Saint Croix, WI to Saint Louis County, MO
Saint Croix, v., capital of St. Croix co. Wis. Situated on the
w. side, and near the head of St. Croix lake. It contains a
court house and a few dwellings.
Saintfield, p-o., Muskingum co., O., 66 e. Columbus, 339 W.
Saint Francis, r. Mo. and Ark., rises in St. Francis Co., Mo.,
and flowing s., enters Ark., and receives White Water r., a
large branch which rises in Mo. and flows nearly parallel to it,
and enters the Mississippi in Phillips co. It is navigable in
high water nearly 200 ms. It passes through many lakes and
swamps, yet its waters are remarkably clear, and abound with
fine fish. Saint Francis, County, Mo. Situated toward the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 425 sq. ms. The surface is
hilly; soil, fertile. Drained by St. Francis, Big, and
Establishment rivers. Iron ore is found. Capital, Farmington.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,740, sheep 3,548, swine
10,721; wheat 21,903 bush, produced, Ind. corn 167,275, oats
31,273, potatoes 411, tobacco 13,410 pounds; 11 stores, cap.
$23,950; 5 tanneries, 1 distillery, 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $3,600. 11 sch. 286 scholars. Pop. whites 2,694, slaves
501, free col'd 16; total, 3,211.
Saint Francis, County, Ark. Situated in the e.
part of the state, and contains 1,080 sq. ms. St. Francis r.
runs on its e. border. Drained by Cache and White rivers.
Capital, Franklin. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,508, sheep
559, swine 8,862; wheat 1,438 bush, produced, Ind. com 128,470,
oats 3,942, potatoes 13,790, tobacco 2,502 pounds, cotton 53,338
; 7 stores, capital $24,650; 1 flouring m., 6 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $12,000. 3 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. whites 2,032,
slaves 365, free col'd 2 ; total, 2,499.
Saint Francis, p-v., St. Francis co., Ark., 110 e. by n. Little
Saint Francis, t., Phillips co., Ark. It has 3 sch. 72 scholars.
Saint Francisville, p-v., Lawrence co., Ill.. 178 s. e.
Springfield, 698 W.
Saint Francisville, p-v., capital of West Feliciana par., La.,
136 n. w. New Orleans, 1,170 W. Situated on the e. bank of the
Mississippi, on a bluff, 1 m. from the r., and 160 ms. above New
Orleans. By the Bayou Sarah it communicates with the
Mississippi, and is a noted stopping place for descending boats,
and great quantities of corn are shipped from it. A weekly
newspaper is issued here. It contains a court house, 15 stores,
and 814 inhabitants.
Saint Francisville, p-v., Clark co., Mo., 177 N. Jefferson City,
904 W. Situated on the s. w. side of Des Moines r.
Saint Genevieve, County, Mo. Situated in the e.
toward the s. part of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. The
Mississippi r. runs on its n. w. boundary. The surface is
rolling and broken; soil, on the bottoms, very fertile, upland
but moderately so. Drained by Au Vase and Establishment rivers,
and Coldwater cr. Capital, St. Genevieve. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 4,329, sheep 1,696, swine 10,591; wheat 28,976 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 203,754, oats 18,351, potatoes 2,520,
tobacco 81,855 pounds, sugar 1,175; 6 commission houses, cap.
$12,000; 14 stores, cap. $78,550; 2 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 2
grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,950. 2 acad. 60
students, 4 sch. 92 scholars. Pop. whites 2,563, slaves 548,
free col'd 37; total, 3,148.
Saint Genevieve, p-v., capital of St. Genevieve co., Mo., 61 s.
by e. St. Louis, 190 e. s. e. Jefferson City, 844 W. Situated on
the w. bank of the Mississippi, about 1 m. from the r. It is
built on Gabonrie cr., a small stream, which is sometimes
boatable. It contains a Roman Catholic Church, an academy, some
neat French houses, and about 1,000 inhabitants. Below the v. is
a prairie of 6,000 acres of great fertility, fenced, and
cultivated in common. The inhabitants are chiefly French. The v.
has an extensive trade in lead. There are in the t. 1 acad. 40
students. Pop. 1,607.
Saint George, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 48 s. e. Augusta, 625 W.
Situated on a peninsula formed by the Atlantic ocean on the e.
and s., and Muscongus bay on the w. It possesses great
facilities for navigation, and has considerable shipping
employed in the lumber and coasting trade, and in the fisheries.
