Richland, PA to Ridgefield, CT
Richland, t., Cambria co., Pa. It has 3 grist m 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $650. 8 sch. 320 scholars. Pop. 1,038.
Richland, p-v., Richland co., O., 82 n. by e. Columbus, 389 W.
Richland, t., Belmont co., O. The surface is rolling; soil, very
fertile. It contains the v. of St. Clairsville, the county seat.
Soil, very fertile. The national road passes through it from e.
to w. It began to be settled several years before the admission
of Ohio to the Union as a state. It has 2 acad. 42 students, 12
sch. 294 scholars. Pop. 3,748.
Richland, t., Clinton co., O. It contains the villages of
Cedarville, Sabina, and Claysville. There are in the t. 3
stores, cap. $3,500; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,740. 10 sch. 551 scholars. Pop. 1,385.
Richland, t., Darke co., O. It has 2 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 577.
Richland, t., Fairfield co., O. It contains the v. of Rushvillle.
Richland, t., Guernsey co., O., 95 e. by n. Columbus. It
contains Senecaville, Uniontown, and Point Pleasant villages.
Richland, t., Hancock co., O. It has 5 sch. 135 scholars. Pop.
Richland, t., Henry co., O. It has 3 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 542.
Richland, t., Holmes co., O. It has 2 stores, ap. 83,800; 2
fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $7,150. Pop. 1,092.
Richland, t., Jackson co., O. It has 2 stores, cap. $400; 2
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,550. Pop. 548.
Richland, t., Miami co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 3 sch.
89 scholars. Pop. 362.
Richland, t., Madison co., Ark. Pop. 452.
Richland, t., Phillips co., Ark. It has 2 distilleries, 3 grist
m. Cap. in manufac. $4,600. Pop. $530.
Richland, t., Washington co., Ark. It has 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,351). Pop.
Richland, p-v., Giles co., Tenn., 69 s. Nashille,719 W.
Richland, p-v., Holmes co., Miss.
Richland, p-v., Stewart co., Ga., 127 s. w. Milledgeville, 783
Richland, p-t., Jefferson co., Ark., 70 s. e. Little Rock, 1,124
W. It has 4 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. Pop. 594.
Richland, p-t., Kalamazoo co., Mich., 135 w. Detroit, 600 W. It
consists of a large and beautiful prairie, called Gull prairie.
It has 2 stores, Cap. $7,000; 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $150. 1
acad. 20 students, 6 sch. 176 scholars. Pop. 518.
Richland, p-v., Henderson co., Ky., 178 w. by s. Frankfort, 705
Richland, p-v., Rush co., Ia., 51 e. s. e. Indianapolis, 545 W.
Richland, p-v., Sangamon co., Ill.,10 n. Springfield,790 W.
Richland, t., Kalamazoo co., Mich. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,000;
2 saw m. 1 acad. 20 students, sch. 176 scholars. Pop. 518.
Richland, p-o., Greene co., Mo.
Richland Creek, p-o., Washington co., Ark., 9 n. w. Little Rock,
Richland Hill, p-o., E. Feliciana par., La., 123 n. w. New
Orleans, 1,120 W.
Richland's, p-o., Tazewell co., Va., 314 w. Richmond, 369 W.
Richlands, p-o., Onslow co., N. C, 128 s. e. Raleigh, 358 W. It
contains a Methodist church, 1 store, and 8 inhabitants.
Richlandtown, p-v., Bucks CO., Pa., 105 e. Harrisburg, 178 W.
Richmond, County, N. Y. Situated in the s. part
of the state, and contains the whole of Staten Island. Its area
is about 63 sq. ms., and is divided into 4 townships. The
surface is broken and hilly. Richmond hill, the highest point,
is 307 feet above the level of the ocean. It contains much good
land, and valuable fisheries on its coast. It contains several
beds of hermetic iron ore, and other minerals. It has strong
fortifications at the Narrows. Steamboats run to New York many
times daily. Capital, Richmond. There were in 1840, neat cattle
2,517, sheep 136, swine 3,180; wheat 18,989 bush, produced, rye
8,865, Ind. corn 36,347, buckwheat 4,238, barley 5,819, oats
33,793, potatoes 47,712; 49 stores, cap. $58,870; cap. invested
in the fisheries, $36,000; 1 dyeing and printing establishment,
1 tannery, 14 flouring m., 8 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $272,415. 1 acad.
