Perry, OH to Philadelphia, NY
Perry, t., Monroe co., O. It has 2 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 982.
Perry, t, Muskingum co., O. It contains 1,061 inhabitants.
Perry, t., Pickaway co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $7,800; 1
fulling m., 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 1,277.
Perry, t., Putnam co., O. It contains 266 inhabitants.
Perry, t., Richland co., O. It contains 1,853 inhabitants.
Perry, t., Stark co., O. It has 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 2,209.
Perry, t., Tuscarawas co., O. It has 4 stores, cap. $5,200; 6
sch. 558 scholars. Pop. 1,381.
Perry, t., Wood co., O. It has 5 sch. 127 scholars. Pop. 550.
Perry, t., Marion co., Ia. It has 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 9 sch. 281 scholars. Pop. 1,510.
Perry, t., Miami co., Ia. It has 2 tanneries, 3 sch. 50
scholars. Pop. 593.
Perry, t., Tippecanoe co., Ia. It contains 807 inhabitants.
Perry, t., Wayne co., Ia. It contains 1,744 inhabitants.
Perry, t, Johnson co., Ark. It has 1 store, cap. $4,500; 1
tannery, 2 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 510.
Perry, p-t., Allen co., Ia., 143 n. e. Indianapolis, 566 W. It
has 3 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 293.
Perry, t., Clay co., Ia. It has 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,785. 2 sch. 58 scholars. Pop. 483.
Perry, p-v., Pike co., Ill., 66 w. Springfield, 846 W. It is a
pleasant v., containing 2 stores, and a number of dwellings. It
is surrounded by a fine country, diversified with timber and
prairie. There are in the precinct, 2 stores, cap. $2,800; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,880. 10 sch.
627 scholars. Pop. 1,339.
Perry, p-v., capital of Houston co., Ga., 59 s. w.
Milledgeville, 715 W. Situated on the n. bank of Indian cr.,
about midway between Flint and Ocmulgee rivers. It contains a
court house, jail, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, 8 stores,
and about 40 dwellings.
Perry Centre, p-v., Perry t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 245 w. Albany,
Perry, C. II., Ala. (See Marion.)
Perry, C. H., p-v., capital of Perry co., Ky., 151 s. e. by e.
Frankfort. Situated on the e. side of Kentucky r. It contains a
court house and several dwellings.
Perrymansville, p-v., Harford co., Md.
Perryopolis, p-v., Washington t., Fayette co., Pa., 192 w. by s.
Harrisburg, 217 W. Situated on the Youghiogeny r. It contains 1
church, 3 stores, 1 glass fac, and about 80 dwellings.
Perryopolis, p-v., Monroe co., O., 106 e. Columbus, 303 W.
Perry's Bridge, p-v., La Fayette par., La., 218 w. New Orleans.
Situated on w. side of Vermilion r., 25 ms. above its entrance
into Vermilion bay.
Perrysburg, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 306 w. by s. Albany,
358 W. The surface is broken; soil, gravelly and clay loam.
Drained by small streams running into Cattaraugus cr., which
bounds it on the n. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,900; 1 tannery, 1
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,350. 9 sch. 400
scholars. Pop. 1,660.
Perrysburg, p-v., capital of Wood co., O., 123 N. n. w.
Columbus, 454 W. Situated at the head of steamboat navigation on
Maumee r., 18 miles from the light-house on the lake shore. It
contains a court house, jail, 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Methodist, and 1 Universalist, 20 stores, of different kinds,
numerous mechanic shops, 2 steam saw m., 1 tannery, 1 printing
office, and about 350 dwellings. It has 1,000 feet of wharf 3
large warehouses, and a shipyard. It is situated on the s. e.
bank of the r., 60 feet above its surface, on a rising ground,
which commands a fine prospect. It was laid out in 1817, and
enlarged in 1835. There are in the t. 1 store, Cap, $1,000; 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,500 Pop. 1,065.
Perrysburg, p-v., Miami co., Ia., 101 n. Indianapolis, 610 W.
Perry's Cross Roads, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C, 52 w.
