Port Deposit, MD to Potts Grove, PA
Port Deposit, p-v., Cecil co., Md., 63 n. e. Annapolis, 78 W.
Situated on the e. side of Susquehanna r., at the lower falls, 5
ms. above Havre de Grace, at the mouth of the r.
Port Elizabeth, p-v., Maurice River t., Cumberland co., N. J.,
73 s. s. w. Trenton, 184 W. Situated on Manamuskin cr. near its
entrance into Maurice r., 14 ms. from Delaware bay. It contains
a Baptist church, an academy, 4 stores, 1 glass fac, 4 grist m.,
3 saw m. in the vicinity, and 100 dwellings. Vessels of 120 tons
come to the place, and wood and lumber are extensively exported.
Porter, County, Ia. Situated in the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 415 sq. ms. Lake Michigan bounds it
on the n. The land on the lake is elevated and barren; but level
and more fertile s. Drained by Calumic r. and Coffee and Salt
creeks. On Kankakee r., which runs on its s. border, the land is
marshy. Capital, Valparaiso. There were in 1840, neat cattle
3,002, sheep 1,188, swine 7,220; wheat 30,712 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 60,444, buckwheat 1,740, oats 53,312, potatoes 17,673,
sugar 16,406; 4 stores, cap. $4,500; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7
saw m. Cap. in manufac. §21,600. 8 sch. 182 scholars. Pop.
Porter, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 86 s. w. Augusta, 543 W. Ossipee
r. bounds it on the s., and N. H. on the w. Incorporated in
1807. It is the s. w. town in the co. It has 1 tannery, 3 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $100. 7 sch. 483 scholars. Pop.
Porter, t., Niagara co., N. Y., 16 n. w. Lockport, 7 n.
Lewiston, 300 W. Albany. The surface is level; soil, sandy and
argillaceous loam. Drained by Tuscarora cr., flowing into Lake
Ontario, which bounds it on the n. Niagara r. bounds it on the
w. In the extreme n. w. part of the t., at the mouth of the r.,
stands old Fort Niagara, and directly opposite, on the Canada
side, stands Fort George. It contains Youngstown v. Fort Niagara
was taken by the British in Dec. 1813, and delivered up in
March, 1815. It has 11 stores, cap. $41,015; 1 tannery, 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $2,495. 1 acad. 22 students, 8 sch. 481
scholars. Pop. 2,177.
Porter, t., Delaware co., O. Watered by Walnut cr. It has 4 sch.
66 scholars. Pop. 678.
Porter, t., Scioto co., O. It has 4 sch. 132 scholars. Pop.
Porter, t, Jefferson co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $7,000. Pop. 977.
Porter, t., Cass co., Mich. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,152. 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 556.
Porterfield, p-o., Venango co., Pa., 206 w. N. w. Harrisburg,
Porter Ridge, p-o., Susquehanna co., Pa.
Porter's, p-o., Carroll co., Md., 53 n. n. w. Annapolis, 63 W.
Porter's Corners, p-o., Greenfield t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 43
n. n. w. Albany, 413 W.
Porter's Ferry, p-o., Early co., Ga., 221 s. w. Milledgeville,
Porter's Swamp, p-o., Columbus co., N. C, 117 s. Raleigh, 405 W.
Portersville, p-v., Montville t., New London co., Ct., 55 s. E.
Hartford, 361 W.
Portersville, p-v., Muddy Creek t., Butler co., Pa., 218 w. n.
w. Harrisburg, 260 W. It contains a store, and about 12
Portersville, p-v., Tipton co., Tenn., 214 w. s. w. Nashville,
Portersville, p-v., Dubois co., Ia., 124 s. s. w Indianapolis,
664 W. Situated on the s. bank of the e. fork of White r. It was
formerly the capital of the co.
Port Gibson, p-v., Manchester t., Ontario co N. Y., 189 w.
Albany, 337 W. Situated on the Erie canal, and contains 1
church, 4 stores, 1 warehouse, 1 distillery, 25 dwellings, and
about 200 inhabitants.
Port Gibson, p-v., capital of Claiborne co. Miss., 45 n.
