Pike Township, PA to Pittsburgh City,
Pike Township, p-o., Pike t., Berks co., Pa., 63 e. Harrisburg,
Pikeville, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 8 n. w. Baltimore, 33 n.
Annapolis, 48 W. Situated on the e. side of Patapsco r. It
contains a United States arsenal.
Pikeville, p-v., capital of Marion co., Ala., 68 n. N. w.
Tuscaloosa, 839 W. Situated 3 ms. e. of the Buttahatchee r., and
contains a court house, and a few dwellings.
Pikeville, p-v., capital of Bledsoe co., Tenn., 112 e. s. e.
Nashville, 588 W. Situated on elevated ground, a little w. of
Sequatchy r., a branch of Tennessee r. It contains a court
house, and about 150 inhabitants.
Pilatka, p-v., St. Johns co., Flor. Situated on the w. side of
St. Johns r.
Pilcher, p-o., Belmont co., O., 126 e. Columbus, 293 W.
Piles Grove, t., Salem co., N. J., 10 n. e. Salem. The surface
is level; soil, stiff clay and deep loam, and well cultivated.
Drained by Salem cr., which affords water power. It contains 3
churches, 1 Friends, 1 Methodist, 1 African Methodist. It has 10
stores, cap. $19,600; 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 2
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $49,340. 8 sch. 312 scholars. Pop.
Pillar Point, p-o., Brownville t., Jefferson co., N. Y.
Pilot Grove, p-o., Cooper co., Mo., 62 w. by N. Jefferson City,
Pinckney, t., Lewis co., N. Y., 16 n. w. Martinsburg, 156 N. w.
Albany. The surface is level; soil, a fertile sandy and clay
loam. Drained by Deer r. and Sandy cr. It has 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $200. 11 sch. 372 scholars. Pop. 907.
Pinckney, p-v., Rutherford co., N. C, 226 w. by s. Raleigh, 457
Pinckney, p-v., Williamson co., Tenn., 28 s. Nashville, 705 W.
Situated on the w. side of Harpeth r., a branch of Cumberland r.
Pinckney, p-v., Warren co., Mo., 61 e. n. e. Jefferson City, 885
W. Situated on the n. side of Missouri r.
Pinckney, p-o., Livingston co., Mich., 54 w. by n. Detroit, 547
Pinckneyville, p-v., Union dist., S. C, 79 n. w. Columbus, 449
W. Situated on the w. side of Broad r.
Pinckneyville, p-v., Gwinnett co., Ga., 96 n. w. Milledgeville,
667 W. Situated a little s. E. of Chattahooche r.
Pinckneyville, p-v., Tallapoosa co., Ala.
Pinckneyville, p-v., Wilkinson co., Miss., 150 s. w. Jackson,
1,160 W. Situated near the s. w. border of the state, and
contains 2 stores, and several dwellings.
Pinckneyville, p-v., capital of Perry co., Ill., 134 s.
Springfield, 839 W. Situated on the w. side of Big Beaucoup
creek, at the head of Four Mile prairie, and contains 5 stores
and 20 dwellings, and 62 inhabitants.
Pindertown, p-v., Lee co., Ga., 118 s. s. w. Milledgeville, 775
W. Situated on the w. side of Flint r.
Pine, p-o., Vienna t, Oneida co., N. Y., 117 w. n. w. Albany,
Pine, t., Alleghany co., Pa., 11 n. Pittsburg. The surface is
hilly; soil, loam. Drained by branches of Alleghany r. It has 1
store, capital $500. 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 5 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,200. 9 sch. 342 scholars. Pop. 1,770.
Pine, t., Armstrong co., Pa. Bounded w. by Alleghany r., by
branches of which it is drained. It has 2 fulling m., 1 tannery,
1 distillery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,700. 1
acad. 26 students. Pop. 1,227.
Pine Bluff, p-o., Copiah co., Miss., 49 s s w Jackson, 1,064 W.
Pine Bluff, p-o., Pulaski co., Mo., 82 s Jefferson City, 973 W.
