Ross, PA to Russell, County, AL
Ross, t., Alleghany co., Pa., 4 n. Pittsburgh. The surface is
hilly; soil, loam. Drained by Pine cr. and its branches. It has
the Alleghany r. on the s. e., and Ohio r. on the s. w. border.
It contains the important borough of Alleghany. It has 4 grist
m., 5 saw m. Capital in manufac. $5,200. 6 sch. 350 scholars.
Ross, p-t., Butler co., O., 110 w. s. w. Columbus, 498 W. It has
9 sch. 506 scholars. Pop. 1,526.
Ross, t., Greene co., O. Pop. 1,337.
Ross, t., Jefferson co., O. The surface is hilly. Watered by Big
Yellow cr., along which are 5 several salt works in operation.
It contains also much stone coal, and some iron ore. Pop. 929.
Ross, p-o., Anderson co., Tenn., 82 e. Nashville, 521 W.
Rossburg, p-v., Decatur co., Ia.
Rosscommon, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 76 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 100
Ross Corners, p-o., York co., Me., 85 s. s. w. Augusta, 527 W.
Rossie, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 25 s. w. Canton, 183 n.
w. Albany, 452 W. The surface is undulating, and some broken;
soil, a fertile loam. Drained by Oswegatchie r., which here has
a curve, called the Oxbow, and by Indian r. Iron and lead ore
are found in great abundance. The v. is situated on Indian r.,
near the head of Black lake, and contains the lead mines, 6
stores, 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 iron foundry
and machine shop, 100 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. The
lead mines appear to be inexhaustible, and furnish the metal of
the purest kind. There are in the t. 3 stores, capital $6,400; 3
furnaces, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$20,780. 5 sch. 217 scholars. Pop. 1,553.
Rossville, p-v., Westfield t., Richmond co., N. Y., 163 s.
Albany, 241 W. Situated on Staten Island sound, and contains 2
stores, 2 carriage fac, and 12 or 15 dwellings. Steamboats from
New York land here daily in passing, and a ferry crosses to the
Jersey shore, called the Old Blazing Star Ferry.
Rossville, p-v., York co., Pa., 24 s. Harrisburg, 103 W.
Rossville, p-v., Baltimore co., Md.
Rossville, p-v., Cherokee co., N. C, 361 w. by s. Raleigh, 591
W. Situated on Valley r.
Rossville, p-v., Walker co., Ga., 221 n. w. Milledgeville, 615
W. Situated about 300 yards s. of the Tennessee line. Formerly a
missionary station in the Cherokee nation.
Rossville, p-t., Butler co., O., 102 w. s. w. Columbus, 490 W. A
wealthy and flourishing t. It has 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop.
Rossville, p-v., Clinton co., Ia., 164 n. by w. Indianapolis,
Rost Raver, p-t., Westmoreland co., Pa., 191 Harrisburg, 217 W.
It is bounded by the Youghiogheny r. on the e., and Monongahela
r. on the w. The surface is hilly; soil, calcareous loam. It has
3 stores, cap. $4,200; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries,
2 distilleries, 1 pottery, 5 flouring m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $35,990. 6 sch. 258 scholars. Pop. 1,880.
Rotherwood, p-o., Carroll co., Ga., 119 w. by N. Milledgeville,
Rotterdam, p-t., Schenectady co., N. Y., 22 w. n. w. Albany, 390
W. The surface is rolling; soil, a productive sandy loam and
alluvion. Mohawk r. bounds it on the n. e., and receives from it
small streams. It has 4 stores, cap. $8,050; 2 grist m., 3 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $2,700. 10 sch. 387 scholars. Pop.
Rough Creek Church, p-o., Charlotte co., Va., 107 s. w.
Richmond, 194 W.
Roulette, p-t., Potter co., Pa., 179 n. n. w. Harrisburg, 289 W.
It has 1 grist m. Pop. 152.
Round Grove, p-o., Carroll co., Mo., 137 n. w. Jefferson City,
Round Head, p-t., Hardin co., O., 89 n. w Columbus, 476 W.
Drained by the head waters of Scioto r. It ha6 1 tannery, 4 sch.
30 scholars Pop. 569.
Round Hill, p-v., Greenwich t., Fairfield co Ct., 85 s. w.
Hartford, 261 W. It contains a church and several dwellings.
Round Hill, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 34 n. w Raleigh, 270 W.
