Ridgeville, NY to Rochester, City, NY
Ridgeville, p-o., Lenox t., Madison co., N. Y., 122 w. by n.
Albany, 369 W.
Ridgeville, p-o., Carroll co., Md.
Ridgeville, p-o., Hampshire co., Va., 203 n. n. w. Richmond, 131
Ridgeville, p-v., Butler co., Ala., 128 s. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 894
Ridgeville, p-v., Warren co., O., 79 s. w. Columbus. 465 W.
Ridgeville Corners, p-o., Henry co., O.
Ridge way, p-t., Orleans co., N. Y., 10 w. Albion, 262 w. by n.
Albany, 400 W. The surface is chiefly level; soil, fertile.
Drained by Oak Orchard cr. It contains 5 post-offices. It has 20
stores, cap. $123,694; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 2
tanneries, 1 brewery, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 3
flouring m., 2 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 8199,450. 1
acad. 97 students, 21 sch. 989 scholars. Pop. 3,554.
Ridgeway, t., Jefferson co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. 8300; 1
tannery, 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 825,700. 1 sch. 30 scholars.
Ridgeway, t., Bradford co., Pa. The surface is rolling; soil,
fertile. Drained by Toby's and Kersey's creeks, and Clarion r.,
and their tributaries. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,500; 1 tannery,
1 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,750. 7 sch. 260
scholars. Pop. 1,214.
Ridgeway, p-v., Jefferson co., Va., 161 n. Richmond, 253 W.
Ridgeway, p-o., Gallia co., O.
Ridgeway, p-v., Lenawee co., Mich., 61 s. w. Detroit, 513 W. It
contains a store and a steam saw m.
Ridgeway, p-o., Warren co., N. C, 57 n. e. Raleigh, 231 W.
Ridgeway, p-o., Iowa co., Wis., 35 w. Madison, 832 W.
Ridley, t., Delaware co., Pa. It has 2 sch. Ill scholars. Pop.
Rienza, p-v., Tishemingo co., Miss., 233 n. e. Jackson, 838 W.
Riga, p-o., Litchfield co., Ct., 56 w. Hartford, 332 W.
Riga, p-t, Monroe co., N. Y., 241 w. by n. Albany, 382 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, fertile. Drained by Black cr. The
Tonawanda railroad passes through the t. It has 3 stores, cap.
$11,000; 4 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 1
distillery, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,895. 2
acad. 65 students, 14 sch. 774 scholars. Pop. 1,984.
Riga, p-o., Lucas co., O., 152 n. w. Columbus, 483 W.
Riggs Cross Roads, p-o., Williamson co., Tenn., 31 s. Nashville,
Riley, t., St. Clair co., Mich. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,200. Pop. 114.
Riley, p-o., Vigo co., Ia., 83 w. s. w. Indianapolis, 654 W.
Riley, t., Pope co., Ark. It has 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac.
$900. Pop. 393.
Rileysville, p-v., Wayne co., Pa., 191 n. e. Harrisburg, 285 W.
Rindge, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 67 s. s. w. Concord, 435 W.
The .surface is moderately uneven; soil, productive. It contains
13 ponds. Of these, 3 flow into Miller's r., which flows into
Connecticut r., and 3 into Contoocook r., which flows into the
Merrimac. It therefore contains the dividing ridge, which is
very narrow, between the waters of Connecticut r. and Merrimac
r. Iron ore is found here, and a paint resembling Spanish-brown.
Incorporated in 1763. It has 4 stores, cap. $9,500; 1 tannery, 3
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,150. 13 sch. 393
scholars. Pop. 1,161.
Ringoes, p-v., Amwell t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 19 n. w.
Trenton, 176 W. Situated at the foot of Rock mountain, and
contains 1 Presbyterian church, an academy, 3 stores, 1 cotton
fac, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., and about 40 dwellings.
Ripley, County, Ia. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. The surface is generally
level; soil, fertile, adapted to grain. Drained by Laugherty and
Graham's creeks, which flow into the Ohio. Capital, Versailles.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,200, sheep 5,433, swine 6,338;
wheat 22,173 hush, produced, Ind. corn 115,883, oats 158,413,
potatoes 9,191, tobacco 5,051 pounds, sugar 19,886; 22 stores,
cap. $44,350; 7 tanneries, 1 distillery, 3 flouring m., 5 grist
m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,537. 1 acad. 20 students, 2
sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 10,392.
