands. Its waters
are pure, and are discharged through Ossipee r., passing through
several ponds into Saco r., Me.
Ossipee, mountains, Strafford co., N. H., extend about 8 ms.
toward the e., a little n. of the north part of Winnipiseogee
lake, and reaching within 4 ms. of Ossipee lake.
Ossipee, p-t., capital of Carroll co., N. H., 52 N. n. E.
Concord, 533 W. Ossipee lake lies partly in its n. e., and
Ossipee mountain in its n. w. part. Bear Camp r. passes through
it into Ossipee Lake. It has several ponds. Incorporated in
1785. The v. is situated on the w. side of Ossipee lake, and
contains a court house and several dwellings. There are in the
t. 7 stores, cap. $11,500; 3 tanneries, 5 grist m., 10 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $18,360. 22 sch. 876 scholars. Pop. 2,170.
Osterville, p-v., Barnstable t. and co., Mass., 72 s. s. e.
Boston, 477 W. Situated on the e. side of Oyster Bay, and
contains a Baptist and Congregational church, and several
Oswegatchie, r., N. Y., rises in Herkimer co., and, flowing into
St. Lawrence co., pursues a circuitous course, in a n. w.
direction, until it enters the St. Lawrence, at Ogdensburg. It
is about 120 ms. long.
Oswegatchie, t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 16 w. Canton, 200 n.
n. w. Albany. The surface is undulating; soil, clay loam,
generally well cultivated. Black lake lies partly in this t.,
and discharges its waters into Oswegatchie r. The St. Lawrence
r. bounds it on the n. w. It contains the v. of Ogdensburg. It
has 2 commission houses, cap. $3,000; 57 stores, cap. $202,500;
1 lumber yard, 3 furnaces, 3 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 2 printing
offices, 1 bindery, 2 weekly news-papers, 2 grist m., 7 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $473,400. 19 sch. 662 scholars. Pop. 3,193.
Oswegatchie, p-o., Lewis co., N. Y., 163 n. w. Albany, 462 W.
Oswego, r., N. Y., is formed by the junction of Seneca and
Oneida rivers. Seneca r. forms a common outlet of Seneca,
Cayuga, Crooked, Canandaigua, Owasco, Skeneateles, and Cross
lakes. Oneida r. forms the outlet of Oneida Lake. After the
junction, Oswego r. pursues a n. W. course, 24 ms., until it
enters Lake Ontario, at Oswego v. The r., for some distance,
forms the Oswego canal, the falls being overcome by a succession
of locks. It affords extensive water power. At its mouth is the
commodious harbor of Oswego, which has been much improved by
artificial structures. It has falls near its mouth, which
prevent its being navigated at all by vessels from the lake.
Oswego, County, N. Y. Situated in the n. part
of the state, on Lake Ontario, and contains 923 sq. ms. Drained
by Oswego r., Salmon r., and numerous small streams, flowing
into Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the n. w. Oneida lake lies
on its s. E. border. The Oswego canal passes down the E. bank of
Oswego r. Surface, level, or gently undulating; the soil is well
adapted to grain and to grazing. Capitals, Oswego and Pulaski.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 35,369, sheep 63,842, swine
39,233; wheat 138,602 bush, produced, rye 1,676, Indian corn
189,327, buckwheat 41,618, barley 11,061, oats 215,177, potatoes
599,137, sugar 264,980 pounds; 7 commercial and commission
houses, cap. $246,000; 107 stores, cap. 8366,225; 3 lumber
yards, cap. $11,000; 6 furnaces, 16 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 25
tanneries, 10 flouring m., 29 grist m., 135 saw m., 2 oil m., 1
paper fac, 5 printing offices, 5 weekly newspapers. Capital in
manufactures $895,066. 5 acad. 468 students, 325 sch. 12,193
scholars. Pop. 43,619.
Oswego, p-v., port of entry, and semi-capital of Oswego co., N.