Natchez, 72 s. w. Jackson, 1,082 W. Situated on Pierre Bayou, 30
ms. above its entrance into Mississippi r.
Port Glasgow, p-o., Huron t., Wayne co. N. Y., 186 w. n. w.
Albany, 366 W.
Port Henry, p-v., Moriah t., Essex co. N Y., 118 n. Albany, 489
W. Situated on the w. side of Lake Champlain, and has a good
steam-boat landing. It contains 1 church, 1 female seminary, 3
stores, 35 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. An iron
company, incorporated in 1840, have 2 blast furnaces, cupola
furnace, and 1 machine shop. Excellent iron ore is found
abundantly in the vicinity.
Port Homer, p-v., Jefferson co., O.
Port Hudson, p-v., E. Feliciana par., La, 146 n. w. New Orleans,
Port Huron, p-t., St. Clair co., Mich., 59 .n e. Detroit, 583 W.
The v. is situated at the confluence of Black r. and St. Clair
r., 2 miles from Lake Huron, and contains 12 stores, 1 steam saw
m., a steam flouring m., 1 tannery, a printing, office, which
issues a weekly newspaper. Its business is considerable,
particularly in lumber There are in the t. 4 sch. 75 scholars.
Port Jackson, p-v., Florida t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 33 w. n.
w. Albany, 400 W. Situated on the s. side of Mohawk r., on the
Erie and contains 1 church, 5 stores, 40 dwellings, and about
Port Jefferson, p-v., Brookhaven t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 202 s.
s. e. Albany, 282 W. Situated, at the head of Drowned Meadow
harbor, and contains 50 dwellings and about 300 inhabitants
employed chiefly in ship building and navigation
Port Jervis, p-v., Deerpark t., Orange co. N Y., 117 s. s. w.
Albany, 264 W. Situated on the n. e. side of Delaware r., on the
Delaware and Hudson canal. It contains 2 churches, 4 stores. 1
grist m., 30 dwellings, and about 250 inhabit ants.
Port Kendall, p-o., Kendall t., Orleans co. N. Y.
Port Kent, p-v., Chesterfield t., Essex co., N Y., 12 s.
Plattsburg, 151 n. by E. Albany, 581 W. Situated on the w. side
of Lake Champlain and contains 1 church, 3 stores, 2 warehouses,
3l dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. A steam ferry-boat runs
between this place and Burlington, Vt.
Portland, city, port of entry, and capital of Cumberland co.,
Me., is situated on a peninsula at the western extremity of
Casco bay, and is in 43° 39' n. lat., and 7° 20' w. Ion., from
Greenwich, and 6° 45' e. from Washington. It is 54 ms. n. n. e.
from Portsmouth, 50 s. s. e. Augusta 110 n. n. E. from Boston,
545 n. e. from w. The population in 1800 was 3,677; in 1810,
7,169 in 1820, 11,581; in 1830, 12,601; in 1840, 15,316 Engaged
in commerce, 397; in manufacture and trades, 1,032; navigating
the ocean, 726 in the learned professions, &c, 101. It extend 3
miles from east to west, and has an averaging width of three
fourths of a mile. The city presents a beautiful appearance from
the sea, as rises like an amphitheatre between two hills, is
regularly laid out, and handsomely built, and has some fine
public buildings, among which are a court house, a spacious city
hall, a jail, and 16 churches. It has also a custom house, 6
banks, a theatre, and an athenaeum, containing a library of
about 4,000 volumes. It has a light-house on a point at the
entrance of the harbor, called Portland Head, which is of stone,
72 feet high, built in 1790. On an eminence, on which Fort
Sumner formerly stood, there is an observatory, 70 feet high,
which commands a fine view of the harbor and its islands. The
harbor, which is among the best in the United States, is easy of
entrance, spacious, and safe, being protected by elands at its
entrance from the violence of storms. It is rarely obstructed
much by ice. It is defended on opposite sides of the ship
channel by forts Preble and Scammel, on islands a mile and 1
half from the light-house. It is well situated for trade, having
an extensive back country. There were in 1840, 40 commercial and
8 commission houses, with a cap. of $658,500; 256 retail stores,
with a cap. of $574,450; 2 lumber yards, cap. $4,000; fisheries,
cap. $11,300; machinery produced, $3,000; 1 furnace, cap.