Vessels are built here. Incorporated in 1803. It has 10 stores,
cap. $4,850; 1 grist m., 17 sch. 904 scholars. Pop. 2,094.
Saint George, t., Chittenden co., Vt., 8 s. e. Burlington, 28 w.
by n. Montpelier. It is a small t. The surface is uneven; soil,
loam, clay, and gravel. Chartered in 1763. First settled in
1784. It has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 121.
Saint George's, p. hundred. New Castle co., Del., 31 n. Dover,
126 W. It has 10 stores, cap. $30,800; 4 lumber yards, cap.
$6,500; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$13,750. 3 sch. 92 scholars. Pop. 3,127.
Saint Helena, Parish, La. Situated in the s. e,
part of the state, and bordering on Miss. It contains 1,700 sq.
ms. Amite r. runs on its w. border. Drained by Tiefah r. and its
branches. The soil is sterile, excepting on the streams, and is
generally covered with pine timber. Capital, Greensburg. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 5,590, sheep 1,513, swine 16,300; Ind.
corn 102,930 bush, produced, oats 4,978, potatoes 38,782, rice
35,060 pounds, cotton 925,176; 11 stores, cap. $14,500 ; 2
tanneries, 11 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,650. 1
acad. 37 students, 4 sch. 86 scholars. Pop. whites 1,945, slaves
1,573, free col'd 7 ; total, 3,525.
Saint Helena, p-v., St. Helena par., La., 85 N. New Orleans,
1,157 W. Situated on the w. side of Tiefah r.
Saint Inigoes, p-v., St. Mary's 'co., Md., 105 s. Annapolis, 82
W. Situated on a small r. of the same name, which enters St.
Mary's r., a short distance from the Potomac.
Saint James, Parish La. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, a little west of New Orleans, and contains
250 sq. ms. Amite r. bounds it on the n. and the Mississippi on
the s. It contains Jefferson College, at Bringiers. Capital,
Bringiers. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,762, sheep 5,107,
swine 3,290; Ind. corn 155,790 bush, produced, cotton 1,032,950
pounds, sugar 15,157,000; 14 stores, cap. $155,000; 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $246,000. 2 colleges, 505 students, 3 sch. 48
scholars. Pop. whites 2,762, slaves 5,711, free col'd 75 ;
Saint James, p-o., Baltimore co., Md., 62 n. Annapolis, 72 W.
Saint James' Church, p-o., Bedford co., Va., 136 w. Richmond,
Saint John Baptist, Parish La. Situated in the
s. e. part of the state, a little w. of New Orleans, and
contains 260 sq. ms. The Mississippi r. passes through it, and
Lake Pontchartrain lies on its n. e. border. The only land
capable of cultivation is on the margin of the streams, and is
very fertile. It produces cotton and sugar. Capital, Bonnet
Carre. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,620, sheep 2,000, swine
950; Ind. Corn, 208,830 bush, produced, rice 112,000 pounds,
sugar 11,000,000; 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,000. 8 sch. 81
scholars. Pop. whites 2,141. free col'd 191; total, 5,776.
Saint Johns, r., Me., rises by several branches in Somerset co.
Its head waters approach near to those of the Chaudiere, in
Canada, and the Penobscot, in Me., and by a broad sweep it
passes through the n. part of Maine, and below the entrance of
St. Francis r. it forms the m. boundary of Maine until it
crosses the United Suites boundary into New Brunswick, in about
lat. 47° n., where it pursues a s. and s. e. course until it
enters the Bay of Fundy. The Aroostook, a large tributary, rises
in the n. part of Penobscot co., and crossing Aroostook co.
enters it in New Brunswick. The St. Johns is navigable for
sloops of 50 tons 80 ms. from its mouth; and, with the exception
of 2 short portages, nearly to its source, a distance of 350 ms.
The free navigation of this r., secured by the late treaty with
Great Britain, will be of great importance to the n. part of
Saint Johns, r., Flor., This r., or sound, rises in an immense
marsh, elevated but little above the level of the ocean, and
flows northwardly nearly parallel with the ocean, until it turns
suddenly to the e. and flows into the Atlantic. It receives in
the upper part of its course the Ocklawaha, a large branch,
previous to which it passes through Lake George. Its whole
course is about 250 ms. It often spreads from 3 to 5 ms. in
width, though in other places it is not more than one-fourth of
a mile wide. Vessels requiring 8 feet water enter Lake George
and Dunns Lake, 150 ms. from its mouth. At its entrance, it has
12 feet of water on the bar, and it is here only 1 mile wide.
