Philadelphia, MS to Piketon, IN
Philadelphia, p-v., capital of Neshoba co., Miss., 83 e. n. e.
Jackson, 931 W. Situated on the k. side of Kentucky cr., a
branch of Pearl r. It contains a court house and several
Philadelphia, p-v., Monroe co., Tenn., 160 E. s. e. Nashville,
Philadelphia, p-v., Hancock co., Ia., 15 e. Indianapolis, 556 W.
Philadelphia, p-v., Van Buren co., Iowa. Situated on Des Moines
River, at the mouth of Lack cr.
Philadelphia, p-v., Robeson co., N. C, 106 s. by w. Raleigh, 394
Philanthropy, p-o., Reiley t., Butler co., O., 120 w. s. w.
Columbus, 508 W.
Philips, County, Ark. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 730 sq. ms. Mississippi r, bounds it
on the e. Watered by St. Francis r., and Lanquille r. its
tributary. The surface of the southern part is extensively
liable to submersion. The N. part is a dry, sandy soil, very
fertile where it is capable of cultivation. Capital, Helena.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,634, sheep, 557 swine 11,415;
wheat 151 bush, produced, Ind. corn 160,675, oats 3,850,
potatoes 15,256, tobacco 1,455 pounds, cotton 146,409; 10
stores, rap. $77,000; 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 22 grist p.,
5 saw m., 2 printing offices. 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $52,335. 5 sch. 109 scholars. Pop. whites 5,262, slaves
905, free col'd 17; total, 3,547.
Philipsburg, p-v., Rush t., Centre co., Pa., 19 n. w.
Harrisburg, 211 W. Situated on Mushannon cr., 20 ms. from its
confluence with the w. ranch of Susquehanna r., to which it is
navigable. It is a neat v., containing 1 Episcopal church,
several stores, 1 steam grist m., 1 forge, 1 wire and screw fac,
and about 60 dwellings.
Phillipsburg, p-v., Wells t., Jefferson co., O., e. by n.
Columbus, 262 W. Situated on Ohio r., opposite Wellsburg, Va. It
has an extensive mercantile warehouse.
Philipsport, p-v., Mamakating t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 92 s. s.
w. Albany, 287 W. Situated on the Delaware and Hudson canal, and
contains Methodist church, 1 store, 1 grist m., 20 dwellings,
and about 100 inhabitants.
Philip's Store, p-o., Nash co., N. C, 58 e. Raleigh, 270 W.
Philipstown, p-v., White co., Ill, 190 s. e. Springfield, 742 W.
Philipsville, p-v., Amity t., Alleghany co., S . Situated on
Genesee r., on the line of the York and Erie railroad, and
contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 35 dwellings,
and about 250 inhabitants.
Phillips, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 55 n. w. Augusta, 636 W.
Watered by Sandy r., which flows into Kennebec r. Incorporated
in 1812. It has 5 stores, cap. $14,500; 1 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $12,850. 11 sch. 597 scholars. P. 1,312.
Phillipsburg, t., Beaver co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,500;
1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist
m., 1 saw m. cap, in manufac. $39,490. I school. Pop. 338.
Phillipsburg, p-v., Wallkill t., Orange co., N. Y. 109 s. by w.
Albany, 282 W. It contains 1 store, 2 woolen fac, 1 wool carding
machine, 1 grist m, 1 distillery, and 8 or 10 dwellings.
Phillipsburg, p-v., Erie co., Pa., 268 n. w. Harrisburg, 319 W.
Phillipsburg, b., New Sewickly t., Beaver co., Pa. Situated 2
ms. from Beaver b., on the s. side of the Ohio r., opposite the
entrance of Beaver r. It contains 1 church, 1 store, and about
65 dwellings. Steamboat building is extensively carried on. A
bridge connects it with Bridgewater, on the opposite side of
Phillipston, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 65 n. w. by w. Boston,
414 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile. It contains 3
churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Methodist, and 1 Universalist.
Chartered in 1786, by the name of Gerry; changed to Phillipston
in 1812. It has a large pond in its e. part. It has 1 store,
cap. $11,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,512
sp., 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $33,500.
7 sch. 273 scholars. Pop. 919.
Phillipstown, t., Putnam co., N. Y., 14 w. Carmel, 96 s. Albany.
