Point of Rocks, MD to Port Crane, NY
Point of Rocks, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 92 n. w. Annapolis, 60
Point Peninsula, p-o., Brownsville t., Jefferson co., N. Y.
Point Pleasant, p-o., Monmouth co., N. J., 53 e. Trenton, 219 W.
Point Pleasant, p-v., Tinicum t., Bucks co., Ia., 119 e.
Harrisburg, 181 W. Situated on Delware r., and contains 1 store,
and about 10 or 2 dwellings.
Point Pleasant, p-v., capital of Mason co., Pa., 370 w. n. w.
Richmond, 361 W. Situated n the e. side of Ohio r., at the mouth
of Great Kanawha r. It contains a court house, jail, 50
dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Point Pleasant, p-v., Monroe t., Clermont co., O., 120 s. w.
Columbus, 495 W. Situated on the bank of Ohio r., and contains 2
stores, about 30 dwellings, and 180 inhabitants.
Point Pleasant, p-o., Tippecanoe co., Ia., 73. w. Indianapolis,
Point Pleasant, p-o., Scott co., Iowa.
Point Pleasant, p-o., Wachita par., La., 33. n, w. New Orleans,
Point Prairie, p-o., Franklin co., Ark., 130 w. n. w. Little
Rock, 1,195 W.
Point Republic, p-o., La Salle co., Ill., 116, n. e.
Springfield, 790 W.,
Point Remove, p-o., Conway co., Ark., 51 n. n. e. Little Rock,
Pokagon, t., Cass co., Mich. It has 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. 1,400. 5 sch. 162 scholars. Pop. 516.
Poke Run, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa., 185. W. Harrisburg, 210
Poland, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 51 s. w. Augusta, 574 W.
Bounded n. by Little Androscoggin r., issuing from a large pond
on its w. border. Incorporated in 1795. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grain. Its streams afford water power. It contains a
small v. of Shakers, who possess 600 acres of finely cultivated
land. It has 5 stores, cap. $3,750; 1 lumber yard, cap.,600; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$10,707. 24 sch. 1,052 scholars, Pop. 2,360.
Poland, p-v., Russia t., Herkimer co., N. Y., n. w. Albany, 406
W. Situated on West Canada cr., and contains 1 store, 2 cotton
fac, 1 flouring m., 2 trip-hammer works and edge tool fac., 30
dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Poland, t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 22 s. e. Mayville, 317 w. by
s. Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, sandy and gravely loam.
Drained Connewango cr. and Chautauque outlet. It has 2 stores,
cap. $5,500; 7 tanneries, 1 grist m., saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$50,800. 10 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,087.
Poland, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 73 n. e. Co-lumbus, 284 W.
Drained by Mahoning r., which affords water power.
Poland Centre, p-o., Poland t., Chautauque
Polk, County, Tenn. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 330 sq. ms. Hiwassee r runs on its n.
boundary, by branches of which it is drained. The surface is
mountainous. Capital Bentonville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 3,541, sheep 1,799, swine 10,899; wheat 8,710 bush.
produced, Ind. corn 220,224, oats 24,489, potatoes 5,362,
tobacco 3,620 lbs., cotton 14,883, sugar 1,060; 7 stores, cap.
$22,000; 1 tannery, 4 distilleries, 6 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,410. 2 sch. 301 scholars. Pop. whites 3,249, slaves
301, free col'd 17; total, 3,570.
Polk, County, Mo. Situated s. w. of the centre
of state, and contains 760 sq. ms. Drained by Pomme de Terre,
and Sac and Niangua rivers, which afford water power. Capital,
Bolivar. There were in 1810, neat cattle 11,402, sheep 6,411,
swine 30,515; wheat 12,143 bush, produced, Ind. corn 392,830,
oats 19,042, potatoes 17,902, tobacco 25,650 pounds, cotton
29,823; 14 stores, cap. $42,630; 2 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 10
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,510. 5 sch. 93 scholars.
Pop. whites 7,978, slaves 462, free col'd 9; total, 8,449.
Pollock's, p o., Randolph co., Ill., 131 s. Springfield, 841 W.
Pollopsville, p-v., Jones co., N. C.
