Quaker Bottom, OH to Quogue, NY
Quaker Bottom, p-o., Lawrence co., O.,
123 s. by e. Columbus, 400 W.
Quaker Hill, p-o., Pawlings t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 92 s.
Albany, 304 W.
Quake it Springs, p-o., Saratoga t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 32 n.
Albany, 402 W.
Quaker Springs, p-v., Columbia co., Ga., 103 e. n. e.
Milledgeville, 582 W. This settlement was formed by the Friends
in 1750, who fled, alarmed by the murders of the Cherokees. It
contains a number of dwellings.
Quaker Street, p-o., Duanesburg t., Schenectady co., N. Y.
Quakertown, p-v., Kingwood t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 31 n. w.
Trenton, 191 W. It is called also Fairview, and contains 1
Friends church, 2 stores, and 15 or 20 dwellings.
Quakertown, p-v., Richland t., Bucks co., Pa., 37 n. n. w.
Philadelphia, 101 e. Harrisburg, 174 W. It is neatly built on a
single street, and contains 1 Friends church, 2 stores, 40
dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Quallatown, p-v., Haywood co., N. C, 326 w. Raleigh, 556 W.
Quantico, p-v., Somerset co., Md., 93 s. e. Annapolis, 133 W.
Quay, p-o., Claiborne par., La., 367 n. w. New Orleans, 1,237 W.
Queechee, r., Vt., rises in Sherburne, and after running 35 ms.,
falls into Connecticut r., in Hartland, about 2 ms. above
Queechee falls. It receives a number of tributaries, and affords
good water power. It is about 35 ms. long.
Queechee Village, p-v., Hartford t., Windsor co., Vt., 57 s.
Montpelier, 487 W. Situated around the falls in Queechee r., 5
ms. above its mouth. It contains several stores, and a number of
mills and manufactories.
Quemahoning, t., Somerset co., Pa., 11 n. e. Somerset. The
surface is hilly; soil, light gravel. Stony cr. bounds it on the
e. Drained by McConaughey run and Quemahoning cr., Higgins r.
and Will's cr. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 1 distillery, 1
flouring m., 1 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,800. 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 924.
Queen Anne, County, Md. Situated in the e. part
of the state, on the e. shore of Chesapeake Bay, and contains
400 sq. ms. Kent island, in Chesapeake bay, belongs to it.
Chester r. runs on its n. w. border, and Tuckahoe cr. on its e.
border. Capital. Centreville. There were in 1840, neat cattle
9,056, sheep 12,881, swine 12,520; wheat 113,411 bush, produced,
rye 35,767, Ind. corn 501,274; buckwheat 346, oats 117,765,
potatoes 15,275; 8 stores, cap. $10,000; 1 tannery, 5 grist m. 6
acad. 96 students, 12 sch. 334 scholars, Pop. whites 6,132,
slaves 3,950, free col'd 2,541; Total, 12,633.
Queen Anne, p-v., Prince George's co., Md., 14 s. w. Annapolis,
26 W. Situated on the w. side f Patuxent r.
Queens, County, N. Y. Situated toward the part
of Long Island, having Long Island sound and the East r. on the
n., and the Atlantic ocean on the s., and contains 396 sq. ms.
The soil is a loam on the n., and a light sand on the s. part.
When well cultivated, the soil is productive. The shore is
deeply indented by bays and inlets, and several small streams
flow into the sound, and into the ocean. There is a light-house
on Sand's point, on Long Island sound. Capital, North Hempstead.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 14,181, sheep 26,177, swine
21,518; wheat 97,741 bush, produced, rye 105,399, Ind. com
336,401, buckwheat 64,027, barley 3,593, oats 348,447, potatoes
214,121; 83 stores, cap. $253,900; 13 lumber yards, cap.
$25,050; 7 fulling m., 7 woolen fac, 5 tanneries, 1 rope fac, 1
distillery, 1 glass cutting establishment, 7 flouring m., 41
grist, m., 17 saw m., 3 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 3 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $307,950. 1 college, 36 students, 8
acad. 429 students, 78 sch. 3,670 scholars. Pop. 30,324.
Queensborough, p-v., Anderson dist., S. C, 113 w. n. w.