There is a light-house on the s. side of the r. at its entrance.
Saint Johns, County, Flor. Situated in the e.
part of the peninsula, and contains 1,450 sq. ms. Watered by St.
John's and North Rivers, and Matanzas sound. It produces cotton,
Indian corn, and sugar cane; and of fruits, oranges, citrons,
and lemons. It has much fertile land, and some capable of
cultivation. Live oak is extensively found on St. Johns r. In
the neighborhood of St. Augustine the land has long been tilled.
Capital, St Augustine. There were in 1840, neat cattle, 547,
swine 534; Ind. corn 3,175 bush, produced, potatoes 1,126, sugar
25,000 pounds; 45 stores, cap. $81,700; 2 printing offices, 2
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $3,850. 3 acad. 113
students, 4 sch. 77 scholars. Pop. whites 1,685, slaves 888,
free col'd 121; total, 2,694.
Saint Johns, p-o., Allen county, O., 95 n. w. Columbus, 480 W.
Saint Johns, p-o., Hertford co., N. C, 162 e. by n. Raleigh, 291
Saint Johnsbury, p-t., Caledonia co., Vt., 7e. Danville, 37 n.
e. Montpelier, 546 W. The surface is uneven; soil, strong and
fertile, particularly on the r. Watered by Pasumpsic r. and its
tributaries, which afford good water power, bartered in 1786.
First settled in 1788. It has pleasant v., 2½ miles s. of the
centre, containing several stores, and some fine dwellings. At
the centre is a Congregational church. There are in the t. 6
stores, cap. $29,500; 3 fulling m., 1furnace, 3 tanneries, 2
potteries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 5 grist m., 7
saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $92,700. 1 acad. 25 students,
15 sch. 602 scholars. Pop. 1,887.
Saint Johnsbury Centre, p-o., St. Johnsbury t., Caledonia co.,
Vt., 40 n. e. Montpelier,
Saint Johnsbury East, p-o., St. Johnsbury t. Caledonia co., Vt.,
41 n. e. Montpelier, 550
Saint Johnstown, p-v., Sussex co., Del., 31 s. Dover, 119 W.
Saint Johnsville, p-t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 61 n. w. Albany,
394 W. The surface is undulating or hilly; soil, fertile.
Drained by East Canada and Zimmerman's creeks flowing into the
Mohawk r., which bounds it on the s. The v. is situated on the
n. side of Mohawk River and contains 1 church, 2 stores, 2 grist
m., 2 saw m., 1 tannery, 1 sash fac, 1 forge and furnace, 1
carding machine, 1 fulling m., 35 dwellings, and about 250
inhabitants. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $9,000; 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$20,000. 4 sch. 113 scholars. Pop. 1,923.
Saint Joseph's, Bay, Flor., lies within Cape St. Bias, a long
and crooked peninsula. The bay is 20 miles long, and from 7 to 8
wide, with a broad entrance from the s. w., near Cape False,
affording 17 feet of water on the bar. A middle ground occupies
much of the space between Cape False and the peninsula, having
from 9 to 11 feet of water. There is a channel on the s. e. side
of the entrance close to the peninsula, nearly equal in depth to
the n. w. passage. The water becomes more shoal 4 miles from the
s. e. end of the bay. There is a picturesque island, 2 miles
from the s. e. end, covered with live oak, cedar, and palms. The
n. e. shore is intersected by ponds and lagoons.
Saint Joseph's, r. of the Maumee, Mich., rises, by several
branches, in the central part of Hillsdale co. and flows a
southwesterly course, across a corner of Ohio into Indiana, and
joins the St. Mary's at Port Wayne, forming Maumee r. It affords
much water power.
Saint Joseph's, r. of Lake Michigan, rises in the n. e. part of
Hillsdale co., and flows e., and after a broad southerly bend,
in which it enters Indiana, it proceeds n. w. until it enters
Lake Michigan. In length and volume of water it is the second
river in the Peninsula, being 250 miles long, but in a direct
line not more than 150 miles. It is navigable for keel boats 130
ms., to Lockport. At its mouth is a good harbor, and, by a pier,
is sufficient for any number of vessels required by the lake
navigation. There is a sand bar at its mouth, which has 6 feet
of water. It receives many tributaries, and affords much water
power. Its intervals are very fertile, and, in some places,
Saint Joseph's, island, Mich. Situated in the straits of St.