Posley's Mills, p-o., Monongalia co., Va.,278 n. w. Richmond,
Pomaria, p-o., Newberry dist., S. C, 26 w. n. w. Columbia, 507
Pomeroy, p-v., Meigs co., O., 101 s. e. Columbus, 340 W.
Pomfret, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 49 s. Montpelier, 490 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile. Queechee r. passes
through its s. e., and White r. through its n. w. corner, by
small branches of which it is drained. It has a Congregational,
a Baptist, and a Methodist church. There are in the t. 2 stores,
capital $35,000; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 1 saw
m., 31 sch. 610 scholars. Population 1,774.
Pomfret, p-t., Windham co., Ct., 41 e. Hartford, 377 W. The
surface is pleasantly diversified; soil, deep, strong, and
fertile, adapted to grazing. Quinnebaug r. runs on its e.
border, by branches of which it is drained. It contains 5
churches, 2 Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Friends. It has 7 stores, cap. $29,300; 3 cotton fac. 3,550 sp.,
2 tanneries, 5 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $113,575. 1
acad. 35 students, 11 sch. 493 scholars. Pop. 1,868.
Pomfret Landing, p-o., Pomfret t., Windham co., Ct., 43 e.
Hartford, 376 W.
Pomfret, t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 12 n. e. Mayville, 315 w.
Albany. Lake Erie bounds it on the n. The surface is hilly;
soil, a fertile argillaceous, gravelly, and sandy loam. Drained
by Cassadaga cr., flowing s. into Alleghany r., and small
streams flowing n. into Lake Erie. It contains Dunkirk v., where
the New York and Erie railroad is to terminate. It contains also
Van Buren harbor. There are in the t. 5 commission houses, cap.
$5,000; 28 stores, capital $95,000; 4 fulling m., 1 woolen fac,
5 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2
weekly newspapers, 1 periodical, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 15
saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $152,251. 1 acad. 250
students, 27 sch. 1,411 scholars. Pop. 4,566.
Pomme de Terre, r., Mo., rises in Greene co. and flows n. into
Pomme de Terre, p-o., Jasper co., Mo., 172 s. w. Jefferson City,
Pomonkey, p-o., Charles co., Md., 67 s. w. Annapolis, 27 W.
Pompey, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 14 s. e. Syracuse, 125 w. by
n. Albany, 337 W. The surface is hilly; soil, a fertile sandy
and clay loam. Drained by Limestone cr. and Toughnioga r. It has
10 stores, cap. $54,000; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 flouring m.,
3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $43,150. 1 acad. 127
students, 28 sch. 1,350 scholars. Pop. 4,371.
Pompey Centre, p-o., Pompey t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 113 w. by
n. Albany, 317 W.
Pompey Hill, v., Pompey t., Onondaga co., N. Y. It is on
elevated ground, and contains 2 churches, an academy, 5 stores,
75 dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants.
Pompton, r., N. J., is formed by the junction of Pequannock,
Ringwood, and Ramapo rivers, and dividing Passaic from Morris
County, it flows 8 ms. into the Passaic. The Morris canal
crosses it, 2 ms. above its mouth, in a wooden aqueduct, 236
feet long, on 9 stone piers.
Pompton, p-v., Pequannoc t., Morris co., N. J., 84 n. e.
Trenton, 253 W. It contains a Dutch Reformed church, a store, 4
grist m., a furnace, and about 25 dwellings.
Pompton, t., Passaic co., N. J., 23 n. w. Hackensack. The
surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, clay and loam. Drained
by Ringwood r. It has several ponds. Iron ore is found. The v.
contains a Dutch Reformed church, 3 stores, an academy, and
about 35 dwellings. There are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 1
furnace, 8 forges, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 11,255.
5 sch. 186 scholars. Pop. 1,437.
Pond Creek, p-o., Monroe co., Tenn., 166 e. s. e. Nashville, 539
Pondsville, p-o., Moriah t., Essex co., N. Y., 107 n. Albany,
Pondtown, p-o., Sumpter co., Ga., 102 s. w. Milledgeville, 758
Pontchartrain, lake, La., 40 ms. long and 25 ms. broad,
communicates with Lake Maurepas on the w., with Lake Borgne,
through the Rigolets, on the e., and with New Orleans, on the
s., through St. John's bayou and a canal. It is 16 or 18 feet
deep in its deepest parts, but near the shore not more than 9
feet. It receives several considerable rivers on its n. side,
the largest of which are Tangipahoa and Tchefuncte.