Round Hill, p-o., Cooper co., Mo., 40 w. n w. Jefferson City,
Round Lake, lies in Lake Pleasant t., Hamilton co., N., Y., and
flows, by an outlet half a mile long, into Lake Pleasant.
Round Prairie, p-o., Walworth co., Wis.
Rouse's Point, p-v., Champlain t., Clinton co N. Y., 185 n.
Albany, 560 W. Situated on the w. side of Lake Champlain, and
has a steam boat landing about half a mile s. of Canada line.
The v. contains 1 Methodist church, 3 stores, 20 dwellings, and
about 100 inhabitants. A little n. of the v., the United States
built, shortly after the late war, a strong fortification, in
the form of in round tower, pierced for several tiers of guns,
am which cost over $400,000, which was found to be within the
Canada line, and abandoned. It is nearly in ruins, but is now
within the United States, by the terms of the late treaty. The
site is highly favorable for a fortification, which will command
the entrance to Lake Champlain.
Rousseau, p-o., Morgan co., O., 79 e. by s. Columbus, 338 W.
Rowan, County, N. C. Centrally situated in the
w. part of the state, and contains 375 sq. ms. Drained by Yadkin
r. The soil is fertile. Capital, Salisbury. It had in 1840, 4
sch. 98 scholars. Pop. whites 8,646, slaves 3,365, free col'd
98; total, 12,109.
Rowe, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 22 w. by n. Greenfield, 130 w.
n. w. Boston. The surface elevated and uneven; soil, adapted to
grazing; Watered by Pelham brook, a branch of Deerfield r. It
contains 4 churches. The v. at the center contains 1
Congregational, 1 Unitarian, and Methodist church. The t. was
incorporate in 1785. There are in the t. 1 store, cap. $5,000;
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m , saw m. Cap. in
Rowesville, p-v., Bedford co., Tenn., 68 Nashville, 691 W.
Row's, p-o., Wayne co., O., 89 n. e. Columbus, 358 W.
Rowland, p-t., Hillsdale co., Mich. Pop. 83
Rowlandsville, p-v., Cecil co., Md., 73 n. Annapolis, 83 W.
Rowley, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 30 n. by Boston, 470 W. There a
large amount of s meadow. The arable soil is fertile. Water by
Rowley r., which affords water power and has a harbor at its
mouth for small vessels Plum island, off its coast, belongs to
this t. The v., at the centre, contains 2 churches and about 35
dwellings. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $4,800; 4
tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $32,050. 1
acad. 30 students, 3 sch. 218 scholars. Pop. 1,203.
Roxboro, t., Philadelphia co., Pa., 7½ Philadelphia. The surface
is hilly and rough soil, clay and loam. It contains the v. of
Manayunk, on the Schuylkill r., where a canal connects the pool
at Fairmount with that of Flat Rock. The dam presents a
beautiful cascade, and forms an interesting feature of the
picturesque scenery. Soapstone, or steatite, is found in the n.
w. part of the t. It has 24 stores, cap. $24,500; 1 lumber yard,
cap. $20,000; 1 forge, 11 fulling m., 4 woolen fac, 8 cotton
fac. 17,940 sp., 3 paper fac, 8 flouring m., 2 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $1,246,100. 12 sch. 746 scholars. Pop.
Roxborough, p-v., capital of Person co., N. C, 34 n. n. w.
Raleigh, 250 W. It contains a court house, jail, 2 stores, and
about 100 inhabitants.
Roxbury, p-t, Cheshire co., N. H., 49 s. w. Concord, 439 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, adapted to grazing. Drained by branches
of Ashuelot r. Incorporated in 1812. It has 3 sch. 92 scholars.
Roxbury, p-t., Washington co., Vt., 16 s. by w. Montpelier, 500
W. Drained by head branches of Dog r., which flows into Onion
r., and by head branches of White r., which flows into
Connecticut r. The surface is uneven; soil, fer-tile. Chartered
in 1781. Dog r. affords water power. It has 1 store, cap.
$4,050; 1 fulling m., 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,315. i sch. 93 scholars. Pop. 227.
