Sabatus, ME to Saint Croix, County, WI
Sabatus, p-o., Lincoln co., Me., 35 s. Augusta, 578 W.
Sabillesville, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 95 n. w. Annapolis, 66
Sabina, p-v., Richland t., Clinton co., O., 62 s. w. Columbus,
435 W. It contains 2 stores, and a number of dwellings.
Sabine, r., La. and Texas, rises in Texas in lat. 32° 30' n.,
and flows southwardly and enters La. in its w. part, in Caddo
par., and thence forms the boundary between the United States
and Texas. It is 300 ms. long, and, in low stages of the water,
it has but 4 feet of water on the bar at its mouth. It enters
and passes through Sabine lake, 30 ms. long, and from 1 to 7 or
8 ms. wide, before it enters the Gulf of Mexico; but in leaving
the lake, it contracts to a width but little greater than it had
when it entered it. Its course, in its lower part, is through an
extended and sterile prairie. It waters the most hilly parts of
the state, further up, and among those hills are frequent
streams and some lakes and ponds, and oftentimes small strips of
good second rate land. It derives its chief importance from
being the boundary between the United States and Texas.
Sable or Au Sable, r. (See Ausable Rivers, Great and Little.)
Sacandaga, r., N. Y., rises in Hamilton co., having its source
in Oseco, Round, and Pleasant lakes, and some smaller lakes.
Flowing in a winding easterly direction, it empties into Hudson
r., in Hadley t., Saratoga co., opposite Luzerne v.
Sacarappa, p-v., Westbrook t., Cumberland co., Me., 4 n.
Portland, 56 s. w. Augusta, 515 W. Situated on Presumpscot r.,
which here affords extensive water power. It contains numerous
saw and other mills.
Sachem's Head, v., Guilford t., New Haven co., Ct., 3½ s. w. of
Guilford borough. It is a noted watering place on Long Island
Sachem, Grand, Mt, N. Y., called also New Beacon mt., half a
mile s. of the highest point of the Highlands, and is 1,685 feet
above tidewater in the Hudson. Its summit presents a grand and
Sackett's, p-o., Macomb co., Mich., 24 n. by e. Detroit, 548 W.
Sacketts Harbor, p-v., Houndsfield L, Jefferson co., N. Y., 174
n. w. Albany, 415 W. Situated on Black River bay, near the foot
of Lake Ontario, 12 ms. from the lake. It is one of the most
secure and best harbors on the lake, and was a great naval
station during the last war with Great Britain. Incorporated in
1814, and contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal and 1
Methodist, a banking house, 24 stores, 4 forwarding houses, a
ship yard, and rope walk, 3 saw m., 2 furnaces, 1 machine shop,
1 piaster m., 1 tannery, 300 dwellings, and about 2,000
inhabitants. Here are the Madison Barracks, erected by the
United States in 1814. A great water power is created here by a
canal brought from the Black r., near Watertown, a distance of
12 ms. Tonnage in 1840, 3,637.
Saco, r., N. H. and Me., rises in the White mountains, N. H.,
within a few rods of the source of Ammonoosuc r., flowing w. to
Connecticut r., and flows E. through the celebrated Notch, with
a rapid and foaming current, and frequent cascades. It enters
Maine in Fryburg, and pursues a winding course, in a s. e.
direction, until it enters the Atlantic, between Saco and
Biddeford. It has 4 principal falls in Maine of 70, 20, 30, and
42 feet respectively, which afford in the aggregate an immense
water power. Pine timber is found extensively on its banks,
furnishing supplies for numerous saw mills.
Saco, p-t., and port of entry, York co., Me., 15 s. w. Portland,
65 s. s. w. Augusta, 100 n. n. e. Boston, 530 W. Situated on the
e. side of Saco r. It has fine interval land on the r. Watered
by 5 small streams flowing from a fen or bog. The v. is situated
at the falls, 6 miles from the mouth of the r., where is a
descent of 42 feet, creating a great water power, and presenting
an interesting and beautiful view. The v. contains an elegant
Congregational church, a bank, an academy, numerous mills, many
handsome dwellings, and has considerable navigation and trade,
particularly in lumber. Just below the falls is a fine basin,
where vessels take in their cargoes. On the shore is a fine
beach, 4 ms. long, with a beautiful view of the ocean, which
affords a pleasant drive in warm weather. There are in the t. 33
stores, cap. $68,050; 3 cotton fac. 17,760 sp., 3 tanneries, 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $1,020,932. 5 acad. 246 students, 21 sch. 800
scholars. Pop. 4,403. Tonnage in 1840, 3,358.
