Pottstown, PA to Princess Ann, County,
Pottstown, p-b., Potts Grove t., Montgomery co., Pa., 37 n.
Philadelphia, 71 e. Harrisburg, 164 W. Situated near Schuylkill
r., at the junction of Manatawny cr. It is built chiefly on one
street, and the houses, of stone, brick, and wood, are neatly
built. It contains 2 churches and about 100 dwellings. The
Schuylkill canal passes through the place. It has 3 stores, cap.
$30,000; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1
flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$12,000. 2 acad. 45 students, 1 sch. Pop. 721.
Pottsville, p-b., Norwegian t., Schuylkill co., Pa., 99 n. w.
Philadelphia, 62 e. Harrisburg, 172 W. Situated at t he
termination of the Schuylkill canal. It contains 2 churches, 1
of which is an Episcopal, a bank, 33 stores, cap. $136,900; 1
furnace, 2 tanneries, 3 breweries, 3 printing offices, 3 weekly
newspapers, 1 flouring m. Cap. in manufac. $141,400. 1 acad. 40
students, 8 sch. 170 scholars. Pop. 4,345. In 1824 there were
but 5 houses on the spot. Mount Carbon, a suburb and part of the
place, contains about 30 dwellings, several large warehouses,
and a fine range of stores, 3 stories high. The immense coal
trade has given to this place its rapid growth.
Pottsville, p-o., Washington co., Iowa.
Poughkeepsie, p-t., capital of Dutchess Co., N. Y., 71 s.
Albany, 299 W. The surface is undulating, and in some places
rough; soil, sand, clay, and loam, underlaid by limestone.
Drained by Wappinger's and Fall creeks. The v. is situated on
the E. side of Hudson r. Incorporated in 1801, and contains a
court house, jail, a collegiate school with a fine edifice,
Dutchess academy, 2 female seminaries, a lyceum, 2 markets, 3
banking houses, besides a savings institution, a county
poorhouse, 13 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Congregational, 2
Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 2 Methodist, 1 Dutch Reformed. 2 Friends,
1 Universalist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 African - 80 stores of
different kinds, 2 breweries, 2 carpet fee, 3 flouring m., 3
plaster fee, 2 saw m., 2 soap and candle fac, 2 pin fac, 2 gun
fac, 3 iron foundries, 2 potteries, 3 machine shops, 9 carriage
and wagon fac, 3 printing offices, and numerous other mechanical
and manufacturing establishments, 1,000 dwellings, and about
7,500 inhabitants. It is one of the most, pleasant and wealthy
villages on Hudson r. The convention met here in 1788, which
adopted the constitution of the U. States. There are in the t.
54 stores, cap. $197,000; cap. employed in the fisheries
$134,050; 8 lumber yards, cap. $160,500; 3 cotton fac. 4,083
sp., 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 2 potteries, 4 flouring m., 2 grist
m., 1 saw m., 3 printing offices, 2 periodicals, and 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $458,100. 2 acad. 290 students, 14
sch. 1,077 scholars. Pop. 10,006.
Poughkeepsie, p-v., Allen co., Ia., 126 n. n. e. Indianapolis,
Poughquag, p-o., Beckman t., Dutchess co., N. Y.
Pounding Branch, p-o., Montgomery co., N. C.
Poultney, r., Vt., rises in Tinmouth and flows w. into East bay,
in Lake Champlain. It affords good water power. It is about 25
ms. long, and for a little distance forms the boundary between
Vt. and N. Y.
Poultney, t., Rutland co., Vt., 60 s. w. Montpelier, 46 n.
Bennington. The surface is diversified; soil, warm and fertile.
Watered by Poultney r. The v., near the centre, contains 2
churches, 1 Congregational and 1 Baptist, several stores, a
female academy, and about 50 dwellings. There is another v. in
the w. part of the t. which contains a Methodist church a store,
and a number of handsome dwellings. There are in the t. 5
stores, cap. $20,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 furnaces, 3
tanneries, 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,830. 1 acad. 112
students, 15 sch. 648 scholars. Pop. 1,878.
Poundridge, p-t., Westchester co., N. Y., 15 N. E. White Plains,
121 s. Albany, 274 W. The surface is hilly and stony; soil,
gravelly loam. Drained by Mechanus cr., which affords water
power. The v. contains 3 churches, 2 stores, and 15 or 20
dwellings. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $8,300; 1 fulling
m., 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,325. 9 sch. 441
scholars. Pop. 1,407.
