Pittsburg, IN to Pleasant, OH
Pittsburg, p-v., Carroll co., Ia., 68 n.
n. w. Indianapolis, 626 W.
Pittsburg, p-v., Henry co., Ga., 75 w. n. w. Milledgeville, 679
Pittsburg, p-v., Johnson co., Ark., 91 n. w. Little Rock, 756 W.
Situated on the n. bank of Arkansas r. It contains a court
house, 2 stores, and 15 or 20 houses.
Pittsfield, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 43 n. Augusta, 633 W. The
soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Watered by a branch of
Sebasticook r. Incorporated in 1819. It has 1 store, cap. $400;
1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,500. 10 sch. 398
scholars. Pop. 951.
Pittsfield, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 70 s. s. w. Montpelier, 464
W. The surface is mountainous and rough; soil, adapted to
grazing. Watered by Tweed r., which flows into White river.
Chartered in 1781. It contains a Congregational and Methodist
church. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 tannery. 1 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,210. 5 sch. 216 scholars. Pop. 615
Pittsfield, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H , 15 n. e. Concord, 496 W.
The surface is various; soil, fertile. Catamount mountain is in
its s. e. part, on which is a considerable pond. Watered by
Suncook r., which affords water power. The v. contains an
academy, and a number of neat dwellings. There are in the t. 5
stores, cap. $15,800; 1 cotton fac. 4,096 sp., 3 tanneries, 1
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $208,185. 2 acad. 163
students, 11 sch. 461 scholars. Pop. 1,719.
Pittsfield, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 131 w. Boston, 376 W.
The surface is moderately uneven; soil, a fertile loam. Drained
by brandies of Housatonic r., which afford good water power. The
railroad from Boston to Albany passes through it. Agriculture
has been greatly improved here. The v. near the centre is one of
the largest, and best built in the co. The houses are generally
of wood, neatly painted white, and ornamented with shrubbery. It
lies chiefly on two streets crossing each other at right angles,
and has a central square of 4 acres, ornamented by a lofty elm
tree in the middle, the remains of the original forest. It
contains 4 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist,
and 1 Methodist, a bank, a printing office, a male and a female
academy, 350 dwellings, and 2,500 inhabitants. The Berkshire
Medical Institution, located here, was founded in 1823, has 5
professors, 74 students, 473 graduates; and the lectures
commence on the first Thursday in September. It is connected
with Williams' College, at Williamstown. There are in the t. 1
cotton fac. 1,500 sp., 3 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $111,200. 1 acad. 63 students, 15 sch. 696 scholars.
Pittsfield, p-t., Otsego co., N. Y., 18 w. Cooperstown, 95 w.
Albany, 352 W. The surface is hilly, with fertile valleys; soil,
sandy loam. Drained by Unadilla r. and its tributaries. It has 2
stores, cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 1 cotton fac. 3,500 sp., 1
grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $53,256. 5 sch. 160
scholars. Pop. 1,395.
Pittsfield, p-o., Warren co., Pa.
Pittsfield, p-t., Lorain co., O., 106 n. n. e. Columbus, 375 W.
It has 4 sch. 84 scholars. Pop. 704.
Pittsfield, p-t., Washtenaw co., Mich., 35 w. Detroit, 522 W.
Pittsfield, p-v., capital of Pike co., Ill., 70 w. s. w.
Springfield, 850 W. Situated on elevated ground, midway between
the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers. It contains a court house,
jail, 5 stores, various mechanic shops, and about 200
Pittsford, p-t, Rutland co., Vt., 70 s. w. Montpelier, 464 W.
The surface is moderately uneven; soil, loam with some sand and
clay, and fertile, particularly on the streams. Drained by Otter
cr. and Furnace r., with its branches, a tributary of Otter cr.,
which afford water power. Iron ore, a coarse-grained and
slightly flexible marble, and oxide of manganese, are found
here. The v., near the centre, contains 2 churches, several
stores, and about 40 dwellings. The t. contains 3 churches, 1
Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist. It has 4 stores,
cap. $12,000; 2 furnaces, 2 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $2,200.
18 sch. 650 scholars. Pop. 1,927.
Pittsford, p-t., Monroe co., N. Y., 6 e. Roch-ester, 213 w. by
n. Albany, 362 W. The surface is undulating; soil, calcareous
and argillaceous loam. Drained by Irondiquoit cr. and its
tributaries. The v. is situated on the Erie Canal and the Auburn
and Rochester railroad passes through I it. It contains 1
Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 4 stores, 2 forwarding
houses, 100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants. The t. had in
1840, 3 stores, cap. $33,000; 1 tannery, 1 brewery, 1 flouring
m. Cap. in manufac. $15,400. 13 sch. 593 scholars. Pop. 1,933.