Saddle, r., N. J., rises in N. Y., a few miles above its s.
boundary, and flows 18 ms. to its en-trance into Passaic r.,
about 1 m. above Acquackanonck. It has a rapid course, and
affords extensive water power.
Saddle River, t, Bergen co., N. J., 8 n. w. Hackensacktown. It
has Saddle r. on its e. and Passaic r. on its s. boundary. It is
mountainous in some parts, but level on the e., between Passaic
and Saddle rivers. The soil is red shale and loam, fertile in
the valleys, and well cultivated. Watered by Singac, Preakness,
Krokaevall, Goffle and Ackerman's brooks. It has 2 stores, cap.
$650; 1 distillery, 4 grist m., 1 saw m., 3 sch. 86 scholars.
Saddleback, mt., Franklin co., Me., a few ms. northwest of
Phillips t., and is 4,000 feet above the level of the sea.
Sadsbury, p-t., Chester co., Pa., 37 n. w. Philadelphia, 59 e.
s. e. Harrisburg, 129 W. Post-office called Sadburyville. The
surface is hilly, soil, gravelly. Drained by Octarara cr. on the
w., and Back run and the w. branch of Brandywine r. on the e.
Sadsburyville v. contains 1 store, and 12 or 15 dwellings. There
are in the t. 10 stores, cap. $23,250; 2 lumber yards, cap.
$4,000; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 2,217 sp., 1
furnace, 2 forges, 2 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m., 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $48,090. 8 sch. 320 scholars. Pop. 2,292.
Sadsbury, t., Lancaster co. t Pa., 16 s. w. Lancaster. The
surface is hilly and rolling; soil, calcareous loam and clay.
Octarara cr. flows on its e. boundary, and affords water power.
It has 3 stores, cap. $10,500; 3 forges, 4 tanneries, 5 flouring
m., 3 grist m. Cap. in manufactures, $17,500. 8 sch. 250
scholars. Pop. 2,093.
Sadsbury, t., Crawford co., Pa. It has 9 stores, cap. $25,300; 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,900. Pop. 2,441.
Saegersville, p-o., Lehigh co., Pa., 91 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 184
Safe Harbor, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa.
Safford, p-o., Perry co., Ia., 134 s. Indianapolis, 653 W.
Sagerstown, p-o., Crawford co., Pa., 240 n. w. Harrisburg, 313
Sage's Ferry, p-o., Jackson co., Ia., 83 s. Indianapolis, 600 W.
Sagg Harbor, p-v., and port of entry, East and Southampton t,
Suffolk co., N. Y., 110 e. New York, 260 s. s. e. Albany, 340 W.
Situated on a bay of the same name, between Gardner's and Great
Peconic bays. Incorporated in 1803. It contains 4 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 African, 35
stores, 1 grist m., 2 wind m. a dry dock, 500 dwellings, and
about 3,500 inhabitants. There are 41 ships employed in the
whaling business, and 6 or 8 sloops in the coasting trade. Salt
is made to a considerable amount by the evaporation of sea
water. Tonnage, 1840, 20,405.
Sagg Village, v., Southampton t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 6 s. Sagg
Harbor. Situated near the ocean, and contains a Methodist
church, and about 25 dwellings.
Saginaw, bay, Mich., a branch of Lake Huron, 60 ms. long, and 30
wide, containing a number of islands, t he largest of which is
Shawangunk island, near the centre. It is navigable for vessels
of any burden, and numerous coves, protected by islands, afford
some of the best harbors on the lake. It receives Saginaw r.