Ripley, County, Mo. Situated toward the s. E.
part of the state, and contains 1,030 sq. ms. The surface is
hilly; soil, fertile on the streams. Drained by Big Black,
Current, and Eleven Point rivers. Capital, Van Buren. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 4,405, sheep 2,769, swine 12,624 : wheat
7,442 bush, produced, Ind. com 161,503, oats 5,791, potatoes
3,539, tobacco 19,529 pounds, cotton 7,315, sugar 5,220; 6
stores, cap. $8,150; 8 distilleries, 20 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $37,390. 5 sch. 60 scholars. Pop. whites 2,777,
slaves 77, free col'd 2; total, 2,856.
Ripley, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 30 n. e. Norridgewock, 66 n. by
e. Augusta, 661 W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has
a pond which forms the source of Sebasticook r. Incorporated in
1816. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $2,100. 5 schools, 264 scholars. Pop. 591. ,
Ripley, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 10 w. Mayville, 350 w. by
s. Albany, 358 W. The surface is hilly; soil, mostly clay loam,
mixed in with sand, and fertile. Drained by Twenty Mile cr.,
flowing into Lake Erie, which bounds it on the n. It is the
westernmost town in the state, and contains the v. of Quincy. It
has 1 store, cap. $7,000; 1 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 3 grist m.,
8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,208. 2 acad. 35 students, 17 sch.
747 scholars. Pop. 2,197.
Ripley, p-v., Union t., Brown co., O., 115 s. w. Columbus, 474
W. Situated on the n. side of Ohio r., immediately below the
mouth of Red Oak cr., 56 ms. above Cincinnati. It contains 1
Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, a college, 12 stores, 1
iron foundry, 1 engine fac, 2 steam saw m., 1 steam woolen fac,
1 oil m., 2 carding machines, 2 tanneries, 1 steamboat yard, 100
dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants.
Ripley, t., Holmes co., O. It has 3 sch. 122 scholars. Pop.
Ripley, t., Huron co., O. It has 6 sch. 181 scholars. Pop. 805.
Ripley, p-v., Brown co., Ill.
Ripley, p-v., capital of Lauderdale co., Tenn., 175 w.
Nashville, 857 W. Situated on Cane cr., a branch of Big Hatchee
r. It contains a court house, jail, an academy, and 250
Ripley, p-v., capital of Tippah co., Miss., 207 n. n. e.
Jackson, 864 W. It contains a courthouse, jail, and 150
Ripley's, p-o., Tyler co., Va., 300 n. w. Richmond, 268 W.
Ripleyville, p-o., Ripley t., Huron co., O., n. by e. Columbus,
Ripton, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 51 s. w. Montpelier, 489 W. The
surface is mountainous and broken. Watered by Middlebury r.,
which affords water power, and along which is some good land. It
has 1 tannery, 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,200. 3 sch. 79
scholars. Population, 357.
Risdon, p-o., Seneca co., O., 93 n. Columbus, 433 W. Pop. 27.
Risdon, p-v., St. Clair co., Ill., 121 s. Springfield, 831 W.
Rising Fawn, p-o., Dade co., Ga., 252 n. w. Milledgeville, 640
Rising Sun, p-v., Philadelphia co., Pa., 101 e. s. e.
Harrisburg, 141 W. Situated on the Germantown road, 3 ms. from
Philadelphia, and contains 4 stores, and about 70 dwellings.
Rising Sun, p-o., Cecil co., Md., 82 n. e. Annapolis, 92 W.
Rising Sun, p-v., Dearborn co., la., 95 s. e. Indianapolis, 526
W. Situated on the n. bank of the Ohio r.
Rising Sun, p-o., Van Buren co., Iowa.
Richieville, p-v., Dinwiddie co., Va., 41 s. Richmond, 160 W.
Rittersville, p-o., Lehigh co., Pa., 91 e. n. E. Harrisburg, 184
River, p-o., Clarion co., Pa., 204 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 270 W.
River Head, p-o., New London co., Ct., 49 s. E. Hartford, 334 W.
River Head, p-t., capital of Suffolk co., N. Y., 226 s. s. e.
Albany, 306 W. (Post-office called Suffolk C. H.) The surface is
mostly level, with a broken range of sand cliffs on Long Island
sound, which bounds it on the n. The soil is chiefly sandy loam.
Drained by Peconic r., flowing E. into Little Peconic bay. The
v. is situated at the head of navigation on Peconic bay, and
contains a county hall and a surrogate's office. The courts have
set here for more than half a century. It has a Congregational
and a New Jerusalem church, an academy, a number of stores of
various kinds, various mechanic shops, 70 dwellings, many of
them neat, and about 450 inhabitants. Wood is extensively
exported to New York, which is loaded into the larger vessels 5h
ms. below, at Jamesport. There are in the t. 17 stores, cap.