Roxbury, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 2 s. Boston, 138 W. A great
part of the surface is rocky; but the soil is strong and highly
cultivated. It is joined to Boston by a neck of land, which
constitutes a broad avenue, and may be regarded as a
continuation of Washington street, Boston. In the w. part of the
t. is Jamaica plains, a level tract, with elegant country seats,
and well cultivated gardens. Here is a pond, by which the Boston
aqueduct is supplied. It is 4 miles from Boston, with 4 trains
of cast iron pipes, the aggregate length of which is 40 ms. The
v. at the entre contains 5 churches, 1 Unitarian, 1
Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Universalist, 2
banks, and many beautiful residences. There are 10 churches in
the t. Incorporated in 1630. It has 83 stores, cap. $755,000; 4
lumber yards, cap. $60,000; 5 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 2
binderies, 1 weekly newspaper, 5 grist in., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $350,000. 2 acad. 350 students, 20 sch. 881 scholars.
Roxbury, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 53 w. s. w. Hartford, 314 W.
The surface is uneven; soil, gravelly loam, with some sandy
loam. Shepaug, a tributary of the Housatonic, runs through the
t. from n. to s., in its w. part. It contains a Congregational
and an Episcopal church. It has stores, cap. $5,850; 2 grist m.,
3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,450. 7 sch. 211 scholars. Pop. 971.
Roxbury, p-t., Delaware co., N. Y., 20 e. Delhi, 65 s. w.
Albany, 352 W. The surface is hilly id mountainous; soil, sandy
loam, very fertile the valleys. Drained by Papacton branch of
Delaware r. It has 5 stores, cap. $21,000.; 1 fulling m., 4
tanneries, 5 grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. manufac. $63,600. 18 sch.
990 scholars. Pop. 3,013.
Roxbury, t., Morris co., N. J., 14 n. w. Morristown. Schooley's
mountain fills the greater portion of its area. On its summit is
Budd's pond, 2 ms. long and 1 broad, which has its outlet into
the s. branch of Raritan r. Black r. runs on its border. The
soil is clay loam, with a mixture calcareous loam. It has 9
stores, cap. $14,200; lumber yard, cap. $4,100; 1 forge, 2
fulling m., woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 1 pottery,
2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $8,300. 14 sch. 587 scholars. Pop.
Roxbury, p-v., Lurgan t., Franklin co., Pa., w. by s.
Harrisburg, 103 W. Situated on Conedogwinnet cr., on the e. side
of Blue mountain.
Royal Centre, p-o., Cass co., Ia.
Royal Oak, p-o., Talbot co., Md., 53 e. by s. Annapolis, 93 W.
Royal Oak, p-t., Oakland co., Mich., 14 N. Detroit, 538 W.
Watered by Red r. The v. contains 1 store, and 1 steam saw m.
The Detroit and Pontiac railroad passes through it. It has 4
stores, cap. $7,020; 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,345. 6 sch.
363 scholars. Pop. 860.
Royalston, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 74 w. Boston, 416 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, productive. Watered by Miller's r.,
which, with its branches, affords good water power. Incorporated
in 1765. It has 3 stores, cap. $25,000; 7 fulling m., 2 woolen
fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $61,350.
12 sch. 233 scholars. Pop. 1,667.
Royalton, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 33 s. Montpelier, 488 W. The
surface is broken and mountainous; soil, fertile, particularly
along White r., by which, and its branches, it is watered. The
v. is pleasantly situated on the bank of White r., and contains
a handsome Congregational church, an academy, a number of
stores, and some neat dwellings. There are in the t. 4 stores,
cap. $11,000; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 1 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,000. 1 acad. 36 students, 16
sch. 567 scholars. Pop. 1,917.
Royalton, p-t., Niagara co., N. Y., 8 e. Lock-port, 271 w.
Albany. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile calcareous
loam. Watered by Tonawanda cr., which bounds it on the s. It
contains the v. of Gasport, on the Erie canal, where are some
inflammable springs. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap.
$35,850; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$24,950. 16 sch. 744 scholars. Pop. 3,549.
Royalton, t., Cuyahoga co., O., 126 n. e. Columbus. Situated in
the s. part of the co. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 15 sch. 454
scholars. Pop. 1,051.
Royalton, t., Lucas co., O. It has 1 brewery. Cap. in manufac.
$6,275. 6 sch. 198 scholars. Pop. 401.
Royalton, p-v., Amanda t., Fairfield co., O., 40 s. e. Columbus,
385 W. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, about 30 dwellings, and
Royalton, p-t., Berrien co., Mich., 198 w. by s. Detroit, 649 W.