Columbia, 516 W.
Perry's Mills, p-v., Champlain t., Clinton co., N. Y., 193 n.
Albany, 568 W. Situated on Chazy r., 1 mile s. of the Canada
line. It contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 cloth
dressing and carding machine, 20 dwellings, and about 100
Perry's Mills, p-o., Tatnall co., Ga., 144 s. e. Milledgeville,
Perrysville, p-v., S. Kingston t., Washington co., R. I., 41 s.
Providence, 339 W. It contains a church and several dwellings.
Perrysville, p-v., Fenner t., Madison co., N. Y., 115 w. by n.
Albany, 358 W. It contains 1 church, 1 store, 1 flouring m., 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Perrysville, p-v., Bethlehem t., Huntingdon co., N. J., 10 jnt.
Flemington, 36 n. w. Trenton, 196 W. Situated at the s. e. foot
of Musconetcong Mountain.
Perrysville, p-v., Ross t., Alleghany co., Pa., 8 n. Pittsburg,
208 w. Harrisburg, 234 W. It contains 1 store and 10 or 12
Perrysville, p-v., Cecil co., Md., 65 N E Annapolis, 75 W.
Perrysville, p-v., Perry co., Ala.
Perrysville, p-v., capital of Perry co., Tenn. 95 w. s. w.
Nashville, 779 W. Situated on tin w. side of Tennessee r. It
contains a courthouse and several stores and dwellings.
Perrysville, p-v., Boyle co., Ky., 41 Frankfort, 563 W. It
contains about 500 in habitants.
Perrysville, p-v., Green t., Richland co., O 78 n. n. e.
Columbus, 368 W. Situated on the Black Fork of Mohiccan cr., and
contains 2 store and several mechanic shops.
Perrysville, p-t., Vermilion co., In., 81 w Indianapolis, 652 W.
Situated on the w. side o the Wabash r. It has 8 stores, cap.
$55,300; distillery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1
flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,400. 1 sch. 60
scholars. Pop. 420.
Perrysville, p-v., capital of Perry co., Mo 214 E. s. E.
Jefferson City, 868 W. Situated o Saline cr., 10 miles w. of the
Mississippi r. It contains a court house, jail, and about 100
Perrysville, p-v., capital of Perry co., Ark 55 w. n. w. Little
Rock, 1,110 W. Situated o the n. side of La Feve r., a branch of
Arkansas. It contains a courthouse and a few dwellings.
Perryton, p-v., Perry t., Licking co , O., 6 N. E. Columbus, 358
W. Situated in Elizabeth town v., which contains 1 church, 1
store, an about 15 dwellings.
Persia, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 302 w. Albany, 354 W. The
surface is undulating; soil a fertile clay and gravelly loam.
Drained by tributaries of Cattaraugus cr., which bounds it on
the n. It has 6 stores, cap. $43,200; 1 woolen fac, 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $17,400. 4 sch. 309 scholars. Pop. 892.
Persia, t., Boone co., Mo. It has 4 sch. 82 scholars. Pop.
Person, County, N. C. Situated in the n. part
of the state, and contains 440 sq. ms. Drained by branches of
Dan r., and by head branches of Neuse r. Capital, Roxboro'.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,971, sheep 3,027, swine 7,852;
wheat 18,712 bushels produced, Ind. 12,038, oats 36,610,
potatoes 4,994, tobacco 1,030,303 lbs., cotton 107,200; 5
stores, cap. $12,400; 5 flouring m., 15 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $23,050. 1 acad. 20 students, 7 sch. 152 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 10,027; 1840, whites 5,229, slaves 4,351, free col'd
110; total, 9,790.
Perth, p-t., Fulton co., N. Y., 46 n. w. Albany, 419 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, clay loam. Drained by Chuctenunda cr.
It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. n manufac.
$1,500. 3 sch. 132 scholars. Pop. T37.
Perth Amboy, city, p-v., and port of entry, Middlesex co., N.
