Rochester, NY to Rocky Mount, VA
Rochester, t., Ulster co., N. Y., 16 s. w. Kingston, 74 s. by w.
Albany. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, clay and
loam. Drained by Rondout cr. and its tributaries. Shawangunk
mountain occupies a part of the t. has 9 stores, cap. $11,500; 2
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 7 grist m., 11 saw m.
3ap. in manufac. $19,110. 10 sch. 503 scholars. J op. 2,674.
Rochester, p-v., Salem t., Warren co., O., 9. s. e. Lebanon, 75
s. w. Columbus. Situated half a m. s. of Little Miami r., and
contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 5 mechanic shops, and about 259
Rochester, v., Beaver co., Pa. Situated on the e. bank of the
Beaver r., at its junction with the Ohio r. Pop. 400.
Rochester, p-o., Avon t., Oakland co., Mich., 23 n. w. Detroit,
551 W. Situated near the junction of Paint cr. with Clinton r.,
both of which streams afford water power. It contains stores, 1
flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 iron foundry, and 1 tannery.
Rochester, p-v., Racine co., Wis., 87 e. s. e. Madison, 796 W.
Situated a little e. of Fox r., on the s. side of a branch of
that r. near its mouth.
Rochester, p-v., capital of Fulton co., Ia., 95. Indianapolis,
616 W. Situated a little s. of Tippecanoe r. It contains a court
house, jail, and a number of dwellings.
Rochester, p-v., Sangamon co., Ill., 10 e. Springfield, 772 W.
Situated at the junction of n. and s. forks of Sangamon r. It
contains steam m. and other mills, and about 30 dwellings.
Rock, r., Wis. and III. Its principal head is in region of lakes
and swamps, towards Fox r. of Green bay, its course s. and then
s. w. Another head is Catfish, a stream in Wis., that connects
the "Four lakes" the head waters of which commence in a swamp, a
few ms. s. of Fort Winnebago. After Rock r. enters Illinois it
receives several considerable tributaries, and it enters the
Mississippi 3 ms. below Rock Island. Much of the country through
which it passes in Ill. consists of prairie, with some timber
land. Its channel is generally lime and sandstone rock, and has
several rapids which injure the navigation at low water. It has
much fine land on its borders.
Rock, cr., Dist. Columbia, separates Georgetown from Washington
city, and enters the Potomac r. Two bridges cross it, near its
Rock, County, Wis. Situated in the s. part of
the ter., and contains 720 sq. ms. The surface is level, with
much prairie; soil, fertile. Drained by Rock r. and its
tributaries. Capital, Rockport. There were in 1840, neat cattle
1,804, sheep 131, swine 3,560; wheat 24,702 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 31,329, oats 21,990, potatoes 28,065, sugar 1,400 pounds; 1
distillery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,275. 3
sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 1,701.
Rock and Cave, p-o., Gallatin co., Ill., 214 s. s. e.
Springfield, 791 W.
Rockaway, p-v., Hempstead t., Queens co., N. Y., 168 s. Albany,
248 W. Situated on Rock-away bay, near the Atlantic ocean. It
contains 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 30 dwellings,
and about. 200 inhabitants.
Rockaway, p-v., Morris co., N. J., 8 n. Morristown, 61 n.
Trenton, 234 W. Situated on both sides of Rockaway r. It
contains 1 Presbyterian or Dutch Reformed church, 4 stores, 1
rolling m., 2 forges, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and about 30
Rockaway, beach, Hempstead t., Queens co., N. Y. It is a
peninsula, situated between Jamaica bay and the Atlantic ocean.
The v. contains 1 Methodist church, and about 20 or 25
dwellings. One m. w. of the v. is the Marine Pavilion and Rock
Hall, fine boarding houses. The former is delightfully situated
near the beach, and is one of the most fashionable water-ing
places in the vicinity of New York.
Rock Bottom, p-o., Middlesex co., Mass., 27 N. w. Boston, 420 W.