The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,975. Pop. 146.
Royalton, p-v., Boone co., Ia., 14 n. w. Indianapolis, 585 W.
Royalton Centre, p-o., Royalton t., Niagara co., N. Y., 271 w.
by n. Albany, 396 W.
Ruark, p-o., Lawrence co., Ill., 171 s. e. Springfield, 709 W.
Ruckersville, p-v., Greene co., Va.
Ruckersville, p-v., Elbert co., Ga., 118 n. n. e. Milledgeville,
561 W. Situated on Van's cr., and contains a Baptist church, an
academy, 6 stores, and several dwellings.
Ruckman's, p-o., Mercer co., O., 119 w. n. w. Columbus, 499 W.
Rucklesstown, p-v., Burlington co., N. J., 10 s. Trenton, 171 W.
Ruckmansville, p-o., Bath co., Va., 173 w. N. w. Richmond, 193
Ruddle, t.,, Independence co., Ark. It has 8 stores, cap.,
$40,000; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 printing office, 2 weekly
newspapers, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,000. 1
acad. 55 students, 2 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 3,669.
Ruddle's Mills, p-o., Bourbon co., Ky., 42 E. Frankfort, 513 W.
Ruggles, p-t., Huron co., O., 91 n. by e. Columbus, 330 W.
Situated in the s. e. corner of the co. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,500. 6 sch. 266 scholars. Pop. 1,245.
Rumford, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 52 w. n. w. Augusta, 614 W.
Situated on the n. w. side of Androscoggin r., by which, and its
branches, it is drained, and which afford good water power. The
soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Incorporated in 1800. It has
6 stores, cap. $6,200; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 3 saw m., 12
sch. 622 scholars. Pop. 1,444.
Rummerfield Creek, p-o., Wysox t., Bradford co., Pa., 143
Harrisburg, 253 W. The cr. rises in Orwell and flows into the
Rumley, t., Harrison co., O. It has 7 sch. 242 scholars. Pop.
Rumley, p-o., Shelby co., O., 97 w. n. w. Columbus, 491 W.
Rumney, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 47 n. by w. Concord, 525 W.
The surface is uneven; soil, moderately fertile. Drained by
Baker's r. and its branches. First settled in 1765. It has 3
stores, cap. $16,000; 3 tanneries, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,150. 10 sch. 364 scholars. Pop. 1,116.
Rumney, p-v., Muhlenburg co., Ky., 82 w. s. w. Frankfort, 714 W.
Rupert, p-t., Bennington co., Vt., 94 s. w. Montpelier, 424 W.
The surface is mountainous; soil, adapted to grazing. Drained by
Pawlet r. and a branch of Battenkill, which afford water power.
It has 3 stores, cap. $3,900; 9 sch. 346 scholars. Pop. 1,086.
Rural Hill, p-o., Wilson co., Tenn., 16 e. Nashville, 668 W.
Rural Retreat, p-o., Wythe co., Va., 257 w. by s. Richmond, 325
Rural Valley, p-o., Armstrong co., Pa., 190 w. n. w. Harrisburg,
Ruscumb Manor, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is very hilly;
soil, indifferent in quality and cultivation. Maiden cr. runs on
its n. and n. w. border. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 2
tanneries, 1 grist in. Cap. in manufac. $2,900. Pop. 1,189.
Rush, County, Ia. Situated toward the e. part
of the state, and contains 410 sq. ms. Organized in 1821. The
surface is gently rolling; soil, fertile. Drained by Big and
Little Blue rs., and by Big and Little Flat Rock creeks, which
afford water power. Capital, Rushville. There were in 1340, neat
cattle 15,163, sheep 29,091, swine 48,458; wheat 99,712 bushels
produced, rye 5,375, Ind. corn 1,156,707, oats 224,064, potatoes
19,039, tobacco 12,239 pounds, sugar 414,155; 38 stores, cap.
$78,050; 4 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 1 brewery, 18 flouring m.,
17 grist m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $54,956. 48 sch. 1,149 scholars. Pop. 16,454.
Rush, p-t., Monroe co., N. Y., 12 s. Rochester, 218 w. by n.
Albany, 363 W. The surface is undulating; soil, very fertile,
producing large crops of wheat and other grain. Drained by
Honeoye cr., flowing into the Genesee r., which bounds it on the
w. The v. is situated on Honeoye cr., and contains 1 church, 2
stores, 1 flouring m., 1 carding machine, 1 saw m., 30
dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. The t. has 3 stores, cap.