The surface is mountainous, containing some of the most elevated
peaks of the Highlands. Cold Spring v. is situated on the e.
bank of Hudson r., nearly opposite to West Point. Hudson River
runs on its w. boundary. Iron ore abounds in the vicinity. It
has 18 stores, cap. $39,500; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery,
1 paper fac, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $165,310. 9 sch. 547 scholars. Pop. 3,814.
Phillipsville, v., Granby t., Oswego co., N. Y. Situated on the
w. side of Oswego r., and contains 2 stores, 2 saw m., 25
dwellings, and about 175 inhabitants. The r. has a descent here
of 20 feet, creating a great water power.
Philometh, p-o., Union co., Ia., 69 e. by s. Indianapolis, 508
Philomont, p-v., Loudon co., Va., 12 s. Leesville, 141 n.
Richmond, 48 W. It contains a store and 6 or 8 dwellings.
Phippsburg, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 44 s. Augusta, 584. Situated
at the mouth of Kennebec r., on a peninsula, between Kennebec r.
on the e. and New Meadow bay on the w. It has the Atlantic on
the s. Sequin and Pond islands, on each of which is a
light-house, belong to the t. Cape Small Point is at its s.
extremity. It has considerable navigation, employed chiefly in
the fisheries. Ship building is a considerable business. It has
7 commercial houses, cap. $2,850; 1 grist m., 33 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $143,417 9 sch. 654 scholars. Pop. 1,657.
Phipp's Mills, p-o., Venango co., Pa., 215 w. n. w. Harrisburg,
Phoenix, p-v., Schroeppel t., Oswego co., N. Y., 148 w. n. w.
Albany, 365 W. Situated on the e. side of Oswego r., on the
Oswego canal, and contains 1 church, 6 stores, 1 flouring m., 6
saw m., 50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Phoenix, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C, 77 w. Columbia, 541 W.
Phoenix Mills, p-o., Walworth co., Wis., 61 s. e. Madison, 804
Phoenixville, p-v., Schuylkill t., Chester co., Pa., 79 e. s. e.
Harrisburg, 156 W. Situated at the junction of French cr. with
Schuylkill r. It contains 2 stores, 2 rolling m., a nail fac,
producing 2,000 tons of nails annually, 1 cotton fac. 2,000 sp.,
100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants.
Physic Spring, p-o., Buckingham co., Va., 64 w. Richmond, 142 W.
Piatt, County, Ill. Situated a little n. of e.
of the centre of the state, and contains 440 sq. ms. Drained by
Sangamon r. Capital, Monticello.
Piatt's Landing, p-o., Boone co., Ky., 72 n. Frankfort, 530 W.
Pickamink, p-o., Iroquois co., Ill., 198 n. e. Springfield, 700
Pickaway, County, O. Situated a little s. of
the centre of the state, and contains 470 sq. ms. The surface is
generally level; soil, very fertile, yielding 40 or 45 bushels
of wheat, and 65 of Indian corn, to the acre. Drained by Scioto
r. and its tributaries, Darby, Deer, and Little Walnut creeks.
Capital, Circleville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 19,273,
sheep 25,858, swine 37,895; wheat 246,661 bushels produced, rye
10,414, Ind.com 1,323,884, buckwheat 1,342, oats 160,858,
potatoes 18,067, tobacco 1,128 pounds, sugar 11,050; 1 furnace;
33 stores, cap. $91,150; 3 commission houses, cap. $10,000; 4
fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 13 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 1
brewery, 2 potteries, 8 flouring m., 15 grist m., 38 saw m., 1
oil m., 3 printing offices, 2 weekly, 1 semi-weekly, and 4
periodical newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $66,513. 1 acad. 15
students, 54 sch. 1,522 scholars. Pop. 19,725.
Pickaway, t., Pickaway co., O. It has 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 1
flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,505. 6 sch. 176
scholars. Pop. 1,572.
