Randolph, IN to Red Oak, GA
Randolph, p-v., Randolph co., Ia., 88 e. n. e. Indianapolis, 499
Randolph's Store, p-o., McLean co., Ill., 76 n. e. Springfield,
Rang e, t., Madison co., O. It contains Midway v It has 2
stores, cap. $2,300; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $800. 7 sch.
324 scholars. Pop. 820.
Rankin, County, Miss. Situated a little s. of
the centre of the state, and contains 800 sq. ms. Pearl river
hounds it on the w., by branches of which it is drained. The
surface is covered extensively by a pine forest. Capital,
Brandon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,379, sheep 1,282,
swine 25,797; Ind. corn 176.520 bush, produced, oats 9,412,
potatoes, 25,125, rice 18,920 pounds, cotton 1,356,400; 8
stores. Pop. whites 2,777, slaves 1,851, free col'd 3; total,
Ransom's Bridge, p-o., Nash co., N. C, 56 e. Raleigh, 282 W.
Ransomville, p-o., Porter t., Niagara co., N. Y., 290 w. by n.
Albany, 416 W.
Raphoe, t., Lancaster co., Pa., 12 n. w. Lancaster. Great
Chiques cr. bounds it on the e. and s. e., and Little Chiques on
the w., uniting at the s. w. angle of the t. The surface is
roll-ing; soil, calcareous loam, gravel, and sand. It has 12
stores, cap. $36,900; 3 fulling m., 2 furnaces, 2 tanneries, 4
distilleries, 2 flouring m., 8 grist m., 5 saw m. Capital in
manufac. $28,500. 16 sch. 688 scholars. Pop. 3,557.
Rapid Ann, r., Va., rises in the Blue Ridge, in Madison co., and
joins the Rappahannock 10 ms. above Fredericksburg.
Rapid Ann, p-o., Madison co., Va., 104 n. w. Richmond, 105 W.
Rapides, Parish, La. Situated near the centre
of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Drained by Red r. and its
branches, and by Boeuf and Crocodile bayous. The soil is fertile
on the streams, but much of it is a sterile pine forest. Some
part of it is liable to inundation when the rivers are high.
Capital, Alexandria. There were in 1840, neat cattle 19,706,
sheep 4,350, swine 31,065; Ind. corn 456,850 bush, produced,
oats 3,043, potatoes 44,752, cotton 16,527,810 pounds; 25
stores, capital $231,350; 9 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $79,350. 1 college 29 students, 4
acad. 136 students. Pop. whites 3,243, slaves 10,511, free col'd
370; total, 14,132.
Rapids, p-o., Portage co., O., 157 n. e. Columns, 320 W.
Rappahannock, r., Va., rises in the Blue Ridge, and flowing a s.
e. course 130 ms. enters Chesapeake bay by a large estuary, 25
miles s. of the mouth of the Potomac r. It has 4 fathoms of
water to Hobbs' Hole, and is navigable for vessels requiring 10
feet of water 110 ms. to Fredericksburg.
Rappahannock, County, Va. Situated toward the
n. e. part of the state, and contains 100 square ms. Drained by
head branches of Rappahannock Capital, Washington. There were in
1840, neat cattle 9,257, sheep 13,195, swine 18,480; wheat
179,850 bush, produced, Ind. corn 309,950. buckwheat 4,784, oats
93.794, potatoes 24,274, tobacco 4,900 pounds; 15 stores, cap.
$93,200; 8 tanneries, 20 flouring m., 38 grist m., 32 saw m.
cap. in manufac. 834,700. 3 acad. 49 students, 5 sch. 453
scholars. Pop. whites 5,307, slaves : 663, free col'd 287;
Rappahannock Academy, p-o., Caroline co., Va., 79 n . by e.
Richmond, 73 W.
Raritan Bay, N. J., lies between Sandy Hook n the s. e., Staten
island on the n., and Monmouth co. on the s. It terminates at
Amboy on the w., to which it has 2½ fathoms of water.
Raritan, r., V J., is formed of 2 branches, which unite in
Somerset co., and enters Raritan bay at Amboy. Sloops of 80 tons
ascend the r. 17 ms. to Brunswick, with 8 feet of water.
Steam-boats run daily from New Brunswick to New York.