25 students, 14 sch. 604 scholars. Pop. 10,965.
Richmond, County, Va. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 200 sq. ms. Rappahannock r. bounds it
on the s. w. Capital, Richmond C. H. There were in 1840, neat
cattle, 6,996, sheep 4.738, swine 14,329; wheat 43,224 bush,
produced, rye 1,014, Ind. corn 231,493, oats 25,920, potatoes
5,434, tobacco 5,738 pounds, cotton 9,252; 12 stores, cap.
$27,200; 8 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,850. 9 sch.
170 scholars. Pop. whites 3,092, slaves 2,363, free col'd 510;
Richmond, County, N. C. Situated in the s. part
of the state, and contains 540 sq. ms. Great Pedee r. runs on
its s. w. border, and Lumber r. on its e. border. Drained by
branches of Little Pedee r. Capital, Rockingham. There were in
1840, neat cattle 10,653, sheep 7,226, swine 18,841 j wheat
20,347 bush, produced, rye 1,649, Ind. corn 247,169, oats
12,942, potatoes 31,171, tobacco 4,715 pounds, cotton 1,794,154;
8 stores, cap. $27,804; 1 cotton fac. 1,000 sp., 1 tannery, 13
flouring m., 40 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $72,718. 6
acad. 219 students, 8 sch. 233 scholars. Pop. 1830, 9,326; 1840,
whites 4,693, slaves 3,880, free col'd 336; total 8,909.
Richmond, County, Ga. Situated in the E. part
of the state, and contains 384 sq. ms. Savannah r. runs on its
n. e. border, and Brier cr. on its s. w., by branches of which
it is watered. The railroad from Augusta to Decatur crosses its
N. part. Capital, Augusta. There were in 1840, neat cattle
5,149, sheep 753, swine 10,797; wheat 1,670 bushels produced,
Ind. corn 183,015, oats 1,912, potatoes 28,079, cotton 692,275
pounds; 265 stores, cap. $1,281,870; 12 commission houses, cap.
$245,000; 2 furnaces, 2 cotton fac. 2,000 sp., 1 flouring m., 15
grist m., 18 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 periodicals, 2 daily,
4 weekly, and 2 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$182,500. 8 acad. 224 students, 4 sch. 36 scholars. Pop. whites
5,650, slaves 6,096, free col'd 186; total, 11,932.
Richmond, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 15 s. by w. Augusta, 585 W.
Situated on the w. side of Kennebec r. A mill stream passes
through it to the s., and enters the Kennebec at Merrymeeting
bay. Incorporated in 1823. It has some navigation, and vessels
are built here. It has 12 stores, cap. $22,850; 1 tannery, 1
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $31,000. 1 acad. 50
students, 9 sch. 472 scholars. Pop. 1,604.
Richmond, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 61 s. w. Concord, 424 W.
Situated on the s. border of the state. The surface is mostly
level soil, moderately fertile. Drained by branches of Ashuelot
r. A pond in its s. part flows into Millers r. Chartered in
1752. It has 15 sch. 418 scholars. Pop. 1,165.
Richmond, p-t., Chittenden co., Vt., 13 s. e. Burlington, 27 w.
n. w. Montpelier, 513 W. Onion r. runs on its n. border.
Huntington r. runs through it. These streams afford water power.
The surface is uneven, with extensive and fertile flats along
the streams. At the centre is a church with 16 sides, with a
neat steeple rising from the centre, and which is occupied by
several denominations. The stage road from Burlington to
Montpelier passes along the n. side of Onion r. It has 3 stores,
cap. $5,100; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $3,800. 8 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 1,054.
Richmond, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 142 w. Boston, 369 W. It
occupies a fertile valley, 3 ms. wide, with mountains on the e.
and w. The soil is fertile and well cultivated. Drained by a
branch of Housatonic r. It has 4 stores, cap. $12,000; 1
tannery, 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. 1 acad. 9 students, 5
sch. 183 scholars. Pop. 1,097.
