Raby, OH to Randolph, LA
Raby, p-o., Lawrence co., O.
Rabun, County, Ga. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 330 sq. ms. The Blue Ridge passes
along its e. border. Drained by Turoree and Chatuga Rivers, and
their branches, which unite in the s. point of the co., to form
Tugaloo r. It is an elevated table land. Capital, Clayton. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 2,790, sheep 2,024, swine 8,526; wheat
1,452 bush, produced, rye 1,635, Ind. corn 62,521, oats 13,151,
potatoes 4,734, tobacco 3,208 pounds; 3 stores, cap. $5,000; 1
tannery, 13 distilleries, 23 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,000. 4 sch. 131 scholars. Pop. whites 1,828, slaves 84;
Racoon, t., Gallia co., O., 94 s. e. Columbus. Organized in
1806. Watered by Racoon cr. It has 5 stores, cap. $3,250; 2
tanneries, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,200. Pop.
Racoon, island, p-o., Gallia co., O.
Racoon, p-o., Laurel co., Ky.
Racoon, p-o., Smith t., Washington co., Pa., 220 w. Harrisburg,
Racoon Ford, p-o., Culpepper co., Va., 98 n. n. w. Richmond, 89
W. Situated on the bank of Rapid Ann r., 15 ms. above its
entrance into the Rappahannock.
Racine, County, Wis. Situated in the s. e. part
of the Territory and contains 610 sq. ms. Lake Michigan lies on
its E. border. Drained by Des Plaines, Fox, Pike, and Root
rivers. The surface is undulating; soil, very fertile. Capital,
Racine. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,506, sheep 340, swine
6,459; wheat 36,099 bush, produced, Ind. corn 30,163, buckwheat
3,481, barley 1,796, oats 41,028, potatoes 53,667, sugar 6,051
pounds; 2 commission houses, cap. $2,500; 19 stores, cap.
$83,950; 2 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,837. 2 acad.
65 students, 20 sch. 607 scholars. Pop. 3,475.
Racine, p-t., capital of Racine co., Wis., 112 E. by s. Madison,
780 W. Situated at the mouth of Root r., on Lake Michigan. It
contains a court house, jail, 10 stores, and about 300
inhabitants. There are in the t. 2 acad. 65 students, 20 sch.
607 scholars. Pop. 3,475.
Race, at the e. end of Long Island sound, between Connecticut
shore and Long Island. A reef of deeply sunken rocks, when the
tide, which is here rapid, is flowing, gives an agitated
appearance to the water.
Racket, r., N. Y., rises in Hamilton co., and flows in a
northerly direction through St. Lawrence co., and falls into the
St. Lawrence at the N. boundary of the state, opposite to the
island of Cornwall, in Canada. It originates in numerous lakes
and ponds, and is 145 ms. long.
Racket, r., p-o., Plymouth co., Mass.
Radnor, p-t., Delaware co., O., 32 n. Columbus, 416 W. It is
principally settled by emigrants from Wales, and received its
name from a place in that country. It has 5 sch. 150 scholars.
Radnor, t., Delaware co., Pa., 13 n. w. Philadelphia. Watered by
Darby cr. It contains 3 churches. It has 3 stores, cap. $10,000;
1 lumber yard, cap. $5,000; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 4 grist m.,
3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,000. 3 sch. 122 scholars. Pop.
Ragdales Stand, p-o., La Fayette co., Miss., 144 n. n. e.
Jackson, 927 W.
Ragged, mts., N. H., is a precipitous range about 10 ms. long,
between Merrimac and Grafton counties, in some parts nearly
2,000 feet high.
Ragged Island, t., Lincoln co., Me. Pop. 17
Rahway, p-t., Essex co., N. J., 9 s. w. Newark, 39 n. e.
Trenton, 205 W. The surface is level; soil, red shale, and well
cultivated. Drained by Rahway r. and its tributaries. The v. is
partly in Woodbridge t., Middlesex co. partly in Rahway t.,
Essex co., on both sides of Rahway r., at the head of tide, 5
miles from its mouth. The v. is in 4 detached parts, and
contains 6 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist. 1 Methodist, 2
Friends, (1 orthodox and 1 Hicksite,) and 1 African, the
Athenian Academy, with a building 68 feet long and 36 wide, 2
stories high, the Rahway Female Institute, a bank and insurance
office, 30 stores, a large sew m., about 400 dwellings, and
2,000 inhabitants. The railroad from Jersey City to Philadelphia
passes through the place. There are in the t 1C stores, cap.
$21,100; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 paper fac, 14 flouring m., 4
grist m., 5 saw m Cap. in manufac. $355,525. 1 acad. 41
students. 7 sch. 244 scholars. Pop. 2,53a
Raibone's Creek, p-o., Laurens dist., S. C, 78 w. n. w Columbus.