Mary, between George's island on the n. w. and Drummond's island
on the s. e. It is 20 ms. long and 8 broad, at its medial
breadth, dividing the passage into two parts. The s. w. passage
is called Muddy lake, and the United States boundary passes
through it. On its s. extremity are the remains of an old
Saint Joseph's, County, Mich. Situated in the
s. part of the state, and contains 528 sq. ms. Organized in
1829. Drained by St. Joseph's r. and its branches, Prairie,
Portage, Rocky, and Pigeon rivers. The surface is undulating;
soil, very fertile. Capital, Centreville. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 7,865, sheep 3,986, swine 13,864; wheat 131,451
bushels produced, rye 2,438, Indian corn 148,944, buckwheat
2,927, barley 11,323, oats 112,125, potatoes 66,336, sugar
20,250 pounds; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 7
flouring m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,100. 37 sch. 819
scholars. Pop. 7,068.
Saint Joseph's, County, Ia. Situated in the n.
part of the state, bordering on Mich., and contains 463 sq. ms.
Watered by St. Joseph's r. and Kankakee r., which, with other
streams, afford water power. The surface is level, with many
fine prairies and timber land in the s. The soil is fertile.
Capital, South Bend. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,55 1,
sheep 3,668, swine 14,289; wheat 102,620 bushels produced,
Indian corn 197,438, buckwheat 1,920, oats 133,647, potatoes
40,867, tobacco 1,412 pounds, sugar 72,018; 1 commission house,
cap. $2,500; 20 stores, cap. $36,425; 5 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 1 pottery, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 14 saw m., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $128,507.
1 acad. 38 students, 22 sch. 920 scholars. Pop. 6,425.
Saint Joseph, p-t., Williams co., O., 180 n. w. Columbus, 524 W.
It has 1 store, cap. $200; 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $500. 3
sch. 59 scholars. Pop. 192.
Saint Joseph, p-t., Berrien co., Mich., 195 w. by s. Detroit,
652 W. Watered by St. Joseph and Pawpaw rivers, which unite in
the t. Lake Michigan bounds it on the w. It contains St. Joseph
v., capital of the co., situated on the s. side of St. Joseph
r., at its entrance into the lake. It contains a court house,
jail, an Episcopal church, 12 stores, 4 large forwarding and
commission houses, a bank, 2 steam saw m., a printing office
issuing a weekly newspaper, and about 500 inhabitants. It is one
of the most important places on the w. side of the peninsula;
$35,000 have been appropriated for the improvement of the
harbor; it has 2,000 feet of wharf, and 65 feet of water. Three
steamboats are owned here. A bridge across the St. Joseph River
here, cost $15,090. There are in the t. 2 commission houses,
cap. $16,000; 4 stores, cap. $7,900; 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,663. 2 sch. 43 scholars. Pop. 489.
Saint Landre, Parish, La. Situated toward the
s. w. part of the state, and contains 2,000 sq. ms. The surface
and the soil are various. The Atchafalaya Bayou bounds it on the
e., and Bayou Nez Pique on the w. Drained by Teche and Vermilion
rivers. Capital, Opelousas. There were in 1840, neat cattle
69,267, sheep 10,226, swine 20,841; Ind. corn 431,208 bush,
produced, potatoes 74,523, rice 5,000 pounds, tobacco 3,500,
cotton 21,437,190, sugar 400,000; 37 stores, cap. $512,900; 4
tanneries, 3 flouring m., 100 grist m., 8 saw m., 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $78,100. 1
college, 9 students, 2 acad. 120 students, 7 sch. 85 scholars.
Pop. whites 7,179, slaves 7,129, free col'd 925; total, 15,233.
Saint Landre, v. (See Opelousas.)
Saint Lawrence, r., U. S. and Canada, forms the outlets of the
great lakes Superior, Huron, Michigan, Erie and Ontario, and
after a course of more than 2,000 miles, flows into the Gulf of
St. Lawrence. It forms the boundary, with the middle of the
lakes through which it passes, between the United States and
Canada, until it arrives at about, the 45th degree of n. lat.,
though by the late treaty the boundary follows the old line as
formerly settled, which is 1 mile n. of the 45th degree. It has
different names in different parts of its course. From its mouth
to Lake Ontario it is called the St. Lawrence; between Lakes
Ontario and Erie, Niagara r.; between Lakes Erie and St. Clair,
Detroit r.; between Lakes St. Clair and Huron, St. Clair r.; and
between Lakes Huron and Superior, St. Mary's r. It is navigable
for ships of the line 400 miles, to Quebec; and for ships of 600
tons to Montreal. The distance from Montreal to Lake Ontario is
nearly 200 miles. From Quebec to Montreal, it has an average
breadth of 2 miles. At its mouth the Gulf, from Cape Rosier to
Mingau settlement in Labrador, is 105 miles in length.