Pittsford, p-t., Hillsdale co., Mich., 89 w. s. w. Detroit, 521
W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It contains 1 store,
cap. $1,800. Pop. 641.
Pittsgrove, p-t., Salem co., N. J., 16 e. Salem. The surface is
partly undulating and partly level: soil, chiefly sandy or
gravelly loam. Drained by branches of Maurice run, and by head
waters of Salem and Oldman's creeks. It has several villages,
and contains 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist church.
There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $9,820; 1 woolen fac, 5 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,955. 7 sch. 270 scholars. Pop.
Pitt's Mills, p-o., Armstrong co., Pa., 74 w. by n. Harrisburg,
Pittston, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 7 s. by e. Augusta, 595 W.
Situated on the E. side of Kennebec r. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grain. Drained by small tributaries of Kennebec r.,
which afford water power. Incorporated in 1779. Lumber is
exported to a considerable extent. It has 9 stores, cap. 18,000;
3 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $75,840. 16 sch. 696
scholars. Pop. 2,460.
Pittston Ferry, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 136 N. e. Harrisburg,
Pittstown, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 12 n. e. Troy, 25 n. e.
Albany, 393 W. The surface is uneven; soil, clay, gravel and
loam. Drained by Tomhannock cr. and Hoosic r., which bounds it
on the n. The v. contains a Baptist church, 2 stores, and about
20 dwellings. It has 10 stores, cap. $24,800; 3 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 2,290 sp., 2 tanneries, 1 flouring m.,
5 grist m., 13 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $127,600; 20
sch. 857 scholars. Pop. 3,784.
Pittstown, p-v., Alexander t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 33 n. n. w.
Trenton, 193 W. Situated on a tributary of the s. branch of
Raritan r. It contains a store, a grist m., and about 20
Pittsylvania, County, Va. Situated in the s.
part of the state, and contains 891 sq. ms. Staunton r. runs on
its n. border, by branches of which, and by Dan r., and Banister
r., it is watered. The soil is generally fertile. Capital,
Competition. There were in 1840, neat cattle 19,451, sheep
19,277, swine 42,513; wheat 142,178 bush, produced, rye 5,747,
Ind. corn 679,319, oats 333,763, potatoes 24,499, tobacco
6,438,777 pounds, cotton 18,499; 25 stores, cap. $200,300; 13
tanneries, 4 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 50 grist m., 37 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$221,690. 4 acad. 195 students, 38 sch. 817 scholars. Pop.
whites 14,283, slaves 11,558, free col'd 557; total, 26,398.
Pittsylvania, C. H., p-v., capital of Pittsylvania co., Va., 162
w. s. w. Richmond, 245 W. This place is called also Competition,
and is situated on a branch of Banister r. It contains a court
house, jail, 1 Methodist church, 3 stores, 125 dwellings, and
about 250 inhabitants.
Plain, t, Stark co., O. It has 800 scholars in schools. Pop.
Plain, p-t., Wayne co., O., 92 n. e. Columbus, 349 W. It
contains several villages. Pop. 2,134.
Plain, t., Franklin co., O. Situated in the n. e. corner of the
co., and has a level surface. It has 2 sch. 75 scholars. Pop.
Plain, t., St. Francis co., Ark. Pop. 192.
Plain, p-o., Greenville dist., S. C, 95 w. n. w. Columbia, 514
Plainfield, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 62 n w. Concord, 478 W.
Connecticut r. bounds it on the w., along which are excellent
tracts of intervale. Queechee falls, in Connecticut r., are
opposite this t., and a bridge crosses the r. Harts Island, in
Connecticut r., containing 19 acres, is in this t. It contains
"Union Academy," founded in 1813, by the bequest of $40,000,
which is designed to aid young men in a preparation for the
gospel ministry, and is flourishing. Then are in the t. 3
stores, cap. $9,000; 2 tanneries, 5 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 acad.
175 students, 11 sch. 613 scholars. Pop. 1,552.
Plainfield, p-t., Washington co., Vt., 9 e. by s. Montpelier,
525 W. The surface is uneven soil, generally fertile. Watered by
Onion r. and its branch, Great Brook, which afford water power.
The v., at the junction of these streams, contains 1
Congregational and 1 Methodist church It contains a mineral
spring of some note. Then are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $5,200; 1
fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,450. 4 sch. 133 scholars. Pop. 880.
Plainfield, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 115 w. Boston, 402 W.