Saginaw, r., Mich., is one of the largest rivers in the
Peninsula. It is formed by the union of Cass r. from the E.,
Flint and Shiawassee from the s., and Tittibawassee from the n.
w. The length of the Saginaw from Flint r., where it commences,
is 25 ms., in a direct line to its mouth, but some of its
branches have four times that length. Its course is n. e. to its
entrance into Saginaw bay. It has a depth of from 25 to 30 feet,
but a sand bar at its mouth has not ordinarily a depth of water
upon it of more than 5 or 6 feet, though an e. wind frequently
raises it 3 feet above its usual level.
Saginaw, County, Mich. Situated toward the N.
E. part of the settled portion of the Peninsula, and contains
1,031 sq. ms. Drained by Saginaw r. and its tributaries. Saginaw
bay lies on its n. e. border. The surface is level or
undulating; soil, a dark, rich, sandy loam, from 18 to 24 inches
deep, on a substratum of clay. Pine timber covers one third of
the co., on the e. and s. e. In the n. w. part, on the bay,
limestone and gypsum are found. Capital, Saginaw. There were in
1840, neat cattle 1,066, swine 1,462; wheat 4,125 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 9,337, oats 2,841, potatoes 16,929, sugar
12,229; 5 stores, cap. $20,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap, in manufac. $43,100. Pop. 892.
Saginaw, p-t., and capital of Saginaw co., Mich., 97 n. by w.
Detroit, 621 W. The v. is situated on the w. bank of Saginaw r.,
23 miles from its mouth. The ground is elevated about 30 feet
above the level of the r. It contains a U. S. land office, a
deputy collector's office, a court house, 3 stores, 2
warehouses, and 2 steam saw m. A steamboat and several vessels
belong to the place. It has great natural advantages, and is
likely to become a place of importance. There are in the t. 5
stores, cap. $20,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $42,200. Pop. 837.
Sail Creek, p-o., Hamilton co., Tenn.
Sailor's Rest, p-o., Montgomery co., Tenn., 60 n. w. Nashville,
Saint Albans, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 50 n. n. e. Augusta, 645
W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Drained by a branch of
Sebasticook r., issuing from a pond, which affords water power.
Incorporated in 1813. It has 4 stores, cap. $10,500; 2 fulling
m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,075. 1
acad. 50 students, 13 sch. 651 scholars. Pop. 1,564.
Saint Albans, p-t., capital of Franklin co., Vt., 26 n.
Burlington, 63 n. w. by n. Montpelier, 537 W. It is bounded w.
by Lake Champlain. The surface is moderately uneven; soil, a
fertile loam, and well cultivated. The v. is situated 3 ms. e.
of the lake, on elevated ground, and contains a court house and
jail, on a handsome pub-lic square, 30 by 25 rods, 3 churches, 1
Congregational, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, a bank, an
academy, a printing office, issuing a weekly newspaper, and
about 100 dwellings, many of them neat. It has a good landing
place on St. Albans bay, with a wharf and several store-houses.
The business of the place is extensive, with a fertile back
country. There are in the t. 20 stores, cap. $80,000; 2
tanneries, 2 printing offices, 2 binderies, 2 weekly newspapers,
4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,500. 1 acad. 80 students, 14 sch.
315 scholars. Pop. 2,702.
Saint Albans, t., Licking co., O., 12 w. Newark. Situated on
Racoon fork of Licking r. It contains the p-v. of Alexandria.
Saint Albans, p-v., Hancock co., Ill., 99 w. n. w. Springfield,
Saint Andrews, p-o., Montgomery t., Orange co., N. Y., 94 s. by
w. Albany, 296 W.
Saint Andrews, bay and sound, situated on the s. coast of
Florida. Its arms extend 30 miles into the country. It is easy
of access, and has 18 feet of water on the bar, and good
anchorage within, sheltered from all winds. The main body of the
bay extends 12 ms. N., with an average breadth of from 2 to 5
ms. One mile from the sea beach, an arm extends 20 miles
parallel with the coast. Ten miles from the sea another arm
extends e. for 30 ms., from 1 to 10 ms. wide. The bay has some
fertile settlements on its borders.