Y. It lies on both sides of Oswego r., at its entrance into Lake
Ontario, in the towns of Oswego and Scriba, 160 w. n. w. Albany,
373 W. Incorporated in 1828. It is regularly and handsomely laid
out with streets 100 feet wide, crossing each other at right
angles. The two parts of the village are connected by a bridge,
700 feet long, which cost $6,000. It has a court house, a custom
house, 2 banks, with an aggregate capital of $400,000, an
insurance company, an incorporated academy, and a flourishing
female seminary, 5 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, besides a Bethel
congregation. It has great facilities for commerce. The Oswego
canal, 38 miles, connects it with the Erie Canal at Syracuse. A
part of the way the Oswego River constitutes the canal, and has
a tow-path on its bank. Next to Sacketts Harbor, Oswego has the
best harbor on the s. side of Lake Ontario. The harbor is formed
by a pier, or mole, built by the U. S., of wood, filled in with
stones, and having stones on the outside, on the lake side. This
pier is 1,219 feet in length, with an entrance 250 feet wide. On
the end of the w. pier is a light-house, and there is another on
the hill, on the e. side of the r., near the fort. The water
within the pier has a depth of from 10 to 20 feet, and the
harbor is spacious and safe. There are owned at this place 6
steamboats and 70 schooners, averaging 100 tons burden, and a
large number of canal-boats. The canal-boats are generally built
in a very substantial manner, with decks, capable of being towed
through the lake. A considerable portion of the trade between
New York and the west passes through Oswego and the Welland
canal, in Canada, around the Falls of Niagara. The salt from
Salina, destined to the west, mostly passes this way. The
tonnage of Oswego, in 1840, was 8,346. Oswego possesses great
manufacturing facilities. A feeder dam, 7½ feet high, three
fourths of a mile above the village, furnishes an abundance of
surplus water, which is taken from the canal, with a fall of 19
feet, on the e. side of the r. A canal has also been constructed
on the w. side, 62 feet wide and 7 feet deep, at a cost of
$75,000, which has a fall at the village of 19 feet. Various
manufacturing establishments now exist, and many more might be
accommodated. The t. of Oswego had in 1840, mostly in the v. of
Oswego, 3 commercial and 4 commission houses in for trade, cap.
$246,000; 32 retail stores, cap. $92,150; 2 lumber yards, cap.
$4,000; 2 tanneries, 5 flouring m., 2 grist m., 6 saw m., 3
printing offices, and 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$323,135. 17 sch. 1,039 scholars. Pop. 4,665; of the v. of
Oswego, 4,500. As a considerable portion of the v. of Oswego
lies in the township of Scriba, part of the following statistics
of that t. belong to the v. of Oswego. 2 stores, cap. $5,500; 1
lumber yard, cap. $7,000; 1 tannery, 4 flouring m., 3 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $172,816. 17 sch. 1,047 scholars. Pop.
4,051. Daily lines of steamboats, for the conveyance of
passengers, run between Oswego and Lewiston, Kingston, Canada,
Sacketts Harbor, and Ogdensburgh, stopping at the intermediate
places. On the e. side of the r., near the lake, a tract of land
has been ceded to the United States, on which is situated Fort
Oswego, for the defense of the harbor, which occupies the site
of an old fort of the same name, celebrated in the colonial
wars, and which was given up by the British treaty of 1794. The
town, with the fort, fell into the hands of the British during
the late war; but they were expelled from it, 12 hours
afterward, with loss.
The surface of Oswego t. is mostly level; soil, sandy loam, of
medium quality. Watered by Oswego r. Drained by several small
streams flowing into Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the n.
Oswego, t, Potter co., Pa. It has 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$380. Pop. 101.
Oswego, p-v., Kosciusko co., Ia., 133 n. Indianapolis, 603 W.
Oswego, p-v., Kane co., Ill., 171 n. n. e Springfield, 760 W.
Otego, cr., N. Y., rises in Burlington, Otsego co., and empties
into the e. branch of Susquehanna r. It affords good water
Otego, p-t., Otsego co., N. Y., 22 s. w. Cooperstown, 86 w.
Albany, 340 W. The surface if partly hilly, with extensive flats
along the Susquehanna r.; soil, clay and sandy loam. Drainer by
Otsdawa cr. and Susquehanna r. The v. contains 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal and 1 Baptist, 7 stores, 1 tannery, 50
dwellings and about 300 inhabitants. There are in the t. 5
stores, cap. $20,500; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2grist m., 8 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $13,500. 15 sch. 571 scholars. Pop. 1,919.
Otis, t., Hancock co., Me. It contains severe large ponds, the
outlets of which flow into Blue hill bay, and one which
discharges its waters into Penobscot r. It has 1 grist m., 2 saw
m., 4 sch. 48 scholars. Pop. 83.
Otis, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 15 s. e. Lenox 119 w. Boston,
368 W. The surface is uneven and broken, and difficult of
tillage; the soil well adapted to grazing. Drained by head
branches of Farmington and Westfield rivers, has 3 stores, cap.
$5,100; 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $29,912. 1 acad. 20 students, 10 sch. 305 scholars.
Otisco, lake, N. Y., lies in the w. part of Onondaga co., is 5
miles long and 2 wide and discharges its waters by Nine Mile cr.
into Onondaga Lake. The cr. affords water power.
Otisco, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 15 s. Syracuse, 133 w. by n.
Albany, 335 W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam, and
generally well cultivated. Otisco lake lies on its w. border.
Drained by Nine Mile cr., the outlet of the lake. The v.
contains 1 church, 2 stores, 20 dwellings, and about 100
inhabitants. It has 2 stores, capital $6,000; 2 tanneries, 1
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,900. 16 sch. 782
scholars. Pop. 1,906.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!