$45,000 ; 3 lumber yards, cap. $5,300 ; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,300.
14 sch. 651 scholars. Pop. 2,449.
River Road Forks, p-o., Mt. Morris t., Livingston co., N. Y.,
247 w. Albany, 358 W.
River Side, p-o., Ulster co., N. Y.
River Styx, p-o., Guilford t., Medina co., O., 125 n. e.
Columbus, 346 W.
River Town, p-v., Campbell co.. Ga., 103 w. n. w. Milledgeville,
Rives, p-v.. Wilson co., Tenn., 33 e. Nashville, 661 W.
Rives, p-v., Richland co., O., 79 n. n. e. Columbus, 380 W.
Rives, C. H., p-v., and capital of Henry co.. Mo., 107 w. by .s.
Jefferson City, 1,043 W. It contains a court house, jail, and a
number of dwellings.
Rivesville, p-v.. Monongalia co., Va., 282 n. W. Richmond, 215
Rixeyville, p-v., Culpepper co., Va., 107 n. n. w. Richmond, 67
Road Hall, p-o., Lycoming co.. Pa., 83 n. Harrisburg, 193 W.
Roadstown, p-v., Cumberland co., N. J., 68 s. by w. Trenton, 179
Roadville, p-v., Charleston dist., S. C, 110 s. e. Columbia, 548
Roane, County, Tenn. Situated centrally toward
the e. part of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Watered by
Tennessee and Clinch rivers and their branches. Soil, fertile.
Capital, Kingston. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,140, sheep
10,970, swine 43,034; wheat 71,520 bush, produced, Ind. corn
639,064, oats 148,962, potatoes 18,064, tobacco 2,695 pounds,
cotton 24,151; 12 stores, cap. $199,600; 1 furnace, 4 forges, 1
cotton fac. 501 sp., 8 tanneries, 18 distilleries, 15 flouring
m., 37 grist m., 22 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $94,625. 1
acad. 30 students, 4 sch. 88 scholars. Pop. whites 9,590 slaves
1,298, free col'd 60; total, 10,948.
Roane, t., La Fayette co., Ark. Pop. 703.
Roanoke, r., Va. and N. C, is formed by the junction of Staunton
and Dan rivers, near the s. boundary of Va., and flows into the
head of Albemarle sound. It is navigable to the great falls at
Halifax, 75 ms., for vessels of 45 tons. A canal round the falls
opens the navigation for batteaux, to the junction of Staunton
and Dan rivers, both of which are navigable some distance for
boats of 5 tons.
Roanoke, County, Va. Situated s. w. of the
centre of the state, and contains 370 sq. ms. Drained by head
branches of Staunton r. Capital, Roanoke C. H. There were in
1840, neat cattle 5,337, sheep 6,087, swine 10,681; wheat
140,506 bush, produced, rye 13,536, Ind. Corn, 181,534,
buckwheat 278, oats 98,246, potatoes 6,303, tobacco 599,273; 13
stores, cap. $47,200 ; 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2 tanneries,
3 distilleries, 8 flouring m., 12 grist m., 16 saw m., 1 oil m.,
1 printing office, 1 weekly, 1 daily newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$39,675. 2 acad. 104 students, 5 sch. 93 scholars. Pop. whites
3,843, slaves 1,553, free col'd 101 ; total, 5,499.
Roanoke, v., Stafford t., Genesee co., N. Y. Situated on Allen's
cr., and contains 2 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 plaster
m., 1 furnace, and about 130 inhabitants.
Roanoke, p-v., Randolph co., Ala., 176 e. Tuscaloosa, 765 W.
Roanoke, p-v., Randolph co.. Mo., 75 n. n. w. Jefferson City,
Roanoke Bridge, p-o., Charlotte co., Va., 89 s. w. Richmond, 180
W. It contains a store and 1 mill.
Roaring Spring, p-v., Smyth co., Va., 274 w. by s. Richmond, 335
W. Situated on Cripple cr., 20 ms. above its entrance into New
Robb, t., Posey co., la. It has 4 stores, cap. $10,000 ; 1 saw
m. Pop. 1,098.
Robertson, County, Tenn. Situated in the n.
part of the state, and contains 300 sq. ms. Drained by branches
of Red r. and by Sycamore cr., which bounds it on the s.