Saint Augustine, p-v., Cecil co., Md., 89 n. e. Annapolis, 101
Saint Augustine, city, port of entry, and capital of St. Johns
co., Flor., 200 e. by s. Tallahassee, 880 W. It is situated 2
miles back from the Atlantic shore, on the s. point of a
peninsula, connected with the main land by a narrow isthmus,
protected from the swell of the ocean by Anastasia island, not
sufficiently high to obstruct the sea breezes or a view of the
ocean. The site of the city, though scarcely 12 feet higher than
the level of the ocean, is healthy and pleasant, which makes it
a favorite resort of invalids from the n. Snow is almost
unknown, and frost is felt only one or two months in the year,
and in some seasons it is not perceived at all. In the summer
the sea breezes temper the heat, and the land breezes render the
evenings cool and pleas-ant. It is in the form of a
parallelogram, fronting e. on Matanzas sound, forming a harbor
sufficient to contain a large fleet in safety. A bar at the
mouth of the harbor has not more than 9 feet of water at low
tide, within which it is 18 or 20 feet. The city is one mile
long, and three fourths of a mile wide. The principal streets
cross each other at right angles, and are narrow, and some of
the streets are very crooked. The houses are generally built of
stone, two stories high. A fine large square opens from the
Matanzas into the e. part of the place, on the w. side of which
stands the court house, which contains the public offices. On
the n. side stands a splendid Roman Catholic Church. On the s.
side is Trinity church, a neat Gothic structure. In front of the
harbor is a neat market place, and the intervals around the
square are filled up with dwelling houses and orange groves.
Fort Marion stands at the n. end of the town, and completely
commands the harbor. The city contains 4 churches 1 Roman
Catholic, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, a U. S.
land office, 20 stores and groceries, various mechanic shops,
500 dwellings, and 2,459 inhabitants. In the s. part of the t.,
fronting the Matanzas, are extensive barracks. A regular packet
runs to Charleston.
Saint Augustine, p-v., Fulton co., Ill., 85 n. n. w.
Springfield, 831 W.
Saint Bernard, Parish, La. Situated in the s.
e. part of the state, directly s. e. of New Orleans, and
contains 150 square ms. It has Lake Borgne on the n. e., and,
for some distance below New Orleans, includes both banks of the
Mississippi. The Gulf of Mexico bounds it on the e. The surface
is level, and the soil, where not to wet for cultivation, is
very fertile, producing sugar, rice, and cotton. There were in
1840, neat cattle 1,862, sheep 1,154, swine 389; Ind. corn
65,150 bush, produced, potatoes 24,185, rice 34,600 pounds,
sugar 4,308,000; 9 stores, cap. $8,300; 1 distillery, 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $385,000. 1 college, 21 students. Pop. whites
1,035, slaves 2,137, free col'd 65; total, 3,237.
Saint Catharines, Island, Liberty co., Ga., lies between St.
Catharine's sound, on the n., and Sapels sound, on the s., and
is 10 miles long and 5 broad. It lies off the mouth of Newport
Saint Charles, Parish, La. Situated in the s.
e. part of the state, and contains 512 sq. miles. The
Mississippi r. passes through it, and Lake Barataria lies in its
s. part. Lake Pontchartrain bounds it on the n. e. It has Lake
Allemande on the w., and Lake Washa on the s. Bayou des
Allemandes washes its s. e. border. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 3,075, sheep 3,223, swine 1,000; Indian corn 207,000
bush, produced, oats 1,500, potatoes 1,500, rice 800,000 pounds,
sugar 10,000,000; 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $60,000. 2 sch. 23
scholars. Pop. whites 874, slaves 3,722, free col'd 104; total,
Saint Charles, County, Mo. Situated in the e.
part of the state, and contains 470 square ms. The Mississippi
r. bounds it on the n. e., and the Missouri r. on the s. e.