Pine Bluff, p-v., capital of Jefferson co Ark., 23 s. s. e.
Little Rock, 1,113 W. Situated on the s. side of Arkansas r. It
contains a court house, several stores, and about 200
Pine Brook, p-v., Hanover t., Morris co N. J., 63 n. Trenton,
Pine Creek, t., Clinton co., Pa. It has 1 flouring m., 1 grist
m. Cap. in manufac. $13,000. 1 acad. 25 students, 2 sch. 62
scholars. Pop. 572.
Pine, cr., Pa., rises in Potter co., and flows into the w.
branch of Susquehanna r. It is navigable to the line of Potter
co., 60 ms. A vast quantity of lumber passes down it annually.
Pine Creek, p-o., Tioga co., Pa., 157 n. by w Harrisburg, 271 W.
Pine Creek, t., Jefferson co., Pa. It has 1 grist m., 8 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $14,300 Pop. 628.
Pine Creek, p-o., Lewis co., Va., 328 w. n. w. Richmond, 296 W.
Pine Grove, p-o., Tyrone t., Steuben co. N Y., 198 w. by s.
Albany, 306 W.
Pine Grove, t., Venango co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $7,000; 1
distillery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,900. 2 sch.
32 scholars Pop. 593.
Pine Grove, p-t., Schuylkill co., Pa., 43 n. r. Harrisburg, 153
W. The surface is mountain Watered by Swatara creek, along which
runs a navigable feeder of the Union canal. A dam across the
cr., in a gorge of Blue Mountain, forms a pond, covering 7 or
800 acres, and which sets up 6 ms. Along this pond is a
tow-path, and 4 ms. beyond it, a canal to Pine Grove v.; and
along Swatara cr. a railroad extends 3½ ms further into the coal
region. The v., situated on Swatara cr., has several streets, 6
stores, and about 90 dwellings. It contains a spacious basin for
canal-boats. The t. has 6 stores, cap $24,300; 2 furnaces, 1
forge, 3 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap in manufac. $2,300. 1 sch. 25
scholars. Pop. 1,605.
Pine Grove, p-o., Tyler co., Va., 323 n. w. Richmond, 296 W.
Pine Grove, p-o., Macon co., Ala., 143 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 804 W.
Pine Grove, p-o., St. Tammany par., La., 51 N. New Orleans,
Pine Grove, p-o., Springfield t., Gallia co., O, 97 s. e.
Columbus, 369 W.
Pine Grove Mills, p-o., Centre co., Pa 90 n. w. Harrisburg, 181
Pine Hill, p-o., Washington co., R. I., 25 Providence, 336 W.
Pine Hill, p-o., Shandaken t., Ulster co., N Y., 75 s. w.
Albany, 349 W .
Pine Hill, v., Elba t., Genesee co., N. Y. 1 contains 3
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist, 3 stores, 1
tannery, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Pine Hill, p-o., Wilcox co., Ala., 102 s. Tuscaloosa, 894 W.
Pine Hill, p-o., Oakland co., Mich.
Pine Lake, p-o., Talbot co., Ga., 130 w. s. W Milledgeville, 782
Pine Level, p-o., Fluvanna co., Va.
Pine Level, p-o., Montgomery co., Ala., 141 s. e. Tuscaloosa,
Pine Lick, p-o., Clarke co., Ia., 94 s. s. e. Indianapolis, 594
Pine Log, p-o., Cass co., Ga., 156 n. w. Milledgeville, 647 W.
Pine Orchard. (See Cattskill.)
Pine Plains, p-t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 25 n. e., Poughkeepsie,
62 s. Albany, 327 W. The surface has high hills on the e. and
w., with a fertile intervening plain; soil, sandy and gravelly
loam. It has several ponds, from one of which flows Wappinger's
creek. Drained also by Chicomico creek, a tributary of Roeliff
Jansen's cr. The v. contains 1 Presbyterian Church, 4 stores, 40
dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. There are in the t. 6
stores, cap. in manufac $18,100; 2 fulling m., 1tannery, 1
flouring m., 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $28,900. 1
sch. 18 scholars, Pop. 1,334.