$5,000; 2 tanneries, cap. $9,000; 2 potteries, cap. $4.000; 2
ropewalks, cap. $18,000; 9 printing offices, 5 binderies, 2
daily, 7 weekly, 3 semi-weekly newspapers, and 3 periodicals,
employed 94 persons, and a cap. of $34,500. Total capital in
manufac. $215,350. 11 acad. and gram. sch. 1,118 students, 12
com. sch. 1,976 scholars. The tonnage of this city in 1840 was
50,135, and that of the coasting trade about 20,000 tons. The
principal articles of export are lumber and fish, with beef,
butter, &c. The facilities of communication which this city
enjoys have been considerably increased by the Oxford canal,
which extends from it 20 miles to Sebago pond; and, by a lock in
Songo River, is extended into Brady and Long ponds, 30 miles
further. The trade of the city is chiefly with the West Indies
and Europe, and its coasting trade primarily, though not
exclusively, with Boston. With the latter place it is connected
by railroad. Portland was formerly a part of Falmouth, and 130
houses, constituting two thirds of the village, were laid in
ashes by the British, in October, 1775. It was incorporated with
its present name in 1786, and received a city charter in 1832.
Portland, p-t., Middlesex co., Ct., 15 s. Hartford, 327 W.
Recently taken from the n. part Chatham. Connecticut r. bounds
it on the w.,
Portland, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 7 s. Maysville, 332 w. by
s. Albany, 352 W. Lake Erie bounds it on the n. The surface is
hilly; soil, argillaceous and sandy loam. Its streams, which are
small, flow into Lake Erie. It has a good harbor. It has 2
stores, cap. $9,500; 1 fulling, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2
grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,282. 14 sch. 716
scholars. Pop. 2,136.
Portland, p-v., Dallas co., Ala., 94 s. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 869 W.
Situated on s. side of Alabama r.
Portland, t., Erie co., O. Situated on the s. ore of Sandusky
bay, and contains Sandusky City. It has 18 stores, cap. $40,500;
6 commission houses, cap. $35,000; 1 printing office, 1 bindery,
1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m. Cap. manufac. $7,000. 4 sch.
200 scholars. Pop. 33.
Portland, p-t., Ionia co., Mich. 123 w. n. w. Detroit, 617 W. It
has 2 stores, cap. $3,800; 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,200. 2 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 511.
Portland, p-v., Jefferson co., Ky., 52 w. Frankfort, 598 W.
Situated on Ohio r., immediately below Louisville.
Portland, p-v., Fountain co., Ia., 74 w. n. w. Indianapolis, 645
W. Situated on Wabash r. It contains 1 church, 5 stores, various
mechanic shops, and about 200 inhabitants.
Portland, p-v., Whitesides co., Ill., 177 n. by w. Springfield,
Portland, p-v., Van Buren co., Iowa.
Portland, p-v., Callaway co., Mo., 31 e. n. e. Jefferson City,
Portland Mills, p-o., Putnam co., Ia., 51 w. Indianapolis, 623
Port Leon, p-v., Leon co., Flor., 22 s. Tallahassee. Situated on
the e. side of Wakulla r. It contains 150 buildings, principally
Port Mahon, p-v., Huntington co., Ia., 114 n. n. e.
Indianapolis, 562 W.
Port Ontario, p-v., port of entry, Kirkland t., Oswego co., N.
Y., 170 w. n. w. Albany, 392 W. Situated on Salmon r., at its
entrance into the e. end of Lake Ontario. It contains 1 church,
1 store, 3 forwarding houses, 40 dwellings, and about 300
inhabitants. It has a good harbor, protected by a pier, built by
the government of the U. S.
Port Penn, p-v., Newcastle co., Del., 39 n. Dover, 134 W.
Situated on the w. side of Delaware r., opposite to Reedy
Port Republic, p-v., Atlantic co., N. J., 81 s. Trenton, 191 W.