Rock Bridge, County, Va. Situated in the
central part of the state, and contains 680 sq. ms. The surface
is mountainous, with very fertile valleys, producing wheat, the
staple, and tobacco to a considerable extent. Drained by North
r. and its branches, a tributary of James r. It derives its name
from the celebrated Natural Bridge over Cedar cr., for a
description of which see Cedar creek. Capital, Lexington. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 13,452, sheep 19,821, swine 26.321;
wheat 263,756 bushels produced, rye 69,566, Ind. corn 504,646,
buckwheat 4,339, barley 140, oats 249,018, potatoes 35,597,
tobacco 293,755 pounds, cotton 60, sugar 140; 28 stores, cap.
$168,830; 3 furnaces. 3 forges, 14 tanneries, 36 distilleries, 2
potteries, 32 flouring m., 13 grist m., 56 saw m., 2 oil m., 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac $131,160.
1 college 83 students, 4 acad. 153 students, 23 sch. 740
scholars. Pop. whites 10,448, slaves 3,510, free col'd 326;
Rock Bridge, p-v., Gwinnett co., Ga., 87 N. w. Milledgeville,
Rockcastle, County, Ky. Situated a little s. e.
of the centre of the state, and contains 330 sq. ms. Drained by
branches of Dick's and Rockcastle rivers. The surface is
elevated, separating the waters of Cumberland r. from those of
Kentucky r. Capital, Mount Vernon. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 2,863, sheep 3,703, swine 5,613; wheat 8,472 bushels
produced, Ind. com 66,392, oats 29,395, potatoes 3,149, sugar
4,725 pounds; 2 stores, cap. $2,000; 3 tanneries, 5 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac $8,650. Pop. whites 3,023. slaves 377,
free col'd 9; total,3,409.
Rock Castle, p-v., Patrick co., Va., 230 w. s. w. Richmond, 305
Rock Castle, p-v., Trigg co., Ky., 236 s. w. by w. Frankfort,
763 W. Situated on the e. side of Cumberland river, and contains
about 50 inhabitants.
Rock City, p-o., Milan t., Dutchess co., N. Y. , 59 s. Albany,
Rock Creek, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 67 n. w. Raleigh, 300 W.
Rock Creek, p-o., Lewis co., Ky., 125 e. n. e. Frankfort, 450 W.
Rock Creek, p-o., Franklin co., Tenn., 83 s. s. e. Nashville,
Rock Creek, p-o., Cedar co., Iowa.
Rockdale, p-t., Crawford co., Pa., 246 n. w. Harrisburg, 319 W.
It has 1 fulling m. Cap. in manufac. $4,000. Pop. 767.
Rockdale, p-o., Newton co., Ga., 75 n. w. Milledgeville, 667 W.
Rockford, p-v., capital of Surry co., N. C, 145 w. by n.
Raleigh, 351 W. Situated on the n. side of Yadkin r., and
contains a court house, jail, and about 150 inhabitants.
Rockford, p-v., Coosa co., Ala., 120 e. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 803 W.
Rockford, p-v., Jackson co., Ia., 60 s. Indianapolis, 586 W.
Rockford, p-v., capital of Winnebago co., Ill., 203 n.
Springfield, 804 W. Situated at the rapids, on Rock r., where is
an immense water power. It is on a high and beautiful prairie,
on the w. side of the r. Steamboats come to this place, and a
ferry here crosses the river. It contains a court house, several
stores and dwellings.
Rock Grove, p-o., Stephenson co., Ill., 230 n. Springfield, 834
Rock Hall, p-v., Kent co., Md., 68 n. e. Annapolis, 108 W.
Rock Hill, p-t., Bucks co., Pa., Ill e. Harrisburg, 173 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, gravely. Drained by branches of Tohickon
cr. and Perkiomen cr.
Rock Hill, p-o., Union co., Ga.
Rock Hill, p-o., St. Louis co., Mo.
Rockhold's, p-o., Whitley co., Ky., 118 s. s. e. Frankfort, 550
Rockhouse Prairie, p-o., Buchanan co., Mo.