Pontotoc, County, Miss. Situated toward the n.
e. part of the state, and contains 900 sq. ms. Drained by
Tallahatchee r. and its branches, and by branches of the w. fork
of Tombigbee r. Capital, Pontotoc. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 6,203, sheep 932, swine 12,365; wheat 8,783 bush
produced, lnd. corn 167,845, oats 8,140, potatoes 4,130, cotton
145,953; 7 stores, cap. $23,900; 2 tanneries, 10 grist m., 7 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$23,646. 1 acad. 30 students, 3 sch. 86 scholars. Pop. whites
2,895, slaves 1,593, free col'd 3; total 4,491.
Pontotoc, p-v., capital of Pontotoc co., Miss., 175 n. n. e.
Jackson, 838 W. It contains a court house, jail, a United States
land office, and about 500 inhabitants.
Pontiac, p-t., capital of Oakland co, Mich., 25 n. w. Detroit,
549 W. The v. is situated on Clinton r. It contains a court
house, jail, a branch of the University, a Congregational
church, a bank, 13 stores, 2 flouring m., 2 saw m., 1 fulling
m., 1 iron foundry, 2 priming offices, each issuing a weekly
newspaper, and about 1,000 inhabitants. A railroad connects it
with Detroit. The t. has 13 stores, cap. $51,200; 2 fulling m.,
1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 9 sch. 456 scholars. Population 1,904.
Pontiac, p-v., capital of Livingston co., Ill., 110 n. n. E.
Springfield, 737 W. It contains a court house, jail, and several
Poolville, p-v., Hamilton t., Madison co., N. Y., 95 w. by n.
Albany, 355 W. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1
grist m., 1 leather fac, 30 dwellings, and about 250
Poolsville, p-v., Montgomery co., Md., 73 w. n. w. Annapolis, 33
Poolsville, p-v., Spartanburg dist., S. C 107 n. w. Columbia,
Poolsville, p-v., De Kalb co., Ga., 91n. w. Milledgeville, 636
Poolsville, p-v., Warren co., Ia., 83 w. n. w. Indianapolis, 641
Pope, County, Ill. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Ohio r. runs on its e.
and s. border. Drained by Big Bay, Lusk's, Great Pierre, and
Rock creeks. The surface is level; soil, sandy loam, and
fertile. Capital, Golconda. There were in 1840, neat cattle
5,936, sheep 5,350, swine 6,041; wheat 1,246 bush, produced, lnd.
corn 36,908, oats 6,930, potatoes 1,444, tobacco 15,700 pounds;
6 stores, cap. $50,000; 2 tanneries, 10 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap,
in manufac. $3,200. 21 sch. 468 scholars. Pop 4,094.
Pope, County, Ark. Situated toward the s. part
of the state, and contains 720 sq. ma. Arkansas r. runs on its
s. border. Drained by small streams flowing into the Arkansas r.
It has n range of highlands on its n. border. Capital. Dover.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,143 sheep 1,178, swine 10,356;
wheat 3,418 bush produced, lnd. corn 121,874, oats 2,730,
potatoes 7,102, tobacco 13,576 pounds, cotton 82,314. I stores,
cap. $16,450; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 5 grist m., 4 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $14,650. sch. 78 scholars. Pop. whites 2,626,
slaves 2,115 free col'd 9; total, 2,850.
Pope Creek, p-o., Mercer co., Ill., 140 n. n. w. Springfield,
Poplar, p-o., Crawford co., O., 75 n. Columbus, 419 W.
Poplar Branch, p-o., Currituck co., N C., 242 e. n. e. Raleigh,
Poplar Camp, p-o., Franklin co., Va., 171 w by s. Richmond, 246
Poplar Creek, p-o., Roane co., Tenn., 153 e by s. Nashville, 534
Poplar Flat, p-o., Lewis co., Ky., 97 e. s. e. Frankfort, 476 W.
Poplar Grove, p-o., Newberry dist. S. C, 5 w. n. w. Columbia,
Poplar Grove, p-o., Iredell co., N. C, 154 w Raleigh, 391 W.