Port Republic, p-v., Calvert co., Md., 51 s. by w. Annapolis, 81
Port Republic, p-v., Rockingham co., Va., 121 n. w. Richmond,
Port Royal, p-v., Juniata co., Pa., 46 w. Harrisburg, 134 W.
Port Royal, p-v., Henry co., Ky.
Port Royal, p-v., Montgomery co., Tenn., 43 n. w. Nashville, 725
W. Situated on the s. side of Sulphur creek, at its entrance
into Red r., a branch of Cumberland r.
Port Sheldon, p-v., Ottowa co., Mich., 200 w. n. w. Detroit, 681
W. Situated on Lake Michigan, at the mouth of Pigeon cr.
Portsmouth, p-t., and port of entry in Rockingham co., in N. H.,
is situated in 43° 5' n. lat., and 70° 45' w. Ion., from
Greenwich, and 6° 23' e. Ion. from Washington. It is 14 miles e.
n. e. from Exeter, 24 n. from Newburyport, 45 e. s. e. from
Concord, 54 s. s. w. from Portland, 54 n. from Boston, and 493
from W. The population in 1810 was 6,934; in 1820, 7,327; in
1830, 8,082; in 1840, 7,887. It is the largest town and the only
seaport in the state, situated on a peninsula on the s. side of
the Piscataqua r., 3 ms. from the ocean. The situation is
pleasant and healthy, the land rising gradually from the harbor.
It is well built, and many of the houses are elegant. It has a
fine harbor, with 40 feet of water in the channel at low tide,
and is protected by its islands and headlands from storms. The
Piscataqua, opposite the t., is from one half to three fourths
of a mile wide; and the tide, which here rises 10 feet, flows
with so rapid a current as to keep the harbor free from ice. The
main channel is on the E. side of Great island, or Newcastle,
and is defended by Fort Constitution, on Great island, and Fort
McClary, in Kittery, opposite. There are also Fort Sullivan and
Fort Washington on two other islands, which are not garrisoned
in time of peace. There is also an entrance on the s. side of
Great Island, called Little Harbor, but the water is shallow.
There is a light-house on Great Island. This island contains 458
acres, and constitutes the t. of Newcastle, and it is connected
to Portsmouth by a bridge, erected in 1821. Portsmouth is also
connected to Kittery by 2 bridges, one of which is 1,750, and
the other 480 feet in length. On Navy Island, which is on the e.
side of the r., and within the bounds of Maine, though it is
owned by the general government, is a navy yard belonging to the
United States, which has every convenience for the construction
of vessels of the largest class. Good water is brought into the
town, and distributed through the streets, from the distance of
3 miles, by a company, formed in 1799. Portsmouth contains much
wealth, and has considerable trade, though its back country is
somewhat, limited. Much of the trade of the state flows to
Portland, and more, probably, through the Merrimac River and
Middlesex canal to Boston. This will furnish a reason why the
population has diminished during the last 10 years. Among the
public buildings are 8 churches, 7 banking houses, a court
house, 2 market houses, an academy, an athenaeum, an almshouse,
and the state lunatic hospital. The Episcopal church is a
spacious and elegant brick edifice, from the cupola on which
there is a fine view of the town, the river, the islands, and
the sur-rounding country. The Atheneum, a very flourishing
institution, was incorporated in 1817, and has a library of more
than 5,000 volumes, besides cabinets of minerals and of natural
Ship building and other manufactures are carried on to a
considerable extent. The cod and other fisheries are actively
prosecuted, and Ports-mouth has considerable foreign and
coasting trade. The tonnage of the port in 1840 was 27,375.
There were in 1840, 18 foreign commercial and 6 commission
houses, with a capital of $1,251,500; 137 retail stores, with a
capital of $278,500; 6 lumber yards, cap. $11,000; fisheries,
cap. $10,600; 4 furnaces, cap. $46,000; 1 woolen factory, cap.
$30,00 ); 5 tanneries, cap. $15,700; 2 distilleries, cap.
$5,000; 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 1 saw m., total cap. $15,000;
1 ropewalk, cap. $6,000; 3 printing offices, 3 binderies, 2
weekly newspapers, employed 18 per-sons, and a cap. of $9,100.