Richmond, t., Washington co., R. I., 30 s. s. Providence. The
surface is uneven; soil, a gravelly loam, well adapted to
grazing. Wood r. runs on its w. border, and Charles r. on the
s., several branches of which water the interior, and all afford
good water power. Stonington railroad passes through the s. e.
corner of the t. It has 2 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 6 cotton
fac. 7,038 sp., 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $113,400. 2 sch. 50
scholars. Pop. 1,361.
Richmond, t., Ontario co., N. Y., 14 w. Canandaigua, 209 w.
Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam. Honeoye lake lies
partly in the s. part. Drained by its outlet N. It has 6 stores,
cap. $33,600; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 1
distillery, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $54,600. 1 acad. 25 students, 14 sch. 641 scholars
Richmond, p-v., capital of Richmond co., N. Y., 159 s. by w.
Albany, 237 W. Pleasantly situated near the centre of Staten
Island, and contains a court house and jail, 1 Presbyterian and
1 Episcopal church, 3 stores, 30 dwellings, and about 200
Richmond, t., Crawford co., Pa. It has cap. in manufac. 8900. 5
sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 771.
Richmond, t., Tioga co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,800; 1
fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$13,350. 2 sch. 82 scholars. Pop. 742.
Richmond, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is level; soil,
calcareous loam and gravel, fertile and well cultivated. It
contains 2 churches, common to Lutherans and Presbyterians.
Watered by Moslem creek, which affords water power. Iron ore is
found on the border of Maiden creek t., adjoining. It has 5
stores, cap. $16,600; 1 furnace, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $12,000. Pop. 1,997.
Richmond, p-v., Lower Mount Bethel t., Northampton co., Pa., 119
e. n. e. Harrisburg, 212 W. Situated on a small stream, 2 miles
w. of Delaware r. It contains 2 stores, 2 tanneries, and about
Richmond, city and port of entry, and capital of Henrico co.,
and of the state of Virginia, is situated on James r., at the
lower falls, at the head of tidewater, and is in 37° 30' n.
lat., and 77° 31' w. Ion. from Greenwich, and 0° 27' w. Ion.
from W. It is 23 miles n. from Petersburgh; and 117 s. by w.
from W. The population in 1800 was 5,737; in 1810, 9,785; in
1820, 12,067 in 1830, 16,060; in 1840, 20,153. It is beautifully
located on the w. side of the r., between 50 and 60 miles above
City Point, and 150 miles above the mouth of the river. It is
directly opposite to Manchester, to which it is connected by 2
bridges. The situation is healthy and highly picturesque. The
deaths do not exceed 1 in 85 of the population, annually.
Shockoe and Richmond hills stand opposite to each other and
Shockoe creek, an active stream, passes between them; and the
city is spread over these hills, and along the margin of the
creek. The elevations present many picturesque views of the
city, of James r., and of the surrounding country. The city
contains about 1,400 houses, a large proportion of which are of
brick, with slated roofs. The city is regularly laid out, the
streets generally crossing each other at right angles. The city
plat covers an area of about three and a half square miles, but
a moderate portion of which is yet covered with buildings. The
houses arc neat and convenient, and many of them are elegant. In
the western division of the city, on an elevated plain,
denominated Shockoe Hill, stands the capitol. It has a very
commanding situation, in the centre of a beautiful public
square, of an oblong form, containing about 8 acres, ornamented
with grass plats and graveled walks. It is a spacious and
elegant building, surrounded on 3 sides by a lofty portico of
the Ionic order. In the center of a spacious hall, in the middle
of the building, stands a marble statue of Washington, executed
in Paris. Near it is a marble bust of Lafayette. In one angle of
Capitol Square stands the City Hall, decorated at each end by a
fine Doric portico of 4 columns. On the eastern part of Capitol
Square is a house erected for the residence of the governor of
the state. In another angle of the same square is the county
court house. In the western suburbs of the city is the State
Penitentiary, a large building, in the form of a hollow-square,
300 feet long and 110 feet broad, with several acres of ground
connected with it. In the suburbs of the city, on the n., is the
Almshouse, a spacious building, surrounded by extensive grounds.