Pickens, District, S. C. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 1,200 sq. ms. The surface is
hilly and mountainous. Drained by Seneca r. and its branches, a
tributary of Tugaloo r. Capital, Pickens C. H. There were in
1840, neat cattle 14,873, sheep 7,961, swine 32,566; wheat
48,815 bushels produced, rye 3,440, Indian corn 515,215, oats
91,539, potatoes 32,238, tobacco 13.613 pounds, cotton 395,253;
16 stores, cap. $59,600; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 7
tanneries, 49 distilleries, 9 flouring m., 72 grist m., 25 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $72,800. 1 acad. 51 students, 25 sch. 579
scholars. Pop. whites, 11,548, slaves 2,715, free col'd 93;
Pickens, County, Ala. Situated in the w. part
of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Drained by Tombigbee r.
and its branches, the chief of which is Sipsey or New r.
Capital, Carrollton. It has 3 acad. 120 students, 28 sch. 609
scholars. Pop. whites 9,317, slaves 7,764, free col'd 7; total
Pickens, C. H., p-v., capital of Pickens dist., S. C, 130 n. w.
by w. Columbia. It contains a court house, jail, an academy, and
from 200 to 300 inhabitants.
Pickens Mills, p-o., Marengo co., Ala., 52 s. Tuscaloosa, 864 W.
Pickensville, p-v., Pickens dist., S. C, 120 w. n. w. Columbia,
515 W. It contains an academy, and about 150 inhabitants.
Pickensville, p-v., Pickens co., Ala., 53 w. Tuscaloosa, 861 W.
Situated on the e. side of the Tombigbee r., and contains a
church, 10 stores, and about 500 inhabitants.
Pickering, island, Hancock co., Me.
Pickering, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 78 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 135
Pickerington, p-v., Violet t., Fairfield co., O., 17 e. s. e.
Columbus, 388 W. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 35 dwellings,
and about 200 inhabitants.
Piedmont, p-v., Harris co., Ga., 135 w. s. w. Milledgeville, 768
Piermont, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 65 n. n. w. Concord, 510 W.
Connecticut r. bounds it on the w., on which are extensive and
highly fertile intervals. Watered by Eastman's brook, flowing
from 2 ponds in its e. part, and which affords water power.
Indian brook crosses its s. w. corner. First settled in 1770. It
has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
tannery, 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $10,450. 1 sch. 10 scholars.
Piermont, p-v., Orangetown t., Rockland co., N. Y., 24 n. New
York, 135 s. by w. Albany, 258 W. Situated on the w. side of
Hudson r., on Sparkhill cr., which affords water power. It
contains 2 churches, an academy, 5 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., 140 dwellings, and about 1 ,000 inhabitants. The
New York and Erie railroad commences at this point, and the
Palisades here terminate in an abrupt hill.
Pierpont, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 8 e. Canton, 202 n. n.
w. Albany, 486 W. The surface is diversified; soil, various. It
is 40 miles long from n. to s. Drained by Oswegatchie and Grass
rivers. Racket r. crosses its n. e. corner. It has 1 fulling m.,
1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,945. 11 sch. 438
scholars. Pop. 1,430.
Pierpont, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 213 n. e. Columbus, 330 W.
Piffarmana, p-o., Livingston co., N. Y.
Pig, r., Va., rises in the Blue ridge, and falls into Roanoke
r., after a course of 35 miles.
Pigeon, t., Vanderburgh co., Ia. It has 3 sch. 75 scholars. Pop.
Pigeon Creek, p-o., Greene co., Tenn., 253 e. Nashville, 444 W.
Pigeon Creek, p-o., Ralls co., Mo., 104 n. n. e. Jefferson City,
Pigeon Forge, p-o., Sevier co., Tenn.
Pigeon River, p-o., Haywood co., N. C, 284 w. Raleigh, 514 W.
Pigeon Run, p-o., Campbell co., Va., 133 w s. w. Richmond, 211
Pike, County, Pa. Situated toward the part of
the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Delaware r. bounds it on the
n. e. and s. e. The surface is mountainous and broken; soil,
generally barren, excepting along the Delaware r where is good
land. Watered by Lackawaxen r., along which passes the Delaware
and Hudson canal. Several creeks which flow into the Delaware
afford water power. The lumber business forms the chief
employment of the in habitants. Capital, Milford. There were it
1840, neat cattle 2,935, sheep 3,037, swine 3,421 wheat 4,469
bushels produced, rye 32,994, Ind. corn 21,759, buckwheat
19,317, oats 16,019, potatoes 51,614; 11 stores, cap. In
$43,300; 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 7 grist m., 46 saw m. Cap. v
manufac. $113,605. 1 acad. 46 students, 18 sch 426 scholars.