The surface is mountainous and rough; soil, fertile, adapted to
grazing. Watered by the head branches of Westfield r., which
afford water power. North pond, a mile long and half a mile
wide, in its n. part, has its outlet into Deerfield r. The v.,
at the centre, contain a Congregational church. There are in the
t. stores, cap. $5,500; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac. 1 cotton
fac, 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,650.
1 acad., 6 sch. 31 scholars. Pop. 910.
Plainfield, p-t., Windham co., Ct., 45 e. Hartford, 372 W.
Bounded on the w. by Quinnebaug r. Drained by Moosup r., which
afford good water power. The surface is level; soil is a sandy
loam. It contains 4 churches, 1 Congregational, 2 Baptist, and 1
Friends. The v at the centre, is on elevated ground, mostly to
one extended street, and contains a Congregational church, and
an old and flourishing academy my, founded in 1783, and a number
of neat dwellings. The Norwich and Worcester railroad pass
through the t., a little w. of the v. There are in the t. 6
stores, cap. $19,600; 2 woolen fac, cotton fac. 15,900 sp., 1
tannery, 4 grist m.,5 saw m., 9 oil m. Cap. in manufac $364,000.
12 sch. 692 scholars. Pop. 2,383.
Plainfield, p-t., Otsego co., N. Y., 15 n. v Cooperstown, 84 w.
Albany, 373 W. These face is undulating; soil, sandy and
calcareous loam, and very fertile. Drained by Unadilla and its
tributaries. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,000; 2 fulling m., 2 grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,890. 12 sch. 491 scholars. Pop
Plainfield, p-v., Westfield t., Essex co., N. J., 39 n. e.
Trenton, 206 W. Situated on Green brook, and contains 5
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 2 Friends,
(1 Orthodox and 1 Hicksite,) 4 stores, several mills an
manufactories, an insurance company, a ladies library, an
apprentices' library, and about 150 dwellings.
Plainfield, t., Northampton co., Pa. Blue mountain crosses its
n. part, otherwise it is level soil, gravel. Drained by the e.
brunch of Bushkill cr. It has 4 stores, cap. $13,300; 2
tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in man fac.
$5,500. Pop. 1,501.
Plainfield, p-v., Linton t., Coshocton co., O 81 n. e. Columbus,
329 W. Situated on Wills cr., and contains 1 store, and about
Plainfield, t., Allegan co., Mich. It has 1 furnace, 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $3,500. 3 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 397.
Plainfield, p-o., Livingston co., Mich., 71 w. n. w. Detroit,
Plainfield, p-t., Hendricks co., Ia., 15 w. s. w. Indianapolis,
Plainfield, p-v., Will co., Ill., 173 n. e. Springfield, 750 W.
It has 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, cap. $1,000;
1 flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,800. 4; sch. 160
scholars. Pop. 525.
Plains of Dura, p-o., Sumpter co., Ga., 113; s. w.
Milledgeville, 769 W.
Plainville, p-o., Farmington t., Hartford co., Ct. 13 w. by s.
Hartford, 326 W.
Plainville, p-v., Lysander t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 155 w. by n.
Albany, 360 W. It contains church, 1 store, and about 30
Plainville, p-o., Exeter t., Luzerne co., Pa., 19 n. e.
Harrisburg, 227 W.
Plainville, p-o., Hamilton co., O., 117 w. s. w. Columbus, 489
Plainville, p-o., Allegan co., Mich., 145 w. by n. Detroit, 610
Plaisance, p-o., Rapides par., La., 329 n. w. New Orleans, 1,248
Plaistow, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 37 s. e., Concord, 465 W.
The soil is fertile, being a dark loam mixed with clay and
gravel. Chartered in 1749. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 3 grist
m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,000. 1 acad. 24 students, 4
sch. 185 scholars. Pop. 626.
Planters, t., Phillips co., Ark. It has 2 grist m., 1 saw m. 1
sch. 27 scholars. Pop. 375.
Planters, p-o., Jasper co., Ga., 42 w. n. w. Milledgeville, 649
Planters, p-o., Attala co., Miss., 80 n. e. Jackson, 975 W.
Planter's Hall, p-o., Breckenridge co., Ky., 3 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 664 W.
Plantersville, p-v., Perry co., Ala., 77 s. by Tuscaloosa, 824
Plaquemine, bayou, an outlet of the Mississippi r., 8 ms. below
the mouth of the Iberville, 117 ms. above New Orleans, 96 below
the efflux of Atchafalaya outlet, into which it at length
enters. The waters of the Mississippi only flow into it when
that river approaches its extreme height. In time of high water
it is navigable for vessels and steamboats.