Capital, Springfield. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,736,
sheep 12,015, swine 43,033; wheat 86,068 bush, produced, rye
7,416, Ind. corn 43,993, oats 97,289, potatoes 8,230, tobacco
1,163,833 pounds, cotton 12,394; 10 stores, cap. $65,000; 1
cotton fac. 212 sp., 5 tanneries, 19 distilleries, 6 flouring
m., 30 grist m., 22 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly and 7
periodical newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $29,136. Pop. whites
9,977, slaves 3,790, free col'd 34 ; total, 13,801.
Robertson's Store, p-o., Pittsylvania co., Va., 155 w. s. w.
Richmond, 238 W.
Robertson's Store, p-o., Lincoln co., Tenn., 100 s. Nashville,
Robertsville, p-v., Beaufort dist., S. C, 137 s. Columbia, 643
W. Situated on Black cr., a branch of Savannah r.
Robertsville, p-v., Anderson co., Tenn., 166 e. Nashville, 523
Robeson, County, N. C. Situated in the s. part
of the state, and contains 700 sq. ms. Drained by Lumber r. and
by head branches of Little Pedee r. Capital, Lumberton. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 14,830, sheep 12,513, swine 29,274;
wheat 2,646 bush, produced, Ind. corn 248,195, oats 1,579,
potatoes 54,632, cotton 547,595 pounds; 6 stores, cap. $21,000;
1 tannery, 58 grist m., 13 saw m., 2 acad. 61 students, sch.
1,126 scholars. Pop. whites 6,262, slaves 2,885, free col'd
1,223; total, 10,370.
Robeson, p-t., Berks co., Pa. Bounded on the n. e. by Schuylkill
r. Drained by Alleghany and Hay creeks, which flow into the
Schuylkill r. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly and sterile.
It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Lutheran church. It has 6
stores, cap. $12,500; 1 furnace, 7 forges, 3 tanneries. 4
flouring m., 5 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,000. Pop.
Robin's Nest, p-o., Peoria co., Ill., 84 n. Springfield, 798 W.
Robinson, t., Posey co., Ia. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,000. Pop. 1,004.
Robinsons Cross Roads, p-o., Bledsoe co., Tenn., 111 e. s. e.
Nashville, 596 W.
Robinson's, p-o., Brunswick co., N. C, 132 s. Raleigh, 381 W.
Robinson's, p-o., Franklin co., Ia., 74 E. s. e. Indianapolis,
Robinson's Store, p-o., Harford co., Md., 64 N. Annapolis, 74 W.
Robinson, t., Alleghany co., Pa., 6 n. w. Petersburg. The Ohio
r. bounds it on the n. The surface is hilly; soil, loam.
Chartiers cr. is on the s. e. boundary, and Montour's run on the
w. I boundary. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 fulling m., 2
woolen fee, 5 flouring m., 5 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$10,000. 9 sch. 315 scholars. Pop. 1,694.
Robinstown, p-t., Washington co., Me., 193 e. n. e. Augusta, 779
W. Situated on the Schoodic or St. Croix r., opposite to St.
Andrews, N. Brunswick. It has great facilities for navigation,
and considerable trade in lumber. Vessels are built here.
Incorporated in 1811. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,500; 4 lumber
yards, cap. $2,800; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,300; 6 sch. 323 scholars. Pop. 822.
Robison's, p-o., Darke co., O.
Rob Roy, p-v., Fountain co., Ia., 69 w. n. w. Indianapolis, 6 10
Rocheport, p-v., Boone co., Mo., 49 n. w. Jefferson City, 954 W.
Situated on the n. bank of Missouri r., and contains about 100
Rochester, p-t., and semi-capital of Strafford co., N. H., 46 e.
Concord, 505 W. Salmon Falls r., which bounds it on the n. e.,
and Cocheco r. which drains it, afford water power. The surface
is uneven, and much of the soil is fertile. Incorporated in
1722. There is a considerable v. at the falls on Cocheco r. It
has 11 stores, cap. $23,300; 4 fulling m., 3 woolen fac., 2
tanneries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$76,450. 17 sch. 788 scholars. Pop. 2,431.
Rochester, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 43 s. w. Montpelier, 482 W.
The surface is mountainous and broken; soil, much of it fertile.
Drained by White r. and a branch, which afford water power.
Chartered in 1780. The v., at the centre, is pleasantly situated
on the e. bank of White r., and contains a Congregational
church, and some mills, and considerable trade. There are in the
t. 3 stores, cap. $17,000; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m.,
7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,000. 13 sch. 469 scholars. Pop.
Rochester, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 54 s. s. e. Boston, 441 W.