Pike, County, Ga. Situated a little w. of the
centre of the state, and contains 470 sq. ms Drained by Anhan r.
a branch of Flint r., which bounds it on the w. Capital,
Zebulon. Ther were in 1840, neat cattle 11,746, sheep 4,475
swine 24,207; wheat 47,171 bush, produced, Lad corn 396,282,
oats 27,516, potatoes 14,715, tobacco 3,947 pounds, cotton
6,074,959; 11 stores, cap $48,250; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 5 saw
m., 2 oil m Cap. in manufac. $2,900. 1 acad. 25 student? 8 sch.
256 scholars. Pop. whites 6,595, slave 2,549, free col'd 32;
Pike, County, Ala. Situated toward the B. I
part of the state, and contains 1,100 sq. ms. P" r. runs on its
e. border. Drained by Conecuh and its branches. Capital, Troy.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 28,375, sheep 3,726. swim
36,240; wheat 4,020 bush, produced, Ind. corn, 385,993, oats
8,173, potatoes 32,320, cotton 733,26 pounds; 8 stores, cap.
$5,750; 12 grist m., 7 saw m., 19 sch. 412 scholars. Pop. whites
7,987 slaves 2,111, free col'd 10; total, 10,108.
Pike, County, Miss. Situated toward the s w.
part of the state, and contains 864 sq. m Drained by Bogue
Chitto r. and its branches, and by Tangiapaho r., which flows
into Lake Pontchartrain. Capital, Holmesville. There were in
1840, neat cattle 9,421, sheep 2,482, swine 19 591; wheat 257
bush, produced, Ind. corn 1180,345, oats 9,198, potatoes 26,818,
rice 139,600 pounds, cotton 1,416,751; 3 stores, cap. $24,000;
12 sch. 242 scholars. Pop. whites 3,756 slaves 2,374, free col'd
21; total, 6,151.
Pike, County, Ky. Situated in the s. e. part of
the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. Cumberland mountain bounds
it on the s. e. Drained by the w. fork of Big Sandy r. Capital,
Piketon. There were in 1810, neat cattle 5,717, sheep 2,984,
swine 11,866; wheat 4,966 bush, produced, Ind. corn 174,398,
oats 21,292, potatoes 8,767, tobacco 11,369 pounds, cotton
14,491, sugar 16,850; 12 stores, cap. $25,743; 48 grist m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,436. 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. whites
3,469, slaves 85, free col'd 13; total, 3,567.
Pike, County, O. Situated in the s. part of the
state, and contains 421 sq. ms. Scioto r. passes centrally
through it from n. to s. The surface is various; soil, very
fertile. Capital, Chilicothe. There were in 1840, neat cattle
1,559, sheep 8,706, swine 12,362; wheat 82,470 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 356,434, oats 106,324, potatoes 4,593; 23 stores, cap.
$37,280; 3 flouring m., 5 grist m., 19 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
115,760.37 sch. 823 scholars. Pop. 7,626.
Pike, County, Ia. Situated in the s. w. part f
the state, and contains 325 sq. ms. Organized in 1816. The
surface is gently rolling; soil, fertile. White r. runs on its
n. boundary, and is navigable. Watered by Patoka River and Flat
creek. Capital, Petersburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,733, sheep 5,152, swine 3,578; wheat 28,947 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 39,037, oats 31,934, potatoes 9,366, tobacco 1,440
pounds, sugar 6,732; 15 stores, cap. $33,100; 3 tanneries. 3
distilleries, 8 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,387. 1
acad. 15 udents, 12 sch. 342 scholars. Pop. 4,769.
Pike, County, Ill. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 800 sq. ms. The Illinois bounds it on
the e., and the Mississippi on the w. Drained by creeks which
flow into these rivers, and which afford water power. Snycartee
slough passes along the Mississippi in this co. There is a salt
spring on McKee's cr., 20 feet in diameter. Capital, Pittsfield.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,597, sheep 6,987, vine
22,413; wheat 81,879 bush, produced, rye 221, Ind. corn 359,945,
buckwheat 1,740, oats,860, potatoes 31,615, tobacco 12,065
pounds, sugar 8,240; 20 stores, cap. $68,400; 14 tanneries,
distillery, 1 flouring m., 11 grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $57,080. 2 acad. 105 students, sch. 656 scholars. Pop.