Pine Run, p-o., Genesee co., Mich., 72 n. w. Detroit, 596 W.
Pine's Bridge, p-o., Yorktown t., Westchester co., N. Y., 123 s.
Albany, 265 W.
Pine Street, p-o., Clearfield co., Pa., 159 n., Harrisburg, 242
Pineville, p-o., Steuben co., N. Y., 220 w. by s. Albany, 305 W.
Pineville, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., 7 e. by s. Doylestown, 108 e.
Harrisburg, 163 W. It conins about 6 dwellings.
Pineville, p-v., Charleston dist., S. C., 130 s. Columbia, 518
W. Situated on the s. side of e Santee r.
Pineville, p-v., Marion co., Ga.
Pineville, p-v., Marengo co., Ala., 110 s. s. w. Tuscaloosa, 922
W. Situated near the s. line of the co., a little e. of
Pine Woods, p-o., Sevier co., Ark., 131 w. s. w. Little Rock,
Piny, p-o., Armstrong co., Pa., 185 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 274 W.
Piny Creek, p-o., Carroll co., Md.
Piny Grove, p-o., Williamsburg dist., S. C, 124 e. by s.
Columbia, 484 W.
Piny River, p-o., Dickson co., Tenn., 52 w. Nashville, 736 W.
Pingreeville, p-v., Littleton t., Grafton co., N.H., 89 n. w.
Concord, 550 W. Situated on e. side of Connecticut r.
Pinksville, p-v., Armstrong co w. Harrisburg, 254 W. Pinkney,
t., Calhoun co., Mich, scholars. Pop. 201.
Pinkham's Grant, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 92 n. Concord, 578 W. It
has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,700. 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop.
Pintlala, r., Ala., rises in Montgomery co., and running on the
e. border of the co., enters Alabama r., on its s. side.
Pintlala, p-o., Montgomery co., Ala., 125 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 852
W. Situated on Pintlala cr., on the w. border of the co.
Pinus, p-o., Jackson co., Ill., 90 s. Springfield, 843W.
Pioneer Mills, p-o., Cabarrus co., N. C, 155 w. by s. Raleigh,
Pipe Creek, p-o., Beaufort dist., S. C, 149 s. Columbia, 655 W.
Pipe Creek, p-o., Madison co., Ia. 41 n. e. Indianapolis, 563 W.
Piperville, p-o., Jefferson co., Wis.
Piqua, p-v., Miami co., O., 73 w. Columbus, 467 W. Situated on
the s. w. side of Miami r., on the line of the Miami canal. Its
streets are spacious and regularly laid out. It contains 5
churches, a market, 16 stores, 4 saw m., 2 grist m., a printing
office issuing a weekly newspaper, 2 dwellings, mostly of brick,
and handsome. The waste water of the canal affords water power.
It has 5 sch. 169 scholars. Pop. 1,481.
Piquea, p-v., Lancaster co., Pa., 54 s. E. Harrisburg, 129 W.
Piscataqua, r., N. H., rises in Wakefield t., and running s. s.
e. about 40 ms. falls into the Atlantic below Portsmouth, where
it forms one of the best harbors in the U. States. Through its
whole course it constitutes the boundary between N. H. and Me.
From its source to Berwick lower falls it is called Salmon Falls
r.; thence to its junction with Cocheco r , Newichawannoc; and
thence to the ocean, Piscataqua. Through Great Bay, which enters
it on the s., it receives Lamprey, Exeter, and several other
streams from the s. and w. It is navigable, with its
tributaries, for sloops to South Berwick, Dover, New Market,
Durham, and Exeter. Great Bay unites with the Piscataqua at
Hilton's point, 5 ms. above Portsmouth, and is, in some places,
4 miles wide. The tide flows up the r. at Ports-mouth with a
strong current, which prevents the harbor from being much
obstructed by ice.