Plaquemine, Parish, La. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and includes the mouths of the Mississippi
proper. It contains about 2,500 sq., ms., The surface is low,
and its s. part not being elevated more than 10 feet in its
highest parts above the level of the Gulf of Mexico, is
therefore liable to submersion. The arable soil, which extremely
productive, is confined wholly to margin of the r. There were in
1840, neat cattle 4,124, sheep 1,832, swine 824; Ind. corn,
100,185 bush, produced, rice 985,800 pounds, sugar 10,329,000;
15 stores, cap. $15,550; 1 distillery, 1 brewery. Cap. in
manufac. $15,000. 1 college, 38 students. Pop. whites 1,551,
slaves 3,385, free col'd 324; total 5,060
Plaquemine, p-v., capital of Iberville par., La., 112 w. n. w.
New Orleans, 1,192 W. Situated o he Mississippi r., on the s.
side of Plaquemine bayou, at its efflux from the r. It contains
a courthouse, 15 stores, and about 250 inhabitants.
Plateau, t., Jefferson co., Mo. Pop. 504.
Plato, p-o., Amherst t., Lorain co., O., 123 n. Columbus, 381 W.
Platte, r., Indian ter., one of the large tributaries of the
Missouri, rises by 2 branches in the Rocky mountains, which
unite 400 ms. from their source, and after an easterly course in
the whole of about 1,600 ms., joins the Missouri 700 ms. from
the Mississippi. Its principal tributaries are the Elkhorn,
entering it near its mouth, and the Loup fork, 90 ms. above. It
is from 1 to 3 ms. broad, and so shallow, that, excepting in
floods, it can be forded in almost any place. It is full of
islands covered with cottonwood, willows, and shrubs, and the
shifting sands in its bed, together with the rapidity of the
current, effectually prevent navigation.
Platte, r., Little, enters the Missouri from the N., 349 ms.
from the Mississippi.
Platte, County, Mo. Situated in the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 420 sq. ms. The Missouri r. runs on
its w. and s. boundary. Watered by Little Platte r. Capital,
Platte City. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,823, sheep
9,339, swine 41,363; wheat 8,616 bush, produced, Ind. corn
456,451, oats 7,117, potatoes 28,518, tobacco 19,589 pounds; 25
stores, cap. $131,350; 4 distilleries, 1 pottery, 9 grist m., 6
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,350. Pop. whites 8,049, slaves 858,
free col'd 6; total, 8,913.
Platte City, p-v., capital of Platte co., Mo. Situated on the w.
side of Little Platte r. It contains a court house, and about
Plattekill, p-t., Ulster co., N. Y., 20 s. Kingston, 85 s. s. w.
Albany, 295 W. The surface is undulating and hilly; soil, clay
and gravelly loam. Drained by Old Man's Kill, and by tributaries
of Wallkill r. The v. contains 2 churches, 2 stores, and about
20 dwellings. There are in the t. 5 stores, cap. $10,000; 2
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,575. 7 sch. 450
scholars. Pop. 2,125.
Platteville. p-v., Grant co., Wis., 78 w. s. w. Madison, 910 W.
Plattsburg, p-t., capital of Clinton co., N. Y., 163 n. Albany,
533 W. The surface is level on the e., hilly and broken on the
w. The soil is various, chiefly clay or sandy loam. Watered by
Saranac r. The v. is situated on both sides of Saranac r., at
its entrance into Cumberland bay, an indentation of Lake
Champlain. Incorporated in 1815. It contains a court house,
jail, county clerk's office, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, a bank, lyceum, an
academy, 30 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 2 cotton fac, 3
woolen fac, 2 saw m., 2 marble m., 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1
machine shop, 2 printing offices, 350 dwellings, and about 2,600
inhabitants. The Saranac has here a succession of falls, about
40 feet total descent, which affords extensive water power. It
contains a United States military post a little s. of the v.
Here a brave defense was made against 14.000 of the best British
troops, under Sir George Prevost, September 11, 1814, and at the
same time the British fleet was captured by Commodore McDonough,
in the bay before the v. There are in the t. 45 stores, cap.
$183,130; 4 fulling m., 3 woolen fee, 2 cotton foe. 12,000 sp.,
1 furnace, 4 forges, 5 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers, 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 25 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $126,255. 2 acad. Ill students, 19 sch. 646 scholars.
Plattsburg, p-v., capital of Clinton co., Mo., 180 w. N. w.
Jefferson City, 1,092 W. Situated on the w. side of Smith's fork
of Little Platte r. It contains a court house, jail, 5 stores,
and about 300 inhabitants.
Pleasant, t., Warren co., Pa. It has 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$5,500. 3 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 190.
Pleasant, t., Hardin co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $12,000; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,200. Pop. 569.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!