Saint Lawrence, County, N. Y. Situates toward
the n. e. part of the state, and contain 2,717 sq. ms. The
surface is diversified by gentle swells, broad valleys and
extended tracts of level country. In the s. e. part it is hilly
and mountainous. The soil is generally productive. The St
Lawrence r. runs on its n. w. border for a distance of 75 miles.
Watered by St. Regis, Racket Grass, Oswegatchie, and Indian
rivers, and their tributaries. Some of these are to some extent
navigable, and they afford much water power Black lake is an
expansion of Indian r., 20 mile: long and 2 wide. There are
other small lakes. In the town of Canton, a natural canal, 6
mile: long and from 30 to 80 yards wide, connects Oswegatchie
and Grass rivers and is boatable. The St. Lawrence is navigated
by sloops and steam boats from Lake Ontario, 60 miles, to
Ogdensburgh. Lead ore is extensively found in the vicinity of
Rossie v. Iron ore is extensively found some of it magnetic.
Marble is abundant A railroad has been projected, from
Ogdensburgh to Plattsburgh. Capital, Canton. Then were in 1840,
neat cattle, 61,455, sheep 125,821 swine 41,889; wheat 278,007
bush, produced, rye 23,571, Ind. corn 204,824, buckwheat 34,312
barley 24,018, oats 334,009, potatoes 1,412,272 sugar 848,132
pounds; 2 commission houses, cap $3,000, 155 stores, cap.
$558,000; 16 furnaces, 6 forges, 28 fulling m., 4 woolen fac, 27
tanneries 1 distillery, 2 potteries, 2 flouring m., 45 grist m.
103 saw m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $815,526 4 acad. 761 students, 357
sch. 13,539 scholar; Pop. 56,706.
Saint Lawrence, p-o., Chatham co., N. C 46 w. Raleigh, 334 W.
Saint Leonards, p-v., Calvert co., Md., 56 s Annapolis, 86 W.
Situated between Chesapeake bay and Patuxent r. It contains
about 21 dwellings.
Saint Louis, r., N. W. Territory, after a course of about 200
miles, flows into Fond du Lac, the w. end of Lake Superior. It
is much obstructed by falls and rapids.
Saint Louis, County, Mo. Situated in the e part
of the state, and contains 550 sq. ms. Tin Mississippi r. runs
on its e. boundary, and tin Missouri r. on the n. w. The surface
is undulating; soil, generally very fertile. Maramec r runs
partly on its s. border and partly within it Capital, St. Louis.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 22,877, sheep 8,730, swine
24.441; wheat 59,177 bush, produced, rye 6,138, Ind. con
477,879, buckwheat 1,908, oats 95,306, potatoes 90,988, tobacco
197,045 pounds; 1 commercial and 24 commission houses, cap.
$717,000; 21 stores, cap. $3,875,050; 17 lumber yards, cap
$237,529; 6 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 2 flouring m. 14 grist
m., 13 saw m., 1 oil m., 22 printing offices 6 daily, 7 weekly,
and 5 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $813,700. 2
colleges 252 students, 14 acad. 662 students, 28 sch. 1,056
scholars. Pop. whites 30,505, slaves 4,616, free col'd 858;
Saint Louis, City, and capital of St. Louis co Missouri, is the
largest place in the state, and is situated on the w. bank of
the Mississippi, 18 ms. by water below the junction of the
Missouri. Ii is in 38° 36' n. lat., and 89° 56' w. Ion, for
Greenwich, and 13° 14' w. Ion. from W.; 30 ms. below the
junction of the Illinois; 200 above that of the Ohio; 1,800
miles, by the course the river, above New Orleans; 1,100 below
the Falls of St. Anthony; 120 E. Jefferson City; 808 from
Washington. The population in 1810 was 600; in 1820, 4,598; in
1830, 6,694; in 1840, 16,469, of whom 1,531 were slaves.
Employed in commerce, 845; in manufactures and trades, 2,012;
navigating rivers, &c, 891; in the learned professions, &c, 188.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!