Raritan, t" Hunterdon co., N. J., 20 n. Trenton. Drained by
branches of Raritan r. It has 9 stores, cap. $30,300: 1 tannery,
1 distillery, 1 pottery, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers, 4 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$14,400. 15 sch. 351 scholars. Pop. 2,510.
Rathbunville, p-o., Addison t., Steuben co., N. Y., 233 w. by s.
Albany, 298 W.
Raubsville, p-o., Northampton co., Pa., 110 e. n. e. Harrisburg,
Ravenna, p-t., capital of Portage co., O., 140 n. e. Columbus,
319 W. Watered by a head branch of Beaver cr., which flows
ultimately to the Gulf of Mexico, and by a branch of Cuyahoga
r., which flows into Lake Erie, both of which afford water
power. The v. is pleasantly situated on a plain, near the branch
of the Cuyahoga r., and contains an elegant court house, of
stone, a jail, a female seminary, 3 churches, 8 or 10 stores,
and many handsome dwellings. The streets cross each other at
right angles, and the court house stands on a public square, the
Pennsylvania and Ohio canal passes through the s. part of the
v., and affords water power, and great facilities for business.
There are in the t. 9 sch. 371 scholars. Pop. 1,542.
Ravenswood, p-o., Jackson co., Va., 367 w. n. w. Richmond, 339
Ravenswood, v., Newtown t., Queens co., N. Y. Situated on the
East r., opposite to Blackwell's island. It contains about 20
dwellings and 125 inhabitants. Steamboats from New York stop
here daily several times.
Rawlingsburg, p-v., Rockingham co., N. C, 103 n. w. Raleigh, 268
Rawlingsville. p-v., De Kalb co., Ala., 153 n. e. Tuscaloosa,
Rawsonville, v., Broadalbin t., Fulton co., N. Y. Situated on
Fonda's Bush creek, and contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 5 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., I
fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 paper m., 2 tanneries, 60 dwellings,
and about 400 inhabitants.
Rawsonville, p-v., Washtenaw co., Mich., 36 w. Detroit, 522 W.
Rawley's Springs, a watering place, Rockingham co., Va. Situated
12 miles n. w. of Harrisonburg, on Dry r. There are
accommodations for from 60 to 100 persons in the summer season.
Ray, County, Mo. Situated toward the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 570 square miles. Drained by Crooked
r. and Fishing cr., which flow into the Missouri, which bounds
it on the s. Capital, Richmond. There were in 1840, neat cattle
7,925, sheep 6,702, swine 25,909; wheat 15.284 bush, produced,
Indian corn 271,000, oats 65,793, potatoes 45,600, tobacco
61,700 pounds; 15 stores, cap. $62,000; 2 tanneries, 4
distilleries, 8 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $38,050. 10
sch. 206 scholars. Pop. whites 4,714, slaves 831, free col'd 5;
Ray, p-t., Macomb co., Mich., 37 n. e. Detroit, 562 W. The soil
is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 10 sch. 298 scholars. Pop.
Rayburn's, p-o., Panola co., Miss.
Raymertown, p-o., Pittstown t,, Rensselaer co., N. Y., 21 n. e.
Albany, 389 W.
Raymond, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 58 s. w. Augusta, 561 W.
Sebago pond lies on its s. w. border. There is another large
pond on its s. e. part, and a considerable pond in its n. w.
part, both of which have outlets entering Sebago pond.
Incorporated in 1803. It has 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 4 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $5,500. 19 sch. 488 scholars. Pop. 2,032.
Raymond, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 24 e. s. e. Concord, 472
W. Watered by Lamprey r. and its branches. Incorporated in 1765.
The soil on the streams is productive. It has 9 sch. 303
scholars. Pop. 989.
Raymond, p-v., capital of Hinds co., Miss., 18 W. Jackson, 1,028
W. Situated on a small branch of Pearl r., and contains a court
house, several neat dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.
Raymond, p-v., Clarke co., Ark., 66 s. w. Little Rock, 1,131 W.
Raymond's, p-o., Union co., O., 66 n. w. Columbus, 456 W.
Raymond's Mills, p-o., Venango co., Pa., 218 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 292 W.
Raymondsville, p-o., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 246 n. n. w.
Albany, 516 W.
Raynham, t., Bristol co., Mass. First settled in 1650, chartered
in 1731, having before been a part of Taunton. The surface is
level; soil, light. Watered by Taunton r. on its s. border,
which affords water power. The first forge in America was
erected in this t. in 1652, and iron is now manufactured. It
contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Unitarian, and 1
Baptist. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1
tannery, 5 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $27,828. 7 sch.