Piscataquis, r., Me., a large western branch of Penobscot r.,
which rises in the elevated land between Penobscot and Kennebec
rivers, and flowing e. about 65 ms., enters the Penobscot 25 ms.
below the junction of Mattawamkeag r.
Piscataquis, County, Me. Situated in the n.
part of the state, extending to the Canada line, contains a
great amount of territory, most of which is a wilderness, the s.
part only being settled. It contains a great number of lakes,
the principal of which are Moose Head, on its w. border,
Chesuncook, and Pemadumcook. Drained by the Penobscot,
Piscataquis, Sebec, and Pleasant rivers, which afford extensive
water power. It contains Katahdin Mountain and some other less
elevated summits. Organized in 1838. It has much good land in
the neighborhood of Piscataquis r. Capital, Dover. There were in
1840, neat cattle 8,642, sheep 17,830, swine 4,720; wheat 59,298
bush, produced, rye 2,769, Ind. corn 12,533, buckwheat 987,
barley 4,229, oats 57,675, potatoes 445,576, sugar 8,454 pounds;
10 stores, cap. 815,400; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 9
tanneries, 3 flouring m., 19 grist m., 31 saw m., 1 oil m., 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $34,450.
1 acad. 100 students, 143 sch. 5,578 scholars. Pop. 13,133.
Piscataquog, r., N. H., a branch of the Merrimac r., which it
enters at a v. of its own name, on its w. side.
Piscataway, t., Middlesex co., N. J., 5 n. New Brunswick.
Watered by Amherst and Cedar brooks, tributaries of Green brook.
The surface is level; soil, loam, clay, and red shale, and
generally well cultivated. It contains several vs. The v. of the
same name contains an Episcopal church, 1 store, and about 12
dwellings. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $12,209; 2
tanneries, 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,850. 8 sch.
222 scholars. Pop. 2,828.
Piscataway, p-v., Prince George's co., Md., 56 s. w. Annapolis,
16 W. Situated on Piscataway r., a branch of Potomac r.
Piseco, lake, Arietta t, Hamilton co., N. Y., is 6 ms. long and
2 wide, abounding with excellent trout. Its outlet forms the w.
branch of Sacondaga r., a tributary of Hudson r.
Piseco, p-v., Arietta t., Hamilton co., N. Y. Situated at the n.
end of Piseco Lake. It contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m.,
1 machine shop, 15 dwellings, arid about 100 inhabitants.
Pisgah, p-o., Cole co., Mo., 33 w. n. w. Jefferson City, 969 W.
Pistol Creek, p-o., Wilkes co., Ga., 94 n. e. Milledgeville, 566
Pitcairn, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 30 s. Canton, 171 n. n.
w. Albany, 470 W. The surface is gently uneven; soil, clay loam,
well adapted to grass. Drained by the s. w. branch of
Oswegatchie r. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.$500. 2 sch. 42
scholars. Pop. 396.
Pitcher, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y., 16 w. Norwich, 127 w. s. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, argillaceous loam. Drained
by Ostelic r. and its tributaries. The v. is situated on Ostelic
cr., and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, 2 stores,
1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, 1 clothier's works, 40
dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. There are in the t. 3
stores, cap. $7,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 4
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,300. 1 acad. 26 students,
16 sch. 571 scholars. Pop. 1,562.
Pitcher Springs, p-v., Pitcher t., Chenango co., N. Y., 126 w.
Albany, 332 W. It contains a store, an academy, about 30
dwellings, and 2 or 3 sulphur springs of some celebrity.
Pitch Landing, p-v., Hertford co., N. C, 165 e. n. e. Raleigh,
237 W. Situated on the w. side of Piney cr., a branch of
Wickocon cr., which flows into Chowan r.
Pitt, County, N. C. Situated toward the e. part
of the state, and contains 800 sq. ms. Neuse r. runs on its s.
e. border. Drained by Tar r. Capital, Greenville. There were in
1840, neat cattle 5,984, sheep 4,369, swine 31,037; wheat 9,751
bush, produced, rye 2,570, Ind. corn 376,455, oats 6,424,
potatoes 73,316, cotton 510,259 pounds, 15 commission houses and
9 stores, cap. $66,080; 14 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 6 grist
m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 1 acad. 30 students, 4
sch. 63 scholars. Pop. whites 6,128, slaves 5,648, free col'd
30; total, 11,806.