Rail Roads. An account of these will be found under the states
in which they are located.
Rail Road Plains, p-o., White co., Tenn., 105 e. Nashville, 576
Rainesburg, p-v., Bedford co., Pa., 113 w. Harrisburg, 129 W. It
contains 2 stores and about 25 dwellings.
Raine's Store, p-o., Twiggs co., Ga., 35 s. Milledgeville, 683
Rune's Tavern, p-o., Cumberland co., Va., 65 w. Richmond, 155 W.
Rainsboro', p-v., Paint t., Highland co., O., 77 s. w. Columbus,
Rainsville, p-v., Warren co., Ia., 90 n. w. Indianapolis, 651 W.
Raisin, r., Mich., rises in Wheatland t., Hillsdale co., and
after a very winding course of 130 ms., it enters Lake Erie, 2½
ms. below Monroe. The distance from its source to its mouth, in
a direct line, is about 60 miles. It has high and beautiful
banks, a rapid current, and affords very extensive water power.
Its name was derived from the numerous grape vines which
formerly lined its banks.
Raisin, p-t., Lenawee co., Mich. Watered by Raisin r. The soil
is fertile, and well adapted to grain. It has 1 distillery, 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,000. 1 acad. 27 students, 6 sch. 2S5
scholars. Pop. 1,117.
Raisinville, t., Monroe co., Mich. It has a fertile soil,
adapted to grain. Drained by Raisin r. It has 1 paper fac, 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. 837,000. 3 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 633.
Raleigh, city, Wake co., N. C, and capital of the state, is
pleasantly situated, a few miles w. of Neuse r., 27 n. w.
Smithfield, the nearest ordinary point of navigation, 123 n. w.
Newbern, 60 n. Fayetteville, 164 s. s. w. Richmond, Va., 288 W.
35° 47' n. lat. and 78° 48' w. Ion. It has an elevated and
pleasant situation in a healthy country, and is laid out with
great regularity. In the centre of the place is Union square,
containing 10 acres, from which extend 4 streets, dividing it
into 4 quarters. In the centers of these quarters are 4 other
squares, of 4 acres each. The 4 largest streets are 99 feet
wide, and the others 66. The state house is a superb granite
edifice, 166 feet long, 90 feet wide, and surrounded by massive
granite columns, 5½ feet in diameter, and 30 feet high. It is
after the model of the Parthenon it Athens. It has a splendid
dome, and extensive legislative and other apartments, and cost
$500,000. The other public buildings are a court house, jail,
governor's house, secretary of state's office, a theatre, a
market, 2 banks, 5 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, and 400 dwellings.
There were in 1840, 43 stores, cap. 119 1,200; 4 printing
offices, 2 binderies, 5 weekly and 1 semi-weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. 836,800; 4 acad. 95 students, 2 sch. 3
scholars. Pop. 2,244. The former state house, containing a
beautiful marble statue of Washington, by Canova, was burned in
Raleigh, p-v., capital of Shelby co., Tenn., 20 w. s. w.
Nashville, 905 W. Situated on the side of Wolf r., and contains
a court house, jail, stores, and about 250 inhabitants.
Raleigh, p-v., capital of Smith co., Miss., 87 e Jackson, 992 W.
Situated on a branch of Leaf r. It contains a court house and
about 50 inhabitants.
Ralls, County, Mo. Situated toward the n. part
of the state, and contains 470 sq. ms. The surface is
undulating; soil, fertile. Drained by Salt r. and its branches.
Capital, New London. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,440,
sheep 6,344, swine 17,245; wheat 23,954 bushels produced, rye
1,524, Ind. corn 240,225, oats 34,148, potatoes 9,366, tobacco
97,119 pounds; sugar 10,984; 9 stores, cap. $48,100; 4
tanneries, 7 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 15 grist m., 11 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $33,960. l acad. 38 students, 9
sch. 243 scholars. Pop. whites 5,450, slaves 1,209, free col'd
11; total, 5,670.
Ralston, p-o., Lycoming co., Pa., 115 n. Harrisburg, 225 W.
Ramah, p-o., Wilkinson co., Ga.
Ramapo, r., N. Y., rises in Orange co., and flows in a southerly
direction through a part of Rockland co. into New Jersey, where
it empties into the Passaic r. It affords good water power.
Ramapo, t., Rockland co., N. Y., 8 w. New City v., 132 s.
Albany. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, productive
in the valleys. Drained by Ramapo and Saddle rivers, branches of
the Passaic. The New York and Erie railroad passes through the
t. It has 8 stores, cap. $25,000; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1
cotton fac. 516 sp., 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 5 grist m., 2
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,250. 8 sch. 315 scholars. Pop.
Ramapo Works, p-v., Ramapo t., Rockland co., N. Y., 113 s. by w.
Albany, 265 W. Situated on Ramapo r., which affords water power.