J., 46 n. e. Trenton, 212 W. Situated at the head of Raritan
bay, at the confluence of Raritan r. with Arthur kill, or Staten
Island sound. The harbor is spacious and safe, ease of access,
with 12 feet of water in the estuary, and from 24 to 26 in the
main channel. It was laid out in 1698, and an effort was early
made to constitute it the capital of the province, ts present
city charter was given in 1784. It contains 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal and 1 Baptist, 1 pottery; 9 stores,
cap. $38,500; 2 sch. 98 scholars. Pop. 1,303. The collection
district includes all the e. part of New Jersey s. of
Elizabethtown, excepting the district of Little Egg Harbor.
Tonnage 1840, 17,843. It is a pleasant place of summer resort
from New York.
Peru, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 40 w. by n. Augusta, 612 W.
Androscoggin r. runs on its n. boundary, by tributaries of
which, issuing from ponds, it is watered. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grain. Incorporated in 1821. It has 1 store, 2 grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,800. 8 sch. 209 scholars. Pop.
Peru, p-t., Bennington co., Vt., 100 s. s. w. Montpelier, 439 W.
The surface is mountainous, lying on the Green mountain range.
It has 2 ponds, one of 60 and one of 40 acres. Watered by head
branches of West r. It has a Congregational Church, and some
Episcopalians, Methodists, and Baptists. Incorporated in 1761.
First settled in 1773. It has 1 store, 2 flouring m., 5 grist
m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,910. 6 sch. 260 scholars. Pop.
Peru, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 118 w. Boston, 388 W. The
surface is mountainous, being on the Green mountain range; soil,
hard and stony, adapted to grazing. It contains a Congregational
church. It has 1 woolen fac, 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $51,800.
5 sch. 162 scholars. Pop. 576
Peru, p-t., Clinton co., N. Y., 10 s. Plattsburg, 153 n. Albany,
528 W. The surface is level or undulating on the e. and hilly on
the w. The soil is fertile sandy and clay loam. Watered by
Little Au Sable r. flowing into Lake Champlain, by which it is
bounded on the e., on which is a convenient landing, and where
are a few dwellings, Tie principal v. is on both sides of Little
Au Sable 4 miles w. of the lake, and contains 1 Presbyterian and
1 Methodist church, 6 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 1 saw
m., 1 tannery, 125 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. There
are the t. 9 stores, cap. $31,000; 1 woolen fac., 2 tanneries, 1
grist m., 19 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $38,230. 13 sch. 305
scholars. Population 3,134.
Peru, p-t., Huron co., O., 93 n. Columbus, 398 W. The v. is
situated on the e. branch of Huron r. It contains 1 church, 2
flouring m., 2 saw m., 1 distillery, 40 or 50 dwellings, and
about 300 inhabitants. It is surrounded by a highly cultivated
country. There are in the t. 14 sch. 554 scholars. Pop. 2,000.
Peru, t., Delaware co., O., 36 n. Columbus. It has 6 sch. 122
scholars. Pop. 737.
Peru, p-v., capital of Miami county, Ia., 90 n. Indianapolis,
592 W. Situated on the n. bank of Wabash r. The Wabash and Erie
Canal passes through it. It contains a court house and several
stores and dwellings. There are in the t. 9 stores, cap.
$86,300; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly and 1
semi-weekly newspapers. 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,800. 4 sch. 112 scholars. Pop. 961.
Peru, p-v., Dubuque co., Iowa, 5 n. Dubuque. Situated on the s.
side of Little Makoqueta r., a little above its entrance into
Peruville, p-v., Groton t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 165 w. by s.
Albany, 309 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian Church, 2 stores, 1
grist m., 2 saw m., 1 tannery, 30 dwellings, and about 200
Petawla, p-o., Randolph co., Ga.
Peters, t., Franklin co., Pa., 12 s. w. Chambersburg. The
surface is level; soil, calcareous loam. Drained by the w.
branch of Conecocheague cr. It has some iron works, a noted
sulphur spring, and a curious cave. There are 3 stores, cap.
$8,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 3 forges, 4
tanneries, 3 flouring m., 1 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $23,750. 13 sch. 385 scholars. Pop. 1,939.