Pitt, t., Alleghany co., Pa. Alleghany r. bounds it on the n.,
and Monongahela r. on the s. and w. The city of Pittsburg lies
on its n. w. boundary. It contains the villages of East Liberty
and Lawrenceville. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. Coal is
abundant. It has 17 stores, cap. $12,200; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 5
tanneries, 4 glass houses, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufactures,
$273,195. 1 acad. 20 students, 10 sch. 961 scholars. Pop. 6,002.
Pitt, t., Crawford co., O. It contains Little Sandusky v. It has
3 sch. 124 scholars. Pop. 424.
Pittmans, p-o., Monroe co., Ga., 62 w. Milledgeville, 684 W.
Pittsborough, p-v., capital of Chatham co., N. C, 34 w. by s.
Raleigh, 322 W. Situated on Robinson's cr. It contains a court
house, jail, 1 Episcopal and 1 Methodist church, an academy, and
about 300 inhabitants.
Pittsburg, t, Coos co., N. H. Situated in the n. e. extremity of
the state. It contains Connecticut Lake, and several head
branches of Connecticut r.
Pittsburgh, city, port
of entry, and capital of Alleghany co., Pa., is situated at the
confluence of the Alleghany and Monongahela rivers, where they
form the Ohio, which is here a quarter of a mile wide. It is in
40° 32' n. lat., and 80° 2' w. Ion., 230 w. n. w. Baltimore, 297
w. by n. Philadelphia, 200 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 226 W. Pop.
1810, 4,768; 1820, 7,248; 1830, 12,542; 1840, 21,115, being the
second city in population in the state, and the 13th in the
United States. It is built on a beautiful plain between the two
rivers, in the form of a triangle. About a mile back of the
point it is encompassed by Grant's, Ayers's, and Quarry hills.
It is compactly built, with some handsome buildings, generally
of brick; but a dingy appearance is given to them by the dust of
the bituminous coal, so extensively used in manufactures and
otherwise. The city was first laid out in 1765, on the n. e.
bank of the Monongahela, after the plan of Philadelphia with
streets running parallel with the river, and crossed by others
at right angles. The street on the Alleghany also run parallel
with the river and are crossed by streets at right angles; ant
the cross streets meet each other obliquely, a few streets back
from the r. A bridge crosses tin Alleghany, and another the
Monongahela r., the former of which cost $96,000, and the latte
$102,000. The Pennsylvania canal crosses the Alleghany r. in an
aqueduct, and several ferries cross the Monongahela. The harbor
of Pittsburgh is chiefly on the Monongahela, where the water is
deeper than in the Alleghany. Then are 89 steamboats, averaging
over 125 tons burden owned wholly or in part in the district of
Pittsburgh. The hills with which Pittsburgh is surrounded are
filled with bituminous coal, which is inexhaustible, and affords
great aid to its manufactures. There are 35 churches, 5
Presbyterian 1 Reformed do., 4 Methodist, 1 Protestant do.,
Cumberland Presbyterian, 3 Baptist, 2 Episcopal 5 Scots
Presbyterian, 2 Lutheran, 2 Congregational, 3 Welsh Methodist, 1
Unitarian, 1 Disciples, 3 Roman Catholic, and 1 African. Then
are four banks, with an aggregate capital o $3,000,000, besides
a bank for savings, and 2 insurance offices, with a total
capital of $500,000.
Among the public buildings of Pittsburg the new Court House,
situated on Grant's hill is a splendid edifice, 165 feet long
and 100 fee broad, of Grecian Doric architecture, in a very
commanding situation, and cost $200,000. The building of the
Western University of Pennsylvania is also near Grant's hill, on
the Monongahela side of the city. There is a spacious Roma
Catholic cathedral on Grant's hill. There are museum, which
contains many aboriginal curiosities and several splendid
hotels. There are several literary societies, with small
libraries: which would probably be more efficient, if unite in
one large institution There are three mark houses. The city is
supplied with water raise from the Alleghany r., a very pure
stream, by steam power, which supplies 1,500,000 gallon daily,
and is sent over the city in pipes, in the whole 9¼ miles in
length, and is to be further e tended, and which cost $188,056.