Total cap. in manufac. $187,101. 3 acad. 188 students, 16 common
sch. with 2,222 scholars.
This town was first settled in 1623 and was incorporated by
charter in 1633. It suffered less than most other places from
the attacks of the savages in early times. Surrounded on three
sides by water, the neck which connects it with the main land
was defended by a stockaded fence, by means of which savage
aggression was easily resisted. This place has been at different
times severely visited by fires. In December, 1802, 102
buildings were burned; in December, 1806, 14 buildings,
including St. John's Episcopal Church, were destroyed; in
December, 1813, a more desolating fire swept over 15 acres,
destroying 397 buildings, of which 100 were dwelling houses. The
parts which were burned in these fires have generally been
rebuilt with brick, in an improved form.
Portsmouth, p-t., Newport co., R. I., 7 n. w. Newport, 24 s. e.
Providence, 417 W., occupy-ing the n. part of the island of
Rhode Island. The surface is moderately elevated; soil, a fer-tile
gravelly and argillaceous loam, adapted to grass and to grain,
and well cultivated. Being surrounded by water on 3 sides, it
enjoys great facilities for navigation, and its fisheries are
valuable. Its vessels are chiefly employed in the coasting
trade. It contains 2 churches. Coal and plumbago are found.
Several adjoining islands are attached to this t., the largest
of which is Prudence, 6 miles long and three fourths of a mile
wide, the soil of which is excellent. Ports-mouth is connected
with Tiverton by a bridge, and with Bristol by a ferry. There
are in the L. 4 stores, cap. $15,500; 2 lumber yards, cap.
$3,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 5 grist m. Cap. in manufac.
Portsmouth, p-v , port of entry, with Norfolk, and capital of
Norfolk co., Va., 105 e. s. e. Rich-mond, 213 W. Situated on the
w. side of Elizabeth r., at its mouth, opposite to Norfolk, 1
mile distant, and has one of the best harbors in the United
States. Ships of the largest class come to its wharves. It
contains a court house, jail, 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, a
branch of the Bank of Virginia, a Masonic hall, a theatre, a
military academy, 50 stores, and 6,500 inhabitants. A United
States navy yard, dry-dock, and naval hospital, are located at
Gosport, a suburb of Portsmouth. By means of the Portsmouth and
Roanoke railroad, and the Wilmington railroad, a daily line of
communication is formed with Charleston.
Portsmouth, p-v., capital of Scioto co., O., 90 s. Columbus, 424
W. Situated on the e. bank of Scioto r., at its entrance into
Ohio r., and at the termination of the Ohio canal. It contains a
court house, market house, jail, 3 or 4 churches, a bank, a
steam saw m. and grist m., 1 flouring m., 1 rolling and slitting
m., 1 nail fac, 1 iron foundry, 1 carding machine, a printing
office, 25 or 30 stores, 7 commission warehouses, numerous
mechanic shops, 200 dwellings, and about 1,500 inhabitants. As a
place of business, its situation is commanding. Iron ore,
mineral coal, and fine building stone, are found abundantly in
Portsmouth, p-v., Carteret co., N. C. Situated on the n. end of
Core bank, near Ocracoke inlet. Chiefly inhabited by fishermen
Port Tobacco, p-v., capital of Charles co., Md., 72 s. w.
Annapolis, 32 W. Situated at the head of a bay which sets up
from Potomac r., into which a small r. empties. It contains a
court house, jail, a church, several stores, 120 dwellings, and
about 600 inhabitants.
Portville, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 24 e. Ellicottville,
296 Albany. The surface is broken; soil, sandy loam. Drained by
Alleghany r. and its branches. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 1
grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,100. 5 sch. 130
scholars. Pop. 462.
Port Washington, p-v., Salem t., Tuscarawas co., O., 99 e. n. e.
Columbus, 318 W. Pleasantly situated on the Ohio canal,
adjoining the Tuscarawas r. It contains 2 or 3 stores, 4
warehouses, various mechanic shops, 30 dwellings, and about 200
inhabitants. A fine bridge here crosses the Tuscarawas r.
Port William, p-o., Franklin co., Mo.