Buzzard's bay bounds it on the s. The surface is uneven; soil,
moderately fertile. In some parts it is rocky and unfit for
cultivation, and in some places very fertile. Drained by
Mettapoiset and Sippican rivers. The principal v. is called
Mattapoiset, situated on an inlet from Buzzard's bay, and
contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1
Universalist, various mechanic shops, and about 100 dwellings.
The principal business is ship building, and the whale fishery.
It has a good harbor, and the largest whale ships come to its
wharves. Salt is extensively manufactured here. There are in the
t. 17 stores, cap. $22,600; 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $25,500. 1 acad. 100 students, 23 sch. 1,092 scholars.
Rochester, City, capital of Monroe co., N. Y., is situated on
both sides of Genesee r., 7 s. Like Ontario, 220 w. by n.
Albany, 141 w. Utica, 73 E. Buffalo, 87 Niagara falls, 369 W.
Pop. 1820, 1,502; 1830, 9,269; 1840, 20,191. It contains an area
of 4,324 acres, and was incorporated village in 1817, and as a
city in 1834. It is well built, and contains many large and fine
stores and many neat and some splendid dwelling houses; to many
of which beautiful gardens are attached, ornamented with
shrubbery. The number of dwelling houses is about 2,000. The e.
and w. parts of the city are connected by 3 bridges. The Erie
canal passes through the centre of the place, and here crosses
the Genesee r. in a splendid aqueduct. The Genesee Valley canal,
now constructing, also terminates here, connecting with the Erie
canal. The great western railroad passes through the place. The
public, buildings and institutions are, a court house, jail,
county clerk's office, 2 markets, 6 banking houses, 1 savings
bank, 1 mutual insurance co., 22 churches, 3 Baptist, 1
Congregational, 1 Covenanter, 2 Episcopal, 2 Friends, 1
Lutheran, 2 Methodist, 5 Presbyterian, 2 Roman Catholic, 1
Universalist, and 2 African, a museum, a Collegiate Institute, 2
female seminaries, 2 orphan asylums, the arcade building, in
which is the post-office, a Mechanics' Literary Association, a
Young Men's Association, and an Atheneum.
Rochester owes its great advantages and its rapid growth
especially to a vast water power created here by the falls in
Genesee r., which amount to 26S feet within the bounds of the
city, in which are 3 successive perpendicular falls of 96, 20,
and 105 feet, besides rapids. On these rapids and falls are many
large flouring nulls, and other hydraulic works. It is estimated
that, independently of the capital invested in these mills, it
requires $2,000,000 annually to keep them in operation, and that
they produce annually about $3,500,000. Rochester is finely
situated for commerce. Vessels come up the Genesee r. to
Carthage, which is 2* miles below the centre of the city, where
steamboats daily arrive and depart, and to which there is a
railroad. The river is also boatable above the city, 45 ins. to
Mount Morris. The Erie canal gives it access to the e. and w.
and the Genesee Valley canal, when completed, will connect it
with Olean on the Susquehanna, and greatly add to its
advantages. It has a railroad communication E. to Boston, Mass.,
and w. to Batavia, which will soon be extended to Buffalo. These
facilities for transportation have completed the advantages
derived from its immense water power, and the rich agricultural
country by which it is surrounded.
There were in the city in 1840, 1 commercial and 1 commission
house, cap. $15,100; 266 retail stores, cap. $1,238,890; 2
lumber yards, cap. $30,000; machinery manufactured, value
S-43,000; 4 fulling m., 4 woolen fac, capital $58,616; 1 cotton
fac. 3,000 sp., cap. $50,000; 3 tanneries, cap. $128,500; 3
distilleries, 3 breweries, cap. $60,300; 1 pottery, 1 rope walk,
22 flouring m., 8 saw m., 1 oil m., total cap. $945,600; 2 paper
fac, 9 printing offices, 1 bindery, 4 daily, 5 weekly, and 1
semi-weekly newspaper, 2 periodicals; 61 brick and stone, and 68
wooden houses, built at a cost of $401,270. Total cap. in
manufac. $1,963,017. 4 acad. 662 students, 33 sch. 2,870
In 1812 there were only 2 wooden frame buildings on the spot,
each consisting of a single room; and when a few years before, a
proposal was made in the state legislature to build here a
bridge across the Genesee, it was strongly opposed, and a member
declared, that it was "a God-forsaken place, inhabited by
muskrats, and visited only by straggling trappers." With the
exception of Lowell, Mass., the United States does not probably
present another instance of equally rapid growth.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!