Cuivre r. runs on its n. boundary. The surface is various; the
level bottoms and prairies are very fertile. Iron ore and stone
coal are found. Capital, St. Chiles. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 947, sheep 4,606, swine 19,324; wheat 54,144 bush,
produced. Ind. corn 271,251, barley 5,620, oats 48,705, potatoes
25,853, tobacco 301,688 pounds; 23 stores, cap. $158,100; 1
lumber yard, cap. $2,000; 6 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 1
flouring m., 15 grist m., 7 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $80,080. 1 college, 104 students, 2
acad. 57 students, 13 schools 321 scholars. Pop. whites 6,286,
slaves 1,597, free col'd 28, total, 7,911.
Saint Charles, p-o., Kane co., Ill., 189 n. n. e. Springfield,
Saint Charles, p-v., capital of St. Charles co., Mo., 20 n. w.
St. Louis, 110 e. Jefferson City, 828 W. It has an elevated and
handsome situation, on the n. bank of the Missouri r., and is
the first elevated land on the r. above its mouth. The shore is
here rocky, and the alluvial land commences at the lower end of
the town. It has 5 streets parallel with the r., and is about 1½
mile long. It contains a court house, jail, of stone, market
house, of brick, 3 churches, 1 Roman Catholic, 1 Methodist, and
1 Presbyterian, a nunnery, 10 stores, 2 steam mills, 150
dwellings, and 1,457 inhabitants. St. Charles College, under the
direction of the Methodists, is located here. It was founded in
1839, has a president and 3 professors, and about 104 students.
There is a ferry across the Missouri r., and it constitutes the
great crossing place between St. Louis and the n. and w. parts
of the state. There are in the t. 1 college, 104 students, 2
acad. 57 students. Pop. 2,818.
Saint Clair, lake, Mich., is situated between Lake Huron and
Lake Erie, and is 24 ms. long, 30 wide, 90 in circumference, and
20 feet deep. Its hanks are alluvial, elevated 20 feet above the
water, and have a slightly uneven surface. It receives Clinton
r., from Mich., and the Thames and others, from Canada.
Saint Clair, r., or strait, Mich., connects Lake Huron with Lake
St. Clair, and discharges the waters of the great upper lakes,
Superior, Michigan, and Huron. It flows in a southerly
direction, and enters Lake St. Clair in its n. e. part, by 6
channels, the n. one of which, on the Michigan side, is the only
one navigated in ascending and descending the r. It has few
islands, excepting those formed by its outlets. It receives
several tributaries from Mich., the principal of which are Black
r., Pine r., and Belle r.; but no rivers flow into it on the e.
side. It has several flourishing villages on its banks. It is 40
ms. long, half a mile wide, and on an average 50 feet deep, with
a current of 3 ms. an hour, and an entire descent of about 13
feet. Its waters are clear and transparent, the navigation easy,
and the scenery various and beautiful.
Saint Clair, County, Ala. Situated toward the
n. e. part of the state, and contains 840 sq. ns. The Coosa r.
flows on its e. and s. e. border. Wills cr. bounds it on the n.
e. Drained by Canoe, Shoal, and Broken Arrow creeks. Capital,
Asheville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,205, sheep 2,240,
swine 1,972; wheat 21,370 bush. produced, Ind. corn 256,635,
oats 21,000, potatoes 2,190, cotton 362,221; 6 stores, capital
$1,770; 4 tanneries, 11 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 8 grist m.,
5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $670. 9 sch. 398 scholars. Pop. whites
4,505, slaves 25, free col'd8; total, 5,638.
Saint Clair, County, Mich. Situated in the e.
part of the state, and contains 930 sq. ms. The surface is
undulating; soil, fertile. St. Clair strait bounds it on the e.
Watered by Black, Pine, and Belle rivers. Capital, St. Clair.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,101, sheep 3,075, swine 3,029;
wheat 10,836 bush, produced, Ind. corn 11,443, buckwheat 1,230,
oats 12,641, potatoes 40,657; 16 stores, cap. $26,500; 3 lumber
yards, cap. $9,000; 6 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 15
saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$119,000. 13 sch. 28 scholars. Pop. 4,606.