Posey, county, Ia. Situated in the s. w. corner
of the state, and contains 450 sq. ms. Ohio r. runs on its s.
border, and Wabash r. on its w border. Drained by Big and Flat
creeks. The surface is undulating; soil, fertile. Capital, Mount
Vernon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,973, sheep 9,521,
swine 35,818; wheat 55,103 bushels produced, rye 1,821, Indian
corn 607,799, barley 1,500, oats 66,157, potatoes 7,811; 28
store. $253,500; 4 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 7 flouring m. 10
grist m., 9 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $9y,030. 10 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 9,633.
Posey, t., Clay co., Ia. It has 5 stores, capita, $4,850; 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap in manufac. $4,200. 2 sch.
68 scholars. Pop 1.201
Posey, t., Harrison co., Ia. It has 3 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1
saw m., 1 academy 90 student Pop. 1,374.
Posey, t., Fayette co., Ia. It has 2 schools 46 scholars. Pop.
Posey, t., Rush co., Ia. It has 2 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 735.
Posey, t., Washington co., Ia. It has 8 stores, cap. $8,000; 1
flouring m., 1 grist m. 1 saw m., 4 sch. 90 scholars. Pop.
Posey, t., Switzerland co., Ia. It has 145 scholars in schools.
Post Mills Village, p-v., Orange co., Vt., 39 s. by e.
Montpelier, 503 W.
Post Oak Springs, p-o., Roane co., Tenn., 136 e. by s.
Nashville, 545 W.
Posts Corners, p-o., Southport t., Chemung co., N. Y., 201 w. s.
w. Albany, 277 W.
Postsville, p-v., Jefferson co., Va.
Postville, p-v., Russia t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 98 n. w.
Albany, 413 W. It contains 1 store, 2 saw m., 1 tannery, and
about 20 dwellings.
Postville, p-v., capital of Logan co., Ill., 39 n. e.
Springfield. Situated on the n. side of Salt cr., a branch of
Sangamon r., and contains a court house, 3 stores, and several
Poteau, r., Ark., rises in Scott co., and running n., chiefly in
the Indian ter., enters Arkansas r. at Fort Smith.
Potfcuse, p-o., Northampton co., N. C, 155 n. e. Raleigh, 224 W.
Potomac, r., Md. and Va., rises in 2 branches, the n. and the s
, in and near the Alleghany mountains, and forms, through nearly
its whole course, the boundary between Virginia and Maryland. It
is 550 miles long, and enters Chesapeake Bay between Point
Lookout and Smith's point, by a mouth 10 miles wide. At
Alexandria it is 1 mile and a quarter wide, 290 miles from the
ocean. It is navigable for ships of the line to the navy-yard in
Washington, 300 miles from the sea, and 3 miles below the head
of tide water. Above this it is obstructed by numerous falls and
rapids. Little falls are 3 miles above Washington, with a
descent of 37 feet, around which is a canal, 2i miles long with
3 locks. Great falls are 8i miles above this, and descend
perpendicularly 76 feet, around which is a canal of 5 locks. Six
miles above are Seneca Falls, with a descent of 10 feet.
Shenandoah falls, 60 miles above, are at the passage of the
river through the Blue Ridge. Houre's falls are 5 miles above.
Canals have been constructed around all these falls. From the
mouth of Savage river, which enters the Potomac at Westport, to
Cumberland, 31 miles, the fall is 445 feet; from Cumberland to
the Shenandoah falls, 130 miles, the fall is 490 feet; at the
Shenandoah the fall is 43 feet in 5 miles; from the Shenandoah
to Great falls, 40 miles, 39 feet; and thence to tidewater 12
miles, 143 feet. The whole descent from the mouth of Savage
River to tidewater, 219 miles, is 1,160 feet. The principal
places on the e. side of the river are George-town, Washington,
Port Tobacco, and Leonard Town; on the w. side, Harpers Ferry
and Alexandria. Its principal tributary is the Shenandoah, 200
miles long, and navigable 100 miles, which enters it on the s.
side from Virginia, immediately before its passage through the
Blue Ridge. This passage is a great curiosity. Of it Mr.