Poplar Grove, p-o., Sussex co., Va., 61 s. s. e. Richmond, 180
Poplar Grove, p-o., Blount co., Ala., 124 e. Tuscaloosa, 719 W.
Poplar Grove, p-o., Owen co., Ky., 42 n. Frankfort, 537 W.
Poplar Grove, p-o., Gibson co., Tenn., 144 w. Nashville, 827 W.
Poplar Hill, p-o., Giles co., Va., 234 w. b s. Richmond, 294 W.
Poplar Hill, p-o., Anson co., N. C, 151 s. w. Raleigh, 420 W.
Poplar Mount, p-o., Greenville co., Va., 63 s. Richmond, 182 W.
Situated on the s. side c Nottaway r.
Poplar Plains, p-v., Fleming co., Ky., 96 e. by n. Frankfort,
493 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, and about 300
Poplar Ridge, p-o., Venice t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 163 w. Albany,
Poplar Springs, p-o., Anne Arundel co., m 57 n. w. Annapolis, 62
Poplar Springs, p-o., Fairfield dist., S. C., 35 n. Columbia,
Poplar Valley, p-o., Chambers co., Ala., 164 e. by s.
Tuscaloosa, 778 W.
Poplin, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 29 s. Concord, 477 W. The
surface is gently uneven soil, generally fertile. Drained by
Exeter r. Incorporated in 1764. It has 1 store, cap. $1.000; 2
grist m., 3 saw m. 4 sch. 135. scholars. Pop. 129.
Poquetanock, p-v., Preston t., New London co., Ct., 43 s. e.
Hartford, 361 W. Situated at the head of a cove, 2 ms. from
Thames r. It has 1Episcopal church, over the line, in Ledyard, 4
stores, and about 35 dwellings. Ship timber is exported. Sloops
come, at high water, within half a m. of the v. The inhabitants
are extensively engaged in seafaring business.
Poquonock, p-v., Windsor t., Hartford co., Ct., n. Hartford, 346
W. Situated on the s. side of Farmington r., and contains a
Baptist church, several manufactories and dwellings.
Porpoise, rape, York co., Me., forms the harbor f Kennebunk.
Portage, r., O., rises in the s. w. corner of Wood co., and
enters Lake Erie at Port Clinton. affords good water power, and
drains the Black swamp, an unhealthy region, but which, if
suitably drained, which is said to be easy, would make very
Portage, County, O. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 500 sq. ms. Drained by Portage r.,
and branches of Mahoning r. The surface is gently uneven; soil,
fertile, adapted to grain and to grazing. The Pennsylvania and
Ohio canal passes through the co. Capital, Ravenna. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 21,922, sheep 28,894, swine 8,550; wheat
112,144 bush, produced, rye 9,497, Ind. corn 113,370, buckwheat
331, oats 119,624, potatoes 112,743, sugar 258,038 pounds; 33
stores, cap. $113,229; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 11 tanneries,
2 distilleries, 1 pottery, grist m., 41 saw m., 2 printing
offices, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $90,069. 2 acad.,
101 students, 143 sch. 5,077 scholars. Pop. 22,965.
Portage, County, Wis. Situated in the n. part
of the ter., and is very extensive and mostly surveyed. It is
level in the s., mountainous in the n. Watered by Wisconsin r.
and its branches, Capital, Fort Winnebago. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 372, swine 127; wheat 1,815 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 293, oats 1,018, potatoes 539; 9 stores, cap. $57,550; 14
saw m. Cap. manufac. $92,500. 1 sch. 19 scholars. Pop. 623.
Portage, t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 18 n. Angelica, 247 w. by s.
Albany. The surface is elevated and rolling; soil, fertile,
particularly on Genesee r., which flows through it. It contains
Genesee Falls, where the r. in the distance of 2 ms. descends
300 feet, creating an immense water power. The Genesee Valley
canal passes rough it. It has 18 stores, cap. $40,800; 2 fulling
m., 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 18 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $47,375. sch. 1,071 scholars. Pop. 4,721.
Portage, t., Ottawa co., O. Pop. 347.
Portage, p-t., Wood co., O., Ill n. n. w. Columbus, 467 W.