$10,500; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $5,250. 15
sch. 631 scholars. Pop. 1,929.
Rush, t., Susquehanna co., Pa. Drained by Wyalusing cr., and
Lake and Deer Lick creeks. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly
loam. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,025. 10 sch. 340 scholars. Pop.
Rush, t., Northumberland co., Pa. The surface is hilly and
mountainous. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,575. 5 sch. 278 scholars Pop.
Rush, t., Dauphin co., Pa., 20 n. e. Harrisburg. The surface is
very mountainous; soil, sterile. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 3
sch. 48 scholars. Pop. 247.
Rush, p-t., Tuscarawas co., O., 108 e. n. e. Columbus, 307 W. It
has 1 store, cap. $4,500; 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 3 saw m., 8
sch. 499 scholars. Pop. 1,293.
Rush, t., Champaign co., O. Organized in 1829. It contains the
villages of Woodstock and Louisburg. It has 2 stores, cap.
$2,500; 1 tannery, 3 saw m., 6 sch. 179 scholars. Pop. 1,226.
Rush Creek, t., Fairfield co., O. It has the villages of Bremen
and Geneva. Pop. 2,424.
Rushford, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 272 w by s. Albany, 331 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, clay loam and gravelly mold,
well adapted to grass. Drained by Cold cr. The v. contains 2
churches, 8 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m , 90 dwellings, and
about 700 inhabitants. There are in the t. 8 stores, cap.
$17,800; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 2
grist ra., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,150. 9 sch. 272
scholars. Pop. 1,512.
Rushville, p-v., Ontario co., N. Y., 205 w Albany, 331 W.
Situated on West r., partly in Gorham t., Ontario co., and
partly in Potter t., Yates co. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church, an academy, 8 stores, 2 grist m., 1 saw m., 2
furnaces, 90 dwellings, and about 50 inhabitants.
Rushville, p-v., Rush t., Susquehanna co. Pa., 159 n. n. E.
Harrisburg, 269 W.
Rushville, p-v., Richland t., Fairfield co., O. 39 s. e.
Columbus, 366 W. It contains about 40 dwellings and 250
inhabitants, and several mill; in the vicinity.
Rushville, p-v., capital of Rush co., Ia., 40 e. s. e.
Indianapolis, 538 W. Situated on Big Flat Rock cr., and contains
a court house, jail, 3 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1
Presbyterian, 4 stores, 80 dwellings, and about 500 in
Rushville, p-v., capital of Schuyler co., HI. ! 60 Springfield,
833 W. It is situated at the s end of a beautiful prairie, and
contains a courthouse of brick, 2 stories high, a jail, 4
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Episcopal, and
Campbellite, 150 dwellings, and about 1,000 in habitants.
Rushylvania, p-o., Logan co., O., 78 n. w. Columbus, 452 W.
Russell, County, Va. Situated in the s. w. part
of the state, and contains 1,370 sq. mile: Drained by Clinch r.,
and head branches of the w. fork of Sandy r. The surface
consists of mountain ranges and valleys, and is much of rocky
and rough. Capital, Lebanon. There were in 1840, neat cattle
14,404, sheep 15,43 swine 26,945; wheat 59,400 bushels produce
rye 7,898, Ind. corn 294,253, buckwheat 558, oats 142,377,
potatoes 20,658, sugar 106,616 lbs.: 1 stores, cap. $27,800; 8
tanneries, 100 distilleries 25 grist m., 10 saw m., 2 oil m.
Cap. in manufac $29,040. 2 sch. 41 scholars. Pop. whites 7,15
slaves 700, free col'd 26; total, 7,878.
Russell, County, Ala. Situated in the part of
the state, s. of the middle, and contain 865 sq. ms. The
Chattahoochee r. runs on its border, by branches of which it is
drained. Capital, McDonald. There were in 1840, neat cattle
17,375, sheep 1,806, swine 27,201; wheat 11,479 bushels
produced, rye 141, Indian corn 387,534 barley 296, oats 5,341,
potatoes 37,913, cotton 1,112,719 lbs; 13 stores, cap. $47,200;
12 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $36,195. 3 acad. 111
students, 14 sch. 325 scholars. Pop. whites 6,244, slaves 7,266,
free col'd 3; total, 13,513.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!