Poverty Hill, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C, 87 w. by s. Columbia,
Powasheck, p-o., Muscatine co., Iowa.
Powder Springs, p-o., Cobb co., Ga , 112 n. w. Milledgeville,
Powels, r., Va., rises in Powels mountain, Vs., and passing into
Tennessee, unites with Clinch r., 38 n. e. Knoxville. It is
navigable for boats for nearly 100 ms.
Powells Mountain, p-o., Lee co., Va., 378 w. by s. Richmond, 446
Powell's Point, p-o., Currituck co., N. C., 257 e. n. e.
Raleigh, 305 W.
Powell's Tavern, p-o., Goochland co., Va., 14 w. n. w. Richmond,
Powellton, p-o., Brunswick co., Va., 91 s. s. w. Richmond, 207
Powellton, p-v., Richmond co., N. C, 118 s. w. Raleigh, 392 W.
Powellton, p-v., Hancock co., Ga., 36 n. e. Milledgeville, 626
W. Situated on Great Ogeechee r., and contains 2 churches, 1
Baptist and 1 Methodist, 2 academies, 3 stores, and about 26
Powerville, p-v., Pequannock t., Morris co., N. J., 10 n. e.
Morristown, 64 n. Trenton, 235 W. It contains 2 stores, 1 forge,
1 grist m., 1 saw m., and about 15 dwellings.
Powerville, p-v., Bracken co., Ky., 61 n. e. Frankfort, 489 W.
Powhatan, County, Va. Situated near the centre
of the state, and contains 300 sq. miles. James r. runs on its
n. border, and Appomattox River on is s. border. Capital,
Scottsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,751, sheep 6.591,
swine 9,160; wheat 53,935 bush, prod., Ind. corn 188,810, oats
13S.273, potatoes 6,737, tobacco 1,849,750 lbs.; 13 stores, cap.
$28,000; 2 tanneries, 10 distillries, 7 flouring m., 16 grist,
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $43,500. 5 acad. 125 students, 4
sch. 94 scholars. Pop. whites 2,432, slaves 5, 129, free col'd
363; total, 7,924.
Powhatan Point, p-o., Mead t., Belmont, co., O., 13S e.
Columbus, 275 W.
Pownal, p-t, Cumberland co., Me., 18 N. e. Portland, 42 s. w.
Augusta, 563 W. Incorporated in 1803. It is a small t.,
irregular in its form. It has 5 stores, cap. $1,800; 1 tannery,
2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,245. Pop. 1,2 10.
Pownal, p-t., Bennington co., Vt., 126 s by w. Montpelier, 398
W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, fertile, adapted to
grazing. Drained by Hoosic r., which affords water power.
Chartered in 1760. A small v. at the centre contains a Baptist
church. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 woolen fac., 1 cotton
fac., 2 grist m., 5 saw m.Cap. in manufac. $1 1,300. 10 sch. 349
Powow, r., N. H., rises in Kingston and falls into Merrimac r.,
between Salisbury and Amesbury, Mass., where, by a fall of 100
feet in 50 rods, it affords extensive water power.
Prairie, t., Franklin co., O. The surface is mostly level, with
a considerable prairie near its centre. Watered by Darby cr. The
national road passes through it. Organized in 1819. Pop. 606.
Prairie, t., Arkansas co., Ark. Pop. 142.
Prairie, t., Holmes co., O. It has 3 flouring m. Cap. in
manufac. $6,500. Pop. 1,249.
Prairie, t., Audrain co., Mo. Pop. 221.
Prairie, t., Howard co., Ill. It has 1 sch. 38 scholars. Pop.
Prairie, t., Carroll co., Ark. It has 1 store, cap. $1,700; 2
sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 399.
Prairie, t., Washington co., Ark. It has 2 tanneries, 3
distilleries. Cap. in manufac. $4,275. 4 sch. 93 scholars. Pop.
Prairie, t., Franklin co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 13 scholars. Pop.
Prairie, t., Madison co., Ark. It has 1 distillery. Pop. 400.
Prairie, t., Montgomery co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop.
Prairie Bluff, p-o., Wilcox co., Ala., 85 s. Tuscaloosa, 877 W.
Prairie Creek, p-o., Vigo co., Ia., 88 w. s. w. Indianapolis,
Prairie de Long, p-o., Monroe co., Ill., 116 s. by w.
Springfield, 826 W. The creek from which it is named flows into
Prairie Du Chien, p-v., capital of Crawford county, Wis., 125 w.