Pike, County, Mo. Situated toward the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. The Mississippi r.
bounds it on the n. e. Salt r. runs rough its n. e. part into
the Mississippi. Drained on the s. by a branch of Cuivre r.
Capital, Bowling Green. There were in 1840, neat cattle, 13,515,
sheep 14,312, swine 33,940; wheat,971 bush, produced, rye 2,306,
Ind. corn 3,160, oats 73,980, potatoes 21,641, tobacco 2,922
pounds, sugar 20,045; 1 commercial use, cap. $2,200; 36 stores,
cap. $133,077; 3 woolen fac, 11 tanneries, 9 distilleries, 2
potteries. 2 flouring m., 15 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $69,530. 27 sch.
1,048 scholars. Pop. whites 8,157, slaves 2,472, free col'd 17;
Pike, County, Ark. Situated toward the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 500 sq. ms. Drained by branches
of Little Missouri r. Capital, Murfreesboro'. There were in
1840, neat cattle 1,772, sheep 448, swine 5,744; wheat 653 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 70,115, potatoes 2,670, tobacco 1,018
pounds, cotton 11,998, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,800. Pop. whites 860, slaves 109 : total, 969.
Pike, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 20 n. Angelica, 257 w. by s.
Albany, 350 W. The surface is rolling; soil, a fertile mold.
Drained by East Koy and West Koy creeks. The v. is situated on
West Koy cr., and contains 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, 8
stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries,
2 clothiers' works, 90 dwellings, and about 600 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 9 stores, cap. $20,550; 3 fulling m., 1
furnace, 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $34,625. 9 sch. 289 scholars. Pop. 2,176.
Pike, t, Potter co., Pa. It has 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $11,100. Pop. 139.
Pike, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is uneven; soil, gravel,
not fertile, and indifferently cultivated. Drained by the
sources of Manatawny cr., which afford water power. It has 1
church, common to Lutherans and Presbyterians. It has 3 stores,
cap. $11,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 forge. Pop. 790.
Pike, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 153 n. Harris-burg, 268 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by Wyalusing cr.
and its tributaries. It has 3 stores, cap. $10,200; 2 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $17,700. 11 sch. 185 scholars. Pop. 1,518.
Pike, t, Brown co., O. It has 2 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 792.
Pike t, Perry co., O. It has 6 stores, cap. $6,550; 2 tanneries,
1 pottery, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$11,617. 7 sch. 225 scholars. Pop. 1,668.
Pike, t., Clarke co., O. It contains Northampton v., and has 11
sch. 596 scholars. Pop. 1,436.
Pike, t., Coshocton co., O. It contains West Carlisle v. It has
1 store, cap. $1,400; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 2
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $700. Pop. 1,115.
Pike, t., Knox co., O. It contains Amity v. It has 7 sch. 291
scholars. Pop. 1,248.
Pike, t., Madison co., O. It has 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $3,750. 6 sch. 104 scholars. Pop. 529.
Pike, t., Stark co., O. It has 1 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 1,409.
Pike Run, p-t., Washington co., Pa., 18 s. e. Washington b., 194
w. Harrisburg, 210 W. Watered by Pike run, and Little Pike run,
which flow into Monongahela r. At their junction with the r., is
Greenfield v. The national road rims on its e. border, on which
are Centreville and Bealsville villages. It has 6 stores, cap.
$3,500; 1 distillery, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,500. 2 sch.
58 scholars. Pop. 2,187.
Pike Run, p-o., Ross co., O.
Piketon, p-v., capital of Pike co., O., 19 s. Chilicothe, 64 s.
Columbus, 398 W. Situated on the e. side of Scioto r. It
contains a court house, jail, 6 stores, 1 tannery, and about 80
Piketon, p-v., capital of Pike co., Ky., 173 E. s. E. Frankfort,
438 W. Situated on the w. fork of Sandy r. It contains a court
house, 20 dwellings, and 92 inhabitants.
Piketon, p-v., Marion co., Ia., 9 n. w. Indianapolis, 580 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!