Pittsburgh alike distinguished for its commerce and
manufactures. Tonnage in 1840, 12,000. It had in 1840, 7
commercial and 32 commission house with a cap. of $1,241,110;
408 retail stores, cap. $4,165,190; 17 lumber yards, cap.
$167,000; 25 furnaces, 5 forges, cap. $1,219,000, value of
machinery manufactured $443,500; hardware and cutlery, &c,
$276,500; 5 cannon and 1,350 small-arms manufactured; precious
metals, $14,860 various metals, $196,700; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, cap. $10,000; 2 cotton fac. with 3,000 sp., tanneries, 5
breweries; paints and drugs, ca; $203,300; 4 glass fac, 2 glass
cutting estab., 2 flouring m., 5 saw m., 1 oil m., 18 printing
office 7 binderies, 4 daily, 11 weekly newspapers; 53 brick and
stone houses, and 15 wooden houses built, cost $161,200. Cap. in
manufac. $2,057,95 1 college, 50 students, 9 acad. 755 students,
sch. 2,581 scholars.
There are several places in the vicinity Pittsburgh, which,
though under different organization, should be regarded as
suburbs of it, t principal of which is Alleghany City, on the n.
w. side of the Alleghany r. Here are 15 churches, 2
Presbyterian, 2 Reformed do., Cumberland do., 2 Methodist, 1
Protestant do. Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 2 Scots Presbyterian, 1
German Reformed, 1 Disciples. The Western Penitentiary of
Pennsylvania is located at this place, and has been erected at
great expense, The Western Theological Seminary is also
established here. It occupies a commanding eminence, which
overlooks the surrounding country, the building is 150 feet
long, the centre 4 stories, and the wings 3 stories high, and it
has a respectable library. Alleghany city presents many
agreeable residences, where persons who do business in
Pittsburgh are pleased to retire from the bustle and smoke and
coal dust of the principal city. It has considerable commercial
and manufacturing business of its own. There were in 1840, 58
stores, cap. $83,400; 9 lumber yards, cap. 50,000; 1 furnace, 1
forge, cap. $218,000; value of hardware and cutlery produced,
$50,000; 3 cotton fac. 14,270 sp., 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1
ropewalk. Cap. in manufac. $726,640. 1 theological college, 31
students, 3 academies, 169 students, sch. 709 scholars. Pop.
Birmingham borough, (p-o. called Buchanan) is another important
suburb of Pittsburgh, is on s. side of the Monongahela, about a
mile distant from the centre of Pittsburgh, and has a
considerable population, and important manufactures of glass,
iron, &c. It has a Presbyterian and a Methodist church, and a
market house. It connected to Pittsburgh by a bridge and a
ferry. There were in 1840, 10 stores, cap. $14,500; lumber
yards, cap. $9,300; 1 forge, 6 glass fac, 4 glass cutting estab.,
cap. $140,000; 1 pottery, Cap. in manufac. $155,750. 4 sch. 115
scholars, p. 1,554.
The French formerly had a trading post
where Pittsburgh stands, denominated Fort Du Quesne. In an
attempt to capture this fortress, Gen. Braddock was defeated and
slain, on the e. bank of the Monongahela, 9 miles from
Pittsburgh, and 1 youthful Washington displayed his bravery and
skill, in conducting back the remains of the shattered army.
This place came into possession of the British in 1758, by
capture from the French; and by a fortification of some
strength, the possession was maintained against a power-attack
by the Indians. The magazine of the fort built in 1764, remained
entire until very recently. It was not until sometime after the
close of the revolutionary war that Pittsburgh began much to
excite the attention of emigrants, and to commence its onward
march toward its present distinguished prosperity.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!