Madison, 957 W. Situated on the e. bank of Mississippi r., 3
miles above the mouth of Wisconsin r., 300 miles below the Falls
of St. Anthony, and 600 above St. Louis. The prairie is 10 ms.
long and 3 wide. The v. contains a court house, jail, 3
churches, 1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, and 1 Roman Catholic, an
academy, 9 stores, 150 dwellings, and 1,500 inhabitants.
Numerous mounds of all shapes and sizes are to be found in the
vicinity. The richest copper mines, and large masses of pure
copper, are found here. Fort Crawford, a United States military
post, is situated immediately s. of the village.
Prairie Du Sac, p-v., capital of Sauk co., Wis. Situated on the
n. side of Wisconsin r.
Prairie Du Rocher, p-v., Randolph co., Ill., 14 n. w. Kaskaskia,
137 s. by w. Springfield, 848 W. It is an old French settlement,
on the e. side of the Mississippi r., on the American bottom,
which contained 14 families in 1766, and now contains about 35.
It has a Roman Catholic church, and the inhabitants retain much
of their original habits and manners.
Prairie Hill, p-o, Lowndes co., Ala., 121 s. s. e. Tuscaloosa,
Prairie la Porte, p-v., capital of Clayton co., Iowa. Situated
on the w. side of Mississippi r., on an elevated bank, a few ms.
above the mouth of Turkey cr.
Prairie Point, p-o., Noxubee co., Miss., 137 n. n. e. Jackson,
Prairie River, p-o., Branch co., Mich., 122 s. s. w. Detroit,
575 W. The river which gives name to it is 40 or 50 miles long,
and flows into St. Joseph r.
Prairie Ronde, t., Kalamazoo co., Mich. It has I tannery, 1 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. & 1,400. 4 sch. 94 scholars. Pop. 623.
Prairieton, p-v., Prairie t, Vigo co., Ia., 80 w. s. w.
Indianapolis, 651 W. Situated on the s. side of Prairie cr.,
which flows into Wabash River.
Prairieton, p-v., Lawrence co., Ill., 147 s. e. Springfield, 709
Prairie Village, p-v., Milwaukee co., Wis., 65 e. Madison, 820
W. Situated on the w. side of a head branch of Fox r.
Prairieville, t., Milwaukee Co., Wis. It has 2 stores, cap.
$2,400; 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 sch. 13 scholars. Pop. 450.
Prairieville, p-v., Clinton co., Ia., 52 n. n. w. Indianapolis,
Prairieville, p-v., Randolph co., Ill., 126 s. Springfield, 835
Prallsville, p-v., Amwell t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 20 n. n. w.
Trenton, 177 W. Situated on the e. side of Delaware r., and
contains 1 store, a grist m. on Wickhechecoke cr., and 10 or 12
Pratt, p-o., Shelby co., O., 74 w. n. w. Columbus, 468 W.
Prattsburg, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 209 w. by s. Albany, 315
W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile, adapted to grain, but
better to grass. Drained by Conhocton River. The v. contains 1
Presbyterian Church, an academy, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m.,
1 tannery, 50 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. There are in
the t. 4 stores, cap. $16,300; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist
m., 22 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,100. 1 acad. 204 students, 18
sch. 823 scholars. Pop. 2,455.
Prattsburg, p-v., Orange co., N. C, 31 n. w. Raleigh, 294 W.
Prattsburg, p-v., Talbot co., Ga., 80 w. s. w. Milledgeville,
Pratt's Hollow, p-o., Eaton t., Madison co., N. Y., 106 w. by n.
Albany, 363 W.
Prattsville, p t, Greene co., N. Y., 38 w. Catskill, 54 s. w.
Albany, 360 W. The surface is broken and mountainous; soil,
fertile on Schoharie cr., which flows through the t. The up-land
is adapted to grazing. The v. is pleasantly situated on the e.
side of Schoharie cr., and contains 1 Dutch Reformed and 1
Methodist church, an academy, a printing office, and stereotype
foundry, 3 tanneries producing 110,000 sides of sole leather
annually, 1 woolen fac, 2 furnaces, 2 machine shops, 150
dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants. There are in the t. 7
stores, cap. $24,000; 1 flouring m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries,
2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $281,200. 1 acad. 25
students, 6 sch. 150 scholars. Pop. 1,613.