Rockingham, County, N. H. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 695 square miles. The surface is
uneven; soil, fertile and well cultivated. Great Bay is a large
body of water in its n. e. part, and connected with Piscataqua
r., which bounds it on the n. e. Massabesic Pond is a large
sheet of water in its w. part. Drained by Lamprey, Exeter,
Beaver, and Spiggot rivers. Capital, Portsmouth. There were in
1840, neat cattle 29,764, sheep 38,589, swine 15,477; wheat
20,392 bushels produced, rye 29,933, Ind. corn 204,504,
buckwheat 3,056, barley 26,036, oats 83,177, potatoes 805,367;
24 commercial and commission houses, capital $1,251,500; 303
stores, cap. $524,040; 6 lumber yards, cap. $11,000; cap.
invested in fisheries, $59,580; 5 furnaces, 16 fulling m., 4
woolen fac, 6 cotton fac. 19,500 sp.; 43 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 1 powder m., 4 potteries, 2 flouring m., 89 grist
m., 108 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 7 printing offices, 5
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $2,136,451. 19 acad. 1,015
students, 243 sch. 10,618 scholars. Pop. 45,771.
Rockingham, County, Va. Situated a little N. of
the centre of the state, and contains 833 sq. ms. Drained by
Shenandoah r. and its branches. The surface is hilly; soil, on
the streams, very fertile. Capital, Harrisonburg. There were in
1840, neat cattle 20,122, sheep 23,955, swine 38,765; wheat
375,187 bushels produced, rye 90,836, Ind. corn 470,5S4,
buckwheat 6,483, barley 1,027, oats 248,412, potatoes 41,186,
tobacco 37,182 pounds, sugar 3.330; 30 stores, capital $303,606;
1 furnace, 3 fulling m., 21 tanneries, 15 distilleries, 3
potteries, 35 flouring m., 16 grist in., 42 saw m., 4 oil m., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $174,165.
1 acad. 45 students, 26 sch. 799 scholars. Pop whites 14,944,
slaves 1,899, free col'd 501 : total 17,344.
Rockingham, County, N. C. Situated in the n.
part of the state, and contains 475 square ms. The surface is
elevated. Drained by the head branches of Haw and Dan rivers.
Capital, Wentworth. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,725, sheep
6,157, swine 30,074; wheat 61,015 bushels produced, rye 4,805,
Ind. corn 431,085; oats 149,402, potatoes 9,053, tobacco
1,777,205 pounds, cotton 23,947; 18 stores, cap. $83,250; 1
furnace, 1 cotton fac. 864 sp., 5 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 13
flouring m., 36 grist m., 25 saw m.,2 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$174,433. 11 acad. 244 students, 10 sch. 211 scholars. Pop.
whites 8,595, slaves 4,572, free col'd 275; total, 1 3,432.
Rockingham, p-t., Windham county, Vt. 93 s. Montpelier, 450 W.
Situated on the w. side of Connecticut r. The surface is uneven
: soil, j generally productive and well cultivated. Drained by
Williams' and Saxton's rivers, which afford water power, and
flow into Connecticut r. It contains Bellows falls, in
Connecticut river (See Bellows Falls v.) In 1785, a bridge was
erected over the Connecticut, which, until 1795, was the only
bridge over that river. Near the falls a great variety of
minerals are found. There are 3 villages in the t. one at the
centre, one at Bellows falls, and one in the s. part, on
Saxton's river, each of which contains a church. It has 12
stores, cap. $70,800; 7 fulling m., 4 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2
paper fac, 1 printing office, 2 binderies, 1 weekly newspaper, 1
periodical, 5 grist m., 7 saw m. Capital in manufactures,
Rockingham, p-v., capital of Richmond co., N. C, 135 s. w.
Raleigh, 409 W. Situated on Hitchcock's cr., 5 miles e. of Pedee
r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 200 inhabitants.
Rockingham, p-o., Scott co., Iowa.
Rock Island. Situated in the Mississippi r., at the foot of Rock
r. rapids, and is 3½ ms. long, and three fourths of a mile wide.