Peters, t., Washington co., Pa., 11 n. e. Washington b. The
surface is hilly; soil, loam. Drained by Chartier's and Peters'
creeks. It contains Findlaysville v. It has 4 stores, cap.
$9,000; 3 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 4 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $16,900. 2 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 1,024.
Petersborough, p-t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 41 s. w. Concord,
447 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile, and excellent on
the streams. Drained by Contoocook r. and its branches, which
afford good water power. Chartered in 1738. It has 6 stores,
cap. $21,800; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 5 cotton fac. 6,044
sp., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 6 grist m., 7 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $309,225. 1 acad. 90 students, 13 sch. 671
scholars. Pop. 2,163.
Petersborough, p-v., Smithfield t., Madison co., N. Y., 108 w.
by n. Albany, 361 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist
church, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 60
dwellings, and about 350 inhabitants.
Petersborough, p-v., Tioga co., Pa., 151 n. Harrisburg, 265 W.
Petersburg, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 26 e. Albany, 392 W.
The surface is hilly and mountainous, with a fertile valley
extending through it; the soil, loam on slate and limestone.
Watered by Little Hoosick cr. It has 5 stores, cap. $10,200; 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$13,000. 13 sch. 627 scholars. Pop. 1,901.
Petersburg, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., Ill n. e. Harrisburg, 217 W.
Petersburg, t, Huntingdon co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap.
$10,500; 2 commission houses, cap. $4,000. Pop. 196.
Petersburg, p-b., port of entry, Dinwiddie co., Va., on the s.
bank of Appomattox r., 12 ms. above its entrance into James r.,
at City Point, in 37° 13' 54" n. lat. and 77° 20' w. Ion., 23 s.
by e. Richmond, 140 W. Pop. 1830, 8,322; 1840, 11,136. The river
is navigable to this place for vessels of 100 tons, and the
falls immediately above it afford an extensive water power. A
canal is cut round these falls for the purpose of navigation.
The borough contains, besides Petersburg, the village of
Blandford, in Prince George co., and of Pocahontas, in
Chesterfield co. It has a court house, jail, Masonic hall, 2
banks, and an insurance office. It has 7 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, and 2
African. The great southern chain of railroads passes through
it, and adds to its importance. It is one of the handsomest and
most commercial towns in the state, and exports largely tobacco
and flour. The tonnage in 1840, was 3,098. There were 6
commercial and 8 commission houses engaged in for. trade, cap.
$875,000; 121 retail stores, cap. $1,020,250; 2 lumber yards,
cap. $6,000; 1 furnace, 6 forges, 1 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac.
7,520 sp., 1 pottery, 2 ropewalks, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 2
saw m., 2 printing offices, 1 semi-weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $726,555. 8 acad. 386 students, 7 sch. 125 scholars. In
July, 1815, a disastrous fire destroyed 400 buildings, and
property estimated at $2,000,000. It has been rebuilt in an
improved form, with three story brick buildings.
Petersburg, p-v., Elbert co., Ga., 96 n. e. Milledgeville, 552
W. Situated at the confluence of Savannah and Broad rivers. It
is a considerable v., but less flourishing than formerly.
Petersburg, p-v., Lincoln co., Tenn., 72 s. Nashville, 718 W.
Petersburg, p-v., Boone co., Ky., 91 n. Frankfort, 516 W.
Petersburg, p-v., Springfield t., Columbiana co., O., 181 e. n.
e. Columbus, 275 W. It contains 187 inhabitants.
Petersburg, p-v., capital of Pike co., Ia., 138 s. w.
Indianapolis, 677 W. Situated a little s. of White r. It
contains a court house, several stores and dwellings.
Petersburg, p-v., capital of Menard co., HI., 21 n. w.
Springfield, 801 W. Situated on the w. side of Sangamon r., and
contains a court house, 6 stores, 1 steam saw m. and grist m.,
and about 25 dwellings.
Petersburg, p-v., Boone co., Mo., 54 n, Jefferson City, 943 W.