It contains 1 church, 1 store, 1 saw m., 1 grist m., 1 cotton
fac, 1 iron foundry, 1 rolling m., 1 nail fac, 1 screw fac, and
about 60 dwellings, chiefly inhabited by persons engaged in
Ramsaysburg, p-v., Knowlton t., Warren co., N. J., 61 n. by w.
Trenton, 216 W. Situated on the E. bank of Delaware r., and
contains an Episcopal church, 1 store, and 10 or 12 dwellings.
Ramsey's Mills, p-o., Jefferson co., Ia., 86 s. s. e.
Indianapolis, 569 W.
Ramsborough, p-v., Guilford co., N. C, 95 w. n. w. Raleigh, 290
Ranaleburg, p-v., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 174 s. w. Raleigh, 413
Rancocus, cr., N. J., rises in Monmouth co., and flows
northwestwardly into Delaware r.
Rancocus, p-o., Burlington co., N. J.
Randallstown, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 40 n. Annapolis, 50 W.
Randallsville, p-v., Robeson co., N. C, 85 s. s. w. Raleigh, 373
W. Situated on a branch of Lumber r. In the vicinity is Floral
College, an institution for young ladies. It contains 3 teachers
and about 60 pupils.
Randolph, County, Va. Situated toward the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 2,060 sq. ms. Laurel and Cheat
mountains run through the co., from s. to n., inclining to the
e. Drained by Cheat r. and its branches, on the e. side of the
mountains, and by branches of East Fork on the w. side, all of
which constitute head branches of Monongahela. r. Capital,
Beverly. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,166, sheep 13,818,
swine 9,349; wheat. 27,212 bushels produced, rye 6,861, Ind.
corn 151.009, buckwheat 5,039, oats 86,784, potatoes 29,732,
tobacco 7,280 pounds, sugar 81,240; 10 stores, cap. $65,500; 5
tanneries, 10 distilleries, 42 grist m., 23 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $27,259. 5 sch. 108 scholars. Pop. whites 5,799, slaves
216, free col'd 193; total, 6,208.
Randolph, County, N. C. Situated a little e. of
the centre of the state, and contains 900 sq. ms. Drained by
Deep cr. and its branches, and by branches of Yadkin r. The
surface is diversified; soil, fertile. Capital, Ashboro'. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 10,111, sheep 13,962, swine 25,529;
wheat 78,095 bushels produced, rye 1,952, Ind. corn 295,828,
oats 47,671, potatoes , 9,607, tobacco 80,790 pounds, cotton
81.533; 23 stores, cap. 847.390; 2 cotton fac. 1.156 sp., 16
tanneries, 40 distilleries, 2 potteries, 24 flouring m., 27
grist m., 33 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 periodical and 1
weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $151,189. 2 acad. 65
students, 2 sch. 32 scholars. Pop. whites 11,107, slaves 1,407,
free col'd 361; total, 12,875.
Randolph, County, Ga. Situated toward the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 620 sq. miles. Chattahoochee r.
runs on its w. border, and receives Petawlah cr. Drained also by
branches of Flint r. Organized in 1828. Capital, Cuthbert. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 4,834, sheep 327, swine 5,947; wheat
1,276 bushels produced, Ind. corn 63,740, oats 2,301, potatoes
6,513, cotton 327,067 pounds; 4 stores, cap. §8,100; 2 grist m.,
1 saw m., 3 sch. 97 scholars. Pop. whites 5,586, slaves 2,679,
free col'd 11; total, 8,276.
Randolph, County, Ala. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 875 sq. ms. Drained by Tallapoosa r.
and Little Tallapoosa r., and their branches. Capital, McDonald.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 33,231, sheep 3,356, swine
19,740; wheat 13,426 bushels produced, Ind. corn 918,997, oats
5,031, potatoes 21,541, tobacco 2,239 pounds, cotton 240,540; 11
grist m., 5 saw m., 3 sch. 302 scholars. Pop. whites 4,446,
slaves 526, free col'd 1; total, 12,537.
Randolph, County, Ia. Situated in the E. part
of the state, and contains 440 sq. miles. Drained by the w. fork
of White r., and by Missisinewa r. and their branches. The
surface is undulating; soil, very fertile. Organized in 1818.
Capital, Winchester. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,564,
sheep 11,444, swine 27,341; wheat 63,639 bushels produced, rye
2,626, Ind. corn 401,291, oats 115,846, potatoes 25,893, tobacco
8,325 pounds, sugar 167,782; 17 stores, cap. $27,800; 8
tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 17 grist m., 20 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $6,080. 25 sch. 610 scholars. Pop. 10,634.