The sides are of perpendicular rock, 20 feet above the highest
floods. Fort Armstrong is situated on the lower extremity of the
Rock Island, County, Ill. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 366 sq. ms The Mississippi river
runs on its w. boundary Drained by Rock r. The surface is
various. The soil is fertile, and along the Mississippi is a
rich alluvion. Capital, Rock Island City. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 3,266, sheep 763, swine 6,569; wheat 21,170 bushels
produced, Ind. con 106,800, oats 20,815, potatoes 32,477,
tobacco 751 pounds, sugar 1,261; 15 stores, cap. $85,300; 1
distillery, 1 pottery, 3 flouring m., 3 grist m., 6 saw m., 1
printing office, 1 periodical, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $18,162. 9 sch. 206 scholars. Pop. 2,610.
Rock Island, p-o., Warren co., Tenn., 88 s e. Nashville, 611 W.
Rock Island City, p-v., capital of Rock Island co., Ill., 150
Springfield, 879 W. It has been laid out on an extensive scale,
at the junction of Rock r. and the Mississippi. It has been in
contemplation to cut a canal from the Mississippi above the
rapids, to Rock r., by which an immense water power would be
gained. It contains a court house, 12 stores, and about 800
Rock Island Rapids, in the Mississippi, commence at Rock Island,
just above the mouth of Rock r., and extend 15 ms. up the r.,
with a descent, in that distance, of 21 feet 10 inches. In
various places, ledges of rocks extend across the r., and, at
low water, are a great obstruction to navigation. The government
of the United States has done something for the improvement of
Rockland, County, N. Y. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 172 sq. ms. It is bounded on the
e. by Hudson r. The surface is hilly and mountainous, and much
broken; soil, fertile. It contains some valuable minerals,
particularly magnetic iron ore, and variegated marble. The New
York and Erie railroad commences at Piermont, and crosses the
co. Capital, New City v., in Clarkstown t. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 6,695, sheep 17,392, swine 11,511; wheat 3,650
bushels prod., rye 35,140, hid. corn 41,110, buckwheat 34,111,
oats 47,055, potatoes 48, 117; 53 stores, cap. $121,600; 5
lumber yards, cap. $50,000; 1 furnace, 3 forges, 4 fulling m., 4
woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 1,642 sp., 1 dyeing and print,
establishment, 5 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 20 grist, m., 11 saw
m., 1 paper fac. Cap. in manufac. $277,124. 28 sch. 1,099
scholars. Pop. 11,975.
Rockland, p-t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 102 s. w. Albany, 321 W.
The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, gravelly loam,
adapted to grass. Drained by Big Beaver Kill and its
tributaries. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,350; 1 tannery, 3 grist
m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,250. 1 sch. 194 scholars.
Rockland, p-t., Venango co., Pa., 212 w. n. v. Harrisburg, 234
W. It has 3 stores, cap. 59,000; 1 fulling m., 3 furnaces, 5
grist m., 5 saw a. Cap. in manufac. $4,500. 3 sch. 101 scholars.
Rockland Lake, p-o., Clarkstown t., Rock-and co., N. Y. Rockland
lake is a body of pure water, five ms. in circumference, 200
feet above the level of the Hudson. It abounds with fine fish,
but is chiefly valuable for its ice, and from it he city of New
York has been chiefly supplied nth that article. The ice, like
the water, is very pure.
Rockland, t., Bucks co., Pa. Surface hilly and broken. Drained
by Maxatawny and Sacony creeks. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1
furnace, 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 paper fac, grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,875. Pop. 1,649.
Rockland Mills, p-o., Augusta co., Va., 129 w. n. w. Richmond,
Rockland Mills, p-o., Saline co., Mo., 80 n. w. Jefferson City,
Rock Mills, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C, 171 w. n. w. Columbia,
Rock Mills, p-o., Hancock co., Ga., 39 n. e. Milledgeville, 640
Rock Mountain, De Kalb co., Ga. A high solitary peak, 2,226 feet
above the stream, which winds around its base. It is about 7
miles in circumference.
Rock Point, p-o., Independence co., Ark.
Rockport, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 32 n. e. Boston, 464 W.
Situated on the n. part of Cape Ann. has a harbor for small
vessels. It has 13 stores, cap. $10,410. Cap. in manufac.
$2,500. 6 sch. 2 scholars. Pop. 2,650.