The other public buildings are a county and city jail, an orphan
asylum, a theatre, a museum, 2 markets, an armory 320 by 29J
feet, an academy, and a Masonic hall. The city is supplied by
water, winch is elevated by water power, and 2 forcing pumps,
into 3 large reservoirs, containing 1,000,000 gallons each, from
which it is distributed over the city, and forms a great
resource in case of fire, as well as a supply for the
inhabitants. The cost of these works was about $120,000.
There are two banks in the city. There are 16 churches, of which
the Episcopalians have 6, the Presbyterians 3, the Baptists 3,
the 3 Methodists 3, the Roman Catholics, Friends, Unitarians,
one each, and the Jews have a synagogue. Some of the churches
are large and elegant buildings.
Richmond is well situated for commerce. V easels drawing 10 feet
of water come to Rockets, about a mile below the centre of the
city , and those drawing 15 feet to Warwick, 3 miles below the
city. The falls in James r. are obviated by the canal, and above
them it is navigable for boats 220 miles. Regular lines of
packets connect this city with New York and other places, and it
is connected by steamboats to Norfolk. The principal articles of
exportation are wheat, flour, and tobacco. The exports amount to
about $3,000,000 annually. The tonnage of this port in 1840, was
The manufactures of Richmond are also extensive. The falls of
the James river afford a water power of unlimited extent. There
were in 1840, 17 foreign commercial and 29 commission houses,
cap. $3,062,000; 256 retail stores, cap. $1,646,450; 3 lumber
yards, cap. $24,000; 4 furnaces, and 8 forges, &c, cap.
$317,900; machinery produced amounted to $128,000; 1 cotton fac.
5,810 sp., cap. $175,000; tobacco manufactories, capital
$192,250; 1 paper fac, cap. $75,000; 21 flouring m., 2 grist m.,
3 saw m., total cap. $61,000; 8 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2
daily, 6 weekly, and 2 semi-weekly newspapers, and 1 periodical,
cap. $48,700. Total cap. in manufac. $1,372,950. 1 college 63
students, 13 acad. 753 students, 14 sch. 673 scholars.
Richmond was founded by an act of the legislature of the state,
in 1742; and the seat of government was removed from
Williamsburg to this place in 1780. In 1787 it contained about
300 houses. The canal around the falls of James river, which has
added so much to the commercial advantages of Richmond, was
completed in 1794. December 26th, 1811, the theatre of Rich-mond
took fire, during an exhibition, when 600 persons were present,
of whom 66 white persons and 6 people of color lost their lives.
Among the former was George William Smith, Esq., the governor of
the state. To commemorate this sad event, an Episcopal,
denominated the Monumental Church, has been erected on the spot.
It is an octangular building, two sides projecting and forming
wings; and it has a monument in front.
Richmond, p-v., Dallas co., Ala., 104 s. Tuscaloosa, 879
Richmond, p-v., capital of Madison par., La., 200 n. w. New
Orleans. Situated on the w. side of the Roundaway Bayou, at its
junction with Brushy Bayou, 10 ms. w. of the Mississippi r. It
contains a court house and a few dwellings.
Richmond, p-v., Bedford co., Tenn., 70 s. Nashville, 694 W.
Richmond, p-v., capital of Madison co., Ky., 18 s. e. Frankfort,
546 W. Situated on a small branch of Kentucky r. It contains a
court house, jail, 8 stores, and 822 inhabitants.
Richmond, p-v., Salem t., Jefferson co., O., 11 w. Steubenville,
134 e. by n. Columbus, 275 W. t contains 1 large brick church, 4
stores, a printing office, 60 dwellings, and about 400
Richmond, p-t., Macomb co., Mich. Watered by Belle r., and by
the e. fork of Clinton branch of Red r., and by head branches of
South r., which 2 last flow into Lake St. Clair. It has 6 ch.
123 scholars. Pop. 602.
Richmond, p-v., Wayne co., Ia., 68 e. Indianapolis, 503 W.
Richmond, p-v., capital of Ray co., Mo., 142 w. n. w. Jefferson
City, 1,045 W. Situated on the s. side of Elkhorn cr., and
contains a courthouse, jail, and about 500 inhabitants.