Petersburg Four Corners, p-o., Petersburg t., Rensselaer co., N.
Y., 31 e. Albany, 397 W.
Peters Creek, p-o., Bladen co., N. C.
Peters Creek, p-o., Barren co., Ky., 143 s. w. Frankfort, 661 W.
Petersham, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 64 w. by n. Boston, 462
W. The surface is elevated and moderately uneven; soil, fertile.
Watered by Swift r., which affords water power. Incorporated in
1754. It contains 3 churches, 2 Congregational and 1 Baptist.
The v. occupies a commanding situation, and lies on a street 3
ms. long. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $25,000; 2
tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $58,850; 13
sch. 328 scholars. Population, 1,775.
Peterstown, p-v., Monroe co., Va., 247 w. Richmond, 293 W.
Situated on Rich cr., 2 ms. above its entrance into New r. The
cr. here affords water power, and has some mills and
manufactories located on it.
Petersville, p-v., Northampton co., Pa., 105 e. n. e.
Harrisburg, 198 W.
Petersville, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 89 n. w. Annapolis, 57 W.
Petra, p-o., Saline co., Mo.
Pettis, County, Mo. Situated toward the w. part
of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Drained by La Mine r. and
its branches. It has extensive prairies, with timber on the
streams; soil, very fertile. Capital, Georgetown. There were in
1840, neat cattle 4,321, sheep 2.551, swine 12,068; wheat 6,579
bush, produced, Ind. corn 162,145, oats 38,640, potatoes 6,390,
tobacco 11,475 pounds; 5 stores, cap. $32,300; 5 distilleries, 5
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,300. Pop. whites 2,377,
slaves 552, free col'd 1; total, 2,930.
Petit Jean, t., Conway co., Ark. Pop. 351.
Petit Gulf, Mississippi r. (See Rodney.)
Petit Menan, island, Washington co., Me., lies in the Atlantic
Ocean, off a point of the same name, in Steuben t.
Pewaukee, t., Milwaukee co., Wis. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $3,200. 2 sch. 61 scholars. Pop. 222.
Peyton Creek, p-o., Clay co., Ia., 54 w. s. w. Indianapolis, 625
Peytonsburg, p-v., Pittsylvania co., Va., 145 w. s. w. Richmond,
Peytonsville, p-v., Williamson co., Tenn., 27 s. Nashville, 693
Pharisburg, p-v., Union co., O., 49 n. w. Columbus, 439 W.
Pharsalia, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y., 127 w Albany, 336 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, argillaceous loam. Drained by
Geneganslette cr. and Ostelic r. It has 3 stores, cap. $9,350; k
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 11 sch. 45: scholars. Pop.
Pharsalia, p-v., Panola co., Miss.
Phelps, p-t., Ontario co., N. Y., 15 e. Canandaigua, 185 w.
Albany, 350 W. The surface is undulating; soil, clay loam, and
fertile. Drained by Canandaigua outlet and Flint cr., which then
joins it. Gypsum abounds in this vicinity. It has 18 stores,
cap. $76,200; 3 fulling m., 1 tannery, 5 distilleries, 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 8 flouring m., 4 grist m.,
11 saw m Cap. in manufac. $231,350. 2 acad. 90 student, 30 sch.
1,416 scholars. Pop. 5,563.
Phelps, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 190 n. e. Columbus, 324 W. It
is a flourishing agricultural t. Drained by Rock and Musketoe
creek which afford water power.
Phelpstown, p-t., Ingham co., Mich., 71 w. Detroit, 574 W. Pop.
Philadelphia, p-t., Jefferson co., N. Y , 16 n. e. Watertown,
172 n. w. Albany, 432 W. The surface is rolling; soil, clay and
sand; loan Drained by Indian r. and its tributaries. The v. is
situated on Indian r., and contains 1 Friends church, 1 store, 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 20 dwelling and about 125 inhabitants. There
are in the 4 stores, cap. $14,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 6 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $17,000. 18 sch. 71 scholars. Pop. 1,838.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!