Preble, County, O. Situated toward the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 432 sq. ms. The surface is level
or gently rolling; soil, very fertile. Drained by Franklin, Four
Mile, and St. Clair creeks. Capital, Eaton. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 15,865, sheep 29,255, swine 40,785; wheat 198,107
bushels produced, rye 8,955, Ind. corn 1,110,611, buckwheat
1,340, barley 3,571, oats 270,804, potatoes 24,775, sugar 49,296
pounds; 37 stores, cap. $130,896; 1 full-ing m., 3 woolen fac, 9
tanneries, 5 distilleries, 16 flouring m., 18 grist m., 34 saw
m., 1 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $91,700. Pop. 19,482.
Preble, p-t., Cortland co., N. Y., 131 w. Albany, 324 W. The
surface is hilly; soil calcareous gravel and argillaceous loam,
and very productive. Drained by Toughnioga r. The v. contains 2
churches, 45 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. There are in
the t. 1 store, cap. $4,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,600. 10 sch. 464 scholars.
Preble, t., Pike co., O. Pop. 513.
Prescott, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 16 n. e. Northampton, 77
w. Boston, 395 W. The surface is hilly and rough; soil, adapted
to grazing. Watered by branches of Swift r., a principal
constituent of Chicapee r. It has 4 stores, cap. $2,900; 1 grist
m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,350. 5 sch. 230 scholars. Pop.
Presque Isle, County, Mich. Situated in the n. e. part of the
peninsula, and contains 720 sq. ms. Bounded n. e. by Lake Huron,
into which its streams flow. It is unorganized.
Preston, County, Va. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 501 sq. ms. The surface is mountainous
and rough; soil, in some parts very fertile. Drained by Cheat
r., the principal constituent of Monongahela r. Capital,
Kingwood. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,45y, sheep 12,249,
swine 9,069; wheat 2,801 bush, produced, rye 17,877, Indian corn
42,887, buckwheat 16,057, oats 123,966, potatoes 35,209, tobacco
3,892 pounds, sugar 27,132; 11 stores, cap. $103,900; 2 fulling
m., 2 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 90 sp., 11 tanneries, 22
distilleries, 29 grist m., 23 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $45,195. Pop.
whites 6,743, slaves 91, free col'd 30; total, 6,866.
Preston, p-t., New London co., Ct., 45 s. e. Hartford, 363 W.
The surface is uneven and rocky; soil, gravelly loam, and pretty
fertile. Thames and Quinnebaug rivers bound it on the w. and n.
w. It has 2 villages 1 in the e. part, called Preston City,
which contains a Congregational and a Baptist church, several
stores, and about 35 dwellings. Poquetanock, the other v., is in
the s. part, and lies partly in Ledyard, and contains about 40
dwellings, situated at the head of a cove, which sets up from
Thames r. Amos's pond lies a little s. of Preston City, the
outlet of which forms Poquetannuck r. First settled in 1686.
There are in the t. 9 stores, cap. $11,000; 1 cotton fac. 200
sp., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,550.
13 sch. 469 scholars. Pop. 1,727.
Preston, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y., 118 w. by s. Albany, 342 W.
The surface is moderately uneven; soil, fertile. Drained by
branches of Chenango r. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 3 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,600. 12 sch. 340 scholars. Pop. 1,117.
Preston, p-t., Wayne co., Pa., 184 n. e. Harrisburg, 280 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, gravel and loam, well timbered with
white and yellow pine, hemlock and chestnut. It has 7 sch. 124
scholars. Pop. 534.
Preston, p-o., Marion co., Ga.
Preston, p-o.; Crosby t., Hamilton co., O., 122 w. s. w.
Columbus, 510 W. Situated in New Haven v.
Preston, p-o., Yallabusha co., Miss., 129 n. by E. Jackson, 974
Prestonburg, p-v., capital of Floyd co., Ky., 120 e. s. e.
Frankfort, 461 W. Situated on the w. fork of Sandy r. It
contains a court house, and 84 inhabitants.
Preston Hollow, p-v., Rensselaerville t, Albany co., N. Y., 38
w. by s. Albany, 365 W. It contains 1 church, 4 stores, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 40 dwellings, and about
Prestonville, p-v., Rhea co., Tenn., 147 e. s. e. Nashville, 536
W. Situated on the n. side of Tennessee r.
Prewett's Knob, p-o., Barren co., Ky., 119 s. w. Frankfort, 642
Prible's Mills, p-o., Wood co., Va., 336 w. n. w. Richmond, 305
Price, t., Monroe co., Pa. It has 1 grist m 9 saw m. Pop. 391.