Randolph, County, Ill. Situated in the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 540 square miles. Drained by
Kaskaskia r. and its branches, and St. Mary, Horse, and smaller
creeks, all of which flow into the Mississippi, which bounds it
on the s. w. The surface and the soil are various. It is the
oldest county in the state, excepting St. Clair. Capital,
Kaskaskia. There were in 1840, neat cattle, 16,847, sheep 7,688,
swine 25,338 : wheat 56,792 bushels produced, rye 1,042, Indian
corn 301,342, oats 76,051, potatoes 18,177, tobacco 11,174
pounds, cotton 5,776, sugar 719; 10 commission houses, cap.
.$51,000; 32 stores, cap. $78,820; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 6
tanneries, 4 distilleries, 6 flouring m., 8 grist m., 11 saw m.,
2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$89,150. 1 college 50 students, ] acad. 25 students, 14 sch. 403
scholars. Pop. 7,944.
Randolph, County, Mo. Situated n. of the centre
of the state, and contains 450 square ms. Drained by the e. fork
of Chariton r., and by Silver cr., which flow into the Missouri.
The sur-face is level; soil, fertile. Capital, Huntsville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 9.369, sheep 9,443, swine 24,433;
wheat 13,693 bush, produced, Ind. corn 371,875, oats 77,172,
potatoes 13,187, tobacco 841,204 pounds, sugar 9,067; 20 stores,
capital $83,300; 4 tanneries, 10 distilleries, 15 grist m., b
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $49,218. 25 sch. 655 scholars. Pop.
whites 5,749, slaves 1,437, free col'd 12; total, 7,198.
Randolph, County, Ark. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 820 square ms. Drained by head
branches of Big Black r. Cm. ital, Pocahontas. There were in
1840, neat cattle 4,174, sheep 2,586, swine 12,454; wheat 5,843
bush, produced, Ind. corn 86,170, oats 9,940, potatoes 5,761,
tobacco 3,150 pounds, cotton 8,156; 6 stores, cap. $3,950; 1
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 8 distilleries, 9 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $7,655. 25 schools 655 scholars. Pip. whites 1,973,
slaves 216, free colored 7; total, 2, 1%.
Randolph, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 99 n. Concord, 532 W. Situated
immediately n. of the White mountains. Chartered in 1772.
Drained by the s. branch of Ammonoosuc r., and by a head branch
of Israel's r. It contains some good soil. It has 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $400. 3 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 115.
Randolph, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 23 s. Montpelier, 498 W. The
surface is elevated, and not much broken; soil, fertile, and
well cultivated. Drained by the second and third branches of
White r., which afford water power. The v. occupies a high and
commanding situation, and contains a Congregational church, a
flourishing academy, several stores, and a considerable number
of handsome dwellings. There are in the t. 7 stores, capital
$17,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 3 grist m., 10
saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $33,325. 1 acad. 181 students,
21 sch. 915 scholars. Pop. 2,678.
Randolph, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 16 s. Boston, 444 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, strong, and productive. Drained by
Mantiquot r. which affords water power. A considerable pond lies
on its n. w. border. Incorporated from Braintree in 1793. The v.
is on an extended street, and contains a Congregational and a
Baptist church, a number of stores, and about 100 dwellings. Two
ms. e. is a v. which contains a Congregational and a Baptist
church, and about 60 dwellings. There is a bank and a third
Baptist church in the t. There are in the t. 20 stores, capital
$96,400; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$235,985. 1 acad. 90 students, 11 sch. 820 scholars. Pop. 3,213.
Randolph, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 313 w. by s. Albany, 336
W. The surface is hilly; soil, well adapted to grazing. Drained
by Alleghany r. and its tributaries. The v. contains 1 church, 3
stores, 1 grist m., and several saw m., on little Connewango
cr., 35 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. There are in the
t. 5 stores, capital $34,500; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 13 saw
m., in manuf. $292,200. 7 sch. 246 scholars. Pop. 1,283.
Randolph, t., Crawford co., Pa., 12 e. Meadville. It has 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $2,400. Pop. 1,040.
Randolph, t., Morris co., N. J., 7 n. w Morristown. The surface
is mountainous, Schooley 'a mountain occupying its n. part, and
Trowbridge mountain crossing the s. part. Drained by Don's
branch of Rockaway r. and the sources of Black r. It contains a
mine of magnetic iron ore. of an excellent quality, which is
extensively wrought. It has 7 stores, capital $20,400; 1 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 7
distilleries, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,570. 7
sch. 267 scholars. Pop. 1,801
Randolph, p-v., Madison co., Tenn., 201 w. s w. Nashville, 884
Randolph, p-t., Portage co., O., 139 n. e. Columbus, 315 W. It
has 8 sch. 435 scholars. Pop 1,649.
Randolph, p-o., Bibb co., Ala., 52 s. E. Tuscaloosa, 819 W.
Randolph, p-o., Natchitoches par., La., 388 n w. by w. New
Orleans, 1,307 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!