Rockport, p-o., Northampton co., Pa.
Rockport, p-t., Cuyahoga co., O., 132 n. e. Columbus, 367 W.
Bounded n. by Lake Erie, watered by Rocky r. It contains the v.
of Granger. at the mouth of the r., which was laid out in lo. It
has 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 8 l 516 scholars. Pop.
1,235. Rockport, p-v., capital of Spencer co., Ia., 162 3. w.
Indianapolis, 689 W. Situated on the n. w. bank of Ohio r., on a
high bluff, and contains 4 stores, 1 tannery, 1 ship-yard, and
about 300 inhabitants.
Rockport, p-o., Hot Springs co., Ark., 46 w. s. w. Little Rock,
1,111 W. Situated on the e. side of Washita r.
Rock Rest, p-o., Chatham co., N. C, 41 w. Raleigh, 330 W.
Rock River Rapids, p-o., Whitesides co., III., 174 n.
Springfield, 837 W. Situated on the s. side of Rock r.
Rock Run, p-o., Harford co., Md., 67 n. Annapolis, 77 W.
Rock Run, p-o., Stephenson co., Ill., 229 n. Springfield, 827 W.
Rock Spring, p-o., Cecil co., Md.
Rock Spring, p-v., Hickman co., Ky., 302 w. s. w. Frankfort, 828
Rock Spring, p-v., St. Clair co., Ill., 18 e. St. Louis, 95 s.
Springfield, 801 W. Its name is derived from a series of
springs, issuing from ledges of rocks, at the place. It has an
elevated, healthy, and pleasant situation.
Rock Stream, p-o., Starkey t., Yates co., N. Y., 198 w. Albany,
Rockvale, p-o., Peoria co., Ill.
Rockville, p-v., Norfolk co., Mass., 26 s. Boston, 420 W.
Rockville, p-o., Belfast t, Alleghany co., N. Y., 269 w. by s.
Albany, 331 W.
Rockville, p-v ., Chester co., Pa., 58 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 133
Rockville, p-v., capital of Montgomery co., Md., 56 W.
Annapolis, 16 W. Situated on the head waters of Watts branch of
Potomac r., and contains a court house, jail, county offices,
about 60 dwellings, and 300 inhabitants.
Rockville, p-v., Adams co., O., 112 s. by w. Columbus, 446 W.
Rockville, p-v., Rowan co., N. C, 133 w. Raleigh, 370 W.
Rockville, p-v., Jefferson co., Ala.
Rockville, p-v., Putnam co., Ga., 32 n. Milledgeville, 633 W.
Rockville, p-v., capital of Parke co., Ia., 64 w. Indianapolis,
636 W. It contains a court house, jail, 10 stores, a printing
office, about 100 dwellings, and 650 inhabitants.
Rockville, p-v., Will co., Ill., 162 n. n. e. Springfield, 716
Rockville, p-v., Monroe co., Tenn., 164 e. s. e. Nashville, 537
Rockwell, p-o., Cleveland co., N. C.
Rocky Hill, p-v., Wethersfield t., Hartford co., Ct., 7 s.
Hartford, 333 W. Situated on the w. side of Connecticut r., and
contains a Congregational church, surrounded by a pleasant v. It
has a good landing place on the r. Some vessels are built here.
Rock Comfort, cr., Ga., rises w. of Warren-ton, and runs s. into
Ogeechee r., just below Louisville, and affords water power.
Rocky Hill, p-v., Montgomery t., Somerset co., N. J., 12 s. w.
Somerville, 14 n. by e. Trenton, 185 W. Situated on Millstone
r., and contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 woolen fac,
and about 15 dwellings.
Rocky Hill, p-o., Jackson co., O., 77 s. by E. Columbus, 381 W.
Rocky Hill, p-o., Barren co., Ky., 129 s. w. Frankfort, 652 W.
Rocky Mount, p-v., capital of Franklin co., Va., 179 w. by s.
Richmond, 254 W. Situated on a tributary of Roanoke r., and
contains a court house, jail, 2 stores, 1 tannery, 1 iron
furnace in the vicinity, which employs 100 laborers, and about
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!