Pricetown, p-v., Ruscomb Manor t., Berks co., Pa., 62 e. by n.
Harrisburg, 155 W. It contains 1 store, 1 tannery, and 25 or 30
Priceville, p-v., Price t., Wayne co., Pa 199 n. e. Harrisburg,
Priggs, p-o., Jackson t., 3Iontgomery co., O., 12 s. w. Dayton,
182 w. by s. Columbus, 475 w.
Prillimans, p-o., Franklin co., Va., 203 w. s w. Richmond, 278
Prince Edward, County., Va. Situated centrally,
toward the s. part of the state, and contains 375 sq. ms.
Appomattox r. runs on its n. border, by branches of which it is
drained. The soil is fertile and well cultivated. It contains
Hampden Sidney College, which was founded in 1783, has a
president, and 4 professors or other instructors, 65 students,
and has 8,000 vols, in its libraries! The commencement is on the
fourth Wednesday in September. A preparatory academy is
connected with the institution. Capital, Prince Edward C. H.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,634, sheep 11,698, swine
15,428; wheat 57,293 bush, produced, Ind. corn 303,997, oats
129,21 0, potatoes 13,147, tobacco 3,106,950 pounds, cotton
11,121; 33 stores, cap. $123,800; 3 tanneries, 22 flouring m.,
28 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $204,220. 2 colleges, 66
students, 3 acad. 52 students, 23 sch. 465 scholars. Pop. whites
4,923, slaves 8,576, free col'd 570; total, 14,069.
Prince Edward, C. H., p-v., capital of Prince Edward co., Va.,
77 w. s. w. Richmond, 167 W.
Prince Edward, p-o., Gilmer co., Ga., 165 n. w. Milledgeville,
Prince Fredericktown, p-v., capital of Calvert co., Md., 46 s.
by w. Annapolis, 76 W. Situated on Parker's cr., which flows
into Chesapeake bay. It contains a court house, jail, a church,
several stores, and about 500 inhabitant
Prince George, County, Va. Situated toward the
e. part of the state, and contains 305 sq. QB. Appomattox r.
runs on its n. w., and James r. on its n. e. border. Drained by
Blackwater r. Capital, Prince George C. H. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 3,095, sheep 2,727, swine, 5,911; wheat 31,439 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 176,640, oats 35,231, potatoes 6,483,
tobacco 115,000 pounds, cotton 23,340; 8 stores, cap. $4,800; 7
distilleries, 9 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,009. 6
sch. 117 scholars. Pop. whites 2,692, slaves 4,004, free col'd
469; total, 7,175.
Prince George's, County, Md. Situated in the w.
part of the state, adjoining the District of Columbia, and
contains 575 sq. ms. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile.
Patuxent r. runs on its e border, and Potomac r. on a part of
its w. border. Capital, Upper Marlboro. There were in 1840. neat
cattle 10,482, sheep 13,833, swine 24,201; wheat 80,147 bush,
produced, rye 38,209, Ind. corn 507,266, oats 107,070, potatoes
21,570, tobacco 9,259,423 pounds; 31 stores, cap. $81,600; 1
flouring m., 19 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 printing oil; 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $53,800. 4 acad. 42 students, 12
sch. 253 scholars. Pop. whites 7,823, slaves 10,636, free col'd
1,080; total, 19,539.
Prince George, C. H., p-v., capital of Prince George co., Va.,
23 s. s. e. Richmond, 117 W.
Princes Bay, N. Y. Situated on the s. e. side of Staten Island,
celebrated for its fine oysters. It furnishes a safe anchorage
in a n. e. storm.
Princess Ann, County, Va. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 374 sq. ms. The surface is
level, though somewhat elevated. The Atlantic Ocean bounds it on
the e. and Chesapeake Bay on the n. Back bay, a branch of
Currituck sound, sets up in its s. part. Drained by North r. and
the e. branch of Elizabeth r. Capital, Princess Ann C. H. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 10,588, sheep 6,822, swine 20,761;
wheat 6,655 bush, produced, Ind. corn 298,960, oats 84,771,
potatoes 37,029, cotton 951 pounds; 5 stores, cap. $2,422; 3
tanneries, 10 distilleries, 16 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $9,648.
1 acad. 49 students, 8 sch. 179 scholars. Pop. whites 3,996,
slaves 3,087, free col'd 202; total, 7,285.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!