Situated on the s. side of Maumee r. Drained by Portage r. The
v. is situated on the n. bank of Portage r., which affords water
power. It was laid out in 1836, and contains 2 stores, various
mechanic shops, and a number of dwellings. The t, contains 199
Portage, t, Hancock co., O. It has 1 grist. 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,500. 6 sch. I scholars. Pop. 676.
Portage, t., Summit co., O. The surface is even; soil, fertile,
adapted to grain. It contains a former portage between Cuyahoga
and Tuscarawas rivers, which passed through this t., and
Coventry s. of it. Akron v., the capital of t co., lies in its
s. e. part. Pop. 718. (For statistics, see Akron.)
Portage, p-v., St. Joseph co., Ia. Drained by St. Joseph's r.
The v. is situated on the w. side of St. Joseph's r.
Portage, p-t, Kalamazoo co., Mich., 147 w. by s. Detroit, 611 W.
It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 5 sch. 118
scholars. Pop. 446.
Portage des Sioux, p-v., St, Charles co., Mo., 122 e. n. e.
Jefferson City, 831 W. Situated on w. side of the Mississippi r.
5 ms. below the mouth of Illinois r. It contains from 3 to 400
inhabitants, chiefly French.
Portageville, p-v., Portage t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 262 w. by
s. Albany, 357 W. Situated on the w. side of Genesee r., on the
line of the Genesee Valley canal, and contains 5 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 2 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Universalist, 10
stores, 1 grist m., 5 saw m., 2 sash fac, 1 tannery, 1
clothier's works 100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants. The
canal here crosses the r. in an aqueduct. The falls and scenery
in the vicinity, are in a high degree picturesque.
Port Alleghany, p-v., McKean co., Pa., 192 n. n. w. Harrisburg,
275 W. Situated on the s. w. side of Alleghany r.
Port Byron, p-v., Mentz t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 158 w. by n.
Albany, 341 W. Situated on the Erie canal. Incorporated in 1837,
and contains 3 churches, 10 stores, 1 flouring m., with 12 run
of stones, 4 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 2 tanneries, 150
dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants.
Port Byron, p-v., Rock Island co., Ill., 160 n. n. w.
Springfield, 890 W. Situated on the e. side of Mississippi r.
Port Carbon, p-v., Branch t., Schuylkill co., Pa., 65 n. e.
Harrisburg, 175 W. It has been created by the coal trade. In
1829, it contained a single house surrounded by forest. In 1830,
it contained 100 dwellings, and 912 inhabitants. It is situated
at the junction of Mill cr. with Schuylkill r., at the head of
canal navigation, and though its growth has been less rapid than
at first, it is still a place of much business.
Port Chester, p-v., Rye t., Westchester co., N. Y., 136 s.
Albany, 255 W. Situated on the w. side of Byram r. Incorporated
in 1833, and contains 1 Presbyterian, and 1 Methodist church, 2
boarding schools, 1 for boys, and 1 for young ladies, 20 stores,
1 dyewood m., 1 iron foundry, 1 hat fac, 2 carriage fac, 100
dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. Six sloops and schooners
are owned here, and a steamboat plies daily to New York.
Port Clinton, p-v., Brunswick t., Schuylkill co., Pa., 69 n. e.
Harrisburg, 167 W. Situated at the confluence of Little
Schuylkill with Schuylkill r., above the Water Gap, in Blue
mountain. A railroad extends 23 ms. to Tuscarora and Mauch Chunk
mountain coal-fields, and the Schuylkill canal passes through
the place. It therefore shares largely in the coal trade.
Port Clinton, p-v., capital of Ottawa co., O. 120 n. Columbus,
428 W. Situated on the s. side of Portage r., at its mouth. Laid
out in 1827, with spacious streets, crossing each other at right
angles. It has a good harbor, with a light-house at its
entrance. It contains a court house, jail, several stores, 1
steam saw m. and grist m., various mechanic shops, 50 dwellings,
and about 300 inhabitants.
Port Colden, p-v., Warren co., N. J., 50 n. n. w. Trenton, 209
Port Conway, p-v., King Georges co., Va 84 n. n. e. Richmond, 78
Port Crane, p-o., Broome co N. Y.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!