Jefferson says, "the passage of the Potomac through the Blue
Ridge is, perhaps, one of the most stupendous scenes in nature.
You stand on a very high point of land. On your right comes up
the Shenandoah, having ranged along the foot of the mountain a
hundred miles to seek a vent. On your left approaches the
Potomac, in quest of a passage also. In the moment of their
junction, they rush together against the mountain, rend it
asunder" (referring to a possible event of former times) "and
pass off to the sea." His whole description is sublime and
beautiful, of a scene, which he pronounces "worth a voyage
across the Atlantic" to behold. The Potomac is 42 feet deep at
its mouth, 30 at St. George's Island, and 18 feet at Swan's
point, and thence to Alexandria.
Poton Valley, p-o., Scott co., Ark., 133 w. by n. Little Rock,
Potosi, p-v., capital of Washington co., Mo., Ill e. s. e.
Jefferson City, 879 W. Situated in the centre of one of the
richest mineral regions in the United States, abounding with
lead, iron, and copper ores. It contains a court house, jail, an
academy, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and
1 Roman Catholic, and about 500 inhabitants.
Potosi, p-v., Grant co., Wis.
Potsdam, p-t., St, Lawrence co., N. Y., 212 n. n. w. Albany, 496
W. The surface is undulating; soil, sandy loam, and very
productive. Watered by Racket and Grass rivers. The v. is
situated on Racket r., at the falls, and contains 4 churches,
St. Lawrence academy with 2 four-story edifices, 10 stores, 1
satinet fac, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 2 clothiers' works, 1 oil m.,
2 machine shops, 1 pocket furnace, 1 trip-hammer works and
forge, 120 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. There are in
the t. 12 stores, cap. $34,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
furnace, 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$63,955. 1 acad. 280 students, 36 sch. 1,363 scholars. Pop.
Potter, County, Pa. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 1,110 sq. ms. Drained by head branches
of Alleghany r., Tioga r., and Genesee r., and of the w. branch
of the Susquehanna r., and Pine, Kettle, Sinnemahoning, and
Driftwood creeks. The surface is elevated; soil, loam. Coal and
iron are found. Much of the co. is unsettled. Capital,
Coudersport. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,315, sheep 4,960,
swine 2,330; wheat 11,410 bush, produced, rye 2,363, Ind. corn
6,091, buckwheat 3,818, oats 24,759, potatoes 60,571, sugar
103,199 pounds; 6 stores, cap. $11,700; 1 tannery, 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper, 8 grist m., 30 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $150,480. 23 sch. 476 scholars. Pop. 3,371.
Potter, p-t., Yates co., N. Y., 201 w. Albany, 326 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, gravelly loam, and fertile. Drained by
Flint cr. It has 7 stores, cap. $18,300; 2 fulling m., 1
furnace, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$25,375. 14 sch. 830 scholars. Pop. 2,245.
Potter, t., Centre co., Pa., 10 s. e. Bellefonte, 71 n. w.
Harrisburg, 170 W. The surface is mountainous; soil, calcareous
loam. It has 2 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac,
1 tannery, 1 distillery, 5 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$41,000. 8 sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,787.
Potter's Hollow, v., Rensselaerville t, Albany co., N. Y. It
contains 1 Friends church, 2 stores, 20 dwellings, and about 125
Potter's Mills, p-v., Potter t., Centre co., Pa., 73 n. w.
Harrisburg, 165 W.
Pottersville, p-o., Chester t., Warren co., N. Y., 87 n. by w.
Albany, 462 W.
Pottersville, p-v., on the line of Readington and Tewksbury ts.,
Hunterdon co., N. J., 48 n. n. w. Trenton, 222 W. It contains a
store and a few dwellings.
Pottersville, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 143 e. n. e. Columbus,
Pottersville, p-v., Louisa co., Va., 47 n. n. w. Richmond, 89 W.
Potts Grove, t., Montgomery co., Pa. Schuylkill r. bounds it on
the s. The surface is hilly; soil, red shale. Watered by
Manatawny cr. and Sprogel's run. It has 1 store, cap. $5,000; 2
furnaces, 2 forges, 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m., 3 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $10,400. Pop. 1,361.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!