358 scholars. Pop. 1,329.
Raynortown, v., Hempstead t., Queens co., N. Y. Situated near
Hempstead bay, and contains 1 Presbyterian church, 2 grist m., 1
saw m., 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Ray's Hill, p-o., Bedford co., Pa., 86 w. Harrisburg, 112 W.
Raytown, p-v., Taliaferro co., Ga., 61 n. e. Milledgeville, 612
Raywick, p-o., Marion co., Ky., 69 s. s. w. Frankfort. 591 W.
Readfield, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 12 w. Augusta, 604 W. A
large pond in the s. part lies partly in Winthrop, and it has a
considerable pond in its w. part, both of which flow through
other ponds into Cobbeseconte r., and through that into the
Kennebec r. It is a fine farming t. with a fertile soil. The
"Maine Wesleyan Seminary," incorporated in 1822, is located
here. It has 7 stores, cap. $12,800; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac,
3 tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,125. 2 acad. 320 students, 12 sch. 700 scholars. Pop. 2,037.
Readfield, t., Oswego co., N. Y., 15 e. Pulaski, 131 Albany. The
surface is undulating; soil, moist loam, well adapted to grass.
Drained by Salmon r. and its tributaries. It has 1 furnace, 1
tannery, 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 1 weekly
newspaper, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,700. 5 sch.
135 scholars. Pop. 507.
Reading, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 61 s. Montpelier, 478 W. The
surface is elevated, uneven and mountainous; soil, well adapted
to grazing. Watered by brandies of Queechee and Black rivers,
and by Mill r. It has 5 stores, cap. $16,000; 4 fulling m., 2
woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$18,905. 15 sch. 403 scholars. Pop. 1,336.
Reading, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 12 n. Boston, 452 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile. Drained by Ipswich
r. Incorporated in 1644. The v. contains 1 Congregational and 1
Unitarian church, several stores, and about 30 dwellings. In the
n. part of the t. is another Congregational, and a Baptist
church. It has considerable manufactures of boots, shoes,
cabinet ware and chairs. It has 12 stores, cap. $21,150; 4
forges, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $70,475. 1 acad.
71 students, 9 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 2,193.
Reading, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 15 n. w. Bridgeport, 79 s. w.
Hartford, 284 W. The surface is diversified with hills and
valleys; soil, generally fertile. Watered by Saugatuck and
Norwalk rivers. It contains 4 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1
Methodist, 1 Congregational, and 1 Baptist. There is a town
house near the centre, where are the Congregational and
Methodist churches. Joel Barlow,. LL. D., was born here in 1755.
It has 6 stores, cap. $32,600; 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 7 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $34,220. 1 acad. 9 students. 9 sch. 259
scholars. Pop. 1,674.
Reading, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 21 e. Bath 194 w. by s.
Albany, 305 W. The surface is elevated and rolling; soil, clay
and calcareous loam, well adapted to wheat. Seneca lake bounds
it on the e., into which a few small streams flow, by which it
is drained. It has 5 stores, cap. $14,000; 2 tanneries, 8 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $1,050. 13 sch. 564 scholars. Pop. 1,511.
Reading, p-b., capital of Berks co., Pa., 57 n. w. Philadelphia,
52 e. Harrisburg, 145 W. Situated on the e. bank of Schuylkill
r., 1 m. below the mouth of Tulpehocken cr. Laid out in 1748, by
Thomas and Richard Penn, Proprietaries and governors of the
province. The streets are spacious and straight, crossing each
other at right angles, 5 running e. and w. and 9 n. and s. There
is a square in the centre, on which stands a splendid court
house, 200 feet long by 220 deep, and cost $59,000. There are
also public offices, a jail, 3 banks, an academy, 3 public
libraries, 1 in German, a female seminary, 12 churches, 1
Lutheran, 1 German Reformed 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Friends, 1 Universalist, 1 Roman
Catholic, and 3 African and about 1,365 dwellings. Fifty-five
thousand dozens of hats are manufactured annually, for the
southern and western markets. Seven weekly newspapers are
issued, 2 of them in German, one of which last has been
published for 40 years, with a large circulation. A rolling m.
can roll 3,500 tons of bar iron, and 1,500 tons of nails can be
manufactured annually The fires are exclusively of anthracite
coal. White wines of an excellent quality are made to the amount
of 100 barrels annually Two fine covered bridges cross the
Schuylkill, here 600 feet wide, one of which cost $60,000. The
Schuylkill and Union canal meet here, and the Philadelphia and
Reading railroad passes through the place. It is abundantly
supplied with prime water in pipes. Iron ore and limestone are
found in the vicinity. It had in 1840, 23 stores, cap. $161,600;
3 lumber yards, cap. $60,000 : 1 forge, 3 tanneries, 1
distillery, 2 breweries, 1 pottery, 1 printing office, 5 weekly
newspapers, 2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $66,750. Pop. 8,410.