Columbia, 529 W.
Queensbury, p-t., Warren co., N. Y., 57 n. Albany, 429 W. The
surface is undulating and hilly on the w.; soil, sand and
productive loam. Drained by Wood cr. on the n., and watered by
Hudson r. on the s. It contains the v. of Glen's Falls. It has
25 stores, cap. $65,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 powder m., 1
grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,600. 1 acad. 44 students,
22 sch. 918 scholars. Pop. 3,798.
Queensdale, p-v., Robeson co., N. C, 110 s. s. w. Raleigh, 406
Queenstown, p-v., Queen Anne co., Md., 26 e. Annapolis, 66 W.
Situated on the s. e. side of Chester bay.
Queen's Grove, p-o., Switzerland co., Ia., 102 s. E.
Indianapolis, 538 W.
Quillinsville, p-v., Scott co., Va., 351 w. by N. Richmond, 419
Quincy, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 9 s. by E. Boston, 449 W. The
surface is diversified; soil, fertile and well cultivated. It
contains large tracts of salt meadow. Three ms. back from the
bay is an elevated range, in some parts rising over 600 feet
above the sea, containing an inexhaustible supply of excellent
granite, which is extensively exported. A railroad extends from
the quarry, 3 ms., to tidewater on Neponset r., constructed in
1826, and was the first work of the kind in the United States.
First settled in 1625. Separated from Braintree and chartered in
1792. Some vessels are owned here, employed chiefly in the
fisheries. It has 15 stores, cap. $27.600; 4 lumber yards, cap.
$19,400; 2 tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper.
Cap. in manufac $112,150. 8 acad. 137 students, 6 sch. 708
scholars. Pop. 3,486.
Quincy, p-t., Franklin co., Pa., 57 s. w. Harrisburg, 83 W. It
has 7 stores, cap. $22,300; 1 furnace, 3 forges, 2 tanneries, 3
distilleries, 6 flouring m., 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $22,500. 8 sch. 258 scholars. Population 2,503.
Quincy, p-v., Miami t., Logan co., O., 68 n. w. Columbus, 462 W.
Quincy, p-t., Branch co., Mich., 104 w. s. w. Detroit, 552 W.
The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 4 sch. 67
scholars. Pop. 493.
Quincy, p-v., capital of Gadsden co., Flor., 23 N. w.
Tallahassee, 873 W. Situated on the w. side of Attapulgus cr.
Laid out in 1825, and contains a court house, jail, 3 churches,
1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, and about 690
Quincy, p-v., Monroe co., Miss., 181 n. e. Jackson, 912 W.
Quincy, p-v., capital of Adams co., Ill., 104 s. Springfield,
884 W. Situated on a bluff, on the e. side of Mississippi r.,
125 ms. above the mouth of Illinois r., by water, and contains a
court house, which cost $20,000, 4 churches, 1 Congregationalism
1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Baptist, 25 stores, a United
States land office, a large steam flouring and saw m., a carding
machine, about 200 dwellings, and 1,500 inhabitants. The court
house stands on a fine public square. There are about 300
steamboat arrivals annually; and pork is annually exported to
the amount of $100,000.
Quincy, p-v., Gibson co., Tenn., 144 w. Nashville, 827 W.
Quitman, p-v., capital of Clark co., Miss., 140 e. by s.
Jackson, 951 W. Situated on the e. side of Chickasawha r. It
contains a court house, 2 stores, and 75 inhabitants.
Quinnebaug, r., Ct., rises in Mashapaug pond, in Union, Ct., and
passes into Brimfield, Mass. where it receives a considerable
branch, whence it proceeds s. e. until it reenters Conn. Its
course is then s. 30 miles, until it unites with the Shetucket,
3 ms. above Norwich city. It has falls which afford great, water
Quinnipiac, r., Ct., rises in Farmington, and pursues a
southerly course, 30 ms., when it enters New Haven harbor, where
a long bridge cross it.
Quogue, p-v., Southampton t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 235 s. s. E.
Albany, 315 W. Situated on the s. side of Long Island, and
contains 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, and a number of scattered
dwellings. It is much resorted to in the summer for sea air and
the abundance of game in the vicinity.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!