Saint Clair, County, Ill. Situated toward the
s. w. part of the state, and contains 648 sq. ms. The surface is
undulating, and some of it broken; soil, various, some of it
very fertile, the Mississippi r. bounds it on the w. Drained y
Kaskaskia r. and its tributaries, and by Cahokia and Prairie du
Pont creeks. Capital, Belleville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 23,954, sheep 9,733, swine 34,255; wheat 146,524 bush,
reduced, rye 1,539, Ind. corn 630,025, barley 2,367, oats
102,872, potatoes 24,134, tobacco 976 pounds; 2 commercial and 1
commission house, cap. $70,500; 36 stores, cap. $77,000; 1woolen
fac, 2 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 3 flouring m., 11 grist m., 14
saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $122,750. 1 college 125 students, 2 acad. 91 students,
16 sch. 505 scholars. Pop. 13,631.
Saint Clair, County, Mo. Situated toward the s.
w. part of the state, and contains 828 sq. ms. Watered by Osage
r. and its branches. Capital, Osceola.
Saint Clair, p-t., Bedford co., Pa., 113 w. Harrisburg, 139 W.
The surface consists of hills and valleys; soil, clay and loam.
It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,640. 2
sch. 73 scholars. Pop. 1,488.
Saint Clair, p-v., Burke co., Ga., 68 e. Milledgeville, 619 W.
Saint Clair, p-t., capital of St. Clair co., Mich., 48 n. e.
Detroit, 572 W. Bounded e. by St. Clair strait. Watered by St.
Clair and Pine rivers. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain.
The v. is situated on the s. side of Pine r., at its entrance
into St. Clair strait, on the site of old fort St. Clair. It
contains a court house, jail, and a number of stores and
dwellings. There are in the t. 1 tannery, I grist m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $19,500; 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 413.
Saint Clair, t., Butler co., O. Situated on the w. side of Great
Miami r. It contains the v. of Rossville, on the r., directly
opposite to Hamilton. It has 2 sch. 41 scholars. Pop. 1,174.
Saint Clair, t., Columbiana co., O., 11 s. e. New Lisbon.
Watered by Little Beaver r. It contains several villages. The
Sandy and Beaver canal passes through it. It has 2 sch. 51
scholars. Pop. 1,739.
Saint Clairsville, p-v., capital of Belmont co., O., 116 e.
Columbus, 277 W. Situated on the national road. The situation is
elevated and commanding. It contains a brick court house, a
jail, county offices, 6 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1
Methodist, 2 Friends, 1 Unionist, a market house, a bank, 28
stores, 3 printing offices, 200 dwellings, and about 1,500
Saint Clements Bay, p-o., St. Marys co., Md., 81 s. Annapolis,
Saint Croix, r., Me., constitutes the boundary between the
United States and the British Province of New Brunswick. It
rises in Grand lake and pursues a s. e. course to Passamaquoddy
bay. Grand lake is connected with Chiputneticook Lake. The r.
leaves the latter lake 54½ ms. from its mouth, at an elevation
of 332½ feet above tidewater. It has several sets of falls of
considerable height, which afford great water power. It is
navigable 12 ms. for large vessels to Calais, where it is
crossed by a bridge. Immediately above the entrance of Schoodic
r., 20½ ms. from its mouth, it has an elevation of 166 feet
Saint Croix, lake and r., Wis. The r. rises in the dividing
ridge between Lake Superior and Mississippi r., and flowing
southwardly, receives many tributaries, and enters St. Croix
lake, a long and narrow body of water, and passing through it,
it becomes contracted again to the dimensions of a r., shortly
before it enters the Mississippi, some distance below the Falls
of St. Anthony.
Saint Croix, County, Wis. Situated s. w. of the
w. end of Lake Superior. Bounded w. by Mississippi r. Drained by
St. Croix r. and its branches, Rum r. and St. Francis r. Its
territory is very extensive, and not much settled. Capital, St.
Croix. There were in 1840 neat cattle 434, sheep 6, swine 187;
wheat 74 bush, produced, Ind. com 606, barley 79, oats 253,
potatoes 8,0l4, sugar 17,997 pounds; 7 stores, cap $118,500; 3
saw m. Cap in manufac $74,000. 3 sch. 49 scholars. Pop. 809.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!