Reading, t., Adams co., Pa., 13 n. Gettysburg. The surface is
level; soil, red shale and slate. Drained by Conewago cr. and
Muddy run, a branch of Bermudian cr. It contains the v. of
Berlin, on Conewago cr. It has 2 stores, cap. 34,000; 1 tannery,
2 potteries. Cap. in manufac. $5,150. 3 sch. 100 scholars. Pop.
Reading, p-v., Sycamore t., Hamilton co., 9 n. Cincinnati, 105
s. w. by w. Columbus, 489 W. Situated 1 m. w. of the Miami
canal, at Reading Locks.
Reading, t., Perry co., O. It contains Somerset v., the capital
of the co., and New Readme and Perry villages. It has 1 store,
cap. $3,000; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $7,500. 1 sch. 74 scholars. Pop. 193.
Reading, p t., Hillsdale co., Mich., 108 w. s. w. Detroit, 541
W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Drained by Little St.
Joseph's r. It has 4 sch. 78 scholars. Pop. 331.
Reading Ridge, p-v., Reading t., Fairfield co., Ct, 66 s. w.
Hartford, 284 W. Situated in the e. part of the t., and contains
an Episcopal church, and a number of dwellings.
Reading Town House, p-v., Reading t., Fairfield co., Ct., 68 s.
w. Hartford, 286 W. Situated near the centre of the t. and
contains a town house, 2 churches, and a few dwellings.
Readington, p-t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 8 n. e. Flemington. The
surface is hilly, excepting in the s. e., where it is level;
soil, red shale, clay, and loam. Drained by Rockaway cr. and its
branches, and by the s. branch of Raritan r. It contains White
House and Potterstown villages. It has 9 stores, cap. $17,100; 3
tanneries, 3 distilleries, 6 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $2,825. 11 sch. 306 scholars. Pop. 2,373.
Readyville, p-v., Rutherford co., Tenn,, 47 s. e. Nashville, 652
W. Situated on a branch of Cumberland r.
Reamsville, p-v., Cocalico t., Lancaster co., Pa., 42 e. s. e.
Harrisburg, 131 W. It contains several stores, and about 40
Rebecca Furnace, p-o., Bottetourt co., Va., 171 w. Richmond, 218
W. Situated on a branch of James r., 3½ ms. from it, which is
navigable thus far for boats of from 4 to 7 tons. The furnace
here employs 150 persons, more than half of whom are blacks.
There is a white sulphur spring in the vicinity.
Rebersburg, p-v., Miles t., Centre co., Pa., 93 n. w.
Harrisburg, 184 W. It contains a store, and about 20 dwellings.
Recklesstown, p-v., Chesterfield t., Burlington co., N. J., 10
s. Trenton, 171 W. It contains a store, and about 12 dwellings.
Rectors Cross Roads, p-o., Fauquier co., Va., 130 n. by w.
Richmond, 51 W.
Rectortown, p-v., Fauquier co., Va., 122 n. by w. Richmond, 59
W. Situated 1 m. s. e. of Goose cr., and contains 1 Methodist
church, 2 stores, 3 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 carding machine, 24
dwellings, and about 100 inhabitants.
Red Bank, p-v., Shrewsbury t., Monmouth co., N. J., 46 e.
Trenton. Situated on the s. bank of Neversink r., and contains 5
stores, and about 100 dwellings. A steamboat runs between t and
New York in the summer season; and many persons resort here for
sea air, fishing, and rural sports, and find accommodation in
the houses of the respectable farmers. A bridge 300 feet long
crosses the r. at tins place.
Red Bank, p-t., Clarion co., Pa., 190 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 256
W. The surface is rolling: oil, loam. Drained by Red Bank.
Mahoning and Beaver creeks. Alum is found in the t. t has 6
stores, cap. $8,400; 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 5 grist m., 8 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $10,190. 24 sch. 836 scholars. Pop. 3,078.