Richmond City, p-v., Lake co., O., 177 n. e. Columbus, 351 W.
Situated on the w. side of Grand r., 1½ ms. from its entrance
into Lake Erie. Has several stores and warehouses, a steam m.,
and a ship-yard. It is at the head of navigation, on the r. and
steamboats and vessels come to its wharves. It divides the
business of the region with Fairport, nearly opposite, on the e.
side of the r., and Painsville in the vicinity.
Richmond Dale, p-o., Richmond t., Ross co., O., 51 s. Columbus,
Richmond, t., Huron co., O. It has 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,200. 2 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 306.
Richmond Factory, p-o., Richmond co., Ga., 102 e. Milledgeville.
Richmond Valley, p-o., Westfield t., Rich-mond co., N. Y., 167
s. Albany, 245 W.
Richmondville, p-v., Richmond t., Lincoln co., Me., 20 s.
Augusta, 590 W. Situated on the w. side of Kennebec r.
Richmondville, p-v., Cobleskill t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 47 w.
Albany, 381 W. It contains 3 stores, 1 clothier's works and
carding machine, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Rich Square, p-o., Northampton co., N. C, 124 n. e. Raleigh, 227
Rich Valley, p-o., Wythe co., Va.
Rich Valley, p-o., Bedford co., Tenn., 64 s. Nashville, 687 W.
Richville, p-v., De Kalb t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 187 n. w.
Albany, 456 W. It contains 2 churches, 1 store, 1 grist m., 1
saw m., 1 clothier's works, 30 dwellings, and about 150
Rich Wood, p-o., Union co., O., 57 n. w. Columbus, 447 W.
Rich Woods, p-o., Izard co., Ark., 120 n. Little Rock, 1,076 W.
Ridge, or Ridge Road, is an elevated alluvial way, consisting of
beach, sand, and gravel stones, 6 or 8 rods wide, extending from
the Genesee r. near Rochester, to the Niagara r. near Lewiston,
on which is an excellent road, from 6 to 10 ms. s. of the shore
of Lake Ontario. It seems to have formerly bounded the lake on
Ridge, p-o., Mount Morris t., Livingston co., N. Y., 246 w.
Albany, 357 W.
Ridge, p-o., St. Marys co., Md., 110 s. Annapolis, 87 W.
Ridge, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C, 40 w. Columbia, 538 W.
Ridge, p-o., Troy t., Madison co., Ill., 81 s. Springfield, 787
Ridge, t., Hancock co., O. It has 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac.
$600. 3 sch. 127 scholars. Pop. 477.
Ridge, t., Van Wert co., O. Pop. 211.
Ridgebury, p-v., Ridgefield t., Fairfield co., Ct., 74 s. w.
Hartford, 287 W. Situated in the n. part of Ridgefield, and
contains a Congregational church and a number of dwellings.
Ridgebury, p-v., Minisink t., Orange co., N. Y., 113 s. by w.
Albany, 270 W. It contains 1 church, an academy, 3 stores, 30
dwellings, and about 180 inhabitants.
Ridgebury, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 18 n. w. Towanda. The
surface is hilly soil, gravelly loam. Drained by Bentley and
South creeks, which flow into Tioga r., in N. Y. It has 7 sch.
260 scholars. Pop. 1,214.
Ridge Farm, p-o., Vermilion co., Ill.
Ridgefield, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 31 w. by n. New Haven, 81
s. w. Hartford, 281 W. The surface is elevated, commanding a
fine view of Long Island sound, which is 14 ms. distant, and the
adjacent country. The soil is a fertile gravely loam. Drained by
Saugatuck and Norwalk rivers, which afford water power, and an
e. branch of Croton r. The v. is pleasantly situated on a street
1 m. long, and contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, an academy, several stores, 1
extensive carriage fac, 1 cabinet furniture fac, and about 60
dwellings. It has 12 stores, cap. 826,000; 1 lumber yard, cap.
$6,C00; 1 furnace, 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $93,100. 3 acad. 44 students, 14 sch. 392
scholars. Pop. 2,474.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!