Red Bank, p-o., Colleton dist., S. C, 88 Columbia, 594 W.
Red Banks, p-o., Shenandoah co., Va., 150 n. w. Richmond, 113 W.
Red Bluff, p-o., Wythe co., Va., 255 w. by s. Richmond, 323 W.
Red Bridge, p-o., Hawkins co., Tenn., 236 e. Nashville, 446 W.
Red Clay, p-o., Murray co., Ga.
Red Creek, p-o., Wayne co., N. C, 186 s. e. Raleigh, 336W.
Reddington, p-v., Jackson co., Ia., 55 a. Indianapolis, 591 W.
Reddy's River, Wilkes co., N. C, 185 w. by n. Raleigh, 382 W.
Redfield, p-t., Oswego co., N. Y., 139 w. n. w. Albany, 402 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, moist loam, well adapted to
grass. Drained by Salmon r. and its tributaries. It has 1
furnace, 1 tannery, 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 1 bindery,
1 weekly newspaper, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$23,700. 5 sch. 135 scholars. Pop. 507.
Redford, p-v., Saranac t., Clinton co., N. Y., 185 N. Albany,
560 W. Situated on the n. side of Saranac r., and contains 1
church, 3 stores, an extensive glass fac, 80 dwellings, and
about 500 inhabitants. Iron ore is found in the vicinity.
Redford, p-t., Wayne co., Mich., 13 n. w. Detroit, 537 W.
Watered by the n. branch of Rouge r. and Powers cr. The v. is
situated on the w. bank of Rouge r., which affords water power,
and contains 1 store, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m., and a number of
dwellings. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $1,800; 1 grist
m., 6 saw m., 12 sch. 383 scholars. Pop. 1,108.
Red Hill, a summit in Moultonborough t., Grafton co., N. H., is
situated a little n. of Winnipiseogee lake, and commands an
extensive and fine view of that romantic region.
Red Hill, p-o., Kershaw dist., S. C, 49 n. e. Columbia, 488 W.
Red Hill, p-o., Murray co., Ga., 198 n. w. Milledgeville, 623 W.
Red Hill, p-o., Marshall co., Ala., 120 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 718 W.
Red Hill, p-o., Granger co., Tenn., 218 e. Nashville, 488 W.
Red Hook, p-t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 22 n. Poughkeepsie, 49 s.
Albany, 321 W. The surface is rolling; soil, clay and loam.
Hudson river bounds it on the w. A few small streams flow into
the Hudson. It has 2 landings, called Lower Red Hook and Upper
Red Hook. Lower Red Hook v. is situated 3 ms. e. of the landing,
and contains 1 Dutch Reformed church, 4 stores, 50 dwellings,
and about 350 inhabitants. Upper Red Hook v. is 4 ms. s. s. e.
of the upper landing, and contains 1 Dutch Reformed church, an
academy, 3 stores, 40 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 11 stores, cap. $26,000; 2 lumber yards,
cap. $7,500; 1 tannery, 7 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$44,800. 1 acad. 33 students, 5 sch. 155 scholars. Pop. 2,829.
Red House, p-o., Charlotte co., Va., 103 w. s. w. Richmond, 193
Red House, p-o., Caswell co., N. C, 69 n. w. Raleigh, 255 W.
Red House Shoals, p-o., Mason co., Va., 377 w. n. w. Richmond,
Red Lion, p-v., and hundred, New Castle co., Del., 35 n. Dover,
122 W. The v. is situated on Red Lion cr., which derives its
name from the principal tavern. There are in the h. 5 stores,
cap. $23,000; 2 lumber yards, cap. $3,000. Cap. in manufac.
$3,450. 3 sch. 135 scholars. Pop. 1,401.
Red Lion, p-o., Clear Creek t., Warren co., O., 90 s. w.
Columbus, 474 W. It contains 1 store, several mechanic shops,
and about 75 inhabitants.
Red Mills, p-o., Carmel t., Putnam co., N. Y., 107 s. Albany,
Red Mound, p-o., Henderson co., Tenn., 114 w. s. w. Nashville,
Red Mountain, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 39 n. w. Raleigh, 265 W.
Red Oak, p-o., Columbia co., Ga., 101 e. n. E. Milledgeville,
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!